Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lena Dunham was 23 when she sold #Girls to HBO with a page-and-a-half-long pitch, without a character nor a plot

Turns out Lena Dunham's introductory line in that very first episode of Girls — "I'm the voice of my generation … or at least a voice of a generation" — couldn't have been more on the nose.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Thursday at 10:53 AM

Jewish privilege.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Tuesday at 6:48 PM

I’m pleased to say I’ve never watched an episode. Too self satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Tuesday at 6:56 PM

She has quite a voice.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Tuesday at 7:54 PM

Her parents got her the job

by Anonymousreply 4Last Tuesday at 8:15 PM

nepotism

by Anonymousreply 5Last Tuesday at 8:23 PM

The four leads of GIRLS are all from famous families. Lena's parents are well known NY artists. Zosia's parents are David Mamet (director) Lindsay Crouse (actor), Jemima Kirke's father was a drummer with Bad Company and her mother supplied clothes for NYC based productions and of course Allison Williams father is the infamous lying news anchor Brian Williams.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Tuesday at 8:33 PM

Children of the privileged always get what they want.

White privilege times infinitely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7Last Tuesday at 8:45 PM

Oh. It's over, then?

by Anonymousreply 8Last Tuesday at 8:54 PM

Coming up next is "Pebbles", Lens Dunham's new HBO biting black-comedy about incest.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Tuesday at 9:07 PM

Jewish privilege, white privilege, rich privilege. She's a triple threat. If she were a man, she would have raped and sexually assaulted hundreds of women by now.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Wednesday at 5:40 AM

Isn't it funny if white folks stereotype an entire race, minority or ethnicity it's considered bigotry yet R10 and others have no problem grouping and stereotyping white people.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Wednesday at 5:43 AM

R11 is thicker than pig shit

by Anonymousreply 12Last Wednesday at 5:48 AM

Lens Dunham looks like her pussy reeks of bologna, onion, and her improperly-wiped asshole only a few inches away.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Wednesday at 5:49 AM

On the subject of rape and sexual assault, Lens is apparently EVERY voice of her generation. She's a voice that supports the accuser's right to be heard, and she also supports the right to reject the accuser out-of-hand. She is the voice of those who frame innocent men as well as a voice that protects guilty but well-connected sexual offenders. Heck, she's even the voice of incestuous sexual offenders herself.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Wednesday at 6:49 AM

R12 knows the thickness of pig shit yet does not possess the intellectual capacity to respond in an intelligent manner. I'm so sorry you feel being mixed race gives you the right to carry that big cross all on your own and treat others of a different race in such a disrespectful manner. You don't like it when people do it you but you feel it is perfectly acceptable to do it to others.

PS Your mother's ex is correct. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Wednesday at 7:41 AM

R15 types old.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Wednesday at 7:58 AM

While her parents are in the "art world" in NYC, they're not that prominent and no one was giving her a series based on that--I mean what's in it for the HBO exec-- a better glass of chablis at a gallery opening?

Granted she would not have gotten the intros she got to the people making the decisions without her background (which may have had more to do with connections she made at the posh private school she went to or at Oberlin) but someone at HBO actually pulled the trigger because they wanted something that would appeal to Millennials and thought she had the goods.

And while I agree 100% with you Eldergays that she is all the bad things you have to say about her, and annoying AF, she didn't have any particular strings to pull to get her series made.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Wednesday at 8:04 AM

r17 her parents are personal friends with a lot of high-powered media/entertainment types. Meryl Streep among them.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Wednesday at 8:08 AM

Her parents know a lot of those people because they're at the same parties and all, maybe their kids go to the same schools.

Her parents aren't spending weekends in the country with the Streeps.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Wednesday at 8:12 AM

[quote]Her parents know a lot of those people because they're at the same parties and all, [bold]maybe their kids go to the same schools. [/bold]

That is all that it takes. And the parents knowing each other is the cherry on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Wednesday at 8:14 AM

Ask Blerta

by Anonymousreply 21Last Wednesday at 8:18 AM

Flyoverstani Friends-- that's not how it works.

If the Dunhams were good friends with someone who was also good friends with whoever was buying shows for HBO at the time, they might have been able to get her a meeting.

But no one at HBO is buying a show based on a page and a half long script just to make a pair of minor league artists happy. Thing about it--what's in it for them? Nothing.

Whoever bought the show actually thought there was something special about it and that it would be a hit.

And regardless of what we think, whoever bought "Girls" was correct--it lasted for six seasons and will make HBO lots of money in syndication and overseas-- and having it gets HBO subscribers.

That doesn't make Lens any more bearable, but it is the way of the world.

by Anonymousreply 22Last Wednesday at 8:20 AM

R10 LOL right...she were a man, she would literally be Weinstein...if not already considering what she did with her sister, practically bragging about it. But since they were both kids(although wasn't she like...12 when she did-12 you should know not to be touching pee pee), people let her slide.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Wednesday at 8:22 AM

Lena was old enough to know better when she made this. I still say it cost Hillary the election.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Thursday at 10:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!