Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A Weekend with Bernie

[quote]"It is clear that there is an element of Trump supporters who are racists, sexists, homophobes, and there’s nothing I’m going to say that’s going to appeal to them," he said. "But I think that the vast majority of Trump supporters are people who are in pain, who are struggling economically, who are worried to death that their kids are going to be in even worse shape economically than they are, and they turned to Trump because Trump said things that made sense. He said he was going to take on the establishment, and he was going to provide healthcare to everybody. You know what, it’s pretty much what I said."

I thought we resolved that economic anxiety wasn't the main reason for Trump's win. The median income for Trump voters in the primary was $72K. Did Clinton not win working class as a whole?

What about racism, xenophobia misogyny, GOP's voter suppression & gerrymandering?

by Anonymousreply 37Last Thursday at 2:51 PM

"YOU thought YOU resolved"?

What a patronising, arrogant attitude. Do you assume everyone is as dumb as yourself?

There are many reasons people think and vote in a certain way. Do not assume to know inside the heads of others.

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2017

Can't see you R1. I have you on block. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2017

Good. Bernie and his wing is future of Democratic party. regardless pf Brnie's party affiliation. sooner they get rid Dem establishment better .

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2017

The week before the 2016 election, consumer confidence was at a ten year high and the unemployment rate was at a ten year low. Even so, the MSM and repugs all talked about a terrible malaise throughout the land causing anxiety and uncertainty among the electorate. It was a pile of bullshit. And that BS would still be on the same talking points is despicable.

No Bernie and his wing is not the future of the Democratic party, R3. Both parties are in a freefall.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2017

^ if not Bernie then who?

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2017

Bernie is a corpse. Al is a lecher.

Do you have anything POSITIVE to offer other than throwing shade on others?

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2017

Yea cuz throwing shade on others certainly didn’t work for what is currently there.

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2017

And t is a youthful 71 while 3 year older Bernie is ancient. Riiiiiight.

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2017

Who will lead the Dems?

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2017

[quote]Can't see you [R1]. I have you on block. Sorry.

That’s not the way it works. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2017

R2 = Petulance

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2017

The democrats are heading towards their demise.

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2017

Bernie can go fuck off.

But nice of him to actually come out and admit he's just the flip side of Trump, like most of us have been saying all along.

He's the worst.

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2017

R3 is so fucking delusional. Not even remotely close. Fuck off. Bernie is a cancer on the Democratic party, and on progressivism in general... in much the same way that Trump is a cancer on the GOP and the entire nation.

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2017

Dems can't get their shit together and are going to lose voters the way they are headed. Bernie may be the best hope to uproot Trump and his degenerate administration. Dems are too busy blaming Hillary and attacking each other to care.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2017

[quote] That’s not the way it works. Nice try.

That's exactly how it works, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2017

[quote] ^ if not Bernie then who?

We are NOT electing a 79 year old President, for fuck's sake. Especially one tone deaf to everything except what HE thinks it's important. The man is as inflexible as a steel pole. Politics is not 'my way or the highway'; it's compromise most of the time. Look at what Obama had to navigate to get shit done.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2017

If Bernie thinks he can change so many Republicans' minds by promising healthcare and "taking on the establishment" then why doesn't he just run in the Republican primary in 2020?

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2017

Bernie may be the best bet, Rethugs will just keep getting women to accuse all the Dem candidates of sexual abuse anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2017

Good point, R18.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2017

Back on planet Earth OP, plenty of people making $72K /year have a fuckload of economic anxiety and can barely stay afloat. They are EXACTLY the people Trump is talking to, because they're likely working in jobs that used to afford a middle class lifestyle but no longer do so.

So they're angry and frustrated and looking for someone else to blame.

Sanders himself may be too old to run in 2020, but much of what he says makes a whole lot of sense. And he is able to communicate with large numbers of people in a way that makes them feel good about his message and about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2017

You are overestimating the durability of the current national obsession, R19. In a few months media will find something else to occupy us with.

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2017

R21, we all know that economic anxiety was not the main or the biggest reason why Trump won.

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2017

P.S.

[quote]Sanders himself may be too old to run in 2020, but much of what he says makes a whole lot of sense. And he is able to communicate with large numbers of people in a way that makes them feel good about his message and about themselves.

He ran on the identical platform in the Primaries and lost.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2017

Of course Bernie's "analysis" serves the best interests of... you guessed it!!! Bernie!!!!!!!!

Greedy people, god-squad nuts and deplorables/assholes ain't never gonna vote for ol' Bern.

My hope for Bernie in 2020 is that he has a very successful funeral.

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2017

No OP, we all don't know that.

Just reading through your posts and you're one of the Cecil B. Hilllbottoms and you're not on here to have a discussion, you're on here to tell people why your opinion is the only correct one.

#NotPlaying

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2017

Bernie and his leech wife should jump off the cliff like aging lemmings.

Bernie is the downfall of the Democratic Party. I would rather have Larry David run.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2017

Bernie IS a Republican. He should just fucking run as one. He only gives a shit about straight white guys.

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2017

Bernie, like Trump is still repeating the same few slogans and bromides he bamboozled his daffy admirers with during his failed primary campaign. What a broken record with an absolutely zero record of achievement!

Bernie Sanders thinks the cult of his personality IS meaningful legislation, just like Trump! GO AWAY YOU OLD FOOL!

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2017

R26 - earliest and longest Clinton Derangement Syndrome victim.

Use the block button & stop stalking posters, you old fuck.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2017

OP writes,

[Quote]I thought we resolved that economic anxiety wasn't the main reason for Trump's win.

So, this “we” was a conversation between twelve 65+ Datalounge posters—including yourself—and this is what you believe?

How cute.

by Anonymousreply 31Last Thursday at 1:15 AM

[quote]No OP, we all don't know that.

Yup, we do. Clinton won easily with those who said that their number one concern was the economy.

by Anonymousreply 32Last Thursday at 9:46 AM

[quote]OP, plenty of people making $72K /year have a fuckload of economic anxiety and can barely stay afloat. They are EXACTLY the people Trump is talking to

Yeah. He is talking to them. He is actually demanding donations.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Thursday at 9:52 AM

[quote]So, this “we” was a conversation between twelve 65+ Datalounge posters—including yourself—and this is what you believe?

No, it was actually looking at the data after the election, something you clearly have not done.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Thursday at 10:23 AM

R34,

Quote the margins from 2012 to 2016 and get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Thursday at 10:49 AM

R35, since that is not at all relevant to this discussion, I'm not going to bother. Did you have a point to make?

by Anonymousreply 36Last Thursday at 2:50 PM

I did like the feeble attempt to change the subject and move the goalposts, though.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Thursday at 2:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!