Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The sad truth of a 20th Century Fox-Disney merger

20th Century Fox will become the new MGM / United Artists, a label used primarily to resurrect its intellectual property and not create anything new.

They will probably even sell the Pico Blvd backlot.

by Anonymousreply 3016 hours ago

I always hated paying to see a Fox movie knowing that it was going to make those Murdochs and their vile investors richer.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Wednesday at 5:13 AM

They already sold most of their studio to create Century City.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Wednesday at 9:11 AM

Yes and now they'll probably sell the remainder.

Everthing can be consolidated in Burbank.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Wednesday at 9:16 AM

Goodbye, Dolly!

by Anonymousreply 4Last Wednesday at 9:52 AM

[quote] I always hated paying to see a Fox movie knowing that it was going to make those Murdochs and their vile investors richer.

He's who I meant when I said "the Australians are causing all the problems."

by Anonymousreply 5Last Wednesday at 9:54 AM

"The Simpsons" predicted it!

by Anonymousreply 6Last Wednesday at 10:33 AM

Those "predictions" are more like self-fulfilling prophesies.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Wednesday at 10:36 AM

Does this mean I get locked in movie jail with Uncle Remus now?

by Anonymousreply 8Last Wednesday at 11:06 AM

Disney never had too much interest in running the TV station side of ABC. ABC was always a bit of an odd ball out. Even in the mid 80s when it was swallowed up by Capital Cities which was much smaller, it was doing odd things like this.

While CBS and FOX were buying TV stations and NBC was solidifying its position, ABC just didn't care to own any TV stations outside of its historical markets of Chicago, NY, LA, SF, and Detroit. It only sold off Detroit's WXYZ due to FCC rules of the time ((mid 80s)) when Cap Cities bought it.

A few years back ABC was thought a certain thing to buy Allbritton's WJLA in DC but didn't even try, letting it go to Sinclair. Today It owns TV stations in SF, LA, NYC, Chicago, Fresno, Durham, Houston and Philly, the latter four were owned by Cap City when it bought ABC.

So FOX's buying ABC will allow FOX to become much stronger in the area of TV station ownership which it has always wanted and give FOX cash, by selling most of FOX assets to Disney except the TV stations, broadcast group and sports.

It's really less about TV and more about movies, which would make Disney a monolith in that area. It would be to the movies what Amazon is to shopping and Google is to Internet search and video.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Wednesday at 11:21 AM

I grew up in Cheviot Hills close to the Pico property. Been to the studio for screenings many times. Met Tony Danza at a screening when I was a teen.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Wednesday at 11:25 AM

You silly man R5. He is not an Australian and hasn't been so for 32 years. Please throw off your old prejudices

by Anonymousreply 11Last Wednesday at 11:25 AM

Ummmm Fox is not buying ABC

That would be illegal.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Wednesday at 11:29 AM

All those acquisitions were just a distraction from building up the core businesses. The Disney comeback of the 1980s and 1990s was perhaps the biggest comeback in movie history. When Ron Miller was done fighting off Saul Steinberg, Walt Disney Productions had $10 million left in cash flow. They were desperate for a quick infusion of cash, and people I've met who worked there said they liked Ron but he just was not aggressive enough for their needs. He learned everything he knew about the business from Walt, but Walt was no businessman. Roy was the businessman, and the younger Roy learned that from him. Under the new regime, hits started piling up. [italic]The Golden Girls[/italic] alone was a huge source of revenue and showed they could sustain a successful sitcom. I was a kid at the time so I was the right age for Disney, and even then I knew what an exciting time it was to be a Disney fan. After E. Cardon Walker, who was a Mormon, started to take a more emeritus role in the company—he retired as CEO in 1980, stayed on the board of directors until 1999 and died in 2006—there was less resistance to gay-related things as long as they were limited to the subsidiary brands. He was not the only one but most ex-Disneyites said he in particular was not very easy to work for. But even the most basic pro-gay gesture was too much for the Southern Baptists; they took it as a personal betrayal. There used to be Fellowship of Christian Athletes meetings on the Disney lot; talk about strengthening the dwelling of the Lord!

But now Miller's retired to his winery (probably glad to not have his hands in any of these sex scandals) and Roy E. Disney is dead, some believing the spirit of the Disney we once knew died with him.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Wednesday at 11:30 AM

[quote]Please throw off your old prejudices

When will Murdoch throw off his?

by Anonymousreply 14Last Wednesday at 11:31 AM

Marvel wants the rights to the X-men and Fantastic Four, and Disney is going to give it to them.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Wednesday at 11:32 AM

These old school media companies gotta come together lest they wanna be swallowed up by the avalanche that will be here soon. Amazon, Netflix, and Apple are gonna swallow up everything.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Wednesday at 11:34 AM

R14 The man is consistent in giving his happy customers what they want.

And he isn't a Holier-Than -Thou Virtue-Signalling Sanctimonialist.

Are you?

by Anonymousreply 17Last Wednesday at 11:38 AM

Murdoch is a homophobic transcult supporter and Fox should have gone bankrupt with [italic]Cleopatra[/italic].

If the people want genocide or to eat poison, should someone be obligated to meet that demand just because "the people want it"?

by Anonymousreply 18Last Wednesday at 2:06 PM

All wage slavery needs to be eliminated, even under the guise of entertainment. It is wrong to exploit ANY living thing in this matter.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Wednesday at 2:11 PM

Dear R18.

I've no idea how you can make these personal assumptions about a man you don't know. He is, as I say, merely the proprietor of some companies who give customers what they want. He is a

And if there are people on this overcrowded planet wanting "to eat poison" , I'm happy to supply the cutlery.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Wednesday at 4:53 PM

They'll have to change the name to 20th Century Fox and the Hound.

by Anonymousreply 21Last Wednesday at 5:28 PM

What ircs me is the loss of searchlight pictures, disney is a shitty companie that only cares for big cheesy family friendly blockbusters. Say goodbye to also rated r films like predator and aliens etc.

by Anonymousreply 22Last Wednesday at 5:37 PM

Fox is actually ahead of Disney on gay representation. [italic]Fresh off the Boat[/italic] did a great coming out episode for Honey and Marvin's daughter recently.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Wednesday at 5:39 PM

Disney is also to chicken shit to offend the breeders, they did major backtracking when the backlash for beauty and the beast for having a gay character got big, they also Love china to fuck death, they will bend over backwards to not offend that shitty homophobic country.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Wednesday at 5:49 PM

Good analysis from Deadline. Once divorced from its in house supplier, Fox Broadcasting May not even offer scripted programming any more.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Wednesday at 5:53 PM

They kissed up to China so they could build a Disneyland in Shanghai. They also have one in Hong Kong. One of them must have egg foo yung, but I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the fortune cookies since I haven't actually been there.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Wednesday at 5:54 PM

[quote] Good analysis from Deadline. Once divorced from its in house supplier, Fox Broadcasting May not even offer scripted programming any more.

The guy who played Julie's boyfriend on the first episode of [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic], Mike Darnell, later became one of the executives at Fox behind the growth of reality TV. [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] was more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 27Last Wednesday at 5:56 PM

r23 Fox produces it, but ABC airs it.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Wednesday at 8:22 PM

Which theme park will host American Horror Story Land?

by Anonymousreply 29Last Wednesday at 9:25 PM

20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight landed 27 Golden Globe nominations — including four of the 10 Best Picture noms in the drama and comedy categories — compared to just two for Disney. The entire film community is fearing what might happen to Fox if, as expected, the studio’s entire film operation becomes the property of Disney before week’s end. The expectation is that the Mouse could jettison a lot of the film operation, even though Fox has long been one of the better quality major studios going. The Shape of Water, The Post, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and The Greatest Showman all got Best Picture noms.

by Anonymousreply 3016 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!