Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The sordid final years of Sal Mineo

From Wikipedia:

"Mineo was baffled by his sudden loss of popularity, later saying, "One minute it seemed I had more movie offers than I could handle; the next, no one wanted me".

Mineo met actress Jill Haworth at the set of the film Exodus, where they played young lovers... Mineo and Haworth were together on-and-off for many years, even getting engaged to be married at one point, though she canceled the engagement when she became aware of an affair Sal was having with Bobby Sherman. They did remain very close friends until Mineo's death.

Mineo expressed disapproval of Haworth's brief relationship with the much older television producer Aaron Spelling. Haworth was 20 and Spelling was 42. One night when Mineo found Haworth and Spelling at a private Beverly Hills nightclub, he walked up and punched Spelling in the face, yelling, "Do you know how old she is? What are you doing with her at your age?"

In a 1972 interview with Boze Hadleigh, Mineo discussed his bisexuality. At the time of his death, he was in a six-year relationship and was living with male actor Courtney Burr III.

Michael G. Michaud wrote a biography of Mineo with the majority of information coming from Haworth and Burr. In his book, Michaud claimed that Mineo had sexual relations with then teen idol Bobby Sherman. He claimed Mineo never had any sexual relations with either James Dean or Don Johnson. Johnson and Mineo had been roommates for a time and became friends. Mineo was also close friends with David Cassidy, another teen idol.

Murder

By 1976, Mineo's career had begun to turn around. While playing the role of a bisexual burglar in a series of stage performances of the comedy P.S. Your Cat Is Dead in San Francisco, Mineo received substantial publicity from many positive reviews and he moved to Los Angeles along with the play.

Mineo was arriving home after a rehearsal on February 12, 1976, when he was stabbed to death in the alley behind his apartment building near the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, California. Mineo was stabbed just once, not repeatedly as first reported, but the knife blade struck his heart, leading to immediate and fatal internal bleeding. His remains were interred in the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, New York.

In March 1979, pizza deliveryman Lionel Ray Williams was sentenced to 57 years in prison for killing Mineo and for ten robberies in the same area. Although considerable confusion existed as to what witnesses had seen in the darkness the night Mineo was murdered, Williams claimed to have had no idea who Mineo was. Corrections officers later said they had overheard Williams admitting to the stabbing. Williams was defended by Mort Herbert."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462December 22, 2017 3:18 PM

Hunty, who is this?

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2017 4:55 PM

I first noticed him in Aladdin (1958). It was also my introduction to Anna Maria Alberghetti and Basil Rathbone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2017 5:05 PM

Is this photo the real uncropped version? It’s hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2017 5:07 PM

Aaron Spelling is gay?

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2017 5:12 PM

Gurl was not bi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2017 5:12 PM

R3 photo looks wonky to me.

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2017 5:13 PM

O tempora, o mores, r5.

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2017 5:13 PM

Bi? Puh-leeze.

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2017 5:14 PM

I had always heard his murder was a hate crime. I guess not. Sounds pretty random. Scumbag on the streets of Hollywood. Poor Sal - wrong place, wrong time.

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2017 5:16 PM

Yum...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2017 5:18 PM

Poor Don Johnson was raped in 'Fortune and Men's Eyes' (which Sal directed). I think they had an affair at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2017 5:19 PM

Celebs couldn't be safe on the streets back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2017 5:28 PM

He was so worn out and tired by the time he died. He probably had the AIDS by then.

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2017 5:36 PM

How was this bobby Sherman a teen idol, he's odd looking. The 70's were a different era I guess.

by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2017 5:42 PM

That photo R3 is not real. Mineo wasn't known for a generous endowment.

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2017 5:44 PM

OMG! He had sex with Bobby Sherman??? I have to revisit my teen years now

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2017 6:00 PM

Mineo was the model for The New Adam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2017 6:03 PM

He was sexy as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2017 6:09 PM

R14, Bobby Sherman was in a popular TV series back then, and had a decent voice. I believe he's now become a cop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2017 6:15 PM

I certainly would have, if I had the chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2017 6:17 PM

Sal got hummers from the chorus boys in KING AND I

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2017 6:19 PM

Bobby loves Julie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2017 6:20 PM

R1 - they don't have google where you are?

by Anonymousreply 23December 9, 2017 6:48 PM

Sal had a faux macho Italian stallion thing going on and that is the only reason he might be considered bisexual. He was a stud and a whore his whole life. If I on my had a time machine . . .

by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2017 6:49 PM

I've read the biography, and he did have sex with women into the early 70s, from what I recall. He was doing some movie and had sex on a balcony with an actress dressed as a nun. I think the story was related by Courtney Burr? I don't remember exactly.

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2017 6:52 PM

Bobby had a bulge that sometimes appeared and sometimes not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 9, 2017 6:59 PM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2017 7:00 PM

More random (?) murder on the LA streets in the 70s:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2017 7:07 PM

I once read that Sal, Brandon de Wilde and James MacArthur had a love triangle. Anybody now about this?

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2017 7:13 PM

Where did his murder take place, exactly? I heard it was in a carport near La Cienega and Holloway. That would make it West Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2017 7:17 PM

[quote]How was this bobby Sherman a teen idol, he's odd looking. The 70's were a different era I guess.

Bobby Sherman was very handsome and sexy when he was just starting out. See vid at 0:30

Then the late 1960s and the 70s got a hold of him with the long hair and bell-bottoms....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 9, 2017 7:20 PM

[quote]At the time of his death, he was in a six-year relationship and was living with male actor Courtney Burr III.

And that's supposed to be sordid?

by Anonymousreply 32December 9, 2017 7:23 PM

Hey, R13. How about eating some more of that shit you live on and letting the fat claim what's left of your heart.

No one in the US had "AIDS" when Mineo died. You're a disgusting piece of what you eat.

Die.

by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2017 7:28 PM

[quote]Where did his murder take place, exactly?

He was killed in WeHo. The address is 8563 Holloway Drive

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2017 7:41 PM

A lot of weird random stabbings, in the 70s, for actors

That story at r12 is weird as fuck

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2017 7:46 PM

Bobby Sherman was married at least twice and had some kids, so accusing him of having sex with Sal Mineo is kind of a stretch, don't ya think?

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2017 7:49 PM

I seriously lusted for Mineo and Bobby Sherman back in those days. I only watched "7 Brides For 7 Brothers" just to get a look at Bobby Sherman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2017 7:59 PM

Ya no

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2017 8:00 PM

Sorry, I misquoted the name of Sherman's show. It was "Here Comes The Brides".

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2017 8:01 PM

Joan Blondell was the best thing about that show.

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2017 8:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2017 8:04 PM

[quote]No one in the US had "AIDS" when Mineo died. You're a disgusting piece of what you eat.

Oh honey. They found HIV in blood samples of a sailor who died in 1969. The virus was around for a while before gay men started getting infected.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2017 8:06 PM

I've never heard any gay rumors about Bobby Sherman. And he and the "sordid" Sal Mineo had an affair? I find that hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2017 8:09 PM

Mineo started out as Sherman's mentor and helped him to get an agent. If they eventually became lovers that's news to me.

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2017 8:13 PM

[quote]Mineo started out as Sherman's mentor and helped him to get an agent. If they eventually became lovers that's news to me.

During that era of show biz "gay mentors" wanted favors. Nothing strange about that, or that Sherman went on to marry and raise a family.

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2017 8:17 PM

R42 The few people how contracted HIV during the early to mid 1970s died with it and didn't spread it around. Researchers believe the HIV virus strain that triggered to outbreak first began to infect the US gay circles around 1978-1979, and its symptoms were gradually appearing around 1980s-1981.

by Anonymousreply 46December 9, 2017 8:18 PM

Bobby Sherman has never denied the rumors to the best of my knowledge. I knew him, but I was just a kid. The main thing that I remember was that he had a scale model of Disneyland in his back yard.

by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2017 8:19 PM

If you read the biography, it still doesn't become any more (or less) believable that they slept together. What you learn is that Mineo quickly became obsessed with Sherman and had him over to stay all the time, mentored him, took him on trips, etc., and that Sal's friends were very suspicious of the poor little dolt. I think they thought Sherman was taking advantage of him, whereas it could just as easily have been the other way around. We only have Jill Haworth's word for what happened between them.

by Anonymousreply 48December 9, 2017 8:21 PM

[quote] he had a scale model of Disneyland in his back yard.

Well, that sounds a little...pervy

by Anonymousreply 49December 9, 2017 8:21 PM

Well, he built it himself. He also built one when he was a kid. It's weird, but not pervy.

I was thinking of the other recent Sherman mention, in the thread about Marlon Brando and Jill Banner. For a flash-in-the-pan teen idol, he got to hang around with some interesting Hollywood icons, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 50December 9, 2017 8:23 PM

Actually, r46, it was actually around 1976 that it began to spread. It's believed that all the traveling to and from the US for the bicentennial celebrations accelerated the spread. By 1977, many many men were unknowingly infected.

by Anonymousreply 51December 9, 2017 8:23 PM

Joan Blondell was the best thing about a lot of the shows she was in.

by Anonymousreply 52December 9, 2017 8:25 PM

"Well, he built it himself. He also built one when he was a kid. It's weird, but not pervy."

It's not really weird. It was obviously a hobby of his. Some guys build models of ships. Building a model of Disneyland sounds like it would have taken a lot of work and effort. He probably just enjoyed doing it.

I still think the idea of an affair between Bobby Sherman and Sal Mineo is far fetched. Oh, it makes delicious gossip. But did it really happen? I think it's rather doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 53December 9, 2017 8:29 PM

I'd hear the Bobby Sherman stories before.

He was very cute.

by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2017 8:30 PM

True, R53. It takes a lot of skill, I'm sure. I just think it's weird when adults are that into Disneyland. No offense to anyone here who is, but that's my feeling about it.

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2017 8:31 PM

Wait, what?? BOBBY SHERMAN???? How had I not heard this before? First album I ever bought and I had a crush on him as a young thing. It may have lasted all of 6 months, but still, this is blowing my mind.

And I agree, other than being murdered in front of his home, how is any of this sordid?

by Anonymousreply 56December 9, 2017 8:39 PM

R55, it wouldn't be quite so weird if you were born in 1943 and were 12 when it opened. A huge difference from the Gay guys that are into everything Disney now.

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2017 8:41 PM

I see what you're saying, R57. OK.

I can't think of a reason why Jill Haworth would have made up the vivid description of the scene she walked in on between Sal and Bobby ("They were in our bed ... Sal was the aggressor."), so that's why I lean toward believing it happened.

But back to the sordid final years. Sal did seem to have a life that was entirely centered on (1) procuring sex with whomever, wherever, (2) talking and thinking about sex, and (3) seeking funding for his theatrical projects both here and in England, with increasing desperation and decreasing success. He had no money left, he lived in squalor much of the time, and no one really knew who he was anymore. I think that's pretty sad and sordid. Hollywood had long since turned its back on him.

Seems like he was blackballed, in fact. He supposedly campaigned for the Al Pacino part in "The Godfather," but they wouldn't even see him. (There are some homophobic quotes in the book from... maybe Brando? Can't remember,) That's a shame to me, because he really looked the part and probably would have done a great job.

by Anonymousreply 58December 9, 2017 8:51 PM

"Being into Disney" is very frauish, like being into Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 59December 9, 2017 8:53 PM

Bobby Sherman and his 1/5 scale model of Disneyland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 9, 2017 10:23 PM

Jill Haworth played Sally Bowles in the original production of Cabaret. Her performance was the one thing considered substandard by the critics at the time and Hal Prince was widely criticized for not replacing her. But he loved her performance and I have met several people over the years who saw her in the role and thought she was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 61December 9, 2017 11:15 PM

That's rather impressive work, R60. People don't realize how difficult it is to make something even half-way decent from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 62December 9, 2017 11:19 PM

From one of Roddy McDowall's home movies. Sal and Bobby first appear at 0:22

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2017 11:42 PM

That's not Bobby, R63. Are you blind?

by Anonymousreply 64December 10, 2017 12:04 AM

That's not Bobby Sherman. There's been speculation who it is since these movies were made public, but I have no idea if any conclusion has been reached. Sherman had distinctive bone structure and dark hair.

by Anonymousreply 65December 10, 2017 12:05 AM

Why haven't these movies been annotated and some music added? It would make them much more enjoyable and informative.

Juliet mills looks lovely at the end.

by Anonymousreply 66December 10, 2017 12:09 AM

And why should anybody believe Jill Haworth? A lot of lies get told about dead celebrities. Maybe she made up the story to make Sal Mineo look bad, taking advantage of his young "protege." Anyway, a lot of shit gets said about dead famous people and a lot of it is total crap. I don't believe this Bobby Sherman story. Her "vivid description" makes me even more inclined to believe that it's fiction.

by Anonymousreply 67December 10, 2017 12:11 AM

It's Bobby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 10, 2017 12:12 AM

I'm sorry. I've been a devoted fan of Bobby since 8 too and this is the first I've heard of his carousing with men. And I've searched.

The allegations of Bobby liking the sausage are not true. Come on, girls, let's leave this little den of lies.

by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2017 12:14 AM

R69, I actually read some years ago, on a gossip message board, some poster's story that B.S. used to frequent gay bars in San Francisco and openly admitted it was him when people would say, "You look like Bobby Sherman." I seriously doubt the veracity of that; it was probably some guy who did just look like him but liked to mess with people. On the other hand, that goes to show you that there's not nothing out there about the issue; I've seen speculation here and there, and some people who didn't know about his marriages have assumed he was gay.

Personally, I don't think he is. He seems to have dated a lot of women, and married two, the last time just 10 or so years ago.

by Anonymousreply 70December 10, 2017 12:23 AM

Look, if Sal Mineo and Bobby Sherman hung out together a lot, it's not much of a stretch of the imagination to believe they fooled around together, too.

by Anonymousreply 71December 10, 2017 12:26 AM

A delightful turn on What's My Line?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 10, 2017 12:28 AM

Hmmm, who was this bulging rascal from Roddy's house party?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 10, 2017 12:30 AM

He may have been cute when young but we know he would have turned into another Ernest Borgnine when he hit middle-age.

by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2017 12:32 AM

Met him at a party long after his teen idol days. He had become an EMT actually.

by Anonymousreply 75December 10, 2017 12:39 AM

^ What? an Emergency Medical Technician?

by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2017 12:53 AM

Hmmm, Christopher Plummer is looking at Jack Warden like he's a juicy sirloin steak near the end of Roddy's film..........

by Anonymousreply 77December 10, 2017 12:54 AM

[quote] During that era of show biz "gay mentors" wanted favors. Nothing strange about that,

If you say so, Mr. Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 78December 10, 2017 1:01 AM

Over the years there have been many stories about Bobby Sherman on DL.

by Anonymousreply 79December 10, 2017 1:07 AM

Who's the beautiful man with Juliet Mills at the end of Roddy's home movie?

by Anonymousreply 80December 10, 2017 1:09 AM

^ Maxwell Caulfield??

by Anonymousreply 81December 10, 2017 1:12 AM

They were taking pics of 17 y/o boys like that back then?

by Anonymousreply 82December 10, 2017 1:14 AM

Robert Walker Jr. R80

by Anonymousreply 83December 10, 2017 1:14 AM

Ambulance personell, R76.

by Anonymousreply 84December 10, 2017 1:16 AM

^ Ah thank you.

It's kinda sad when a movie star turns into an ordinary person.

by Anonymousreply 85December 10, 2017 1:18 AM

Yeah but he seemed happy, good attitude about it all. Big star and then time goes on, especially for teen idol. At least he wasn't trying to be hip or overgrown teen -- and he was invited to a rather upscale party so he still had his show biz friends. I liked him.

by Anonymousreply 86December 10, 2017 1:26 AM

R68, even before seeing that pic, I thought Sherman was a homely guy.

by Anonymousreply 87December 10, 2017 1:33 AM

If true, that would mean 2 of the 3 brothers on "Here Come The Brides" hustled gay men to advance their careers. David Soul admitted that when he was just starting out, he prostituted himself to get ahead.

by Anonymousreply 88December 10, 2017 1:41 AM

Don't give up on us, baby

by Anonymousreply 89December 10, 2017 2:55 AM

I see that Robert Walker, Jr. is now 77 and still working.

by Anonymousreply 90December 10, 2017 3:07 AM

Didn't Soul have at least one domestic abuse charge?

R73, I wonder if that cutie is McDowall 's (sp?) boyfriend who makes occasional appearances in those movies. They are so enjoyable, and sad too.

by Anonymousreply 91December 10, 2017 3:47 AM

Robert Walker Jr is interviewed at length in Jean Stein’s West of Eden in the section about his mother Jennifer Jones. Great book by the way for anyone interested in Hollywood or Los Angeles history. Robert was a free spirit who, for a time in the mid 70s lived a nude lifestyle up in some canyon with his wife. Eventually he had 7 kids. He isn’t known for much acting wise other than his appearance in an episode of the original Star Trek but a biography of him would be interesting given all the people he was friends with.

by Anonymousreply 92December 10, 2017 4:17 AM

Yes, David Soul's second wife (who was Bobby Sherman's first wife! WTF) had him arrested for beating her. They stayed together for a while and he claimed to be reformed, but they ultimately divorced.

I wonder how Soul and the first wife met, because the show the two men were on had been over for a long time by the time the wife-swap happened.

by Anonymousreply 93December 10, 2017 4:46 AM

[quote] Anna Maria Alberghetti

Anna Maria Alberghetti in a taxi, honey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 10, 2017 6:43 AM

[quote]No one in the US had "AIDS" when Mineo died. You're a disgusting piece of what you eat

Yes the did, they just didn't know it. Clearly the mid to late 70s were prime time to be infected with AIDS and there are lots of isolated cases of pre-AIDS conditions like KS that are in gay men and certainly AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 95December 10, 2017 10:51 AM

Don't cry for Bobby Sherman. He was actually quite wealthy by the time he retired. Doing EMT work was something he wanted to do, not something that he had to do. He really did a lot to support the work. At the time it was considered a shit job and basically the "women's work" among fire departments and the police.

by Anonymousreply 96December 10, 2017 11:34 AM

[quote]Bobby Sherman was married at least twice and had some kids, so accusing him of having sex with Sal Mineo is kind of a stretch, don't ya think?

1. Plenty of gay men married and had kids, especially in Hollywood.

2. “Accusing” implies a crime. Having sex with sweet Sal would have been a privilege. Are you sure you’re in the right place, dear?

by Anonymousreply 97December 10, 2017 1:49 PM

Didn't Mineo have an affair with Charlton Heston?

by Anonymousreply 98December 10, 2017 2:41 PM

r73's man in the well-filled baby blue speedo is none other than Christopher Plummer! He's seen fully clothed at the beginning of that home movie.

Sal's bf at :22" it's been speculated here on earlier DL threads that it's that hottie Beach Boy brother.....Dennis? But maybe that's just cause of the striped short sleeved Beach Boy shirt.

Yes! Why hasn't someone smart annotated all of Roddy's films with IDs of who each of those fabulous people are who appear in them??

by Anonymousreply 99December 10, 2017 2:50 PM

[quote]But did it really happen? I think it's rather doubtful.

Oh, well, then that settles it.

by Anonymousreply 100December 10, 2017 3:54 PM

R63 Jesus Christ, Bobby Sherman looks BEAUTIFUL in that video.

Dominick Dunne, less so . . .

by Anonymousreply 101December 10, 2017 3:59 PM

Watching some of those Roddy McDowell movies, what I took away is how average looking most of the actors were. Sure, Robert Wagner was very handsome, but other than that, the men and women were nothing special. Even Rock was looking a bit haggard. Goes to show that Hollywood has pretty much always been an illusion, with average looking people made beautiful with strategic lighting and makeup.

by Anonymousreply 102December 10, 2017 4:08 PM

Sal Mineo was such a hot italian twink. A sweet little Adonis.

by Anonymousreply 103December 10, 2017 4:10 PM

I don't think having sex with "sweet" Sal would have been a "privilege.' Whoever had sex with him would have been just one out of many. And I don't think Bobby Sherman was his lover, although no doubt Mineo had the hots for him.

by Anonymousreply 104December 10, 2017 4:40 PM

Kansas is a pre-AIDS condition?

by Anonymousreply 105December 10, 2017 4:43 PM

The Bobby Sherman frau is quite attached to her paramour's imaginary number zero on the Kinsey scale.

by Anonymousreply 106December 10, 2017 4:45 PM

R102 I thought the exact opposite. Jane Fonda for example was extraordinarily beautiful. The character actors and behind the scenes people are average. But the stars look like movie stars, strikingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 107December 10, 2017 5:10 PM

yes, young Jane Fonda was even more stunning that i thought

by Anonymousreply 108December 10, 2017 5:11 PM

R103 He was Sicilian.

He pronounced his surname as 'mi-NEY-o' rather than 'minney-O'

by Anonymousreply 109December 10, 2017 5:14 PM

I have a newsflash for R109: sicilians ARE italians.

by Anonymousreply 110December 10, 2017 5:16 PM

The correct Italian pronunciaton is in fact 'mi-NEY-o'

by Anonymousreply 111December 10, 2017 5:18 PM

Oh yeah, Jane Fonda did look good. Forgot about her. But I didn't think that most of them looked any better or worse than the average nice looking people you pass on the street every day.

by Anonymousreply 112December 10, 2017 5:18 PM

[quote]sicilians ARE italians.

or, as the milanese say, "our purerto ricans"

by Anonymousreply 113December 10, 2017 5:21 PM

Sicilians are better than Italians.

They are more real. They have more soul. They have bigger penis!

by Anonymousreply 114December 10, 2017 5:27 PM

Sal Mineo? In a minute. I would. He reminds me of the guys I grew up with in Jersey City. Those lithe, smooth, lightly muscled tough Italian guys who'd be so gentle and tactile when alone....

by Anonymousreply 115December 10, 2017 5:47 PM

Jane Fonda, Lee Remick, Juliet Mills, Natalie Wood, Tuesday Weld, Suzanne Pleshette, Hope Lange, and so many others: I think they all look extraordinary in Roddy's home movies, far prettier than they did all lacquered up with makeup and hairspray in those mid-1960s films.

by Anonymousreply 116December 10, 2017 6:16 PM

These people all looked like legit friends, I'm curious if celebrities these days are actually friends with each other or just using each other for whatever dumb project they're promoting?

by Anonymousreply 117December 10, 2017 6:44 PM

All those people in McDowell's videos are their because they're working on a particular "dumb project" up the road at the studios.

I bet a knowledgeable dataLounger could analyse all the guest lists and identify which movies they were employed on at the time.

All the cast of Inside Daisy Clover are attending McDowell's parties.

by Anonymousreply 118December 10, 2017 6:58 PM

R63, interesting video. At the 1:18 mark in that video, Sal makes a weird almost obscene gesture with his arm.

by Anonymousreply 119December 10, 2017 7:36 PM

Sal looks like he is making a fisting "joke"

by Anonymousreply 120December 10, 2017 7:43 PM

[quote]He pronounced his surname as 'mi-NEY-o' rather than 'minney-O'

That would make a TERRIF song!

by Anonymousreply 121December 10, 2017 7:44 PM

I don't understand Roddy's parties. I mean , there's a pool, a beach, fabulous rich people, but I don't see any twinks? Are we sure it was a party?

by Anonymousreply 122December 10, 2017 7:47 PM

What I find most interesting about the videos is how small-scale and low-key a Hollywood gathering could be back then.

The house was small. The patio ordinary. The clothing casual. Nothing to stop civilians from wandering in.

by Anonymousreply 123December 10, 2017 7:50 PM

What's he doing with a man he doesn't know in a back alley at night.?

by Anonymousreply 124December 10, 2017 7:56 PM

Roddys boyfriend was very good looking. Today that party would have 2 or 3 helicopters above and paps in the bushes taking pictures.

by Anonymousreply 125December 10, 2017 7:59 PM

Sal was adorable, what age would he be today? - does he have any hot lookalike young relatives? lol

by Anonymousreply 126December 10, 2017 8:20 PM

The Manson murders put an end to those causal "drop on in" Hollywood parties forever.

by Anonymousreply 127December 10, 2017 9:18 PM

[quote] Didn't Mineo have an affair with Charlton Heston?

I seriously doubt it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 10, 2017 9:54 PM

I don't think the occasional blow and go constitutes an affair

by Anonymousreply 129December 10, 2017 9:55 PM

[quote] Mineo and Haworth were together on-and-off for many years, even getting engaged to be married at one point, though she canceled the engagement when she became aware of an affair Sal was having with Bobby Sherman.

Who could have seen that coming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130December 10, 2017 9:57 PM

Bobby's still alive, why don't we ask him?

by Anonymousreply 131December 10, 2017 10:06 PM

"Dear Bobby...."

by Anonymousreply 132December 10, 2017 10:34 PM

"Bobby. Bobby, Bobby, did you love him?"

by Anonymousreply 133December 10, 2017 10:43 PM

R119, R120, that's an obscene Italian gesture. "Fuck you" is about what it mean. I don't know if the fisting is his own flourish or a standard variation.

by Anonymousreply 134December 10, 2017 11:02 PM

This is what Bobby Sherman looked like around that time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 10, 2017 11:05 PM

R117, to me they look like actors acting it up at a cocktail party at the beach. People knew how to make small talk then. I was also struck by how small and unpretentious the place was.

by Anonymousreply 136December 10, 2017 11:10 PM

R119, he's making a gesture that in the politest interpretation is something to the effect of "your momma".

by Anonymousreply 137December 10, 2017 11:11 PM

I think the party shows a bunch of actors who probably got sick of glamour and being on display for the public; hence the appeal of the seaside bungalow community where they could relax and just hang out together and be normal. In my opinion, today's celebrity culture is more full of people who are in love with having everything big and glitzy and one-upping each other. And, don't forget, a fair few of the attendees had either been child stars or were the children of movie stars, so they'd already had a lifetime of it.

by Anonymousreply 138December 10, 2017 11:17 PM

Mineo supposedly had an affair with Bob Conrad as well.

by Anonymousreply 139December 10, 2017 11:20 PM

In Boston it's been rumored that mobster Whitey Bulger bent Sal over a couple times.

by Anonymousreply 140December 10, 2017 11:31 PM

Natalie Wood was the official Little Sister to the entire gay Hollywood population. She adored them, they adored her. Wish I'd met her (she died the MONTH I moved to L.A. as a kid).

by Anonymousreply 141December 10, 2017 11:33 PM

Watch "Tab Hunter Confidential" on NETFLIX if you haven't seen it yet.

by Anonymousreply 142December 10, 2017 11:34 PM

R106, you can stick that "frau" shit up your lonely asshole. It just makes you sound like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 143December 10, 2017 11:34 PM

That picture at R130 is from a Monkees episode where Bobby Sherman played a conceited teen idol with a golden blonde pompadour. Since he was a teen idol himself he must have had a good sense of humor to make fun of his own status as one. As I recall, he was very funny as the minimally talented but cute Frankie Catalina.

by Anonymousreply 144December 10, 2017 11:40 PM

Well said R138. They enjoyed being around each other and engaging in face-to-face conversations.

None of the showboating and trying to top one another on social media like in today's world. Although I am sure Roddy would have had a fabulous Instagram account.

by Anonymousreply 145December 10, 2017 11:42 PM

"Face to face conversations"

Whazzat?

by Anonymousreply 146December 10, 2017 11:44 PM

[QUOTE]Bobby Sherman was married at least twice and had some kids, so accusing him of having sex with Sal Mineo is kind of a stretch, don't ya think?

Weally ? Tony Perkins was married for almost 20 years and had 2 sons. Robert Reed was married for 5 years and had a daughter. Tyrone Power was married 3 times and fathered 3 children. No, I don't think previous post about Sherman is some incredible stretch.

by Anonymousreply 147December 10, 2017 11:47 PM

Sadly, a lost art R146

by Anonymousreply 148December 10, 2017 11:49 PM

Bobby Sherman seemed like a sweet, pliant young think back in the day. Adorbs.

by Anonymousreply 149December 10, 2017 11:50 PM

All the talk about Sal Mineo fucking Bobby Sherman is just unsubstantiated gossip. It's the same old story; they knew each other, they were both attractive, so of COURSE they must be fucking! I'm sure the fantasy of Sal Mineo and Bobby Sherman fucking must be such a turn on for some people. That's pretty sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 150December 10, 2017 11:51 PM

Beg pardon, R144, the point is that whoever keeps defending Mr. Sherman seems to have some sort of personal investment in his exclusive heterosexuality to the same extent as those stereotypical "fraus" on this board, regardless of nomenclature . Perhaps we should just call you Omniscient One instead...

by Anonymousreply 151December 10, 2017 11:51 PM

Beg pardon once again, R144--that last entry was actually intended for R143.

by Anonymousreply 152December 10, 2017 11:52 PM

I love this clip. Hope Lange is beautiful, as is Roddy.

It also features Robert Redford as Joe Cool, and a pool party with kids in which nothing untowards happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 10, 2017 11:53 PM

R150, face facts. A first-hand account from his fiancee at the time is not unsubstantiated gossip. You can believe it or not, but it's not like it's came from Scotty Bowers.

by Anonymousreply 154December 10, 2017 11:58 PM

Roddy McDowell looks a lot sexier in these films than he did in the movies. More natural. Helps that we are hearing that horrible mid-Atlantic, Eleanor Roosevelt-sounding, accent he had. Apparently he came by it honestly but it was off-putting and not sexy.

by Anonymousreply 155December 11, 2017 12:00 AM

I mean, you can read it for yourself. Here's the passage. Then do a search on the book in Google Books for Sherman's name and see just how close they were for a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156December 11, 2017 12:00 AM

I meant not hearing that accent.

by Anonymousreply 157December 11, 2017 12:01 AM

"Eleanor Roosevelt accent," LOL.

by Anonymousreply 158December 11, 2017 12:03 AM

Tuesday Weld was one of Roddy's closest friends and is featured in a lot of those old 8mm films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 11, 2017 12:06 AM

"A first-hand account from his fiancee at the time is not unsubstantiated gossip. "

I don't find her particularly credible. And if they'd been as hot and heavy as they were supposed to be, it would have come out long before Mineo's death. That's when stuff like this always comes out: after the death of the celebrity. No doubt to avoid lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 160December 11, 2017 12:06 AM

Allegedly the man who fatally stabbed Mineo had no idea of the latter's celebrity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 11, 2017 12:07 AM

So Mineo was also fucking Robert Conrad? I never heard any gay rumors about Robert Conrad, either.

by Anonymousreply 162December 11, 2017 12:09 AM

You must be new around here, r162.

by Anonymousreply 163December 11, 2017 12:33 AM

No. Nothing to see here R162.

We're just carpooling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 11, 2017 1:36 AM

Or here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 11, 2017 1:42 AM

Nothing to note here either R162

Just a night out with the guys away from the hens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166December 11, 2017 1:54 AM

R166, a guy's gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 167December 11, 2017 4:11 AM

r143: Frau, please.

by Anonymousreply 168December 11, 2017 4:24 AM

They were playing Chutes and Ladders, Rose at r124.

by Anonymousreply 169December 11, 2017 4:26 AM

Damn right, r114.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 11, 2017 4:32 AM

Van Williams. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 171December 11, 2017 6:18 AM

Back to sal maybe? Lol

by Anonymousreply 172December 11, 2017 8:41 AM

He'd be about 80 now no?

by Anonymousreply 173December 11, 2017 8:42 AM

He'd be 80 and probably looking like Mickey Rooney

by Anonymousreply 174December 11, 2017 12:39 PM

I'd rather dwell on Van Wiliams. He just died last year.

by Anonymousreply 175December 11, 2017 12:57 PM

Jesus... I do not want to think about him like that... he had a great ass

by Anonymousreply 176December 11, 2017 1:09 PM

Sal Mineo was so claustrophobic in the heavy ape makeup he wore in Escape From the Planet of the Apes, they had to do an emergency re-write and kill off his character early in the story to get him out of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 177December 11, 2017 2:19 PM

Sal Mineo was no fag.

by Anonymousreply 178December 11, 2017 2:52 PM

But he WAS pretty bisexual/gay, r178.

by Anonymousreply 179December 11, 2017 3:13 PM

R150 Oh, DO shut up.

by Anonymousreply 180December 11, 2017 3:22 PM

It's stories like this that do lend credence to the 'bierasure' argument. I always heard this guy was gay, but that's clearly not the case.

by Anonymousreply 181December 11, 2017 3:34 PM

R168, Retard, please. You're just continuing to make a fool of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 182December 11, 2017 3:39 PM

We enjoyed the company of Mr. Mineo one sultry summer afternoon in Jupiter, Florida. If he was into stinkfish, you wouldn't have guessed it that afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 183December 11, 2017 3:49 PM

R184 really? So tell?

by Anonymousreply 184December 11, 2017 4:06 PM

Maybe I'M the one that needs a Labrador retriever and a cane, but I think the fellow @:22s in R63's video is Dennis Wilson.

It's Malibu, after all.

by Anonymousreply 185December 11, 2017 4:09 PM

R183 So Mrs Patrick Campbell had sex with Sal Mineo and went to a Judy Garland concert?

Just how fucking old is she?

by Anonymousreply 186December 11, 2017 4:12 PM

Break it up girls, break it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187December 11, 2017 4:16 PM

According to Wikipedia Haworth lost her virginity at age 15 to Sal Mineo. And as had been stated here, they became engaged, but she broke up with him after learning of his affair with Bobby Sherman. Years later they got together again, and Haworth became pregnant. She had an abortion,

IF this is true, then Mineo must have been bisexual on some level. I tend to believe her because she certainly wasn't sugar coating anything to do with their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 188December 11, 2017 4:25 PM

[quote]The sordid final years of Sal Mineo

As opposed to the sordid early years of Sal Mineo?

by Anonymousreply 189December 11, 2017 4:26 PM

Sordid I......

by Anonymousreply 190December 11, 2017 4:47 PM

I wonder if Sal would have enjoyed a longer and more successful career had he changed his name?

John Saxon, who began life as Carmine Orrico, was a similar type to Sal and was the same age. Not that his career was so spectacular but he did seem to avoid typecasting as "ethnic".

by Anonymousreply 191December 11, 2017 5:07 PM

Well I don't think he would have enjoyed a longer career no matter what he called himself

by Anonymousreply 192December 11, 2017 6:22 PM

Sal showing off in the cult film WHO KiLLED TEDDY BEAR ? (1965). With him is dancer/actress Juliet Prowse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193December 11, 2017 6:55 PM

Hey r193! Whaddem I, chopped liver?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 11, 2017 7:02 PM

I doubt Robert Conrad and Sal Mineo hooked up. Conrad's type was muscular blonds, not Italians. The guy in R166 is more his type.

by Anonymousreply 195December 11, 2017 7:19 PM

Sicilians are genetically closer to Greeks, Turks and North Africans than Italians.

by Anonymousreply 196December 11, 2017 7:25 PM

R196, unless he is from Val Gardena and closer to the Germans, my point still stands.

by Anonymousreply 197December 11, 2017 7:30 PM

I was around 5 or 6 when I saw this movie and fell in love with Sal Mineo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 11, 2017 7:49 PM

Conrad's type

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199December 11, 2017 7:58 PM

Just for the record, the 1/5 scale model that Bobby Sherman built in his backyard is a model of Disneyland's Main Street section, not the entire Disneyland. That would have been a huge undertaking.

The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco does have a model of the entire Disneyland, at least an earlier version of it, at a much smaller scale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200December 11, 2017 8:14 PM

Conrad's type, r199? LOL. I'm sure his wife of many years would love to know about your little homosexual fantasies about her husband. Conrad was all about the pussy.

by Anonymousreply 201December 11, 2017 8:16 PM

R201 Is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 202December 11, 2017 8:19 PM

R201 = Michele Bauchmann

by Anonymousreply 203December 11, 2017 8:22 PM

That Marcus, almost too much man into one humpy 5' 10" package !!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204December 11, 2017 8:28 PM

R191 Carmine Orrico's Italian face was a little prettier.

Salvatore had rather unattractive blubbery lips which, as I said earlier, would have turned him into another Ernest Borgnine had he lived into middle-age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 11, 2017 9:05 PM

Conrad's type may have been blonds. But not muscular ones. My friend had an affair with him when he was prime blond twink material.

by Anonymousreply 206December 11, 2017 9:35 PM

Is that the Pops from Elm Street?

by Anonymousreply 207December 11, 2017 9:35 PM

R201, Bitch please! It's been well known for many years that Robert Conrad had a fixation with fucking guys and then beating the shit out of them afterward.

by Anonymousreply 208December 11, 2017 9:49 PM

I wonder who has Roddy's diaries now? It's said there is more dope on more celebrities of the day in those diaries than anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 209December 11, 2017 9:52 PM

[quote] It's said there is more dope on more celebrities of the day in those diaries than anywhere else.

I'd still give the edge to Hefner's home video collection.

by Anonymousreply 210December 11, 2017 9:57 PM

R201 Conrad is not married, they divorced in 2010. He is partially paralyzed on his right side from a car accident he was at fault and convicted of drunk driving.

by Anonymousreply 211December 11, 2017 10:00 PM

R206, I realized when I saw the post of R199 that muscular meant something different in my day. I guess one would say fit today. He was not into body builders. Actually, as I remember, he had a thing for skiers. As he got older, his type got younger; so, I can imagine him going for more of a twink type.

by Anonymousreply 212December 11, 2017 10:03 PM

Why were they all blondes? It's like with Rock Hudson. He had a thing for blondes. In the mid-70s I had a butch blonde friend who was Rock's type and had a summertime tryout at his pool parties. He didn't get a callback though.

by Anonymousreply 213December 11, 2017 10:12 PM

R209, I think he specified that 50 years after his death they would be read, but not before. So I will never know what's in them.

by Anonymousreply 214December 11, 2017 10:28 PM

I would guess that within another 10 years, no one mentioned in Roddy's diaries will still be alive. Or if they are, they will be thrilled with any of the attention.

How many celebs in his home movies are still with us? Christopher Plummer, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Phyllis Newman, maybe some of the celeb's kids.....who else?

by Anonymousreply 215December 11, 2017 10:35 PM

In a Rock Hudson biography I read he was said to prefer blond men who looked and acted 100% straight. He wanted nothing to do with any Nancy boys.

by Anonymousreply 216December 11, 2017 10:45 PM

[quote]Why were they all blondes? It's like with Rock Hudson. He had a thing for blondes. In the mid-70s I had a butch blonde friend who was Rock's type and had a summertime tryout at his pool parties. He didn't get a callback though.

R213, I remember reading that Rock couldn't enjoy guys with brown holes, only pink holes.

R200, Fabulous find!

by Anonymousreply 217December 11, 2017 11:41 PM

is there a correlation between hair color and hole color?

by Anonymousreply 218December 12, 2017 12:06 AM

Why yes R218, there is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219December 12, 2017 12:47 AM

Sal Mineo in the 1970's version of "What's My Line." He was still looking fuckable and rather gay fashionable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220December 12, 2017 1:12 AM

Mascara, ascot, tight white striped bell bottoms with shades hanging off a huge white belt was gay fashionable?

by Anonymousreply 221December 12, 2017 1:24 AM

Goddamn, what a sweetheart in that clip.

I'm in love with him all over again.

by Anonymousreply 222December 12, 2017 1:25 AM

R220 Sal didn't need mascara, I wonder why he wore it.

by Anonymousreply 223December 12, 2017 1:32 AM

R218, Unfortunately, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 224December 12, 2017 1:56 AM

He was really olive-skinned. I don't think I noticed it in his films as much as in real life here.

by Anonymousreply 225December 12, 2017 2:22 AM

When does this thread get sordid?

by Anonymousreply 226December 12, 2017 3:07 AM

That clip, R220 mentions that Sal is about to get sordid with ex-cons and cons at 4.30

by Anonymousreply 227December 12, 2017 3:38 AM

Great response, r187! I haven't seen this many catfights since the "Golden Girls vs. Designing Women" threads.

by Anonymousreply 228December 12, 2017 4:31 AM

R188, well, obviously Jill Haworth was a man!

I think she was the first Sally Bowles in "Cabaret."

by Anonymousreply 229December 12, 2017 4:59 AM

R199, that guy died young. Don't know if steroids contributed.

R200, if Sherman really made that, my estimation of him has risen considerably.

by Anonymousreply 230December 12, 2017 5:08 AM

no shame

tragic life

beautiful man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231December 12, 2017 5:51 AM

final word: from/born in ITALY = ITALIAN

from/born in SICILY = SICILIAN.

case closed

by Anonymousreply 232December 12, 2017 6:10 AM

Mineo was born in January1939;he would have been 78 going on 79 today.

by Anonymousreply 233December 12, 2017 8:49 AM

I fucked him off the coast of the Atlantic in the mid eighties. That's a hell of a large place to fuck but it pretty much was by that time. He paid me well, did a lot of drugs.

by Anonymousreply 234December 12, 2017 9:19 AM

Who did you fuck, r234?

by Anonymousreply 235December 12, 2017 9:54 AM

If you fucked him in the mid eighties, it must,have been rather one-sided, since he died in 1976.

by Anonymousreply 236December 12, 2017 10:01 AM

Sorry, whom did you fuck?

by Anonymousreply 237December 12, 2017 10:24 AM

He had an anal prolapse in his later years.

by Anonymousreply 238December 12, 2017 3:01 PM

He was rather nellie, no?

by Anonymousreply 239December 12, 2017 3:05 PM

R215

Julie Andrews

Tuesday Weld

Joanne Woodward

Haley & Juliet Mills

Samantha Eggar

Kirk & Anne Douglas

Mart Crowley

& I think that Vlad Blatnik is still living.

by Anonymousreply 240December 12, 2017 7:08 PM

R215

Marion Marshall

Robert Wagner

by Anonymousreply 241December 12, 2017 7:10 PM

But how many of those are still "with" us?

by Anonymousreply 242December 12, 2017 8:38 PM

R242 Jane Fonda, Juliet Mills, Tuesday Weld.

by Anonymousreply 243December 12, 2017 8:54 PM

Great, now add those names under the images in the HomeMovies, and then we're talking…!

by Anonymousreply 244December 12, 2017 10:04 PM

Tuesday Weld, Jane Fonda, Anthony Perkins.......Malibu, May 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 12, 2017 10:24 PM

The men were fugly. Lots of hairy chests/shoulders and not one visible ab. Did razors and gyms not exist in the 1960s?

by Anonymousreply 246December 12, 2017 10:31 PM

r187 I love that gif, dogs breaking up a catfight.

by Anonymousreply 247December 12, 2017 10:41 PM

He got written out of the movie Grease for being a 'mo. They said it was because he died, but it was really because he was a 'mo.

by Anonymousreply 248December 12, 2017 10:49 PM

The Frankie Avalon part?

by Anonymousreply 249December 12, 2017 10:52 PM

Damn, they all smoked.

by Anonymousreply 250December 12, 2017 11:00 PM

R250 And many of them died from lung cancer and other smoker related diseases.

by Anonymousreply 251December 12, 2017 11:00 PM

He was not written out of "Grease," lol. His *name* was written out of the song "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee," out of respect for his then-recent death. The original lyrics were, "No, no no, Sal Mineo/I would never stoop so low." I don't remember what they changed it to.

by Anonymousreply 252December 12, 2017 11:18 PM

Didn’t he die two years prior, and wouldn’t that have been a loving tribute Sal would have adored?

by Anonymousreply 253December 12, 2017 11:21 PM

I don't know, did he adore it when he was alive? "Grease" was a popular musical years before they turned it into a movie--years when he was alive.

I think it was just too soon and they were worried that the audience would only remember the brutal murder instead of the humorous nod at a 50s teen idol.

by Anonymousreply 254December 12, 2017 11:23 PM

Was he mentioned on the stage version originally?

by Anonymousreply 255December 12, 2017 11:26 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 256December 12, 2017 11:27 PM

These are the Broadway lyrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257December 12, 2017 11:28 PM

Looks like they switched it to that bit about Elvis and his pelvis

by Anonymousreply 258December 12, 2017 11:36 PM

I think it's hysterical that the original Broadway lyrics all referred to gay/bi/gay for pay teen idols. That couldn't have been a coincidence:

And then to be bumped by "Elvis Elvis let me be, keep that pelvis far from me" - is the ultimate send-off.

by Anonymousreply 259December 13, 2017 12:57 AM

And Troy was a whore AFTER fame, fortune, and fall.

by Anonymousreply 260December 13, 2017 12:59 AM

I don’t think anyone will even know who the people mentioned in Roddy’s diary were 50 years from now, they won’t even remember who he was.

by Anonymousreply 261December 13, 2017 1:10 AM

I'm hoping someone gets hold of them and disregards the instructions. It's not unprecedented, is it?

by Anonymousreply 262December 13, 2017 1:18 AM

Nobody's going to care what is in Roddy's diaries 50 years after he died, which would be 2048. It would be like us caring today about the celebrity gossip from pre WWII.

by Anonymousreply 263December 13, 2017 1:22 AM

Bite your tongue! I could tell you stories about Ben Turpin that would knock your socks off. 23-skidoo!

by Anonymousreply 264December 13, 2017 1:23 AM

Yes and the things that Isabel Jewell got up to will curl your hair!

by Anonymousreply 265December 13, 2017 1:58 AM

There was a hilariously dark Jiminy Glick skit (enacted by marionettes) of Sal Mineo's last minutes as he walked home from rehearsal of "PS You Cat is Dead" to his date with destiny.

"'Mannered'?" the marionette of Mineo said, "What did that director mean when he said that I was 'mannered'?"

by Anonymousreply 266December 13, 2017 2:03 AM

I don't think Joanne Woodward or Hayley Mills made appearances in any of Roddy's Malibu home movies. Paul and Juliet left them home.

by Anonymousreply 267December 13, 2017 2:51 AM

"Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" just about killed Sandra Dee. She had always suffered from depression but that song really put her over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 268December 13, 2017 2:52 AM

He looks like the boy who used to mow our lawns in Westport. Unfortunately, we had to turn him over to the police.

by Anonymousreply 269December 13, 2017 3:49 AM

Why did his career tank so badly?

by Anonymousreply 270December 13, 2017 8:01 AM

Difficult type to cast.

by Anonymousreply 271December 13, 2017 10:42 AM

R246, that was before the advent of the metrosexual--anyone who shaved his chest or worked out just to look good was pretty much presumed to be fey and gay.

by Anonymousreply 272December 13, 2017 11:12 AM

R271, there was also a lot of competition for his type, John Kerr, Anthony Perkins, etc. There were only so many sensitive young man roles and many actors to play them.

by Anonymousreply 273December 13, 2017 11:18 AM

Sal appeared in a pretty good episode of COLUMBO the year before he died, but he isn't the murderer and isn't in it very much, sadly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274December 13, 2017 12:32 PM

Sal was short and ethnic. That didn't help when he grew out of adolescence.. also, the,baby,face.

by Anonymousreply 275December 13, 2017 2:09 PM

Roddy did not have a yen stinkfish, so why did he invite so many fish to his parties? Where are the beautiful blond boys? If we had a pool party, we can assure you there would be no fish swimming in our pool.

by Anonymousreply 276December 13, 2017 2:14 PM

^^^Bryan Singer

by Anonymousreply 277December 13, 2017 2:19 PM

R276, either he decided to not film any boys-only parties he might've had (perhaps too much potential scandal in those homophobic years scared him from it), or such films haven't yet been released to the public. I'm hoping it's the latter, because I would love to see home movies of Rock Hudson, Sal Mineo, Paul Lynde, and all those other closeted actors and entertainers having a gay ole time with the hot California boys of the 50s and 60s.

by Anonymousreply 278December 13, 2017 2:37 PM

Of course Elvis was also dead by the time the film came out so the claim they change the lyric because of Mineo's death is stupid. They didn't want his sordid homosexual death and murder to be in the film, so they wrote him out.

by Anonymousreply 279December 13, 2017 3:23 PM

Here's Sal on "What's My Line"

Dorothy outs him at 2:36 so don't tell me she didn't poke holes in her mask

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280December 13, 2017 3:31 PM

Sal on the "NEW" 'What's My Line'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281December 13, 2017 3:32 PM

Sal on "I've Got A Secret"

Starring Garry "I wear my suits two sizes too small" Moore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282December 13, 2017 3:39 PM

^^^more like a whores party.

by Anonymousreply 283December 13, 2017 5:48 PM

R278

Labor Day at Rock Hudson's house 1965:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284December 13, 2017 7:44 PM

R267

Go to :45 and learn something. That's definitely Hayley Mills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285December 13, 2017 7:48 PM

All those fury chests are gross. ick. Body hair is disgussting. When did men start shaving or waxxing there chests? I would of made a terrible gay man if I were living in that error of time.

by Anonymousreply 286December 13, 2017 8:57 PM

Granted, they're in Malibu and everyone 's beautiful, but apart from that, it looks exactly like every other back yard get-together in the US summer of 1965.

From the clothes they're wearing to the outdoor furniture. Paper plates, plastic cups, and you can be sure there was potato salad, cole slaw, hamburgers, hot dogs.

----- [quote]All those fury chests are gross.

No, they're natural. They're manly.

Primped and waxed is gross.

by Anonymousreply 287December 13, 2017 9:02 PM

Sal Mineo was really a very minor actor, who really had only one good role, the one in "Rebel Without A Cause." I've never considered him particularly interesting or good looking. Today he's known for only two things: being in "Rebel Without A Cause" and being murdered. As for his life....well, I don't think it was any more "sordid" than the lives a lot of other gay actors down on their luck.

by Anonymousreply 288December 13, 2017 9:20 PM

The only thing "disgussting" here is you, R286 - you and your horrific spelling and syntax mistakes, as well as your opinion of what is attractive. DL is for educated people. Please leave.

by Anonymousreply 289December 13, 2017 9:49 PM

R185, that you for that. That was the most scathingly brilliant thing I saw all day!

by Anonymousreply 290December 13, 2017 11:46 PM

Um, when was he in GIANT???

by Anonymousreply 291December 14, 2017 12:27 AM

In 1956, like everyone else, R291.

by Anonymousreply 292December 14, 2017 12:31 AM

I wonder if Sal and Rock ever hooked up. They didn't seem to be each other's type, but who knows??? Rock seemed like a huge slut.

by Anonymousreply 293December 14, 2017 12:38 AM

"I would of [sic] made a terrible gay man [then]."

You're not doing so hot now.

by Anonymousreply 294December 14, 2017 3:38 AM

I think Brandon Dewilde was in Giant. Not sure though,

by Anonymousreply 295December 14, 2017 3:45 AM

Sal led a pretty interesting life even after his peak earning years when he was on the D list.

by Anonymousreply 296December 14, 2017 4:06 AM

He was a pretty big deal in the 602 for a "D lister." I'll put it this way, I bet there is no one who was alive in the 50s-70s who don't know who he is.

Think about all the Dlisters today. I haven't heard of half of them before reading about them here, And I follow DListed and some other gossip blogs. Troy Donahue and Tab Hunter are another two who everyone knew of.

by Anonymousreply 297December 14, 2017 5:13 AM

Troy Donahue was a solid A list actor for a number of years. His hit series TV roles also added to his popularity. Of course everyone knew who he was.

Tab Hunter might not have had a great movie career but he was popular all the same, popular enough to have his own TV show. He was THE late 1950s "dream boat".

Donahue and Hunter both had a certain impact on popular culture. Sal Mineo really didn't.

R288 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 298December 14, 2017 8:34 AM

I respectfully disagree on your Troy/Tab assessment, r298. I think while each was at the height of their own stardom, Tab was a far bigger star.

by Anonymousreply 299December 15, 2017 12:25 AM

Sal had one hit record and one hit movie. Let's name actors in with one hit movie (or TV show) and one hit record? Don Johnson?

by Anonymousreply 300December 15, 2017 10:02 PM

Lucy was supposed to be in the title role of Giant but........ oh, never mind......

by Anonymousreply 301December 15, 2017 10:09 PM

Too bad he didn't recreate his stage role of Rocky in the movie version of "Fortune And Men's Eyes" (1971).

Probably didn't want mainstream attention to his sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302December 15, 2017 10:25 PM

It's a shame that he wasn't employed by either Coppola or Scorsese in the early 70s. Both directors used so many Italian-American actors and Sal's career might have gotten a boost. I wonder if he ever auditioned for any of their films.

by Anonymousreply 303December 16, 2017 12:33 AM

Rumor has it he was up for Michael Corleone, but Brando sabotaged him

by Anonymousreply 304December 16, 2017 12:38 AM

Thank you R97. Keep out the FFs.

by Anonymousreply 305December 16, 2017 12:54 AM

Cursory research shows that Sherman was married for about 8 years the first time, at around 30 years of age. They had two kids. He then remained single for 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 306December 16, 2017 12:57 AM

Sal would have been better casting for the weak Corleone brother that whatshisname played.

by Anonymousreply 307December 16, 2017 1:02 AM

"Cursory research shows that Sherman was married for about 8 years the first time, at around 30 years of age. They had two kids. He then remained single for 30 years."

So what? Are you saying he remained single for 30 years because he's gay? He's been married to his second wife since 2010, and they've created a charitable foundation called The Bridgette and Bobby Sherman Children's Foundation, which serves to provide education to children in Ghana.

For over 25 years Bobby Sherman served as a medical training officer at the Los Angeles Police Academy, instructing thousands of police officers in first aid and C.P.R. He founded the Bobby Sherman Volunteer EMT Foundation, which provides free EMT services for community and charity events. Sounds like after his show business career ended he made himself very useful.

by Anonymousreply 308December 16, 2017 1:29 AM

Thank you once again, Bobby/Mrs. Bobby...

by Anonymousreply 309December 16, 2017 1:52 AM

I think his father was a coffin maker.

by Anonymousreply 310December 16, 2017 2:01 AM

Wow, some very sensitive Sherman-ophile seems to have this thread on "notify"! Who'd have thought?

by Anonymousreply 311December 16, 2017 2:28 AM

Mr. Mineo was averse to trout. We know for a fact that he enjoyed meat and potatoes. In fact, we would even go as far as to posit that he was a slave to them.

by Anonymousreply 312December 16, 2017 2:33 AM

Why did his life go to sleaze??

by Anonymousreply 313December 16, 2017 2:34 AM

Any eldergays remember seeing Sal around West Hollywood in the early 70s? I read the bio where they say he was caught fucking Bobby Sherman. I believed it at the time but DL has me wondering. The book is very well researched and there's so much sex in the book that you keep waiting for names to be named. Then there's Bobby Sherman. I had to look up who he was.

by Anonymousreply 314December 16, 2017 2:55 AM

"Why did his life go to sleaze??"

He was a closeted gay actor whose glory days came and went pretty quickly. That's certainly a recipe for sleaze.

by Anonymousreply 315December 16, 2017 3:00 AM

Well, there was also a story in the book about some other young star (he was named, but I don't remember who it was) that was true. It was something to the effect that Sal liked to watch him and his girlfriend, and then one day Sal tried "surprise" sex on him in the middle of the action. The guy was freaked out, refused him, and got out of there. That story had been told in some tabloid years before this book. I don't know if that makes the Sherman story more believable or not.

Then again, the book also claims that Sal never had sex with a man before Bobby (except for a practice session with his hairdresser as he was preparing to seduce Sherman), and that doesn't sound very true to me.

by Anonymousreply 316December 16, 2017 3:01 AM

(that was for R314.)

by Anonymousreply 317December 16, 2017 3:01 AM

Sal did not trick with Bobby Sherman. Repeat...DID NOT TRICK. Sal was a troubled bisexual. Bobby was straight and liked women only. Repeat...WAS STRAIGHT AND LIKED WOMEN ONLY. End of story. Hopefully end of thread.

by Anonymousreply 318December 16, 2017 3:02 AM

Source?

And "trick"? Why would you use that word? They had a close friendship, regardless of whether there was sex or not. "Trick" doesn't describe it.

by Anonymousreply 319December 16, 2017 3:17 AM

[quote]I think while each was at the height of their own stardom, Tab was a far bigger star.

Troy Donahue was leading man in 4 commercial successes all made within a few years of each other: "A Summer Place", "Susan Slade", "Parrish" and "Rome Adventure".

Perhaps Tab Hunter made more films, but as far as above-the-title leading man roles go, Troy Donahue wins.

Also: "A Summer Place" is an iconic film in pop culture film history, as is the Troy Donahue/Sandra Dee pairing. Tab Hunter has nothing that can compare.

by Anonymousreply 320December 16, 2017 9:56 AM

R318 You understand very little about show-biz. And your views on homosexuality/heterosexuality are quaint.

I've also hade plenty of sex with men who were straight and liked women only. But sometimes guys need favors, or help in some way. And they'll do what they gotta do....

by Anonymousreply 321December 16, 2017 10:01 AM

r315

It was the 70s all gays went that way, eventually. That's what allowed AIDS to spread quickly at that time, despite being around in tiny doses since the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 322December 16, 2017 10:44 AM

I understand that Sal was up for the role of Sandy in Grease but refused to shave his pornstache.

by Anonymousreply 323December 16, 2017 10:45 AM

Sal was a charming and erudite companion. He was always attentive, opening doors, getting between me and the more physical fans. We tried sleeping together once, but even using the strap-on, I could tell he didn't enjoy it. Too bad. That little meatball was like a tripod when excited.

by Anonymousreply 324December 16, 2017 1:16 PM

Debatable, R320--Donahue was Warner Brothers' insipid replacement for Hunter when Hunter got tired of the WB conveyor belt and bought out his contract. Donahue was only above the title half a dozen times and his career fizzled out after five years with no critical successes at all other than (arguably) A Summer Place. Hunter was in bigger films (Damn Yankees, They Came to Cordura) with bigger costars (Natalie Wood, Sophia Loren, Debbie Reynolds) and with greater longevity, plus he had "Young Love" at #1 on the Billboard charts for six weeks. Donahue's most frequent costar was Connie Stevens. And he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325December 16, 2017 3:57 PM

So funny when people, like R318, have such a vested interest in the lives of dead people they never knew . . .

by Anonymousreply 326December 16, 2017 5:30 PM

Sal's sphincter had also been worn away from overuse, he had also suffered from a severe prolapsed anus because he was a voracious bottom and size queen. Apparently, he had to wear an adult diaper as he'd lost the ability to control his bowel movements.

by Anonymousreply 327December 16, 2017 5:33 PM

Yeah, that's why Sal was in that alleyway. He was bending over to take a shit when that black guy stabbed him.

by Anonymousreply 328December 16, 2017 5:37 PM

[quote] Apparently, he had to wear an adult diaper as he'd lost the ability to control his bowel movements.

Fingering myself as I type . . .

by Anonymousreply 329December 16, 2017 5:40 PM

Well, even if the final years of Sal Mineo weren't sordid, the final posts of this thread certainly were!

by Anonymousreply 330December 16, 2017 7:14 PM

Tab was the more gorgeous, no competition. What I'd have paid to have been part of a Tab Hunter/young Anthony Perkins sandwich back then (pre-AIDS, of course, though Tab is still very healthy).

by Anonymousreply 331December 16, 2017 8:53 PM

Tab was dubbed, by Warners p.r., "the Sigh Guy."

by Anonymousreply 332December 16, 2017 8:58 PM

He makes me sigh for sure. Even today. I met him at a screening/signing (oddly before the "Confidential" film was made so not sure what it was but he was touring with it) and he was sweet -- but he made it clear he had no interest in being a gay icon or role model. Which he was to me anyway. I think he preferred not to have that extra pressure. I always liked him because he always seemed happy, not easy for a gay Leading Man in the '50s. And he didn't turn out to be a mess on drugs or via suicide. Love him.

by Anonymousreply 333December 16, 2017 9:02 PM

And Tab starred in big color musical TV specials in the 1950s like Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates (where he did his own stunt skating opposite gay Olympian Dick Button) and Meet Me in St. Louis as The Boy Next Door (to end all boys next door).

Troy was never more than a glorified TV series star and even in that medium he was far outclassed by his costars Van Williams and Lee Patterson. His feature films don't hold up and I'm including A Summer Place (sorry!).

by Anonymousreply 334December 16, 2017 9:33 PM

Isn't that gay Olympic skater Tab's first love? They tried to be open about it but it was not to be according to the movie about Tab. But you can tell Tab loved him (and another guy before he ended up with his producer boy).

by Anonymousreply 335December 16, 2017 9:48 PM

Dick Button in Central Park......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336December 16, 2017 9:56 PM

These matinee idols were all before my time but growing up I saw their movies on the teeeveee! Troy Donahue didn't make me feel funny inside. Young Tab Hunter did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337December 16, 2017 9:58 PM

Looking at John Saxon made ME feel funny inside.

by Anonymousreply 338December 16, 2017 10:08 PM

Donahue 's best known films are camp classics, whith his inability to act often equalled by that of his leading ladies (see Sandra Dee for an example). Tab Hunter had roles in better films but never was all that red hot. Mineo was clearly a character or ensemble player and not destined to be a leading man.

by Anonymousreply 339December 16, 2017 10:35 PM

Nearly all of my first stirrings were TV retreads via reruns and old movies: Tab, Richard Chamberlain, Ricky Nelson, Robert Conrad, Christopher Jones, Jan-Michael Vincent...

by Anonymousreply 340December 16, 2017 10:38 PM

Erna fingering herself made ME feel funny inside.

by Anonymousreply 341December 17, 2017 3:41 AM

Sal was a very strong actor as a kid

by Anonymousreply 342December 17, 2017 4:16 AM

Seeing Sal on the original 'What's My Line' then on the new version (see links above) you can see he aged awfully. He's downright ugly by the time the second version was on.

On the other hand Arlene Francis aged beautiful. She is better looking and more charming on the latter version.

by Anonymousreply 343December 17, 2017 5:54 AM

Arlene Francis and Kitty Carlisle were two of the most useless women on television. What exactly did they DO? Game show panelists? Sheeeeeit! Useless.

by Anonymousreply 344December 17, 2017 12:50 PM

R344 It's about personality. Arlene was actually quite intelligent and knowledgeable. I don't recall Kitty being as bright.

by Anonymousreply 345December 17, 2017 1:10 PM

As a little smart ass theater queen kid watching Arlene on WML I had the same thought. Who does this dame think she is? She does nothing but chatter away.

Yet watching the show recently on youtube U adore her. She is always charming and quite hilarious, very generous with the celebs always complimenting their projects, and often even a little raunchy with the hot male guests. I was too young to appreciate her back then.

Same early feelings about Kitty but I still haven't quite come around to her.

Dorothy was in a class by herself! That bitch was always fascinated me on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 346December 17, 2017 1:25 PM

So many posts here, but I'm reacting to the OP.

I'm still blown away that a magazine in the 1950s would publish a photo of a seventeen year old boy in the shower. Not on the beach or poolside wearing a swimsuit, but soaped up and naked in the shower. And when you read the accompanying article, they really treat him like he was an adult man. Was it such a different time then? Was this one of those Hollywood glamour magazines that catered to the fantasies of closeted gay men?

by Anonymousreply 347December 17, 2017 1:41 PM

[quote]On the other hand Arlene Francis aged beautiful. She is better looking and more charming on the latter version.

Agreed she aged well.

And Sal was so cute on the original but was downright ugly by the second one.

by Anonymousreply 348December 17, 2017 1:41 PM

[quote] and often even a little raunchy with the hot male guests.

She was downright flirtatious and a cougar, well as much as you could get in the 50s and 60s

"Oh let me feel your muscles" came from her mouth more than once.

by Anonymousreply 349December 17, 2017 1:43 PM

[quote]And Tab starred in big color musical TV specials in the 1950s like Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates (where he did his own stunt skating opposite gay Olympian Dick Button) and Meet Me in St. Louis as The Boy Next Door (to end all boys next door).

Ur, that wasn't Tab.

by Anonymousreply 350December 17, 2017 2:10 PM

r344

I agree

by Anonymousreply 351December 17, 2017 2:11 PM

Troy was straight which is harder because you can't live off rich men like Tab could.

by Anonymousreply 352December 17, 2017 2:14 PM

R352 Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 353December 17, 2017 2:36 PM

Troy was an even more limited actor than Tab. Hunter had a likability that got him through roles where as Donahue was pretty wooden. And the only way they could advance the trashy plot in "A Summer Place" was with the music--there's a crescendo every time Sandra Dee pathetically says something like "Johnny, lets not be bad" and Troy woodenly reacts.

A lot of the game show people were NYC-based "personalities". Most of them had some sort of Broadway or cabaret careers. the men like Bert Convy somehow got game show gigs in between acting jobs (looks and likability). The women often were married to some NYC-based powerhouse much bigger than themselves (Kitty Carlisle, Arlene Francis, Phyllis Newman). Except perhaps for the dour Dorothy Kilgallen, who was a sort of East Coast version of Hedda Hopper (who did lots of talk shows as a "personality"). all these people shared likable, "sophisticated" personalities that did well on unscripted tv. In some ways, they were no different than people we now think of as "personalities" (Madge, the Kardashians) except they didn't showcase their modest talents and their self-promotion despite limited talent wasn't obvious.

by Anonymousreply 354December 17, 2017 2:45 PM

Troy was awful in "Imitation of Life" too.

by Anonymousreply 355December 17, 2017 2:48 PM

r354, I'll go along with most of what you said, except Arlene was a far bigger and beloved star/personality than her husband Martin Gabel. He was a competent character actor on stage and in film, and produced a few stage productions but Arlene never needed her connection to him to get her work of any kind.

In the 1950s Arlene even hosted a late morning post-Today show for NBC called Home that was the prototype for dozens of shows to follow. There was no one better thN her in the early days of TV for ad-libbed interviews and chat.

Anyway, back to Sal and his suds.........

by Anonymousreply 356December 17, 2017 4:04 PM

R352, you're hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 357December 17, 2017 4:05 PM

[quote] I'll go along with most of what you said, except Arlene was a far bigger and beloved star/personality than her husband Martin Gabel.

I think in a way "What's My Line" was Arlene Francis's deadweight. She was too comfortable. She got all the exposure and glamour she wanted but none of the burden to go with it. She wasn't rich like a star of a TV or movie would be but she lived in nice home and met all the famous people and could act, whenever it suited her.

She had no real need to try for better parts. Had "What's My Line" not been the long success it was, I think she would've been more known on Broadway as she'd have been forced to.

Same with the rest of the panel. The new version of the show never really worked because it lost that sense of a New York. It was less a panel show than like a dinner party where the guests were playing a private game and you (the audience) got to look in.

by Anonymousreply 358December 17, 2017 4:45 PM

[quote]Had "What's My Line" not been the long success it was, I think she would've been more known on Broadway as she'd have been forced to.

Broadway roles were far and few between even for the most seasoned actresses.

If Arlene Francis had not had "What's My Line" to live off of, then it probably would have been another game show.

I could perhaps imagine her career going in the direction of Betty Furness or Julia Meade.... but theatre and film? I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 359December 17, 2017 5:00 PM

Do you have to be old enough to remember where you were when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor to post in this thread? Fucking eldergays!

by Anonymousreply 360December 17, 2017 5:01 PM

R360 I remember where I was when I heard Abraham Lincoln was shot....

by Anonymousreply 361December 17, 2017 5:15 PM

You dolts! I was on the FUCKING LEGITIMATE STAGE!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362December 17, 2017 5:19 PM

I tchin-tchined Arlene RAW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363December 17, 2017 5:22 PM

r359 She took time off "What's My Line" for a few Broadway roles and more often than for roles in off-broadway or Connecticut. She may have been bigger had she been forced to actually try.

That was the good thing about acting in the old days you had to work. You couldn't make two films like MaCaulay Culkin then live rich for the rest of your life. Bette Davis was by no means poor, but she had to keep working.

by Anonymousreply 364December 17, 2017 5:23 PM

R350: That poster was speaking of the TV version of Meet Me in St. Louis, not the Judy Garland film. And Tab Hunter most certainly was The Boy Next Door in it. DL Fave Patty Duke plays Tootie, a thrilling assumption.

But I'm surprised no one has mentioned Battle Cry, which was Tab's first big movie hit. It was a tremendous success in its time and is mostly forgotten now.

by Anonymousreply 365December 17, 2017 5:28 PM

Did Tab present hole in any of his films?

by Anonymousreply 366December 17, 2017 5:32 PM

Excellent analysis, R354!

by Anonymousreply 367December 17, 2017 5:37 PM

Arlene also had a long running afternoon chat show on WOR in New York. Broadway actors, politicians, writers, etc. Interesting bits.

by Anonymousreply 368December 17, 2017 6:26 PM

You dotards! This was supposed to be about Sal Mineo not Arlene "whore" Francis

by Anonymousreply 369December 17, 2017 6:27 PM

Nowhere but Datalounge would there be a discussion about Arlene Francis.

99.9999% of the world: "Who?"

by Anonymousreply 370December 17, 2017 6:30 PM

It's the DL, what do want?

Even if there's a nuclear war tomorrow, the ensuing thread will eventually wind up being about Arlene Francis, Judy Garland or Joan Crawford.

That's just the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 371December 17, 2017 6:39 PM

And me, r371. Don't you forget about me, goddamit!

by Anonymousreply 372December 17, 2017 6:41 PM

Was Sal in any of Crawford's looney later films?

by Anonymousreply 373December 17, 2017 6:45 PM

I don't think so, but that would have been a sight to see.

He should have given up on being a theatah actor and just gone in for schlocky horror films, like his erstwhile fiancee, Jill Haworth. I wonder why she didn't get him hired for some of those?

by Anonymousreply 374December 17, 2017 6:58 PM

I reckon Arlene Francis had even less appeal than the ghostly-white Arlene Dahl.

by Anonymousreply 375December 17, 2017 9:09 PM

Was Sal a pretty short guy? That probably didn't help as he tried to transition to an adult actor. Also probably being ethnic didn't help either.

by Anonymousreply 376December 17, 2017 9:11 PM

Yes, he was very short--probably around 5'4" or so, from what I can tell from movies/picture.

by Anonymousreply 377December 17, 2017 9:17 PM

Tab had much bigger box-office appeal than milky-soft Troy who had the personality of a limp rag.

(Tab was actually a kind of dopey Christian himself but he had the bone structure to make him a handsome 80 year old while poor Troy looked rather sad rather quickly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378December 17, 2017 9:30 PM

No R366, Tab did NOT present hole in any of his films. But he did present his navel which was racy for those days when the Hays Code was still enforced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379December 17, 2017 9:36 PM

R346, Kitty's last movie was 'Six Degrees of Separation' (1993) whilst her first was 'Murder at the Vanities' (1934). She was in the pivotal ending scene of 'Six Degrees'. She also appeared on Broadway, and in operas. She was an interesting woman.

Anyhoo. back to Sal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380December 17, 2017 10:28 PM

R377 Sal was 5'6"

by Anonymousreply 381December 17, 2017 10:33 PM

Arlene appeared in countless print ads and TV commercials for all kinds of products and I'm sure she was paid very well, as the American public trusted her endorsement. She and Martin lived very comfortably in NYC and in suburban Mt. Kisco next to Bennett Cerf.

If I was young and clever I could link to some of those ads....but I'm not. I remember there's a funny clip on youtube of her doing a commercial for something like Arpege perfume and messing up the script and exclaiming "SHIT!"

by Anonymousreply 382December 17, 2017 10:37 PM

Being 5'6" never hurt Al Pacino's career. Or Dustin Hoffman's for that matter.

Short was in in the 1970s so that's no excuse.

by Anonymousreply 383December 17, 2017 10:38 PM

"Hot tempered young mobster". Also Dwayne Hickman and Cesar Romero. This aired the year he died, so I assume it was filmed in 1975.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384December 17, 2017 10:39 PM

Sorry to divert attention away from Sal, but to have been part of the Manhattan literary intelligensia in the 1950s must have been pure heaven.

by Anonymousreply 385December 17, 2017 10:48 PM

Oh my goodness r382!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386December 17, 2017 10:53 PM

Tab was terrific as an amoral punk,in the Western "Gunmans Walk." He sings "I'm a Runaway " in a bar scene and is electrifying.

by Anonymousreply 387December 17, 2017 10:58 PM

For R387

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388December 17, 2017 11:44 PM

I love how much this thread has devolved. No one is talking about Sal and when they do, it’s boresville. I want to read some trash.

by Anonymousreply 389December 18, 2017 12:06 AM

Sal and Yul?

by Anonymousreply 390December 18, 2017 1:06 AM
by Anonymousreply 391December 18, 2017 2:03 AM

Most famous movies:

Tab Hunter: Battle Cry

Kitty Carlisle: A Night At The Opera

by Anonymousreply 392December 18, 2017 2:12 AM

Sal was a tough guy. He never gave up. For the last ten years of his life he took acting work wherever he could get it. He kept going out on auditions after auditions. His family mismanaged and lost all the money he made during his peak earning years. He was nominated for an Academy Award twice. He was a hot pocket gay. After his fame faded he did dinner theatre in Cleveland, guest starring roles on tv and yes game shows. Anything to get by.

by Anonymousreply 393December 18, 2017 2:24 AM

By the way, there was nothing "sordid" about Sal Mineo's life. He was a gay man trying to work in his business. He was out there, had sex, drank and did the usual. He mentored people and had his disappointments.

The quick and lazy way shits such as the OP automatically spread hate against gay celebrities is disgusting. It always seems like the homophobia hits lowest and hardest on what is supposed to be a gay site. Gay, at least, when the straight twats, fraus, Russbots, teen shitheads and rightwing shit-stirrers aren't posting two-thirds of the posts on a given day.

by Anonymousreply 394December 18, 2017 2:30 AM

any trashy sleaze like George and PERFECTO!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395December 18, 2017 2:30 AM

or me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396December 18, 2017 2:38 AM

R395 George looks bit like Claudette Colbert there

by Anonymousreply 397December 18, 2017 2:45 AM

Mineo in Who Killed Teddy Bear had worked his body so that, if you didn't see him next to someone, he looked tall. Especially in that swimsuit.

by Anonymousreply 398December 18, 2017 2:57 AM

R389, for you:

"Sal and I went out for something at the store, and when we came back, Courtney was fucking Paul. Sal flew into a rage and tore up my flat, throwing lamps about and screaming. But he got over it quickly and later regretted the outburst."

Sal was angered by Courtney's transgression, but not for the obvious reason. "Sal was jealous, all right," Courtney said. "He wanted to have a three-way with me and Paul. Sal was mad because we were doing it _without_ him. He felt left out."

This is after a jaunt to Morocco, where they had group sex with underage youths (not part of this Google Books preview).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399December 18, 2017 4:14 AM

My late mother took me to see "Rome Adventure" at the theater in Winter Park when I was 6. I will never forget how incensed she was by Troy's horrible acting and line delivery. He was playing opposite Suzanne Pleshette, and at one point which was meant to be deeply romantic and sensuous, he looked at her and said, " I love you. You wiped the windshield of my life clean ." he said it as if he was reading from the phone book.

Mother grabbed my hand and jerked me up out of my seat and said, "That's it! I cannot take any more of this abominable performance!"

Question: Since Tab is healthy at 80, could we assume he is a top?

by Anonymousreply 400December 18, 2017 6:32 AM

R400, that must have been just ghastly!

by Anonymousreply 401December 18, 2017 10:10 AM

R30 is right.. And it wasn't behind his building, but in front. In the carport, but he fell on the sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 402December 18, 2017 10:51 AM

Sal under the sheet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403December 18, 2017 10:56 AM

[quote]Since Tab is healthy at 80

Try 86 (he was born in 1931). And yes, he's a top.

by Anonymousreply 404December 18, 2017 10:59 AM

In 1964 Tab co-starred on Broadway with Tallulah Bankhead and Estelle Wynwood in Tennessee Williams' THE MILK TRAIN DOESN'T STOP HERE ANYMORE. The show lasted 5 performances.

Also in the cast was DL fave Marian Seldes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405December 18, 2017 11:17 AM

Tab showing the goods next to equally well-hung bottom boy, Rudolf Nureyev

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406December 18, 2017 11:28 AM

Bobby doing some sort of Shimmying dance. Maybe the Frug, boom-a-rang, boogaloo, swim, reverse cowboy, shingaling, the jerk, the popcorn...I don’t know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407December 18, 2017 12:44 PM

Maybe you should start a Tab and Troy thread. This is completely boring.

by Anonymousreply 408December 18, 2017 12:56 PM

The biggest mystery of the Troy Donahue story is why Suzanne Pleshette married him. She always seemed so smart and classy and an actress who was never terribly ambitious or needy.

by Anonymousreply 409December 18, 2017 1:23 PM

Arlene Francis' waist is so tiny in that commercial!

by Anonymousreply 410December 18, 2017 1:23 PM

R17 have you seen The New Adam?

It's supposed to be part of the Guggenheim's permanent collection, but I don't know if it's on display or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411December 18, 2017 1:51 PM

Bankhead and Winwood----lifelong friends, apparently an item at some point.

by Anonymousreply 412December 18, 2017 2:11 PM

[quote]Even if there's a nuclear war tomorrow, the ensuing thread will eventually wind up being about Arlene Francis, Judy Garland or Joan Crawford.

I know, at least I would rate my own special thread

by Anonymousreply 413December 18, 2017 4:09 PM

Arlene killed two people. She ran over one and dropped a flower pot on another.

by Anonymousreply 414December 18, 2017 4:09 PM

This Baby wants to be put in the corner r411.

by Anonymousreply 415December 18, 2017 4:20 PM

R313 Dorothy, dear, may I ask if you've had a facelift? Your jawline looks decidedly odd.

by Anonymousreply 416December 18, 2017 7:08 PM

Arlene did NOT kill two people.

Her maid was cleaning a window sill and move a bar bell that unfortunately slipped off the sill killing a pedestrian on Park Ave. below.

The automobile accident that she was involved in was not deemed her fault.

by Anonymousreply 417December 18, 2017 7:11 PM

^ Who keeps a bar bell on their sill? And who cares about unknown person anyway?

I want some more eldergays to share their thoughts about the divine Mr Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 418December 18, 2017 7:31 PM

Start a Hunter thread then.

by Anonymousreply 419December 18, 2017 7:39 PM

Someone could post Tab's Mystery Guest appearance on WML and we could then watch him in action with Arlene and Dorothy. I think he even made a second appearance as a guest panelist. He was pretty adorable back then.

His bf Tony Perkins made several appearances on WML. I wonder if Tony and Sal ever hooked up (though neither honestly seems the other's type)?

by Anonymousreply 420December 18, 2017 8:45 PM

^ I hated WML.

What's the point of having a star appear if they were forbidden from showing their personality.

by Anonymousreply 421December 18, 2017 8:55 PM

I love messy threads like this.

This one has everything: catfights, sleazy actors, closeted teen idols, overprotective fraus, Arlene Francis-obsessed queens, Tab Hunter's crotch.

by Anonymousreply 422December 19, 2017 3:30 AM

This is a thread which shows just how many ancient eldergays are on here. So much knowledge about what happened in the 50's.

by Anonymousreply 423December 19, 2017 3:38 AM

Ok, "group sex with underage youths" qualifies as sordid.

by Anonymousreply 424December 19, 2017 3:46 AM

Early Mineo protege Bobby Sherman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425December 19, 2017 3:52 AM

What do we know about George Maharis? Gay?

by Anonymousreply 426December 19, 2017 3:54 AM

R426........only when he’s sucking cock in a gas station bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 427December 19, 2017 3:57 AM

R420, per your request.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428December 19, 2017 3:57 AM

R426 See inside R395

by Anonymousreply 429December 19, 2017 3:58 AM

R426, Yes. (BTW, click on the link for some hot photos).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430December 19, 2017 4:00 AM

^. I wonder when Maharis did those penis pictures?

by Anonymousreply 431December 19, 2017 4:05 AM

R431, I've never been able to find out, but I'm assuming it was very early, before he had achieved any professional success. There are 'physique' photos out there of lots of different actors (like Burt Lancaster), from before they became famous. He had a really varied career: off-Broadway, soap opera (Search for Tomorrow), recordings, TV and movies. He's still alive, too. This link has some fantastic videos, including George with Judy and Dionne Warwick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432December 19, 2017 4:21 AM

R409

Pleshette regretted having married Donahue within a matter of weeks. She hadn't realized how immature and troubled he was. I remember once years later she was on Carson and referred to her first marriage as that "dark period I don't talk about"

Originally Natalie Wood was suppose to be cast in the female lead of ROME ADVENTURE. First Natalie wasn't too thrilled to be cast opposite Troy Donahue, then she had a writer friend read the script to get his opinion. When he (TT) told her the script and story stunk she announced that she was going ahead with a long put off tonsillectomy and the role went to Suzanne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433December 19, 2017 4:40 AM

[quote]This one has everything: catfights, sleazy actors, closeted teen idols, overprotective fraus, Arlene Francis-obsessed queens, Tab Hunter's crotch.

Yes, totally disgusting. If I was writing about it, it would be classy

by Anonymousreply 434December 19, 2017 4:59 AM

George Maharis with Dionne Warwick and the Animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435December 19, 2017 5:10 AM

George and Judy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436December 19, 2017 5:11 AM

R433, nice shot, but it always looks like an alien hand is emerging from her right shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 437December 19, 2017 7:05 AM

[quote]"Mineo was baffled by his sudden loss of popularity,

Considering he couldn't even hold the attention of a bunch of gays, used to ogling guys, for a single thread, it's no wonder he lost his popularity so quickly in real life

by Anonymousreply 438December 19, 2017 7:12 AM

R434, are you a member of the entertainment profession?

by Anonymousreply 439December 19, 2017 1:10 PM

More nude Maharis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440December 19, 2017 1:11 PM

George Maharis' biggest success was certainly the TV series Route 66, but my impression was that he was very rebellious with its producers and always complaining about scripts and other details and unwilling to participate in publicity that included bearding with women on set-up dates.

While he may not have been so easily replaceable on the series (Glenn Corbett), the show had pretty much run its course anyway but word had gotten out about his stubborness and unreliability and so his career fizzled pretty quickly. I also think that Maharis didn't really seem to want to pay the price to achieve huge success so perhaps he was happier with a lower profile. He certainly never made a substantial comeback.

by Anonymousreply 441December 19, 2017 1:27 PM

Not to mention, he started wearing atrocious and outlandish wigs in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 442December 19, 2017 1:29 PM

When did hair transplants really start to take off? I think I remember reading that it wasn't until the early to mid '80s that they became widely available.

by Anonymousreply 443December 19, 2017 1:33 PM

Disappointing pits at r440.

by Anonymousreply 444December 19, 2017 2:39 PM

Not just disappointing pits r444.

by Anonymousreply 445December 19, 2017 2:45 PM

r428

Very telling episode. Arlene was darling as always, and Dorothy had her bitch face on when Arlene guessed it and not her. Dorothy's husband clearly disliked being next to her in this episode and Tab came across as a smirking asshole.

by Anonymousreply 446December 19, 2017 3:22 PM

r433

any woman who's name has the word SHIT in it and doesn't bother to change it, is a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 447December 19, 2017 3:26 PM

I like him so much in rebel without a cause, because there on the screen was a gay guy with a crush on James Dean, for everyone to see. It came out before I was born, but when I saw it on TV growing up, It really spoke to me, and even now when I see it as an adult

by Anonymousreply 448December 19, 2017 6:09 PM

Maharis was high maintenance on Route 66 and Milner didn't enjoy working with him. He never had that level of notoriety but you could say the same about half or more of the people who were on a series in the earl/mid-60s. He may not have had that level of exposure again but he continued to work even if it was tv movies and guest shots on forgettable shows like Barnaby Jones.

Hair transplants became popular/relatively affordable in the mid-70s.

by Anonymousreply 449December 19, 2017 10:39 PM

Maharis eschewed hair transplants. He went all out with an Eva Gabor wig in Bess Myerson mink brown.

by Anonymousreply 450December 20, 2017 2:53 AM

And R428, right after the show Tab went home and fucked Tony Perkins's brains out, and Dorothy Kilgallen went out on the town with Johnny Ray and was not fucked that night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451December 20, 2017 5:11 AM

R451, He liked the menfolk, not quinces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452December 20, 2017 5:20 AM

I think Maharis was in the first production of Albee's "Zoo Story, " about a park pickup. Hmm.

He was dynamite in "Route 66."

by Anonymousreply 453December 20, 2017 6:54 AM

Wasn't Mahararis really fired from Route 66. He was supposed to have gotten caught in some bathroom sting by the cops and the studio had the whole thing hushed up. The producers forced him to resign and made out he was leaving due to "creative differences". The arrest was separate to his later one in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 454December 20, 2017 2:41 PM

[quote]Maharis eschewed hair transplants. He went all out with an Eva Gabor wig in Bess Myerson mink brown.

He only did that so he could hide the tape. He did the Lucy O'Ball fake face lift, where you pull the skin up, put tape on it to hold and hide it under a wig.

by Anonymousreply 455December 20, 2017 3:55 PM

Maharis (b. 1928) was arrested November 21, 1974 and charged with committing a sex act with a male hairdresser in the men's room of a gas station in Los Angeles. 46 years old at the time, Maharis was booked on a sex perversion charge and released on $500 bail.

Six years earlier Maharis had been arrested by a vice squad officer for lewd conduct in the restroom of a Hollywood restaurant; the officer said Maharis made a pass at him.

Maharis told the story that he had contracted infectious hepatitis in 1962, and that the shoots were so grueling that to continue would risk his health. He asked the producers to give him a less arduous schedule, but they refused, and he left the show, to be replaced by Glenn Corbett in the role of Lincoln Case.

However, others relate a different scenario. Route 66 producer Herbert B. Leonard found out that Maharis was gay and was having a hard time keeping his star’s sexual activities away from the press.

Maharis also used the illness, Leonard said, as an excuse to break his contract so that he could get into movies. Co-star Martin Milner (in the role of Tod) and a Route 66 writer-producer confirm this version.

Maharis eventually did break into movies, but they were all forgettable B-grade films. Maharis also played stage roles, but nothing ever matched his success as Buz on Route 66, and the TV show never recovered from Maharis’s departure.

Maharis also had a singing career, releasing seven albums between the years 1962 and 1966, a time period that overlapped his appearance on Route 66. Maharis regularly appeared in Las Vegas nightclubs during the 1980s.

Well, now that we have that out of the way...

by Anonymousreply 456December 20, 2017 3:59 PM

[quote]Maharis told the story that he had contracted infectious hepatitis in 1962

you get that from eating man ass

by Anonymousreply 457December 20, 2017 4:00 PM

I don't think that there are any normal people in Hollywood. It sounds like an absolute snake pit.

by Anonymousreply 458December 20, 2017 4:11 PM

R455: He must have been desperate or a real cheap bastard to do that. That reminds me of a story I heard about the old wigs from the 1960s and 70s. Apparently, the tape for the wigs wasn't very good back then and people who were let's say" active" and didn't want any embarrassments would use superglue to hold the toupee in place. Because of all the oils and sweat in the human scalp the glue would usually break down after about 48 hours and the hair piece could be removed without causing any harm. However, sometimes a lover or partner would grab onto the hair piece and pull it in the heat of passion and this could lead to serious injuries. The one star who it was know to have happened to was Tony Curtis, he had a young girlfriend in the early 1970s and she virtually ripped his superglued wig from his scalp during one lovemaking session. He apparently suffered permanent scarring and the glue ended pulling out the last of his real hair from the front of his scalp.

by Anonymousreply 459December 20, 2017 4:31 PM

Back to my earlier point, Maharis' contemporaries mostly were lucky to be like him after starring in a series: B-movies, tv movies, guest shots on popular tv shows, dinner theater when the money was running out. Glenn Corbett did a soap and tv-movies. Martin Milner had 2 hit tv series but essentially a similar career to Corbett and Maharis otherwise. Maharis was not destined to be the next big leading man and derailed because he was gay--he was lucky to be a continuously working actor and did about average for someone who achieved that in his time.

by Anonymousreply 460December 21, 2017 12:26 AM

Do we still have big stars who are created by a TV series? I guess Jon Hamm was a recent one but look what's (not) happened to him.

George Maharis and Richard Chamberlain were 2 from the early 1960s who seemed on the verge of a breakout into film stardom. It's the rare bird who really succeeds in that transition. Back then, Clint Eastwood and Steve McQueen were 2 who really did.

by Anonymousreply 461December 22, 2017 12:56 PM

Eastwood did it through the backdoor--doing spaghetti Westerns, which tended to be a dead end for most people and meant that stardom came later for him. McQueen's one real contemporary was James Garner, whose appeal was very different and more durable, plus Garner was willing to return to tv when it was time while McQueen had delusions of artistry.

by Anonymousreply 462December 22, 2017 3:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!