Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I need the best Enchiladas recipe!

Help, DL cooks!

I am craving these suckers and there aren't any good Mexican restaurants around!

Tips, suggestions? I know you won't let me down!

by Anonymousreply 38Last Friday at 8:47 PM

Well, first you'll need one of these

by Anonymousreply 1Last Thursday at 10:25 AM

Red or green?

by Anonymousreply 2Last Thursday at 10:32 AM

Both. And mole as well, por favor!

by Anonymousreply 3Last Thursday at 10:39 AM

I like these.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Thursday at 10:39 AM

OP, they are easy to make!

by Anonymousreply 5Last Thursday at 10:53 AM

Let me tell you about my wonderful Instant Pot recipe for enchiladas!

by Anonymousreply 6Last Thursday at 10:58 AM

Yum!

by Anonymousreply 7Last Thursday at 11:07 AM

Pati / R5, can I make these enchiladas with beef or pork? Why or why not?

by Anonymousreply 8Last Thursday at 11:12 AM

I made some great enchiladas con carne with a paste made from ancho and chipotle chilis. Homesick Texan has some great recipes.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Thursday at 11:19 AM

Here’s the Las Palmas website. There’s a lot of recipes there.

My mom used to make homemade enchiladas using Las Palmas enchiladas sauce. You just get some corn tortillas, Monterey Jack and cheddar shredded cheese, green onions and yellow onions and sliced canned olives. Get a large can of Las Palmas enchilada sauce.

Get a 9 x 13” pan, put some enchilada sauce on the bottom. Put in the tortillas one by one and wet them back and front with enchilada sauce. Put some shredded cheese, both kinds, in the tortilla. Put diced yellow onion and green onion inside with a few olives. Eyeball it. Roll it up and go on to the next one. Keep putting rolled enchiladas one by one until you’ve gone across the whole pan. Put two on the side. Pour more enchilada sauce over them all. Put more cheese, olives and onions over the top. Bake at about 325 for about 25 minutes.

There’s a similar version of this recipe on the can. I’d go with that one. Las Palmas is fairly spicy so if you’re not looking for really hot enchiladas, you don’t need to add a bunch of other stuff.

There’s more elaborate versions that involve frying the tortillas first, or adding more spices, but look at some different recipes and see what you like. Allrecipes.com has a lot of homemade recipes and if you look at several, you’ll get the general idea of what you like.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Thursday at 11:21 AM

R8, you can make enchiladas with any meat you like. Just cook the meat separately ahead of time. When you make enchiladas, you’re basically just heating the ingredients up and melting the cheese, you’re not cooking anything that’s a raw ingredient. .

by Anonymousreply 11Last Thursday at 11:24 AM

[quote] there aren't any good Mexican restaurants around!

OP, are you in New England?

by Anonymousreply 12Last Thursday at 11:31 AM

[quote] Monterey Jack and shredded cheese

Let's ban pre-shredded cheese. Make America grate again.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Thursday at 11:51 AM

Hungry now.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Thursday at 12:03 PM

What is the best cheese for enchiladas?

by Anonymousreply 15Last Thursday at 12:09 PM

I prefer chilis rellenos.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Thursday at 12:27 PM

Monterey Jack cheese works, R15. Or any type of melting cheese, though I've been told Jack is more authentic. After baking, top with cotija or queso fresco.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Thursday at 1:17 PM

Here you go, op.

I think you'll like this recipe.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Thursday at 2:18 PM

R15, my mom used to do half Monterey Jack and half cheddar. She used the coarse shred, not the fine shred, which is really too fine for this.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Thursday at 2:24 PM

I had chilaquiles that I really liked the other day, but I'm unsure how they are different from enchiladas?

by Anonymousreply 20Last Thursday at 6:14 PM

Did someone say JAZZY?

by Anonymousreply 21Last Thursday at 6:17 PM

Enchaladas: I have no idea if it's remotely traditional, but people freak out (in a good way) because I use copious amounts of pepper jack and a ton of grated onion, along with a good, canned enchilada sauce (Las Palmas green is a favorite). This is one of the easiest dishes ever to make, really.

By coincidence, I made a variation of black bean chilaquiles today, R20. Chilaquiles differs from enchaladas in that baked or fried tortillas or chips are used (gives a drier, and sometimes crunchy texture), and the sauce can vary a lot. I layer mine with beans, a bit of straight tomato sauce with jalapeno slices, beans, cilantro, garlic and onions, longhorn cheese throughout and jarred salsa and more cheese on top...lasagne style...baked. This is not a conventional chilaquiles recipe, either!

by Anonymousreply 22Last Thursday at 6:52 PM

by Anonymousreply 23Last Thursday at 6:54 PM

There is this Rick Bayless recipe, OP.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Thursday at 7:09 PM

You eat enchiladas? Ew... I mean they are cute when they curl up in their armored balls on a golf course, but to eat one? Yech.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Thursday at 8:16 PM

Chilaquiles are more commonly served for breakfast. Same goes for migas.

r16 Its CHILES, not chilis.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Thursday at 8:17 PM

You Las Palmas people are vile. If you're going to open a can, OP, get Hatch enchilada sauce from New Mexico. There is none better. At least in the Southwest, it's widely available, for instance, at Kroger-type stores.

by Anonymousreply 27Last Thursday at 8:36 PM

R7, that looks delicious.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Thursday at 10:23 PM

Any good vegetarian recipes?

by Anonymousreply 29Last Friday at 12:44 AM

Enchiladas are overated , picadas and empanadas are better and yuck at anyone who uses american yellow cheeses instead of queso cotija or queso fresco.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Friday at 12:49 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 31Last Friday at 8:00 AM

Stack enchiladas are easier to make - very New Mexico. Here's an authentic recipe, and you can use (a good) canned sauce. And R30, what about gorditas, pupusas and arepas? The problem with all those is that they have to be purchased completely made, or completely made oneself, which is time consuming.

by Anonymousreply 32Last Friday at 10:00 AM

Homesick Texan's King Ranch Chicken Casserole, basically an enchilada casserole:

by Anonymousreply 33Last Friday at 10:02 AM

r25

They hide in golf holes?

by Anonymousreply 34Last Friday at 11:50 AM

r33 I saw Ree Drummond make that on TV and it looked disgusting. Soggy, limp tortillas and canned cream soups? Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Friday at 12:02 PM

Yeah, those stacked enchiladas reveal the truth about Tex-Mex cookery -- it's all the same 7 ingredients just folded different ways.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Friday at 12:06 PM

So which one is the best enchiladas recipe?

by Anonymousreply 37Last Friday at 5:44 PM

Try them all, fat whore R37, and rejoice! for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Friday at 8:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!