Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Moving Back West Where I Don't Know A Soul

Sick of Beirut and want to head back west. Have my sights on Algiers or Benghazi. Visited both a few times and seems like either could be a good fit. I know Libya is a mess but my mother's family is Misurata and you know what that means. The corporate gentrification is out of control in Beirut. All the creative people have left. I prefer Algiers, really everyone is moving there now - Tel Aviv is over. But the only thing is I don't know anyone in Algiers and fear I'll be lonely even though I'm okay with being alone most of the time. Anyone ever move somewhere that you didn't know anyone? How did you go about meeting people? Anyone live in Algiers or Benghazi and want to tell me what a mistake I'm making? How are the gay scenes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2018 6:09 PM

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Algeria, including kidnappings. Terrorist attacks have focussed on the Algerian state, but attacks could be indiscriminate and include foreigners. There’s also a risk that lone actors target foreigners. You should be vigilant at all times and take additional security precautions.

The main terrorist threat is from Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQ-M) and other regional Islamist groups including Al Murabitun and Daesh-affiliates. There’s also a threat from individuals inspired by Daesh. These groups have been active across the country and pose a threat throughout Algeria, including in Algiers and other major cities.

The Algerian authorities continue to conduct effective counter terrorism operations to disrupt terrorist activity but there’s a continuing threat of further terrorist attacks. You should be vigilant at all times.

If you're in Beirut, head south to Tel Aviv. Definitely the best option.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2018 3:50 PM

I move around, perhaps not in the countries you mention. I joined InterNations and met people in Budapest, Dublin, and Edinburgh. Perhaps an option for you OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2018 3:51 PM

Benghazi would be a great fit for a gay man, OP. Been nice knowing you.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2018 3:59 PM

I get the tongue in cheek but I have honestly had some odd fascination with Algiers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2018 4:05 PM

You know these parody threads were funny at one point, but that was a really long time ago. See thread "Moving To A New City Where I Don't Know A Soul" it has become like a really bad joke by someone who is beyond clueless when it stopped being funny.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2018 4:07 PM

R5 - which party in the picture will have a pleasant evening?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2018 4:21 PM

0/10. How dull of you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2018 4:23 PM

Beirut looks lovely, from what I've seen of it. It's such a shame that it's used as the West's testing ground. It has a definite misogyny problem though.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2018 4:39 PM

If you come to Algiers, you must come to the cashbaaaahh.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2018 6:05 PM

These countries are all shitholes

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2018 6:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!