Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: The Whoopi Goldberg Estate

Have we discussed Miss Goldberg's California Estate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2018 9:27 AM

I would describe this as a "tear-down". If the ceilings were any lower, it would be like living in a coffin.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2018 1:33 AM

That checkerboard tile is tacky. Or is it linoleum?

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2018 1:41 AM

Wow that looks like a listing from 1982. Funeral home chic

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2018 1:41 AM

Yes, what's with those low ceilings? Drab.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2018 1:41 AM

In response to the kitchens question...leave it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2018 1:43 AM

It looks like at one time it was a grand entry given that staircase. Maybe Whoop wanted an extra bedroom upstairs and closed it off. You can also tell the old woodwork was pretty ornate but painted over in white.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2018 1:45 AM

The checkerboard tile is marble. But yes in the pictures it looks like cheap linoleum.

Interesting history for the house but who wants to pay millions for art deco in the 21st century. Someone will buy it though just to say they live next door to Steven Spielberg.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2018 1:46 AM

How easy would it be to get marijuana smell out of a house? Does it linger in the walls like regular smoke?

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2018 1:51 AM

The low ceilings are bizarre and claustrophobic. It looks like a funhouse.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2018 1:56 AM

Wow, I'm going to go against the grain here and say I think it's really a refreshing change-- tasteful, tranquil-looking, restrained yet full of character.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2018 1:56 AM

It literally gave me an attack of claustrophobia due to the basement height ceilings. I don't believe have ever seen a residence priced over 500K with such low ceilings(save Trump's hideous penthouse.)

Good luck selling it Whoop. I MIGHT pick it up for 1 mill as a teardown.

I'm kidding, I know the small lot is worth much more than that.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2018 2:01 AM

Atrocious. Are those encyclopedias on that one shelf?

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2018 2:06 AM

It looks like the gardener hasn't been there in two years and the pruning job was done by the realtor.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2018 2:09 AM

Since it's selling unfurnished you have to suspect that it was never well furnished.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2018 2:10 AM

Are the ceilings that low or are those just really shitty photographs? The huge amount of ceiling in each one makes me think the realtor just took some bad pics.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2018 2:11 AM

Those ceilings are normal sized but those are really shitty photos.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2018 2:12 AM

Did she ever actually live there? Some celebrities buy property and never set foot in it. I wouldn't, in this case.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2018 2:16 AM

Well, there's only one kind of chocolate pie you can eat off of THAT floor.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2018 2:16 AM

[quote] The huge amount of ceiling in each one makes me think the realtor just took some bad pics.

If you are right about this, then then Whoopi has chosen an unbelievably bad RE agent.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2018 2:18 AM

"Some celebrities buy property and never set foot in it."

It's called money laundering.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2018 2:40 AM

There is nothing right about a checkerboard foyer

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2018 3:00 AM

Is it an estate estate ?

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2018 3:08 AM

It looks like something left over from The Beverly Hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2018 3:18 AM

R23 Elegant for back in the 1960's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2018 3:21 AM

Chartwell from the Beverly Hillbillies still looks pretty good to me, but it wasn't built as art deco. The architecture isn't now so dated.

AND Chartwell costs a hell of a lot more to buy then Whoopi's digs. $350 million vs $8.795 million. Whoopi's house qualifies as a starter home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2018 3:32 AM

I don't think the ceilings are abnormally low. I think the photos were taken by a tall person, whereas they should have been taken lower to the ground, to give the appearance of higher ceilings. It's actually not a bad house, but the entrance room needs to be opened up. It does look like they dropped the ceiling in the foyer, and it sets the wrong tone.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2018 3:39 AM

Now THAT'S a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2018 3:45 AM

The 'estate' is very '80's and the ceiling heights are claustrophobia inducing nightmares. The property's entrance gate is awful.

Thanks goodness she had the wherewithal to remove the tufted white leather wrap-around sofas and pink-and-gray rugs before the marketing people arrived.

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2018 3:55 AM

Strip out all thew wood - I can't believe that is original. Its a deco house and pretty from outside. Should be minimal inside. The ceilings are low but those are horrible photos. The furniture would all be low sitting and steamline and the rooms would look elegant. This seems like a mans house though.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2018 9:02 AM

Tear down. Aside from the midget ceilings, even allowing for the ghastly fish-eye lens photos, the spaces look awkward.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2018 9:19 AM

i think they should have staged it and taken more professional photos. What kind of shitty real estate agent wouldn't try a little harder for THAT commission?

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2018 9:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!