Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Throwback -- Cher: "There's something about [Madonna] I don't like"

This was uploaded Oct. 2017, I've never seen it before. I like Cher's honesty here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 14, 2018 6:32 AM

She's not incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2017 2:32 AM

And then she backtracked.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2017 2:37 AM

Maybe Madonna's "people" got to her?

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2017 2:40 AM

They've worked things out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2017 2:49 AM

I hear ya Cher.

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2017 2:52 AM

Honesty is the best policy.

I wonder what Cher thought of the British accent she picked up after living there for a week.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2017 2:58 AM

Cher and Madge have been pals for years. Cher’s just feeding the trolls.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2017 3:09 AM

[quote] I wonder what Cher thought of the British accent she picked up after living there for a week.

It was as fake as her boobs and face.

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2017 3:15 AM

Madonna was so obnoxious when she was younger. I remember Cher attended her wedding to Sean Penn and soon afterword said, Madonna would have to be kinder for me to like her.

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2017 3:21 AM

Yeah...that's she's more successful than you. It started when Cher kept asking Madonna to write her some songs and Madonnna blew her off. Why would she write a song for Cher when she could keep it for herself. Delusional!

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2017 5:00 AM

Cher is cool and down to earth. Madonna is not. Simple as that. Cher has Dianne Warren as songwriter. Why would she want Madonna? Never liked most of Madonna's music.

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2017 7:07 AM

Team Cher all the way. She chose her words carefully in OP's segment--until, blam! C-WORD! Well played.

I don't find it hypocritical that over a couple of decades, as Cher tells Cohen, that they're "good now." She didn't say "friends." I'm sure there's some measure of mutual respect but no one expects them to hang out.

Also, Madge has outsold Cher by kajillions. But can Madge touch the sheer breadth of Cher's career?

Oscar-winning (and nommed) actress

Top-selling solo and duo performer over FOUR decades

Long-running TV star in the 70s

Style icon, then, now, and forever

Oh yeah... a lot of her colleagues in the biz actually like Cher.

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2017 7:49 AM

“I never hated her, I just thought she was a bitch. Actually I quite respect her." -- Cher on Madonna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2017 11:42 AM

They both look like clowns with their bad plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2017 1:18 PM

I love Cher.

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2017 1:21 PM

Madonna’s the one still caught up in a cult.

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2017 1:33 PM

They look about the same age now. Madonna has aged so badly.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2017 1:43 PM

Do you believe in life after love, after love, after love... This single was the number one single of '98. The sound of Cher's powerful voice helped put it there. Madonna's thin voice couldn't have done it as well.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2017 7:45 PM

Cher was and is the better actress of the two.

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2017 7:48 PM

[quote] Do you believe in life after love, after love, after love... This single was the number one single of '98. The sound of Cher's powerful voice helped put it there.

That and a hell of a lot of autotune.

[quote]Madonna's thin voice couldn't have done it as well.

That's because she was too busy butchering "American Pie" even more than The Brady Bunch already did.

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2017 7:50 PM

Cher has a stronger, more expressive singing voice than Madonna and has sung more genres than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2017 8:01 PM

I don't think Madonna and Cher have ever been "pals.", although they have probably socialized at times. But they do have some things in common. Both of them are not particularly good singers (Gregg Allman even told Cher that he didn't think she was much of a singer) , both liked displaying their tits and ass, both are very self absorbed, both still want to believe that they're 25 years old, and both of them have had tons of plastic surgery to make it seem like they're still hot young babes.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2017 8:17 PM

The difference being Cher is cool and Madonna - well

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2017 11:44 PM

Cher's a hypocrite. Sonny, who she was married to when she recorded most of her best music, was more accepting of Chastity's lesbianism in private than she was. And all this Chaz crap didn't start until after Sonny died.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2017 11:49 PM

Yeah, r17, a lifetime of insomnia, over-exercising and poor eating habits have left their mark on Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2017 11:56 PM

Some parts of the song are not auto tuned. "Well, I know that I'll get through this..." is Cher's natural voice.

Whatever Cher's private family dynamics are or were, it is none of our business. Chastity is living the good life because of who?

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2017 12:21 AM

Yes, it was Cher who had a problem accepting that her daughter was gay, not Sonny. God, I wonder what her reaction was when Chastity told her she was going to have surgery to become a man! She must have fainted.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2017 12:54 AM

R27 I would imagine that Cher had lived with it so long at that point that it wasn't too shocking when Chas told her about the surgery.

Sorry, I really try to be an open minded, good person, but I am disturbed by Chas' beard. But, I realize that is my problem, no one else's.

And give Cher a break on the lesbian thing. Cher's mom was old fashioned- the point is that Cher eventually embraced her.

Word is that Babs needed time to adjust to Jason Gould being gay.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2017 1:25 AM

r11, I think it would be a matter of being able to get more top 10s. At least at the time, Madonna cornered the market on getting top 10s, albeit thanks to her collaborators.

There's a catalogue of Madonna songs that defined the two decades she reigned. Cher has but a few. Her pop culture status is as an icon; her songs were never the thing that made her famous.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2017 1:41 AM

I guess that's why Cher never bonded with Barbra- even though they were neighbors in Malibu and their kids played together.

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2017 1:46 AM

"There's a catalogue of Madonna songs that defined the two decades she reigned."

"Reigned?" What did "reign" as? The World's Biggest Slut? And what songs of hers defined ANYTHING, much less "two decades?" You must be crazy.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2017 1:57 AM

Cher has a much better voice than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2017 1:58 AM

R32, I agree, but that’s a very low bar.

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2017 1:59 AM

R11, um maybe bc at the time Madonna was unstoppable and had hit after hit. Cher may have had Diane Warren but it didn't give her many hits. I'm not a huge fan of Madonna now but in the 80's and early 90's she was the biggest musical artist, period. You may not like her as a person and she's a horrible actress but no one can deny the fact that she had the music industry in the palm of her hands. So yes, Cher could've greatly benefitted from that.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2017 2:10 AM

R31, you might want to look at record sales and concert ticket sales. She was the MTV generation for the 80's and into the very early 90's. Her videos were masterpieces. Not the greatest voice but she knew how to market herself. She ruled the 80's something that Cher cannot ever say she did.

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2017 2:13 AM

For some reason I'm guessing that Madonna really doesn't spend a whole lot of time thinking about whether or not Cher likes her.

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2017 2:16 AM

Cher also later admitted her faults when Chastity came out. She came round and has been incredibly supportive of Chas in choice of partner, gender identification, etc. She is no enemy of LGBT.

I honestly don't know what kind of mom Madge is. I wish the best for her kids. Cher has always been very devoted to her kids, even when their fathers (ie, Greg Allman) were not.

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2017 2:23 AM

Of course Cher has always been more upset about Chaz’s weight than being lesbian or trans.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2017 2:24 AM

"She was the MTV generation for the 80's and into the very early 90's."

That's not exactly something to be proud of. She was at her peak during the 80s when music (and practically everything else) was shallow, superficial and trivial. She certainly fit in that era. She rather epitomized it.

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2017 2:48 AM

R39, wrong. The 80s were one of the most, if not flat-out just WAS the most, experimental and interesting time in music, aided by the advent of a brand-new visual medium. Catchy hooks and tunes all over the place, endless classics. Didn't matter the genre--if it was a good song, people liked it and it became a huge hit. That NEVER happens anymore. Last popular song I can think of that united all people across tastes and preferences is "Hey Ya," and that was, what, 14 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2017 2:53 AM

R40, what about Uptown Funk?

by Anonymousreply 41December 7, 2017 2:55 AM

Cher had a voice and acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 42December 7, 2017 3:25 AM

That's true, R42, and Madonna had pubic hair almost to her knees.

by Anonymousreply 43December 7, 2017 3:34 AM

R41, as a true 80's fan, all I could hear was a complete refabrication of Morris Day in that track. But it was good fun, I agree; it stood out and made people happy.

...don't get me started on "Happy," come to think of it. No other song in recent memory made me want to set things on fire like that one did.

by Anonymousreply 44December 7, 2017 3:40 AM

R42, Cher's voice is not great. Look Madonnas isn't great but it's certainly better than Cher's howling.

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2017 6:02 AM

Is it, R45?

by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2017 6:03 AM

Cher, Queen of the Universe

by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2017 6:17 AM

At least my mother doesn't have weirdos for kids

by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2017 6:27 AM

All these posts and not one comment that former E hottie Steve Kmetko is the interviewer?

Cher has an Oscar, something that Madonna will never have but still knows her limitations. She can be self-depricating AF. Madonna, not so much.

Plus, Cher is never vulgar. She can dance around in a thong and still seem like a lady. Madonna seems like cheap goods wrapped in fancy paper.

by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2017 7:20 AM

[quote]Cher is never vulgar. She can dance around in a thong and still seem like a lady.

No, not in a million years, Cher in that thong was vulgar and MUCH too old and not a lady

by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2017 2:25 PM

So who cares if Cher has an Oscar? Glenn Close, Tom Cruise and a host of others never won one either.

by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2017 2:30 PM

Madge’s cuntiness is legendary. Cher only speaks the truth.

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2017 2:42 PM

Cher has a sense of humor. Madonna doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 53December 7, 2017 3:49 PM

Madonna is a cunt. Always has been.

by Anonymousreply 54December 7, 2017 4:06 PM

R49, bahahaha. Please stop! A lady? I guess next you'll be saying she has better manners than Queen Elizabeth lol.

by Anonymousreply 55December 8, 2017 8:01 AM

cher always look like a tranny

by Anonymousreply 56December 8, 2017 8:08 AM

R49, Halle Barry has an Oscar...what's your point lol

by Anonymousreply 57December 8, 2017 8:20 AM

Cher is just a elder gays icon,..Madonna is a legend her songs are worldwide known for decades now., she still touring worldwide fighting records against poo girls..sorry bitches...and Oscars and other awards are jokes for these generations, nobody cares,,,even Cher acting career died decades ago after that award

by Anonymousreply 58December 8, 2017 8:24 AM

Can't you like both? Two attention seeking alpha bitches like them were never going to get along.

by Anonymousreply 59December 8, 2017 8:38 AM

She also couldn't stand the Kardashians. Now, she's fine with them. People change their minds.

by Anonymousreply 60December 8, 2017 9:22 AM

Really, we're good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 8, 2017 2:15 PM

[quote]And give Cher a break on the lesbian thing. Cher's mom was old fashioned- the point is that Cher eventually embraced her once she denied both her lesbianism and her biological sex.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 62December 8, 2017 6:04 PM

Team Cher!

by Anonymousreply 63February 14, 2018 6:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!