Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Call The Midwife - New Season and Christmas Special

Can't wait to see it! I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2018 11:51 AM

I do love Dr Turner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 20, 2017 11:15 PM

It is a great series and I am very glad PBS shows it. It is the sort series that could not make it on regular American TV because it is too well-written and acted and free of vulgarity to make it lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2017 2:35 AM

I’m from the U.K. and I don’t watch this show, but everyone raves about it. I know Judy Parfitt is in it and I was sat opposite her on the underground last year trying to work out if I knew her in real life then realised who she was!

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2017 2:41 AM

It's a really quirky mix. Part of it is very old fashioned, almost in a Touched By An Angel way, but part of it also hits hard at things like poverty, women's rights, and the like.

I also think it's captured a realistic look at religious life. I am by no means a pro-Catholic person, but I will concede that this has shown me some humanity in an institution I thought was purely evil and nonsensical.

I'm also not even remotely anti-abortion (will always be pro-choice), but the sorrow that SIster Julienne had when she cared for a living baby that the medical team was literally discarding made me think of that issue in a less black-and-white way than I had before.

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2017 4:09 PM

R4 - The show isn't about Roman Catholic nuns. It's about an Anglican order of nuns.

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2017 4:20 PM

Holy shit!

I knew I recognized the one older lady in the Christmas episode but I couldn't place her. Could kind of place her voice.

It was Angie Watts from EastEnders!

by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2017 1:35 AM

Here's Sister Monica Joan before she became a nun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2017 1:43 AM

The Christmas Special is stupid. When you see the baby in the briefcase, you'll know what I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2017 1:44 AM

Yeah, that was hard to believe, R8, although the writer said it happened to one of their midwives (albeit in a much shorter time frame).

by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2017 1:45 AM

[quote]It was Angie Watts from EastEnders!

I had to look her up. I kept thinking "I know her from somewhere" but I couldn't place her.

And you know that Fred the handyman was on EastEnders for a long time as Minty. And of course his wife played the lesbian wife in Shameless.

by Anonymousreply 10December 28, 2017 1:46 AM

And here's Sister Monica Joan at her interview to become a Sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2017 1:49 AM

The lesbians have left the show.

by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2017 1:50 AM

Yes, they did. I think the redhead is doing some other show.

I kind of miss Chummy though I think there was some kind of falling out there with producers. But none of the original midwives are there except Trixie. And Sheilagh, though she was Sister Bernadette. (So cute that the fans of her romance called her and the doctor Turnadette.)

by Anonymousreply 13December 28, 2017 1:55 AM

Trixie needs her own show!!

by Anonymousreply 14December 28, 2017 2:02 AM

She's probably getting one after Midwife ends.

They've got two more seasons and then I assume it's done.

by Anonymousreply 15December 28, 2017 11:52 AM

Aww....apparently Trixie and The Hot Minister are dating each other in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 29, 2017 1:59 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 29, 2017 2:05 PM

At first, I thought the hot minister was gay. Why does he have such affected speech?

by Anonymousreply 18December 29, 2017 2:07 PM

he's not gay

he's British

by Anonymousreply 19December 29, 2017 2:09 PM

I think I’m done. The red headed nurse with her lesbian secret and the grumpy nun who died were the only reasons to still watch this show.

And I cannot stand Shelagh.

by Anonymousreply 20December 29, 2017 5:20 PM

I like them enough to watch to the end, but I don't want them to drag it out too much more.

There's a little story left - namely, what happens when places like Nonnatus House go away, and what will happen to the nuns. The Pill is about to take hold and change everything.

by Anonymousreply 21December 29, 2017 6:07 PM

In 2018, they will introduce a black, Caribbean midwife.

by Anonymousreply 22December 29, 2017 7:07 PM

R18, you are right...every time the minister speaks, one of Trixie’s 👜 falls right out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 23December 29, 2017 10:04 PM

Well, apparently every time Trixie speaks, his dick goes INTO her mouth.

Unless she's bearding for him. And I wouldn't think the Brits give two fucks about that.

by Anonymousreply 24December 31, 2017 2:19 AM

They do if they have Hollywood aspirations.

by Anonymousreply 25December 31, 2017 2:27 AM

He needs to aspire into my no no hole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 31, 2017 2:10 PM

I have to say, though, I think that the minister garb and/or the 60s hairdo (slicked back) is the most flattering for him. He often looks far more handsome on the show than in personal appearances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 31, 2017 2:11 PM

He does make quite the dishy vicar.

by Anonymousreply 28December 31, 2017 2:15 PM

But when he speaks, 10 Prada purses fall out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 29December 31, 2017 2:18 PM

I don't hear that, R29, but YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 30December 31, 2017 2:35 PM

This series is sugary and badly acted. It's shhhhhhocking!

by Anonymousreply 31December 31, 2017 2:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 31, 2017 2:58 PM

Was Trixie hiding a baby bump on the show? I hadn’t noticed.

by Anonymousreply 33December 31, 2017 4:45 PM

I think she must have left early in this season. She was on the Christmas special though I did notice, come to think of it, that they didn't show her in many long shits,

by Anonymousreply 34December 31, 2017 7:45 PM

Shots! Long shots.

by Anonymousreply 35December 31, 2017 7:45 PM

The episode that focused on all of the nuns and nurses each taking a long shit really killed the show for me. And Judy Parfitt went way OTT in her scenes.

by Anonymousreply 36December 31, 2017 9:10 PM

The ratings would shoot through the roof if the show just had a bit more COCK.

by Anonymousreply 37January 1, 2018 3:52 PM

I do like Trixie's new boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 38January 3, 2018 2:24 PM

fictional new bf, not the real new bf who's the minister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 3, 2018 2:25 PM

Helen George (Trixie) and Jack Ashton (Dishy Vicar) were in relationships with other actors when they were coupled up on Midwife. Helen divorced her husband and Jack dumped his girlfriend.

They've also both done Strictly Come Dancing - Helen got to the final 6 in 2015 and was better than many finalists from other years and Jack danced as part of a Children In Need special. (See 6:15 in on the linked video)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 3, 2018 2:57 PM

LOL that you called Jack's character "Dishy Vicar."

by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2018 4:28 PM

Trixie’s fictional bf at r39 is smelling 🍪 🍪 🍪.

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2018 12:32 AM

A nice article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 9, 2018 9:51 PM

They have a new midwife and she's (((((gasp))))) a woman of color!

by Anonymousreply 44January 11, 2018 11:03 PM

British tv is required to put POC in all their shows now. They've been criticized by British POC actors who have to come to America to get jobs.

by Anonymousreply 45January 11, 2018 11:18 PM

[quote]British tv is required to put POC in all their shows now.

Non-diversity was a huge issue in Midsomer Murders. The producers argued that they were just representing small, English country towns. Then someone asked why the sidekick cop couldn't be black? So they started putting black people in as restaurant and bookstore owners.

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2018 11:22 PM

I don't understand why they delay Call The Midwife here in the States. It should run at the same time it does in the UK,

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2018 7:41 PM

r47 In case you haven't noticed, PBS does that with ALL British shows.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2018 1:50 AM

PBS freely admitted they held broadcasting of Downton Abbey until January because that was their slowest month ratings wise and since it was such a hugely popular show, they could fundraise off of it.

I'm not happy that PBS would do that. Especially with shows that were co-produced with American companies. We should be able to view the show immediately after the British view it.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2018 11:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!