Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tonya Harding STORMS OUT Of Interview

See I knew it wouldn't be long before her true colors showed

All because Piers Morgan asked if she thought Nancy Kerrigan was a victim

by Anonymousreply 248January 20, 2018 2:20 PM

staged as fuck desperate attempt for some money

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2018 8:02 PM

She has always been a loon and a liar.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2018 8:03 PM

But she was abused!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2018 8:04 PM

My Mother always said Tonya "Was not graceful on the ice"

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2018 8:05 PM

Your mother was a bitch whore liar, R4!

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2018 8:07 PM

No, but she was extremely athletic.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2018 8:07 PM

[quote]No, but she was extremely athletic.

If you consider falling all over the place athleticism!

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2018 8:09 PM

I love you R5.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2018 8:15 PM

You can tell she's already signing contracts to be on the next season off Dancing With The Stars, Dr. Phil, Cupcake Wars, etc...

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2018 8:16 PM

Anyone who storms out of a Piers Morgan interview is a friend of mine.

Now if she'd hit HIM on the leg with an iron bar she'd be Dame Tonya Harding and get an invite to Harry & Meghan's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2018 8:28 PM

Tonya is so fucking classy.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2018 9:07 PM

I'm sure she is sick to death of people always wanting to know if she thought Nancy was a victim. Tonya had her faults but Nancy was a crying sniveling spoiled rotten baby. What the hell possible difference would it make how Tanya saw her and I am sure she wants to just move on. Nancy got it all and she ended up with nothing. she's human and is allowed to get angry and leave.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2018 9:13 PM

[quote]Tonya had her faults but Nancy was a crying sniveling spoiled rotten baby.

You're an insane person. Her knee was bashed in by a nightstick.

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2018 9:17 PM

sorry I was referring to her "why me? why me?" sniveling

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2018 9:19 PM

Incorrect, R14. She never said, "Why Me?"

Get it right.

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2018 10:32 PM

And we're giving Oscar nominations to this?

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2018 10:38 PM

R14 really??? She’s on her way to the Olympics and someone randomly bashes her leg with a bat. I think her reaction was totally appropriate and not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2018 10:42 PM

Sorry I will never get why people expected Nancy to act differently. I mean would any of us reacted better?

by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2018 10:43 PM

r13 her knee wasn’t bashed in. She was able to perform the next day.

by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2018 10:47 PM

R19 well she didn’t really know it at the time her knee was being bashed. I would love to see your reaction to something like that.

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2018 10:50 PM

[quote][R13] her knee wasn’t bashed in. She was able to perform the next day.

Uh, no she wasn't, Tonya. But nice try.

by Anonymousreply 21January 9, 2018 10:58 PM

Please, if any of these cunts even witnessed something like this happen they'd act traumatized for life.

by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2018 10:59 PM

I wish she would get in the boxing ring with Piers, wooooo boy, would he be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2018 11:02 PM

I, Tonya 'took a knee' and I'm now getting more attention than those football players combined.

by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2018 11:05 PM

Go to hell dumb cunt Tonya R5

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2018 8:22 PM

R25 we all know what your mother is doing in hell...

by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2018 8:26 PM

Hi Tonya R26 you are still trash.

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2018 11:32 PM

She got tired of everybody making it all about Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2018 11:36 PM

Why? WHY???

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2018 11:37 PM

Well, she’s certainly too butch to FLOUNCE out....

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2018 12:25 AM

Are people still storming out of interviews? Just asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2018 12:25 AM

[quote] Well, she’s certainly too butch to FLOUNCE out....

I can't say the same about a lot of male skaters. At least none of them tried to pull anything like this.

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2018 12:26 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2018 12:27 AM

R32 just give me a chance!

by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2018 12:27 AM

White Trash.

by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2018 12:30 AM

I may be trash but you are wasting your pathetic life talking about me which is worst than being trash!

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2018 12:31 AM

Tonya, you have not aged well at all.

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2018 12:40 AM

The gay male skating fan gurrls in here are flat out Misogynists. With your dismissive jokes about child abuse & domestic violence, even if you were a famous cheerleader & #ImStillWithHer - you are flatout fucking woman haters. Who dismisses battered women & children like this? Just because maybe YOU felt like a PRINCESS and decided to defend “The really Pretty ONE!’ Or maybe your cousin Nelly was Kerrigan’s Physical Therapist. Point is She still made the Olympics and won a medal - only 30 days later. She sure wasnt taking a Gold so get over your prick self OP.

Pierce Morgan is a right wing Dick, liberal hater, ignorant fan of neo facism. Evidently the OP is too stupid to know it was a GREAT THING Harding did by walking out.

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2018 2:44 AM

Someone's a misogynist for hating on and dismissing a woman that was brutally attacked!

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2018 2:47 AM

[quote]Only 30 days later.

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2018 2:52 AM

Can't wait to bash Metcalf's knee with my Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2018 2:54 AM

[quote] Evidently the OP is too stupid to know it was a GREAT THING Harding did by walking out.

Tonya Harding once beat up her boyfriend and banged him on the head with a hubcap.

But punching her boyfriend in the face and launching a hubcap at his head in February landed her a three-day sentence in the Clark County jail Thursday after a judge decided she should be treated like anybody else convicted in a domestic violence case.

by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2018 2:56 AM

But that wasn't her fault, R42. She was a victim of violence!

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2018 3:02 AM

Lots of Trolls in here. Maybe hackers inflaming the situation, gays vs gays would be a Russian thing.

by Anonymousreply 44January 11, 2018 3:31 AM

If you all understand that [italic]I[/italic] am the victim always and that anyone who doesn’t see it that way is a misogynist hater then we will have no problems. If not, I will punch you in the face.

by Anonymousreply 45January 11, 2018 3:37 AM

[quote]If not, I will punch you in the face.

With a tire wrench or hubcap?

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2018 3:39 AM

She's a clear Borderline. Was obvious back when she was on Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2018 3:52 AM

You guys talking about me??

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2018 3:58 AM

I have this weird feeling R36 really is Tonya.

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2018 4:05 AM

Tonya Harding is a compulsive liar, she can't help herself as every time she opens her mouth and other lie pops out.

But because the abuse she suffered as a child, right through t o her teem years and her first marriage, it's understandable that she needs to lie

by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2018 4:08 AM

She still won in the sense that the movie is called [italic]I, Tonya[/italic], not [italic]Her, Nancy[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2018 4:09 AM

[quote]I have this weird feeling [R36] really is Tonya.

You think Tonya knows the word 'misogynist'? I guess she could, but there's like a 50/50 chance.

by Anonymousreply 52January 11, 2018 4:15 AM

She also won in that she was portrayed in the movie by someone who looks like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 11, 2018 4:16 AM

What are you talking about R53? That was what the movie got right. The only thing it got wrong is that Sebastian is too good looking to be Jeff!

by Anonymousreply 54January 11, 2018 4:19 AM

R52 That isn't R36. I'm referring to the poster who wrote "maybe I'm trash, but you all are worst than trash."

WorsT.

by Anonymousreply 55January 11, 2018 9:18 AM

I wish she would have beat down Piers, she would be a national hero.

by Anonymousreply 56January 11, 2018 9:42 AM

[quote]And we're giving Oscar nominations to this? —Laurie Metcalf

Says the star of [italic]Roseanne[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 57January 11, 2018 9:42 AM

R56 Correct. I couldn’t imagine being a 6 year old kid with a divorced mother that found a reason to Hit you so hard you would fall down every single day of yr life. I think her only refuge was lying - as in trying to live another day. Who wouldnt expect that child to grow up to be a hot mess? Normally kids experiencing that type of life would be removed from th violence but because she was such a good skater it was overlooked. I actually do know kids that had a similar exposure to such abuse and they WERE removed from that environment. Terrible story for Harding.

by Anonymousreply 58January 11, 2018 2:04 PM

She's pushing 50 and has been irrelevant for decades, Who the fuck cares about her these days? Your story is tired, bitch. Stop trying to milk it for publicity.

by Anonymousreply 59January 11, 2018 2:32 PM

Tonya may not have known everything that was going to happen with Nancy Kerrigan, but she knew more than she admitted. However, she's been punished enough. She's paid her dues and lost the only career she knew. I followed Tonya before the "incident." I always admired her skating. She was good, sometimes great. I have always been on Team Tonya, before and after. I just like her. She also looks better than she has in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 60January 11, 2018 2:42 PM

[quote]Just because maybe YOU felt like a PRINCESS and decided to defend “The really Pretty ONE!’

Which one would that be?

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2018 9:16 PM

Kerrigan was injured enough that she couldn't skate at Nationals, so Harding won. Kerrigan was a given a medical bye to the Olympics about six weeks later. She did skate well there and would have won gold if Oksana Baiul hadn't thrown in an extra triple, which upped her technical components enough that she edged out Kerrigan in a very tight contest--I think it still might be the closest finish in Olympic figure skating. Kerrigan had doubled one triple--who knows what might have happened with that jump if she hadn't been whacked in the knee earlier.

Nancy Kerrigan had a whiny voice and an uncharming personality--doesn't mean that she wasn't the victim.

And Tonya always came off as a liar--inconsistent stories, lots of her own whining. But the crying over her gold skate at the Olympics was a classic moment.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2018 9:56 PM

What did she say R62 that her shoe lace broke or something?

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2018 11:27 PM

lol these ice skating threads are very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2018 12:03 AM

R59 I may be "irrelevant" to you but I have a blockboster movie out soon about my life with a "A" list movie star playing me, and you do not you jealous loser!!!

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2018 12:10 AM

I think you mean "looser", Tonya H. Play the part correctly or GTFO.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2018 12:59 AM

By the way, Tonya, a belated thank you!

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2018 1:33 AM

R62 Kerrigan had the more difficult technical program, even with her doubled jump and Oksana's added triple. Kerrigan did a triple-triple and Oksana didn't.

The scores reflected that. Nancy edged Oksana in the technical mark... however, what won it for Oksana was her artistic mark. That's obviously subjective but additionally, Oksana was World Champion and skated with some passion. Kerrigan didn't. Kerrigan skated like it was a job.

People also forget that Oksana took a blade to her shin (and I believe took a hit to the ribs) right before the competition. She probably got some sympathy votes on technical for that.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2018 3:05 AM

R63, Yeah, I think it was the lace. (looks up) Yeah, the lace broke during warm-up. Tied it, went out, popped a jump and then went to the referee in tears for a reskate. She was in 10th place, so not a medal hope at that point, but she drummed up the drama--the skater who was supposed to following her then had to skate early.

I've always suspected that the judges gave it to Baiul just because they were sick of the Nancy/Tonya drama. Ha! Oksana turned out to be such a mess. Not quite as messy as Tonya, but up there.

Then Nancy had an affair with her married manager.

by Anonymousreply 69January 15, 2018 9:12 AM

Tonya also had a dif kind of ice skate - rather older perhaps less expensive. She went for the eye lacing skate, not the hook lacing style. Buy using that older style a broken lace became a big deal and very very time consuming. I always wondered if she had chosen that shoe Because she was a “jumper” and felt that it was a more secure means of support as an athlete.

by Anonymousreply 70January 15, 2018 4:54 PM

What was um... suspicious about the whole lace thing is that there is literally not a single skater that would go to a competition and not have extra laces. Even Tonya's previous coach, Dody, attested to the fact that she thought it was odd because they never didn't have extra laces on hand. But of course at the Olympics on that night... Tonya magically didn't have the extra laces she always packed.

by Anonymousreply 71January 15, 2018 7:32 PM

I also never understood why they forced Josee to skate earlier than expected. They should have just waited the time out. Also, how much earlier did Josee have to skate 3 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 72January 15, 2018 7:33 PM

Tonya was a poor girl with an abusive mother and an abusive husband. I don't blame her for not wanting to carry on about the momentary victimization of an upper-middle class girl with a pleasant life, especially not two and a half decades after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 73January 15, 2018 9:18 PM

Nobody is forcing her to R73. But then.. uh... just what does she think anyone wants to talk to her for? She's done nothing remarkable otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 74January 15, 2018 9:20 PM

Trash has no place on the ice...

by Anonymousreply 75January 15, 2018 9:46 PM

R73, Nancy Kerrigan was far from upper-middle class. She had a legally blind mother and a blue-collar father (a welder) who worked two to three jobs so she could skate. He also drove the Zamboni at her rink in exchange for her lessons.

That Tonya's never actually apologized to Nancy Kerrigan says a lot about Tonya's lack of remorse. She's just unhappy that she got caught. Unfortunately, the victims of abuse don't always turn into great people.

by Anonymousreply 76January 15, 2018 9:51 PM

R71 there was nothing “suspicious” she just didnt pack it. Perhaps a 100th fight with Jeff - the attack had occurred he was under investigation, she was suing to USFSA to skate. Do you think she was maybe distracted? After all she only allowed him back in her life to present the image that was suggest to her by one of the US judges - “you need a supportive happy family.” I’ll say! What she had was the opposite of a supportive loving partner - she had utter fucking chaos in her life when she needed it the least.

by Anonymousreply 77January 15, 2018 9:59 PM

R77 uh... it was totally suspicious. And she wasn't with Jeff when she went to the Olympics AND that is something that Dianne as her coach should have checked and wouldn't have been too distracted to check. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 78January 15, 2018 10:01 PM

[quote] After all she only allowed him back in her life to present the image that was suggest to her by one of the US judges - “you need a supportive happy family.” I’ll say!

Yeah, that's the story that Tonya tells... yet funny enough she can't name who supposedly told her that.

by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2018 10:02 PM

R76 well you almost got it. Maybe if you wrote this “Unfortunately, the victims of abuse dont always turn into great people and I need to learn compassion because I, myself, can certainly learn to be more forgiving.”

R78 Jeff didnt go with her, but there were entangled before she left with legal issues. That neither one of them checked doesnt indicate conspiracy. I travel for a living and usually keep extra imp items. Once in a while i have discovered I had forgotten to replace. Its not a conspiracy you fool.

by Anonymousreply 80January 15, 2018 10:08 PM

[quote] I travel for a living and usually keep extra imp items. Once in a while i have discovered I had forgotten to replace. Its not a conspiracy you fool.

Again, nice try. I was a competitive athlete who traveled constantly. You don't forget your equipment. Ever. But again, try harder. Wait, nevermind, don't. We get it. Tonya is never at fault for anything.... she just had the poor misfortune of constantly having something go wrong. Missing laces. Blades mounted improperly. Dresses popping off. All randomly only happening when she's skated poorly!

Poor Tonya!

by Anonymousreply 81January 15, 2018 10:11 PM

Tonya not having extra laces does raise an eyebrow only because it wasn't the first time it had happened. There's no way it happens to you once and you don't make it a point to be prepared the next time.

by Anonymousreply 82January 15, 2018 10:13 PM

Didn't this all happen decades ago?

Talk about milking a few seconds of drama on an ice rink in some depressingly boring Norwegian ghost town for all its worth.

by Anonymousreply 83January 15, 2018 10:31 PM

R73 the only reason she is being interviewed is because of this movie. The only reason they made a movie is because of what she and her entourage did to Nancy. It's rediculous of her to think she shouldn't be asked about it and that journalist should be fined 25k for bringing it up. Without Nancy she would be one of many atheletes who peaked in a non Olympic year. Going to the Golden Globes must have really inflated her ego if she thought she'd get nothing but love from the press.

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2018 11:03 PM

Easy answer, bitch. A simple 'yes' would have been sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 85January 15, 2018 11:06 PM

—GTFO R81 serious question. When you competed against other athletes, how did you mentally not make it about the other person you had to beat. Because everyone wants the gold medal, but only one can have it,

by Anonymousreply 86January 15, 2018 11:08 PM

R86 because in my sport, and in a lot of other sports, you have no control over what anyone else does. The only person you can impact on competition day is yourself. Sure you can play mind games with other competitors, but ultimately, in my sport and other subjective sports where you're scored, the only person you're competing against is yourself and putting out there what you know you can do. Do a lot of athletes have that mindset? Probably not. But that's how my coaches trained us to handle competition.

by Anonymousreply 87January 15, 2018 11:12 PM

R87 one more question (and thanks for answering) were you friends with your competitors.

by Anonymousreply 88January 15, 2018 11:14 PM

Yes and no R88.

My main competition came from within my own club mates. So yes, we were all friends. I was friends with some of the other competitors that made up the national team and friendly enough with the others. We didn't spend a whole lot of time with other athletes from other areas or those that competed for other countries so we didn't know one another well enough to just say hi and shake hands, etc.

I became friends and developed better relationships with a lot of the other people I competed with because my sport did a tour and we were forced to spend time together.

I don't know if that answered your question. If you're wondering if any of us were "enemies," there was some of that too. There were only two other guys in my competitive career that I would say were competitors where we hated each other.

by Anonymousreply 89January 15, 2018 11:20 PM

OK thanks R89 Always wonder when competitors put their arms around each other at the medal ceremony, if that is fake or real emotion.

by Anonymousreply 90January 15, 2018 11:22 PM

It's generally not fake, R90.. but it's more like that's just what you're supposed to do.

by Anonymousreply 91January 15, 2018 11:25 PM

OOPS, did someone cut Tanya's laces too short & then make off with her spares? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2018 5:59 AM

poor nancy

she must feel so neglected from all this mess.

babe we are with u and think tonya is a fukkiin mess!

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2018 6:01 AM

Oh give it a rest R80--I'm not lacking in compassion just because I think Tonya Harding should have apologized to Nancy Kerrigan and because I consider her an unpleasant person who was, yes, victimized.

by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2018 6:03 AM

Tonya did apologize, on National Television. It was very set-up and very awkward. Kerrigan talked about it in an ABC interview, which might also be on the YouTube page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2018 6:58 AM

Technically, Tonya never apologized to Nancy. She asked for "forgiveness," but never actually said sorry to her.

And in true Tonya fashion she quickly makes it about her and starts talking about what she wanted for herself and what she has now.

Also, I find it hilarious when she pretends like she hadn't heard that the plot had originally included killing Nancy. She won't be winning any awards for that.

Tonya really is a pathological liar. She boldly lies that Jeff beat her up in front of Federal Agents!

One has to wonder why Nancy agreed to do this interview. She claims she did it because she thought once she did it would put it all behind her. She must be a moron if she actually thought that. Her husband must have told her to do it and they must have earned a big check.

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2018 12:54 PM

I remember hearing this story. Let me know if anyone else remembers and can confirm and/or correct specific details:

A few years before the Nancy Kerrigan scandal, Tonya's brother was killed in an unsolved hit and run. He was older, and either a half or step brother. It had been rumored and/or speculated that he had sexually abused Tonya, and she was somehow responsible for his death.

So anybody else recall this?

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2018 5:37 PM

I have never heard the part about Tonya being responsible for his death part. Not saying I'm right, I just don't recall that.

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2018 5:39 PM

Margot Robie was on some talk show, I think Good Morning, America -- and she more or less revealed something about her character -- that she doesn't feel other people's pain. So, makes sense one sociopath would want to make a movie glorifying another, while also being snarky and condescending in the depiction. I am now rooting against her being nominated for this ugly movie which glorifies a not-deserving subject and tries to reposition her as innocent victim of abuse. I call BULLSHIT!

by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2018 5:50 PM

What I find appalling about all of this is that she's getting a chance to completely re-write history. People are looking at the movie as though it were based on fact and not based on stories Tony and Jeff (both known liars) have told. I've heard talk show hosts and journalists repeating things from the movie as fact... which are easily verified as being anything but.

by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2018 5:59 PM

Well then you are going to like this 99. An interview I watched yesterday with Margot and Tonya, Margot said that Tonya is the character that has effected her they most and that she's still carrying her around with her a bit. She's found it difficult to shake her.

If I find the interview I'll post it here.

by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2018 6:07 PM

R101 I know actors like to say that shit because they think it makes them sound really committed and as though they're intense and blah blah blah means they're THAT great of an actor..

In actuality it makes you sound like a psychopath.

She's really working overtime to get that nom / award. Too bad she didn't work that hard on her acting.

by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2018 6:09 PM

R100, I was surprised to discover that a lot (well, two) of the sites that I thought would be very sympathetic to Tonya are not. Compassion about her past, sure, but not her adult criminal behavior. I think public opinion is still very mixed about her, even with all the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2018 6:12 PM

Here r99 go to 3:05 in and that's where Margot talks about playing Tonya.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 16, 2018 6:18 PM

She’s Australian

Of course she’s an antisocial criminal lover

by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2018 6:20 PM

R68--it's been 25 years, but I recall it was one judges marks--a Russian female judge--that put Oksasa's total points over the top. I remember being disappointed but also thinking that Nancy didn't skate as strongly as she had in the past. It looked as if she was just expertly going through her routine.

I do undertand now that Oksana skated just a bit better that night. Perhaps Kerrigan was guarded from her injury.

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2018 6:22 PM

R106 it came down to the Czech judge who gave the artistic mark to Baiul over Kerrigan.

Kerrigan didn't skate guarded because of her injury... she always skated like that.

by Anonymousreply 107January 16, 2018 6:24 PM

Yeah, I agree with R107. God, she took remote to a whole other level.

by Anonymousreply 108January 16, 2018 7:01 PM

I just want to add that I was a passionate fan of Oksana's. No other skater like her. But I thought Nancy deserved to win. Oksana's long, in my memory, was sloppy. I know artistic scores count more in long, but it shouldn't override sloppy.

by Anonymousreply 109January 16, 2018 7:03 PM

I watched it a few times. Every time I changed my mind. It was as close to a tie as could have been. I wouldn't argue either one.

by Anonymousreply 110January 16, 2018 9:46 PM

[quote] but I recall it was one judges marks--a Russian female judge--

You recall incorrectly. It was a male Czech judge!!!

by Anonymousreply 111January 16, 2018 11:00 PM

It was actually the 1980 Olympic Silver Medalist in Men Skating who was the judge.

by Anonymousreply 112January 16, 2018 11:01 PM

[quote]I watched it a few times. Every time I changed my mind. It was as close to a tie as could have been. I wouldn't argue either one.

I should re-watch it to see what I'd think today.

by Anonymousreply 113January 16, 2018 11:16 PM

Here you go R113.

Nancy in all her Neil Diamond glory:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 16, 2018 11:21 PM

Oksana in an equally atrocious Broadway medley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 16, 2018 11:22 PM

I had forgotten that they both did the same number of triples, although Kerrigan did combinations.

I also thought Oksana two-footed more than just one jump. Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 116January 16, 2018 11:27 PM

Tonya got triggered by that question?

Hmm. Says a lot.

by Anonymousreply 117January 16, 2018 11:34 PM

R117 she was abused!!!! She has every right to act like a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 118January 16, 2018 11:37 PM

Thanks for posting those links R114.

Now I don't know. Artistically, they are night and day with Oksana being so much better. But technically, Nancy is cleaner. With Oksana, I thought I saw two slight two footed landings, though the first I'm not sure about. That was the very first jump she did, the triple lutz. Then she slightly double footed the next jump, the triple flip. The next three jumps were clean. Then she doubled a triple. Then she threw in a triple/double combo that was sloppy.

Too close to call. Could go either way, easily. However, I was more turned off by Oksana's outfit than I care to admit!

by Anonymousreply 119January 16, 2018 11:39 PM

She didn't two foot the triple lutz, R119. It was clean. I think the only jump she two footed was the triple flip. In slow motion it looks like a slight two-foot which wasn't as bad as I remembered it. All her other jumps were clean. For some reason I thought she two footed the triple toe she threw in at th eend but she doesn't.

And she doesn't throw a triple/double at the end. It's a double/double.

by Anonymousreply 120January 16, 2018 11:44 PM

[quote] And she doesn't throw a triple/double at the end. It's a double/double.

She had to throw that in because in the free program a jump combination of any kind must be done. This is true of the short program, as well as the long program. If she didn't put in any type of jump combination, she would have been marked down.

by Anonymousreply 121January 16, 2018 11:46 PM

So, what's your verdict R120? I guess I am going to give it to Oksana, because artistic counts more in the long and she didn't just skate, she performed. Also, she should be given the edge, because she won Worlds.

by Anonymousreply 122January 16, 2018 11:47 PM

Incorrect, R121. There was no requirement in the free program. Go ask Maria Butraskaya.

by Anonymousreply 123January 16, 2018 11:53 PM

[quote] There was no requirement in the free program. Go ask Maria Butraskaya.

Want to try that again?

The implementation of the IJS also required that an Axel type jump be included in one of the jumping passes in the free skate, and as of 2010, the number of double Axels in the free skate is restricted to a maximum of 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 16, 2018 11:57 PM

R122 I can see both arguments. I can see why people think Nancy should have won and I can see why people think Oksana should have.

Ultimately my personal preference is Oksana. She skated with energy and as though she enjoyed it. I never got that impression from Nancy. She skates around like she has to and never showed any passion. Oksana skated to win and was rewarded.

by Anonymousreply 125January 16, 2018 11:58 PM

Try again, R124. It required a double axel. It did not require a double axel in combination or any combination be performed.

Oksana had already done the double axel earlier in the program and then again at the end.

by Anonymousreply 126January 17, 2018 12:04 AM

R126 first you said

[quote] There was no requirement in the free program

Now you are saying

[quote] It required a double axel.

Can you try to have ONE narrative and stick with it?

by Anonymousreply 127January 17, 2018 12:07 AM

R127 haha. YOU are the one changing your narrative.

The comment that there wasn't a requirement was in response to the assertion that:

[quote]She had to throw that in because in the free program a jump combination of any kind must be done.

So maybe YOU should pick a narrative and stick with it.

by Anonymousreply 128January 17, 2018 12:09 AM

R128 here are the required elements for the LONG program

Program length: Ladies 4:00 +/- 10 sec. 12 Elements

There is a difference between the length of the Ladies and Mens free skating program, the maximum number of jumps allowed, and the step sequence.

Items with * are required elements. Jumps (Ladies Max 7) 1 must be an Axel-type jump* Number of jumps in jump sequence is not limited. 2 triples or quads may be repeated, but must be in combo or sequence 3 double axel maximum as a solo jump or in combination or sequence

Combos tMaximum 3 combos or sequences Combos limited to 2 jumps, but one 3 jump combo is permitted.

Spins (Max 3) t1 flying entry* 1 spin combination; with or without change of foot* 1 spin with only 1 position * Minimum 6 revolution; 10 revolutions for combo; minimum 2 revolutions in position All spins may change feet and start with a fly Spins must be of a different nature

Ladies Step Sequences (Max 2) tOne step sequence - Straight line, circular, or serpentine One spiral sequence with at least 2 spirals. Shape may vary. Only first 3 spirals count for levels.

So you want to try that again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129January 17, 2018 12:12 AM

R129 um... so again... where does it say that a jump combination is required?

by Anonymousreply 130January 17, 2018 12:15 AM

R130 didn't you say there are no required elements in the free?

by Anonymousreply 131January 17, 2018 12:17 AM

R130 I'll show you were the required combo is, when you admit you made a mistake about required elements in the free

by Anonymousreply 132January 17, 2018 12:17 AM

Nancy skated the stronger technical program for sure, but I would have probably gone with Oksana for the Gold. I thought her short program was far superior to Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 133January 17, 2018 12:17 AM

Oksana's Olympic performances, both short and long, were miles above Nancy's. Nancy was stiff and robotic, showed no personality, and has never been able to mask the constant scowl, hard as she tries with that horse-faced phony smile. Nancy phoned it in, she really thought that with her victimhood and all the press & hype there was NO WAY she wasn't gonna get that gold. And then she didn't. HAHAHAHA! Oksana artistically destroyed Nancy. Nancy showed her true colors when waiting to go to the podium, whining about how long Oksana was taking and showing, then rolling her eyes and scowling at her on the podium, very poor sportsmanship. Then again at Disney. And then again by fucking her MARRIED manager or agent or whoever he was. Michele Kwan and Lipinski also had a similar situation with Michele skating stiff and robotic, with Tara going out there and dazzling the crowd just like Oksana did. Tara deserved that gold. And so did Oksana. The difference is that Michele was a class act about that loss that we all know was totally devastating to her. Nancy is a CUNT, thorough and through. The thing that annoys me most is that the press has always either hidden or glossed over anything negative about Nancy, instead twisting themselves into a pretzel to present her as some sort of perfect fairy princess. And Nancy benefited from that protection all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 134January 17, 2018 12:20 AM

No, I didn't R131. Do you have reading comprehension problems? As I already stated and you can review above, the comment that there was no required element was in direct response the comment that a combination jump was required. It was even quoted in the response.

So yes, please tell me where a jump combination was required.

by Anonymousreply 135January 17, 2018 12:20 AM

Re: the comments about required elements I understood that in R123 that it was about the combo because of the Maria reference. I never understood how she got away with that in 98.

by Anonymousreply 136January 17, 2018 12:22 AM

Was Michelle gracious when she lost to Tara? I guess she didn't scowl and bitch like Kerrigan did but I remember thinking she surely wasn't hiding she was mad about it because she kept covering up the medal.

by Anonymousreply 137January 17, 2018 12:23 AM

R135 your exact words are

[quote] There was no requirement in the free program.

So when you admit you made a mistake, I'll show you were the required combo is. It is there in plain view. But if you don't admit, I guess you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth

by Anonymousreply 138January 17, 2018 12:23 AM

R138 You already posted the required elements. There was no required combo UNLESS a skater repeated a triple. A double axel isn't a triple.

by Anonymousreply 139January 17, 2018 12:25 AM

R137 Michele was very gracious, all the while trying to keep her composure because I think what she really wanted to do was curl up in a little ball in a corner and just DIE. That's how devastated she was. And again when she lost to that fugly heifer Sarah Hughes (that was the worst travesty to ever happen in figure skating). Nancy could barely conceal that she was visually stabbing Oksana to death with a butcher knife.

by Anonymousreply 140January 17, 2018 12:26 AM

Ohhhhh come on you guyyyys! Can't we let go of this argument and focus on making fun of Tonya???

by Anonymousreply 141January 17, 2018 12:26 AM

I do agree re: Nancy and Michelle having similar circumstances. Both skated not to lose a Gold and lost it to skaters that were skating to win.

by Anonymousreply 142January 17, 2018 12:27 AM

R140 Kwan had no one to blame but Daddy Kwan for both her losses!

by Anonymousreply 143January 17, 2018 12:28 AM

You skating loons are too much

by Anonymousreply 144January 17, 2018 12:28 AM

I know R144 as R139 is so loony as he can't read the rules

by Anonymousreply 145January 17, 2018 12:29 AM

And yet the loon can't point it out!

by Anonymousreply 146January 17, 2018 12:30 AM

R144 please stick to your comments like in R105. That was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 147January 17, 2018 12:31 AM

Well it was pointed out REPEATEDLY but R146 can't read for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 148January 17, 2018 12:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 17, 2018 12:37 AM

Thought so.

by Anonymousreply 150January 17, 2018 12:37 AM

Someone is trying way too hard.

by Anonymousreply 151January 17, 2018 12:40 AM

I don't understand all the fuss anyways. It was a little tap on the knee, big deal? Suck it up buttercup!

by Anonymousreply 152January 17, 2018 12:51 AM

If Tonya got so upset about that question, I'd be interested to know her reaction to more penetrating questions.

by Anonymousreply 153January 17, 2018 12:57 AM

Good Lord, yes of course there are/were requirements in the free skate. And they are slightly different under IJS than the old 6.0 system. In the 80s, the ISU created the well-balanced program requirements, so that skaters wouldn't load their programs with jumps and forego the other elements. Female skaters were limited to 7 triples (in addition to spin and step requirements) and per the Zayak rule, they couldn't perform the same triple jump more than twice, and if twice one of them has to be in combination. (This is a result of Elaine Zayak throwing 4 triple loops in one program.) Skaters would get a deduction for any extra triples. Under the ISJ, they are limited to 7 jumping passes, one of the jumps must be an axel and if they do an extra triple of any jump there's no penalty but no points are awarded for it (so it's a waste to even bother). They also can't perform the same double jump more than twice (with one in combo), but I think that's new under ISJ. That's to stop them from doing all jumping passes as combos by throwing a double toe or loop after each jump.

There is no required jump combination in the free skate (there is one in the short program), but there is a limit of 3 total and obviously the top contenders will have at least one because otherwise they are limiting their total jumps. What's fun in watching competitions is when a skater screws up and then has to calculate whether/how to change their program to make up for the missed jump or combo. That's what Oksana did in 1994, and the reason she was able to throw in the extra 3T was because her program was so weak on jumps to being with. She had plenty of room to add a jump and she added the easiest triple.

As for the Nancy vs. Oksana debate, Oksana had the better short but Nancy had the better long. It's not just that Nancy had more difficult jumps (including combinations) but she had more varied and difficult entries into her jumps and better/more varied spins. Nancy ended up with a slightly higher technical score, but it should have been much higher than Oksana's, giving her the win (even with Oksana having the higher artistry score).

by Anonymousreply 154January 17, 2018 1:34 AM

Yes, we are aware that there are requirements, R154 but you are clearly wrong. There IS a combination requirement as the gal above keeps stating over and over. Can't you read???

by Anonymousreply 155January 17, 2018 1:40 AM

Well perhaps she could cite the language from the ISU directly. Singles free skate requirements begin on page 103.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 17, 2018 1:46 AM

Can this crusty old hag still throw triple axels?

by Anonymousreply 157January 17, 2018 1:47 AM

She already did R156! And she says it's in plain sight... we're all just too dumb to see what's right in front of our faces!!!

by Anonymousreply 158January 17, 2018 1:47 AM

One of the things I clearly remember about Harding is that she skated to the music of Jurassic Park.. which I found extremely fitting, as she lumbered around on the ice with the grace of a dinosaur!

by Anonymousreply 159January 17, 2018 1:48 AM

R159 she also skated to Batman. She had horrendous taste... in music... costumes... and men!

by Anonymousreply 160January 17, 2018 1:58 AM

I’ve been with team Tonya ever since Nancy Kerrigan was such a boorish snot sitting next to Mickey Mouse in the parade at Disneyland. No class at all.

by Anonymousreply 161January 17, 2018 2:00 AM

I liked Tonya's Batman program, especially on the rare occasion when she actually landed the 3A.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 17, 2018 2:03 AM

R134, Nancy didn’t just fuck her agent, she married him. In fact, he left his wife and 5 year old son for Nancy.

I’m sure the first Mrs. Solomon isn’t shedding any tears for Nancy the “victim.” She probably thinks they didn’t club that bitch hard enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163January 17, 2018 2:13 AM

I didn't even realize she skated to Batman twice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 17, 2018 2:19 AM

More than twice, that was her routine for at least 2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 165January 17, 2018 2:23 AM

[quote]More than twice, that was her routine for at least 2 seasons.

Oh, so she and Nancy had a lot more in common than I thought!

by Anonymousreply 166January 17, 2018 2:28 AM

Wow, R164, other than the jumps she was godawful.

by Anonymousreply 167January 17, 2018 2:28 AM

I quickly read the thread subject as "Tom Hardy STORMS OUT Of Interview" and then read the Nancy Kerrigan part and I was like WTF?!

by Anonymousreply 168January 17, 2018 2:29 AM

It wouldn't be any more surreal than the rest of this thread, R168.

Clearly I'm missing out by not watching more figure skating. I always thought of it as not being a real sport, but it sounds like MMA with sequins.

by Anonymousreply 169January 17, 2018 2:39 AM

R166, it was that Neil Diamond music in her LP that Nancy kept resusing.

by Anonymousreply 170January 17, 2018 2:44 AM

R170 I'm referring to the short program (with music written specifically for her by Mark Militano!) she used for two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 171January 17, 2018 2:50 AM

Some of it is nice skating but why do they show their crotch to everyone sitting in the stands?

by Anonymousreply 172January 17, 2018 2:51 AM

Some of us show our tits, R172!

by Anonymousreply 173January 17, 2018 2:54 AM

Lol, R159. That's the way I think of her... graceless.

I think at least part of her wanted to be the Wild Thing of the ice.

by Anonymousreply 174January 17, 2018 2:55 AM

There was something odd about the way Tonya held her hands when she skated. It was like her nails were wet and she was afraid she would ruin her manicure.

by Anonymousreply 175January 17, 2018 2:58 AM

R171, I'm not sure which one you mean. She used a least 2 or 3 different (horrid) pieces of music from Militano with different programs. She used one of each in 1992 and 1994.

Nancy had oddly frauish taste in music. She was like a middle aged woman by 19.

by Anonymousreply 176January 17, 2018 2:58 AM

Does anyone remember how snarky Nancy was when Oksana won? Her mic was on and you could see her rolling her eyes and complaining that Okasana kept crying. Americas sweetheart seemed like a total bitch.

by Anonymousreply 177January 17, 2018 3:00 AM

R176 I think she used the same SP in both the 91-92 and the 92-93 season.

by Anonymousreply 178January 17, 2018 3:00 AM

R177 she was bitching because she had to wait because the ceremony was delayed ( a whole 10 minutes!!!). She was incorrectly told it was because Oksana wanted more make up.

In reality, nobody could find a copy of the Ukraine anthem.

by Anonymousreply 179January 17, 2018 3:01 AM

Tina Yothers - best Tonya.

by Anonymousreply 180January 17, 2018 3:07 AM

(R79) you're right I remember that. When they told her Oksana was getting her make up done you could hear Nancy say "why bother, she's just going to cry again"

by Anonymousreply 181January 17, 2018 3:08 AM

R175 I've commented on that a lot. It was part of the odd style she had. The weird, splayed fingers with her acrylic nails... as though she thought that made her lady like... the inappropriate arm pumping like she's trying to take off, and the odd head rolls like a screw was missing from the back of her neck... that was her artistry y'all!

by Anonymousreply 182January 17, 2018 3:12 AM

R178, no I'm positive Nancy had a different SP for Worlds in 1991 than for Worlds/Olympics in 1992. She used the 1992 program for Worlds in 1993, then a new one for the Olympics in 1994. All the music was Militano and it was all awful. Although her 1992/3 program was perfection (if you turn the sound down).

by Anonymousreply 183January 17, 2018 3:23 AM

Hm. well either way, R183 she used it for two Worlds in a row. Once was enough!

by Anonymousreply 184January 17, 2018 3:26 AM

Going back to 1994 I find it funny that after the competition, right before the Awards, Scott "Homophobic" Hamilton comments that the scoring was fair... he has since screeched that it was unfair and that Nancy was punished for Tonya's crime.

by Anonymousreply 185January 17, 2018 3:27 AM

[quote]the odd head rolls like a screw was missing from the back of her neck..

I didn't notice that in the video I just saw, but I want to see it. Any particular program you can recall that I should watch?

by Anonymousreply 186January 17, 2018 3:35 AM

R186 just about every skate she ever skate!

But you can check out the video below. She does it at about the 1:29 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187January 17, 2018 3:39 AM

[quote]Does anyone remember how snarky Nancy was when Oksana won? Her mic was on and you could see her rolling her eyes and complaining that Okasana kept crying. Americas sweetheart seemed like a total bitch.

So why do so many people love Tonya for being a working class, pithy cunt but HATE when Nancy,who ALSO comes from a humble, blue collar background, does it?

The "ice princess" label Nancy got pinned with was bullshit....it's the MEDIA that decided to make it about "class".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188January 17, 2018 4:06 AM

The attack on Kerrigan was on 6 January 1994 and the ladies' figure skating final at the Olympics was 25 February 1994, when Kerrigan won the silver medal. 50 days after the attack.

by Anonymousreply 189January 17, 2018 4:47 AM

I seem to recall that it was Jan Hoffman of Germany, who came in 2nd to Robin Cousins at the 1980 Winter Olympics, who was the judge who cast the deciding score that gave Oksana the gold and Nancy the silver. He was a judge in the 1994 Olympics. He was quoted later as saying that he thought Oksana's program was more artisitc than Kerrigan's so that's why he gave Oksana the higher score (and thus the gold medal).

by Anonymousreply 190January 17, 2018 4:50 AM

So where is the video of Tonya storming out of the Piers interview?

She also cut short a Connie Chung interview in 1994.

I love Tonya both for her skating skills and her bizarre life.

by Anonymousreply 191January 17, 2018 4:58 AM

Triple axel, baby. 0:52

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192January 17, 2018 5:10 AM

Those head rolls are the only artistry she’s got, r187.

Her spirals were so terrible she shouldn’t have even bothered (I know they were a required element).

by Anonymousreply 193January 17, 2018 5:22 AM

Tonya's worst move was that stupid little dip she added into her programs. Pathetic attempt at "artistry." It's at the 2:00 mark. She should have worked on her footwork and spirals instead of wasting time with silly awkward moves like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194January 17, 2018 5:34 AM

I remember Nancy addressing the press for its poor treatment of her. I never saw the "crying" comment that r177 referenced until last week, but I do remember the media frequently playing another clip of Nancy speaking candidly while not realizing her mike was on. While participating in a Disney parade, her mike caught her complaining about how "corny" the parade was and that it was the most corny thing she had ever done. Not really such a bad thing to say after all; she didn't curse or insult anyone. Still the media gave her a hard time about it. Later, she did an interview with one of the news magazine shows and criticized the media. She pointed out that the media likes to put people up on a pedestal only to tear them down later. She was absolutely right, but it didn't garner her much sympathy.

America likes its female figure skaters to be perfect delicate gracious princesses on and off the ice; sarcasm, eyerolling, and complaining doesn't fit the mold.

by Anonymousreply 195January 17, 2018 5:56 AM

R195, actually, America doesn’t care all that much about skaters, male or female.

What America doesn’t like is when the media pushes a perfect ice princess/victim narrative about someone who really isn’t all that nice and who marries her smarmy agent who ditches his wife and kid for her.

by Anonymousreply 196January 17, 2018 11:44 AM

The other thing about Tonya that was cringe worthy was watching her Ina Bauers later in her career. She got so lazy she would barely bend her neck back let alone her back.

by Anonymousreply 197January 17, 2018 12:49 PM

lol at the troll above who is working over time gaslighting about a combination being required in the Free skate. You were obviously wrong and mad about being wrong.

by Anonymousreply 198January 17, 2018 12:54 PM

I wonder what is gained by this.

She’s barred from ever skating or coaching.

Her temper always gets the best of her whenever she’s asked about it.

Nancy Kerrigan refuses to talk about it.

So what changes by any minor revelations?

by Anonymousreply 199January 17, 2018 12:58 PM

R199 what is gained by this?

Tonya doesn't realize she's being used and a victim again! She doesn't get that she's being taken advantage of by Margot and the production team. They're trotting her out to get publicity for the movie, but more importantly, they're using her as a tool to try to help Robbie get that Oscar.

If Tonya believes for a second that Margot cares about her she's wrong. Tonya apparently makes bad choices when it comes to people, so this isn't a surprise, is it? Margot couldn't care less about Tonya. Once the awards seasons have come and gone, trust that Margot won't be answering Tonya's calls.

And Tonya's a ridiculous, delusional, moron if she thinks she can go around demanding that people can't ask her about the past, specifically the Kerrigan situation. WTF would anyone have any other reason to talk to you about?

by Anonymousreply 200January 17, 2018 1:12 PM

Oksana's Olympic LP was a pose-filled, sloppy mess. No, she didn't fall, but it was a very wobbly performance. She was very afraid of losing to Kerrigan, which is why her team pushed that "Oh, I'm a poor orphan, pity me!!!" story so hard. Her true colors sure came out when she immediately turned into a trashy, drunken slut.

by Anonymousreply 201January 17, 2018 1:31 PM

[quote]She was very afraid of losing to Kerrigan, which is why her team pushed that "Oh, I'm a poor orphan, pity me!!!" story so hard.

No she wasn't.

I agree with those who have posted before. Kerrigan (like Kwan) is the one who skated like they had something to lose.

by Anonymousreply 202January 17, 2018 1:43 PM

I think lot of Tonya's personal and legal issues stem from the fact that she has extremely low self esteem. She is very insecure, that is obvious. Sometimes, when a person is so insecure/low self-esteem, they either consciously or subconsciously sabotage their own efforts because they cannot cope with being the reason for their own failure. For a normal person, losing a skating competition might hurt and suck and all, but they are able to separate that loss from their own identity. For someone like Tonya, creating a scapegoat, like broken laces, then gives her the confidence to skate, because in her fragile mind, she has something else to blame for her failure, because she doesn't have the emotional confidence to blame herself. That's the best way I can describe it. I speak from experience with this, as someone very close to me was in a similar competitive sport and she was exactly the same way. Talent for days, but cultivating, mining, and utilizing that talent was a near impossible struggle because she was so damaged that she never had the emotional strength or maturity to handle it. I know that people love to make fun of Tonya and hate on her but her success as a skater was long fixed before she ever put on her first pair of skates.

Interestingly, if Tonya were a minority, there would have been a rush to forgiveness because "white Nancy", her abusive low-income past would have been held up as the excuse for anything she did wrong, SJW would have worked overtime to ensure that her "story" reflected her "strength despite the odds against her", etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 203January 17, 2018 5:22 PM

I think a lot of Tonya's issues stem from her being a bit of a sociopath. And this is coming from someone who likes her!!!

[quote]Interestingly, if Tonya were a minority, there would have been a rush to forgiveness because "white Nancy", her abusive low-income past would have been held up as the excuse for anything she did wrong, SJW would have worked overtime to ensure that her "story" reflected her "strength despite the odds against her", etc etc.

Maybe now but not in 1994.

And you can reverse it too. There would be more of an outcry about what Tonya did or claims she didn't do, if Nancy weren't a white, pretty girl, but instead, I don't know, Surya Bonaly.

by Anonymousreply 204January 17, 2018 5:40 PM

OMG is that Dick Button on R206? You need to get yourself an education son, her issues are many but being a “Sociopath” is best saved for murders and nihilists. I love it when people use such stupid words to argue an losing “point.”

by Anonymousreply 205January 17, 2018 6:16 PM

[quote] her issues are many but being a “Sociopath” is best saved for murders and nihilists

Proof you don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 206January 17, 2018 6:19 PM

A lack of empathy or void of remorse. Ok. Difficult relationships that are unstable or chaotic? Ok. Manipulative. Ok. Deceiftul and often lie to get their own way or revise history. Ok. Callousness with a tendency to disregard other people's feelings. Ok. Often interprets others behaviors towards them as hostile. Ok. Lack of accountability. Nothing is ever there fault and there are always extreme outside factors to blame. Ok.

Sounds like some on these threads meet those too.

by Anonymousreply 207January 17, 2018 6:25 PM

This song and video were on the '"Best 'Story' Songs" thread...

"Tonya Harding," by Sufjan Stevens

Darkly funny, but also beautiful and sad song and music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208January 17, 2018 6:31 PM

Extremely rude to post that R208! Tonya wants nothing to do with that song!

by Anonymousreply 209January 17, 2018 6:34 PM

[quote]And you can reverse it too. There would be more of an outcry about what Tonya did or claims she didn't do, if Nancy weren't a white, pretty girl, but instead, I don't know, Surya Bonaly.

That's a good point. What would the reaction be if Kerrigan weren't white? Would it have been different if it had been Yamaguchi? Or if she had been black?

by Anonymousreply 210January 17, 2018 6:38 PM

[quote]I agree with those who have posted before. Kerrigan (like Kwan) is the one who skated like they had something to lose.

She did. It would have taken nerves of steel for her not to though. She already had a lot of pressure on her [italic]before[/italic] the whole Tonya thing, because her performance at worlds had been such a disaster. She had a lot to prove. Add the increased scrutiny, forget it. I can't imagine skating any other way, but cautiously. She still skated incredibly well despite it all.

by Anonymousreply 211January 17, 2018 6:43 PM

R211 I will give that to Kerrigan. Kerrign had done a lot of mental prep and therapy to get over her nerves. The Kerrigan the year prior would have imploded (See Beauty and the Beast).

However, as has also pointed out, her entire amateur career, she skated like a frigid robot. There was never any passion or even remote joy in her skating. I think it hurt her.

by Anonymousreply 212January 17, 2018 6:46 PM

R207, as it happens a counselor for crisis lines - so yes I understand the issues. Borderline certainly, Sociopath? You are out of your lane, so stop now.

by Anonymousreply 213January 18, 2018 4:05 AM

That’s right, R199! Nancy is a class act and never talks about the events of 1994! She just wants to move on with her life!

Unless, of course, there’s a big check attached to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214January 18, 2018 11:56 AM

Hahaha @ R213!

by Anonymousreply 215January 18, 2018 1:24 PM

Out of your lane is someone who stays quiet about an attack on another human being.

Sociopath!

by Anonymousreply 216January 18, 2018 1:25 PM

And I'm a highly respected clinical Psychologist!

by Anonymousreply 217January 18, 2018 1:27 PM

[quote]What I find appalling about all of this is that she's getting a chance to completely re-write history.

The movie really screws up its attempts to make certain events look sketchy. Several times we're seeing what Tonya has claimed happened acted out on screen, but we're apparently supposed to see it as implausible. One scene is when she's talking to the skating judge and he's saying she needs to look like she's in a happy family -- he's cussing and speaking just like Tonya would, not like the judge he's supposed to be. But the movie doesn't really make it very clear, not even in some scenes where Tonya is speaking right at the camera, and I see a lot of people take what they've seen as gospel because they don't see the ambiguity.

by Anonymousreply 218January 18, 2018 1:30 PM

Well, it's not like the movie is clever or well written.

by Anonymousreply 219January 18, 2018 1:40 PM

This movie is living proof that whites, gentiles, and heterosexuals are sick psychotic fucks whose continued existence on this planet is a threat to all living things.

by Anonymousreply 220January 18, 2018 1:43 PM

[quote]You are out of your lane, so stop now.

Yeah, no.

by Anonymousreply 221January 18, 2018 2:46 PM

[quote]Well, it's not like the movie is clever or well written.

As has been stated a few times the movie is literally just a mashed up transcript of a bunch of interviews Tonya's given over the years.

Now was Tonya abused? Certainly. Was she abused to the extent that she says she was? Who knows. Tonya has a history of lying and getting caught in her lies. This is a woman who lied about Jeff beating her up while the FBI stood by and watched. Tonya has a ton of stories that nobody can ever corroborate and her stories are constantly changing.

So why would anyone expect anyone to believe a word that comes out of her mouth? Especially when she talks about what role she played and how much she knew about the attack.

by Anonymousreply 222January 18, 2018 2:52 PM

This is totally speculative on my part, but my impression of Tonya is that she isn't the kind of liar who just makes things up so much as she takes even a big kernel of truth and wildly spins a story that fits her projecting-blame-onto-everyone-else narrative. I believe Jeff abused her. Was the abuse as extreme as she depicted? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't think she's just making it up. Did Jeff beat her while FBI agents just stood and watched? Likely no, but it is possible (hell, I'd say likely) he did/said something abusive to her in front of them and they did nothing in response. (Remember, this is early 90s, when VAWA basically had to bribe law enforcement to take domestic violence seriously. Even today, go talk to Native American activists about how seriously the feds take violence against women.) Did USFSA tell Tonya her homemade costumes sucked and no more skating to heavy metal? Probably not, but they likely did make suggestions about softening her image and presentation. And so on.

It may even be unintentional or can't be helped on her part--she may honestly perceive things in such a way that she's always being unfairly maligned. "We have a problem with your inconsistency, your lack of practice and training, and we're really concerned about the smoking" in her mind translates into "Fuck you you piece of gutter trash, we're never going to support you no matter how good a skater you are!" And so instead of taking it as well-intentioned advice (or even constructive criticism) she just doubles down because fuck them. And abusers typically isolate and manipulate their victims into believing no one cares about or supports them. So no doubt her husband and possibly even her mother were egging on this kind of thinking--"They don't care about you, you're nothing but shit to them, only I know what's best for you." It becomes a really dysfunctional and dangerous feedback loop.

If Tonya had spent some of the last couple decades working on these issues--getting therapy, doing some supportive work for people in similar situations, or just trying to be constructively productive in SOME way--she might have developed some introspection and at least start to own up to her own bad decisions and behaviors. But she's clearly still stuck in that loop.

by Anonymousreply 223January 19, 2018 3:28 AM

R223, I have no doubts that Tonya does believe in a lot of the lies she tells and often probably doesn't even know she's lying... I can easily see how she might be the type of person who misinterprets things and thinks everything is an insult... I agree with all of that.

However, she does also tell outright lies that can't be misconstrued as an interpretation.

Her account of Jeff beating her in front of the FBI is told in a story that she was with the FBI, Jeff broke down the door and beat her right in front of them as they just stood there. The FBI denies it. Could they be lying? Sure. But I somehow doubt it.

It's stuff like that which makes it so that you really can't just take her at face value. Or rather, nobody should question why nobody ever believes her.

She often tells stories that judges have said all these terrible things to her, including the judge who told her to get back with Jeff. Yet she can't name that judge and nobody can corroborate it. I will say I've often wondered if she wasn't told this at all but rather did someone else on her team tell her that a judge said it. I can see them manipulating Tonya by feeding her fake info hoping that it would force her to do the things they had been telling her to do but she wouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 224January 19, 2018 3:36 AM

I guess the talk going around re: her recent ABC interview is that people are speculating that she was drunk (some claim they know she's an alcoholic) and that because she was drunk she let it slip about "hearing something" prior to the Kerrigan attack. People are saying because she was drunk she slipped up and that's why her story finally changed after 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 225January 19, 2018 3:37 AM

Yes that was quite a surprise. The other revelation, also at the end of that ABC special was how well she can still skate at the age of 47. I was amazed. Double jumps, no triples, but then Dorothy Hamill won her Olympic gold medal without a triple jump.

As a longtime Tonya fan, since the days I lived in Portland, I would just advise: enjoy her bizzare life and personality just for what it is, and don't try to overanalyze it. She's just Tonya and that's all she ever will be.

by Anonymousreply 226January 19, 2018 5:26 AM

The lying is a fairly common coping mechanism for abuse. You learn to lie about everything just to avoid attracting the ire of an abusive parent who could get set off by any old thing.

And being abused reframes a lot of events in your life, so that your defense mechanism of "it's not my fault" seeps into areas where that's not accurate. After a while you can't see any situation that wouldn't benefit from lies and deflection and brute force. It's not logical but it's how the brain gets wired when you're subjected to abuse at a young age.

Ironically, her tendency to lie and say things aren't her fault really ISN'T her fault.

by Anonymousreply 227January 19, 2018 10:24 AM

[quote]The other revelation, also at the end of that ABC special was how well she can still skate at the age of 47.

Up until a few years ago Midori was still competing and doing doubles. I'd bet she can still probably do them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228January 19, 2018 3:45 PM

As to "why why?", even assuming NK actually said that ...

... if someone bashed your knee in with a nightstick, then ran off, wouldn't you be shouting the same thing?

Mugging is one thing. The person runs up to you and punches you and steals from you. They hurt you because they wanted your stuff. But if someone just walked up behind you and clipped off a finger with a pair of garden shears, then walked off, wouldn't you be all like "WTF?" (to use the current vernacular).

by Anonymousreply 229January 19, 2018 4:18 PM

R229

Well we know she did say it. She just didn't say, "Why Me, Why me, Why ME..." as people are convinced she did.

by Anonymousreply 230January 19, 2018 4:20 PM

Why? Because she represented everything Tonya wanted but couldn't afford: skates that work and outfits not made out of polyester.

by Anonymousreply 231January 19, 2018 4:24 PM

Vera Wang really changed the game on figure skating outfits for a little while. Introduced the concept of simplicity and elegance, at least with some skaters. It doesn't look like it had any lasting impact though!

by Anonymousreply 232January 19, 2018 5:47 PM

And who does the figure skating world have to thank for that?

ME.

by Anonymousreply 233January 19, 2018 5:49 PM

R224 "She often tells stories that judges have said all these terrible things to her, including the judge who told her to get back with Jeff. Yet she can't name that judge and nobody can corroborate it. I will say I've often wondered if she wasn't told this at all but rather did someone else on her team tell her that a judge said it. I can see them manipulating Tonya by feeding her fake info hoping that it would force her to do the things they had been telling her to do but she wouldn't."

I could also imagine a well-intentioned but badly misguided judge saying something to the effect of "Your skating was better when your home life was more stable. Working things out with your estranged husband might help." Which of course becomes "They want me back with the man who tried to kill me!"

by Anonymousreply 234January 19, 2018 6:28 PM

I'm not unwilling to give credit where it's due Mary, but I thought it was Vera Wang that approached Nancy's team and offered to make dresses for her for free.

by Anonymousreply 235January 19, 2018 11:24 PM

No, R235. Mary is the one who approached Vera. She apparently knew Vera when they were skaters and she approached Vera and asked if she'd be interested in creating outfits for Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 236January 19, 2018 11:52 PM

I'll give it to Mary, that was fucking brilliant. Vera's costumes really made Nancy stand out and the press went gaga over them and her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237January 20, 2018 2:44 AM

I mean, that one she did for Nancy as posted in R237 was like she wasn't even trying though. She literally just took one of her wedding gowns and chopped off the skirt.

by Anonymousreply 238January 20, 2018 2:59 AM

It's hard to understand why this would trigger Tonya!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239January 20, 2018 3:01 AM

It was also a brilliant move on Vera's part to do the outfits and to do it for free. She got so much fucking free advertising from it.

by Anonymousreply 240January 20, 2018 3:03 AM

R238, but compare it to what figure skating costumes looked like up to and including then. Simple but elegant was practically revolutionary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 20, 2018 3:05 AM

Ugh. Figure skating is so trashy. Having said that, I loved I, Tonya. Team Harding. Fuck Nancy Kerrigan.

by Anonymousreply 242January 20, 2018 3:16 AM

[quote]but compare it to what figure skating costumes looked like up to and including then.

Excuse me? Kindly eat my shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243January 20, 2018 3:32 AM

Go choke on some fringe, Peggy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244January 20, 2018 3:35 AM

Don't be mad Nancy at R244 because you were wrong and that none of your outfits were as iconic as mine or that you don't have an Olympic Gold!

I'm also team whoever didn't fuck a married man and break up a marriage!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245January 20, 2018 3:38 AM

I'd like to post a response to this thread, but it's hard to type with my face pressed up against the computer screen.

by Anonymousreply 246January 20, 2018 10:04 AM

Yellow scrunchee is “elegant”?? She looks like a mutant daisy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247January 20, 2018 1:06 PM

I think it's a good thing that Brenda couldn't really see what a disaster her daughter was on the ice for most of her career!

by Anonymousreply 248January 20, 2018 2:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!