Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Next On Trump Hit List - 6 Million KICKED OFF WELFARE

Trump saying "Kiss your section 8, welfare & medicaid GOODBYE"

"We’re looking very strongly at welfare reform, and that’ll all take place right after taxes, very soon, very shortly after taxes," Trump said in the White House last Monday. He was backed up by his press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, hours later: “This is something that the president has a great deal of interest in and I think you can count on probably the first part of next year seeing more specifics and details come out on that.”

"People are taking advantage of the system," Trump explained to the rest of the Cabinet last month.

So do you support kicking 6 Million off welfare?

by Anonymousreply 10112/08/2017

I hate Trump like I never knew I could.

by Anonymousreply 112/05/2017

There's going to be some very hungry elderly and children.

by Anonymousreply 212/05/2017

I don't understand why they're trying to kill their supporters

by Anonymousreply 312/05/2017

Trump's an asshole but OP is worse. Fake news from a racist website, nice job OP.

by Anonymousreply 412/05/2017

Corporate welfare (tax breaks) is probably more expensive, Trump needs to start there, but he won't. However Democrats should bring this up at every opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 512/05/2017

It's striking how much Democrats have changed on welfare.....here's Bill Clinton openly calling for an end to welfare

by Anonymousreply 612/05/2017

Trump's quote saying "Kiss your section 8, welfare & medicaid GOODBYE" is fake but I like context so I Googled OP's quote to find out when and where the other statement was made:

From November 28:

[quote]Why the sudden focus on welfare?

[quote]While Trump has evoked the favored right-wing boogeyman before, both in his inaugural address and his February speech to a joint session of Congress, he’s recently dangled the promise of so-called welfare reform as a way to woo Republicans who remain reluctant to support his tax bill.

[quote][italic]"We’re looking very strongly at welfare reform, and that’ll all take place right after taxes, very soon, very shortly after taxes," Trump said in the White House last Monday. He was backed up by his press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, hours later: “This is something that the president has a great deal of interest in and I think you can count on probably the first part of next year seeing more specifics and details come out on that.”[/italic]

[quote]The White House has reportedly tasked a small group to begin drafting plans for welfare reform. An initial version of an executive order tightening work requirements for welfare recipients was circulated around federal agencies back in September. Trump's Domestic Policy Council director recently told the Heritage Foundation that welfare reform is “something that excites him. It’s something that he has a lot of energy about.” According to Paul Winfree, "the president really wants to lead on this” and has “opened conversations with leadership in Congress to let them know.”

[quote]Borne in part out of a likely necessity (since Republicans’ proposed corporate tax cuts will conveniently leave an enormous deficit), Trump’s recent focus on welfare reform is a tried-and-true GOP staple at a moment when he seems to be losing control of his own caucus — yet again. After failing to repeal the Affordable Care Act, Republicans have convinced themselves that the only road to success in the 2018 midterms runs through tax cuts. This comes despite the Congressional Budget Office's finding on Sunday that the current bill would increase taxes on the poor while sending most benefits to people making more than $100,000. With two Republican senators having publicly defected already, the GOP’s tax bill looks dead even before Trump arrives on Capitol Hill Tuesday to push for its passage.

[quote]So Trump has shifted his attention to “welfare” – which notably, likely means major entitlement reforms to nontraditional “welfare” programs like Social Security and Medicare. Trump’s budget director, Mick Mulvaney, has already said as much.

[quote]"It's welfare," Mulvaney explained of Social Security disability in a recent Politico profile. In its fiscal 2018 budget, Mulvaney’s Office of Management and Budget proposed adding work requirements to a range of government programs, including the food stamp program, as a form of welfare reform. The recently passed House version of the GOP tax bill also includes tighter eligibility requirements for low-income tax credits as a form of welfare reform. Conservative Republicans have argued that cuts to excessive benefits in the earned income tax credit could save $15 billion annually.

[quote]"People are taking advantage of the system," Trump explained to the rest of the Cabinet last month.

[quote]While it might sound great to Trump’s base to slash the social safety net that helps to hold up the black and brown people he has so successfully scapegoated, as with so many of Trump’s proposed policies, the biggest losers may be his own supporters.

[quote]Seven in 10 Social Security disability recipients are white, according to census data. Any cuts to “welfare” benefits will hit the more than 6 million working-class white people. That’s the president’s base the White House is using as bait for congressional Republicans, in order to deliver tax breaks to the wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 712/05/2017

[quote]GOP eyes post-tax-cut changes to welfare, Medicare and Social Security

by Anonymousreply 812/05/2017

After fast phood joints become automated with robots- where will the poor people work?

by Anonymousreply 912/05/2017

[quote] After fast phood joints become automated with robots- where will the poor people work?

They need cheap labor to build the wall

by Anonymousreply 1012/05/2017

[quote] "People are taking advantage of the system," Trump explained

Yes, and they're all rich Repugs.

by Anonymousreply 1112/05/2017

When will this POS motherfucker stroke out? He can take dead eyed Ryan and Turtle Man with him. They all need to die in a grease fire. How long before ppl show up at the While House with pitchforks!

How incredibly ignorant are his base, all his dumb ignorant hillbillies and white trash who voted for him? They don't see that Dump is a fucking liar?! They will be the first to lose their safety nets.

They don't see that Dump & Co are helping only the wealthy? Do any of these ignoramuses read?

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2017

R6 "here's Bill Clinton openly calling for an end to welfare"

No he didn't, liar. He didn't end welfare, never tried to and never said he would.

Now go on, tell us why the changes from AFDC to TANF weren't sufficient and Trump just HAS to fix it. Don't forget to include specifics, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2017

I fully support totally ending welfare ........................ to all recipients who voted for Trump. They can all scour the garbage.

by Anonymousreply 1412/05/2017

Mulvaney is the most repulsive and evil. I have zero qualms about wishing him deceased.

by Anonymousreply 1512/05/2017

Wisconsin is now drug testing for welfare.

by Anonymousreply 1612/05/2017

They’re creating a new slave class. Once the get all of the hardworking Mexicans and Central Americans out of the country, they’ll use the poor, black or white, to do all of the difficult jobs that the immigrants did.

They’ll tell these people that they’re lucky to have employment opportunities, and that if they want food stamps, they’re going to need to pick strawberries for minimum wage.

by Anonymousreply 1712/05/2017

[quote] They’re creating a new slave class. Once the get all of the hardworking Mexicans and Central Americans out of the country, they’ll use the poor, black or white, to do all of the difficult jobs that the immigrants did. They’ll tell these people that they’re lucky to have employment opportunities, and that if they want food stamps, they’re going to need to pick strawberries for minimum wage.

That is Trump whole point. His reasoning is "Why have illegals do these jobs, that folks on welfare are able-bodied to do" He says it is a hand-up to welfare recipients, not a hand-out.

by Anonymousreply 1812/05/2017

I understand that, r18. , but his base will not do those jobs,, guaranteed .

by Anonymousreply 1912/05/2017

let them have the welfare but require service for it. if they are fixing roads, cleaning up neighborhoods etc, maybe the payments can go up.

by Anonymousreply 2012/05/2017

All you idiots who want to take money away from poor people, you deserve to fall onto hard times and not be able to get money or healthcare. Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 2112/05/2017

Lot's of queens on here seem to be on welfare? Lot's of shivering queens afraid their party money will disappear?

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2017

R22, minimum wage jobs almost certainly require public subsidies to make ends meet. Making welfare recipients work for their checks isn't a bad idea, they'd also be gaining work experience (that naturally won't be acceptable experience in anything but minimum wage work), but they'd still need welfare. The point is low-income work pays low incomes. Making people do unskilled work won't help them move on to skilled jobs with self-sustaining wages.

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2017

R14 So all white people who don't fall lock-step in place with your 'me-first' agenda are Nazi trash, but your beloved knee-grows who would slaughter your soft cracker asses and car-jack your grandma just for laughs are victims. Did it ever occur to you that some people are multi-issue voters and don't live in a gay bubble? I'm sure thinking is hard for you, but please be a brave little warrior and try.

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2017

The big elephant in the room here is untreated mental illness and substance abuse/addiction. Many of the people on welfare or SSID might look like they’re able bodied, but they’re actually not.

I have a dear friend who has been on SSID for most of his life. He is bipolar, and quite frankly, the man cannot deal with pressure or stress. He’s college educated, smart, well read on current affairs, loves his dogs, and is a very kind person. However, as soon as he is placed in a situation where he faces pressure or work related stress, he starts losing sleep, starts to become distraught, and eventually spirals out of control. Before you know it, he goes into a manic phase, with the inevitable crash and burn. I wouldn’t say that he becomes dangerous, but he becomes very easily agitated and volatile during these mania bouts. He is not someone who I would ever hire, nor would anyone else familiar with his medical history and bouts of hospitalization, due to his mania.

All of the above being said, my friend has been properly diagnosed and cannot work. He is intelligent and well educated enough to understand this. He was also persistent in that he knew something in his behavior and brain chemistry had changed profoundly, and he sought help repeatedly. Instead of self medicating, like MANY do, he was determined to understand why his life was going to shit a few years after getting out of college. Most mentally ill people do not have the wherewithal to do this.

We need a continuous path to positive healthcare reform and treatment. This administration doesn’t care about any of this. Reagan put millions of mentally ill people on the street, and Trump will put millions of them in their early or not so early graves. Ryan, McConnell, etc., are all 100% OK with that. And this is just the group of people with mental illness and addiction issues. There’s an entire swath of the population that will be taken out due to inadequate access to healthcare , food, & shelter.

We’re about to see another group of Americans become homeless. Millions more will be hitting the streets, coming very soon, to a city near YOU.

by Anonymousreply 2512/05/2017

After tax "reform," there's nothing that sexually excites a Republican more than welfare "reform."

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2017

Something like a third of welfare recipients are either waiting for SSI to be approved (and that process can take years) or have a disability for which they could qualify for SSI.

And of course if you qualify for SSI but spent time on welfare waiting for approval, your back payment for SSI pays the state back for your welfare.

There's already work (or work/school-related) requirements for people who receive cash assistance. Obama offered to let states apply to expand exemptions, but it didn't happen. The work requirement for food stamps (that don't include cash assistance) was relaxed in 2009, but about a third of people who get food stamps have a job. And the percentage of people who rely on food banks and similar programs but who also work and don't get food stamps is huge--about two-thirds.

So Trump can throw his red meat to the deplorables, but increasing work requirements to get benefits just means people will seek the help elsewhere, and those resources will be strained.

by Anonymousreply 2712/05/2017

Here are the actual deplorables.

Just look at those two phony vile POS bastards. Their heads should be up on stakes! Actually, they should both be burned alive.

by Anonymousreply 2812/05/2017

[quote] I don't understand why they're trying to kill their supporters.

Agreed. Although the Repubs have always focused on welfare as if it is an inner city, minority issue. Most government welfare goes to rural whites.

by Anonymousreply 2912/05/2017

Guess who's going to get robbed when people are starving in the street? Not the billionaires.

by Anonymousreply 3012/05/2017

If you voted for that shitbag, you deserve to lose everything.

by Anonymousreply 3112/05/2017

His head would look great at the end of a pike

by Anonymousreply 3212/05/2017

It would be great to see a Human Centipede made up of Trump, Ryan, Mitch McConnell, Sarah Huckabee and every other fucking loser racist hater POS in the Trump Administration!

by Anonymousreply 3312/05/2017

R25

Mental illness is a bitch, but your friend sounds like one too. It seems like he had been coddled since childhood and never allowed to face failure, and is therefore incapable of dealing with reality as an adult.

Ending welfare for poor little bitches like that sounds like a good idea to me.

by Anonymousreply 3412/05/2017

R26

Real welfare reform, when companies earning over $100,000 a year are prohibited from any government welfare, and military industrial complex grants are open to public scrutiny, is a good thing.

Ending all welfare would return the issue of charity back to the community.

by Anonymousreply 3512/05/2017

I'm in the same situation as R25's friend - I have a degree and some work experience, but the stress and tiredness (I am taking a massive cocktail of meds that leaves you feeling like you've been hit by a truck) means that working is not an option, as much as I really want to. My country got rid of the sickness benefit so now I would have to attend job interviews constantly for jobs I can't do just to get some money. I am really fortunate that my husband earns enough for both of us (barely). Other people who are not so lucky either pretend to be jobseeking, or just fail miserably and become homeless. So I know what it's like for the ill and the community at large without proper disability allowance for the mentally ill and it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Now that we have a change of government I am hoping for change regarding services for the mentally ill, but not holding my breath.

by Anonymousreply 3612/05/2017

[quote]Mental illness is a bitch, but your friend sounds like one too. It seems like he had been coddled since childhood and never allowed to face failure, and is therefore incapable of dealing with reality as an adult. Ending welfare for poor little bitches like that sounds like a good idea to me.

Oh how i wish I could gift you my bipolar and the meds for just one day and then ask for your opinion!

by Anonymousreply 3712/05/2017

what we need is to get rid of the perpetual war machine and feed folks.

by Anonymousreply 3812/05/2017

The problem is that the Republican myth of black people and immigrants collecting welfare and living high on the hog was ended in the 90s — so much as it existed — by Clinton and Newt Gingrich's Republican Congress. They have chipped away at the programs that inner city black people relied upon until there is nothing left to end. The only public assistance immigrants ever got was overly price medical care in the emergency room, which left them bankrupt and destitute. The only thing left for them to cut are the programs that poor white people rely upon to live. And they voted for Trump despite all of the evidence and facts laid out before them because Hillary.

They deserve what they're going to get, which is less than nothing. Heartache, homelessness, more dependency on drugs to alleviate their real and imagined pain, earlier death, and more misery along the way. It's what they wanted —proven with their say-so — and I'm happy to see them getting it. After all, Steve Bannon openly advocated for culling 20% of the population. Trump voters heard that and thought black and brown, when the reality is that he was talking about THEM.

Yes, I feel for the people like R36 and R25's friend, so I will help people like this that I know, but I will not shed a tear or feel even the tiniest bit of remorse for Trump voters.

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2017

I agree R7. Welfare is on Trump's agenda. No doubt.

But it pisses me off when people like OP totally misrepresent the issue.

What really is needed is to educate the public about who gets Welfare, or perhaps we call it by its real name Temporary Assistance for Needy Famlies, why and for how long.

by Anonymousreply 4012/05/2017

[quote]They have chipped away at the programs that inner city black people relied upon until there is nothing left to end.

LOL.

You can’t be serious. Have you ever been to and urban center? Are you familiar with any city larger than 100,000 people? Places like Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc. are filled with people living on government benefits.

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2017

The Deplorables are all on SSI/Disability. I say kick them all off and then watch the fun start!

by Anonymousreply 4212/05/2017

Are you familiar with reality, R41? Michigan, for example, enacted much stricter welfare limits a few years back and the number of people on it plummeted. Detroit was hit the hardest. Since then the state has used the money it "saved" from welfare rolls to send middle class kids to private colleges.

by Anonymousreply 4312/05/2017

The number of Blacks receiving TANF has decreased over the past decade plus, while the number of white receiving it has held steady after increasing a bit, and the number of Latinos has gone up.

by Anonymousreply 4412/05/2017

Clinton's program was about getting able-bodied welfare recipients to work.

by Anonymousreply 4512/05/2017

No rest for the wicked.

TRUMP the DEVIL awaits you!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4612/05/2017

It would be good to have welfare reform that helps people get back on their feet and off of welfare. A time and/or dollar limit would be a good incentive.

by Anonymousreply 4712/05/2017

There should be a program like the IRS has to compensate people who report welfare cheaters. The government doesn’t do a good job of rooting out fraud and abuse.

by Anonymousreply 4812/05/2017

Still nothing about technological unemployment, eh? Soon people will march in the streets and riot. The rich will be the main course and the middle class will be the well deserved dessert.

by Anonymousreply 4912/05/2017

I'm about at a point where if I see someone sick in the street and they're wearing a MAGA cap, I'll spit in their face.

by Anonymousreply 5012/05/2017

This will devastate all those welfare red states that are practically tax havens for the rich.

by Anonymousreply 5112/05/2017

Like that asshat Trump has been taking advantage of the system to avoid paying taxes for years. I’m retired but I see a second life as a revolutionary when my my money runs out.

by Anonymousreply 5212/05/2017

R34 Yes, mental illness only became a reality because of helicopter parenting. Mental illness doesn't exist in poor people either.

by Anonymousreply 5312/05/2017

So Christian.

by Anonymousreply 5412/06/2017

This will just get worse. Six years of Republican stranglehold on Congress, refusing to act.

by Anonymousreply 5512/06/2017

The deplorables rely on welfare, SSI and food stamps. Even if they were denied these programs, a majority of them would STILL support Trump.

by Anonymousreply 5612/06/2017

R34, fuck off. Have you ever even been privy to the struggles that a bipolar person faces? The medication that they’re on renders them disabled.

My friend isn’t some asshole who sits around drinking booze all day and smoking crack on the tiny amount of money he receives monthly. Being bipolar isn’t some sort of fucking party. You know very little about life, and the challenges otherwise intelligent and thoughtful people face when faced with mental illness that they develop through no fault of their own.

Grow up, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5712/06/2017

Yes they would, r56. It’s a combination of little to no education, with some strange sense of “Christian” entitlement and racism all mixed in.

by Anonymousreply 5812/06/2017

Does he have no understanding that his base relies on SSDI and foodstamps?!

by Anonymousreply 5912/06/2017

The most damning quote from that Guardian piece:

"But government investment in low-income homes has lagged since it was slashed during the Reagan administration, and today most people on the cusp of homelessness do not receive government rental assistance. Indeed, the government spends twice as much on a housing tax break for the wealthiest Americans, and the tax reforms under review by Congress would deal a further blow to affordable-housing funding if enacted."

by Anonymousreply 6012/06/2017

A nice Christmas present for his base 😂

by Anonymousreply 6112/06/2017

This is what the wealthy want, have always wanted. They have stolen the government from the American people. They own politics and we keep arguing and hating each other enough to not pay attention or group together to try and fight it.

Gay causes, minority causes, women's rights all are hot buttons to divide us.

White men just want to feel they are on top of the food chain no matter the size of their bank account. And the women associated with them will follow those men down to hell to make sure the illusion of the superior White man stays in tact.

by Anonymousreply 6212/06/2017

r39 Due to the wars here in California in the 90's there were a lot of Eastern European and Russians on food stamps and welfare. A huge number that no one ever talked about. I know because of friend of mine who worked a Vons (grocery store) would tell me about it. People love to say it's Black people and HIspanics but there the largest number of those on welfare are White. But that's okay because they're White.

by Anonymousreply 6312/06/2017

R47, do you seriously not know that those things already exist?

R60, another important fact to consider: dollar value of cash assistance has dropped significantly. People on TANF now get something like 2/3 the value of what people got back in the 80s. It's been held back just like the minimum wage.

by Anonymousreply 6412/06/2017

Thanks, R41 and R63, I prefer to rely on facts and analysis, not anecdotes and conjecture. The truth is that 7 out of 10 assistance (what we're calling "welfare") recipients are rural white people. Of course, any time you get a group of people together, like in a city over 100,000, you'll get a group on welfare. You'll also find welfare recipients in small towns — entire small towns, in fact — living on the dole. The Republicans like to complain about government picking and choosing who wins, but they never seem to mind the fact that over the last 50 years, through a series of "reform" measures, they've picked winners and losers, and the state of our current assistance programs is the result. And this is the long-winded way of saying that the people who are going to be hurt the most by Trump's effort to boot 6 million off welfare are the people who voted for him.

by Anonymousreply 6512/06/2017

We do need welfare reform but we can't just withhold it from people who really need it. I know that Mormons, Hasidic Jews, and a lot of Russians and, in my area, Mexican immigrants are scamming it big time and as, someone pointed out lots of poor white people.

by Anonymousreply 6612/06/2017

How about the wealthy who constantly scam the system? By only hiring part time workers and 'freelancers', they don't have to provide health insurance, paid holidays and much of anything else, just a pay check. Because of this, their workers are eligible for public assistance programs. Walmart is also guilty of this practice.

I know an annoying ReThug guy, he's married to a cousin, he owns a few sandwich shops. Besides ripping off his customers by charging extra for lettuce and tomatoes, he makes sure all his workers are part timers, none have health insurance and the turnover of his workers is laughable. He also pulls this scam, charging customers for the extras, then asks his workers to not add the extras to the sandwiches. Then when a customers complains, the workers act like they don't understand English. The reviews of his shops are horrendous, yet this creep is still in business because there are few options where his shops are located..

by Anonymousreply 6712/06/2017

In one review of his business, a customer said they overheard a wild vulgar racist rant by the owner about Obama! I'm wondering why the customer didn't just film it, then add it to YouTube. The state where his shops are located is mostly Repub, guess no one would care. But the reviews of his business are mostly negative.

by Anonymousreply 6812/06/2017

I have a friend I've known for 50 years. She as a daughter who was diagnosed with schizophrenia a couple of years ago and is totally dependent on the government. My fiend is a couple of pay checks away from disaster. Yet, she voted for Trump.

We've had long talks about politics over the years, I think she's been brainwashed by Fox. Maybe this will finally wake her up.

by Anonymousreply 6912/06/2017

R69, not likely. As soon as any benefits are cut, Fox will start airing "exposes" about dark skinned people who are cheating the government. The takeaway will always be "you suffer while THOSE PEOPLE live the high life with their Cadillacs and watermelon." (c) Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 7012/06/2017

Yep. They destroyed labor by shipping jobs out of the country, because labor voted democratic. Now they want to slash taxes in order to get rid of public employees, who usually vote democratic.

And it's permanent, folks. Public sector jobs -- like unions -- won't be coming back once they're vanquished.

Don't forget -- psychiatric hospitals were run by the states..Lots of state jobs in those hospitals. Take away mental health hospitals and you take away millions of public sector jobs, where the majority of job holders voted democratic.

One party has been on a mission to destroy the other party, usher in single party politics, enfeeble the population and install a dictator.

Get it?

They're almost there.

by Anonymousreply 7112/06/2017

I definitely think there is a mental health epidemic. I would gladly give up more tax money to build more facilities to house all of you hysterical fucking communist queens!

by Anonymousreply 7212/06/2017

What people don't see or choose to ignore: "food stamps" = economic stimulus.

I'm not ashamed to say I collected that benefit for a short while and guess what? I fucking well spent it at local grocery stores, fruit/veg stores, Trader Joe's.

What, people think those who collect this benefit are somehow able to spend it on Candy Crush and oxy from some goddamn Slovenian pharmacy website?

Watch grocery stores, other places that sell not-prepared food eat six colors of shit if food stamps get axed.

I don't know or really care if too many people are vicious, ignorant or both.

by Anonymousreply 7312/07/2017

Paul Ryan must be on a frantic wank fest lately, his dreams of abolishing 'entitlements' are coming true!

by Anonymousreply 7412/07/2017

Welfare needs to be reformed. Way too many people taking advantage of the system. Welfare is not supposed to be a lifelong support system. There was recently a story about the Hasidic Jews in New Jersey who milk the system and the crackdown on the community. That's just the tip of the iceberg. MANY people have been abusing the system for years and this must stop. Reform doesn't mean they are getting rid of it. Just means people who don't need it don't get it. And if you are on welfare you should be working if you are able bodied.

by Anonymousreply 7512/07/2017

Then they will have to work for a living!

by Anonymousreply 7612/07/2017

[quote]Welfare needs to be reformed. Way too many people taking advantage of the system. Welfare is not supposed to be a lifelong support system. There was recently a story about the Hasidic Jews in New Jersey who milk the system and the crackdown on the community. That's just the tip of the iceberg. MANY people have been abusing the system for years and this must stop. Reform doesn't mean they are getting rid of it. Just means people who don't need it don't get it. And if you are on welfare you should be working if you are able bodied.

How you do propose to weed out the system? By taking away 'welfare' from people who honestly need it? There are people who are trying to get out of poverty, so punish them because a certain segment of society abuses these programs?

How can the government they find out who really needs help, say a single mom going to college and working part-time, she does need public assistance, compared to the grifter Russian Jews in Brooklyn who work all cash businesses as well as the multi-billion dollar corporations like Walmart, which accept corporate welfare by mostly hiring low wage part-timers who are then eligible for food stamps and Medicaid? Any answers, I'd sure love to hear them!

Everyone crows about "welfare reform", yet absolutely no one has any idea exactly how to do it, much in the same way the ReThugs had all those years to come up with their so-called 'repeal and replace' health bill yet did not have one idea worth a dime!

by Anonymousreply 7712/07/2017

You don't work, you don't eat.

It's that simple.

by Anonymousreply 7812/07/2017

R77, again, I repeat. Reform doesn't mean repeal? What part of that do you not understand. Yes people crow, as you say, about reforming welfare, and he is saying he will do something about it. Sorry but if you are driving around in a Mercedes you don't need welfare. Think that's an exaggeration, come see it first hand in LA. You have money to details the interior of your car and work a few temp jobs to make it look like your are trying to work, yet still collect welfare, guess what, you don't need it. Can't work a 40 hour work week? Can't find a job? You want welfare, than you'll clean the streets and pick up trash, you'll work at a food bank, you'll tutor in under privileged areas. You will start earning it! Guaranteed if half the people on welfare had to clean toilets in order to get a welfare check, they'd miraculously find jobs. Those that are truly in need don't need to worry about welfare reform bc it's their to help them, the truly needy.

by Anonymousreply 7912/07/2017

[quote][R77], again, I repeat. Reform doesn't mean repeal? What part of that do you not understand. Yes people crow, as you say, about reforming welfare, and he is saying he will do something about it. Sorry but if you are driving around in a Mercedes you don't need welfare. Think that's an exaggeration, come see it first hand in LA. You have money to details the interior of your car and work a few temp jobs to make it look like your are trying to work, yet still collect welfare, guess what, you don't need it. Can't work a 40 hour work week? Can't find a job? You want welfare, than you'll clean the streets and pick up trash, you'll work at a food bank, you'll tutor in under privileged areas. You will start earning it! Guaranteed if half the people on welfare had to clean toilets in order to get a welfare check, they'd miraculously find jobs. Those that are truly in need don't need to worry about welfare reform bc it's their to help them, the truly needy.

Still not answering my question, how do these people driving Mercedes even qualify? I LOVE when people keep parroting the lies they hear on Fox! You still aren't responding to my statement about corporate welfare, which Walmart has been participating in for years. Walmart workers qualify for public assistance programs because Walmart severely underpays their workers and they keep hiring part-timers. You seem rather quiet about that!

My understanding, to qualify to any public assistance program, you can only make up to a certain amount of money, you can't have much money in the bank and your rent or mortgage cannot be over a certain amount. How do fuck does one have a Mercedes and get welfare? Unless the Mercedes owner hit rock bottom and bought the car when they were doing well. Don't assume that car is new.

The paperwork, which has to be submitted before anyone is accepted in program, is very detailed, I have a friend who works in a city office where people apply for all types of public assistance, so please don't argue with me or post anymore fairytales. Ironically, a lot of welfare fraud is being perpetuated by doctors and the medical profession in general, would you care to discuss that? You also have a sign a clause on the paperwork that you understand if any information is a lie, you can get jail time.

Stop repeating Faux News bullshit, most of the people I know who were on welfare, for brief periods, deserved every dime that got. For years, they put their hard earned taxes into these programs, there is nothing wrong with getting your tax money back, especially if you pay taxes, unlike the wealthy. Douchebag Paul Ryan got his college education thanks to his dead father's Social Security, a program he wants to privatize.

How about single people who have been paying high taxes their entire lives, have no writes off, no kids in public schools, don't drive so they don't use the highways etc, yet they pay taxes into programs they never use, then, if they do need to get some help, they are refused because they are single.

by Anonymousreply 8012/07/2017

It’s astonishing how poorly informed and misinformed FOX news viewers are.

I regularly read the NYT, the LA Times, WaPo, & the Atlantic. I rarely watch the news, yet will listen to it in the background while I’m getting ready in the morning or making dinner. Sometimes I turn on FOX news, just to keep up with their version of events.

It’s unbelievable that FOX gets away with spinning the way they do. They rarely give actual news, so instead, they spout opinions for most of their airtime reporting on something. They devote seconds, literally, to the reporting of an actual event, and the rest of it is devoted to highly biased opinion, and spin.

I have nothing against editorial opinion segments, however, that’s not the reporting of facts, when you spend ten seconds saying something like: “A whistleblower shared information with FBI investigators, claiming Michael Flynn told them that Russia sanctions would be done away with”, & and then opinions and biased deconstruction ensues amongst talking heads being paid to talk about what they “think” is true for the next 15 minutes. That’s NOT news reporting. That’s the kind of stuff you discuss with your friends during dinner, regardless of political party.

But most FOX viewers believe that this is ethical news reporting being reported by well informed journalists who have integrity regardless of their paychecks in proportion to their ratings and advertising revenue.

I understand that the newscast model requires viewership in correlation to advertisers, however, you can still report the facts, rather than long winded and biased opinions. That’s why I read the news, rather than watch it. I imagine that I too, would be grossly misinformed, if I only got my information from FOX & Friends.

by Anonymousreply 8112/08/2017

they want to break the "black ghetto" stereotype welfare machine even if it means taking down quite a few whiteys along with it. They probably figure since many of the whites are in rural areas, they can get "faith based initiatives" to kick in better there than in urban areas. But they ARE on a mission to break the urban black welfare stranglehold and all the pieces are in place to accomplish it.

by Anonymousreply 8212/08/2017

R82, what the fuck does your post even mean? You think that this is beneficiary to blacks and a meee few whites?

You’re obviously a FOX devotee. Why don’t you get out of your bubble, and start reading?

You soundly completely uneducated and not insightful.

by Anonymousreply 8312/08/2017

I thought since Clinton's welfare reform no one can be on welfare for more than 3 years out of their lifetime, so how do people stay on it forever. Or is that just another right wing lie?

by Anonymousreply 8412/08/2017

Of course it's a right wing lie. Maximum LIFETIME limit for federal benefits is 60 months, AZ has the shortest limit with 12 months. There are some strict exceptions, but states have a limit on how many people they can grant extensions to. States can do whatever they want with state benefits, but only a couple have no lifetime limits on state assistance.

by Anonymousreply 8512/08/2017

The MN legislature created a pretty good write up of cash assistance benefits back in 2002 when they were considering some new law. Some of the info is outdated, but the gist of it is still pretty accurate.

by Anonymousreply 8612/08/2017

For every $50,000 you make, you pay about $6 for welfare. You pay $4000 for corporate welfare however.

Reforming welfare is their distraction from shoveling benefits to the top.

Welfare is a teeny portion of the federal budget so this will do nothing to the debt

by Anonymousreply 8712/08/2017

Just wait until people find out most people on welfare are white

by Anonymousreply 8812/08/2017

White rural areas are about as poor as black inner city areas. There are not white poor people than blacks.

Yes, welfare recipients tend to be white and in red states.

by Anonymousreply 8912/08/2017

^not=more

by Anonymousreply 9012/08/2017

I don't doubt he'll try and possibly succeed; hell, after you've given tax cuts to the rich, sold off federal lands and attempted to end years worth of environmental controls, why not strip welfare? Welfare cuts are a good idea in theory, but they always ending up hurting the most vulnerable: the elderly, disabled, and young children. Now, most deplorables don't care about this until this means **they** now have to take care of grandma or their retarded little sister, but it takes awhile to get to that point.

I hate they way things are and I hate what this country has become, but the Republicans have been spoiling to do this for years (wasn't Paul Ryan getting hard-ons in college over this?), so maybe all those red staters who keep voting republican should finally get a real taste of what they've been voting for all these years.

by Anonymousreply 9112/08/2017

Go Fund Me will become the new welfare. At first the deplorables will love it because people can choose to give, rather than be "forced" to give via taxes. But that will wear off quickly as the begging never ever ever stops.

by Anonymousreply 9212/08/2017

There are a lot of tragic cases out there and not everyone can work. I've seen it all.

by Anonymousreply 9312/08/2017

Many conservative economists have made their careers on theories about how too-low unemployment is actually bad for the economy, that a shortage of labor slows economic growth, and so on.

What, exactly, is supposed to happen to the people who shouldn't have a job in order to keep the economy healthy?

by Anonymousreply 9412/08/2017

R80, are you stupid or blind. I only read your first sentence and decided not to waste my time. I'll only answer the first question you posed. Well if Trump said he would reform welfare, don't you think you should wait to hear what his proposal is before you say it won't work? Are u that dim? This has nothing to do with Fox News you idiot? If KCBS news in LA can do an expose on welfare fraud by INVESTIGATING why do you think it can't be done. It's called investigating...just like the investigation into the hasidics in Jersey committing welfare fraud ! Is that not answering your question? Because if you still cannot grasp that concept, this debate is futile bc it shows your lack of intellect.

by Anonymousreply 9512/08/2017

The irony in r95’s post is fucking fantastic, and completely lost on r95, which makes it even more ironic.

by Anonymousreply 9612/08/2017

Ending corporate welfare would mean ending the Empire, withdrawing our troops back to the USA, cutting $500B from the Pentagram, ending all Farm subsidies, all R&D subsidies where private corporations reap benefits of government funds- never gonna happen until government powers are radically limited and decentralized.

Basically, too many powerful organizations with billions of taxpayer dollars at stake, will bribe and threaten and cajole and blackmail our government to continuing all funding and increasing it each year.

by Anonymousreply 9712/08/2017

Can they at least hand out nembutal?

by Anonymousreply 9812/08/2017

[quote] Well if Trump said he would reform welfare, don't you think you should wait to hear what his proposal is before you say it won't work?

Never said in any of my posts that welfare reform wouldn't work. You are clearly the incredibly dim and petulant one here in this debate. With obvious reading comprehension problems.

Besides, welfare reform sure as hell wouldn't be Trump's idea, talk about a dim bulb! This moron claimed he didn't realize "how difficult healthcare reform would be", but he sure talked a lot of shit during his campaign about citizens having "the best and cheapest healthcare". Trump's been a manchild his entire adult life. This man inherited his real estate business, he's a snake oil salesman who has surrounded himself with similar slimy people. Trump could give a flying shit about welfare reform, let alone, the working poor and middle class. Trump and his crew of swamp creatures are all about creating a new version of a feudal system.

All these many years of welfare, yet the keepers of then gates still haven't found a way to deal with welfare fraud, when they sure do know who is perpetuating the ongoing fraud. Yet it's so much easier to scapegoat people who need entitlements.

No, you didn't answer my question, why are people who are living way about the poverty line (Mercedes, fur coats, designer clothing) receiving entitlement programs? Because bureaucrats are not doing their jobs. The investigative reports are out there, yet only a handful of criminals have been arrested. Many continue to get away with welfare fraud due to working in all cash businesses. Apparently there is little cross referencing of information.

You think companies don't perpetuate these crimes? There are tons of workers who have jobs where the boss doesn't want to provide healthcare, vacations and other benefits, they work out deals with their workers to pay them more than half their yearly wage off the books, the rest on the books. This practice allows the workers to qualify for entitlement programs. All this info about these practices is available, yet the government is not doing a damn thing about it. Do you realize how many companies now employ freelance workers?

That's my point, the government knows what's going on, yet they'd rather make people who truly qualify for food stamps and Medicaid suffer because of the scammers who constantly cheat the system.

The Republicans would like nothing more to abolish all entitlement programs or at least privatize them, nothing would make Paul Ryan orgasm more than that!

by Anonymousreply 9912/08/2017

He is such a piece of shit...is there nothing we can do??

by Anonymousreply 10012/08/2017

Nothing will change Because the Fed loves welfare.

by Anonymousreply 10112/08/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!