Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Australia Celebrates As Parliament Approves Same-Sex Marriage

Public opinion was on the side of marriage equality.

Australia’s Parliament passed a bill on Thursday to legalize same-sex marriage following a long push for marriage equality. The House of Representatives approved the legislation after hours of emotional speeches and debate.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Friday at 6:47 PM

Congratulations, finally!

All of Europe needs to legalize same-sex marriage. Asia, what's going on?

by Anonymousreply 1Last Wednesday at 9:56 PM

Tragic. A world in rebellion to God begging for the wrath it deserves. Repent or perish.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Wednesday at 9:59 PM

Liza was marrying gay Australians before it was legal.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Wednesday at 10:16 PM

Liza has always been ahead of her time. Everyone else has finally caught up to her.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Wednesday at 10:22 PM

I gay-married my gay kangaroo, then I accidentally flushed him down the toilet the wrong way!

And he died.

Now I'm a gay Ozzie widow! Priscilla4Evah!

by Anonymousreply 5Last Wednesday at 11:56 PM

Get it, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Thursday at 12:05 AM

What took them so long? Spain and Canada have had gay marriage more than a decade.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Thursday at 12:30 AM

Congratulations to fellow Australians. A truly momentous day for gays and lesbians in our country and we have worked so hard for so long for this!!!

Finally acceptance by public decree.

by Anonymousreply 8Last Thursday at 12:33 AM

I remember when I saw the wonderful "It's Time" video produced some SIX years ago, I figured Australia would get there before the USA. (How wrong I was about the level of homophobia in the country!)

Anyway, Congratulations! It's been a long, long, long, time coming.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Friday at 4:37 PM

Good on you, Australia!

Next stop: Israel!

by Anonymousreply 10Last Friday at 4:38 PM

Just fuck off R9 - there isn't a "that level of homophobia" in Australia.

Our Federal politicians have repeatedly stopped the many and various legal movements in Federal Parliament to have same sex marriage introduced even though there was consistently high Australian public support for introducing same sex marriage into law for years and years now. The current right-wing federal government have done everything they possibly can to hold it up and stop it. Finally they forced a public postal survey on us which was run via the Australian Bureau of Statistics. It was non-compulsory and the government hoped it would fail because only the truly dedicated no voters who are mostly religious and older people - would vote.

Instead, 80% of registered Australian voters returned the postal survey - which none of us had to do. 61.6% voted in favour of same sex marriage and 38.4% voted against changing the law. In Australian history this was the largest resounding YES in our country's history of voting in state or federal elections - short of compulsory Federal referendums. It was a resounding YES! Overall, 133 of the 150 Australian Federal electorates voted “yes”, and 17 “no”. The no electorates had high levels of recent immigrants who overwhelmingly religious christians and muslims.

But you know - don't let facts get in the way.

And here are the facts from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Now shouldn't you be off and posting in that thread about how Australia is a such a terrible country?

by Anonymousreply 11Last Friday at 5:00 PM

This is staggering. For once something went RIGHT.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Friday at 5:24 PM

R11 Actually, I was criticizing myself more than anything for erroneously thinking (some six years ago) that it would be a walk in the park for SSM to pass in Australia. But honestly, the "level of homophobia" which I was implying is exactly what you said when you wrote:

[quote] Our Federal politicians have repeatedly stopped the many and various legal movements in Federal Parliament to have same sex marriage introduced even though there was consistently high Australian public support for introducing same sex marriage into law for years and years now. The current right-wing federal government have done everything they possibly can to hold it up and stop it.

I apologize for not being clearer. Instead of using the word "country," I should have said "government."

And ftr - I've never participated in any thread here on Australia being a terrible country.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Friday at 6:01 PM

Straight people shouldn’t get to vote on the rights of minorities, no matter how happy the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Friday at 6:07 PM

Everyone please block the R2 nut job

by Anonymousreply 15Last Friday at 6:45 PM

Fantastic news!

by Anonymousreply 16Last Friday at 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!