Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peter Wyngarde is dead to me! DEAD!

Dapper star considered the best dressed man in Britain dies at 90.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2018 8:31 PM

Very put together, but a shame about the hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2018 9:35 AM

Rest in peace. For mid-late 60s/very early 70s fashion/styles in the UK he is handsome.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2018 9:37 AM

I hope he kept diaries...

[Quote] PETER soon learned what a peculiar place the world of actors could be: “I was filming at Pinewood, and had my dressing room in one of those caravans at the back of the studio,” he recollects. “There was a knock at my door; it was the Runner [1] who’d come to tell me that I was needed on-set.

[Quote] “I could tell by the look of shock on his face that something was wrong, so I asked if he was OK. He eventually told me that he’d been to the dressing room next door to mine and he’d witnessed an actor; a huge Hollywood star and one half of a famous TV detective duo, sucking off one of the stuntmen; neither of whom had batted an eyelid at this boy’s presence in the doorway. Said Stuntman also happened to be the lover of another prominent American male actor.

[Quote] “When I approached the artiste concerned and told the Runner had told me, he didn’t bother to deny it; he was just very matter-of-fact about it – as if it was the done thing”.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2018 9:54 AM

Darling, he was an appalling queen!

You could only take him seriously when he was in drag using the drag name 'Fenella Fielding'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2018 9:58 AM

Great innings for someone who seemed to be a dedicated drinker - and smoker! Seriously - you’d be hard pressed to find a photograph of him that don’t include a cigarette tween fingers...

But was he really ninety? More or less I guess. Happened to be googling and reading about him the other day (there’d been reference to him on another thread here) - and apparently he couldn’t lie straight in bed. Constantly made shit up. And his origins were almost as murky as Merle Oberon’s. His actual birthdate was fluid. No one knew for sure. And his growing up in Japanese-occupied China, while pretty fascinating stuff historically - was likely hellish to have lived through.

Gather his career tanked after he was caught in a compromising position with some rough trade in a public toilet back in the day. Though others had weathered that particular storm and endured (John Geilgud, Alec Guinness), Wyngarde did not. Maybe it was because he was promoted as such a sex symbol to women when he hit his prime - and so the reality of where his preferences lay burst the collective frauen fantasy bubbles...? Wonder if he was held in very much affection by his colleagues (not just his agent as in The Guardian obit)

He was pretty fabulous in his guest starring role in one old the old black & white Emma Peel era Avengers episodes - A Touch of Brimstone - with Emma looking amazing as The Queen of Sin... sigh. Good times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2018 10:52 AM

Obe Wan got caught sucking cock in a public restroom?

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2018 11:11 AM

He was scary as "Quint" in "The Innocents" with Deborah Kerr. I bet Deborah's character, Miss Giddens, would have loved to have fucked his ghost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2018 12:13 PM

I think that's a given, R7. EVERYONE wanted to fuck that ghost.

Wyngarde could be very handsome but like a lot of Brits he aged like balls, and those 70s hair and moustache styles didn't do him any favors.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2018 12:26 PM

^ That ghost was just a blur in the background.

He was too camp and effeminate to play a serious role. There's a 1961 horror movie on YouTube called "Night of the Eagle (aka Burn, Witch, Burn!). where he plays an straight role to two insane women. He isn't comfortable at all.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2018 12:34 PM

Gurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2018 12:36 PM

Did he always have the goofy mustache?

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2018 12:43 PM

He isn't on screen in The Innocents for more than a total of a minute or so, but he makes his mark as the ghost that is "handsome ... and obscene."

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2018 12:43 PM

You may also want to check out his 1970 strange LP "When Sex Leers Its Inquisitive Head" that's so far out there and non PC and has a song titled Rape that would have ruined his career if it came out today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2018 1:51 PM

Rape

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2018 1:52 PM

Never heard of him until I read the Alan Bates thread, but thought there was just something about him...And today, it finally hit me--he was Ming the Merciless!

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2018 2:00 PM

Goodbye sexy voice behind the mask...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2018 2:03 PM

at the height of his fame there was a TV commercial, that went:

"Peter Wyngarde SMELLS GREAT!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2018 2:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2018 2:04 PM

Best dressed male personality, 1969

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2018 2:07 PM

It was all that talk about him on the Alan Bates thread. It jinxed him.

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2018 2:09 PM

I watched Burn Witch Burn a few months ago and he was quite attractive in 1962. Within a few years he took to late 60s hair and fashions and looked like hell from then on out.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2018 3:20 PM

I love that kind of over the top 60s/70s fabulosity. I wish those kind of peacock styles would make a comeback, I’m sick of seeing baggy pants and sportswear passed off as stylish clothing.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2018 4:31 PM

Dear R72 I think you need to move to Monaco or Spain. They appreciate beauty more than our own Dumb Jock Doofus Scared Moronic Puritan people here.

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2018 10:21 PM

He has a shirtless scene in Burn Witch Burn....he looked pretty damn good, even by 2018 standards.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2018 12:34 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2018 3:05 PM

^ No bumping here.

You can't flog a dead horse.

Cyril Gumbert was a cypher in the history of Hammer B Movies and Alan Bates' discarded bloodsuckers.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2018 8:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!