Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Austria Is Now 16th European Country to Grant Marriage Equality

DEC. 5, 2017

BERLIN — Austria joined the ranks of countries recognizing a universal right to marriage on Tuesday, after its highest court ruled that barring same-sex couples from wedding was discriminatory.

The ruling, announced on Tuesday, noted that same-sex couples have increasingly been granted rights equal to those of married, heterosexual couples since civil partnerships were permitted in 2010. Those rights include adoption and support for fertility treatments.

That left sexual orientation as the main difference between those allowed marry and those who could enter only into a legal partnership, which the court found discriminatory.

“Today, the differentiation between marriage and legally registered partnerships can no longer be upheld without discriminating against same-sex couples,” the court said. “For the separation into two legal institutions implies that homosexual individuals are not equal to heterosexuals.”

The court recommended that marriage be opened to all couples starting in 2019, unless Austrian lawmakers change legislation to stipulate otherwise.

With the ruling, Austria becomes the 16th European country to grant marriage equality. A similar law took effect in neighboring Germany in October. The Netherlands was the first country to approve marriage equality; same-sex couples have been marrying there since 2001. Same-sex marriage has been legal across the United States since 2015.

“Today is a truly historic day,” said Helmut Graupner, a lawyer who represented the two women who brought the case before the court.

Other European countries — including Hungary, Italy and the Czech Republic — allow same-sex couples the right to enter into civil partnerships, which grants them many rights equivalent to those of married couples, as was the case in Austria.

But many other European countries in the formerly Communist east — including Bulgaria, Poland, Romania and Slovakia — still deny homosexuals the right to enter into any legally recognized union.

The Austrian People’s Party — whose leader, Sebastian Kurz, won a general election in October and is expected to be sworn in as chancellor in the coming weeks — said it would accept the ruling.

But their potential partners in government, the far-right Freedom Party, criticized the ruling. They said it disrespected the tradition of marriage as a partnership between a man and a woman that is intended for procreation.

“Now there is equal treatment for something that’s not equal,” Herbert Kickl, the party’s secretary general, said in a statement.

Dismay at the ruling also came from Roman Catholic Church leaders in Austria, who denounced the court for “negating the uniqueness” of marriage “which is based on the differences between the sexes.”

The archbishop of Vienna, Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, told the news portal of the Roman Catholic Church in Austria, Kathpress, that he remained hopeful the ruling would at some point be overturned.

“I am confident that in the long term, a view to the order of creation, which humans cannot disregard without coming to harm, will be established once again,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 98Yesterday at 5:54 AM

Holy shit, that came out of nowhere!

by Anonymousreply 112/05/2017

The party of Kurz basically said it will accept the decision, but in a 'we're not happy with this' attutude. (And don't get me started on Kurz himself ... )

Btw, feel free to google the Kickl bloke ... lololol

by Anonymousreply 212/05/2017

[quote]The archbishop of Vienna, Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, told the news portal of the Roman Catholic Church in Austria, Kathpress, that he remained hopeful the ruling would at some point be overturned.

[quote]“I am confident that in the long term, a view to the order of creation, which humans cannot disregard without coming to harm, will be established once again,” he said.

Nah, bitch, it's over. And stop making life miserable for people with actual jobs, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 312/05/2017

Didn't the Freedom Party use to have as a leader the late openly gay Jorg Haider?

by Anonymousreply 412/05/2017

R4 I remember celebrating like crazy when that proto-Hitler croaked. That it was revealed he was homosexual with a boy toy and a whole separate life was just the cherry on top. I've said it a hundred times before, but homocons truly are the fucking worst.

by Anonymousreply 512/05/2017

They've fought gay rights in the ECtHR repeatedly. How sweet for an Austrian court to set them right.

by Anonymousreply 612/05/2017

I can see Italy being the last country in the EU to aprove marriage equality, even later than Poland. What a dumpster fire of a country.

by Anonymousreply 712/05/2017

Italians need to break away from the Catholic Church.

Most Italians today don't follow its precepts anyway.

by Anonymousreply 812/05/2017

For the first time, moving to a foreign country sounds like an attractive option. Australia? Canada? Uruguay? Take your pick.

by Anonymousreply 912/05/2017

The Catholic Church has no credibility to speak on this at all.

by Anonymousreply 1012/05/2017

i know this will sound ignorant but where, other than the freaking bible and so called religions and fanatics, does it say anywhere gay people cannot be married? is there some legal precedent......what happened to liberty and justice for all?

or is that the republican Just Us ? OK, let me have it.....

by Anonymousreply 1112/05/2017

Italy allows same sex union though, you don't even have this option in eastern European countries.

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2017

Congratulations, Austria! I'm so happy that the tide of equality has finally made it to your country. I wouldn't count Italy out altogether: look at what the brave Irish achieved, through a popular vote, no less!

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2017

'The Catholic Church' is no excuse for Italy or Poland. Look at Spain, Portugal, even Argentina and Brazil...

by Anonymousreply 1412/05/2017

R14, Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 1512/05/2017

With exception of Greece all East European Countries have defined marriage as a union between one man and one woman in their laws or constitutions! Slovakia is attempting to do the same

by Anonymousreply 1612/05/2017

R16 Add Romania to that list, where the Saint of martyrs, Kim Davis, toured recently.

Those constitutional provisions aren't going anywhere. Not this century, at least. The best way would be to force them through ECtHR to recognize spousal benefits of SSM, performed in other countries.

by Anonymousreply 1712/05/2017

[quote]With exception of Greece

What's going on with Greece?

by Anonymousreply 1812/05/2017

Now I can finally go back to Austria and marry Rolf since he lost interest in my needy sister.

by Anonymousreply 1912/05/2017

EU Courts have ruled Individual counties can set their own family and marriage laws, and there is no EU right to same-sex marriage

by Anonymousreply 2012/05/2017

R20 No one said the EU courts would ever adjudicate marriage equality, only that they could possibly circumvent the issue by saying non-SSM countries have to recognize spousal benefits. I can't see how that couldn't come into conflict with the freedom of movement someday in the future, especially with all major western countries having SSM.

by Anonymousreply 2112/05/2017

Then dissolve the EU.

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2017

It’s possible, but it seems the Court has found creative ways to allow countries to not recognize same-sex marriage. Allowing the eastern bloc into the EU was the mistake

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2017

R22 What are you on about? The EU is the best thing to ever happen to gays in non-SSM EU countries. You've no idea just how many find better lives in more accepting EU countries.

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2017

It is a bit of a strategic gamble with eastern European countries. The idea is you offer them EU membership and they slowly adapt to western custom and at the same time they provide a barrier for Russian aggression.

They'll come around eventually, it just takes time.

by Anonymousreply 2512/05/2017

R23 The Court hasn't found any creative way to do anything regarding SSM because it lacks the authority to do so.

[quote]Allowing the eastern bloc into the EU was the mistake

They would have gone to Russia otherwise and we would have several Russian satellites on our doorstep right now instead of just the one. All in due time; they're getting there, albeit slowly.

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2017

Well, it looks like I plagiarized R25. Holy shit, great minds think alike or what?

by Anonymousreply 2712/05/2017

Russia and global cultural conservatives have been able to successfully use gay rights in the bigger fight against the decadent, godless West. Eastern Europe and Africa view fighting gay rights as a proxy for fighting the West.

by Anonymousreply 2812/05/2017

Very good Ostereich (Eastern Reich) and center of Aspie Land!

by Anonymousreply 2912/05/2017

Took them long enough. Austria's infested with religious nuts. I had an Austrian acquaintance in the 90s - he said he was being forced to pay 1/10th of his income to the church, under some archaic church tax law. A compulsory religious levy imposed on citizens in the 20th C is just insane.

by Anonymousreply 3012/05/2017

Bggx

by Anonymousreply 3112/07/2017

Cardinal Christoph Schönborn will likely be a leading contender to succeed Pope Francis.

by Anonymousreply 3212/07/2017

Any Western European countries still left? I can understand Eastern European countries lagging behind here.

by Anonymousreply 3312/07/2017

Switzerland is the most noteworthy laggard; it probably doesn't get the same level of attention because it's not in the EU. That said, it will probably be legalized there in a year or two.

by Anonymousreply 3412/07/2017

R34, what's causing the delay in Switzerland?

by Anonymousreply 3512/07/2017

Andorra, San Marino, Northern Ireland hold out

by Anonymousreply 3612/07/2017

Also Liechtenstein

by Anonymousreply 3712/07/2017

Wonderful news but I'm confused as I thought it was already legal in Austria as Peter Thiel married his partner here about a month ago did he not?

by Anonymousreply 3812/07/2017

Switzerland’s government is conservative, and even if it passes Parliament, it will be subject to a nationwide referendum

by Anonymousreply 3912/07/2017

The Swiss parliament has extended by two years its deadline for deciding on allowing gay marriage. A gay rights' group has welcomed the move to allow the issues to be looked into in more detail. Parliament has given a parliamentary legal affairs committee until summer 2019 to draw up a bill on implementing the “Marriage for everyone”external link parliamentary initiative, which calls for gay couples to be allowed to marry.

by Anonymousreply 4012/07/2017

[quote]Italians need to break away from the Catholic Church. Most Italians today don't follow its precepts anyway.

Clearly someone who doesn't live here or has never even visited. Really, please refrain from speaking for "most" Italians when you demonstrably have no clue what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 4112/07/2017

Then please try to clarify how Italy can be so westernized and secular, while still being in the thrall of the Catholic church at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 4212/07/2017

Italy has a machismo and family culture. Single people remain living with parents until they married.

by Anonymousreply 4312/07/2017

Secularisation does not equal rejection or hatred of Catholicism. Many gay Italians still respect the church, attend mass and would like nothing better than to be accepted into the fold. I'm friends with an Italian/Spanish couple who are finalising a gruelling adoption process of a child from the Congo and a sympathetic priest in their town has agreed to have him baptised. A significant gesture of support because this is an important rite and milestone for most Italian children.

by Anonymousreply 4412/07/2017

YES, and a lot of people who don’t go to church regularly are still believers

by Anonymousreply 4512/07/2017

^ Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 4612/08/2017

There's an anti-Catholic vein running through WASP Americans that make them reflexively blame the Catholic church for their woes when, in fact, the 1). The Church doesn't have that much power in the U.S. as most Americans aren't even Catholic 2). Catholics, despite church doctrine, are actually more accepting, tolerant and welcoming of gay people than the virulently homophobic and hateful protestant/evangelical sects, which just happen to be more influential in America than the Catholic church is in nominally Catholic countries.

Seriously, I'd rather sit down for a beer with Pope Francis (he does like beer) than be in the same zip code as Pat Robertson.

by Anonymousreply 4712/08/2017

R47 It really needs to be taken on a country-by-country basis. Pope Francis, the same one you want to have a beer with, torpedoed the second SSM referendum in my country so we lost by an even larger margin than when that Ratzi creature led the opposition for the first referendum. I'm talking bussing the parishioners to the ballot after the Sunday mass levels of evil.

It's an objective fact that the Catholic Church wields an extraordinary amount of power in some Catholic countries like mine and they are as homophobic as the worst evangelicals in America. They just don't have to shout as loudly because they're aware they'll win with even the faintest of efforts. And saying the Catholic Church isn't to blame for Italy not having SSM is delusional; that's literally the only reason they don't have it yet.

by Anonymousreply 4812/08/2017

Never cease to be amazed at how americans throw buzzwords about Italy (Catholic Church, Machismo, Mafia...) like you had the slightest idea of what you are talking about. Your understanding of that country is completely maligned by your WASPy mainstream culture and also and viewed through the prism of modern italian-american culture, which is a gross parody of traditional italian values. You are completely out of your depth discussing it.

by Anonymousreply 4912/08/2017

The Orthodox Church is the generally biggest obstacle to gay rights in Bulgaria, Belarus, Moldova, Greece, Ukraine, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Romania. But in Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Lithuania, Slovenia, and Italy, Catholicism is the biggest obstacle. Islam is the biggest impediment in Albania, Kosovo, and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Estonia is one of the most secular and Unbelieving countries on the planet, but it’s culture is not very accepting of homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 5012/08/2017

The only Western European country left now is Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 5112/08/2017

Did they apologize for starting WWI and giving the world Hitler?

by Anonymousreply 5212/08/2017

ADD San Marino

by Anonymousreply 5312/08/2017

Ghgg

by Anonymousreply 5412/08/2017

Why is Slovakia so antigay?

by Anonymousreply 5512/08/2017

[quote] Single people remain living with parents until they married

This is a problem ?

by Anonymousreply 5612/08/2017

[quote]Your understanding of that country is completely maligned by your WASPy mainstream culture and also and viewed through the prism of modern italian-american culture, which is a gross parody of traditional italian values.

Italians: Marcello Mastroianni

Italian-Americans: Tony Danza

by Anonymousreply 5712/08/2017

[quote]I'm talking bussing the parishioners to the ballot after the Sunday mass levels of evil.

I think calling Pope Francis "evil" is taking it a bit far. Remember, this is the same guy that was not amused by the Kim Davis meeting that was sprung upon him by plotting malcontents and reacted by demoting the cardinal that orchestrated it from his position as ambassador to the United States. And the meeting happened the same day he'd received a long-time openly gay friend and his partner. I wouldn't call that as "homophobic as the worst evangelicals in America". Not the same.

by Anonymousreply 5812/08/2017

He's still responsible for pushing a distortion of the Torah.

by Anonymousreply 5912/08/2017

I like how Austria was neutral during the Cold War. Of course, location, location, location.

by Anonymousreply 6012/08/2017

Catholics talk about being anti-Gay, in some places, but they mostly brush it under the rug, with all the other things they talk about. The smart ones know what it means to be human. At least in the West. As for the non-West, well, I can’t say.

by Anonymousreply 6112/08/2017

The fact is, all major religion in the world class homosexuality as a sin. And in my experience, Catholics, especially the ones I'm aquatinted with, tend to be the most accepting and progressive.

by Anonymousreply 6212/08/2017

Hindus? Buddhists?

by Anonymousreply 6312/09/2017

What's with the sudden interest in Austria here at DL? I was flabbergasted when the "Would you Ever Date an Austrian?" thread got 150+ replies.

Is it because of their twinky new leader?

by Anonymousreply 6412/09/2017

Hindus and Buddhists too, r63.

by Anonymousreply 6512/09/2017

Anti-Western sentiment and renewed religious fervor has made it very hard to make progress on gay Rights in Eastern Europe. Russia is setting the pace ok the issue

by Anonymousreply 6612/09/2017

In Italy it's a mixture of traditional values, religious adherence and machismo.

by Anonymousreply 6712/09/2017

R64, probably.

C'mon, admit it, you'd love to enter Sebastian's backdoor, too.

by Anonymousreply 6812/09/2017

Btw, he's rumoured to be gay or at least bi.

Just google him and his 'girlfriend'. Tbh, if she were my gf, I'd become gay, too.

by Anonymousreply 6912/09/2017

Just saw this. Wow, that's great!

by Anonymousreply 7012/09/2017

R67 is correct

by Anonymousreply 7112/10/2017

Bermuda is in the process of amending its comstitution To ban same-sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Tuesday at 5:04 AM

^ guess I'll never go to Bermuda

by Anonymousreply 73Last Tuesday at 5:26 AM

Bermuda only wants the rich.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Tuesday at 3:17 PM

ITS VERY conservative

by Anonymousreply 75Last Tuesday at 7:48 PM

austria is by and large the MOST conservative country in europe, as in old ladies sipping tea. that they have no problem with this shows what a no-brainer it all is

by Anonymousreply 76Last Tuesday at 7:50 PM

I think Italy is more conservative than Austria. Probably Poland too.

by Anonymousreply 77Last Tuesday at 8:13 PM

All the Eastern European nations are much more conservative than Austria.

by Anonymousreply 78Last Wednesday at 2:54 AM

Norway and Finland are extremely conservative.

by Anonymousreply 79Last Wednesday at 3:06 AM

Not really

by Anonymousreply 80Last Wednesday at 8:28 AM

R62, Jews are extremely far ahead of the other two Abrahamic religions on gay rights put together.

by Anonymousreply 81Last Wednesday at 8:37 AM

The rejection of the Godhood of the Jewish God is the root cause of all bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Wednesday at 8:37 AM

Thjgff

by Anonymousreply 83Last Wednesday at 4:14 PM

Use your words, R83.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Wednesday at 4:16 PM

Poland may soon ban shopping on Sundays. On Friday, November 24, the lower house of the Polish legislature (the Sejm) approved a Sunday shopping ban, 254-156. The ruling Law and Justice (PiS) Party has presented this as a way to uphold the nation’s Catholic character.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Wednesday at 4:53 PM

The Orthodox Church is the generally biggest obstacle to gay rights in Bulgaria, Belarus, Moldova, Greece, Ukraine, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Romania. But in Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Lithuania, Slovenia, and Italy, Catholicism is the biggest obstacle. Islam is the biggest impediment in Albania, Kosovo, and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

And what's the biggest obstacle in red state America? How many Catholics live in places like Alabama, Oklahoma, Idaho, Montana and Mississippi?

by Anonymousreply 86Last Wednesday at 5:56 PM

Religious fundies are almost always intolerant. It's the craving for certainty.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Thursday at 1:41 AM

Southern Baptists are America’s most virulent and formidable antigay continent

by Anonymousreply 88Last Thursday at 1:21 PM

Ttfdds

by Anonymousreply 89Last Friday at 11:29 AM

Oh dear, R88.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Friday at 11:36 AM

R7 Greece is worse The Catholic Pope is liberal compared to the Greek Orthodox Church Patriarch. Who is also the Ecumenical Patriarch of all Orthodox Christians. Greece is very homophobic for a country with such a homosexual past.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Friday at 11:43 AM

Nobody in Greece cares about Ancient Greek homosexuality. It’s irrelevant to today

by Anonymousreply 92Last Friday at 11:44 AM

And that's why they're only a second-world country at best today.

by Anonymousreply 93Last Friday at 11:46 AM

UH OKAY

by Anonymousreply 94Last Friday at 11:52 AM

R91 The Catholic Pope is liberal compared to American Evangelicals.

by Anonymousreply 95Last Friday at 6:24 PM

R99 No I said and meant Orthodox Christians. The Orthodox countries are far less tolerant towards gayness/marriage equality than Western Catholic countries.

R92 The Greeks all know about their gay past and try to hide it under the rug. They aren't fooling anybody.

by Anonymousreply 96Last Friday at 6:31 PM

No, they just don’t care about their ancient oast. Why should they? It’s irrelevant today.

by Anonymousreply 97Yesterday at 5:54 AM

Their ancient past

by Anonymousreply 98Yesterday at 5:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!