Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chappy: the new gay SJW dating app!

This New App Is Pledging to End Dating Discrimination

Let’s face it: Dating is hard enough. While most of the action has moved from the gay bar to any number of dating and social apps, new technology has introduced a whole set of new problems and pitfalls while finding your Prince Charming.

Luckily, a new app is out to help you avoid kissing so many frogs along the way.

Chappy has been helping men find more meaningful connections by allowing users to specify upfront if they’re looking for “Mr. Right” or “Mr. Right Now” and moderating profiles to include valid face photos. However, it’s not what users are including in their profiles that sets Chappy apart; it’s what’s not there — racism, ableism, ageism and discrimination.

On Chappy, users are required to agree to the Chappy Pledge promising they’ll be respectful to all users. The pledge reads in full:

“At Chappy we believe beauty is found in the way you treat others. Discrimination by race, religion, disability, gender identity, age or anything else is strictly forbidden. By using Chappy, users commit to treating their fellow members with respect, kindness and honesty, without judgment or bias.”

Or, more simply put, “Don’t be a d*ck.” The result is a much more pleasant (and less infuriating) dating experience, blissfully browsing authentic profiles without fear.

Check out how users reacted to the pledge in the video below:

We spoke to the app’s founders — reality-TV star Ollie Locke, Badoo co-founder Max Cheremkhin and mobile marketing expert Jack Rogers — about the inspiration of the pledge and how they made it central to Chappy’s mission.

Why was it important for you to include the pledge in the app?

We care about the community, and we want people to enjoy dating, not feel alienated. From our market research, we found that people weren’t being respectful on gay dating apps and we wanted to get in front the issue and address it. Chappy is a space in which you can celebrate your differences.

What was the process like writing the pledge?

The Pledge was a team project, born from experiences and research. We drew on the strengths of everyone in the team – having a diverse company helped shape The Pledge creatively, but it also ensured it had real nuance in market. We interviewed 40 diverse gay men and simply listened to their stories. It was cathartic and, empowering, we really wanted to change the existing market offering and give the community something new, something valuable. We finally chose 16 men, took the concept to production house, Pink Banana, which helped us produce the final product.

Has anything surprised you about the response to the pledge from users?

It’s a bold move in our space – so we weren’t surprised by the response. However, we were surprised by how quickly it happened. We received a huge amount of heartwarming messages and heartbreaking stories. People suddenly saw an alternative, they were grateful and that was especially emotional for us. It helped motivate us to push The Pledge as far as we could. Without sharing personal stories there was just a sense of relief and gratitude for what we are trying to do.

How do you think the pledge will change how users interact on Chappy vs. other dating/social apps?

That’s the idea that underpins The Chappy Pledge – we’re actively doing what we can to stamp out all ‘isms’ on our platform. Ageism, fatism, racism – all of them. However, we accept we may never eradicate prejudice from within the gay community, we are, as a brand taking steps to protect people from having to even see profiles with sexual ‘preferences’. We believe listing these ‘preferences’ is inherently discriminatory and there is no place for discrimination on Chappy. It’s why we have banned all racial preferences within users profiles – even those that may be deemed positive. We hope that spreads into how people treat people, in general, including other platforms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 12:37 AM

If they use the g-word that rhymes with blender, it sounds like there will be a push to force PIV-rape onto gay men and lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 3:47 PM

sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 3:52 PM

Me too, R2, because that leaves all the guys who are actually worth dating for all the other apps.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 3:55 PM

Chappy: the Dating App for People with Great Personalities!

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 4:01 PM

Grindr is basically an SJW app these days so 'Chappy' is a little too late for that market.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 4:02 PM

Sounds good. I'll check it out. This is kind of the world I want.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 4:02 PM

Grindr is owned by a Chinese company now, so I kind of don't trust it for security and privacy. I'll check out Chappy.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 4:02 PM

[quote]Chappy has been helping men find more meaningful connections by allowing users to specify upfront if they’re looking for “Mr. Right” or “Mr. Right Now”

Doesn't Grindr have the option to state what you want on your profile? And even if it didn't, couldn't you just ask the guy you're talking to?

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 4:04 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 4:07 PM

So it's a UK app by guys from a UK reality show? [independent UK link]

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2018 4:07 PM

I've noticed Chappy ads on DL the past few days and now this thread shows up.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2018 4:08 PM

Chappy is the startup from this rich guy on UK tv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2018 4:10 PM

Not into fats, fems, or blacks. I am masculine and I am looking for same, No drama, HWP, and drug and disease free.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2018 4:12 PM

I suspect... wealthier guys are going to use this.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2018 4:13 PM

What's HWP R13?

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 4:13 PM

It means "I hate fat people," R15.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 4:14 PM

[quote] Me too, [R2], because that leaves all the guys who are actually worth dating for all the other apps

Yes if you consider bigots to be desirable (obviously you do); then yes that's true. The next white supremacist white nationalist march would probably be a good place for you to meet a potential mate. Or you could also just attend a local Republican Party meet & greet.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2018 4:17 PM

I'm not sure how having people agree to a pledge before they cruise for sex is going to change anything. It's not the app that's the problem.

And Chappy is Latin for "horse's toenail". What an odd choice.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2018 4:20 PM

R1 *yawn* alt-right troll

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 4:22 PM

R17, stop projecting your own racism onto me.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2018 4:22 PM

R19 = another racist regressive leftist who thinks the Slaveocrat Party owns' minority votes.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2018 4:25 PM

This sounds great!

I wish there was a similar SJW app for straights too. Anything that weeds out the douchebags (there are so many!).

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2018 4:33 PM

[quote]And Chappy is Latin for "horse's toenail". What an odd choice.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2018 4:37 PM

[quote]I wish there was a similar SJW app for straights too. Anything that weeds out the douchebags (there are so many!).

Brogressives use their fauxgressive bromides as a cover for their douchebaggery.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2018 4:39 PM

R21 is that Breitbartese for something?

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2018 4:40 PM

[quote]Brogressives use their fauxgressive bromides as a cover for their douchebaggery.

I thought brogressives (ie, Bernie Bros) were open misogynists who hated identity politics?

Supporting identity politics, and paying lip-service to intersectionalism to mask one's more problematic views, is something a Hillbot would do. Like this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2018 4:43 PM

They have a nice Instagram page. Not all predatory and hypersexual... Positive, cute, sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2018 4:52 PM

[quote]However, it’s not what users are including in their profiles that sets Chappy apart; it’s what’s not there — racism, ableism, ageism and discrimination.

Attraction is, by definition, discriminatory. Someone who doesn't discriminate will find everyone in the entire world equally attractive.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2018 4:52 PM

[quote] However, it’s not what users are including in their profiles that sets Chappy apart; it’s what’s not there — racism, ableism, ageism and discrimination.

"No ageism" on a dating app? So a user is shamed away from setting an age spectrum preference? And should be matched with someone 50 years older or younger than him - just to avoid "ageist discrimination"?

This app sounds self-righteous and not very well thought out. Burn it with fire.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2018 6:41 PM

How much is it?

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2018 6:42 PM

The rune they're using for their logo is Dagaz, which is used to project invisibility by magicians, unfortunate that they didn't get anyone who knows this on their design team (which I'm assuming was 99 Designs and the logo cost $100).

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2018 6:44 PM

You have to sign in through Facebook. Forget it.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2018 7:19 PM

R31 it's a little bow tie

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2018 7:29 PM

If all SJWs will migrate there and leave normal people alone, I’m all for it.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2018 10:59 PM

Forget your troubles, come on, Get Chappy!

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2018 11:04 PM

So seemingly any personal preferences whatever = discrimination. So we don't already endure enough sex policing from straight people...?

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2018 11:55 PM

The only way I see this working is if they focused more on relationships than hook-ups. People looking for Mr. "Right Now" are only interested in someone that can meet those needs so it doesn't matter if you censor and edit people's profile when you are inviting the same behavior.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2018 12:20 AM

Get ready to date a Muslim or a trans man.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 12:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!