Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Nikki Haley: North Korea threat makes U.S. Olympic participation an ‘open question’

Speaking with Fox News’s Martha MacCallum, Haley said that the U.S. would take “every precaution” to ensure the safety of its athletes. Asked if she would “feel comfortable” sending a family member who was on Team USA to PyeongChang, Haley replied, “I think it depends on what’s going on at the time in the country.”

“We have to watch this closely, and it’s changing by the day,” she added.

“We haven’t heard anyone saying they aren’t coming,” Nancy Park, spokeswoman for the PyeongChang Winter Olympics, said after Haley’s comments. “We have regular communication with the [United States Organizing Committee] and they always express their commitment of the athletes coming over to PyeongChang.”

Nor were businesses panicking, according to The Post’s Yoonjung Seo, who is in PyeongChang. “The U.S. team hasn’t made a clear decision yet so I’m not too worried about it at this moment,” said Cho Hyun-sub, who opened a dumpling store right across from the main Olympic stadium three months ago. Maybe I’ve become desensitized to the North Korean threat, but I’m not worried about it much because I have full confidence in the military capability of my country and the U.S.”

On Wednesday, Haley was asked by MacCallum, “In terms of the threat of potential military action in that region … do you think it is safe for [U.S. athletes] to go there in this environment?”

“I think those are conversations we are going to have to have, but what have we always said? We don’t ever fear anything, we live our lives,” Haley said. ” . . . And certainly that is a perfect opportunity for all of them to go and do something they have worked so hard for.

“What we will do is, we will make sure that we’re taking every precaution possible to make sure that they’re safe, and to know everything that’s going on around them.”

“Is that a done deal — is the United States recommending that our team goes, or is that still an open question, in this environment?” MacCallum asked.

“There’s an open question. I have not heard anything about that, but I do know in the talks that we have — whether it’s Jerusalem, whether it’s North Korea — it’s always about, how do we protect the U.S. citizens in the area?”

by Anonymousreply 3Last Thursday at 5:55 AM

As of December 2 there was nothing to worry about, I wonder what dopey thing has happened since then to make Haley put on such a show.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Thursday at 5:33 AM

[quote]Baier: "Should Americans feel safe about going to the Winter Olympics in Seoul in February?"

[quote]McMaster: "Yes."

by Anonymousreply 2Last Thursday at 5:33 AM

[quote][bold]Will Donald Trump Feud With Lindsey Vonn Next? Skier Won’t Represent President at Winter Olympics[/bold]

[quote]U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Wednesday it was an “open question” as to whether the country will send athletes to South Korea for the Winter Olympics amid tensions with the North.

[quote]But if the U.S. does send its athletes to Pyeongchang, then Lindsey Vonn has made it clear she will not be representing President Donald Trump.

[quote]"I hope to represent the people of the United States, not the president," Vonn said from Switzerland on Wednesday night. "I take the Olympics very seriously and what they mean and what they represent, what walking under our flag means in the opening ceremony.

[quote]"I want to represent our country well. I don't think that there are a lot of people currently in our government that do that."

by Anonymousreply 3Last Thursday at 5:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!