Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HBO Gunpowder

What do we think?

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 12:16 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 1December 23, 2017 11:16 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2018 3:34 AM

Kit Harington is nice to look at but I don't like his acting

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2018 3:41 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2018 3:42 AM

WW for R4!!!

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2018 3:47 AM

I'm thinking of watching this and came here to see what everyone thinks. Oh well....

by Anonymousreply 6January 5, 2018 11:06 PM

Saw it, and it failed to grab my attention. Saw it again because I wanted to like it and I do love a good historical drama and I'm interested in King James I because he was possibly gay... but somehow in spite of no obvious flaws it failed to hold my interest.

Liv Tyler's trout pout was totally out of place in a historical show, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 7January 5, 2018 11:18 PM

The long beginning scene was great, and very suspenseful. But the subsequent scene where they pressed the old woman (to death?) with weights just went on forever, and I have absolutely zero interest in watching historical torture scenes. I gave up during it and didn't see what happened.

I fucking hate to watch people get tortured.

by Anonymousreply 8January 5, 2018 11:22 PM

Hasn't Kit said months ago that he's done with historical shit after this show? So that's hardly a ringing endorsement from the show's lead.

by Anonymousreply 9January 5, 2018 11:24 PM

At this point the only thing that could get me to watch a Kit Harington movie is if he does full nudity.

by Anonymousreply 10January 5, 2018 11:44 PM

R9, I doubt he was being despairing of the show. He's not just the lead but its co-creator. He and his best friend pitched the idea and are producers. It was well received on the BBC, but I gather American audiences were bored. I really want to watch it but I too am turned off by graphic torture. Couldn't watch the Theon/Reek scenes in GoT, either. Now that the holidays are over, I might give it a shot and just skip the vicious parts.

I don't think it would be a bad thing for Kit to leave the sword playing alone for a while if he wants to move beyond Jon Snow. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Dolan's The Death and Life of John F. Donovan. And R10, I agree that seeing him do nudity would be a big motivator to get me into a movie theatre.

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2018 12:09 AM

Needs dragons!

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2018 12:23 AM

It was very well done and historically accurate. But having said that I just couldn't get all upset about the issue. Catholics persecuted and war between protestants and Catholics. I just didn't care, ya know? Anyway it was very well acted too. And Kit Harington played a sort of variation of Jon Snow. He looked good, didn't wear all those heavy furs and capes since he wasn't at Winterfell, and I saw all three episodes. Good god it was violent and gory. Seriously gruesome. I guess that's what they did to people back in the day, ya know? Look R6. If you like historical movies you'll like this. If you like shows like The Tudors, Vikings, Wolf Hall, etc you'll like this. it's well produced, good production values, well written well acted, etc. but I found it sort of boring.

by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2018 12:31 AM

I do not like midget leading man

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2018 12:45 AM

He is rather short isn't he? It's off putting.

by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2018 12:49 AM

The torture wasn't particularly graphic and a long way from what really happened, it was really much worse.

The script wasn't even close to being historically accurate though. It'd have been tediously boring if it was.

I'd recommend it overall. Anything is better than another Super Hero movie/show.

by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2018 1:07 AM

A snore

by Anonymousreply 17January 6, 2018 1:43 AM

[quote] Anything is better than another Super Hero movie/show.

Yes, those are your only two choices. "Gunpowder" or another superhero movie.

by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2018 1:45 AM

[quote]I do not like midget leading man

Kit Harington is 5′ 8″. That's about average height. How is he a midget?

by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2018 1:48 AM

[quote] Kit Harington is 5′ 8″. That's about average height.

Is that what you tell yourself, to comfort yourself? That's so sweet!

by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2018 1:56 AM

Yeah, sure he's 5'8". And Billy Joe Armstrong is 5'5" (when he wears a 4" tall hat)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2018 2:10 AM

He’s 5 5 if he’s a day.

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2018 2:17 AM

Kit has admitted as much himself - he says he's 5'6" in interviews. I guess when he's wearing boots it might give him an inch, but people who've met him have posted his height on the internet. I still don't see that as midget status. He's hot enough to cancel out any shortcomings.

by Anonymousreply 23January 6, 2018 3:12 AM

Thank you for the reviews! I won't be watching as I don't like all the torture stuff either. There's plenty of other shows to watch.

by Anonymousreply 24January 6, 2018 4:25 PM

Looks like someone really likes his booze

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2018 9:17 PM

He looks drugged in that video, not just drunk. Maybe he got roofied.

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2018 10:18 PM

Tee many martoonis.

by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2018 10:19 PM

He is in NYC with his girlfriend/fiancee' Rose Leslie. Wonder where she was . Looks like Kit suffers from "Short man Syndrome" and get belligerent when drunk. Not an attractive look.

by Anonymousreply 28January 6, 2018 11:35 PM

Dude just wanted to play some pool.

The guy that Kit is getting all handsy with in the green jacket is apparently Rose's brother, R28, so I guess she stayed at home. I'm pretty sure she has an apartment here while she's filming her show. I know they both just got back from holiday in Sri Lanka.

by Anonymousreply 29January 7, 2018 3:36 AM

Yeah. I noticied kit being hands with that man.

by Anonymousreply 30January 7, 2018 3:45 AM

OP, if you're still interested, I started watching this yesterday and I would recommend it. I don't like the grisly torture stuff either, but as soon as it started I just skipped over the execution scenes. The rest of the story has not been as graphic so far. It is a lush production, and some really wonderful cinematography/lighting choices. I would agree that it was well acted, but obviously the director understood who was really the selling point of this series as every framed close-up of Mr. Harington's face is beautifully shot. Like, you can count his fucking eyelashes. He's not the only pretty one, either. Edward Holcroft is dreamy.

Getting ready to watch the final installment, but I think this definitely could have been done in a two hour movie, instead of a three-parter.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2018 11:57 PM

harrington does zero for me.

ZERO!!!

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2018 2:16 AM

I think he has a great face, and he has a great body, at least it looked good in that terrible Pompeii movie. But he is SO fucking short. Really. it just ruins it for me.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2018 3:25 AM

If only the miniseries had had more drawn-out explicit torture scenes! Everyone loves them.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2018 3:27 AM

he's doing a movie with Dolan that is contemporary, but he better be careful. or else he'll turn into Orlando Bloom. Orlando did the Lord of the Ring franchise. That's what made people notice him. Then he did the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. He did that one movie with Ridley Scott about Jerusalem with Liam Neeson and Jeremy Irons, and it was about the crusades. He's done a few other movies but no one can remember them. And now no one remembers him either. He's a complete loser. And he's a drunk and a druggie. Big time. Life's a party. Kit is smart, he's talented, and he is ambitious to be producing and writing etc. Good for him. But he isn't going to be very successful Post game of Thrones unless he gets way from these period pieces. I hear he was very good in his play recently.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2018 3:33 AM

I'm definitely looking forward to the Dolan movie. To be honest, I think Kit should do a comedy next. He was hilarious in 7 Days of Hell. I was surprised he had such a knack for it but damn, would love to see him play a complete stoner character.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2018 3:54 AM

Have you ever seen Kit Harington with short hair and no beard or facial hair at all? He's very plain looking and not much at all.

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2018 12:50 PM

He was hardly hideous in his youth. Actually, I would not call that plain at all. No white boy with lips like that is ever "plain". I see men getting praised on here all the time who are completely generic and boring to look at it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 12:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!