Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

M. Night Shyamalan's career

After the unbelievable success of "The Sixth Sense," Shyamalan's ego got ridiculously bigger and bigger as his films got worse and worse: "Unbreakable" was quite good, and "Signs" had some very scary scenes, but "The Village" showed he couldn't keep it going, and "Lady in the Water," "The Happening," "The Last Airbender," and "After Earth" were four of the most critically lambasted films of the last 25 years. Yet then the modest success of "The Visit" and the huge success of "Split" have put him on top again, and people are eagerly awaiting "Glass," the final film in the trilogy of "Unbreakable" and "Split."

Has he learned his lesson, or can we just expect his films will promise wildly erratic quality (as well as constant work for Betty Buckley) from now on? Does he ego continue to rage unchecked?

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2017

He is the Speilberg of our generation

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2017

He wishes, R1.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2017

I still love Signs. Split and The Visit weren't too bad. I saw the Sixth Sense for the first time and i could not stop staring at Bruce's hairline.

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2017

I think his movies are crap, and I fully expected him to be a raging narcissistic monster, but I read a book about the making of Lady in the Water, written by one of his neighbors -- I can't remember the name of the book, and I don't feel like googling it -- and he came across very nicely. He might not be the most talented director, but he has hit the bulls eye a few times, which makes it seem that much worse when he wildly misses.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2017

R1 is eating shit if anything James Cameron and Michael Moore are probably considered the Speilberg of this generation.

But I think M. Night learned to stick with thrillers and suspense. That's all he needed to do; don't know why he was trying to do fantasy and sci-fi. Although for The Last Airbender, he did it for his daughter who was Katara for Halloween one year.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2017

i can't be bothered anymore. i have a huge crush on james mcevoy, but not bald.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2017

His movies should be included in midnight showings hosted by drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2017

Michael Moore? Don't you mean Michael Mann?

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2017

Michael Moore is Spielberg?

What lunatic wrote that?

I personally think lady in the water is interesting and Tovah Feldsuh gave a great performance...

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2017

Hollywood went through a period of being obsessed with finding the next... instead of looking for originals.

Finding the next Spielberg. Finding the next James Dean (Luke Perry). Finding the next Jack Nicholson (Christian Slater). Finding the next...

Glad they got out of that but it gave us some piss poor candidates as replacements and we probably lost out on some really great talent because of it.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2017

Betty Buckley

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2017

Is he still putting his shit self in his shit movies?

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2017

I saw "Split" about six months ago and don't understand how it is part of trilogy with Unbreakable. Bruce Willis' makes an appearance at the end and there is a reference to what happened at the end of Unbreakable, but they were not really connected in anyway. Anyway, I thought Split was not all that great. In fact, nothing he has done since the Sixth Sense has been all that good.

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2017

R13, presumably McAvoy's character is going to serve as a "archenemy" to Anna Taylor-Joy, the way Jackson's character did for Willis in Unbreakable. They are all in Glass (the third film). And no doubt there will be further links, twists!, and maybe even more superheroes/archenemies identified.

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2017

They call it a trilogy or a series so that idiot fanboy neckbeards will buy them all.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2017

I actually liked Split. Given that it could've been a turkey of epic proportions, I thought James McaVoy was great in it. Truly weird and a bit terrifying. And the gothic atmosphere was quite effective - no doubt helped by the beautiful score. The scene below captures the mood I'm talking about. As a previously avowed Shyamalan hater, I'm now re-intrigued enough to see the sequel. Though I don't see how anya-taylor joy's character can be a threat to The Hoarde. I think it will be more between McAvoy and Willis.

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2017

I like a lot of his movies. That is more than I can say for Michael Bay.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2017

The problem with Glass will be if it can be made at all without Bruce Willis. He's got early on dementia, which has been known to only get worse with time, So he better hurry the fuck up and get the script done, finance and make sure all actors available. asap!

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2017

I thought Split was pretty good but the ending was overwrought. I really enjoyed his films up until Lady in the Water — I left that film feeling very unsatisfied, unlike his previous movies, and felt even worse about “The Happening.”

Let’s not forget that, before “The Visit” (which I really enjoyed), M. Night began his return with “Devil,” a fun little picture which he didn’t direct but wrote and was otherwise involved with.

I am aquainted with with one of the make up girls who worked on “The Last Airbender” (never saw it) and she tells me that M. Night is a textbook example of the absentminded professor when on set. (She also raved about Aasif Mandvi being terrific fun to be around.)

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2017

R18, Glass has wrapped filming.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2017

I must be the only person who liked The Happening

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2017

[quote] I must be the only person who liked The Happening

At least we got one person to like it!!

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2017

his movies went downhill. crap!

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!