Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

LA restaurant recommendations

I'll be there for a couple nights later this month ... visiting a friend who isn't plugged into the food scene, he likes eating out but is the type who finds three spots he likes in his neighborhood and then just keeps going back to them over and over (and I think we ate at all three places the last time I visited him).

I like everything, hoping to avoid obscene prices or extra-long waits. Suggestions welcome!

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2018 12:45 AM

In n Out Burger. They got hot chocolate now!

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2018 10:47 PM

L.A. is big. You need to mention what area you will be in.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2018 10:48 PM

Yeah, give us your general vicinity. We have tons of suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2018 10:52 PM

Taco trucks are your best bet.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2018 10:53 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned ... he lives in Los Feliz, just down the hill from the Observatory.

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2018 10:59 PM

Here are 13 of the best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2018 11:02 PM

Little Doms, Alcove are two good places I remember

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2018 11:06 PM

And Home

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2018 11:07 PM

For Thai, Night+Song Market, which is in nearby Silver Lake.

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2018 11:13 PM

Oops, Night+Market Song, that's the SL location.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2018 11:15 PM

OP, a veggie restaurant is always a must when you come to LA.

Try any of the hole in the wall veggie restaurants or any of the gourmet food trucks (Korean Tacos!!!).

Btw, has anyone noticed there's a wave of Cajun food Restaurants popping up all over California? What's that about?

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2018 11:19 PM

If you like Ramen, there are plenty of Ramen restaurants in LA these days. Just throw a rock in any direction and you'll likely hit one.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2018 11:22 PM

Try "La Paella" a Spanish food restaurant. Their Wine Pears (Pera Al Vino) are delicious and so is their Paella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2018 11:27 PM

Cliff's Edge on Sunset in Silverlake and Paley on Sunset in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2018 11:40 PM

OP. if you want to eat like a local, best food at the best price in Hollywood without all the pretense:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2018 11:41 PM

As much as I love Los Feliz, it is not my favorite dining spot. If you are adventurous, the Carousel Restaurant located right over the river in Glendale is fantastic and has the best Armenian cuisine anywhere. Elenas also in Glendale has the most delicious Greek food that I have ever tasted. Finally, I love Phoenicia (also in Glendale) if one has a craving for Lebanese food. They serve the absolute best hommos (their spelling) on earth and almost everything else that I have tried is to die for good. The Famous has some of the most interesting and exciting cocktails that you will find anywhere - and great snacks to go with. Check out their amazing happy hour. Again, located in Glendale a stones throw from the other 3. Well, that is just Glendale...... We LA guys can give you a run down of every neighborhood in the city and all have amazing food - some of the best on earth. I chose Glendale due to proximity.

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2018 12:06 AM

Also beware of places where people bring their dogs in -- no fun when two annoying coiffed beasts start attacking each other from neighboring tables. Leashes get tangled, plates go flying, etc.

Even better is when the entitled twat humans talk shit to anyone who reminds them pets aren't allowed.

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2018 12:29 AM

This isn’t Chowhound OP.

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2018 12:32 AM

[quote]Alcove

[quote]Home

I think OP was hoping for something memorable, not just a decent meal.

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2018 12:33 AM

R19, by Los Feliz standards, Alcove and Home *are* memorable. As are any simple single-word venues like Toast, Kitchen24, etc.

by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2018 12:39 AM

SUR, of course.

by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2018 12:39 AM

Or at least an interesting ambience.

by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2018 12:41 AM

Again, Los Feliz is not even a top 30 choice for LA hoods when it comes to good eating. Silver Lake and Glendale and your best nearby locations for great food (yet very different venues). West Hollywood has more than I can possibly mention but is a hike really from where you are staying. your friend lives in a gorgeous area however - certainly one of the more beautiful in the city.

by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2018 12:46 AM

If you like Armenian food, then by all means hit up Glendale. You can get some reasonably priced auto detailing work done while you eat, so it's win win.

Silver Lake? Cliff's Edge - I took my dad there for Easter Brunch a few years back, and we were both unhappy with the food there. In fact I think I threw up when we got back.

Little Dom's is our staple, it's fine. Nice rice balls.

Don't care for Home. The fire pits are nice, though.

Alcove - good salads, you order up front. It is crowded with the usual future actors crowd and can be annoying. They do have valet parking. Back to Little Dom's - I think some of the Alcove crowd can't afford LD's, which is a good thing.

There is a nice Thai restaurant by the bottom of the Silver Lake reservoir.

Avoid the dog park there - folks from south of the border bring their kids to play there like it is a regular park. One day, my dog almost took a chunk out of a little kid chasing my dog around.

West Hollywood is an unfortunate place - do you like brunch with loud music? Then go eat there.

Did Clifton's reopen? If so head there.

There are a lot of posh people responding here. I suggest the Jonathan Club downtown for a nice steak dinner. Brunch at the Hotel Bel Air is awfully nice, but I am not sure if it burned down.

by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2018 3:20 AM

R24 here again - forgot to mention a bar/restaurant in Silver Lake , Black Cat? or something like that. Right on Sunset. Pretty good food, but I usually go there and drink Moscow Mules when it's particularly hot.

If you are thrifty, head down Sunset towards Echo Park, and there is a self-serve Indian cafeteria with surprisingly good food.

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2018 3:26 AM

I live in Los Feliz op and I love this Thai restaurant on Hollywood call Sanamluang cafe. So so good. I’ve also been digging this pizza place called Desanos. There’s a really great Indian restaurant called Paru near Normandie and Sunset. Really excellent. Enjoy LA!

by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2018 3:34 AM

OP, if you want some sushi head to Katsu-Ya in Studio City. It's a quick hop on 101 from where you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2018 3:36 AM

Will be in Santa Monica next Weds. Any good Italian restaurants in that area? Tx forhelp

by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2018 4:56 AM

The Dresden Room, especially to see Marty and Elayne.

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2018 5:01 AM

Can’t go wrong with one of these classics

Langer’s downtown at MacArthur Park is the best pastrami in town.

Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles on Pico. One in Hollywood, but I like Pico better.

Gladstone’s Maibu. Touristy, so a little overpriced, but it’s right on the beach and sunsets are beautiful

Too bad the original Clifton Cafetoeria on Broadway isn’t around anymore. Now that DTLA is such a scene, it turned into a hipster club.

by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2018 5:04 AM

SUR, Dahling -

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2018 5:05 AM

Here's looking at you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2018 5:07 AM

Ruen Pair Restaurant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2018 5:10 AM

Republique, WeHo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2018 5:11 AM

Only Jesus can truly nourish your soul, find him now.

by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2018 5:12 AM

For Thai I like Jitlada on sunset. They have really good southern thai dishes and other things as well. Love their spicy crying tiger pork!

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2018 5:21 AM

I'm opening a restaurant for young teenage boys.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2018 5:22 AM

just a few suggestions - Connie & Ted's in WeHo is a bit pricey but really good seafood, a bit sceney but fun. Marix is fun for Taco Tuesday - good margaritas, not the best food but fun and loud and gay. Rosaline is Peruvian - it's excellent but a little loud. And one of my favorites is Pace up in Laurel Canyon, it's intimate, a nice date place if you and your friend are more than just "friends," or if you shit the bed and need to buy him a nice dinner.

by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2018 5:31 AM

C&O trattoria in Venice (the one on the beach). Good reliable Italian. Not super expensive and a fun experience.

by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2018 5:39 AM

Petty Cash on Beverly. Odys and Penelope on La Brea. Jon and Vinnys on Fairfax.

by Anonymousreply 40January 10, 2018 5:49 AM

Rustic Canyon in Santa Monica

Geoffrey's in Malibu for Brunch

Most definitely In 'N Out

Commissary at the Line Hotel in K Town is also great for brunch.

by Anonymousreply 41January 10, 2018 5:58 AM

Thai Patio

Guelagetza

Spago

Bestia

by Anonymousreply 42January 10, 2018 6:05 AM

Mozza is amazing!!! Go to the pizzeria side (it's not a pizzeria) Not too far from Silver Lake. Norah in WEHO is pretty great too.

by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2018 6:10 AM

R28, my favorite Italian places.

High end - Union in Pasadena

Affordable -Jon & Vinny's, Maccheroni Republic in Downtown

Old school - Eastside Market Deli in Chinatown

In Santa Monica? Valentino's

by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2018 6:14 AM

La Poubelle on Franklin. The Coq Au Vin is mind blowing.

Eat dinner, and then catch a show at UCB next door.

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2018 6:23 AM

^^ Italian is not the #1 cuisine you should be looking for, though, in LA (although it has gotten a lot better) when there are other cuisines that are done the best in the country here (Mexican, Korean, Thai, Japanese, Chinese).

Places that out-of-state friends and relatives frequently request after I have taken them there once: In n Out (#1 for my teenage nephews and nieces); Zankou Chicken (Armenian fast food); Guerilla Tacos (delicious).

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2018 6:25 AM

[quote] Italian is not the #1 cuisine you should be looking for

Pfff, What's with people thinking that only Italian food from the East coast is good?

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2018 6:28 AM

OP, if you are up to being messy try the "Boiling Crab." You literally get a Crab in a bag and that's your meal.

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2018 6:30 AM

And I have to say, I had a drink at the rooftop bar of the new Korean Air building, and it was pretty impressive (both the drink and view).

R47, maybe because I eat enough good Italian when I cook and visit mom, I am more critical of the Italian restaurants here 😜. It is certainly not my first option when I dine out.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2018 6:33 AM

LA is known best for Basque/Italian/Mexican/Chinese/Japanese food. Those are the original staples of California Restaurant food.

Now you also have Armenian/Indian/Vegetarian/Cajun food.

by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2018 6:39 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 51January 10, 2018 3:45 PM

Hey all, great recommendations here, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 52January 10, 2018 3:52 PM

OP, check out Food Talk Central. It's a bunch of food geeks. You can search by area and cuisines.

This group is hard core.

by Anonymousreply 53January 10, 2018 3:55 PM

Have you tried Pussy?

I eat there all the time when I'm not working. In dark sunglasses and with gloves on, of course.

And for God's sake make sure it's fresh. They try to slip in la vieille truite marinée occasionally when an item hasn't been moving.

by Anonymousreply 54January 10, 2018 3:58 PM

Go to “Eataly” in the Century City Mall...

by Anonymousreply 55January 10, 2018 4:06 PM

Why yes, go to Eataly and support douches like Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich, predators and tip stealers.

And don't forget mama Lidia, and her enslavement charges.

by Anonymousreply 56January 10, 2018 4:34 PM

Just stick to the taco trucks or the other food trucks lined up outside of MOMA in DTLA.

by Anonymousreply 57January 10, 2018 6:19 PM

Is Yucca still on Hillhurst?

by Anonymousreply 58January 10, 2018 6:23 PM

Chi Dynasty on Hillhurst.

by Anonymousreply 59January 10, 2018 6:29 PM

Chego (Roy Choi's fast casual restaurant) in Chinatown

Papa Cristos Greek on Pico. Massive, good food, fun bellydancer - go Thursday

Little Ethiopia

Park's Finest - Filipino BBQ

by Anonymousreply 60January 10, 2018 7:02 PM

The Fix on Hyperion had the best burger ever (wild boar)

by Anonymousreply 61January 10, 2018 7:03 PM

Grand Central Market has a lot of good places worth checking out if you're in downtown.

I would avoid eating at Clifton's Cafeteria unless you're going for the ambiance or the historical value. In which case, just get a drink. The food sucks.

Cole's and Philippe's are two of the oldest restaurants in LA, and both lay claim to inventing the French Dip sandwich. Worth checking out if you're into French Dips.

by Anonymousreply 62January 10, 2018 8:41 PM

El Compadre for their flaming margaritas.

by Anonymousreply 63January 10, 2018 8:45 PM

[quote] I'm opening a restaurant for young teenage boys.

[quote] —Kevin Spacey

Kevin Spacey is buying up all of the In n Outs??!

by Anonymousreply 64January 10, 2018 8:49 PM

A taco guide to the city.

Although to be fair, some of the best tacos I've had are from random trucks. The only bad thing with that is that they are subject to various, unknown hours and difficult to keep track of if they are still around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 10, 2018 8:52 PM

Dune in Atwater Village.......just go!

by Anonymousreply 66January 11, 2018 12:03 AM

Maggiano's at the Grove!

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2018 4:58 AM

I'm addicted to al pastor tacos! Al pastor is like bbq Mexican pork. It's carved off a spit like a gyro and then crisped up on a flat top grill. Then they add onions, cilantro, and spicy salsa! It's so good! If it gets too spicy for you then you take a bite of a radish to cut the spice.

At the northwest corner of La Brea and Venice Boulevard is an awesome taco truck that makes really good al pastor tacos. Zermenos at Santa Monica Boulevard and Gower is good as well as Pinches tacos.

by Anonymousreply 68January 11, 2018 5:11 AM

[quote] I'm opening a restaurant for young teenage boys. - Kevin Spacey

I thought you had already opened one,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2018 7:33 AM

So many bad choices here for good food. A LOT of these places mentioned USED TO BE GREAT.

Not so anymore:

'El Compadre'(!), 'Home', 'Sanamluang', 'Ruen Pair' (although their papaya salad is still amazing), 'Marix Tex Mex' (only for drinks), 'Kitchen 24', 'Cole's'.

Go here:

'Night + Market' is excellent. The best pastrami (and everything on their menu) in town is at 'Brent's' in Reseda, 'Le Petit Four' in WeHo, 'Pizzanista' (downtown), 'Beverly Soon Tofu'.

by Anonymousreply 70January 11, 2018 9:26 AM

Thai Patio and Jitlada are better than Night + Market (Thai food for hipsters); Langer's for the best pastrami.

by Anonymousreply 71January 11, 2018 10:03 AM

Please keep the suggestions coming! I live here but am learning a lot on this thread.

Jonathan Gold loves Jitlada. It’s a bit legendary because of him.

Inn of the Seventh Ray in Topanga Canyon is magical. Gorgeous setting with twinkly lights, very new agey LA, and outstanding food. It is special. It’s pricier.

For less pricey, Malibu Seafood in Malibu. You sit outdoors, across from the ocean, eating fried and steamed seafood. Gorgeous view but casual and inexpensive.

For REALLY cheap, Roast to Go in Grand Central Market. They’ve been around for decades and have my favorite burrito in LA, the spicy chicken. I love them.

And of course Musso and Frank. It’s almost 100 years old, right? Dependable old school steakhouse, pricey but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 72January 11, 2018 11:24 AM

Night + Market is authentic Thai food, not Thai Patio or Jitlada.

by Anonymousreply 73January 11, 2018 11:34 AM

The Old Place is awesome for steak! Make sure you make a reservation. It's a little far but it's worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 11, 2018 2:07 PM

Jitlada is the restaurant that's preferred by my friend who is from Thailand. They tend to order from the last page of the menu.

by Anonymousreply 75January 11, 2018 2:12 PM

OP, best to skip your visit altogether. Everyone knows LA is a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 76January 11, 2018 2:53 PM

Musso and Frank is a food museum people go to to eat food exactly as it was made in the 1940s. Dreadful by current standards. Lots of ugly indigestible brown gravies. Go if you are a fan of noir. Skip if you like food.

by Anonymousreply 77January 11, 2018 6:46 PM

Sushi Gen in Little Tokyo

Dumpling House for Korean dumplings

by Anonymousreply 78January 11, 2018 6:50 PM

As recommended above, ask your question on Food Talk Central LA. These are former chowhound fanatics who moved there when chowhound became a shitshow a couple of years ago. They know EVERYTHING. Also check Eater LA and look for neighborhoods. The best restaurants near Los Feliz are downtown, but since I live in Santa Monica and almost never go downtown, I'm not up to speed these days. As far as Santa Monica Italian, there is a quite new restaurant on Santa Moniica Blvd. and 5th Street called Orto, which has gotten very good reviews. I don't know their hours. Most of the suggestions you have received above are very dated, so check Food Talk Central. for the best current info. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 79January 11, 2018 9:44 PM

Go to Here's Looking At You in Koreatown and get this dessert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 11, 2018 9:51 PM

r76 = Trump

by Anonymousreply 81January 11, 2018 9:54 PM

Los Feliz/Silverlake sucks for food in general but there are some good choices and some just a bit away.

In Silverlake El Cochinito on Sunset Cuban food really good. Or go to Glendale to a place called La Cubana.

On Fletcher in Silverlake there is an Indian restaurant called Curry King don't let the name fool you, it's a little place in an odd spot but the food is good.

For a neat old school spot to have a drink try Taix on Sunset. They also have a nice soup (made in house) and salad lunch and their bread is good.

If you want some Italian try Il Capriccio on N. Vermont Ave Los Feliz

Down Hollywood Blvd just a bit there is Thai Town in a little mini mall area near the back left is a place called Bangkok street food really good. Further down but on Sunset and Bronson is a place called Hoy Ka I recommend the Hoy Ka noodles soup version and the Sneaky Pork.

Want a good burger? On Sunset East of Vermont there is an Umami Burger but my favorite is a little place on Hyperion called The Fix Burger. They have bison, wild bore and grass fed beef. Excellent burgers.

Try Cafe Gratitude on Larchmont if you want veggie/vegan.

Try Inti Peruvian on Melrose just West of Vine for Peruvian.

No good Japanese I'm afraid but if you get a craving for bakery McCall's Meats has a bakery section because the owner and head butcher's wife is a pastry chef if you go in see if she has made some Kouin Amman (Queen Amman) please do try it. Also on Glendale in Atwater is Proof bakery also has some great stuff.

If you find you just want a nice American dinner go to Bon Vivant also in Atwater. The lamb is great, 8oz steak is great and the Cornish hen. Good dessert bakery as well.

None of this is fine dining but you will leave with happy taste buds.

by Anonymousreply 82January 11, 2018 10:23 PM

R82, I like all of your suggestions except for Il Capriccio. Been there twice - under-seasoned. Could have just been what I ordered, who knows..

by Anonymousreply 83January 11, 2018 10:25 PM

Musso and Frank menu

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 11, 2018 10:30 PM

I have never been to Taix. Who can vouch for it?

by Anonymousreply 85January 11, 2018 10:40 PM

I usually go for lunch and get the chicken sesame salad and soup of the day. I love their soups, sometimes they get too happy with the salt. Love their bread. Nice laid back ambiance, and it's a very dark bar inside with the standard big screen tv for sports. Some people like their happy hour. Can't remember what was on the HH menu though.

by Anonymousreply 86January 11, 2018 10:45 PM

OMG someone mentioned Inti Peruvian, El Cochinito, The Fix Burger. Yummy food there.

With more Cubans migrating West you have more Cuban Restaurants in the West Coast. I love Arroz con pollo which is somewhat similar to Mexican Pipian. mmmmm

by Anonymousreply 87January 11, 2018 11:06 PM

Love these suggestions. Especially for Mexican food and Thai. I will be fortunate to be staying near LA for two months, in Altadena. Any recommendations for the best pizza? I don't mind driving.

by Anonymousreply 88January 11, 2018 11:43 PM

Jon and Vinny's on Fairfax has excellent pizza.

Since you're near the San Gabriel Valley, R88, I will add my sentimental favorite pizza, Petrillo's in San Gabriel, which is no frills, old school Italian-American, but they get pizza right. Order thin crust, extra sauce.

by Anonymousreply 89January 12, 2018 12:18 AM

R88 Pizzanista downtown.

by Anonymousreply 90January 12, 2018 8:29 AM

R88, since you are close to Pasadena, Luggage Room Pizzeria off of the Del Mar Goldline Station is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 91January 12, 2018 2:32 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 92January 13, 2018 7:30 AM

yumyum

by Anonymousreply 93January 14, 2018 2:06 AM

Bestia downtown.

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2018 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!