Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Belgian Cuisine

French Food, American or German portions. I'm sure that someone else will say that they like it. What say Datalounge???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2018 8:14 PM

I like their chocolate. That's about all I know of their cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 5:59 PM

Moules Frites! Mayonnaise (3 Flavors)! Delirium Tremens!

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 6:00 PM

It's much better than Dutch food. That is undebatable.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 6:02 PM

There are a couple of belgian bistros in my city. It has a few staples everyone likes: belgian french fries (different from french), mussels cooked in a shitload of ways, a lot of good beers, big meaty dishes, and of course waffles and chocolates. So, yes, i like belgian food once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 6:03 PM

Carbonnade (OP's pic) is really good, better than beef bourguignon IMO.

The closer to the sea you are, the better moules frites are (like in De Haan / Le coq).

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 6:05 PM

Carbonnade Flamande!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 6:07 PM

The only thing good about Berbian Cuisine is waffles.

Fries with Mayo ??? Is this like the Germans and their awful food? @_@

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 6:11 PM

I've always liked fries with mayo.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 6:15 PM

I love their chocolate but the fries are traditionally cooked in animal fat, which used to be horse and cow. The only other food I've seen a lot of in Belgium are eggs. The whole country smells of eggs.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 6:15 PM

I'm a big fan of waterzooi - it's a soup/stew made (traditionally) with fish, butter, leek, potatoes, eggs, carrots and cream. It's *really* rich, but it's damned good eating on a cold winter's night.

And if you've never had Belgian fries in a paper cone with mayo and curry-ketchup - you've never lived. Seriously, Yanks - we put up with the reconstituted aborted kittens in MacDonalds and Taco Hell, the least you idiots can do it munch on the *best* chips in existence!

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2018 6:19 PM

We have and it tastes like dogs. Eww R10. Go eat a salad right now!

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2018 7:01 PM

Baeckeaoffe is a delicious stew.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2018 7:23 PM

I love the roast chicken dishes, because the bird is marinated/simmered in beer. The restaurant in my area, Monk's in downtown Philadelphia, used to serve really great Belgian food, but it's deteriorated over the years.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2018 9:27 PM

A little Belgian bakery opened across the street from my building. It didn't last long. I don't know how they thought they'd be able to make Manhattan rent with baked goods.

I do like their bricks. I did my whole driveway with them at my summer house.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2018 11:22 PM

Having fries from the Maison Antoine kiosk, after waiting in line for 20 minutes and making me wonder why I was doing it, was a life changing experience. The fries are done in duck fat and there are probably 30 different toppings, from sambal, to romesco, to the traditional mayonnaise, you name it...

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 11:26 PM

Horse! Their fries are fried in horse? Ewwww, no thank you. Eating cute little duckies would be bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 11:35 PM

The classic Belgian dish is Waterzooi (In the US, it's generally chicken Waterzooi, but it would have originally been made with fish). I had it at a Belgian restaurant, and it was marvelous, and I've made it myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2018 12:38 AM

We bought a waterzooi, it was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2018 1:45 AM

I just came on to say if R16 is joking, that's bad enough, but if not, he's a complete dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2018 7:53 PM

What does Waterloo mean -- literally? I know it has become a metaphor for a resounding defeat, but what does the name of the town actually mean?

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2018 10:03 PM

R20....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2018 11:52 PM

The Belgian stew that OP shows in his pic is actually quite good. There are a few Belgian restaurants in NYC that serve it,

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2018 1:42 AM

What about desserts?

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2018 8:02 PM

I love their cheeses.

by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2018 8:03 PM

Moules-frites, mais oui! Léon de Bruxelles had the best pomme frites (French fries) I've ever had.

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2018 8:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!