Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do I cook a simple chicken curry ?

I have chicken, tomatoes, onions, vinegar, garam masala, yoghurt and some other seasonings.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2018 2:34 AM

Sear the chicken. Remove from pan. Saute onions, fresh ginger then add tomatos and cook until soft (mash in pan if possible). Add spices (In addition to garam masala, you can add cayenee pepper and turmeric) and let cook. Return chicken to pan. No need to add yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2018 11:16 PM

There are many more recipes online.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2018 11:44 PM

I'm doing this version this weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2018 12:24 AM

How the fuck should I know?

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2018 12:41 AM

That's why you got sacked, r4.

- Matt

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2018 12:50 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2018 1:53 AM

Anyone who approaches curry with the flippancy of "garam masala....and other seasonings" deserves to be devoured by dholes.

Not to mention being too lazy to Google it.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2018 2:02 AM

This is my basic curry that I use for proteins:

Sauté diced onion in veg oil until golden on medium high, add finely diced garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic but be careful not to burn it. Lower heat and Add 2 heaping teaspoons of ground coriander, one heaping teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or 1/2 a big stick, the grated rind of a lime or a small stalk of lemon grass, and 1/4 teaspoon chili powder or to taste. Stir the spices into the onion mixture and cook it a bit until everything is coated in the spices. Add chopped tomatoes and the juice of one lime and cook them down until they release their liquid and have reduced to a nice thick paste. Add your protein and coat with the mixture well and then add one can of coconut milk (or half a can and replace other half with water) and stir this very well to create your sauce. Bring to a boil and lower to simmer and cover until protein is cooked and sauce is thickened. I salt as I cook in various stages so I’d estimate maybe at least a teaspoon goes in. I avoid black pepper because I think it makes the curries bitter. Add chopped cilantro at the end after you take off the heat and fold it in. Garnish with cilantro on the plate. You could also have added curry leaves at the point when you fry the spices, depending on your taste. You could also use a teaspoon or so of black mustard seeds and let them pop in the oil FIRST before adding the onions. If you like you can sprinkle fatal masala on top of the finished product but i don’t. There’s no one right way to do a curry, but there’s ONE wrong way and that’s to buy “curry powder” already prepared. It’s so much better when you prepare your own spices.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2018 2:12 AM

That’s GARAM masala not ‘fatal’ masala

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2018 2:13 AM

I like your recipe, r8. Except I would saute the chicken first. Hate adding raw chicken to sauces.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2018 2:27 AM

The grocery stores near my house used to sell a curry chicken salad. Now, no one does.

You can buy curry sauces in jars but I'm not sure they're the consistency of a mayonnaise, which is what I need to make my own chicken salad.

So pissed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2018 2:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!