Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends- New Orleans mansion

I present a New Orleans mansion that was once owned by Ann rice. The interiors have gone through an extensive renovation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2018 11:00 AM

Where did Lestat sleep?

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2018 1:42 AM

I thought it was bad when Rice did it up like a wannabe N'Awluns ho house, but this is much worse.

No self-respecting Creole cook would go near that kitchen.

Boooooooooooooojie.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2018 1:45 AM

Except for those couches and the rug I love everything about it. There are so many places that l could get split open by some cajun cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2018 1:47 AM

Kitchen "islands" are the most depressing thing in the world.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2018 1:50 AM

Awful awful awful

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2018 1:50 AM

That kind of money to live in New Orleans?. No thanks. You're never far from an area where you'll get your throat cut, no matter how nice the neighborhood is you're in.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2018 1:51 AM

love the house except the kitchen which is awful.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2018 1:51 AM

I would love to see the original interiors. The remodeling job looks cheap

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2018 2:01 AM

It looks haunted

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2018 2:07 AM

Yikes! When did she remodel ,1986 ? Its got great bones ,but what R6 said. Katrina shattered that fragile detente New Orleans had between the races. Ive got a good friend that is a native,was a lifelong quarter resident,and even he threw in the towel a few years ago and lives in Pensacola now. Crime is far more rampant than they are telling anyone.Has been for years. But the thugs used to leave the quarter strictly alone,after all,that brought the money in. Now,its no holds barred.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2018 2:13 AM

Aside from the McMansion style upgrades, it's wonderful.

I was recently looking at real estate in the town where I went to high school and I can't believe how many really great old houses have been given the hideous McMansion treatment.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2018 2:14 AM

Whoever covered those sofas should be jailed

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2018 2:15 AM

Ucch, its just like my first night with with my college boyfriend, that thing is way too big.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2018 2:22 AM

you will never get your money back. NOLA housing market will eat you alive.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2018 2:22 AM

Yet you have morons paying $350,000 for a shotgun shack,R14. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2018 2:25 AM

Just left New Orleans. Bought an old, really cool camel-backed side hall house near the quarter years ago for almost nothing, and sold at the top of a hot market for the neighborhood. So glad to be gone...

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2018 2:28 AM

All that marble flooring would be cooling in the summer, but all I can think of is how one slip and fall would split open a head.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2018 2:42 AM

No garage? Am I supposed to park my car uncovered or pull it up into the covered patio with the fireplace?

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2018 2:59 AM

I love New Orleans. A lot of wealthy people buy the 4th or 5th home there after the beach, lake, mountain spot. Food is phenomenal. Crime IS rampant and serious.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2018 3:04 AM

Creepy looking place. ( And not just the kitchen.)

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2018 3:46 AM

I know this one personally. Better house and twice as large for the one in the OP. The Tiffany lighting and fireplaces are stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2018 3:49 AM

If I had that kind of money, I wouldn’t live in the Garden District.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2018 5:54 AM

That house is better @R21 Where would you live? The French quarter? I’m asking as a person who is unfamiliar with New Orleans. Sad to hear that it’s so violent now

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2018 7:01 AM

Love the house itself, but they've ruined so much of it with that hideous, cheap-looking redo. That kitchen/ living area is particularly awful.

I wonder if the fireplaces and other fixtures are original... some of them are nice.

And yes, what the hell is that covered patio thing at the back (with a fireplace????) supposed to be?

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2018 7:26 AM

It's beautiful and then you hit the kitchen which was apparently renovated into an open floor plan with island and it is very jarringly different from the rest of the house. Same with the master bathroom and closet.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2018 8:25 AM

Agreed, r25. A lot of the interiors look fantastic, but that kitchen is practically a hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2018 8:46 AM

R21 's link has a place for a glory hole in the bathroom

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2018 11:33 AM

R21 I knew the owners/residents in the early 80s, An atty who was friends with my atty husband. Is that perhaps who you knew as well?

R22 That is not the Garden District, It is Uptown.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2018 12:24 PM

I actually like the earlier iteration of the mansion (I guess post-Anne Rice, but prior to the latest redo) better.

The look is a bit chaotic, but less overdone -- more like what I imagine a house like that organically resembles after several generations of residents have come and gone:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2018 12:29 PM

the pre Anne Rice is elevenseventybillion times better.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2018 12:38 PM

I'm not a huge fan of center hall houses of that era.

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2018 1:09 PM

Kitchen is HUGE and cold feeling.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2018 1:17 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2018 4:56 PM

Looks like termite heaven.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2018 5:20 PM

1887 would like it's rooms back.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2018 5:35 PM

Hate the new version, like the 2014 version. The "improvements" took away any charm or authenticity it once had.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2018 5:44 PM

Before Katrina NO was incredibly violent. I guess some of them stayed. The ones that were sent to Houston freaked out the Houston gang members and the black communities. They got to Houston and immediately wanted to take over and the Houston gangs were shocked by them. It caused a huge problem for the lower socioeconomic neighborhoods and law enforcement in Houston. School age NO gang members from different gangs were fighting each other in the public schools to take over the schools and the Houston school gangs just stood back and stayed out of it. They quickly got a rep for being incredibly more violent then Texas gangs.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2018 8:23 PM

R21 I knew the previous owners, the Schoen's, and the current owners. They had neglected the house. I remember walking in and thinking way back when and thinking "Well this is a dump." It is amazing what some Murphy's oil soap and white paint did for that interior. I did not appreciate craftsmanship like that when I was a young one.

The current owners have done a whole lot of work to that house, all new electrical, plumbing and HVAC in the 20 years they've owned it. I figure they have spent easily a million doing the renovations and they did it with virtually free labor from his construction company.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 10:00 PM

New Orleans is a fucking shit hole. It is below sea level. You have to be an idiot to live below sea level so close to the gulf.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2018 10:18 PM

This house is in the garden district, in NOLA. There is really nothing to walk to there. People like buying cheap in NOLA and fixing it up overtime. You never make your money back though.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2018 10:22 PM

I hate the tile floors in the first house. It would be interesting to visit as a house museum but not so sure about the livability. It would probably suit a New Orleans belle/drama queen. One who spends all year feverishly planning her Mardi Gras float.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2018 10:33 PM

The second house is very pretty. The stairs look really steep, trip and fall all the time steep. They would not be to code these days, probably grandfathered in. Visited an open house for a nice Victorian here, the stairs were so steep that you'd perish in no time in that place. They took it off the market and re-did the foundation but the steep stairs remained.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2018 10:36 PM

The kitchen has the feel of a morgue, cold and sterile.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2018 10:39 PM

R43 You're right. I even saw corpse bits on one of the counters.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2018 10:41 PM

R38 Ke__n Schoen?

Sorry to be so curious but I knew him well 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2018 10:42 PM

"1887 would like it's rooms back. "

1257 would like its grammar back.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2018 10:48 PM

The two houses across St Charles from the pic ar r21 are way more beautiful than either shown in this thread (for r28 and those that know N.O.). They are two of the most beautiful in the city.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2018 12:04 AM

I'm getting painful Scientology/Multi-level Vertical Marketing Company/AA Retreat vibes from the first house.

My ESP tells me the location has definitely hosted team-building events and plaques have been handed out IN THE HOUSE ITSELF!

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2018 12:16 AM

R45 I knew Robert Schoen and his wife. They sold the house and moved to Covington and he passed away in mid-2010. They were in the funeral home business, I don't remember any of them being lawyers.

There are several houses in NO I'd choose before either of these. I was just posting on the real estate available in New Orleans that was comparable (and a better value IMO) than the OP house. I grew up on St. Mary Street in the LGD and would prefer to live uptown if given the choice (actually I prefer, and reside in, Old Metairie). New Orleans proper is a trainwreck of expensive taxes, crappy services and high utilities unfortunately. If you purchased the house I posted, the taxes would be almost $87,000 per year.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2018 4:36 AM

Old Metairie is nice.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2018 4:42 AM

R49 Kevin Schoen is part of the Schoen Funeral Directors group, I am also close to the daughter of the original Briede Funeral Directors name Irene, now Lutkewitte.

I like Old Metairie and I can understand how it could be a very favorable alternative to Uptown these days post-Katrina.

I lived on Henry Clay Ave,, Arabella St near Langenstein's, and eventually State St, 2 blocks below the Avenue. I've been away from NOLA since 1988, but it is truly in my blood. I have always had the feeling that I could move back and seamlessly fit right back in as though I had never left. That may not be true, but it feels that way.

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2018 11:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!