Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you heard of Howard Brookner - gay film-maker who died of Aids in 1989

I was just watching a documentary about him made by his nephew.

He apparently only made one film called "Bloodhounds Of Broadway" - which I'd never even heard of. Didn't look too great. Madonna was in it.

He also made a documentary about William Burroughs.

It was interesting though. Caught. the atmosphere of 80s NYC - where I lived then. Reminded me - there was still an energy and creativity - but with AIDS taking so many people away at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 8, 2020 4:17 PM

He was Brad Gooch’s bottom. BG got a book out of it.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2017 11:56 PM

Madonna became one of his dear friends during the making of "Bloodhounds of Broadway." He was battling AIDS at the time but never told anyone. Madonna, however, noticed he wasn't eating and latched on to him like an Italian mamma. As they became more acquainted, Brookner rang up Madge to disclose his illness, but as he stammered to get the words out, Madonna interrupted, "Howard, I already know."

When Brookner was in hospital, Madge visited him regularly, kissed him full on the lips, and hopped into bed with him and kept him company. The DLers here who like to paint Madge as some monstrous megacunt should know that this woman was there for her sick friends when they needed her most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2017 1:42 AM

I don't remember her doing or saying much about AIDS in the 80s when she was such a huge and influential star, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2017 2:23 AM

She supported two close friends who died of AIDS in the 80's and organized a dance-a-thon to benefit the AIDS Project LA in 1989. I also recall that during the height of Dynasty/Rock Hudson "AIDS kiss" hysteria ('85/'86), she appeared on SNL and mocked the fear of kissing someone HIV+.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2017 3:15 AM

Madonna AIDS Benefit Concert, Madison Square Garden, 1987

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2017 5:36 AM

Gone to soon. Brookner was getting ready to do a film adaptation on Brad Gooch's novel "Scary Kisses," starring Sean Penn and Tilda Swinton, when he died.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2017 5:41 AM

[quote]Gone to soon. Brookner was getting ready to do a film adaptation on Brad Gooch's novel "Scary Kisses," starring Sean Penn and Tilda Swinton, when he died.

They said in the documentary how different the culture was after AIDS and how different New York was. All the crap rose to the top.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2017 9:24 AM

Have to watch this. Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2017 2:22 PM

You can rent in an Amazon, R8 - & probably iTunes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2017 2:59 PM

trailer >>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2017 3:05 PM

[quote]When Brookner was in hospital,

If you're American, say, "in the hospital."

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2017 3:11 PM

He's probably NOT American so he said it his way.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2017 7:36 PM

R1 was Brad Gooch infected with HIV?

by Anonymousreply 13May 8, 2020 4:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!