Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alan Cumming to star as the gay lead in a new CBS crime drama "Instinct"

Not that I will ever watch some CBS procedural, but good for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 19, 2019 9:29 PM

It is rare for a show to have a gay lead. Hope it succeeds.

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2018 12:35 AM

Good for him - I liked him in TGW, well other than having a bit of trouble “believing” his character was str8 (the Niles Crane problem).

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2018 12:43 AM

Too bad we can't have an actual gay man playing the lead character, though.

AC falls all over himself to remind everyone that he is BISEXUAL, NOT GAY, despite the husband. RAVING BISEXUAL!!!!!

He and Cynthia Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2018 12:46 AM

What r3 said!

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2018 12:52 AM

Is he gay or bi?

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2018 12:55 AM

r3, would you rather have a heterosexual in the role? Or someone who is gay/bi but pretending to be 100% straight? At least he came out as SOMETHING.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2018 12:55 AM

The Raving "Bisexuals" don't help us actual GAY people one single bit.

HausFraus all hear him shrieking that he's "SO HOT FOR WOMEN!" and see all gay men as just making a "choice" to live as butt-fucking perverts.

Alan Cumming and Cynthia Nixon need to play straight and bisexual characters and stop tainting us gays.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2018 12:58 AM

Some of the posters on this board are so fucking crazy.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2018 12:58 AM

Taken off the air in 8 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2018 1:06 AM

I agree with r3, it would have been nice if the lead was being played by an actual gay man.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2018 2:25 AM

or someone with male energy

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2018 2:29 AM

I just hope he doesn't sing "Willkommen".

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2018 3:35 AM

Was there ever a gay lead on network tv who was dangerously sexual?

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2018 4:36 AM

Previous relationships include an eight-year marriage to actress Hilary Lyon, a two-year relationship with actress Saffron Burrows, and a six-year relationship with theatre director Nick Philippou.

Cumming is bisexual. He lives in Manhattan with his husband, illustrator Grant Shaffer, and their dogs, Jerry and Lala. The couple dated for two years before becoming civil partners at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich, London, on 7 January 2007. Cumming and Shaffer legally married in New York on 7 January 2012, the fifth anniversary of their London union.

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2018 4:40 AM

Is he a real bisexual or Hollywood bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2018 4:40 AM

Instinct is an upcoming American police procedural and drama television series set to premiere on March 11, 2018. The series is based on James Patterson's Murder Games.

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2018 4:41 AM

It wasn't rape rape Whoopi is in it too

Whoopi Goldberg as Reinhart's lector

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2018 4:42 AM

Didn't know Cumming dated Saffron Burrows. She's married to a woman now.

by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2018 4:50 AM

[quote] Didn't know Cumming dated Saffron Burrows. She's married to a woman now.

Dating Alan Cummings was obviously hitting rock bottom. Glad to hear of her recovery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2018 4:59 AM

I really like Alan Cumming and happy to see him make TV history this way. Good for him and hope his show is a great success.

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2018 5:36 AM

[bold]Why CBS' 'Instinct,' With Its History-Making Gay Lead, Matters[/bold]

Guest column by the showrunner, Michael Rauch.

[quote]A little history: Almost 30 years ago, ABC's thirtysomething broke ground and became the first U.S. primetime broadcast drama to show two gay men in bed together. In 1989. It took that long. The men weren't allowed to touch each other, and still five of the show's regular sponsors pulled out. Since then, other broadcast dramas, like My So-Called Life, ER, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek and Grey's Anatomy, have blazed the trail, telling stories with queer supporting characters. (I am focusing solely on broadcast, scripted hour-long dramas.) Now here we are, in 2018, also known as the Golden Age of television. But maybe not quite pure gold if you are "different."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2018 3:37 PM

^^ Please read the column and be sure to support the show when it premieres this Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2018 3:39 PM

Seems ridiculous that it's taken this long to happen, there have been gay characters on TV but this is the FIRST leading gay character. I am happy to see it but it seems like it should've happened long before now.

by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2018 3:42 PM

[quote]but this is the FIRST leading gay character.

No it isn't. Queer as Folk? Looking? The New Normal? Will and Grace?

It isn't only the first time for an hour long drama on broadcast, still a nice moment, but let's not ignore the shows that have come before.

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2018 3:45 PM

It is* only

by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2018 3:50 PM

[quote]Queer as Folk? Looking? The New Normal? Will and Grace?

Apart from Will&Grace, which is a sitcom, all of those other shows bombed when it came to mainstream audiences. Also, the showrunner clearly states he had "broadcast, scripted hour-long dramas" in mind when he wrote his column. No one's denigrating or minimizing anything that came before.

by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2018 3:51 PM

Always liked his acting but was a little shocked at how he has aged. I didn't watch the Good Wife. I personally think he is gay now, despite any previous attempts to fit in.

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2018 4:07 PM

How will the grannies who watch CBS react to a gay lead???

by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2018 4:36 PM

They'll think he's just being British R28.

by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2018 4:37 PM

Not the claim of being first is true. There was a failed crime drama on UPN where the two leads were lesbians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 16, 2018 3:27 AM

I remember when Alan Cumming was attached to the "gay Hart to Hart" project from a few years ago that never got off the ground. It took a while but glad he was finally able to get something like this on the air.

by Anonymousreply 31March 16, 2018 3:35 AM

I think Cumming is the Bee's knees AND the cat's pyjamas. R29, Just to honour Mr. Cummings wishes and allegiance, he prefers Scottish-American. He has been an American citizen for at least a decade now.

by Anonymousreply 32March 16, 2018 3:40 AM

[quote]Always liked his acting but was a little shocked at how he has aged. I didn't watch the Good Wife. I personally think he is gay now, despite any previous attempts to fit in.

r27, he is bisexual, not gay. He consistently campaigns against bi-invisibility and bi-erasure. I wouldn't be surprised if he gradually turns the proposed tv character into bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 33March 16, 2018 4:14 AM

I also think Cumming is full-on gay despite his claims to the contrary. So he was married to a woman eons ago, so what? I don't think he's been anywhere near a vagina in decades. Like with many actors (Lee Pace being the latest example), I think he maintains the "I'm bi" line as a sort of career insurance against getting pegged solely as a gay actor (even though most of the roles he takes are of gay characters).

[quote]I wouldn't be surprised if he gradually turns the proposed tv character into bisexual.

It's possible, but after all the hoopla surrounding this being "the first gay lead" of a broadcast drama, I think it would be a royally stupid thing to do. I remember the reaction when the gay son on "Empire" had sex with Alicia Keys -- the show's gay viewers were outraged, basically seeing the relationship as an insult to that character as well as the audience. Hopefully, Cumming and his producers would be smart enough not to go there.

by Anonymousreply 34March 16, 2018 5:19 AM

[quote]I wouldn't be surprised if he gradually turns the proposed tv character into bisexual.

Yeah, we can only be assistants.

by Anonymousreply 35March 16, 2018 5:28 AM

Why would anyone think Cummings is anything but what he claims to be - bisexual R27? It is ironic considering his public position on bi-erasure.

He is not only an actor but also an author. Guess what features prominently in his writing? Bisexuality.

by Anonymousreply 36March 16, 2018 12:42 PM

R3 If people weren't so quick to announce every person with a same-sex partner gay, he wouldn't have to do that. It's extremely annoying when people think your sexual orientation = your current partner's sex, even if you dated 10 people of the opposite sex before.

by Anonymousreply 37March 17, 2018 2:10 AM

THR review:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 17, 2018 3:39 AM

This looks like "Castle" v2.0. I.e. a quintessential frau show.

by Anonymousreply 39March 17, 2018 4:10 AM

I wonder if Katherine Heigl and Laverne Cox will guest star.

by Anonymousreply 40March 17, 2018 4:39 AM

R39 - Of course Castle was Ellery Queen v2.0.

by Anonymousreply 41March 17, 2018 7:48 AM

Oh OK, Thank you, OP for not supporting your fellow gay man and gay mainstream exposure. Who needs Republicans when there are traitorous gays like you?

by Anonymousreply 42March 17, 2018 8:34 AM

Get back to us OP when a major network allows a gay man who actually has sexuality and is therefore threatening be the lead in a show.

Mistral time.

He's a manchild not a sexual male.

by Anonymousreply 43March 17, 2018 9:47 AM

I listend to an audiobook of him reading his memoir. It was pretty good. He seemed like a 100% gay boy. If he's bi he is on the gay end of the bi scale.

by Anonymousreply 44March 17, 2018 11:52 AM

r43 And how many procedurals on major networks focus on the character's sexuality even when they're straight? That's not what people tune in for when watching this type of show. The main appeal is the formula of solving a problem introduced at the beginning of each episode, not making you feel inadequate about your body and sex life. It's the TV version of comfort food for many people and now this genre will include a gay lead as well. It's not Stonewall 2.0 but it's progress nonetheless.

[quote]Mistral time.

I highly doubt French wind will be making an appearance in a procedural set in New York.

by Anonymousreply 45March 17, 2018 11:53 AM

Right, Alan Cumming, Pussy Hound. I can just see it.

Pure P.R. "spin". He's gayer than gay, I don't care how many girls are thrown into his bio. I've had a "relationship" with a woman over 20 years now, strangers no doubt think we are a couple. We are not. I am gay gay gay. So is Alan.

by Anonymousreply 46March 18, 2018 11:13 PM

Luke Evans is the lead actor in the Alienist, certain all of his early Hollywood hiding in a virtual closet is behind him now.

Ben Whishaw has been the lead in several UK TV series and he is married to another man.

Loads of others in the UK, sometimes I forget who is gay and who isn't - total non-issue here.

by Anonymousreply 47March 18, 2018 11:27 PM

It’s supposed to be on now, but CBS is late. I guess I’ll watch it later. Hot Nate is selling Le Creuset on QVC, so turning on the TV isn’t bad. He keeps talking about having two kids. Does he have a husband?

by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2018 12:11 AM

He said nothing but obvious liberal boiler plate on Seth Meyers. It was cringeworthy. I was very disappointed. I wonder why CBS bought this show. I liked him but the clip I saw was cheesy and cheap feeling, as was his talk show personality. What happened there?

by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2018 12:17 AM

He looks like Ratso.

by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2018 12:29 AM

Who is the guy in r21, the good-looking one?

by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2018 12:35 AM

I've NEVER understood his popularity.

He looks like such a weasel.

I first saw him on some bad sitcom on British TV and would have thought that was it for him - but NO! AMERICA! STARDOM! MASSIVE WEALTH AND SUCCESS.

It's astonishing.

& that awful cologne he put out with the ad of him being all sexy on his own in some SoHo loft - I couldn't believe it. Tons of eye make-up. FUCK ME, ALAN!

(& people bought it!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2018 12:37 AM

[quote]Who is the guy in [R21], the good-looking one?

Could be anyone. Tons of actors look exactly like that these days.

by Anonymousreply 53March 19, 2018 12:40 AM

Another Brit playing an American.

by Anonymousreply 54March 19, 2018 12:54 AM

It never ends, R54.

by Anonymousreply 55March 19, 2018 12:56 AM

Is he playing a gay character? Because he's doing a naturally good job at it.

by Anonymousreply 56March 19, 2018 1:02 AM

Male lead - British

Female.lead - Australian

Supporting actor (Naveen Andrews) - British

Supporting actor (Daniel Ings)- British

The only female black supporting character - American, hired under affirmative action

by Anonymousreply 57March 19, 2018 1:26 AM

Couldn't agree more R52 . He was a very minor, middling actor in the UK and somehow spun that into fairly significant American fame, I think he's probably much better known now in the U.S. Also don't get the bisexual thing, I know he had a relationship with a woman but it was a long time ago and I do wonder if the bisexuality thing is just to claim a foot in the 'normal' camp so as to not upset the mass audience ( I suspect that of many of the celebrity bisexuals ). I've met him and he's a very nice guy so I don't begrudge his success and glad for the visibility, I just wish I actually enjoyed his work more.

by Anonymousreply 58March 19, 2018 1:42 AM

So how did everybody like it? I just thought it was okay but not something I can see myself watching week after week. I love Alan Cumming (I've both met him and seen him onstage), so I was definitely tuning in with hopes for the best. Not that it was bad, I just thought it was yet another one of CBS's boring, by-the-numbers procedurals and nothing more. (I swear CBS keeps a closet full of preprinted scripts somewhere where production assistants for each show go to grab a script off the shelf each Monday morning and then just fill in the character names.)

And though Cumming's character is gay and married, the two times that we got to see him in tonight's premiere, they greeted each other with a peck on the cheek and a hug, which made them seem more like close friends than spouses. Perhaps CBS is waiting to see if it's a hit before they allow them any lip action.

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2018 2:18 AM

** the two times that we got to see his husband** I meant to say

by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2018 2:19 AM

Soooooooo boring. And I don’t find him charming except when he is introducing Masterpiece Mystery.

by Anonymousreply 61March 19, 2018 3:34 AM

I've been watching Vera, and I find the unprofessionalism of the medical examiner and other characters in this new series to be appalling

by Anonymousreply 62March 19, 2018 3:40 AM

How could his character have been gay and an undercover CIA agent? Wouldn't he just whore around and give away all our secrets?

by Anonymousreply 63March 19, 2018 3:59 AM

R47 America is not the UK

Maleness is a thing here

by Anonymousreply 64March 19, 2018 4:32 AM

You realize there are gay spies, right?

by Anonymousreply 65March 19, 2018 4:37 AM

The only thing I couldn't believe was that Casey Cott was supposed to be a drug dealer.

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2018 6:19 AM

Is he going to commute from Philadelphia to NY every week? And is his husband's bar in NY or Phila?

by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2018 8:57 AM

[quote]Oh OK, Thank you, OP for not supporting your fellow gay man and gay mainstream exposure. Who needs Republicans when there are traitorous gays like you?

r42, not the OP, but if you have bothered to read the thread then you know that Cumming in not gay. Also, OP was quite nice in his opener, he just isn't into this type of show is all.

by Anonymousreply 68March 19, 2018 11:26 AM

[quote]Cumming in not gay.

r68 "Cumming is not gay"? Is that what you're trying to say?

by Anonymousreply 69March 19, 2018 12:45 PM

R47 - the issue isn't the sexuality of the actor, but rather the character.

by Anonymousreply 70March 19, 2018 5:45 PM

Cumming and the show - OK. Bojana Novakovic - boring

by Anonymousreply 71March 19, 2018 9:20 PM

r69, sorry? I'm confused by what you are trying to say. Cumming has made it quite clear that he is bisexual, not gay.

by Anonymousreply 72March 19, 2018 10:04 PM

The point isn't about Cumming, but his character.

by Anonymousreply 73March 19, 2018 11:15 PM

So I just watched the first episode and it felt like I had watched a three-hour movie. They threw everything but the kitchen sink at the audience and it was kinda a mess, with some cute moments. Daniel Ings, who plays his boyfriend, can be cute when fully groomed and photographed properly, right? Right?!

I didn't understand why Riverdale's Kevin signed up for such a small part but then I saw Whoopi and realized everyone and their mother was in this, or at least in the premiere. And damn, I had forgotten just how competent Whoopi can be at acting if she wants to. The mayor freaked out over a serial killer but then they mention a new body with a missing heart at the end of the episode. These procedurals are so bonkers, I just wish they'd embrace that fully.

Also, what does the title of the show have to do with anything? The murders were meticulous and premeditated and even Alan is giving a lecture on context-driven (abnormal) behaviour at the beginning of the episode. They're just running out of titles by this point, aren't they?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 21, 2018 1:09 AM

Alan Cumming rules.

by Anonymousreply 75March 21, 2018 8:48 PM

I wish the characters acted a little more professionally. It takes me out of the story to see them behaving so lackadaisically.

by Anonymousreply 76March 22, 2018 3:07 AM

So far his husband seems more like a friend than anything.

Damn broadcast television.

by Anonymousreply 77March 26, 2018 2:59 PM

I am glad he didn’t get the gay version of Hart to Hart off the ground.

The Hart’s are supposed to be attractive!

Oh, R9 is right. This will be canceled before 13 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2018 3:10 PM

Cumming was hilarious in Web Therapy.

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2018 3:48 PM

Couldn’t get through ten minutes of this dreck.

As soon as they cut to a close-up of some idiot female student all dreamy-eyed at what a luscious hunk of a pussyhound CBS’s latest male lead was, I started to check out.

The lazy writing and his constant smirk-just-below-the-surface expressions had me lunging for the remote.

And R78 is right, the Harts have to be stunningly handsome.

I wonder if Jon Hamm would consider being part of a demonstratively loving gay couple, because he would be stellar as Jonathan Hart.

Let’s get casting, ladies. Who would be the gorgeous soulmate to Jon’s Jonathan?

Instead of the classic Aaron Spelling campfest, it could have a “Tinker, Tailor...” feel to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2018 4:02 PM

Watched the last half of the first episode last week, and this week's was no good. I wn't be watching it again.

by Anonymousreply 81March 26, 2018 4:09 PM

Meh. After last night's episode, I think this series will be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 82March 26, 2018 5:50 PM

R80, I vote for Armie Hammer. Hamm and Hammer would be excellent as a rich, suave, stunning married couple.

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2018 7:17 PM

Then it’s settled, R83!

by Anonymousreply 84March 26, 2018 7:22 PM

Good choice, R83, though I doubt Hammer would be willing to give up his film career to do television right now.

by Anonymousreply 85March 27, 2018 12:09 AM

Instead of a gay "Hart to Hart," I actually think Alan Cumming would have been a great John Steed in an update of "The Avengers" from the 1960s. I'm not sure yet who would be his Mrs. Peel.

As for his female partner in "Instinct," she's attractive but dull. But to be fair, so is this show.

by Anonymousreply 86March 27, 2018 12:13 AM

Lots of hate for this show. I enjoyed the first two eps. It's fun, not bogged down with procedure and honestly, it's easy to follow. The BF should have been cast better since they look like father and son rather than a couple, but what can you do. I'm sure it will be canceled to make way for something stupid.

by Anonymousreply 87March 27, 2018 12:17 AM

We had "Castle" and "Bones". This is the same kind of cutesy, hokey procedural whose only twist on the frau crime drama formula is that one of the two leads is gay.

by Anonymousreply 88March 27, 2018 12:53 AM

Still feel no chemistry between Alan Cummings and Daniel Ings

by Anonymousreply 89April 2, 2018 9:07 PM

It's Lucifer without the interesting back story.

This needs better writers ASAP

by Anonymousreply 90April 2, 2018 9:52 PM

R89, the way they're portrayed so far, you'd swear they were perhaps best friends or maybe brothers, but not a married couple.

by Anonymousreply 91April 3, 2018 2:38 AM

That's exactly how it feels R91

They need to flesh out their history and maybe show them together in a more sexy setting.

by Anonymousreply 92April 3, 2018 3:00 AM

Finally! Alan and his onscreen husband got to kiss and walk away holding hands in tonight's episode. First time watching them that you didn't think they were just good friends and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 93April 9, 2018 12:59 AM

I tried to watch the first two episodes. I would be shocked if it picks up a second season

by Anonymousreply 94April 9, 2018 1:06 AM

Awkward kiss. I wasn’t convinced.

by Anonymousreply 95April 9, 2018 1:26 AM

[quote]I tried to watch the first two episodes. I would be shocked if it picks up a second season

I hate to say it but it's not a good show. It's lacking something, I'm not sure what, but for me it's completely bland. I only keep watching to be supportive both of the show (the first broadcast drama with a gay lead) and for Alan Cumming. If not for those two factors, I would have bailed long before now.

I hope we're both wrong, R94, but I too would be surprised if it survives beyond this season.

by Anonymousreply 96April 9, 2018 1:37 AM

It really is lightweight and he solves the cases with no evidence, merely by "instinct " which may sound good on paper but strains credibility on the small screen.

The acting is subpar and the situations thus far are borderline ludicrous.

The ones playing the female officer and her c.o. are particularly unconvincing.

by Anonymousreply 97April 9, 2018 4:15 AM

Mastairr-piece Mysterry is made poh-ssible by a grahnt frum DOHHH-nuhld end DAIRRR-LEEN SHOIY-ley!

by Anonymousreply 98April 9, 2018 4:18 AM

He should take a look at the programs he introduces and crib a few ideas for his own show.

by Anonymousreply 99April 9, 2018 4:20 AM

Right after he made his name laying the Emcee in he revival of "Cabaret," he did an unintentionally hilariously hypocritical magazine interview where he complained that "people" approached him at the gym, "assuming that I am sexually available just because the character I play in 'Cabaret' is, when I'm not."

Of course the truth then as now is that the skinny whore will gladly spread his ass for anything that moves.

by Anonymousreply 100April 9, 2018 5:29 AM

It's nice enough. Not very demanding entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 101April 9, 2018 5:41 AM

It's a pity Alan Cumming showed up and stole Rupert Everett's career.

by Anonymousreply 102April 14, 2018 8:44 PM

Rupert did it to himself with his awful fucking plastic surgery, he barely looked human.

by Anonymousreply 103April 14, 2018 8:46 PM

I watched a few episodes, I like Alan but I do not like the female lead, the female detective.

by Anonymousreply 104April 14, 2018 8:47 PM

Has there been gay action yet? Or is this one of those shows where the Gay is just asexual?

by Anonymousreply 105April 14, 2018 8:49 PM

I don't know him or watch his stuff, but in clips that I have seen he seems repulsive

by Anonymousreply 106April 14, 2018 8:49 PM

Alan Cumming is a disgrace to the gay "community". He had to flee to the U.S. where being British is "exotic" because he'd burned all his bridges back home.

by Anonymousreply 107April 14, 2018 8:53 PM

He's Scottish not British.

by Anonymousreply 108April 14, 2018 9:15 PM

Scottish people are British

by Anonymousreply 109April 15, 2018 2:09 AM

[quote]He's Scottish not British.

Oh dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 15, 2018 2:14 AM

You could definitely tell last night's episode was supposed to air earlier. According to wikipedia, it's the second in production.

by Anonymousreply 111April 23, 2018 8:37 PM

If feel sorry for his eyebrows. Give ‘em a rest, hon.

by Anonymousreply 112April 23, 2018 8:45 PM

It is most likely cancelled. It was mindless fun. Its Castle without the charm.

by Anonymousreply 113April 23, 2018 8:48 PM

*It's

by Anonymousreply 114April 23, 2018 8:48 PM

There is at least two more episodes scheduled to air. I thought it would’ve paired well with Elementary, which comes back next week.

by Anonymousreply 115April 23, 2018 9:14 PM

Bojana Novakovic -- is she a lesbo? Her social media shows her with women all the time, she's a bit butch, and the only man I can remember that was in her past was Keanu, so possibly it was a PR relationship.

by Anonymousreply 116April 23, 2018 9:33 PM

She dated Jason Segel R116.

by Anonymousreply 117April 23, 2018 11:37 PM

I miss the days when actors with ethnic-sounding names used professional aliases.

by Anonymousreply 118April 25, 2018 3:56 PM

Yeah, it's so much better when people hide their ethnicity!

by Anonymousreply 119April 25, 2018 4:26 PM

Not the point. She can call herself Jane Belgrade for all I care. It’s about pronunciation.

by Anonymousreply 120April 25, 2018 4:47 PM

David A. Gregory is a damn hottie. Looked amazing last night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 30, 2018 7:43 PM

his hair is very fake in this show. maybe it's dyed too dark or something. it's distracting. he wears nice clothes on the show. I do not like the female lead. I have watched it coz there is nothing to watch on tv right now.

by Anonymousreply 122April 30, 2018 7:59 PM

I could without the fake American accent.

by Anonymousreply 123April 30, 2018 9:28 PM

I had this recording all episodes on my dvr but lost interest and deleted the series.

by Anonymousreply 124May 1, 2018 1:25 AM

Is CBS cancelling "Instinct"? It is preempting tomorrow night's episode for another "60 Minutes."

by Anonymousreply 125May 12, 2018 9:23 PM

I hope so. Cummings looks like a poor man's Ratso.

by Anonymousreply 126May 14, 2018 2:59 AM

^Cumming.

by Anonymousreply 127May 14, 2018 3:00 AM

Instinct RENEWED, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 14, 2018 3:07 AM

Hopefully they'll rework the series to make it more watchable. And some more gay PDA

by Anonymousreply 129May 14, 2018 3:08 AM

It's renew ??

I have never seen this series, does it have gay content or is this one of those series where the character is gay but the show doesn't give him a romantic lead or any sex life?

by Anonymousreply 130May 14, 2018 3:13 AM

If you're not watching, why do you care?

by Anonymousreply 131May 14, 2018 4:04 AM

[quote]Hopefully they'll rework the series to make it more watchable. And some more gay PDA.

I almost hate to post this because it's basically calling for people to lose their jobs, but from a creative standpoint, they need to give the show a complete makeover to improve it for season two. First off, Cumming has zero chemistry with his blond co-star, who isn't a bad actress but boring. Also, the husband is useless; they act more like best friends than spouses, no doubt neutered for the comfort of CBS's viewers, the average age of which is 105. Though the network gets props for being the first to do a drama with a gay lead, it's really too bad that it's not on ABC, NBC or Fox, any of which would be much more liberal and fearless in their approach to the characters. And last but not least, they just need better writing in general -- most of the plots are just basic and snooze-inducing, much like all the other shows that air on any other night on CBS (the most boring network on TV in my opinion).

I'm glad they renewed it but please, people, make it better.

by Anonymousreply 132May 14, 2018 4:15 AM

"Though the network gets props for being the first to do a drama with a gay lead, it's really too bad that it's not on ABC, NBC or Fox, any of which would be much more liberal and fearless in their approach to the characters. "

None of those networks are as "fearless" or "liberal" as you want to believe.

by Anonymousreply 133May 14, 2018 4:01 PM

R133, ABC was the first broadcast network to show two gay men in bed together post-coitus on "thirtysomething" back in 1991. They also allowed a torrid sex scene to air (so I heard because I don't watch the show) between two gay men on "How to Get Away with Murder" a couple of seasons ago. NBC aired the first broadcast TV movie to deal with AIDS, "An Early Frost," back in the '80s, "Will & Grace," and the lesbian wedding episode of "Friends," which aired despite causing a mild bit of controversy back in the day (two network affiliates actually refused to air it). The list goes on and on.

No one is suggesting the other networks have a perfect record where it comes to liberal programming (or that CBS has no record at all) but you're being willfully delusional if you think CBS comes anywhere close to either of them.

by Anonymousreply 134May 14, 2018 6:42 PM

Gross.

I don't want to watch him as the lead, so much.

by Anonymousreply 135May 14, 2018 8:47 PM

Wasn't on again last night.

by Anonymousreply 136May 21, 2018 3:18 PM

oh, so they renewed it? well, can he get a better wig please? it's distracting.

I agree, that female lead is boring as fuck.

and many times, he gets info straight away from CIA or something...really not believable.

I like him and will watch, I usually DVR it and fast forward the ads.

by Anonymousreply 137May 21, 2018 3:49 PM

I watch this show, I like it! And now I know I won't have to worry about them putting the two leads together. Castle should not have put the two leads together it was better when she hated him.

by Anonymousreply 138May 31, 2018 12:53 AM

I like this show because it's one story through the entire episode, not like other cop shows where there are two or three stories and you only have minutes to flesh out each character and story.

by Anonymousreply 139May 31, 2018 1:52 PM

NYT picks the 25 best American plays since "Angels in America." Do you agree?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 1, 2018 3:57 AM

Sorry, wrong thread!

by Anonymousreply 141June 1, 2018 3:57 AM

Have to say the last couple episodes really improved the chemistry between Dylan and Andy. Can't wait until next season.

by Anonymousreply 142July 2, 2018 8:40 PM

Returns on June 16, 9PM EST. If anyone actually cares.

by Anonymousreply 143May 28, 2019 7:35 PM

Well I enjoyed it so I'm pleased r143

by Anonymousreply 144May 28, 2019 7:58 PM

Thank you, R143.

by Anonymousreply 145May 28, 2019 10:35 PM

Looking forward to season 2.

by Anonymousreply 146May 28, 2019 11:44 PM

It looks good . Of course always an attractieve female as the real lead ! And when the show continues they will have a relationship of course . No way he wil stay gay . That’s how it will be played .

by Anonymousreply 147May 29, 2019 9:40 AM

Is CBS holding back "Instinct"? It was supposed to return on June 16 but now it is not.

by Anonymousreply 148June 12, 2019 12:39 PM

Bet Cummy hasn't seen a pussy since he fell out his mom's.

by Anonymousreply 149June 12, 2019 12:44 PM

r148, it now says June 30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 12, 2019 12:55 PM

So the show is back, now with hottie Travis Van Winkle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 1, 2019 9:09 PM

I missed the season premier Sunday night because I got home too late. The one show I was looking forward to all week I missed it.

by Anonymousreply 152July 1, 2019 9:50 PM

Damn, this guy was hot in one of last nights episodes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 12, 2019 8:38 PM

I recently stumbled on an old Rafe Spall series "Pete vs. Life and Daniel Ings who plays Cumming's husband was a fox. He's still attractive but he was next level sexy then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 12, 2019 9:01 PM

Last night they ran two eps back to back. I hope that doesn't mean the show is going to be cancelled and they're burning off the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 155August 12, 2019 9:42 PM

He always looks like he doesn't bathe.

by Anonymousreply 156August 12, 2019 10:36 PM

Cancelled.

Instinct will soon be extinct, now that CBS has cancelled the procedural after two seasons.

Series creator Michael Rauch shared the news on Twitter, explaining that following this Sunday’s latest double-pump of episodes, the series finale will land on Aug. 25 (seemingly leaving some episodes unaired). Repeats of NCIS this-and-that will replace the drama on Sunday nights for the remainder of the summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 17, 2019 1:22 PM

I'm honestly surprised it managed a second season, so this isn't a shock.

It was enjoyable for what it was. And they'll probably dump the unaired episodes on All Access.

by Anonymousreply 158August 17, 2019 1:27 PM

He should be in the Eternals. He can play a superhero. He was alright Nightcrawler in X-Men. He's a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 159August 17, 2019 1:30 PM

[quote]Repeats of NCIS this-and-that will replace the drama on Sunday nights for the remainder of the summer.

They talk like it's still mid-July. It's airing tomorrow night, then, in TV terms, there will probably only be 3 Sundays left before the new season starts? They may as well have gone ahead and shown the episodes that will go unaired -- at least they would've been new and not some tired-ass NCIS reruns. But whatever.

That said, though I love Alan Cumming and applauded CBS for taking the leap (first network police drama with a gay lead), I can't say I blame them for canceling it. It simply wasn't very good. He had zero chemistry with his onscreen husband (they seemed more like roommates than husbands) and his female police partner wasn't a particularly exciting presence either, so the whole thing was just kind of meh. I'm glad it existed, however, and hope better shows with gay leads are still to come.

by Anonymousreply 160August 17, 2019 2:05 PM

The cancellation sucks. It was a fun show and of course we won't find out who the Sleeping Beauty killer is.

I agree with R160, no chemistry between a gay couple who's suppose to be together for years.

Andy was too young, they should have cast an older actor.

by Anonymousreply 161August 17, 2019 2:07 PM

R24 Uh, my sitcom made history a year before Will & Grace, which was just riding my coattails.

by Anonymousreply 162August 17, 2019 2:58 PM

They should have made Sherlock on Elementary gay instead. Missed opportunity.

I stopped watching this show after the premiere because I can't with procedurals and I also cringed when his husband was revealed.

by Anonymousreply 163August 17, 2019 3:26 PM

[quote]I also cringed when his husband was revealed.

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 164August 17, 2019 3:45 PM

r164 Like others have said, they have no chemistry. Zero.

by Anonymousreply 165August 17, 2019 3:47 PM

So we're never going to get the adoption storyline completed... great.

by Anonymousreply 166August 17, 2019 4:10 PM

Tonight wasn't the last one: CBS just previewed another episode for next Sunday, though it's being billed as the "season finale."

by Anonymousreply 167August 19, 2019 3:08 AM

I know they haven't promoted this show at all, but imagine promoting the shit out of it and then struggling to break 0.1 in the demo for the season finale, like what happened to SyFy's Krypton. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 168August 19, 2019 3:12 AM

Why was it canceled?

by Anonymousreply 169August 19, 2019 12:48 PM

Too boring to watch, r169.

by Anonymousreply 170August 19, 2019 1:24 PM

I'm glad it got canceled. All the leads were played by non-Americans playing Americans. It's getting tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 171August 19, 2019 1:30 PM

I wanted to like it but couldn't. Just too ridiculous in too many ways.

Daniel Ings was super cute in the series Scrotal Recall/Love Sick on Netflix. He also played Prince Phillip's best friend on The Crown, the one whose wife divorced him.

by Anonymousreply 172August 19, 2019 2:45 PM

Daniel Ings is a gorgeous man. Too bad he was wasted here.

by Anonymousreply 173August 19, 2019 9:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!