Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"FEUD" leads Critics Choice nominations!

That abysmal mess Big Little Lies will win nothing.

by Anonymousreply 80Last Tuesday at 6:48 AM

Of course your link is tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2017

OP's thread is useless since he didn't even include a link.

Here are the critics choice nominations for TV.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2017

People will always love Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. Their timeless.

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2017

I'm very happy to see "GLOW" got recognized with several nominations.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2017

“Feud” got just one more nomination than “Big Little Lies.”

It also earned two more Emmy nominations than the HBO series earlier this year, and look how that turned out. Zero major Emmys, but it did win for Makeup and Hairstyling!

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2017

Yeah r5 makes the obvious point. Feud got a ton of emmy nominations, it was still largely snubbed when it came to taking them home.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2017

So they've got Asia Kate Dillon from Billions in the supporting actor category. Fine, I guess. But Walter Goggins is a co-lead in Vice Principals.

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2017

R5 Big Little Lies is exactly what it's titled.

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2017

The Emmys was always going to be the best shot “Feud” had for a major win, since their winners usually skew older and more traditional than the other awards shows (Lange won for “Grey Gardens,” then lost the other major ones to her co-star Drew Barrymore).

It’ll lose these awards, then the Globes, then the SAG awards. But every time, people will insist that this is when Lange will finally beat Nicole Kidman. And it’ll never happen.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2017

R9 We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2017

Lange won the Critics Choice Award for AHS: Coven.

She's winning it again for Feud.

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2017

These are not important awards.

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2017

What could've been a perversely satirical long-running joke became a forceful examination of women's issues and the horror of Hollywood's inner machinations thanks in large part to Lange's measured portrayal of Joan Crawford. Steeped in research -- as well as a compassionate view of a woman who's become a caricature -- Lange's Crawford is still scary, yes, but played with so much empathy, control and simmering rage that Lange's shifts from furor to desperate to vulnerable feel tectonic every time. Forget any of her previous Ryan Murphy collabs, Lange has never shined like this before on TV

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2017

[quote]Their timeless.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2017

I love how all the major papers are actually using op's thread title or a variation of...

AFTER he posted it.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2017

I think it’s interesting Sarandon was snubbed. Was it because of her dreadful politics?

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2017

R16 I dont think so. I think it's indicative of the Critics finding Lange and the rest of the nominees better. It's also the first sign that Lange is winning.

Even if Kidman had a shot (what a truly tepid performance) she'll split with Witherspoon.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2017

[quote] I love how all the major papers are actually using op's thread title or a variation of...AFTER he posted it.

Do you always refer to yourself in the third person, OP? You *are* OP.

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2017

R18 I Am.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2017

You are also making shit up. That was the original variety headline. I linked it back at r2. This OP is tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2017

R3.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2017

I think this clip is lovely. I hope you get your wish, OP. You know I love you.

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2017

Sally Struthers on Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2017

R23 omg. Joan filing her nails.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2017

Better quality, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2017

This sequence was everything.

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2017

Forgot to post better quality vid.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2017

The above is actually part 3/3. 1 and 2 are below.

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2017

Pt. 2.

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2017

OP, I'm pretty sure you also a gifted pianist (we're anonymous, so I could be wrong), but I if you're the same guy, I'm not a match for you, but I really do treasure you. From what I've seen, you're very sexy (HAF, to be honest) and you're one of the most interesting men I know on DL. The only thing I want to say: protect your heart: you're a vulnerable soul. The Emmy thread left you hurt, and I felt your hurt, too. You're a really fine man.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2017

R30 Not I.

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2017

Some of the other nomiees didn't deserve it. Chrissy Metz sucks as an actress. Mayim Bialik needs to stop getting nominations too.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2017

Will Jackie Hoffman have a meltdown when she loses another award?

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2017

God. Lange was terrible. No clue of the Crawford character, or even the superficial mannerisms.

And we have to keep being reminded of it? Shit.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2017

Her backstort,

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2017

Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford is the worst performance ever given by a major actress. It's sad to witness what she's been reduced to by that HACK Murphy. She's absolutely wrong for the part. As a matter of fact, I began to hate her after Feud.

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2017

From TV Guide this week:

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2017

And the the Critics Choice goes to... Nicole Kidman, for Big Little Lies!!!!

(rapturous applause)

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2017

It's not happening, Nic.

by Anonymousreply 3912/07/2017

[quote]I think it’s interesting Sarandon was snubbed.

Define snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 4012/07/2017

R40 I see what you did there!

by Anonymousreply 4112/07/2017

I can't take reviews and critics like R13 seriously. Has she even seen a Joan Crawford film or interview or done any research herself (as much as she'd like to give Lange credit for it)? Lange didn't capture one iota of Crawford. Not in looks. Not in mannerisms. Not in voice. Nothing. She was just playing a variation of one of her bitchy grand dame AHS characters. Sure, Lange can be a great actress and can make you weep like nobody's business, but that doesn't mean that her Joan Crawford was a success. It wasn't. Articles like that just come off like they're kissing her ass. If they were honest and had done proper research, they'd know that Lange failed in almost every way to bring Crawford to life.

by Anonymousreply 4212/07/2017

See r42? Mimicking a real life figure isn't as easy as it appears.

by Anonymousreply 4312/07/2017

R34 You're tiresome, Matthew.

Move on, please.

by Anonymousreply 4412/07/2017

I will finish R3 [quote] their timeless

performances are better than this fun piece of trash.

by Anonymousreply 4512/07/2017

I just love how asshats like R42 presume to know one iota about Joan.

Lange captured her exquisitely.

by Anonymousreply 4612/07/2017

As it should. Lange's work was a tour de force and Sarandon was very good as well (even though I have come to loath her stupid mess of a mind.)

by Anonymousreply 4712/07/2017

Agree with you R46. Frightened, damaged, steely ambitious woman who in a mountain of insecurity wanted to (and did ) succeed to become a major film star, although at cost to herself and those around her. It all practically screams at you in that BBC clip.

by Anonymousreply 4812/07/2017

R48 that's you projecting. Also, if you knew anything about Joan, she was always performing in public.

by Anonymousreply 4912/07/2017

The clip of Joan in that Sally Struthers interview SCREAMS Lange.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 5012/07/2017

I'll slap the shit outta Christina if she fucks this one up.

by Anonymousreply 5112/07/2017

Feud: Bette and Joan: You Mean All This Time We Could Have Been Friends?

This delectable eight-episode drama, which launched Ryan Murphy’s latest anthology series, focused on the notorious rivalry between screen legends Joan Crawford and Bette Davis but never failed to show their humanity amid the catty remarks and backstabbing. The final episode perfectly encapsulates this balance, showing Bette and Joan’s decidedly less glamorous lives, a decade removed from the filming of their 1962 cult classic “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?”

Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon bring their A-game as Crawford and Davis, respectively, in the episode’s most ambitious scene. A dying Crawford imagines attending a dinner party with gossip queen Hedda Hopper, studio exec Jack Warner (Stanley Tucci) and her longtime nemesis, with whom she finally makes peace. The reveal that it’s a complete figment is both cathartic and cruel.

Also consider: “And the Winner Is . . .”

by Anonymousreply 5212/07/2017

Sarandon was ignored. Keep up your political work Susan! As was Heughan in Outlander.

by Anonymousreply 5312/07/2017

Sarandon's work on the show really wasn't that impressive.

R40 nailed it, define snub.

by Anonymousreply 5412/07/2017

I'm rooting Rachel Brosnahan, Alex Borstein and The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 5512/07/2017

^rooting for^

by Anonymousreply 5612/07/2017

I think it’s interesting that Jessica Lange gets the praise and nominations for the biopic about the movie that her character was in real life snubbed for, WHILE her costar gets mixed reviews and less nominations for playing the character that shined in real life.

by Anonymousreply 5712/07/2017

Sarandon did a great job, but she underplayed a great deal early on and dialed it up for later performances. Which actually matches Davis in real life; the stereotypical "Bette" became more prominent in later years.

But Lange was masterful. She had to play Joan Crawford AND play AGAINST the Dunaway version that every one had in the front of their minds, and she did both, masterfully.

by Anonymousreply 5812/07/2017

R53 what did Heughan say/do?

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2017

Lange was awful as Crawford. She no real understanding of Crawford's character.

Just watch the difference here. Notice how Crawford carries herself vs. Lange.

Watch Lange's sloppy Shelly Winters style walk at her entrance.

See how Crawford holds her body and head perfectly still.

Note how Lange is always looking down while she reads. Joan would never, but never do that. She looks up and out.

Crawford was convinced she was the Queen of Hollywood and her bearing showed it.

Those are the small touches that made Crawford, Crawford. Lange got it all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 6012/07/2017

[quote]She no real understanding

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6112/07/2017

I have a feeling the posters praising Lange in FEUD are just Jessica stans, first and foremost, and probably don't know much, if anything, about Joan Crawford. So, when they're defending her performance, they're really defending Lange's honor, if you will. They couldn't give two shits about the real Joan, only that Lange played her, and God forbid anyone criticize the inaccurate portrayal!

by Anonymousreply 6212/07/2017

R62 The critics and the various voting bodies are ALL Lange stands, don't you know? It's a conspiracy!

by Anonymousreply 6312/07/2017

^*stans

by Anonymousreply 6412/07/2017

I know about both Crawford and Lange.

I am not a 'stan' of ANY performer. Someone who appreciates a performance is not automatically a 'stan.'

I don't need some caftan wearing, talking wall of fat to assume anything about my knowledge or my aesthetics, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 6512/07/2017

You go, R65.

by Anonymousreply 6612/07/2017

R63 that means nothing where the real Joan Crawford is concerned. Like I said, ass-kissing. No one's saying that the performance was terrible, per se, I mean, she acted well for all intents and purposes and made you cry. That's what those acting bodies are rewarding/praising. The technique. But it is nothing like Crawford, which is where I and others think she fails.

by Anonymousreply 6712/07/2017

R67 Well you're wrong. Watch the other clips of Joan in this thread. Lange's work is brilliant in echoing both Japan's fragility AND strength.

by Anonymousreply 6812/07/2017

^*Joan's

by Anonymousreply 6912/07/2017

R68 In her public appearances, photo shoots, film and TV roles, Crawford never cracked her veneer. Never showed fragility. (Except in her final PR photograph.)

The biggest problem with Lange's performance is that she acts like a modern, Method-style actress. And that's why it's so wrong.

Crawford acted like a star. She couldn't give a shit about Stanislavski. Crawford was about style.

Stars of Crawford's era had a body language, a vocal register, a diction, facial expressions, that you have to understand to portray her. It was all about the surface.

by Anonymousreply 7012/07/2017

R70 We, have you even watched her first television appearance (posted upthread)?

by Anonymousreply 7112/07/2017

^*Er, have you...

by Anonymousreply 7212/07/2017

R71 Yes, I know that interview. It's pure Joan: the stylish movement, the erect body posture, the phoney sentiment, the mid-Atlantic-Hollywood accent.

She probably even made sure the interviewer was seated higher than she was so she could elongate her neck and appear more youthful.

Crawford cunningly displays all of her tricks there.

Don't confuse it with fragility. That's what Lange did. It was really quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 7312/07/2017

R73. Whatever intentions you read into Joan's behavior in that clip, Lange captured her perfectly. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 7412/07/2017

Especially awful was the quivering Jessica Lange trying to play Crawford in Straightjacket.

Completely missing Crawford's glamour and grit and unintentionally campy performance.

She's just soooo wrong.

by Anonymousreply 7512/07/2017

I gotta say even though I HATE what she did about Hillary, Sarandon was amazing in that Oscar loss clip

by Anonymousreply 7612/07/2017

Lmao, R75. Right.

by Anonymousreply 7712/07/2017

If they ever do a biopic about Shirley Booth, Jessica Lange would be perfect.

But please, not Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 7812/07/2017

meow meow meow

by Anonymousreply 7912/09/2017

God. She mimicked Crawford perfectly at R77.

by Anonymousreply 80Last Tuesday at 6:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!