Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Women and Makeup

On the train to work this morning, I watched a woman as she applied her makeup (yes, tacky, but it will still kind of fascinating to watch). It dawned on me how utterly ridiculous it really is. It was like watching an actor putting on her face before going onstage.

When did this become the societal norm? I guess makeup has always been around in some form or another for certain members of society (Egyptian eyeliner, Kobuki makeup, etc), but today it's commonplace and expected.

Weird. So glad I'm a guy.

by Anonymousreply 87January 20, 2018 6:31 PM

how old are you? It is strange especially when one is young. Have you gotten the shoe thing yet?

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2018 3:59 PM

Make up was invented for stage and screen actors. Max Factor coined the term "make up." Once he developed pancake makeup, and he saw how great it looked both onscreen and off, he started selling it to the general public in 1935.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2018 4:02 PM

Makeup was around long before Max Factor r2. Different styles in different times but it has been around for literally thousands of years. Elizabethan ladies wore white lead makeup, Georgian ladies wore rouge, it’s been around forever.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2018 4:08 PM

You are correct, r3. I should have clarified it as make up as we know it today was first used by stage and screen actors. But Max Factor was the first to call it make up and make it available to the masses.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2018 4:12 PM

Or worse, when they do it in traffic! Was held up by a woman on the beltway who was applying her makeup. I kept Wondering why all the other lanes were moving except for ours. When around her, pulled up alongside this bitch and she was applying lipstick. CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2018 4:16 PM

Kobuki? ..... is that made with cak and graxy?

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2018 4:58 PM

And you've never shamed a woman for looking rough in your life?

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2018 5:00 PM

I once hear someone say (to paraphrase) that one of the hallmarks of civilization is knowing what behavior should be conducted in a bathroom and which can be conducted in public.

I always think about that when I see someone engaging in bathroom-type behavior in public. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who clip their nails on the train. YUCK!!! I can't believe anyone would do that. Ok, makeup is not as bad, but still...Finish grooming before you leave the house (maybe even get up 10 minutes earlier to do it?)

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2018 5:07 PM

Women have to wear makeup or else we'd be burned at the stake.

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2018 5:07 PM

I have been watching a number of French and British TV shows lately. The actresses wear far less make up and sttil have moles etc that we would have removed in a second. Apparently neither French nor British women wear as much make up day to day as US women.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2018 5:08 PM

Cool story, bro.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2018 5:08 PM

Make up will be determined to be the cause of a LOT of female cancers and prematurely ages the skin. I stopped using it in my 20's and have not looked back. It hides nothing, btw. Nothing. Check out what happened to the kuntrashian model with acne.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2018 5:13 PM

Heavens, OP, however did you survive this strange event?

(They also use HAIR DYE, and sometimes it's GREEN! Can you imagine? And they "style" their hair with brushes and dryers. So alien!)

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2018 5:17 PM

Cute movie.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2018 5:20 PM

R13 you are missing my point. Of course I've watched this in some incarnation hundreds of times; I've even done it myself. I was simply pontificating on when did wearing makeup became a requirement for most women in today's society.

Pity you can't wear makeup to hide your ugly personality.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2018 5:22 PM

r13, they don't dye their hair or style it with blowdryers and brushes on public transportation. I once sat on a plane next to a lady who was painting her fingernails. That shit has to be toxic.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2018 5:25 PM

AND we wonder why there's an epidemic of breast cancer? I think painted nails look stupid. The red ones make you look like you just came from a slaughter. Hair dye, nail paint, face goo....and we wonder why women are such bitches? All those chemicals have to effect your mental state.

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2018 5:27 PM

OP, you can google this shit yourself so that you don’t sound so fucking stupid. Women have been wearing makeup since Ancient Egypt and probably earlier. Wearing makeup became commonplace (not a requirement, which it still isn’t) long before today’s society became “today’s society.”

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2018 5:28 PM

I went into a Wendy's once and witnessed a woman clipping her goddamned nails after her meal. One of the most disgusting things I ever saw. If i weren't afraid of getting attacked I would have loved to have said something to the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2018 5:28 PM

Hello Dolly......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2018 5:33 PM

r10 French-yes, British (esp millennials)-no- they've been influenced by IG and the large wealthy Middle Eastern population there.

Here's a brief history of makeup (men were no strangers to it as well). Usually the mark of decline of a culture is excessive adornment in architecture, decorative furniture/housewares, clothing, hair and makeup. The fact that men are adopting makeup again (I've seen it with so many millennials now) is interesting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2018 5:33 PM

Anyone grooming in public drives me crazy. I work with a bunch of temps and you see and hear nail clipping, people combing their hair, doing makeup, loudly applying lotion (squish squish), etc. I also can’t stand those who brush their teeth over the public restroom sink.. yuck! As a woman pushing 40, I wear very light makeup so I don’t look as tired as I often feel. The concept is silly though.

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2018 5:38 PM

R22 OMG yes the teeth brushing is horrible where i work! I can appreciate good oral hygiene but FUUUCCKK!

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2018 5:51 PM

Putting on a bunch of make-up in public is tacky too. Don't feel bad OP, if i's done in public, it's anybody's business.

These people need to allow themselves time in the morning to get that sh*t done at home-if you can paint your nasty nails on the bus, then the next person should be allowed to light up-how is evaporating acetone any less harmful than tobacco smoke? These are the same broads that wear hideous, unadorned hag hair well into their dotage, " 'cause the guys think it's sexy." Yeah, if they're into Cousin It, maybe.

I can understand why a lot of women eschew most of these torturous rituals. I remember as a kid in the 60s, groggily making my way to the bathroom at 5:30AM, seeing mom in her slip and bra, Parliament and coffee cup close by, swirling in a cloud of VO5. Hate the smell of that stuff to this day (g).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2018 5:57 PM

Lately I've noticed people flossing at the table in restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2018 6:01 PM

I speak for many of the elders here when I recall how, in my youth, a proper lady never left the house unless she was fully made-up and wearing a hat, gloves, and stockings.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2018 6:17 PM

A proper lady: dependent, afraid, conventional and still probably cheated on.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2018 10:37 PM

So many girls these days wear such elaborate makeup. Twitter and Instagram are full of professional-looking makeup jobs done by non-makeup artists. It just seems like so much effort.

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2018 10:46 PM

Well way back in the day, it was men who was wearing all the make up all the way in American culture, English culture, African culture, and Asian culture.

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2018 10:50 PM

And will be again, if the fashion vendors have their way. They're desperate to make male makeup a thing.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2018 1:11 AM

Is there vaginal makeup for "not so fresh" days? I'd prefer some that smelled like Febtreze.

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2018 1:22 AM

I'd discovered this cost-saving beauty enhancement by accident: I'm addicted to Lip Balm. One day while driving home from the office, to my horror, I'd discovered I'd misplaced my precious, life-giving lip balm! (I'd about fainted per discovery.) So I whipped my car into the closest pharmacy (Walgreens) to remedy my tortuous malady. I grabbed a tube of this luscious life-saving balm. It is slightly tinted, with only a mere whisper of color to complement my otherwise plain beauty.

Ahhhhhhhh!

(Tint: "Hibiscus")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2018 1:26 AM

R22, R23--I totally agree. Women can be so fucking gross in the work bathroom alone, spitting out toothpaste in the communal sinks when others are waiting to wash their hands, then spending ages flossing their teeth, etc., and then finally spraying on tons of cheap and nasty scent that makes you gag. Where do these people come from? One woman daily leaves a funky smell of overly ripe oranges in the ladies room---which takes ages to dissipate.

What is it with some people? Less is more---and do it at home, please!

by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2018 7:40 AM

WTF is wrong with R22 R23 R33?!

- I clean my teeth at work after lunch. I wouldn't hog a basin/sink if people were waiting AND I rinse swish around the thing when finished properly so as not to leave a mess for uptight cunts like you lot appear to be

Have you never travelled and used airport bathrooms between flights en route and such for ablutions so you don't stink to high heaven and annoy fellow padsengers and travellers either your putridity? Surely it's the same for fellow cube jockeys colleagues?

There are all sorts of reasons someone needs to clean/freshen on the go in bathrooms sometimes even those in the workplace FFS and who are you to get all antsy over it?

A bathroom/ washroom is just that - private(ish) facilities so we can sort ourselves out in civilised fashion in countries in spaces which thankfully aren't "shitholes"!

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2018 11:39 AM

Speaking as a woman, let me point out that a woman often inherits a relationship with maquillage from a mother or sister-figure. The practice is cultural and specific to the individual and her upbringing, usually.

It’s true though that, like almost everything else, the painting of female faces & adornment of female bodies has been insidiously co-opted by grubby industrialists in recent centuries. This is why it has become grotesque, something for public consumption and a way to control women financially & psychologically.

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2018 11:41 AM

People who are interfacing with customers likely need to brush their teeth in the bathroom at work. Not a big deal-- just don't do it during peak hours if you can and make sure you clean the sink out, usually just run enough water to get the paste out.

Never got public nail clippers-- that is not something anyone wants to see

As for the professional makeup jobs on IG, my guess is that those women look great on camera but in person it's like "why is this chick wearing so much makeup, did she take a pain roller to put it on?"

Other than super femmey "genderqueer" types I have not seen a guy wearing makeup beyond a cover-the-zit stick which I've seen straight guys do too, usually at their girlfriends prompting

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2018 11:50 AM

Poor R33 - his mother didn't love him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2018 1:00 PM

The only woman in the universe who didn’t need makeup was Elizabeth Taylor. And she wore a ton of it. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2018 1:29 PM

Woman are told they are ugly without makeup, so they feel obligated to wear it. Not complicated.

by Anonymousreply 39January 13, 2018 1:31 PM

r33- overly ripe oranges is Poo=pourri. Rather smell that than actual poo.

r36- tons of genderqueer types in LA, SF bay area, Williamsburg, NY.

by Anonymousreply 40January 13, 2018 3:39 PM

Would you believe it's the same guy on the right side as on the left?

Amazing! He's clean-shaven and wearing a minimal amount of "man make-up" to cover some flaws and complement his natural coloring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2018 7:54 PM

More examples.

This is the wave of the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2018 7:58 PM

One more.

Handsome and still masculine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2018 8:10 PM

Makeup is a woman's way to trick men into fucking them.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2018 8:12 PM

Flawless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2018 8:13 PM

Give me a man without make up . I did see once on you tube a make up tutorial . She was plastering her make up with a trofle .

by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2018 8:17 PM

I put bobbi brown on my pussay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2018 8:19 PM

R12, that's not even remotely true that makeup causes cancer or premature aging

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2018 8:20 PM

r41, that's a joke, right? he looks like the same guy, just tarted up like a freak trannie

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2018 8:20 PM

Is this you r47?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2018 8:21 PM

[quote]Makeup is a woman's way to trick men into fucking them.

Women do not require tricks (or makeup) for men to fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2018 8:21 PM

The ugly women do, R51. Especially when they're trying to land hot or high-status men.

by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2018 8:24 PM

Yeah, since when do straight men gave to be tricked into fucking women? And no amount of makeup will make an ugly woman gorgeous in the eyes if "high status" men. In my experience the women who wear the most makeup are the ones who are relatively attractive already.

by Anonymousreply 53January 14, 2018 8:26 PM

Women with makeup = painted whores

by Anonymousreply 54January 14, 2018 8:28 PM

R54 = misogynistic gay man who is jealous of women

by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2018 8:35 PM

From a historical perspective, R54 is correct. Prior to the mid 1300s, the Church forbid makeup. Women who wore makeup were assumed to be "sex workers".

However, once royalty and nobility wanted to use makeup to cover up plague sores and such, the Church relented.

Apparently this led to fraudulent begging:

By the sixteenth century, some people began to use make-up as a way to mimic the look of leprosy so that they could be granted a begging license. Ambroise Paré (1510-1590), one of the fathers of surgery, related the tale of a beggar caught in in 1520 trying to trick Paré’s brother Jehan into believing he was a leper.

by Anonymousreply 56January 14, 2018 8:40 PM

Carla Bruni once gave a wonderful quote to the press, something like “makeup only looks good on girls under 16 & women over 60. Grown women don’t need to wear it.”

by Anonymousreply 57January 15, 2018 12:32 PM

Carla Bruno is a hypocrite r57. She has always worn makeup and in the last ten years has had so much poor cosmetic surgery she’s venturing into Wildenstein territory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 15, 2018 1:59 PM

She’s so stretched and pinned back her eyebrows are in the middle of her scalp

by Anonymousreply 59January 15, 2018 2:30 PM

I just noticed it autocorrected to Bruno instead of Bruni. Apt in a way because Bruno Mars is starting to resemble an elderlez.

by Anonymousreply 60January 15, 2018 2:37 PM

I’m with r12. Some women are transformed by makeup. I’m not one of them. Maybe if I had a professional makeover and it made me GORGEOUS, I’d do more makeup. The face I present to the world is me.

I wear mascara and lip color, that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 61January 15, 2018 2:38 PM

Women dont need to wear make up any more than men do. It is just a convenient double standard and yet another way to enforce social control and make mega bucks off women.

by Anonymousreply 62January 15, 2018 2:42 PM

What's that you say about makeup looking good on women over 60, Carla?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 15, 2018 2:52 PM

Having seen many many very attractive women in my time when they were totally without makeup I praise Jebus most women choose to adorn their punims with paint.

by Anonymousreply 64January 15, 2018 3:01 PM

Some of my less feminine co-workers say they only wear makeup because it's expected, part of looking "professional".

I feel the same way about ties.

by Anonymousreply 65January 15, 2018 4:03 PM

MOST women will wear foundation/powder since no one on the planet has flawless skin, pretty much everyone has blotches, red spots, acne scars, dark circles under the eyes, etc. When done right, it doesn't even look like you're wearing makeup.

Men have bad skin too, but somehow it's more socially acceptable for men to have skin flaws, women are expected to have baby skin well into old age.

Only the brave women are willing to apply eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, etc. And sometimes it looks good, but most of the time it can be overkill. Most of my clients stick to foundation and are afraid to try other makeup products.

From my understanding, in the United States at least, cosmetics were forbiddien for religious reasons (something to do with the story of Jezebel I think) and cosmetics, along with other items, like high heels, were associated with prostitutes.

When movies became popular in the 1920s, actors had to wear makeup to exaggerate their features because the stage lights were so bright, if they didn't wear makeup they would be washed out on screen.

Young impressionable audiences saw these painted faces and wanted to imitate them, and thus the popularity of makeup was born and hasn't gone away since. Max Factor invented the term "make up" and he invented false eyelashes too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 15, 2018 4:57 PM

Isn't Carla Bruni the one Mick Jagger was shtupping while married to Jerry Hall? Jerry looks good, Carla looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 67January 15, 2018 6:39 PM

Has anyone ever noticed women with excessive plastic surgery have a really odd texture to their skin? Look at Carla above, then look at Wildenstein, Priscilla Presley and Joan Van Ark. All have an odd pebbly looking texture to their skin. What causes that??

by Anonymousreply 68January 15, 2018 6:42 PM

I think that granular texture is what happens to fillers over time. I've noticed it, too. It could also be Botox. Melania has it. So does the Drumpf.

by Anonymousreply 69January 15, 2018 6:48 PM

[quote] Speaking as a woman, let me point out that a woman often inherits a relationship with maquillage from a mother or sister-figure. The practice is cultural and specific to the individual and her upbringing, usually.

Excellent point.

My mother is a typical weak, basic bitch who *always* wears full makeup (foundation, blush, eyeshadow, mascara, etc) not only out in public but also around the home. She literally puts on her full face of makeup before even making breakfast, wtf!

In fact, she had to go for a minor eye procedure last year, and was told to *not* wear any eye makeup. So what did she do? She applied her usual full fucking makeup! For eye surgery! At 7:30 in the fucking morning!

She told me later that she was "humiliated" when they told her to go to the bathroom and wash that shit off. I told her she deserved to be humiliated!

Naturally, she *haaates* that I am strong and confident enough to go without makeup in my daily life.

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2018 8:55 PM

Damn, R70. My mother knew a woman who would get up before her husband ever woke up and apply full make up and would wait til he went to sleep before she would wash it off again. The guy never saw her without a full face on.

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2018 9:01 PM

[quote]Makeup is a woman's way to trick men into fucking them.

OMG....do they KNOW??

Someone has to TELL THEM (!!)

by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2018 9:11 PM

[quote]R66 Only the brave women are willing to apply eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, etc. And sometimes it looks good, but most of the time it can be overkill. Most of my clients stick to foundation and are afraid to try other makeup products.

Poo Shoes, most women wear eyeliner and eyeshadow. Why do you just make shit up?

by Anonymousreply 73January 17, 2018 9:13 PM

[quote]When movies became popular in the 1920s, actors had to wear makeup to exaggerate their features because the stage lights were so bright, if they didn't wear makeup they would be washed out on screen.

On a side note: I read somewhere that in the early days of film, it was dificult to photograph performers who had light colored eyes. I wonder if that's true.

I think mary Pickford had blue eyes, so they must have solved the problem pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2018 9:18 PM

The man in R41 was sexier before he shaved.

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2018 9:35 PM

I feel bad for them because it does seem like a societal requirement. I've worked in offices where the women were expected to wear makeup and (I believe, illegally) penalised for not wearing heels and makeup.

It's all very well to say women don't need it, but then they are criticised for how they look without it.

by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2018 9:39 PM

No one wants to see flannel-wearing bulldykes in the office, R76.

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2018 10:48 PM

Speak for yourself r77. We have a few butch lezzies at our place and they are an absolute joy. Funny as fuck and just get on with the job.

by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2018 10:51 PM

R73 I'm not poo shoes, I don't even know who the hell that is.

I don't know where you live, but where I come from most women keep their makeup pretty natural. The reason most women seek out a makeup artist is because they're afraid to do anything dramatic and would rather have a professional do it for them.

Why don't you get out of your basement and try talking to a few real women every once in a while?

Oh, and R70 types like a bitter 14 year old girl who hates her mother. I really hope you're not an adult.

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2018 11:11 PM

Former Makeup Artist:

What do you think are the biggest makeup faux pas you see when you’re walking down the street?

by Anonymousreply 80January 18, 2018 10:02 PM

R80

The biggest faux pas I see is too much bronzer and contouring.

Contouring was meant to only be used on photo shoots and movie sets where the bright lights washed about features. Also, cameras are known too widen features (i'm also a photographer) and contouring is meant to slim down the face.

Contouring was NEVER meant to be worn for daily use, it looks ridiculous in person and worst of all, most people do it wrong. I blame the Kardashians for the contouring craze.

Also, heavy eyeliner and dark eyeshadow. It rarely looks good, especially on older women. I believe that the more natural your makeup looks, the better, although plenty of makeup "artists" disagree with me.

by Anonymousreply 81January 18, 2018 10:47 PM

*Washed out not washed about

*Known to widen not known too widen

by Anonymousreply 82January 18, 2018 10:49 PM

Don't get me started about highlighting and those damn ombre eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 83January 19, 2018 4:38 AM

Thanks, Former r82 and Current r83. You’re so right that the look du jour suits no one.

How would you make-up the lipsticks & chapsticks among us, aiming for a fresh natural face that flatters?

by Anonymousreply 84January 19, 2018 6:14 PM

R84

I'm assuming you're a woman looking for makeup tips. If you don't like wearing a lot of heavy, cakey makeup then I highly recommend the Amazonian Clay Foundation made by the brand Tarte. It gives great coverage yet doesn't feel heavy. They also make a great concealer.

I also really like the sheer loose powders by Neutrogena. I use blush by Physicians Formula.

If you're going to do eye makeup on yourself, I think a neutral color that matches your skin tone looks best, so it looks like you're not wearing eyeshadow. A smudge of dark brown or purple eyeliner on both upper and lower lids, and of course mascara.

For lips, i'd go with a lip balm by Burts Bees.

Usually if i'm doing a natural look on someone else, i'll use natural-looking false eyelashes to glam things up, but most women don't like applying false lashes so mascara works just fine.

by Anonymousreply 85January 20, 2018 1:39 AM

r84 - Tarte also makes a good tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, which eliminates 2 steps. I forgo the eyeshadow and smudge a brown liner in the lashline and put a good thickening mascara (I'm loving L'Oreal's Lash Paradise right now). The tinted balm by Burt's Bees is nice, but whenever I put Neutrogena's Revitalizing Lip Balm, people fall in love with it. Spray a little hairspray or hair gel on a mascara spoolie and groom your brows.

I used to use tinted moisturizer on myself, but I use Colorescience's Sunforgettable powder (either loose or pressed). It's more expensive, but the sun protection is better because it's physical, and I travel a lot, so it's one less liquid/gel thing that I have to worry about. It has great coverage, and is waterproof (as long as you don't touch it, it doesn't move). I run and surf a lot and use it all the time. If you get the pressed, it's a lot faster application than using any liquid and you don't have to wait for it to dry. Use a big flat dense kabuki brush to apply it in swirling motions. Once you find your color, you can google the color and get it cheaper if you google it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 20, 2018 6:07 PM

I just don’t see men wearing make up catching on. Queens in big cities might do it but I don’t see it happening mainstream. Men are too lazy for one thing.

by Anonymousreply 87January 20, 2018 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!