Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NY Times devotes yet more space to "neglected" deplorables

And they are as stupid and uniformed and brainwashed as you'd expect.

[quote]‘Vision, Chutzpah and Some Testosterone’

The Times editorial board has been sharply critical of the Trump presidency, on grounds of policy and personal conduct. Not all readers have been persuaded. In the spirit of open debate, and in hopes of helping readers who agree with us better understand the views of those who don’t, we wanted to let Mr. Trump’s supporters make their best case for him as the first year of his presidency approaches its close. Tomorrow we’ll present some letters from readers who voted for Mr. Trump but are now disillusioned, and from those reacting to today’s letters and our decision to provide Trump voters this platform.

[quote]To the Editor: Donald Trump has succeeded where Barack Obama failed. The economy is up, foreign tyrants are afraid, ISIS has lost most of its territory, our embassy will be moved to Jerusalem and tax reform is accomplished. More than that, Mr. Trump is learning, adapting and getting savvier every day. Entitlement reform is next! Lastly, the entrenched interests in Washington, which have done nothing but glad-hand one another, and both political parties are angry and afraid. Who knew that all it would take to make progress was vision, chutzpah and some testosterone? STEVEN SANABRIA - OAKDALE, CALIF.

[quote]To the Editor: I voted against Hillary Clinton more than I voted for Donald Trump. That said, President Trump has exceeded my wildest expectations. Yes, he is embarrassing. Yes, he picks unnecessary fights. But he also pushed tax reform through, has largely defeated ISIS in Iraq, has named a number of solid conservative judges, has prioritized American citizens over illegal immigrants, has gotten us out of several bad international agreements, has removed a number of wasteful regulations, is putting real pressure on North Korea and Iran, has reined in a number of out-of-control agencies, and so on and so on. I loved George W. Bush, but he failed on policy over and over again. If it takes putting up with Mr. Trump’s brash ways to see things get done, that is a deal I’m willing to accept. To be honest, I’m not sure he would have accomplished what he has so far without being an unrelenting public bully. JASON PECK - HOLTSVILLE, N.Y.

[quote]To the Editor: I voted for Donald Trump and, considering the alternative, I would do so again. Newsflash: Not all Trump voters are Hillary Clinton’s “deplorables.” Many of us are well-informed and highly educated, and we are weary of the Democrats’ tiresome focus on identity politics, class warfare, and disparagement of corporations and the “wealthy.” Opinion polls give Mr. Trump a low rating, and I would, too, for character, personality and temperament. But I would give him high marks for policies and programs that are stimulating the private sector, which, after all, pays the bills for the Democrats’ extravagant welfare programs. And because of Mr. Trump we have an education secretary who actually cares more about educating children than appeasing the teachers’ unions. Even more important, we desperately needed a seismic change in the pusillanimous foreign policy pursued during the Obama years, which emboldened our adversaries, including China, Russia, North Korea and Middle East militants. I also support a more robust approach to border security and illegal immigration, which could still entail legal residency for law-abiding Dreamers but not an undeserved pathway to citizenship. DAVID MACNEIL - CHATHAM, N.J.

[quote]To the Editor: Yes, I was a Trump voter. There, I’ve said it. Though I am subjecting myself to derision, I think that President Trump has performed well policywise. Changes for the good of our country in both foreign and domestic affairs have happened under his watch. Much of the media, as the hotbed of hatred against Mr. Trump, has pushed me more toward him than his social behavior has done the opposite. SONIA SCHWARTZ - VALLEY STREAM, N.Y.

by Anonymousreply 74January 22, 2018 2:51 AM

[quote]To the Editor: Not only did I vote for him, but I also made more than 5,000 calls on his behalf (and I’ve been a registered Democrat for 40 years). So far I am thrilled with his performance. Numerous reasons, but here are a few: recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital; letting the generals crush ISIS; stronger plans to prevent North Korea and Iran from using nuclear weapons; getting out of biased United Nations organizations; and respect for the flag and the rule of law. I thank my dear New York Times for asking to hear from Trump voters. It’s been difficult to read the paper this past year. It’s anti-Trump in everything from the front page to fashion. It’s so pervasive that I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that there’s not another loyal New York Times reader out there who voted for Mr. Trump and that I’m sending the only submission. New York Times, I will always love you, despite our disagreement. ELLEN MACKLER - NEW HAVEN

[quote]To the Editor: [bold]A president like Donald Trump only appears every 100 years or so. He came to office with a solid Electoral College majority and a history of strong leadership of people from all walks of life. His positive agenda can be boiled down to national security and economic growth.[/bold] By any measure President Trump’s first year has shown prodigious progress. As a child of the ’60s I admire his iconoclastic nature, optimism and unapologetic humanity. When asked during the campaign about his truthfulness, he replied that maybe he is too truthful. He does ruffle feathers, but seems to end up being right about most important things. I think Mr. Trump is doing a terrific job against all odds, and is getting better. I am proud when I see the First Couple representing us on the world stage. Tens of millions of thoughtful, compassionate Americans agree with me. DAN LOREY - CINCINNATI

[quote]To the Editor: I’ve voted twice in my life: once for myself when I ran for Congress 10 years ago, and once for Donald Trump last year. Virtually all of my friends or colleagues actively hate Mr. Trump. I’m a minority in every circle I move in. I have a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, and a bachelor’s and master’s from Harvard; I’m a former hedge fund trader and now an academic; I’m a journalist and author. Imagine being a Trump supporter in even one of those circles! We learn to stay quiet. How’s he doing? He has turned a fragile nation “anti-fragile” (the author Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s term). Before Mr. Trump, we were scared of any volatility. Oh no, ISIS! Oh no, banks! The more chaos there was, the worse we were. [bold]Now volatility is our friend. The more chaos, the better! Entrepreneurship up. Optimism up. Good old American problem solving is back! You know who loves change? Capitalists. Mr. Trump has led us on that spiritual exodus.[/bold] PHILIP MAYMIN - GREENWICH, CONN.

[quote]To the Editor: I went to the polls with a clothespin on my nose. I had very low expectations for a Trump presidency. A justice like Neil Gorsuch was all I was sure we’d get. I believed that Donald Trump could be a disaster, but the other two branches of government would keep him in check. Hillary Clinton, on the other hand, was guaranteed to take us down the path that President Obama started. That said,[bold] I am shocked at how well President Trump is doing.[/bold] I give him a B-plus. His performance under extreme pressure and harsh criticism has been admirable. Some of the many positive results of his policies are a booming economy, low unemployment (record low for black Americans), soaring stock market, lower taxes, the repeal of mandatory health insurance coverage, ISIS defeated in Iraq, and much, much more. I do not understand why people still believe anything that the media, or politicians and pundits who have an agenda, say. They have been wrong about practically everything since long before November 2016. DANIEL IRWIN - NORTH SYRACUSE, N.Y.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2018 12:34 AM

[quote]To the Editor: I’m thrilled with the progress that President Trump has made in defeating ISIS, cutting taxes for middle-class families and making court appointments. Thanks to the tax cuts, my husband and I stand to keep a much larger portion of our paychecks. I’d like to see more work in securing the border, enforcing immigration laws, improving our infrastructure and combating political corruption in D.C. (in both parties). I’m thrilled at his support for Israel. Nikki Haley is one of his best appointments, and I love seeing strong women stand up for what’s right on a global stage. What I like least about his presidency so far is the tweeting. It’s often immature and lowers the tone of the debate while debasing the office of the presidency. That said, I think the media needs to be a lot more evenhanded in its coverage of him and keep its personal opinions in check. EMILY ROBERTSON - AUSTIN, TEX

[quote]To the Editor: Granted we have the most unpresidential president of our time. Crude, rude, clueless dude — but I believe, with the help of his friends, [bold]he’s stumbling through one of the most effective presidencies in memory.[/bold] As the Sonny LoSpecchio character wisely concluded in the movie “A Bronx Tale,” it’s better to be feared than loved. My hope is for our enemies to fear Donald Trump and for his domestic opponents to realize he’s on their side. STEVEN LANDIS - HAMPTON BAYS, N.Y.

[quote]To the Editor: After voting for Democrats for over 60 years I voted for President Trump. [bold]As an immigrant, I was concerned that the country I have grown to love[/bold] was, to quote a recent Op-Ed article in your paper, beginning to undergo “a national descent into chaos.” Towns were being destroyed by their own citizens for what they saw as police injustice, our police were being slaughtered in cold blood and New York City’s mayor said he had warned his son against the police. [bold]I thought sanctuary cities were unjust to our own citizens, and our attempt to keep intact our reputation as welcoming Uncle Sam was becoming detrimental to our own welfare.[/bold] Mr. Trump’s language is often inappropriate and juvenile, and I had hoped he would rise to his new position. But although words are indeed important, I thought his tough take-no-prisoners manner and, yes, even his unpredictability might be what was needed at this particular time to cause offending persons and countries to sit up, consider us seriously, and think twice about taking advantage of us financially and otherwise. ANNE MINICH - MILFORD, CONN.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2018 12:37 AM

[quote]To the Editor: My hometown, Newton Falls, Ohio, was once a working-class Mayberry. Though not rich, the men and women of the town had pride and worked hard for their families and for their share of the American dream. I am 28, and in the nearly three decades I’ve been alive, I’ve seen Newton Falls and its surrounding environs succumb to a despair reflected by the opioid crisis. I have seen Republicans and Democrats sell out through a false dogma of free trade. I have seen my friends sent abroad to foreign lands with ill-defined military missions, coming back mangled or not at all. I have seen a political class eager to replace a working class with an imported labor class, driving down wages. One candidate sought to address this — Donald Trump. [bold]While admittedly a gamble, he promised to address the trifecta of poor trade deals, an end to needless foreign wars and a crackdown on immigration. On these three goals, he has done an excellent job so far and I support him wholeheartedly.[/bold] DANE DAVIS - NEW YORK

[quote]To the Editor: Several of my friends with whom I discuss politics in the San Francisco Bay Area (not many!) have told me that I’m the only person they know who voted for Donald Trump. Truth be told, I think there are others who have not admitted it. Donald Trump was not my first choice. However, even though I’m a “women’s libber” from the late ’60s, and [bold]I feel that we should have had a female president by now, Hillary Clinton was not worthy.[/bold] Mr. Trump is a vulgarian in the way he tweets and sometimes talks. However, as Rich Lowry wrote in National Review, [bold]his presidency is better than his tweets, and he has made significant progress in nominating and appointing conservative judges.[/bold] [bold]He has undone many of President Barack Obama’s unconstitutional executive orders. He has been rolling back burdensome regulations. He shepherded through Congress a tax bill that most people think will be a boon to the economy and “lift all boats.” Obamacare is mortally wounded.[/bold] I think Mr. Trump is a true entrepreneur who will adjust his approach and succeed in the end. MARGARET O. TUNNELL - ALAMO, CALIF.

[quote]To the Editor: President Donald Trump still has to deliver bigly for me on fiscal responsibility. The national debt is my biggest concern today. I am very happy with the number of executive orders he’s passed to get around an obstructionist Democratic Party that is out for his blood. His combative attitude with the Democrats and the media on Twitter never gets old with me either. If I wanted a scripted smooth talker for president, I’d have voted for someone else. An unscripted Mr. Trump feels more authentic to me, and I still don’t see him as a politician. If the election were held again today, I would 100 percent vote for him again. JOSHUA DAWSON - UNDERWOOD, IOWA

[quote]To the Editor: Before I respond to your questions, I have a question of my own: Did you run similar surveys for Obama voters? Or, for that matter, Eisenhower voters? Trump voters are not circus freaks to be displayed or singled out. [bold]The very fact that we have a tax cut, a roaring economy and stock market, a magnificent new Supreme Court justice and a wonderful attorney general with not only a moral compass but also a determination to actually enforce the laws of the land gives me great hope for this country’s future.[/bold] I think President Trump is doing just fine, particularly when one considers the sustained assault of the media, Hollywood, talk shows and, dare I say, “the paper of record,” which has abandoned all pretense of objectivity to join, if not lead, “the resistance.” ALEXANDER GOLDSTEIN - BROOKLYN

And if you want to give NY Times some clicks this is the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2018 12:40 AM

I have long defended the NYT from the left but they really are devolving into trash

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2018 12:43 AM

[quote] David Burr Gerrard‏ @DBGerrard

[quote]Writing exercise: Write three paragraphs in which every sentence is more obnoxious than the one preceding it, and end with a completely baffling use of the word "exodus."

"To the Editor: I’ve voted twice in my life: once for myself when I ran for Congress 10 years ago, and once for Donald Trump last year. Virtually all of my friends or colleagues actively hate Mr. Trump. I’m a minority in every circle I move in. I have a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, and a bachelor’s and master’s from Harvard; I’m a former hedge fund trader and now an academic; I’m a journalist and author. Imagine being a Trump supporter in even one of those circles!

We learn to stay quiet. How’s he doing? He has turned a fragile nation “anti-fragile” (the author Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s term). Before Mr. Trump, we were scared of any volatility. Oh no, ISIS! Oh no, banks! The more chaos there was, the worse we were.

Now volatility is our friend. The more chaos, the better! Entrepreneurship up. Optimism up. Good old American problem solving is back! You know who loves change? Capitalists. Mr. Trump has led us on that spiritual exodus.

PHILIP MAYMIN - GREENWICH, CONN."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2018 3:15 AM

They spend all their time looking down on them, and only now that they're in a shambles do they feel sorry for them?

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2018 3:18 AM

NYT should start a section called Klan News to publish all the pro-Trump nonsense. At least it will be in one section and identified so those who are not racists can skip it without reading any. Sort of like switching the channel quickly when Faux News appears on the tv.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2018 3:59 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2018 5:54 PM

I read about six of these this morning and couldn't look at any others. These people are clearly regurgitating FoxNews as their talking points about Trump's accomplishments sound very similar. The fact that the economy was growing BEFORE Trump took office is, of course, lost on them.

I don't think it's a bad idea for the NYT to publish these letters - best to know what passes for thinking by his fanbase. At least some of them acknowledge that he behaves like a pig.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2018 6:42 PM

NY Times wants to be balanced so, although 99% of the comments and anti-Trump, it has to publish a few that are pro-Trump.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2018 7:13 PM

I know this will be hard to digest for all the SJW's and politically correct dimwits who stink up this place, but things are slowly drifting towards Trump. People are just now getting their first paychecks with reduced taxes, people who have invested in the stock market are reaping huge dividends, companies like Apple are bringing back their cash they had stashed off-shore because of reduced taxes. THIS IS WHAT MATTERS TO MOST PEOPLE. DEAL WITH IT.

No one, but no one, outside of upper class white women in NYC, LA, SFO, DC and BSN give two shits about pussy power, or who got their titties touched or their asses pinched. If Democrats still insist on foisting this shit on the general public, their numbers in Congress, state houses and state legislatures, and local offices will continue to decline precipitously. Wake the fuck up already. Ignore at your own peril.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2018 7:32 PM

Whatever gets you through the day, my friend ^^.

Why you think that you're going to find sympathy for republicans or Trump on a gay message board is beyond any type of rational thought. But it is amusing to see you spread FOX News propaganda. Nobody is buying what you are selling. You are convincing no one of your lies. But, by all means, do continue to bash your ahead against a wall and spread these same, tired FOX News tropes - it is amusing to see you waste your time.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2018 7:46 PM

And by all means, do please continue to believe that a 39% to 41% approval rating in what is barely nearing the end of his first year in office is #WINNING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2018 7:50 PM

Reading some of these letters really makes my blood boil and I really need to start asking myself why. Why do I even care? I am not being hurt by the things Trump has done, is doing, and will do in the future. So why do I care?

Fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2018 8:10 PM

It's sort of hilarious to me that they're phrasing their love of Asshole as making them into some kind of despised minority, akin to being black or gay. They flatter themselves that they're so strong-minded and independent that they'll brave the vast majority of the US's hatred and cling to their moron, when, in fact, their man and his monster allies are in control of the whole show. They have power but want the pity and dignity that comes with being powerless.

Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2018 8:28 PM

So the NY Times is putting out an edition for the mentally ill now?

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2018 8:57 PM

[quote] Some of the many positive results of his policies are a booming economy, low unemployment (record low for black Americans), soaring stock market,

It's unbelievable how the deplorables have created the false narrative that unemployment was out of control during Obama's presidency, and now that Trump is in charge, jobs have come roaring back. Here's a chart showing the unemployment rate during the past decade: Unemployment spiraled out of control during Bush's last year in office (2008). It continued to be high during Obama's first year in office, because it takes time to turn things around, then declined steadily during the remainder of Obama's term. Seven years of a steady, uninterrupted job growth. Yet Obama gets absolutely no credit from the deplorables. All that we've seen so far in the first year of Trump's presidency is the aftereffects of Obama's policies. The effects of the Trump presidency on jobs won't start to show up until later this year. ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2018 9:37 PM

... And here's the stock market. Same story. The deplorables claim that the stock market is soaring to record heights under Trump, which is true, but they ignore the fact that it's just a continuation of the steady rise since Obama took office in 2009, following the crash during Bush's last year in office. Again, Trump gets all the credit, and Obama gets none of it, from the deplorables.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2018 9:40 PM

And never forget that these same idiots voted for Bush II!

And that the first month that Obama was president, they were already blaming him for unemployment, a terrible economy, the recession and every other terrible thing that the republican Bush administration brought to this country!

These people are beyond stupid!

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2018 9:40 PM

[quote] R11: things are slowly drifting towards Trump.

Meanwhile, using facts and evidence, his approval numbers are going down, and disapproval number are going up. If you mean that the drain in the tub is slowly drifting towards Trump, that’s fine, but to the rest of us, it sure looks like he is drifting towards the drain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2018 9:40 PM

What’s fascinating to me is that these people do not admit or perhaps refuse to recognize that Donald J. Trump has very little, if no idea, about anything. He has no understanding about what it is that he is supposed to be doing. None.

Sit down and watch Trump’s cabinet meeting regard immigration reform/DACA, where he allowed press officials to record the meeting. That meeting is the picture of a man, not having any idea as to what he is discussing, the questions that are asked of him, nothing. One cannot objectively watch this and listen carefully, without acknowledging that this man has no rudimentary or fundamental knowledge of what he is discussing.

If I were to sit down in a room filled with reporters and physics rofessors, and they started asking me questions regarding advanced physics, theory, and space flight, I would have absolutely NO IDEA what they were talking about. Perhaps I’d have the ability to answer two very basic, fundamentals regarding physics, but that’s pretty much it. Everyone watching on TV, would evaluate that I know nothing about the subject, and they would probably scratch their heads, thinking, “Why the hell is this moron sitting here, talking about something she knows nothing about? Are you fucking kidding me? GTHOH!”

That my friends, is the equivalent of watching our president discussing policy that he swore over and over again via his campaign platform, that he would address, and reform.

This man knows nothing about everything. NOTHING.

Answer me this: How does one run a country, sleeping in until 11:00 am, and taking a nap at 2:00 pm, while eating hamburgers, and slurping sodas, while tweeting and watching three different TV sets during your waking hours, only to retire at 6:30 pm, in order to do more of the same?

Keep in mind, the things I’ve mentioned are not isolated incidents.

These people are as delusional as their president. Fuck anyone who says that this man is a competent and capable leader. FUCK YOU!

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2018 10:01 PM

[quote] Some of the many positive [bold] results of his policies [/bold] are a booming economy, low unemployment (record low for black Americans), soaring stock market,

WHAT policies? What economic policies have Trump and the Republicans enacted since he became president, aside from the tax reform bill, which was less than a month ago?

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2018 10:09 PM

[quote]The Times editorial board has been sharply critical of the Trump presidency

That's just a bald-faced lie. Their editorial team is Fox News lite.

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2018 10:16 PM

[quote] What’s fascinating to me is that these people do not admit or perhaps refuse to recognize that Donald J. Trump has very little, if no idea, about anything. He has no understanding about what it is that he is supposed to be doing. None.

It's worse than that. I think many of them DO realize that Trump knows very little about anything. And they find that REFRESHING. They have convinced themselves that all of the problems in our country are the result of electing politicians with knowledge and expertise. Politicians who understand the fine points of policy are considered to be too "elitist" or "out of touch." The deplorables think that the solution is to start electing more people who know absolutely nothing about politics or government. They're convinced themselves if someone like Kid Rock or Ted Nugent was in Washington, the economy would be humming along and Kim Jong-Un would be scared shitless. It really is bizarre and alarming.

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2018 10:17 PM

R22, why would Trump enact ANY policies, financial, or otherwise? All the man can do, (barely) is sign EOs pushed in front of him. The guy had ZERO policies to share or discuss during his campaign. There was nothing on his campaign’s website, NOTHING!

Not once has Donald J Trump gotten us and said, Here’s my plan, and this is how I plan to carry it out. Let me explain, and let’s see what you all think.” So why the FUCK would he do anything now???

The tax reform was written and put together by the tax and olicy experts who work with the Mercers & Kochs.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2018 10:17 PM

[quote]People are just now getting their first paychecks with reduced taxes

No one at my partner's company Parker Hannifin had reduced taxes. Their paychecks were in fact lower because insurance costs more. Again. The only difference is that in the past the supervisors would make a point of saying the checks being smaller were all Obama's fault, and this time they just stayed mum.

[quote]companies like Apple are bringing back their cash they had stashed off-shore because of reduced taxes.

So far, every one of the companies who stopped layoffs "because of Trump" went back and laid people off anyway. If they handed out bonuses "because of Trump," they followed up with layoffs. Many success stories Trump has claimed as his own were lies; the companies had made changes without Trump policies in mind but he took credit anyway.

Let's give it a little time to see just how this Apple thing plays out, huh?

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2018 10:24 PM

The Deplorables voted for Trump for totally personal reasons, like they hoped a factory would come to Podunk. Or they wanted to keep their coal job. Or a Mexican got the job they wanted. Or they want to keep the endless war-4-profits going so their son can get a job in War, Inc.

They couldn't care less about human rights or the environment or stocks + bonds they can't afford anyway.

Most of them won't even vote again. Trump's white supremacist facism invigorated them for the one and only time.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2018 10:25 PM

[quote] The Deplorables voted for Trump for totally personal reasons, like they hoped a factory would come to Podunk. Or they wanted to keep their coal job.

Because no one understands factory work and coal mining in Podunk better than a billionaire real estate magnate from New York City who hosted a reality TV show and is married to a model from Slovenia.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2018 10:32 PM

R28, ALLEGED billionaire, married to a professional escort from Slovenia.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2018 10:35 PM

[quote]Some of the many positive results of his policies are a booming economy, low unemployment (record low for black Americans), soaring stock market

It's a global fucking market, deplorable; pretty much [italic]everyone[/italic] is doing great these days. And his actions have exactly zero to do with our breakneck GDP growth here in his (current) concubine's home country. Zero.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2018 11:08 PM

"I read about six of these this morning and couldn't look at any others."

You're a better man than I am, R9.

I could barely stomach skimming a couple of them.

And yes, there's a "poor me" quality to them that is just too much to bear.

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2018 11:10 PM

This was such a poor decision. The times already runs a million conservative op-eds. Their obsession with showing "both sides" has been very disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2018 11:25 PM

The NYT: we won't stop until every single one of Trump's 62,984,825 deplorable voters are heard!

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2018 11:39 PM

It's amazing how many lies you managed to cram into one post, R11.

The economy has been growing steadily since 2009, thanks to Obama. [bold]Stock market growth began in spring of 2010, thanks to Obama, and rose that year, as a percentage, more than in 2017. [/bold]

Your lying [bold]Dear Leader's job growth in his first year of Presidency ran 20% below Obama's average for eight years. [/bold]

Wages started rising back in 2013, thanks to Obama.

The tax cut is for the rich. Your Dear Leader said it himself.

Your [bold]Dear Leader has the lowest approval rating in his first year than any other President in the past 36 years.[/bold]

And finally, just this morning we find out that

[quote][bold]US slumps in global leadership poll after Trump's 1st year[/bold]

[quote][bold]The Gallup poll puts global approval of US leadership at just 30%, slightly behind China on 31% and only three points ahead of Russia. Germany is now the top-rated global power in the world, with an approval rating of 41%, according to the survey. The US rating is down nearly 20 points from the 48% approval rating in the last year of President Barack Obama's administration, Gallup said. It's also four points lower than the previous low of 34%, seen in the final year of George W. Bush's presidency.[/bold]

Why on Earth would you lie about things that are factual is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2018 12:02 AM

And today the "balanced" NY Times posts two (!) letters from Trumpers who regret their vote (the second voter doesn't even regret his vote all that much)

[quote]In contrast to letters from Trump voters that we ran earlier, now we hear from two readers disappointed that their hopes didn’t pan out.

[quote]To the Editor: I voted for Donald Trump, and I regret it. I thought he would change his divisive rhetoric from the campaign trail and never imagined he would divide this country with lies and racism, bigotry and hate. I see a man working to destroy democracy with the help of Vladimir Putin by using disinformation to frustrate and confuse everyone as they weaken America’s standing in the world. I fear for my children’s future and see a president and his family profiting off the office just as in authoritarian countries, with zero pushback from the Republican Party. Democracy will die if they continue. SYDNEY COHAN, WESTWOOD, N.J.

[quote]To the Editor: Admittedly, my vote for Donald Trump was less for him than it was against his opponent. However, when he won I felt he was in a unique situation to unite the country by showing what an outsider could accomplish if given the chance. I now feel that he’s squandered it. Policywise, I agree with much of what he’s done, but the tax bill could have been much better and broader, and he keeps focusing his attention on inconsequential nonsense. His approval would shoot up 20 percentage points overnight if he deleted his Twitter account. TAD DURRANCE - ORMOND BEACH, FLA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2018 3:15 AM

Best was this commentary:

[quote]I don't need to read letters from people who voted for Trump and regret it. I need to read letters from people who voted for Trump and BEG FORGIVENESS FOR IT. I need them to get down on their knees and confess whatever sins caused them to vote for such a despicable excuse for a human being, made them put their country, and its democracy, and its decency, and the welfare of its American people, and the peace of the world in such dire danger--and did so with their eyes wide open, after being amply warned. I want them to APOLOGIZE to their fellow Americans, and to the world. Then maybe we will forgive them, and maybe we won't. Regrets are for when you bought the wrong brand of shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2018 3:17 AM

It is a shame that Trump will do lasting damage to this country, although it’s really Congress calling the shots as Trump clearly has no idea what he’s doing at any given moment, on policy. He is a great con man, though.

The best thing that will come from a Trump administration will be the backlash in 2018 and 2020.

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2018 10:45 AM

Go away you tiresome troll

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2018 11:39 AM

HATE is the answer!

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2018 11:41 AM

Can’t we have WAR now?! I’ve been egging for it sone last year.

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2018 11:42 AM

[quote] No one ... gives two shits about pussy power.

You’re so right right R11. My legs are open and so far the only interest has been.... say: does anywhere here know the best way to revive a comatose raccoon?

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2018 12:00 PM

[quote]They have power but want the pity and dignity that comes with being powerless.

This is what right-wingers/Christofascists ALWAYS do. Even when they hold all the power, they're the victims of SOMEBODY. They were victims even under Reagan, under Dubya...it never ends. The fucking NYT needs to find some way of effectively informing them that they can't have it both ways, instead of indulging their dangerously false delusions.

They make me sick.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2018 12:18 PM

FUCK all of you who support this fucking clown and his circus of tricks and terror. I hate these people.

How dare any of you cunts claim ANYTHING positive about this piece of shit? All of you claim that he’s getting a bad break. SO WHAT??? Obama got a bad break too. He still got up every fucking morning and did his job.

DJT is a conman. He has no clue what is going on around him. You bastards voted in a fucking 10 year old who likes to eat and watch TV all day. What all of you have failed to realize is that the man NEVER did anything! He has never worked!!! EVER!!!

Donald Trump has spent his entire life getting up everyday and PRETENDING to do something. He wears a suit, nice shoes, and pretends to be a real estate tycoon, and now he pretends to be our president. What you cunts refused to acknowledge is that this asshole has managed to surround himself with professional hucksters all of his life . He has drawn to him men and women who have spent their lives advising and facilitating him on how to steal, how to launder money, how to not pay his fair share of taxes, how to rip off contractors, how to file multiple bankruptcies again and again, how to con regular Americans out of their savings by establishing Trump University, and how to get on television, and pretend to know something, while firing people from a reality TV show that had nothing to do with actual competence.

The man was an open book. He never got up during his campaign, telling any of you how he planned on doing anything, because he actually planned on doing nothing. He never gave any of you any formidable plan of action. All he did was tell all of you racist, hateful, obese, depressed and lonely cunts that he hated Mexicans too. He told you he thought Barack Obama was some illegitimate nigger, just like you believed, he told you that everyone and everything was out to fuck YOU over, and that if you voted for him, he would fuck OTHERS over on your behalf. He told you that he would help you get back shitty jobs that were never coming back, and he told you that you would be able to hold on to your fucking stupid religion, and that he would help you HATE Muslims more than you already did, so that you could prove to your Lord Jesus Christ in heaven, what wonderful Christians you all are. And that’s just those of you who are dumb, gullible, uneducated and racist.

Then there’s the rest of you cunts, who are FAR worse. Knowing that EVERYTHING I wrote above, is absolutely true. You despise this piece of shit man as much or more than I do. You get together with your buddies, and you all laugh as much as the rest of the world. You chose to deliberately place a man in office who is one of the biggest buffoons who you have ever laid eyes on, in order to make more money. More, more, more. You’re depraved as he is, as flawed, and even worse. You are evil, and you are the reason why our world can never truly get better. And the worst part is that you will never become better men and women. You will raise your children to become like you, and this cycle of insanity will continue.

Global warming can’t destroy us all soon enough. And sadly, it’s the only true justice that will ever be dispensed.

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2018 12:26 PM

Well one thing is clear: some of you are sounding more unhinged than ever(looking at you R43) so it is crystal clear to me that those letters have had an effect on you.

JMHO, but I think that you WANT to believe that Trump voters are mostly ill educated Christian zealots who hate black people and Mexicans, because that makes them really easy to dislike and look down upon. But the fact is, as some of us have been saying since Election Day that just is not the case. Those letters, while the content may disgust you, are clearly written by educated non-cousin fucking citizens. And that makes your blood boil.

Yep, his approval rating is at 40% at best, and you think that bodes well for the Democratic candidate in '20. As I see it, 20% of the people answering surveys will not vote as is always the case. So that leaves 40% for the Dems, and 40% for the Reps. All of those 40% of Reps will come out and vote for whomever is the party candidate regardless of gender, weather, religion or personal idiosyncrasies of the candidate.

There will be someone pulling a Nader, Stein or Bernie scenario with the Dems, and unless the nominee is a black male, you can only depend on 60% turnout from the black registered Dems, Throw in a dash of intersectionality and trans-mania and you are down to 34% for the Dem candidate.

Granted I just pulled that outta my ass and it is as scientific as a box of nails...but some of you know that there is some truth in my words.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2018 1:15 PM

[quote] things are slowly drifting towards Trump.

Merely the gravitational effect of an extremely fat body.

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2018 1:23 PM

R44, I never thought those letters came from absolute idiots. Obviously, some of you idiots are better writers than others.

Look, nothing, NOTHING I wrote about Donald Trump is untrue. Nothing.

Why do you insist on defending him? What is wrong with you? How can you claim to be intelligent, and simultaneously claim that he is competent at ANYTHING? What drives you to tell me, others, and yourself, that this guy is a good businessman, or president? I mean, there is just no fucking way that someone who is well educated, college degree, and successful, who can look at this scenario, and say anything positive about his job performance. For you to continue to do so, leads me to believe that you are willfully lying, or that you are not as bright and well educated as you claim. The other option is that you’re overwhelmed by your own bigotry and racism.

Your support of this man cannot be grounded in the truth. It is grounded in delusion. Any fair and objective person, who is also intelligent, cannot truthfully claim that Donald Trump is a competent president, regardless of politics, religion, ideology, etc.

The unhinged one is you, who actually believes the bullshit you deliberately spoon feed yourself daily. Those letters don’t make my blood boil. Those letters turn my blood cold, as I question how the fuck any of you have managed to live this long, and put one foot in front of the other, and function in society, because it is clear to me that if you believe that this guy is getting shit done, you are a disordered person. Something is REALLY wrong with you. The only way to buy into this shit is to be delusional, paranoid, and not grounded in good, sane mental health.

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2018 1:43 PM

BTW, r44, aka DJT, welcome to DataLounge! Let’s hope you can make it to the golf course before government shuts down.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2018 1:54 PM

The fact is that I don't support him.

But I refuse to support a Democratic presidential candidate again until the "let's blame every goddam thing on whitey" rhetoric is toned down a notch.

Here's what I will tell you: I voted for Hillary Clinton, but given the climate of the country today, if there were to be another election between she and Trump next week I would vote for him. I realize that likely infuriates you more than if I had voted for Trump in '16 and still supported him now.

He is an embarrassing windbag of hot gas without doubt, and I will never defend his mental acuity or aptitude. But I will not support the erasure of the south and our heritage. There are racists all over the country, and this new trend of making the south the scapegoat for all prior injustices has gone too far.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2018 1:55 PM

Between HER and Trump, you idiot. Stop trying to sound intelligent, R48 - it's not working.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2018 2:05 PM

R48, I was right. You are overwhelmed by your skewed thinking. WTF are you talking about??? Who the FUCK is erasing the fucking south??? A few confederate monuments are brought down, and that justifies your conclusion that the south will be erased?

Today, walk around and look into the eyes of every negro that you see. The “South” is one of the reasons that they ever got here in the first place, and they ARE the reason the south ever came to be. Who built the south? Not you and your ancestors, that’s for sure.

Give me a fucking break. Your post HAS gotta be bullshit, because no truly intelligent person who is well educated would pull that bullshit out of their ass as a valid argument.

C’mon now. Fucking ridiculous. Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2018 2:07 PM

R49 Touche touche. My bad.

I was thinking faster than my horrible typing allows. I meant to say , "If she and Trump were to have a rematch..." but I erred.

Thank you for the correction. I respect the standards of grammar and punctuation at the DL above all else.

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2018 2:25 PM

Shriek! Trump! It's a complete holocaust! The Grey Lady is Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS! Aggghhhhh! The Deplorables ate my baby!

You Hillabottoms are a million laffs-don't ever stop.

R50-another delusional Afrocentric. The South was built on the backs of the poor whites, mostly of Scots-Irish extraction, that were brought here as slaves themselves. And like the vast majority of Southern whites, they never owned slaves. It was the white man that wiped out slavery in the West, unlike in the Middle East, and Africa, where it still thrives today. R48 left out one thing out of their post-blacks are moving back down south in record numbers-maybe they too can't go the elitist, genteel racism of the moneyed classes of the Northern coastal burghs. And yes, there most certainly IS a concerted effort, by the Usual Suspects, to wipe inconvenient history off the books and out of the minds of the founding population. That's what they do, wreck things. Like nations and civilisations.

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2018 2:27 PM

"The South was built on the backs of the poor whites, mostly of Scots-Irish extraction, that were brought here as slaves themselves."

Your understanding of the word "slave," as well as your knowledge of history is completely bogus.

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2018 2:32 PM

I was ALMOST willing to give R48 a chance, until he said this:

[quote] But I will not support the erasure of the south and our heritage.

WTF? R48 obviously did NOT vote for Hillary and has never voted for any Democrat.

I expect that next we'll see troll posts like this: "I am a proud Democrat, and I voted for Hillary, but I will not vote for another Democrat until we stop the war on Christmas!"

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2018 2:32 PM

R52 is why the world hates America.

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2018 2:34 PM

R53, please STFU. I am well aware of the Scots-Irish being brought into the eastern seaboards as slaves and/or indentured servants.

Not every immigrant who came from Europe was an indentured servant, or slave. Admittedly, the majority were poor.

Almost without exception, every African who was brought into the United States were slaves, while their descendants were born into slavery for hundreds of years.

R52, why do you defend DJT, or even concern yourself with “Southern Erasure”, “Anglo-Erasure” or identity politics in the United States, when you don’t even live in the south, or in the US?

Also, I have another very genuine question: Why are you a racist? I have never asked anyone here that question, and I would like to have someone like you, specifically, to answer this question.

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2018 3:13 PM

[R53], please STFU. I am well aware of the Scots-Irish being brought into the eastern seaboards as slaves and/or indentured servants.

R53, my apologies. That was meant for r52.

by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2018 3:15 PM

Something's happened to the Times lately - it's changing, and not for the better.

by Anonymousreply 58January 19, 2018 3:30 PM

r58 they found their business model. They are elitist corporate lackeys who realized they can churn public sentiment using their 'investigative journalist' past to write clickbait that will boost their subscription rate.

Really, they're just a more advanced, older skewing buzzfeed.

by Anonymousreply 59January 19, 2018 3:35 PM

[quote]walk around and look into the eyes of every negro that you see

"Negro?" How old ARE you? That goes back further than "colored."

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2018 3:38 PM

r52 isn't even American, because they would know we spell it "civiliZation." Nice try, though.

by Anonymousreply 61January 19, 2018 3:52 PM

[quote]Go away you tiresome troll

[quote]HATE is the answer!

[quote]Can’t we have WAR now?! I’ve been egging for it sone last year.

This is the same poster. Completely devoid of any ideas. Intellectually stunted. A pure troll.

Is this the best you deplorable trolls can do?

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2018 5:07 PM

There's comments in the Intelligence Community Twitter about NYTimes and other journalism outlets being hit by hackings designed to get kompromat on them.

by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2018 5:13 PM

R44, you are typical of the posters who defend DJT by criticizing the Democrats.

It's a cop out.

Why is it that you cannot defend your support of DJT by openly standing behind what he stands for; racism, bigotry, misogyny , xenophobia, corruption, adultery, hatemongering, disrespect for the free press and our Constitution, disrespect for the laws of our country, disrespect for our intelligence services, and even our military?

To say that you support DJT because of all the ways you hate Democrats is deeply disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2018 5:21 PM

[quote]To say that you support DJT because of all the ways you hate Democrats is deeply disingenuous.

No r64. It is deeply republicant.

by Anonymousreply 65January 19, 2018 5:22 PM

If the NYT is shamelessly pandering to deplorables now, perhaps it really is failing... many deplorables are illiterate (and that's just one of their many problems).

Is the Sulzberger family on the corruption spectrum somewhere with the Mercers and other 1%ers?

by Anonymousreply 66January 19, 2018 5:48 PM

Oh please, there are likely fewer illiterate "deplorables" than there are illiterate Dems.

There certainly are fewer Rep. Times readers though.

by Anonymousreply 67January 20, 2018 2:24 AM

[quote] R48: But I will not support the erasure of the south and our heritage.

Why not just come out with “Jews will not replace us!”? It succinctly makes your point quite clearly.

by Anonymousreply 68January 21, 2018 11:17 AM

What do the Jews have to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 69January 21, 2018 12:09 PM

As a hard-core Democrat, I am very concerned (not troll-"concerned") that the defining issue of 2020, if not 2018, will be immigration.

Whoever just framed the alleged political dichotomy ("Democrats put illegal immigrants before American citizens and our military") for Trump deserves a raise.

His recent (and supremely hypocritical) tirade about abortion will play well with his votes, also.

Not nearly enough people care about the 1%'s getting even more of our money.

by Anonymousreply 70January 21, 2018 1:09 PM

These letters are SO scary that I need to lie down with a cold compress. People REALLY are myopic aren't they --- and venal, truly venal. Well, we get the government we deserve, and the rest of us move overseas.

by Anonymousreply 71January 21, 2018 1:12 PM

I agree that it's good to give these people a forum, but as others have noted, they're just spouting shit they heard on Fox or heard Rush babbling about. Some of the stuff these people write is genuinely childish like "I want to prioritize Americans over immigrants." While immigration does pose problems and puts a strain on our public schools, etc., we also benefit from the cheap labor they bring.

I also think that some people are so invested of the story of the White Savior coming to save them from the cop/military hating, vegetable eating, get your ass of the couch and exercise Obamas that it doesn't matter what Trump does - they'll wildly claim his smell his farts smell like roses (HE'S EXCEEDED MY WILDEST EXPECTATIONS - WOO HOO!).

by Anonymousreply 72January 21, 2018 1:25 PM

R69, it’s what the racists were chanting in Charlotte as they marched.

by Anonymousreply 73January 22, 2018 1:03 AM

I wasn't among the Torch bearers in Charlottesville, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 74January 22, 2018 2:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!