Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

David Cassidy died with only $150,000

... and cut his daughter out of the will.

by Anonymousreply 153Last Saturday at 3:02 PM

I'm surprised he didn't die flat broke. He and he daughter barely knew each other. That's probably why he didn't leave her anything in his will. They didn't really have a relationship at all.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Wednesday at 11:06 AM

Sometimes you gotta get tough with your kids.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Wednesday at 11:08 AM

Well he could easily have been broke. So?

by Anonymousreply 3Last Wednesday at 11:08 AM

The daughter has worked steadily for a few years now, so she'll be okay. Perhaps he left his money to another family member who needs it more.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Wednesday at 11:10 AM

Was it for reasons well known to her?

by Anonymousreply 5Last Wednesday at 11:11 AM

Nope, since the other kids didn't get cut out. And as R4 pointed out, she needs the money the least.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Wednesday at 11:13 AM

I don’t know anything about the relationship but yes it’s quite possible that she was excluded because she’s a working actress with a good income, and she wasn’t raised as one of his kids.

It’s also possible they fell out, but it doesn’t seem so from what they said about each other.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Wednesday at 11:15 AM

Can somebody give the background on the daughter?

by Anonymousreply 8Last Wednesday at 11:16 AM

All the booze that went through his system and the desire to sexually experiment with men was never there? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 9Last Wednesday at 11:17 AM

You should never cut someone li,e your child completely out of your will. You leave them something out of respect and love for them.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Wednesday at 11:17 AM

Fine, we'll buy her some bootleg DVDs of [italic]David Cassidy: Man Undercover[/italic] to make her feel better. Maybe Susan Dey can offer words of encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Wednesday at 11:17 AM

He just sperm donated to her, they had no relationship when she was growing up. It's not like there would be a ton left after final expenses, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Wednesday at 11:19 AM

I guess Katie was / is independent enough so she didn't have to suck up to him. Usually parents "reward" suck ups who jumped through hoops for their parents in order to please them.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Wednesday at 11:19 AM

I just read the article before seeing it posted here. The will was written in 2004, so way before the daughter started working. He left everything to his son, except music memorabilia which was left to his half siblings. He said he didn't raise the daughter at all and is only her father in the biological sense.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Wednesday at 11:22 AM

We are always happy to see something bad happen to a fish!

by Anonymousreply 15Last Wednesday at 11:25 AM

What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Wednesday at 11:32 AM

If his home and cars were paid for and he had some sort of yearly income from royalties and residuals, that’s a nice chunk of change.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Wednesday at 11:42 AM

His son Beau is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Wednesday at 11:46 AM

My bad, I thought he had $150,000 in cash PLUS other assets. If his total assets were $150,000 then that’s downright awful.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Wednesday at 11:46 AM

How awful.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Wednesday at 11:47 AM

😂 You’re right, Darfur Orphan. From a different perspective, I guess he was doing just fine.

by Anonymousreply 21Last Wednesday at 11:49 AM

Damn. Beau is fine!

by Anonymousreply 22Last Wednesday at 11:52 AM

He looks like a butch lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Wednesday at 11:54 AM

He looks like a fem Rachel Maddow.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Wednesday at 11:56 AM

Kate's not bad herself

by Anonymousreply 25Last Wednesday at 11:57 AM

If he died with 150K, he was broke. After legal fees, accountants fees, real estate commissions, state and federal taxes and funeral expenses - Goose eggs.

I guess anyone who sells any gossip pockets the money, but it doesn't go to the hypothetical estate.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Wednesday at 12:13 PM

Is the daughter who is cut out of the will the same daughter who told the word what David’s last words were?

The daughter (this one?) tweeted or posted on social media that David’s last words were “So much wasted time.”

I bristled when I read that. What a sad, personal thing to expose to the world. Totally inappropriate for her to share something like that beyond the closest of family members.

Did she expose him out of revenge or anger?

by Anonymousreply 27Last Wednesday at 12:20 PM

Katie looks like her grandma, Florence Henderson.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Wednesday at 12:41 PM

Let that be a lesson to you r27. When your time comes, keep yer fat trap shut!

by Anonymousreply 29Last Wednesday at 12:48 PM

Well you can’t take it with you! Everyone should die broke and happy.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Wednesday at 12:54 PM

OP you're not one of those nitwits that think all celebrities are millionaires do you?

by Anonymousreply 31Last Wednesday at 1:01 PM

R16: It is not for you to judge the journey of another's Soul. It is for you to decide who you are, not who another has been, or has failed to be.

by Anonymousreply 32Last Wednesday at 1:16 PM

Teen pop star doesn’t pay....

by Anonymousreply 33Last Wednesday at 1:29 PM

I just lost $150k in Vegas!

by Anonymousreply 34Last Wednesday at 1:34 PM

David evidently(according to his biography) lost millions in a phony oil scam in the 70s..

by Anonymousreply 35Last Wednesday at 2:04 PM

R16 = Seth MacFarlane

by Anonymousreply 36Last Wednesday at 2:10 PM

She only has her career because of his last name so in my estimation he did alright by her.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Wednesday at 2:13 PM

[quote]Can somebody give the background on the daughter?

She's the product of a fling. Her mom was probably a groupie.

They never had a close relationship when she was a kid, but legally he was required to pay support and he did. About the time that he and Katie were working on getting to know each other, Katie's mom decided it would be a good time for Katie to break into show business. Her managers thought that the best way would be for Katie to do a remake of "I think I love You" so she could capitalize on being David's daughter. Needless to say David thought it was cheap and that she was too young to be in show business anyway. (Over the years it has been implied by Katie and her mom that he was jealous.)

There was a program about Katie at this time that followed her through this whole process of making the single, promoting it ect., but I don't recall what channel it was on. They were hoping the single would be a hit on Disney radio, but I think it flopped. I didn't hear anything about her until she re-emerged as an actress some years later.

She was always asked about her father in interviews and it seemed that they were more frequently estranged than not.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Wednesday at 2:14 PM

a phony scam seems redundant

by Anonymousreply 39Last Wednesday at 2:39 PM

(R27), I have to wonder if those really were his last words, or the words she wanted him to say.

Since she was sheone who made the announcement, you have to wonder. Of course, there have been no rebuttals...

by Anonymousreply 40Last Wednesday at 2:49 PM

It's like he wanted to die a drunk because he felt it would be less painful and degrading than dying a vegetable like his mother.

by Anonymousreply 41Last Wednesday at 2:50 PM

He was forever bitter and miserable that he didn't become the huge rock star he thought he should be, and was always a former teen idol. But that's showbiz.

by Anonymousreply 42Last Wednesday at 2:53 PM

Yet his father busted his ass in musical theater and died bitter that his son became an overnight sensation overshadowing him.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Wednesday at 3:07 PM

[quote]Yet his father busted his ass in musical theater and died bitter that his son became an overnight sensation overshadowing him.

Burned up with jealousy one could say.

by Anonymousreply 44Last Wednesday at 3:16 PM

[quote] He was forever bitter and miserable that he didn't become the huge rock star he thought he should be, and was always a former teen idol. But that's showbiz.

He felt like [italic]The Partridge Family[/italic] held him back from being taken seriously by rock musicians even though he came from a musical theater family. He wanted to be a rocker, but he played the part of a teen idol better than anyone. He had talent, looks, and sex appeal to both women and men, and he knew it. Even towards the end there were traces of the hotness that once was.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Wednesday at 3:28 PM

He and his father both died bitter. It's sad. So many of the hard-rock bands were making their mark at the same time that he was singing bubble gum music. There was no way he could have made the transition to rocker and be taken seriously.

As far as his final words, his son Beau as well as his brothers were also in the room with him when he passed. No one has refuted what the daughter has said.

He lived in Fort Lauderdale not far from me. He has lost so much over the years. Sadly, he had a disease called alcoholism.

RIP David

by Anonymousreply 46Last Wednesday at 3:35 PM

His huge stardom as a teen idol lasted approximately two years. TWO years and then it was all over. In a piece entitled "David Cassidy: His Tragedy Is Over", an interviewer named Ron Onesti talks about his experiences with Cassidy, who by that time was way past his glory days:

Then, there was "Keith" from "The Partridge Family," David Cassidy. I DID have quite a bit of unique experiences with him, albeit not as pleasant, unfortunately. But there were a few pleasantries we exchanged during the two shows I did with him.

The first time I met David, I was instructed to get a day room across the street at the Hotel Baker so that he didn't have to use our dressing rooms, as a matter of his "safety." I thought, "Whatever," and got him the room.

I greeted his limousine as I met him in front of The Baker, only to have him roll down his window half way and ask if there was a rear entrance to the hotel. He then met me at the back door of the hotel kitchen, in a baseball hat, sunglasses and collar-turned-up trench coat (it was the middle of summer), and proceeded to go directly to his room, avoiding the imaginary throngs of fans there to greet him.

He showed up later to his show, entering the backstage door about five minutes before showtime. He was tripping over his words, and seemed "under the influence" of some liquid "confidence builder."

He did his show, but not without a few uncomfortable moments and exchanges with the audience. He did quite a bit of talking in between songs, more editorial about world affairs and his relationship with John Lennon than heartwarming stories of his years as a teen idol. He did do the hits; many he sang differently than the original recordings, but still, much of the audience was thrilled to have a brush with their teen love.

Yes, it was somewhat of a challenging day. I truly had heartfelt sympathy for the guy because he was definitely experiencing personal struggles. I could see the will to entertain was still in his soul, but his demons got in the way of his ability to unleash the talent he once had.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Wednesday at 3:38 PM

Alcoholism is a disease? If booze hadn’t been invented would anyone have it?

by Anonymousreply 48Last Wednesday at 3:39 PM

He filed for bankruptcy in 2015 - guess there wasn't much in the way of residuals for his tv or music.

Wiki also said "Though he wanted to become a respected rock musician along the lines of Mick Jagger, his channel to stardom launched him into the ranks of teen idol, a brand he loathed..."

Mick Fucking Jagger? That's like me saying I've been working on a novel about the South and I want to become respected along the lines of William Faulkner...

Sheesh. Entitled much?

by Anonymousreply 49Last Wednesday at 3:41 PM

She probably had a father figure that wasn't absentee, like David was. Her stand in dad that raised her was surely no drunk.

by Anonymousreply 50Last Wednesday at 3:49 PM

R48 I saw him on an interview with Dr. Phil. They both discussed his disease of alcoholism. I'm not making this stuff up.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Wednesday at 3:57 PM

Cassidy had a huge ego. I think he DID believe that he had the wherewithal to be a rock star "along the lines of Mick Jagger." He evidently was quite full of himself.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Wednesday at 4:01 PM

It's doubtful he had much money left to leave to anyone so the daughter shouldn't feel too badly. Furthermore now that he's gone and a lot of the tensions he brought gone with him, maybe she can reach out and have a relationship with the rest of the Cassidys. They seem a family-oriented bunch, inc Shirley Jones.

by Anonymousreply 53Last Wednesday at 4:03 PM

Yes, he really did think he had the talent to be another Mick Jagger or Robert Plant, but for some reason he thought the world owed it to him. It's such a shame that he was so delusional, because if he concentrated more on musical theater or television work he could've had a decent career along the lines of his father or stepmother.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Wednesday at 4:07 PM

[quote] He filed for bankruptcy in 2015 - guess there wasn't much in the way of residuals for his tv or music.

Screen Gems didn't seem to be good at paying royalties. Larry Hagman barely made a dime from the reruns of [italic]I Dream of Jeannie[/italic], so it's not surprising David didn't see too big of a payout from his show going into syndication.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Wednesday at 4:07 PM

Katie is doing alright for herself. She has a recurring role on Arrow playing a bad-ass bitch. I think that's her strength. She was so low-key when she was playing a nice girl.

She was the best Ruby on Supernatural and now she can beat up on Oliver and that bitch, Felicity.

by Anonymousreply 56Last Wednesday at 4:30 PM

If she isn't in the will, then she doesn't have to pay any estate tax. Plus his estate (his likeness) can be licensed, so the heirs to David Cassidy estate could potentially reap millions if handled right.

But since Katie was cut out, she doesn't get a dime to any future earning from the estate.

by Anonymousreply 57Last Wednesday at 4:37 PM

You certainly don't need a retinue of handlers for an estate that size. Accountants? Hardly. A lawyer can handle it or you can even do it yourself. The vast majority of that estate will go to its beneficiary.

by Anonymousreply 58Last Wednesday at 4:38 PM

I'm surprised the daughter was there to hear his last words since they didn't seem close at all.

by Anonymousreply 59Last Wednesday at 4:43 PM

Also David was cremated - no expensive coffin/embalming etc. I remember ads for the Neptune Society years ago, I think it was only $600 for a cremation package including burial at sea.

If you really want to save money, you can donate your body to a medical school or a forensic center where they will use you to do research on how fast the body rots under different conditions. Homicide investigators train at these places.

by Anonymousreply 60Last Wednesday at 4:46 PM

[quote]Mick Fucking Jagger? That's like me saying I've been working on a novel about the South and I want to become respected along the lines of William Faulkner...

Well, he did golf with Alice Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Wednesday at 4:49 PM

I read a book by Ann Moses about Tiger Beat Magazine and how, once he became hot, Cassidy was a total bitch to everyone, including her. She had to follow him around and file stories like "David's First Kiss" and he wouldn't talk to her. Finally, she talked to someone who talked to Cassidy's father (before he fried himself), and Cassidy Jr. suddenly realized the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and if I don't talk to these people my career might end up like his, minus the burning mattress.

by Anonymousreply 62Last Wednesday at 4:50 PM

He could have had Broadway for as long as he wanted it but he settled for Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Wednesday at 4:54 PM

"... so the heirs to David Cassidy estate could potentially reap millions if handled right."

Well, he's no Leif Garrett.

by Anonymousreply 64Last Wednesday at 4:56 PM

Who'd have thought Leif would outlive him?

by Anonymousreply 65Last Wednesday at 4:58 PM

Leave Leif alone

by Anonymousreply 66Last Wednesday at 5:29 PM

Okay, R66.

by Anonymousreply 67Last Wednesday at 5:32 PM

R32, you've posted that elsewhere before, and while it's a nice thought, sometimes you need to call a spade a spade.

by Anonymousreply 68Last Wednesday at 6:01 PM

[quote] Well, he's no Leif Garrett.

He is no Robert Reed either but Reed daughter has refused to allow his likeness to be used on any Brady Bunch memorabilia, denying herself and her children any money from exploiting his image.

by Anonymousreply 69Last Wednesday at 6:05 PM

R47: His 2 years of fame are more time at the top than a lot of people who still tour (even if it's "community days" type events) and often do things behind the scenes--write, produce, etc. that enable them to make a decent living from music.

by Anonymousreply 70Last Wednesday at 6:31 PM

Wait. Robert Reed has a daughter?

by Anonymousreply 71Last Wednesday at 7:06 PM

Here is a link to the oil field scam that Cassidy fell for in the 70s. It got a lot of big names, including Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Wednesday at 7:20 PM

[quote] Wait. Robert Reed has a daughter?

He had three.

All of them had hair of gold, like their mother.

The youngest one in curls.

by Anonymousreply 73Last Wednesday at 7:21 PM

The last time David was pulled over for DUI, he had a bottle of Taaka vodka in the car. Taaka is that rot gut vodka that sells for $6/quart.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Wednesday at 7:21 PM

I thought he died after eating Shirley Jones' road-apple pie??

by Anonymousreply 75Last Wednesday at 8:17 PM

Even I left more than that

by Anonymousreply 76Last Wednesday at 9:36 PM

Robert Reed's daughter was on the Brady Bunch. If you recall the episode where Marcia gives a slumber party, his daughter (who is downright ugly), Florence's daughter and Sherwood Schwartz's daughter appeared as Marcia's friends. Schwartz's daughter played the girl who drew the picture that got Marcia into trouble.

by Anonymousreply 77Last Wednesday at 9:38 PM

He was peaking in 1972 here in the US as his career in the UK was taking off, exploding for the next 2 years over there. The concert fatality was in 1974.

by Anonymousreply 78Last Wednesday at 10:07 PM

He had a nice bush in the 70s

by Anonymousreply 79Last Wednesday at 10:10 PM

I remember when he was on the Celebrity Apprentice and he was the first to get fired. He kept calling his daughter to come by and donate and when she finally did, he kept saying my daughter Katie Cassidy is here. The whole interaction was weird and I was surprised she had the thousands of dollars to donate since she seemed to have just started acting.

by Anonymousreply 80Last Wednesday at 10:26 PM

Why leave anything behind?

by Anonymousreply 81Last Wednesday at 10:40 PM

Katie Cassidy's mom eventually married a doctor. They're rich. She's going to inherit a lot more than her sperm donor would've ever left her.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Thursday at 1:00 AM

For the record: Katie Cassidy was born on November 25, 1986, in Los Angeles. She is the only daughter from the short-lived relationship of actor and singer David Cassidy and fashion model Sherry Williams. Cassidy's paternal grandparents were actors Jack Cassidy and Evelyn Ward, and is the niece of teen idol and television producer Shaun Cassidy and actor Patrick Cassidy. Cassidy has a younger half-brother named Beau, born in 1991, from her father's third marriage to Sue Shifrin. After Cassidy's parents ended their relationship, she was raised by her mother and her stepfather, Richard Benedon. In her youth, Cassidy was on the competitive cheerleader team the California Flyers. A resident of Bell Canyon, California, she attended Calabasas High School.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Thursday at 4:36 AM

For reasons that are well-known to her.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Thursday at 4:39 AM

David's three half-siblings will get anything that is deemed to be "music memorabilia," the report said.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Thursday at 4:42 AM

So a half-sibling outranks a daughter - Ouch!

He lived like an alkie asshole, and he died like one. Next.

by Anonymousreply 86Last Thursday at 4:44 AM

It's obviously because she was illegitimate. I would be mortified if I was illegitimate.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Thursday at 5:12 AM

R46 he was in talks to have an album produced by David Bowie but he broke off negotiations because he wasn't comfortable around certain 'transexual' members of Bowie's entourage. He wasn't prepared to take risks - his loss. There's actually a photo of him with Andy Warhol, so it's not like he didn't have any contacts in the rock world.

by Anonymousreply 88Last Thursday at 5:27 AM

[quote] I would be mortified if I was illegitimate.

Oh Hon, call your Mom. You need to talk.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Thursday at 5:28 AM

How would anyone know the size of his estate within a week of his death? If he owned a home anywhere in SoCal his estate is more than $150k. He would have qualified for some form of govt-funded healthcare or SAG, so his end-of-life care would not have depleted his assets. He was enormously successful and would have had a significant estate unless he gave his money away before his death.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Thursday at 5:54 AM

R90 Cassidy hasn’t been enormously successful in over 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Thursday at 5:57 AM

[quote][R46] he was in talks to have an album produced by David Bowie but he broke off negotiations because he wasn't comfortable around certain 'transexual' members of Bowie's entourage.

Yet he didn't feel emasculated by having long hair and didn't mind a duet with George Michael.

by Anonymousreply 92Last Thursday at 6:09 AM

David Cassidy did more to normalize male androgyny in the mainstream than David Bowie. So did David Tomlinson by wearing an apron in [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 93Last Thursday at 6:20 AM

R92 that's what he said in his autobiography. Perhaps there was more to it than that.

by Anonymousreply 94Last Thursday at 6:26 AM

R93 that might have been true in the US (about Cassidy) but not in the UK. David Cassidy was not seen as an androgynous figure in the UK. It was Bowie, Marc Bolan and various other glam rockers. There again, Britain had the mods in the 60's who liked dressing up and wearing a bit of make up. Perhaos that was tge start of it.

by Anonymousreply 95Last Thursday at 6:33 AM

[quote][R92] that's what he said in his autobiography. Perhaps there was more to it than that.

Consider his father's bisexuality along with his jealousy of his son's success. Meanwhile, his marriage to Shirley Jones ended the same year the TV show ended.

[quote][R93] that might have been true in the US (about Cassidy) but not in the UK. David Cassidy was not seen as an androgynous figure in the UK. It was Bowie, Marc Bolan and various other glam rockers. There again, Britain had the mods in the 60's who liked dressing up and wearing a bit of make up. Perhaps that was the start of it.

If you lived in the US and hadn't been alive in the 1970s and had to live through it vicariously through your parents (my mom saw him live; did I inherit her taste in men?), oldies radio, and cable TV reruns, you might look at it differently. And also the UK decriminalized homosexuality first. There was still a bit of resistance to it all stateside. I recall my dad hated both [italic]The Brady Bunch[/italic] and [italic]The Partridge Family[/italic]; he was in the high school and college band at the time and it cheesed him to see what he considered fakes and phonies get ahead. He preferred hard rock; so did David.

And much like how Samson in the Bible didn't lose his strength and ultimately his life until after he lost his hair, the same is true of David Cassidy. It was only after he cut his hair that his downward spiral after coming back in the 1990s really began.

by Anonymousreply 96Last Thursday at 6:47 AM

[quote]And much like how Samson in the Bible didn't lose his strength and ultimately his life until after he lost his hair, the same is true of David Cassidy. It was only after he cut his hair that his downward spiral after coming back in the 1990s really began.

Yes, if only he had kept his hair long, he would have been No. 1 on Billboard every year of his life.

by Anonymousreply 97Last Thursday at 6:52 AM

Wasn't his daughter on the new(er) Melrose Place?

I thought she was one of the few people on the show who had "it"

by Anonymousreply 98Last Thursday at 6:53 AM

R23

what do you mean 'looks like' ? I've been told the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 99Last Thursday at 6:58 AM

I'm sorry to say this but it's hard for me to feel lots of sympathy for someone who was given more possibilities than most & who by his own actions pissed it all away.

I'd feel sorry for someone who had things beyond his control ruined him. That is not the case with David Cassidy.

by Anonymousreply 100Last Thursday at 7:01 AM

[quote]He and his father both died bitter. It's sad. So many of the hard-rock bands were making their mark at the same time that he was singing bubble gum music. There was no way he could have made the transition to rocker and be taken seriously.

Musical theater was what they were both best suited to. Even some of David's records outside [italic]Partridge[/italic] recorded concurrently has kind of an MOR feel, although the arrangements are good and he sings them well.

by Anonymousreply 101Last Thursday at 7:03 AM

damn, i thought he had more money. where did it all go?

by Anonymousreply 102Last Thursday at 7:07 AM

[quote]Teen pop star doesn’t pay....

It pays, just not to the performers. It pays to the managers and the promoters and the music publishers and the record companies. Without the music, such as it was, it would be glorified pederasty. That's why all the boy band boys, at least the non-gay ones, grow up to be fuck-ups. Maybe David sensed this. He was 20 when [italic]Partridge[/italic] began but playing someone younger than that while being sold as a sex symbol. He probably saw stuff that scarred him for life.

by Anonymousreply 103Last Thursday at 7:10 AM

I confused about his long hair being controversial in the 1970s. Didn't the fucking Beatles play on Ed Sullivan's show in 1964 - the Rolling Stones played Ed Sullivan in 1966 and they made Mick say "Let's spend some time together" instead of "Let's spend the night together" -- and before them, there was Elvis Presley girating his pelvis and Little Richard doing his drag queen act on tv... I really thought the Partridge Family including David were about as racy as The Ozzie and Harriet Show with pretty-boy Ricky.

by Anonymousreply 104Last Thursday at 7:42 AM

* I'M confused - not I confused

by Anonymousreply 105Last Thursday at 7:44 AM

[quote] If you really want to save money, you can donate your body to a medical school or a forensic center where they will use you to do research on how fast the body rots under different conditions. Homicide investigators train at these places.

I'm not sure that's entirely true, R60. My mother passed away last fall and she signed up for that as a way for us to not have to pay for burial. As it turns out -- and I think this has something to do with it not being legal to "buy" bodies or body parts (and paying for disposal for the family might fall under that) -- the university/morgue returns the remains to the family for burial. They said (in Pennsylvania) this can take up to 2 years. So, we learned we would have to wait on the return, and still be responsible for taking care of her remains whenever that happened; so, we would not be relieved of burial or cremation costs.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Thursday at 7:44 AM

I signed up to donate my body to a University Medical School several years ago-- the papers said that after the body was used (2 years at most?), the hospital cremates the remains (or has them cremated) and holds a yearly service around Easter time for any relatives who might want to go to the hospital ceremony. (this is University of Mississippi Medical Center) - no cost to donator at all. Just call asap when the person dies, preferably within 2 hrs, and they'll send a truck or whatever to collect the body, free of charge, anywhere in the state.

by Anonymousreply 107Last Thursday at 7:50 AM

Oh and if you want the ashes they'll give them to you - up to family members.

by Anonymousreply 108Last Thursday at 7:51 AM

I'm surprised that he had so little, if this story is true. I know someone in a similar position career-wise who makes $200-300k a year touring small places like David did.

They have a paid for fairly modest house and still get to do what they enjoy.

Must have been the booze and possibly drugs to end up like that.

by Anonymousreply 109Last Thursday at 8:02 AM

[quote]I really thought the Partridge Family including David were about as racy as The Ozzie and Harriet Show with pretty-boy Ricky.

Ricky Nelson never posed nude for [italic]Rolling Stone[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 110Last Thursday at 8:06 AM

[quote]If he owned a home anywhere in SoCal his estate is more than $150k.

In coastal areas yes and in a bigger city like Santa Barbara yes, but there are lots of desert communities where that is high.

You can also own a million dollar home and have it mortgaged to the hilt. Cassidy admits in his own book that he didn't work like he should've in the 70s and wasted most of it. Maureen "Marcia Brady" McCormick is another that stated she could've worked at the large number of small parts offered her all the time, but she was too wasted to do so, or didn't want to be bothered.

Both Dawn "Mary Ann" Wells and Kathy "Cissy -Family Affair" Garver both have worked steady since the 60s and made a living by doing small regional parts, theatre and voice overs. They aren't wealthy but are working actresses, enough to earn a living. Sean Astin said before "Lord of the Rings" he made about $300K a year acting

So there are lots of opportunities to make money just not the huge salaries. As Nell Carter said, "Sure I was making $25,000 a week but I spent $30,000/week on cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 111Last Thursday at 8:14 AM

Why are white men so beautiful on the outside and so ugly on the inside?

by Anonymousreply 112Last Thursday at 8:34 AM

David's last house that he owned, after his bankruptcy was here in Fort Lauderdale. And mind you, not in a highly affluent area. Sadly, he pissed his life away with alcohol and bad decisions. If those were his final words, then it sounded like he died with regrets. And that's a shame, considering all the opportunities he was given.

by Anonymousreply 113Last Thursday at 8:48 AM

[quote]As Nell Carter said, "Sure I was making $25,000 a week but I spent $30,000/week on cocaine.

Her food budget for a week was the same as Kari Michaelsen's for a year.

by Anonymousreply 114Last Thursday at 9:25 AM

All this hand-wringing over a lifelong alchie douchebag. 150K is a surprisingly large sum for this loser.

by Anonymousreply 115Last Thursday at 10:20 AM

well, he has a lot of expenses, manager, accountant, PR etc. that's why celebs don't really make as much as you think they do and many actresses have to whore themselves out.

by Anonymousreply 116Last Thursday at 12:39 PM

R96 I'm sure you're right. There probably were quite significant cultural differences between the UK and the USA at that time. In the UK David Cassidy was seen purely as a straight guy with longish hair and a pretty face, with no hint of androgony or gender bending.

by Anonymousreply 117Last Thursday at 8:51 PM

Like I said, the UK got a head start. He was partly responding to everything that had come to the UK along with the Beatles and Stones and all that.

by Anonymousreply 118Last Thursday at 8:57 PM

Remember when they showed Cassidy's pubes in Rolling Stone and it caused a sensation?

by Anonymousreply 119Last Thursday at 11:25 PM

[quote] was a program about Katie at this time that followed her through this whole process of making the single, promoting it ect., but I don't recall what channel it was on. They were hoping the single would be a hit on Disney radio, but I think it flopped. I didn't hear anything about her until she re-emerged as an actress some years later.

I remember that documentary. It was on VH1 and it was called Bubblegum Babylon. I remember it detailed other pitfalls in pop music business. I do remember a part in the documentary where Katie listens to bad reviews of her cover I Think I Love You.

by Anonymousreply 120Last Friday at 7:36 AM

At least he didn't die with nothing left like Erin Moran. Didn't Moran blow through money quickly after that lawsuit against CBS regarding royalities?

by Anonymousreply 121Last Friday at 7:39 AM

R121

I had my permed hair

by Anonymousreply 122Last Friday at 9:26 AM

[quote] Remember when they showed Cassidy's pubes in Rolling Stone and it caused a million gay boners?

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 123Last Friday at 9:33 AM

[quote] In the UK David Cassidy was seen purely as a straight guy with longish hair and a pretty face, with no hint of androgony or g*nd*r bending.

That's because there is no such thing as jenn-durr. There's nothing unmanly about a man having long hair.

by Anonymousreply 124Last Friday at 9:36 AM

Wow, his daughter makes more than that by just attending a few Comic Con's a year.

by Anonymousreply 125Last Friday at 9:41 AM

R106 The cadaver I worked on in medical school anatomy class underwent these procedures:

-the arms and legs were chopped off after we completed extremities sections

-the head was removed and separately worked on - we plucked out the eyes and removed part of the brain

-the torso was chopped in half so we could look at the spinal cord, etc

This is how normal dissection in anatomy class occurs

There is NO WAY any medical school "returns" the body, there is no body...

The remains are cremated and families get a nice urn full of ash

by Anonymousreply 126Last Friday at 10:45 AM

r120

They burn your term papers and put it in the urn, who'd know?

by Anonymousreply 127Last Friday at 11:46 AM

Cremating him should have caused quite a blaze.

by Anonymousreply 128Last Friday at 11:57 AM

The actress Theresa Wright donated her body to Yale Medical School. The university owns a plot at Oak Grove cemetery where the cremains of donators are interred.

by Anonymousreply 129Last Friday at 2:34 PM

Hmm, I wonder how many of you have ever seen $150K? It doesn't make him a pauper.

by Anonymousreply 130Last Friday at 6:58 PM

Plenty of us, you idiot. And we aren't burned-out alkies. He threw away everything he was given.

by Anonymousreply 131Last Friday at 8:44 PM

Any tasteful friends here?

Have a look at Cassidy's Fort Lauderdale house that he sold/lost.

by Anonymousreply 132Last Friday at 8:55 PM

"DiVinci" Realty? The place looks like some kind of new money piece of shit that probably went up in 5 minutes and sits in a flood plain. I know that describes most of Florida, but there you have it.

by Anonymousreply 133Last Saturday at 2:27 AM

The house cost him over a MILLION bucks. How is he broke? It's not like he was living in a run down trailer. Pretty darn swank accommodations for someone who just had $150,000.

by Anonymousreply 134Last Saturday at 3:32 AM

R134, he went bankrupt and his house was taken from him.

by Anonymousreply 135Last Saturday at 3:35 AM

Oh, okay. I thought they couldn't do that in Florida. And how was he able to afford a house like that to begin with? The neighborhood isn't too shabby, either.

I kinda feel sorry for him, a bit anyway. He still had looks, talent, was a part of the entertainment world . What happened? He still had "it".

by Anonymousreply 136Last Saturday at 3:42 AM

R8 Cassidy's daughter was apart of that "blonde wave" of pop singers who came after Brittney Spears and Jessica Simpson in the early 2000s, she played the first "Ruby" on "Supernatural", as well as other roles including "Black Canary" on a (DC comics) superhero show (forgot the name). I remember when dhe covered "I think I love you", her father was very verbal that he didn't want her in the industry. He didn't want her to follow his footsteps not of jealousy though. His father was an actor and an asshole jealous of his success. I think David Cassidy left her out of the will because he knew she'd be alright. He wasn't there for her and he was public about it....you could hear the regret and sadness in his voice. I'm glad they got to say their goodbyes, face to face.

by Anonymousreply 137Last Saturday at 4:01 AM

[quote] His father was an actor and an asshole jealous of his success.

He was also a queen who was getting sick and tired of being married to women when he wanted to be with men.

by Anonymousreply 138Last Saturday at 4:09 AM

All in all that's pretty decent of them, R107 /8 Thank you for the info.

by Anonymousreply 139Last Saturday at 4:10 AM

Uh oh...

"David Cassidy's estate is sued for $102,000 by law firm for five years on unpaid legal bills - putting $150,000 worth of assets in peril."

by Anonymousreply 140Last Saturday at 5:31 AM

Goodbye world,

Here's the debts that I'm leaving!

C'mon get money!

After a sickness,

I'm dead, folks are grieving.

C'mon get money!

I had a dream

I'd go singing and dancing,

I'd make an honest living

And impress dear old dad.

He died in a fire,

And now we're back together.

My family got what's left,

And now the lawyers are glad.

Even in death,

All my cash folks are grabbin'!

C'mon get money!

At least I'm not Screech

Who's in jail for a stabbin'!

C'mon get money!

C'mon get money!

C'mon get money-y-y-y-y!

by Anonymousreply 141Last Saturday at 5:43 AM

Shirley Jones took most of it. She would charge him $5 to hold her Oscar and taunt him by saying, "Maybe someday you'll be good enough to win one."

by Anonymousreply 142Last Saturday at 6:00 AM

I'd never do that to my kids.

by Anonymousreply 143Last Saturday at 6:34 AM

His daughter's version of "I Think I Love You" is hilariously bad.

Unlistenable rubbish!

by Anonymousreply 144Last Saturday at 6:55 AM

Jesus Christ R132, he had some nasty furniture!

And all his photos are of himself -- and the cheesy painting of himself strumming the guitar is reminiscent of Micheal Jackson levels of bloated, crazy ego.

by Anonymousreply 145Last Saturday at 6:58 AM

[quote]he went bankrupt and his house was taken from him.

Yes, notice the article uses the word "auctioning" not "selling"

by Anonymousreply 146Last Saturday at 7:01 AM

Andy Williams covered it when it was a new song. Not bad, that is if you like Andy Williams.

by Anonymousreply 147Last Saturday at 7:02 AM

That Katie Cassidy cover was dreadful. I couldn't even listen to it.

by Anonymousreply 148Last Saturday at 7:07 AM

R147 Andy Williams looks like a FtM tranny.

by Anonymousreply 149Last Saturday at 7:41 AM

I'm pretty sure Andy Williams is dead.

by Anonymousreply 150Last Saturday at 9:16 AM

Michael Jackson school of surrealism.

by Anonymousreply 151Last Saturday at 9:42 AM

Andy was gay.

by Anonymousreply 152Last Saturday at 2:50 PM

Andy wasn't gay.

by Anonymousreply 153Last Saturday at 3:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!