Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Joan Jett Overrated in her prime?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2019 9:44 PM

Overrated? No. More like not rated at all.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2018 9:13 AM

And I'm a fan^^^

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2018 9:14 AM

Even at her peak, Joan Jett was never really that big a star. She had one big hit, and maybe two or three more minor hits afterwards. She certainly was never in the same league as Benatar.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2018 9:40 AM

Though I like both Jett and Benatar, I find JJ to be very much more entertaining. The only thing that has maybe kept her from being a bigger star than PB, as I see it, is the fact that most of her hits are covers. If it weren't for that, she would be the bigger star, as she's certainly the more entertaining one, imho.

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2018 1:28 AM

Who??????

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2018 1:29 AM

Joan Jett was one of the first bisexual women I heard in the entertainment industry who was completely. Also the movie The Runaways with Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart is actually really good, and the only movie I liked that both girls ever done.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2018 1:35 AM

It's ironic that Joan and Pat get compared to each-other so often, considering the fact that Pat infamously decided to become a professional singer after seeing Liza M. in concert and leaving unimpressed, thinking she could do better than that, while Joan decided she wanted to be an entertainer after seeing Liza in CABARET as a young girl. So, Liza is the common link between these two- but while Joan was inspired to kind of model herself after Liza in admiration, Pat was inspired to out-do Liza. The former is way sweeter. But, at the core, we have Liza to thank for them both!

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2018 1:36 AM

Joan's range was fairly limited, but what she did, she did well. I think Pat is the better singer, but Joan was a more authentic rock chick.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2018 1:51 AM

They were both fabulous, but neither had a very long career. They came and went rather quickly. I'd say Pat had a similar length of fame like Gaga, and Joan like Keisha. I'm not making comparisons to actual talent, just similar time frames from what I remember.

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2018 1:51 AM

Yes because her biggest hits like I Love Rock 'n' Roll, Do You Wanna Touch Me, Crimson and Clover, etc, were all covers.

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2018 1:54 AM

r9- That's a good way to describe them. However, they both still have careers though, and Joan is arguably the busiest woman in rock.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2018 1:55 AM

She was pretty much gone after crimson and clover, correct? Damn, I forgot that song, it was lovely ;)

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2018 1:56 AM

Each I know there not gone, definitely not forgotten, but the height of their fame was rather brisk. The 70s 80s were a wonderful time in so many ways, music was a very big part of our lives. It just made things wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2018 1:59 AM

Here's what I don't understand: so JJ's biggest hits were covers, but why do people always feel the need to point that out? I mean, even I do, but it's not really fair if you think about it...

Consider all the girl-singers of the big band era and early pop- most of their hits were standards sang by other girl singers too. Identical songs, just different singers singing them. That was very common in the 1940s and 50s, and no-one seems to think lesser of say, Dinah Shore for singing a Julie London tune or vice-versa. So, why the big deal when people in Rock and Pop cover each-other's songs? Why do we look down our noses at them, and not people like Barbra Streisand when she does the same?!

I do agree that the more original hits a musician has, the better, but why the double-standard? I think people are kinda harsh about this.

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2018 2:03 AM

r12, No... This was a[n] (original), and it was over 10 years after Crimson and Clover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2018 2:16 AM

I've met them both and Joan is pure rock and roll. Both very nice and humble as well.

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2018 2:36 AM

Not this EXTREMELY TIRED subject again, Joan, an authentic rocker chick versus wanna-be-Broadway star Pat Bent Guitar. zzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2018 2:39 AM

Benatar had it over Jett all the way. Just imagine what notes Jett couldn't hit if she tried to do a Pat Benatar song.

by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2018 5:33 AM

[quote]Benatar had it over Jett all the way. Just imagine what notes Jett couldn't hit if she tried to do a Pat Benatar song.

What's the point of this argument? There is none. These two women are two very different types of singers. Your statement proves you know nothing about music. Pat is a POP singer with a powerful voice who actually had aspirations to be a Broadway star, Joan is a ROCK singer, who was originally in a 1970s all girl rock band version of a boy band, The Runaways, which was a band created by Kim Fowley. The Runaways were more about their image than technical ability.

Lots of rock singers do not have technically good or powerful voices, they are more song stylists, most have unique voices, but you'd actually need to know a bit about music to understand that. I can name many rock singers who were incredibly famous but never had what would be deemed 'great', let alone, powerful voices. Let's see, to name a few, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart, Joe Cocker, Fred Schneider and Madonna, though I don't consider her rock, she's a pop singer. From the younger bunch, Taylor Swift, Lana Del Ray, Britney Spears, Rhianna and way too many others who technically cannot sing to save their lives.

by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2018 10:16 AM

Joan said a couple years back that she doesn't like the hair-do she had during the video at r15. But, I don't see why. It was one of her better styles. She should give it a try again. I hate when stars hate on stuff about themselves that the rest of us liked; it was a good look!!

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2018 2:38 AM

If anything, she's underrated.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2019 2:09 AM

Not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2019 2:13 AM

I love both. Glad we have both. That was a period where women were expected to be “cute little girl” singers, but not serious competition for the guys.

JJ kicked ass. PB was the first women who sold out concerts on the same scale as men. Both are pivotal rock music figures. They are in competition with each other. They’re LIONS.

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2019 2:14 AM

So happy not be dragged into this ridiculous thread.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2019 2:28 AM

R24. I love Chrissie. First interview I saw with her, she had a japanese print shirt, and was asked what it said . She deadpanned “Where in the f**k is Akron?”

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2019 2:41 AM

Joan wears a wig.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2019 3:07 AM

I Love Rock n Roll was #1 for 7 weeks, it’s hard to top something like that.

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2019 3:48 AM

Wish she'd make a new record.

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2019 3:33 AM

All her songs sound the same.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2019 3:34 AM

R29 Troll.

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2019 3:36 AM

In her prime, Joan was sexy as hell. I mean...watch the video for "The French Song"...

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2019 3:52 AM

Tell us the wig story.

by Anonymousreply 32April 15, 2019 3:53 AM

[quote] Joan Jett was one of the first bisexual women I heard in the entertainment industry who was completely.

However the public didn't know that during her heyday. Joan had some fun with this fact. Note how she changes the lyrics at 1:15. I always loved that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2019 4:04 AM

I’m a sucker for any song that references photographs and retrospect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2019 4:22 AM

Pat Benatar and Joan Jett were completely different, IMO. Not sure why there were so many comparisons, maybe because they were popular at the same time.

I would say Pat Benatar had more vocal range and vocal talent. I really like JJ in this video for "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2019 4:36 AM

R35 Great hair in that video.

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2019 9:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!