Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dionne Warwick was asked if Beyonce is the greatest singer of all time...

She said no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 20, 2018 6:50 PM

How dare she?

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 9:38 AM

Why does she have to be a.....heartbreaker?

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 9:45 AM

luv her

known as one of the meanest cunts in the biz

she will cut u u look at her cross eyed!

rage on girl!

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 9:52 AM

She’s absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 9:54 AM

Wait? She's back in the US? I though she was on the lam to Brazil because she owed the IRS millions. Why is she just walking around? President Trump needs to get on to delinquent taxpayers.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 10:31 AM

She’s right. Beyonce is a performer. Her voice is nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 10:36 AM

Beyoncé is a soulless product who mimes at presidential inaugurations.

I have more respect for Dionne now.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 10:57 AM

Beyonce is good at what she does (entertaining morons), but she’s not the greatest singer of all time. Not remotely.

What a stupid question.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 10:59 AM

I’d say Ella Fitzgerald was.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 10:59 AM

Was the paparazzi guy a DLer?

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2018 11:05 AM

why are people even considering a question like this? beyonce is not the greatest singer of all time - nor even close. millenials, please get your heads out of your asses already...

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2018 11:21 AM

That whole family is ghetto trash with money. But then, so is Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2018 11:26 AM

Ella Fitzgerald has a voice like cream being poured. A true talent.

But I'd have to say that Celine Dion is probably the best vocalist around today. I'm not a fan and I only like a few of her songs but she can sing perfectly live, almost like a recording. She uses her voice like musical instrument.

I lost all respect for her though when seeing her perform at some hideous patriotic military themed concert. She was marching around the stage like an Uncle Sam soldier. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2018 11:34 AM

Ugh, I was so late to the Ella party, but I agree that she's arguably the best pop/jazz singer of all time.

Celine of the big three (her Whitney and Mariah) is one of the best technical vocalists. And Celine can sing perfectly live...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2018 12:10 PM

etta james dammit!

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 12:12 PM

Why didn't Dionne say herself?

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 12:20 PM

[quote]Why didn't Dionne say herself?

She's not delusional. Her name is Dionne, not Donald.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2018 12:35 PM

You mean Sealion Dion r13. Honk, honk.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2018 12:40 PM

R18, I am here to listen. Teach me your ways.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 12:45 PM

Sinead O’Connor, end of story. If you only know of Nothing Conpare 2 U, you’re doing yourself a disservice.

Hell, Dolores is a better singer than Beyoncé.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2018 1:02 PM

Ella, Sarah Vaughn, Toni Tennille, Streisand, Barbara Cook, Whitney Houston...any one of them superior to Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2018 1:09 PM

[quote] That whole family is ghetto trash with money. But then, so is Beyonce.

"Ghetto" because . . . why exactly?

Do you also use that term to describe whites that you don't like?

Its nice to be able to get on your white supremacist high horse about black celebrities, who are so much more successful than you. Isn't it? They maybe a million times more talented, more driven, and more successful, but they'll never have the white skin pedigree. So you definitely 1 upped them there.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2018 1:21 PM

Bewigged is a pussy-popper, not a singer.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2018 1:23 PM

Asking La Warwick if Beyoncé is the greatest singer of all time is like asking Dave Chapelle if Gallagher is the greatest comedian of all time.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2018 1:28 PM

Paparazzi ask leading questions trying to start shit and get it on film. Miss Warwick handled it perfectly (including the question about the black Trump supporter).

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2018 1:44 PM

And I love the fact that she used the classic 'have a good day' to shut him down. Dummy.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2018 1:46 PM

Why didn't she say Whitney in her prime.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2018 1:49 PM

Isn't this question an insult to Dionne. Wouldn't she be considered top of the list.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2018 1:49 PM

Beyonce isn't even in the top 1000.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2018 1:51 PM

No one can define "greatest singer," so the point is moot

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2018 1:52 PM

Whitney was not better than Ella Fitzgerald, either. She was a top contender at one time, yes, but Warwick was right on the money. Not to mention that she'd look biased if she named her cousin.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2018 1:54 PM

I should get some credit -- no one made Whitney sing like I did.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2018 1:58 PM

Beyonce isn't even in the top ten.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2018 2:14 PM

[Quote]Why didn't Dionne say herself?

She didn't need to - it's a known fact that she's one of the best singers of all time. Her 60s repetoire is legendary in its excellence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2018 2:19 PM

Dionne's 60s stuff in incredible. She's a crazy old bitch now, but back then she was IT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2018 2:35 PM

Her beauty really bloomed in the 80's.

Is there already a thread about her best songs? Couldn't find one via search

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2018 2:44 PM

She's lucky she's a Black woman. If a Black man, or a white woman, or -- God forbid -- a white man had said that, Twitter would be ablaze with hot takes about how we all fail to recognize Beyoncé as the greatest artist since man started to paint on cave walls due to "misogynoir".

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2018 2:45 PM

Mirror, mirror on the wall,

Who's the greatest singer of them all..........?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2018 2:47 PM

Judy Garland was a singer's singer - Aretha Franklin said that she had no peer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2018 2:50 PM

Aretha also said, 'Beyonce, who?' after that Grammy performance where Beyonce referred to Tina as the queen of soul. I love you, Auntie Ree-Ree, but GURL!

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2018 2:55 PM

Someone spray the Beyhive!!! They’re trying to take over Datalounge!!!

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2018 3:08 PM

LOL R41

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2018 3:20 PM

Sarah Vaughn, Linda Ronstadt, Maria Callas, Linda Thompson....

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2018 3:32 PM

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Adele. I don’t think she’s the greatest singer of all time either, but she’s a lot better than Beyonce, and of contemporary of hers as well. Beyonce doesn’t hold a candle to Adele. Whitney, Barbra, Celine, Aretha, Patti LaBelle and Karen Carpenter are all much better singers than Beyonce as well. Hell, Christina Aguilera, Pink and Kelly Clarkson are better singers. Ella Fitzgerald is probably the greatest.

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2018 3:36 PM

I want my Maria Callas as a hologram concert!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2018 3:38 PM

Leontyne Price, Barbra Streisand, Judy Garland

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2018 3:38 PM

All hail Dionne!

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2018 3:59 PM

The interviewer is a complete and utter moron. "What would Beyonce have to do to become the greatest singer of all time?"?????

What the fuck does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2018 4:17 PM

[quote] Judy Garland was a singer's singer - Aretha Franklin said that she had no peer.

Aretha said that Judy had no peer IN HER GENRE. Aretha certainly considered Ella, Dinah Washington, Clara Ward and Mahalia Jackson to be better singers than Judy. I think Aretha -- and many, many others -- believe that she (Aretha) is a better singer than Judy.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2018 5:05 PM

He was trying to bait her onto the TMZ propaganda train.

Shades of Ukraine going on around here these days.

Divide divide divide!

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2018 6:42 PM

R12 Fuck off you racist piece of shit

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2018 7:11 PM

R12 Just came from a thread about Marilyn Monroe being classy by you insult Dionne's family. White hypocrisy at its finest

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2018 7:12 PM

Whitney Houston is the greatest. Followed by Sarah Vaugn. Fuck Ella

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2018 7:14 PM

Shouldn’t choice of material be taken into account? Celine might be a fine technical singer, but if the songs are boring, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2018 7:18 PM

R5 starting with himself, of course.....

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2018 7:20 PM

Beyawnce is not even top 10 of all time!!

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2018 7:20 PM

R54 Celine isn't even a fine technical singer, she sounds annoying. Hearing Whitney get compared to Dion is more upsetting than slurs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2018 7:26 PM

"Whitney Houston is the greatest. Followed by Sarah Vaugn. Fuck Ella"

Actually, why don't you fuck yourself, you tin-eared, junkie-worshiping twat?

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2018 11:29 PM

Dionne Warwick was an artist who expressed emotion through her vocals. Beyonce, although a technically superior vocalist, lacks emotion. Her voice either takes a backseat to the beats (all of her most famous tracks are heavy on club beats) or leaves the listener totally cold. Mariah was one of the few vocalists who could sing with great emotion but also was technically one of the greatest singers ever. Whiteny too. To be fair to be Beyonce, none of her contemporaries could match what those women did in their prime. Ariana Grande is a shining example of how a technically great vocalist could still be an average singer.

by Anonymousreply 59January 18, 2018 12:35 AM

Christina is another singer that leaves me cold but could still showed some glimmers of promise. The only two singers I could think of who sings with great emotion today are Pink and Sia.

by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2018 12:38 AM

Beyonce is not even the best when it comes to delivering uptempo tracks. Rihanna is way better for that.

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2018 12:45 AM

I was trying to hold my toke smoke in, otherwise I'd have said, "Fuck as hell no."

And it's not because she's a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2018 1:29 AM

Curly IS the greatest singer of all time. When he sang opera/soprano he blew the roof right off the house. He can't be beat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2018 1:44 AM

Agreed

by Anonymousreply 64January 18, 2018 2:32 AM

How long ago did Miss Dionne make these comments? This is like the perfect opening for an episode of Got 2B Real! lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 18, 2018 2:51 AM

R51/R52 demonstrate confusion about what racism is.

"Ghetto trash" is not racist. It is simply incorrect, because neither Dionne or Beyonce (piece of shit that she is) were from the "ghetto."

Your desire to "protect" people based on your preferences for an imagined underclass is racist. No one needs your missionary/falsely accusing posing.

Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 66January 18, 2018 3:11 AM

[quote] /[R52] demonstrate confusion about what racism is. "Ghetto trash" is not racist. It is simply incorrect, because neither Dionne or Beyonce (piece of shit that she is) were from the "ghetto." Your desire to "protect" people based on your preferences for an imagined underclass is racist. No one needs your missionary/falsely accusing posing. Cunts. —Biracial, and I know the ghetto and am not afraid of it

1. It's incorrect.

2. What is the intention behind the comment? Why label 2 people from middle and upper middle class families as "ghetto".

I thinks that's the part that you (despite your "biracial" bona fides) are missing. Its a stereotypes that bigots use to demonize racial minorities, regardless of what that minority's socioeconomic status and background may be.

Your comments makes absolutely no sense.

by Anonymousreply 67January 18, 2018 4:39 AM

Thank YOU DIONNE. Bey is as lame as it comes. It was extra nice of Dionne not to laugh or guffaw, cause she probably wanted to. Whitney at the top of her game topped every one, love Ella - limmmiiitted range, but could really work a lyric like nobody’s business. What is with that Celine Bot typing her name over and again?

It took a very ignorant person to ask Dionne this question.

by Anonymousreply 68January 18, 2018 6:02 AM

[quote]I’m surprised no one has mentioned Adele.

Uh, there's a reason for that. She has about a five note range.

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2018 12:52 AM

I don't thnk even Beyonce would call herself that. Of all time? Please. So many others who arguably can claim that. Whitney, Ella, Sarah Vaughan, Judy, Karen Carpenter, Gladys, Barbra, Aretha etc. Was she asked the question in jest?

by Anonymousreply 70January 19, 2018 1:13 AM

I watched every second of the clip at r35 even though I hadn’t planned to. Absolutely transfixed. Such class, poise and presence. All so effortless. Disturbing though how she’s the only black person in that room.

by Anonymousreply 71January 20, 2018 5:32 PM

Well, she's in Belgium, in the '60s, so it's not surprising. People forget the extreme segregation that existed all throughout the West even a few short decades ago.

This is a haunting performance by a brilliant young artist.

by Anonymousreply 72January 20, 2018 6:49 PM

Dionne's got your number, hussy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 20, 2018 6:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!