Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Has Light French Gray Run It's Course?

I'm planning on having the living room and dining room painted and was thinking of light french gray. I know it's trendy but for those in the know, is it considered over. I hate to be over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2018 10:49 AM

It's your house, your life. If YOU like light French gray, use it.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2018 5:39 AM

But ya' ahhh ovuh, OP, ya' ahhh!

What R1 says.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2018 5:42 AM

Please God, let the fucking miserable "greige" look be over! let there be COLOR everywhere!

That said, it's your house. If you want to keep it in 2015 greige tones for the rest of your life, you go right ahead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2018 5:46 AM

Greige?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2018 5:51 AM

Please, is it really likely our OP will keep the same color for the rest of his/her life? You like that color, you use it!!!!!! It's YOUR home.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2018 6:01 AM

Grey walls are nasty...off white or yellow are not

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2018 6:03 AM

Be very careful with grey. We had a wonderful pale neutral go-with-anything grey in a previous house and trying for something similar we somehow got the most awful blue-grey that changed with the weather and looked completely different in different rooms depending on how much natural light there was, it was an impossible colour to work with.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2018 6:08 AM

R3, will you ever learn how to post a link? Incredible. Just incredible.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2018 6:12 AM

Pill never stop using Grey throughout my house, vows Mr. Brontosaurus.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2018 6:14 AM

[quote] but for those in the know, is it considered over.

Horrors!

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2018 6:15 AM

I’m more concerned about the cheap $10 Home Depot light fixture in Miss Op’s Link.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2018 6:17 AM

[quote] I’m more concerned about the cheap $10 Home Depot light fixture in Miss Op’s Link.

Horrors again!

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2018 6:20 AM

We added a coffee brown accent wall with brass accents but most of the house is either linen grey or white. Not over yet.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2018 6:23 AM

Way over, Op. Might I suggest a lovely pale yellow?

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2018 6:26 AM

My next home will be done in shades of celadon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2018 6:29 AM

1986 called R15,they want their color back.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2018 6:30 AM

OP, I applaud your spelling of "gray" using the US preferred version, which seems to have virtually disappeared since that fifty shades book came out.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2018 6:33 AM

So drab and dismal OP! Put the grey away and add some color... paint is not a huge commitment so don’t be afraid or overthink it.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2018 6:37 AM

love grays.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2018 9:24 AM

Its, god damn it, ITS, ITS, ITS, ITS, ITS, ITS, ITS, ITS.

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2018 9:36 AM

If you're worried about what's in, OP, go for 'ultra violet'. The oddest trend I've seen is to paint everything the same colour, the doors, walls, window frames, the picture rail, and ABOVE the picture rail, etc. so the whole room is like one box, all the same colour. I don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2018 9:46 AM

So what color is in now? I’m thinking of painting my house ivory, with the kitchen peach or pale yellow. One of the other rooms has a high ceiling though so it’s very difficult to paint. I’m thinking a creamy ivory for that one. Any suggestions?

OP, a lot of grays have a blue or purple undertone and they are very difficult to decorate with. I’m having to completely redo the bathroom because the gray turned out to have a pronounced lavender undertone which clashes with other things that can’t be changed, like fixtures and wood tones. Be very careful with your undertones.

There’s a designer called Maria Killam who’s very good at identifying undertones and explaining how they work. Go to her website and read up. She’s also on Instagram and has lots of pictures that show undertones. Pink and yellow undertones can clash badly so it matters. She has a very stodgy, traditionalist style of decorating but don’t let that put you off. She’s very good with color and can help you save a lot of money on mistakes. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2018 9:58 AM

OP I own a painting company and gray is NOT over. At least in NYC. The challenging part is finding the right gray for your needs.

Linen White is over.

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2018 10:04 AM

So long as you follow fashion and not your own personal tastes, you'll be a victim. I have no sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2018 10:06 AM

[quote] Has Light French Gray Run It's Course

Yes, it has - it already looks dated.

Go wild and choose a COLOR.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2018 10:08 AM

R22 - thanks for the useless link, shill. There is not discussion of undertone - just an advert for this lady's expensive seminars on the topic. Did I miss it?

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2018 10:16 AM

We’ve had gray paint since 2002 when we bought our house. We refresh it every 2 years to keep it clean but it’s the same color. I love it. I change the soft furnishings and rugs each season, I’ve got a cupboard full of yellow, green, blue, orange and red cushion covers, glass vases etc. It can look fresh and colorful without changing everything in the room.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2018 10:25 AM

I hear Harvest Gold is making a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2018 10:26 AM

I am not a shill. There’s an entire blog, not just an advertisement.

Go down the list of articles. Or search for undertones. And no, you do not need to go to her seminar to learn anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2018 10:31 AM

Ha ha ha!

You're all pathetic sheep, following fashion. That's probably because your own heads are so empty you don't know what you like. You have to ask other people.

"White linen is so over" lololololololololololololololo

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2018 10:34 AM

This is an article about color trends and gray. Killam says that gray as a paint trend happened because people wanted to get away from earth tones and use brights, and gray is a clean backdrop for brights.

Unfortunately, a lot of designers decided to overdo it and do gray everything, not just walls, probably because it’s easy. So you get that high-end prison look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2018 10:41 AM

In Manhattan, I've always liked white white. Alpine - Artic white. Such as All White by Farrow & Ball. Or the "WHITE" you could buy at the local hardware store to splash all over your imperfect and aged loft.

18th Century bold colours look nice in Providence, Boston, New England generally.

London is for 60's power pop colours. Or Arts and Crafts wallpapers.

Paris is for greys and beiges, greens, gold tones, burgundy.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2018 10:41 AM

I think one should consider - mirror, metal, wood, burlap, as wall "colours"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2018 10:45 AM

I had a lover in the 80's who squatted a bank in Brooklyn. His wall colours were white marble and bronze. It was FAB.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2018 10:46 AM

I really hope that gray tone isn't over - we just had the facing walls in our hallway done in it. I actually thought the color would be darker on the walls than it turned out to be, but I can live with the result.

We do have a number of dark-colored masks hanging in the space, so that offsets the monochrome a bit. The problem with the hall is limited light -- it doesn't have any windows of its own, just what comes in from the rooms on either side.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2018 10:49 AM

I hate white, grey, beige, brown, peach, and teal/aqua walls.

why don't people use beautiful colors?

there is beautiful wallpaper now, too

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2018 10:58 AM

It seems that blazing all-white is all I see anymore in decorating articles and ads. Talk about 1965 calling back! All that white (walls, furniture, cabinets, whatever) actually hurts the eyes. I repainted the whole house last year. Gray mostly and teal in my bedroom/bath. Only the gray came out gray-blue. At first I was disappointed but it turned out to be such a soft shade (Behr-Heather Gray) that I actually like it now. I read recently that homes painted in any shade of blue sell faster that any other color. As if the buyer couldn't repaint if he didn't like the color, jeez! Anyway, trends come and go, it's impossible to afford to keep up with the rapid changes. Before this paint job, I had soft yellow throughout and it was lovely for 14 years. I'd do it again, but I do like my new gray color and am not looking to repaint anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2018 11:09 AM

I like it.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 11:33 AM

I hate the "accent wall." Or maybe just the term "accent wall."

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2018 11:39 AM

I had a dear friend who had a grey room.

And then she killed and killed again.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2018 11:45 AM

Gay Gray is always in.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2018 11:50 AM

The latest trend is that you all tip a pot of orange paint over your heads. It's so 'in'. It's the latest thing in Paris, London, Rome, New York.

It must be a 'traffic cone' orange though, otherwise it won't look authentic.

Once you've covered yourself in orange paint you roll yourselves across your walls. It needs to look like a Jackson Pollack for that authentic 'post modernist, empty headed, charlatan, overpaid interior designer has a nervous breakdown' look.

Once you've completed that quite simple yet effective task you take photos with your phone and send them to Harpers magazine who will then add them to their 'latest must have trends' page.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2018 11:59 AM

it's alright and it is classic. I prefer a grey with a little green in it or maybe blue. Like Coastal Fog and please do an accent wall. Teal is very in right now.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2018 12:00 PM

Teal is a great morning colour. I wouldn't put it in a west facing bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2018 12:05 PM

Oh please, who cares whats in or out, design a room for your own taste and it will never go out of style because you should not be trying to fallow trends in the first place.

I have probably had over 3 different courses of color theory going design schools growing up in my 20's and at the end of the day its all subjective. Red for example can mean purity in Chinese culture and anger or aggression in American culture. Purple can represent death in areas of the country like New Orleans and represent Royalty in the UK. Yellow can represent a bright sunny day or danger like that of a traffic signal or tail lights.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2018 12:05 PM

Only people with no minds of their own follow fashion.

The irony comes from the reality, that they are actually following those who don't follow fashion themselves. They are following the ones who break the rules, doing what they want instead of being a sheep.

Forget everything I just said. The orange thing (R4) is very in right now. Do what they do. Don't think about it, just do it.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2018 12:15 PM

I see a red door and I want to paint it black.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2018 12:16 PM

I’m a fan of all white walls and trim. Houses with each room a different color look like dollhouses.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2018 12:16 PM

Gray is less trendy than green. Different greens go in and out of style constantly. It's a neutral, so it won't ever be truly out.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2018 12:24 PM

The link below, Know Your Neutrals, helped me with gray undertones. You should be able to tell the undertone of a paint color by looking at the darkest color on the paint chip.

I think I’m going with Behr paint, Silver Drop for the kitchen, Dolphin Fin for the living room and Venus Teal for the entryway. Now finding a trim color is another story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2018 12:43 PM

My friend Imelda, she did the orange paint thing.

She covered herself in bright orange paint and rolled across her white loft conversion Manhattan apartment walls. She tried a bit of method acting, just to get in the spirit of things and smashed a few windows with her bare fists too.

It looks totally fabulous!

Next thing she knows, she's got Bianca Jagger knocking on her door asking to borrow a cup of sugar. She can't get rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2018 12:45 PM

I joked to my dear friend Princess Marie Louise of Prussia, the wife of Count Rudolf von Schonburg-Glauchau, would she do the orange thing for my pool house in Marbella? The Princess smiled and offered to send me someone who would. The most stunning Berber I've seen in my life!

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2018 12:50 PM

The color of the paint on the wall is easily fixed, OP. If you're thinking of selling any time soon, then stick with very light and neutral colors. Scarlet, Eggplant, Chartreuse... those don't help sell a home.

The sad news is that the very dark stain on your hardwood floors is now deeeeeeeply unfashionable. Getting that problem alleviated is going to be much, much more difficult.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2018 12:56 PM

I have it from reliable interior design sources that Yoko Ono has done the orange paint thing too, throughout her Dakota building apartment.

Just like her though - she decided to do it her own way.

Instead of drenching herself in orange paint she drank mouthfuls of it (without swallowing) in an attempt to projectile vomit the orange paint onto the walls using the primal screaming technique she enjoyed in the 70s. The neighbours heard this terrible gurgling sound apparently.

Unfortunately it just looks like she's been violently sick after eating too many Starburst, so she'll have to spend thousands on an interior designer to get it back to how it was. She was inconsolable.

by Anonymousreply 54January 18, 2018 1:03 PM

When you entertain friends and other guests, and you are afraid of them judging you for bold interior design choices, you should go with neutral and muted colors for wallpaper and furniture and use bold colors in accessories of the season sparingly. Do not use loud fabric or wallpaper with big or oversized patterns in any rooms your guests might see (maybe the powder room if you want them to be there as little as possible).

There is some pretty useful information about picking the right wallpaper color at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 18, 2018 1:43 PM

Nearly my whole house is Benjamin Moore Ballet White and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2018 3:07 PM

I love my Grey Garden

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2018 3:11 PM

I despair for Datalounge sometimes. It seems full of philistines.

For the record, it's not "the orange paint thing" (rolls eyes). It does have a proper name: 'hommage à la etruscus', and the previous poster is correct - it is indeed all the rage (but only in fashionable circles).

The colour in question is etruscan orange which luckily aligns quite closely with that of many traffic cones, giving it a contemporary, industrial, postmodernist and edgy 'vibe'.

I have to say; it's quite exciting but I haven't quite plucked up enough courage to attempt this bold statement myself. (I can't bring myself to douse myself in paint and roll across my walls, sadly I may have to employ someone to execute this particular task.)

Legend has it that British artist Tracey Emin was painting signage on a large wooden placard in her living room, she was painting large capitals using etruscan orange paint, to place next to the roadside outside her home: 'Paintings for sale - £1 bargain!!'.

She wobbled and slipped off her stepladder, kicking the tin of paint against the wall with a loud "For Fuck's Sake!". Minutes later a world famous fine art critic (no names mentioned) walked into the living room to meet Ms Emin for a pre arranged interview, saw the wall covered in splashed paint and declared it a work of "precocious genius".

by Anonymousreply 58January 18, 2018 3:19 PM

r58, = sad & pathetic

by Anonymousreply 59January 18, 2018 3:30 PM

I've just decorated the dining room. My friend Jocasta popped round unexpectey and saw my freshly adorned white walls. "You've got the same Benjamin Moore Ballet White!" she squeaked excitedly!

I just smiled and pushed the tin away with my foot. I used Wilko brilliant white, unfortunately tainted with some cat litter. But I stirred it in and it looks fine. I'm happy as Larry.

by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2018 3:34 PM

Lesbian Lavender is THE color for 2018. Seriously!

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2018 3:40 PM

R58 is my Ignored Poster #13. Overly aggressive SJW or T. Or both.

by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2018 3:41 PM

Benjamin Moore's Decorator's White is really the only paint color that one should ever use. A blank envelope to let your furnishings, accessories and PEOPLE shine. Egad with all this color everyone seems to think they need.

by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2018 3:42 PM

I like that, too, r63. It reminds me of pre-war apartments in NY before "fabulous" took over.

by Anonymousreply 64January 18, 2018 3:45 PM

R1 here. Forgot my picture all those hours ago.

Call me "Proud Smiling Cow."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 18, 2018 3:51 PM

French Gray. What's French about it? Looks the same color as the corridors at my local hospital

by Anonymousreply 66January 18, 2018 4:15 PM

A flyover friend had a brunch to show offer her new interior paint job. "I finally have my colors", she declared proudly.

Everyone agreed it looked like a low end Mexican restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 67January 18, 2018 4:39 PM

Red, green, and gold, r67?

by Anonymousreply 68January 18, 2018 4:42 PM

You're all insufferable snobs.

by Anonymousreply 69January 18, 2018 4:43 PM

(Ahem..)

[quote] Grey walls are nasty...off white or yellow are not

My bedroom in my present home had a single yellow wall..uh, no. A pale grey worked with what I needed that wall to be, so..

[quote] Be very careful with grey. We had a wonderful pale neutral go-with-anything grey in a previous house and trying for something similar we somehow got the most awful blue-grey that changed with the weather and looked completely different in different rooms depending on how much natural light there was, it was an impossible colour to work with.

Exactly my experience. I could see the blue in this "gray" and kept hoping with each successive coat it would go away, but no. It looks somewhat acceptable in sunlight, but with any kind of artificial light, it looks like colonial or federal blue. And yeah, it goes with precisely nothing. I'm going to replace it, but I'll buy the paint from somewhere that will allow me to see the percentages of pigment BEFORE I choose a color. Otherwise, I'll just get a base white and a small can of black and mix it myself.

by Anonymousreply 70January 18, 2018 4:50 PM

Can someone please give me advice? My dining room has wood trim, moldings, windows and half-wall paneling. The finish on all of the wood is very poor and is an orangey brown. A painter told me if I wanted to refinish it I would need to remove it all, sand, restain and seal it all and put it back. Or I could just paint it all linen white. The walls above the paneling are a very rich cream color. The floors are kind of a "driftwood" finish, similar in color to the link. Any thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 18, 2018 4:59 PM

R63 it's too white for me. Hurts my eyes.

I prefer frostine or simply white.

by Anonymousreply 72January 18, 2018 5:03 PM

I think you're all just HORRID!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2018 5:15 PM

[quote]The sad news is that the very dark stain on your hardwood floors is now deeeeeeeply unfashionable.

You could not be more wrong. Dark wood floors are ragingly popular. It's the dark trim work that needs to be changed to white---and that's a pain in the ass.

Gray walls are also very popular still, with white doors and trim and dark wood floors. It's a standard template we use that sells homes fast...and at top dollar (all we care about). You add color, texture and personality with furnishings (lots and lots of bright pillows, throws, etc.) that can be inexpensively changed when you get bored as fuck with bright orange.

OP---here's a tip for you because I've tried every gray there is. Go with Sherwin Williams "Repose Gray". You'll come back here to thank me.

You're welcome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 18, 2018 5:16 PM

"...ragingly popular..." There you go. Could be no stronger proof that it's just about to be OVAH. And you'll be stuck forever with your "... standard template..." dark stained floors that show every effing speck of lint or dust.

by Anonymousreply 75January 18, 2018 5:22 PM

Dark floors, gray walls, white trim, antique bronze hardware. That's the gold standard right now......always paint the risers on the steps white as well (no carpet on steps---evah).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 18, 2018 5:23 PM

[quote]The sad news is that the very dark stain on your hardwood floors is now deeeeeeeply unfashionable.

Speaking of dark stain hardwood floors... I noticed that friends whose homes do not have a lot of natural light choose dark floors, which does not make much sense to me. But a lot of people with no taste, but enough money, self-design and decorate.

by Anonymousreply 77January 18, 2018 5:26 PM

We don't live there R75. People want it so that's what they get. They probably figure out that dark wood floors are difficult to maintain after they buy and live there a while. By then we're on to the next house.

We give people what they want. When they start wanting blond wood floors again, that's what we'll do.

by Anonymousreply 78January 18, 2018 5:28 PM

Wood stained trim is unfashionable in any color, light or dark (screams 80's--at least in the northeast). It has to be white.

by Anonymousreply 79January 18, 2018 5:30 PM

Not in a nyc townhouse or brownstone.

by Anonymousreply 80January 18, 2018 5:33 PM

r79, what about windows and doors?

by Anonymousreply 81January 18, 2018 5:34 PM

A lot of green undertone to that gray, OP. Color is so tricky. That site you linked, Kylie Interiors is really helpful about paint color for rooms. If you want a consultation her prices aren't bad either.

by Anonymousreply 82January 18, 2018 5:38 PM

Call me Mary! but I do believe that interior design is a science in itself. You might think it's so easy to come up with a cohesive and visually appealing concept and execute it in no-time, but it's quite difficult and hard to make a room look that beautiful and effortless (so it doesn't scream "he / she tries way too hard!".

by Anonymousreply 83January 18, 2018 5:45 PM

r76 - horrid fake old. ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 84January 18, 2018 5:50 PM

If you must have something new, why not "marble" and lucite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 18, 2018 5:55 PM

R50 is right. Look at the darkest color on a paint chip to see what the subtle tone of the lighter colors will be when you paint a wall with one of them. Even neutrals can look a little green, pink, brown/tan, or blue after a whole wall or room is painted.

When prepping to sell our house last month, we painted most of our living areas with Sherwin-Williams "Popular Gray", which looks beige in some light and more of a grey putty color in other lighting. It's fairly nondescript, but our bright white trim really pops. This was on the advice of our real estate agent. We do like having more color on the walls, but lots of people liked the neutral walls. Multiple offers in 1 day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 18, 2018 6:00 PM

My favorite grey - Ralph Lauren Dover Cliffs. My favorite neutral - Ralph Lauren Rice.

Although I have read that Ralph Lauren is not the best quality paint (forgot if it's Sherwin-Williams or Glidden, or one of those brands), the colours, and speciality paints were great. Home Depot doesn't sell it any longer, so it may be hard to find, if still available?

by Anonymousreply 87January 18, 2018 6:10 PM

Ecoutez-moi les enfants!

Light is additive; its 3 primary colors are red, green and blue. Adding more color makes it brighter until you have white. Paint is subtractive. You only see pigment because light (containing all colors) is present. Paint absorbs some colors and reflects others, so adding more and more pigment prevents less reflection and less light. Add too many colors and you have black because almost all light is absorbed. Mixing two primary colors of light makes one of the primary colors of paint. Blue and green light make cyan pigment. Blue and red light make magenta, and green and red make yellow. With these 3 colors you can produce any other color. Paint is yellow because its chemical absorbs light's blue component but reflects red and green. Cyan paint absorbs red but reflects blue and green. So when yellow paint is mixed with cyan, the combo absorbs blue and red light, and the only color that both pigments reflect is green.

Oh and green light cannot be created with any mixture.

by Anonymousreply 88January 19, 2018 2:45 AM

1. The best paint is Benjamin Moore. Benjamin Moore's premium paint Regal Select is so good you don't need to spend the extra money to buy the company's top of the line Aura label.

2. The paint colors all are mixed by the same kind of equipment, from the same pigments, regardless of where you buy it. If you like. for example, a Behr color, you can take a Behr chip to a Benjamin Moore store. The salesperson can look up the formula and mix for you that exact color. It won't be read by an optical scan. The formula itself is available. Just punch in the numbers and it's done. Just like every Home Depot across the country can mix the same Behr colors, a Benjamin Moore store can do it for you, too.

Find the color you want and have it produced by Benjamin Moore. Its paint really is the best on the market.

by Anonymousreply 89January 19, 2018 3:15 AM

R74 Thank you, that's just the color I wanted (OP here). I'm going with Repose Gray with a creamy white trim. My floors are mahogany-ish. Now for the lamps. Do I stick with the rectangular shades or go to drum shades?

by Anonymousreply 90January 19, 2018 3:44 AM

I like a drum shade R90. How tall are the lamps? What style?

by Anonymousreply 91January 19, 2018 5:15 AM

Why not paint it in the colour scheme of the era of the house?

by Anonymousreply 92January 19, 2018 6:00 AM

I just finished reading a book by Elsie De Wolfe, and grey was a go to wall color for her. Grey, cream, light green. So evidently it's a fad that's been around for generations.

That bitch was a terrific snob, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 93January 19, 2018 6:47 AM

R90, go with drum. Rectangular shades are a pain to keep straight (the four sides squared and even with end tables). You will find yourself constantly having to tweak them so they aren't off kilter.

Keep in mind how paint colors will look when moving from one room to another. We use SW Repose Gray for all the common areas and add complimentary colors to bedrooms. These colors go well with Repose Gray:

SW Sea Salt

SW Krypton

SW Lemon Meringue

SW Kilim Beige

SW Cream

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2018 9:31 AM

Paint 'em gray, they're your walls!! It's your space, you live there.

by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2018 10:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!