Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Call Me By Your Name’ Seriously Creeps Me Out

I guess they’re going national ‘cause I’m seeing commercials for the first time. It just looks bad. Armie Hammer looks like a 40 year old man chasing a 15 year old boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 21, 2018 1:53 AM

Oh fuck, not again!

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 5:30 PM

Yet the Franklyn Seales years of [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic] are still MIA on DVD.

Fuck you Sony.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 5:36 PM

LOL R1, you owe me a bottle of Mezzo Mix. Cola everywhere...

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 5:41 PM

Hasn't it been nationwide for a few weeks already?

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 5:42 PM

[QUOTE]Hasn't it been nationwide for a few weeks already?

No. Not until Friday according to the commercial I just saw.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 5:44 PM

This movie sucked. No personality and no stakes. Of course the straight general public eat it up, it’s basically a sexless gay movie.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 5:50 PM

No, it's a valid topic. I know I was one of the first people that rolled their eyes with Woddy Allen's new movie about a 17 year old girl courting a much older man.

I saw CMBYN with a friend and age difference did creep him out. He actually didn't like the film and throughout our way home he kept saying this was unacceptable. lol It might be a California thing though since the age of consent here is 18.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 5:51 PM

The movie was boring AF.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 5:53 PM

Search hard enough and you can stream it online.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 5:54 PM

If this movie was set in any other country, it wouldn't be getting the obscene levels of hype. Now I know for sure Jews don't run Hollywood anymore or we'd see more and better gay movies that are actually GAY, where men are treated as objects of desire in and of ourselves, not just as stand-ins for women.

There's already a gay Italian version of [italic]Lolita[/italic] anyway: [italic]Death in Venice[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2018 5:55 PM

I agree. The narrative seems to be cast from the same ancient Greek toxic narrative which advocates older men teaching younger men the ways of the world etc..

That combined with the subtext: 'gays can never be truly happy. They are doomed to a life of unhappiness etc' is what makes me hate this movie.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2018 5:56 PM

It does have a pedo vibe to it. And Oliver could as well have been played by a stiff from the local morgue.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2018 5:56 PM

Even the new [italic]Beauty and the Beast[/italic] making LeFou gay seems less retrogressive compared to this.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2018 6:02 PM

Oh for God's sake, ENOUGH ALREADY! There's no "pedo vibe" at all. You don't like the film, fine. But stop with the mischaracterizations. I swear all these "pedo vibe" types must be fraus or fakes.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2018 6:04 PM

R14 = Luca G, triggered!

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 6:08 PM

They should have cast people that aren't on such physical extremes when it comes to size and build and maturity. Hammer looks 40 and Chalamet looks 15. It doesn't work and is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 6:16 PM

I saw it. I hated it. It is inauthentic and smarmy - like a woman's take on a yaoi story impossibly placed in Heaven (northern Italy) among an impossibly well-educated cosmopolitan Jewish family who mingles seamlessly with the locals.

But the age and size differences between the two main characters make the problem. Hammer is not a good enough actor to carry it, and he's too old for the part. The diminutive Timothtwee also is not very convincing as a character (mugging, tripping and the rest do not actually convey an internal life, passion or thought). So one ends up with a sick feeling - if one is watching carefully and not just lazily looking at pretty-pretty - with a story that ought to have been pleasant and no big deal.

That's the point of the story: "These things happen! Love comes everywhere and must be accepted!" The movie does not do this. It distorts its theme through miscasting and bad direction. Mishandling one's theme is the worst sin of a production with the capacity to have done good work.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2018 6:18 PM

Even the trailer for this his movie gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2018 6:23 PM

Feel-good film of the year!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 6:24 PM

ZzZzZzZzZzZZ OP

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2018 6:24 PM

[quote]Armie Hammer looks like a 40 year old man chasing a 15 year old boy.

A 15 year-old boy who is OUTRAGED at himself for working with Woody Allen!

It really is a three-ring circus, huh?

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2018 6:26 PM

R18, me too.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2018 6:28 PM

He's an incredibly cute boy.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2018 6:38 PM

It makes it look like all the weirdo conspiracy theorists who said there would soon be a push to normalize pedophilia were right. Sickening.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2018 6:40 PM

Timothee intends to donate his salary from CMBYN to the American Family Council and Concerned Women for America, to atone for participating in this movie. He's realized now that he's part of a new wave .....of people like Meryl Streep and Mia Farrow. He's going to stand shoulder to shoulder with the brave yada yada yada......Ugh. Sheep, proudly wearing pins on their black tuxes, and dissing their beloved colleagues from last week. What a disappointment he is.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2018 6:42 PM

I have accepted Timo is not winning the Oscar based on that darn WA film. But surely he is still gets nominated, right? I mean if he isn't nominated I will be beside myself.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2018 6:45 PM

Never forget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2018 6:53 PM

Some of you people need a major reality check. I work in higher ed and seen grad students in their early 20's who look very similar to Hammer. The idea that he looks 40 is just absurd, so I agree with R14 that you're either a bunch of hand-wringing Marys or trolls (or both). And if you think Chalamet looks 15, you clearly haven't seen many 15-year-olds lately. They definitely look younger.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2018 8:08 PM

Oh, look -- another "Call Me By Your Name" thread...

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2018 8:14 PM

At least this time it's an anti thread. It's about fucking time we take this misogynistic, antisemitic, homophobic dago pedo shit down a peg.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2018 8:22 PM

R30 has been SERIOUSLY triggered

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2018 8:27 PM

You have no fucking idea, R31. In real life, if you want your heart and your nose broken, then by all means get involved with Italians.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2018 8:29 PM

Sony is based in Japan. Japan allied with Hitler. So did Italy. This is Nazi propaganda, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2018 8:30 PM

What on earth is R32 talking about???

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2018 8:40 PM

I just blocked R32 from another thread - clearly a SJW wannabe on the rampage over something imaginary.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2018 8:42 PM

You can't block out reality, pedo apologist R34/R35. Or are you a Sony shill?

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2018 8:46 PM

Can't we have any gay movies that are 100% gay, 100% Jewish, and 0% Italian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2018 8:47 PM

R17 All "those locals" were families from Milan and Paris who also have summer homes in the area and have known the Perlmans for decades. This is made clear when the gay couple come for dinner and Elio introduces Marzia as "the girl from Paris". The Perlmans don't live in the villa full time... it's a summer house.

The only "locals" portrayed in the film as interacting with any main character are the guys Oliver plays poker with in a bar and then Malfada (the cook) and Anchise (the groundskeeper) who both work for the Perlmans.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2018 9:40 PM

I wish they would keep this a fringe 'arthouse' movie- like "For A Lost Soldier". Instead of shoving it down the general public's throat as an OSCAR CONTENDER.

I cringe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2018 9:58 PM

Just because you’re ageist, OP, doesn’t mean everyone else is.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2018 10:02 PM

U ARE DISTURBED MENTALLY IF U DONT SEE THAT MOVIE AS ANYTING BUT A SWEET LOVE STORY.

ARMIE DONT LOOK LIKE HIS DAD U FREAK !!!

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2018 10:32 PM

Why can't Armie just date a nice girl?

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2018 11:01 PM

Father and son or more at home in one of the infamous nephew threads?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2018 11:42 PM

Father and son.

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2018 11:50 PM

I couldn’t enjoy it all because of the creep factor. Did not want them together and relieved when the parting came. You’re supposed to want them to be together in movies like this.

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2018 11:55 PM

I agree with the miscast opinions. Chalamet has the body of a 12 year old, especially in the shirtless scenes, and Hammer indeed looks old enough to be his father. His actual father in the film looks quite a bit older than Hammer, which I'm sure is no accident. The disparities were too distracting, and made me a little uncomfortable. I wanted to like it but I couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2018 11:55 PM

The disparities between ages and sizes was no coincidence. A personal creepy fetish of creepy Luca. A perfectly good book sullied by bad casting.

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2018 11:57 PM

It was the best casting they could do with their tiny budget. Hopefully, its success will lead to better funding for gay cinema.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2018 12:02 AM

Timmy’s getting nominated for all of the awards. Armie was nominated for a Golden Globe and the Critic’s Choice award.

Let’s see..:do we trust the expert’s opinions or some random person, many of whom are not so bright, on an anonymous chat board?

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2018 12:09 AM

r49 No offense, Armie. You just weren't very good in this. "Timmy" was better than you, but even he wasn't that great. If you had been better, maybe we, the audience, would have forgotten the physical disparities and felt something for the characters. Next time, champ.

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2018 12:28 AM

gary oldman stop posting all these disses against this movie and armie....

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2018 12:42 AM

R49 Neither. We come here and put down people's opinions on an "opinion" board, that's what we do. Loser!

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2018 12:44 AM

Don't judge a book by its cover, OP.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2018 12:46 AM

I thought the differences between them made the whole thing hotter.

by Anonymousreply 54January 18, 2018 12:50 AM

Timmy was great in CMBYN. ‘God’s Own Country’ is a much better film. It’s not ashamed that its lead characters are gay.

by Anonymousreply 55January 18, 2018 12:53 AM

[QUOTE]I thought the differences between them made the whole thing hotter.

That’s because you’re a pervert.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2018 12:57 AM

OP: ITA! That's why I can't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2018 1:18 AM

[quote]I thought the differences between them made the whole thing hotter.

Agree.

by Anonymousreply 58January 18, 2018 1:19 AM

R52 but does your opinion hold any value?

I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 59January 18, 2018 1:20 AM

[quote]You have no fucking idea, [R31]. In real life, if you want your heart and your nose broken, then by all means get involved with Italians.

Blah Blah...what in the world are you talking about?

Italians are hot and more should come to California where they will obviously be worshiped for the Adonises they are ......mmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2018 1:26 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2018 1:30 AM

[quote] Some of you people need a major reality check. I work in higher ed and seen grad students in their early 20's who look very similar to Hammer. The idea that he looks 40 is just absurd, so I agree with [R14] that you're either a bunch of hand-wringing Marys or trolls (or both). And if you think Chalamet looks 15, you clearly haven't seen many 15-year-olds lately. They definitely look younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2018 1:39 AM

R54 R58 Thank you. That was my intent. I like little boys too.

by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2018 1:59 AM

By Nazi propaganda you mean anti-gay and pro-pedo?

Tiny Tim is a big SJW, uh, his own film makes normal adults really uncomfortable to look at. The agenda is to desensitized the public.

On Ellen they looked like a middle aged hipster dad and his young high schooler son.

Did anyone else know T dated Madonna' s daughter? Bet he's a total famewhore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 18, 2018 2:13 AM

r64 I don't even buy their chemistry in that fucking interview! And look at Ellen creaming her briefs over them. I'm beside myself.

by Anonymousreply 65January 18, 2018 2:25 AM

That interview was a bit awkward, particularly the beginning. They both appear to be uncomfortable. And Armie's skinny burgundy pants striped sweater/white tennis shoes combo is not working. That sweater does not really work with those pants very well. The skinny short pants aren't working on his long legs. Then the dingy white tennis shoes. its all a NO. For some reason it reminds me of Dan Aykroids Trading Places character's post money loss costume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 18, 2018 5:09 AM

[quote] By Nazi propaganda you mean anti-gay and pro-pedo?

Let me put it this way: It looks like something Kevin Spacey's father would have enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 67January 18, 2018 5:15 AM

In the OP pic, the kid looks almost prepubescent. That's creepy, with the big guy rubbing him.

by Anonymousreply 68January 18, 2018 5:20 AM

[quote]Italians are fat, loudmouthed, prejudiced pigs and they've driving up the cost of living in California by buying up all the real estate and raising rent and also raising taxes to make it harder for poor people and minorities to get ahead.

Fixed. Sorry to burst your bubble.

by Anonymousreply 69January 18, 2018 5:26 AM

I just can't get over how many adults actually find this kid attractive. And all this time I seriously thought it was just a couple of DL fetishists making a whole lot of noise. This is stranger than the frenzy over Lautner and the One Direction kids. As creepy as that all was, at least those kids had clearly gone through puberty..

by Anonymousreply 70January 18, 2018 5:35 AM

R70 He's 22, not a "kid". I find him very sexy and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 71January 18, 2018 6:10 AM

R71, he may be 22 but he has the body and stature of an adolescent, at most. If you are older than 20 yourself and find that attractive, you're gross.

by Anonymousreply 72January 18, 2018 6:54 AM

R72 are we taking about howTimmy’s appears in CMBYN, or in real life?

by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2018 7:03 AM

It definitely made me think of the ‘homos can never be happy’ films/plays I saw when I was growing up. They did nothing but piss me off and make me determined to prove them wrong. I hope this does the same for any young gay men who see it.

While the whole beautiful but doomed love affair thing is equally prevalent in films about heterosexuals, there are just so few films about gay men in relationships CMBYN felt regressive.

That whole ‘Idyllic, illicit love affair’ thing just reinforces the ‘but now you need to find a woman and start a family or face a life of loneliness’ bullshit.

We’re better than that.

by Anonymousreply 74January 18, 2018 7:22 AM

R74 again - oh, and bits of it were a bit creepy. But I’d just prefer a film in which two grown men get together.

But there’s such a small window for that given most gay men think it’s over after 25.

by Anonymousreply 75January 18, 2018 7:25 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 18, 2018 7:44 AM

who is the mental case posting all this hate for this lyrical sweet movie???

bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 77January 18, 2018 7:54 AM

There’s some very bitter people who hate this movie on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 78January 18, 2018 7:57 AM

There are some discerning people on DL who hate this movie.

by Anonymousreply 79January 18, 2018 8:01 AM

R72 Don't judge me like that, it's gross!

by Anonymousreply 80January 18, 2018 9:05 AM

This film is pretentious drivel with delusions of grandeur.

by Anonymousreply 81January 18, 2018 9:27 AM

[QUOTE]I didn't mind Armie being cast as the Graduate fellow. It's possible to be a Grad student in your 30's. I've known quite a few. But TImothee was way too young looking. I agree he looked about 15 at best.

That’s fine and dandy, but why are they trying to tell us one is 17 and the other 24? Because if they said 15 and 35, there’d be calls to outright ban the movie from American theaters. They’re blowing smoke up our asses to reach mainstream audiences.

by Anonymousreply 82January 18, 2018 2:21 PM

The characters have been established as 17 and 24, since 2007, when the book was published, you illiterate idiot.

Now, you are pulling out of your ass R82

by Anonymousreply 83January 18, 2018 2:28 PM

[quote] This film is pretentious drivel with delusions of grandeur.

They have been trying to brainwash us into thinking creepy movies where nothing actually happens are "art." Maybe Jennifer North was right about subtitles on a bare bottom not making a movie art (and VOTD was ahead of its time in exposing the misogyny of Hollywood), except this is in English.

by Anonymousreply 84January 18, 2018 2:32 PM

[QUOTE]The characters have been established as 17 and 24, since 2007, when the book was published,

Are you so dense that you can’t see a book and movie are two completely different vehicles? If the director cared that much about the book, he wouldn’t have cast old ass Armie Hammer as Oliver and a bony little boy as Elio! Nobody read that book in 2007 picturing Oliver in their mind as someone who looks like he could be Elio’s father!

They took the book and twisted it into a perversion! That is my point!

by Anonymousreply 85January 18, 2018 2:34 PM

white people seem to look younger than their age until they turn 25, then instantly start looking 10 years older

by Anonymousreply 86January 18, 2018 2:55 PM

Grotty.

by Anonymousreply 87January 18, 2018 9:43 PM

Gosh the drama queens on this board. It's possible to love the movie yet hate the casting, which I do. I do hate that they couldn't show a normal relationship between two young "men", one at the cusp of his youth and the other just over the youth 24. I envisioned two fresh faced young men when I read the story. Not one emaciated 12 yo looking boy and a balding, way over the hill grown up man. They had to make one look like a boy and the other old man. The "apparent" age difference should disturb most people who believe that men shouldn't have sexual relationship with boys.

by Anonymousreply 88January 18, 2018 11:24 PM

The goal is to desensitize and normalize preying on kids. If you see the images enough, eventually it may seem less creepy. There is an agenda to use the gay rights legal framework to legalize pedos and incest.

Gay men deserve films that are not pedo propaganda cloaked in homophobia. Pervs, begone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 19, 2018 5:21 AM

Butt corn crazy ^^^

by Anonymousreply 90January 19, 2018 5:24 AM

R89 is off his meds again.

by Anonymousreply 91January 19, 2018 6:20 AM

R89 but what about Monsanto and Lizard People?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 19, 2018 6:57 AM

Who would have been a better choice for the older man?

by Anonymousreply 93January 19, 2018 7:42 PM

Any actor who looks around 24 and not so looming large in front of the tiny man Chalamet. Timmy is a tall man but somehow they make him look shorter in the movie. Theere is an obvious attempt to exaggerate and enhance the size difference between their physiques.

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2018 8:37 PM

Aaron Taylor-Johnson might have been a good choice. At least he does not look 40 like Armie.

by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2018 8:44 PM

Armie does NOT look 40 in the film at all. You queens needs to get out of the house more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 19, 2018 8:58 PM

Here's a photo of a 40-year old man, and he certainly looks older than Hammer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 19, 2018 9:00 PM

Armie looks around 35-37. Not a graduate student. Still too old to be romancing a 17 yo.

by Anonymousreply 98January 19, 2018 9:04 PM

I’m actually with r89

Straights did the same thing with Brittany Spears’ “Hit Me One More Time” song, video and record cover

by Anonymousreply 99January 19, 2018 9:12 PM

Are CMBYN fans also Woody Allen fans?

by Anonymousreply 100January 19, 2018 9:54 PM

r100, they are Kevin Spacey fans.

by Anonymousreply 101January 19, 2018 9:56 PM

OP is a deplorable.

This is another thread of his:

[quote]Why Are the Democrats Proud to Be Shutting Down the Government?

by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2018 11:58 PM

That was obvious from the start R102

But thanks for pointing out the OP’s continual stupidity

by Anonymousreply 103January 20, 2018 12:00 AM

OP is seriously immature and somewhat stupid.

by Anonymousreply 104January 20, 2018 12:04 AM

This is moonlight all over again, boring sexless gay art film that dosen't offend the heteros getting hyped up to the heavens.

by Anonymousreply 105January 20, 2018 12:20 AM

Go watch porn if all you’re concerned about sex scenes R105

Moonlight was a great film, you sad cunt.

by Anonymousreply 106January 20, 2018 12:35 AM

R105 This film is so much sexier than Moonlight.

by Anonymousreply 107January 20, 2018 12:40 AM

R107 = racist

by Anonymousreply 108January 21, 2018 12:27 AM

[quote] Are CMBYN fans also Woody Allen fans?

That French boy was also in a film for him and then donated his salary. If he was intellectually consistent, he'd do the same here.

by Anonymousreply 109January 21, 2018 12:28 AM

Damned Google search results... grad student 1983 (29 year-old)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 21, 2018 12:55 AM

Yeah, R95, but the character is supposed to be smart.

by Anonymousreply 111January 21, 2018 1:29 AM

Watching other people have movie sex is time you could be spending having real sex.

by Anonymousreply 112January 21, 2018 1:36 AM

Yes, R112, because it's impossible to squeeze both of those activities into an ordinary life. You must choose one or the other.

by Anonymousreply 113January 21, 2018 1:39 AM

R109 = intellectually disabled

by Anonymousreply 114January 21, 2018 1:42 AM

I just saw it today. It was good at taking me back to what it feels like to fall in love for the first time - so exciting and yet so painful at once. Re: grossness - to me there seemed to be excessive shirtless Elio scenes, to the extent that I felt like maybe someone's fantasies were being broadcast on screen. TC really does have an almost prepubescent-looking body.

In any case, I thought the overall film was effective and successful. I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 115January 21, 2018 1:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!