Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Please tell me the Dems are not going to cave concerning the government shutdown?

They can't be spineless enough to give into the Repugs on this, right? They won't let the Repugs lie to the point that they give in without the DACA deal that Trump blew up last week, right? Right?

Man, they're gonna cave, aren't they? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2018 5:45 AM

I think they will cave

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2018 6:58 AM

I don’t want them to cave but they don’t have much leverage.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2018 7:05 AM

I saw on Lawrence O. that it looks like they will do a continuing resolution to continue funding at previous levels. This won’t do anything on DACA.

It also wouldn’t increase military spending that Trump wants. What a waste. I’m sure he couldn’t answe the simply question as to what problem is he trying to solve by increased military spending, and how will increased spending solver that problem. To Trump, it’s just pandering to his base.

I mean, why not ask these yahoos if they would be willing to pay 5% more in their taxes to support increase military spending? Because we know they hate taxes, but are willing to flush money down the toilet as long as it’s not their money.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2018 7:47 AM

They will cave because it’s the right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2018 7:59 AM

R4, Meaning what? What makes it right?

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2018 8:03 AM

IIRC, people get angry during shutdowns. Though, most people aren’t at all affected. Upon resolution, the government then pays its employees retractively for not working during the shutdown. The whole thing is theater. I’ll bet the public blames the Republicans for this, since they control both houses in Congress and the Presidency.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2018 8:25 AM

Yeah it all depends on whose PR is better. Brinkmanship is really getting old though. Republicans have poisoned the political process at every level.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2018 8:28 AM

It doesn’t benefit DACA claimants to be viewed as the cause of a federal government shutdown, r5. Especially as they are non US citizens.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2018 9:02 AM

There are too many Democratic senators up for re-election in red states in 2018. Shutting down the government over DACA will not play well in those states. This will be a losing issue for those Dems.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2018 9:08 AM

'Democracy' in the United States is a rigged shop front.

It offers the illusion of choice, of democracy, left and right but in reality there is little difference. They both exist to serve the Capitalist Ruling Class 1%.

Anyone who dared enter American politics with the intention of serving the Working Class would be ridiculed and squashed within seconds by the mainstream media.

If there is a political centre, the Republicans are miles away to the right of it and the Democrats are only a few inches to the left. This is the reality.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2018 11:03 AM

I just want to know if this will effect me getting Doritos and Pepsi for my kids?

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2018 11:13 AM

How can a minority party in both houses of parliament be blamed for a government shutdown? That makes zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2018 11:37 AM

I say call their bluff. As someone who is dependent on the government being funded with a NEW budget, the CR is useless and just kicking the can down the road.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2018 12:02 PM

If they do a continuing resolution, it give the Dems more power the next time it comes up in a week or a month. The Repugs know that. Also, the House is having issues with their own Freedom caucus. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2018 5:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!