Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you go into work even when ill?

Do you show up even when you're a dragging mess to display your good work ethic?

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2018 1:12 AM

Hell, no! In my younger days, I did. But now, no way.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 1:03 PM

Yes, lol. I never miss work.

This last year I had just shy of 300 PTO (paid time off) hours accrued. My company will only allow you to roll over 120 so I lose tons of hours every year. At one point they were talking about creating a bank whereby an employee could donate hours to those who had none and had emergencies. The bank has never materialized. I wish they would offer to pay us for them, even if at a reduced rate.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 1:07 PM

If you haven't proven your "work ethic" when you are healthy, you just look like an attention., seeking martyr, endangering others by going to work ill.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 1:10 PM

No. Why would I want to spread my flu germs around?

I think it’s different if you’re on an hourly wage, little petty tyrant managers will punish you for not coming in and making everyone else sick but if you’re in a professional position you’re expected to have the sense to not endanger others.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 1:13 PM

R2 also raised his hand for every question in school. Narcissist through and through. " Have I told you how much PTO I don't use today. Just in case, let me say it again?"

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 1:15 PM

R2 You're the asshole who infects everyone on the floor with his germs and who everyone resents. But because you're a narcissistic prick, you're completely unaware of how much everyone at the office hates you and talks about you behind your back.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 1:17 PM

Just as clarification, let me also point out that I am never, ever sick. I actually can't remember the last time I had any sort of ailment such as a upper respiratory infection, etc., so no, Drama Queens, I am not infecting anyone.

R5 is just bitter because he has no PTO hours and had to go to work today.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 1:17 PM

Never. I'm not productive when I feel like whale shit at the bottom of the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 1:17 PM

It's called "work-life" balance and no responsible executive will promote or give raises to martyrs who can't prioritize health and will likely burn out quickly

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 1:18 PM

You don’t go to work when you’re sick and can make others sick. As a boss, I won’t tell you to go home (unless I can, then I will), but I can think you’re inconsiderate of others if you come to work sick, and it will impact my impression of you.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2018 1:19 PM

Yes. But only if I'm not working with food.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2018 1:20 PM

If I had norovirus then I would - just to make sure my boss and everyone else got it too.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2018 1:21 PM

R7 First you say you go to work when you're sick, then you say you're never sick. So you're also a serial liar. No wonder everyone hates you at the office.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2018 1:21 PM

R7 Jealous of PTO - LOL! Sick burn, girl!

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2018 1:23 PM

R2 wrong again. You really are sad and your co-workers and supervisors see through your facade to the pathetic "human doing" that you are.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 1:26 PM

I am retired now, but what really pissed me off were the parents of their little disease vectors (their brats) who came in to work with every upper respiratory disease that came down the pike.

I would not let them in my office!

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 1:29 PM

I divorced work attendance from health long ago. I used to go in stoned, drunk, hungover, or sick and save my days for when I wanted to do something fun.

Now, I plan illness to avoid work-related events of supreme stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2018 1:30 PM

In today's world of telecommuting, I see no point in insisting that people come to work when ill. Check your email, do what you can, but for god's sake, don't come in and infect everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2018 1:30 PM

No. I will work from home if I am able to but I stay home when I am sick. When I was just starting out in my career I showed up at the office with fever, chills, etc and before I even got my coat off was sent home in a taxi with a lecture about acting like a responsible grown up and risking far more damage to the organization by spreading my germs. One individual is completely replaceable for a day or even a week or two. A whole team down with the flu or a bug is not. It was very humiliating for me but taught me a valuable lesson.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 1:34 PM

A) You're not always contagious when you're ill.

B) Some companies really side-eye sickness absence, thinking that the employee is really playing hookie.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2018 1:39 PM

"A) You're not always contagious when you're ill." -- and you can prove this how?

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2018 1:41 PM

R20 A) More often than not, you're contagious when you're ill, especially if it's a cold or flu virus, which it usually is.

B) They can side-eye at work all they want, but if I'm legitimately ill, they can go fuck themselves. I'm doing them a favor.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2018 1:42 PM

I don't know where you guys are working but absences are the number one reason my office gets rid of people. I work as a federal defender which is similar to a public defender but at the federal level. Attorneys and support staff alike will be dismissed for excessive absences. Unless you're dying of Dengue fever you're not expected to have any unexcused absences. I'm thirty six and I've been there since graduating from law school. Nobody can say anything negative about me personally or my work. This time next year I'll be the youngest Chief Federal Defender this county has ever had, so all you bitter, jealous fags with your mall jobs can suck it.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2018 1:44 PM

Sick as a dog last week but I’m working from home during office renovation so nobody knew I was sick. I don’t ever call in so not sure what I’d have done if in the office as usual. Company makes a big deal about not coming to work sick.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2018 1:46 PM

r23, oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2018 1:46 PM

R23 Smell her!

She'll be fired within the next six months for making a careless mistake - distracted by her own delusions of adequacy.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2018 1:46 PM

I can't miss work. Absences are seriously frowned upon. I work as an Architectural Assistant at a major firm and I'm expected to be at work rain, sleet or snow. Or flu.

People who miss work aren't going to last long, and they sure aren't going to advance.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2018 2:01 PM

[quote]"A) You're not always contagious when you're ill." -- and you can prove this how?

Seriously?

Is a migraine contagious? Is an ear infection? Is diabetes? Severe back pain? Cancer? All of these, and more, are illnesses that could keep you from going to work, but are not contagious.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2018 2:03 PM

I was thinking more about the sneezing, coughing, hacking, nose blowing illnesses, r28.

I apologize for fluffing your feathers.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2018 2:43 PM

Any company "side-eyeing" responsible use of PTO/sick time likely has high turnover, mounting wrongful termination lawsuits and a high risk of a disgruntled shooter visiting them. Find a better company asap.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2018 3:05 PM

I was hit by a car while walking in a parking lot, nothing broken just a huge lump on my shin and it hurt to walk. I was suppose to be on crutches, doctor in the emergency room said to stay off of it for 48 hours. It was the day before Christmas Eve a very busy day for us (no I don't work retail) because so many people are already off, so I went to work and limped around all day. Not a sit down job. Union job, so sucking up really doesn't do much good, I just went to work because I knew I was needed. I have called in sick when I wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2018 3:34 PM

It's the people who approved the time-offs to also account for unexpected emergencies. You are micro-managing from below.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2018 3:44 PM

R23, you’re obviously aware that all of your internet activity is available for viewing if you are logged into any of your WiFi stations. Why do you risk coming on DL, in order to waste time, babbling about what a productive and conscientious government employee you are?

EVERYONE and EVERYTHING is monitored in the building in which you sit, so unless you are being paid to cruise DL, I cannot justify why you are on this site, bragging about yourself.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2018 4:24 PM

Oooh, r23, you just got flamethrowered by r33! Ha, ha!

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2018 4:44 PM

If only there were cellular devices that offered data access to internets...perhaps we'd call them data plans and we'd avoid high band-width sites in favor of simpler user interfaced sites and we'd laugh and laugh at R33 and then we'd have snacks and tell riddles....

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2018 6:02 PM

Everybody in my office is sick. One person has pneumonia and the dumbass boss is hassling him. Obviously, it would be better for people to stay home.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2018 11:50 PM

Never. So many people in my life have had medical treatments like chemo that destroys the immune system. It’s ignorant to believe everyone around you is as healthy as you, and will feel better in days. No immune system and a cold evolves into something that can kill you.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2018 12:19 AM

I worked for UPS and I caught pneumonia at Christmas time. They wrote me a letter of warning, but withdrew it after I threatened legal action. Boy was I sick.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 12:47 AM

Yes, because I use most of my sick days as personal days when I can't deal with people.

So, I go into work sick so that they think that when I don't go to work it's because I'm really sick.

Besides most of the the time I've gotten sick it's because other coworkers came to work sick, so F them, damned open office space.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2018 12:53 AM

I love how proud R23 is for working in such a shitty environment. No life and no prayer of ever getting one and he's somehow trying to turn this into a virtue. Meanwhile, I work in the high-tech world, where I can work from home or even take my sick days completely off, where nobody gives a shit and I'm not judged because I stayed home with the flu. And I take my vacation days every year because I love visiting new cities and our national parks.

So yes, R23, I will stay with my job, thanks, with a company and a manager that respect me.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2018 12:58 AM

[quote] It's called "work-life" balance and no responsible executive will promote or give raises to martyrs who can't prioritize health and will likely burn out quickly.

R9, that was the motto of my employer for ages. But a few years ago, the CAO said "If you don't want to work the number of hours that the job requires, then perhaps this isn't the right company for you."

Business morals are always relative, not literal.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2018 1:00 AM

I've gone to work with a fractured skull and another time with a broken shoulder. Both times were in the middle of emergencies and I couldn't not be there to take control.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2018 1:08 AM

I goddamn HATE it when peoole come to work when they're sick. What are you proving to your coworkers? That you're a selfish martyr? Stay home, idiot!

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2018 1:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!