Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV moments that brought you to tears

The end of this Cold Case episode. An HIV positive man asks the detectives to investigate the murder of his partner who was strangled in 1983. That the man he sees as he's walking down the aisle with his husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421October 12, 2019 6:01 AM

[quote]That the man he sees as he's walking down the aisle with his husband.

Who? What?

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2017 2:44 AM

Who? You. What? Are an asshole. Don't post if you didn't even watch the fucking clip.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2017 2:47 AM

The cancellation of "Lost in Space".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2017 2:56 AM

When Edith Bunker died and Archie was holding her slipper and crying.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2017 3:02 AM

When Mr. Hooper died.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2017 3:11 AM

Ugly cried through the entire final episode of Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2017 3:12 AM

I know everyone hated the finale of LOST, but the dog coming back and sitting near Jack at the end killed me.

And ditto what r6 said. Also the episode where David and Ruth prepared Nate’s body for burial was almost impossible for me to watch, I was crying so hard.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2017 3:14 AM

OP, R1 is correct. The sentence was badly written and unintelligible.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2017 3:21 AM

During the HBO movie Wit, when a dying Emma Thompson is read a children's story by a former teacher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2017 3:22 AM

I don't think I stayed dry-eyed through a single episode of "I'll Fly Away."

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2017 3:23 AM

I watched the clip and I have no idea what/who OP is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2017 3:30 AM

It is confusing.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2017 3:42 AM

Don't say that. He will get mad.

I think I figured it out, though. It probably works better in the context of the complete episode.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2017 3:44 AM

I sobbed when Bobby croaked on Dallas. When Bo and Hope had to give their baby back to barb and whatshisface on DOOL, I was a wreck for a week!

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2017 3:50 AM

Starting at the 36:21 mark. I’m sure this was many a DLer’s Friday night.

Highway to Heaven usually could make me cry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2017 3:53 AM

Me so confused by OP's post. Plus I couldn't watch is because of the crap music.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2017 3:55 AM

OP was confusing!

But I did cry through the whole second half of the Season Two finale of “The Comeback”. Got choked up when Val said to Mickey, “When have you ever disappointed me?” And by the time she turned up at the hospital asking for him, I was openly crying.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2017 4:01 AM

OP you were confusing. I watched the clip and kinda got it, though.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2017 4:03 AM

The end of Quantum Leap. The show was cancelled mid-season so they had to quickly put it together. In one of the final episodes, it was revealed that Al (Dean Stockwell) had been a POW who had been left in Vietnam. His wife believed he was dead. When he eventually returned to the US years later, she had married someone else. Then he joined the Quantum Leap project. Sam (Scott Bakula) jumped back in time and visited Al's wife, informing her that he was still alive and to wait for him. It was horribly, horribly sad because in doing so, it meant that Al never joined the Leap project and they never met, were friends, etc.

Sam also realized that his leaps were not random and that he was controlling them. The final screen was a message that he never returned home.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2017 4:09 AM

R10, forgot about "I'll fly Away." What a great show!

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2017 4:18 AM

Gurl!?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2017 4:22 AM

The episode of Roseanne where she spanks DJ, and then tells him about how her dad hit her when she was a kid always brings me to tears. Roseanne really was wonderful in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2017 4:26 AM

The final season of China Beach, especially the ending of the last episode.

The ending of The Thorn Birds.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2017 4:27 AM

Gurl!?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2017 4:28 AM

Every damned ending of the Rifleman. Every week he kills someone and every week the poor son has to witness it. Brought me to tears every time.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2017 4:31 AM

That episode of Der Bergdoktor where Doktor Burgner told some young kid that his homosexuality is not a disease but something completely natural. I was a 10-year old gayling at the time and that moment really touched me.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2017 4:35 AM

"How come he don't want me, man?"

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2017 4:36 AM

R9 That was one of the most incredible scenes I'd ever seen. Devastating!

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2017 4:39 AM

Jeez r9, that pic alone is getting me teary eyed. I don't think I could handle the actual scene.

(Probably because my mom died of cancer and I wasn't there. I'll always regret that.)

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2017 4:56 AM

Wit is a grueling movie. But it's brilliant, and the performances are about as amazing as any I've ever seen. The subject matter is depressing as hell, but if you can take it, it's worth the trip. It's one of those films that just stays deep in you long after you've seen it.

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2017 5:00 AM

Sonny and Cher reuniting on Letterman for I Got You Babe.

That was the absolute peak of her beauty too- just the nose job and braces to straighten her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2017 5:11 AM

When they switched Stevens and Fallon's on Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2017 5:12 AM

9/11

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2017 5:33 AM

The ending to Life is Beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2017 5:33 AM

Yeah it’s a movie not TV, but too bad.

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2017 5:33 AM

I cried towards the end of Call Me By Your Name. Bigly.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2017 5:35 AM

^^^^SORRY, wrong example.

It was the most recent cry I had.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2017 5:36 AM

The episode of "Upstairs, Downstairs" where Edward the footman returns from World War I.

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2017 5:44 AM

When Val got her babies back on Knot's Landing!

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2017 5:55 AM

When Sybil died on Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2017 5:59 AM

Please say how "Jurassic Bark", the "Futurama" episode featuring Fry's fossilized dog always makes them tear up, but it never moved me. However, there were other episodes which always get me misty-eyed.

"Leela's Homeworld", where she discovers her history.

"Luck of the Fryrish", Fry is determined to get revenge on his long-dead brother who he believes stole his name.

"The Sting", Leela thinks she's going mad after Fry dies trying to save her. "Wake up. Please, just wake up" always gets me for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2017 6:03 AM

When "Jurassic Bark" first aired it got pre-empted for football and it was months before it was rerun again.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2017 6:08 AM

I wish I could find Valerie's scene from season 1 of The Comeback where she's describing her high school years on her soccer team (I think) to Jane, the documentarian. She developed scoliosis (I think) and had to wear a wire back brace--and her HS teammates wouldn't allow her in the yearbook photo because of it. She starts to cry telling the story, but doesn't want to be filmed that way, so she flees the scene.

It's incredible work from Kudrow. Naturalistic and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2017 6:21 AM

There was a Cold Case episode about a dead gay cop, and at the end, his old lover fantasized about seeing him again .

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2017 6:22 AM

R5 posted my first ugly cry of my life. I was devastated. And 5.

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2017 6:24 AM

R43 .. Kudrow was brilliant! But I cried in the last few minutes of the final episode of Season 2, when Valerie gets in the uber crying and sopping wet from the rain so she can race to the hospital to see Mickey. The first time we really saw the "true" Valerie.

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2017 6:32 AM

CHEERS: Coach (Nicholas Colasanto) and his "old maid" daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2017 6:33 AM

Cold Case was a a great show. They used to play it constantly and now I never see it on. They always had some sad ending . . sad but happy.

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2017 6:34 AM

The final season of MAD MEN. Don's found out that ex Betty is dying of lung cancer.

"Birdie."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2017 6:46 AM

The Jurassic Bark episode of Futurama messed me up.

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2017 6:53 AM

When Mrs Daffy slapped the bill of Daffy, I thought "Truly this is the end."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2017 6:54 AM

Really sad TV movie about a mom's search for her missing son. At the 1:31:40 mark they learn his fate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2017 7:03 AM

R48, cold case always made me cry. Saddest one was when the fat girl got trapped in the fire and before she died she made her best friend promise that he would stay connected with her widowed father. He honors the promise by making a weekly visit to watch tv with her father. So touching!

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2017 7:03 AM

The episode where buffy finds her mom dead. In Buffy the vampire slayer. Rough.

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2017 7:11 AM

The Comeback was IMHO one of the best TV shows ever, including the Golden Age.

Making you laugh and cry in one episode is genius.

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2017 7:12 AM

R48. R53 Another sad cold case ending was the episode with the trans woman that Nicholas D'Agostino fell in love with and wanted to take to his high school prom. You find out that she killed herself and he buried the body. Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2017 7:43 AM

R48. R53 Another sad cold case ending was the episode with the trans woman that Nicholas D'Agostino fell in love with and wanted to take to his high school prom. You find out that she killed herself and he buried the body. Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2017 7:43 AM

Nixon's farewell speech after resigning. I hated him but felt empathy for someone who was so corrupt and seemed to realize it and what it led him to.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2017 8:43 AM

Michael Landon's final appearance on The Tonight Show when everyone knew he was a dying man.

Likewise, Tammy Faye's final appearance on Larry King Live when she looked absolutely skeletal. She died at home just hours later.

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2017 9:16 AM

ER, Mark, eclampsia.

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2017 9:17 AM

Johnny Carson's emotional farewell speech to the viewers on his last show in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 61December 4, 2017 9:18 AM

Bobby Ewing's death scene on "Dallas", surrounded by family. Victoria Principal was so moving in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 62December 4, 2017 9:20 AM

The final episode of 30 Rock when Jane Krakowski was singing the "Rural Juror" song mostly because she started crying and that was unscripted.

It was a completely nonsensical song that was a call back to a few seasons before but you could tell they really enjoyed doing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 4, 2017 9:22 AM

Craig Ferguson s last show.

by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2017 9:53 AM

R4 and R5 were the first two that immediately came to mind.

by Anonymousreply 65December 4, 2017 9:53 AM

r7 They couldn't even fucking pick a dog that looked similar.

r21 You're not funny. Neither here nor in the dozens of threads where you've posted this GIF.

r30 How come when Audra McDonald does a black accent she sounds like a white woman doing a black accent?

r64 I never got to see this. Who were his guests, and what made this show cry-worthy?

by Anonymousreply 66December 4, 2017 9:57 AM

When Per Hansa had no choice but to go back out into the blizzard for a futile search.

by Anonymousreply 67December 4, 2017 10:07 AM

When Ash thought Pikachu would be happier if he let him go to live with the other Pikachus but Pikachu came back because Ash was his best friend.

by Anonymousreply 68December 4, 2017 10:29 AM

Mary Richards blubbering 'you're my family' on the final ep of MTMS 1977.

by Anonymousreply 69December 4, 2017 10:39 AM

Another more recent Futurama tear jerker, where Fry gets to experience time with his mother one last time through a recording of her dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 4, 2017 11:23 AM

More than one episode of This is Us has made me tear up (can only imagine how bad it will be when we finally learn how the father died).

Also, Kelly Clarkson's performance of Piece by Piece on American Idol. I'll rewatch it on YouTube every once and awhile and cry every time.

by Anonymousreply 71December 4, 2017 11:32 AM

Kid's mom dying and he's short money for her shoes-bawl my eyes out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 4, 2017 11:33 AM

I watched OP’s clip and I’m still confused. Is the guy giving him the stinkeye as he walks down the aisle with hubby going to strangle hubby?

by Anonymousreply 73December 4, 2017 11:37 AM

OP i just saw that episode of Cold Case 😃

by Anonymousreply 74December 4, 2017 11:58 AM

[Quote] The episode where buffy finds her mom dead. In Buffy the vampire slayer. Rough.

The body is a great episode but also one of the most heartbreaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 4, 2017 12:04 PM

The Cold Case episode about the gay cops. Handsome elderly Chad Everett plays the cop who asks detectives to reopen the case of his murdered partner/boyfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 4, 2017 12:25 PM

[quote]I don't think I stayed dry-eyed through a single episode of "I'll Fly Away."

My favorite show of all time.

by Anonymousreply 77December 4, 2017 12:28 PM

r72 That cashier is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 78December 4, 2017 1:48 PM

R76 A tearjerker ending that one.

by Anonymousreply 79December 4, 2017 1:50 PM

I have never seen a single episode of Cold Case. Is that always how it ends, with cutaways between the characters and their old selves? Is it always told in flashback? Is it worth binge-watching?

by Anonymousreply 80December 4, 2017 1:54 PM

Yes to all three R80

by Anonymousreply 81December 4, 2017 1:55 PM

Brendan Frasier's death on Scrubs (handled over two episodes).

The character appeared on two previous episodes of the series as Dr. Cox's ex-brother-in-law & best friend Ben.

It's been years since I saw the episode, but IIRC you're led to believe that everything was going to be fine with Ben, who had been in remission but hadn't been following-up on his own well-being.

And then - BAM - you find out that he in fact died, and what you had been watching was a depiction of the very warm feelings (to the point of seeming almost romantic) Cox felt toward his best buddy.

The moment you learn he's dead felt like a sucker punch.

by Anonymousreply 82December 4, 2017 2:07 PM

The Eleventh Doctor's regeneration, Matt Smith to Peter Capaldi. I bawled like a babe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 4, 2017 2:18 PM

R67 Nothing like a good Rolvaag reference! Does anyone read "Giants in the Earth" these days? We read it in AP English in 1974.

by Anonymousreply 84December 4, 2017 2:19 PM

Lady Sybil dying of eclampsia on Downton Abbey. Harrowing stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 4, 2017 2:26 PM

Edith Bunker saying goodbye to her neighbor Louise Jefferson. Trying to lighten things up, Edith tells Louise "I'll just say so long." After a last embrace that has them bot in tears Edith starts to rush out saying quickly "bye, Louise" but then she briefly turns back to choke out "I mean...so long." I thought that scene was a lot more moving than the one where Carroll O'Connor hams it up during his holding Edith's slipper scene.

by Anonymousreply 86December 4, 2017 2:36 PM

I sometimes wonder whether a homophobe would feel anything after watching an episode like R76. A homophobic frau might see the light perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 87December 4, 2017 2:36 PM

I was home watching All My Children when they killed off Brooke and Tom's young daughter Laura. I recall Rosie O'Donnell talking about how much it upset her years later. I remember back in the VCR days, I had women friends who said they were not going to watch the episode as it was too disturbing to even think about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 4, 2017 2:41 PM

[quote] The Cold Case episode about the gay cops.

A gay cop; is there nothing sacred? For all we know he could be in there kissing a suspect!

by Anonymousreply 89December 4, 2017 2:44 PM

Loved Cold Case... i cried at the end of almost any episode. Best procedural ever. The last five minutes of Six Feet Under are the holy grail of tears. I rewatch them every time i need a good long cry. Never had the guts to watch Wit, i could pass out from dehydration.

by Anonymousreply 90December 4, 2017 2:55 PM

R27's clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 4, 2017 3:10 PM

Cold Case's episodes were manipulatively structured to have that effect. So were The Ghost Whisper's. Not that there's anything wrong with that. As Joni wrote: "Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release".

by Anonymousreply 92December 4, 2017 3:10 PM

The ending songs in Cold Case were always hits from the year the crime occurred.

by Anonymousreply 93December 4, 2017 3:32 PM

Gloria's miscarriage in 'All in the Family'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 4, 2017 3:34 PM

Another Cold Case ending about a college student who was gay bashed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 4, 2017 3:37 PM

Amazing Esther Rolle (her husband on the series had died). Sorry about the quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 4, 2017 3:39 PM

The final minutes of the first season finale on the OC. The last minutes of the series finale of the OC.

The whole damn last episode of LOST. I watch it anytime I need a good cry .

by Anonymousreply 97December 4, 2017 3:52 PM

I don't know if TV ever made me cry. There was something about Rich Man, Poor Man, but that was so long ago I can't remember what it was.

by Anonymousreply 98December 4, 2017 4:04 PM

R4's scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 4, 2017 4:07 PM

[Quote] The final minutes of the first season finale on the OC. The last minutes of the series finale of the OC.

I always liked the finale too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 4, 2017 4:11 PM

If this doesnt make you cry,you've gotno heart!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 4, 2017 4:18 PM

Thank you for alerting me To I'll Fly Away. I had completely missed it (it did not air in my area), and always assumed it was a sitcom, until now.

by Anonymousreply 102December 4, 2017 4:18 PM

R101, Everybody's got a heart. Except some people.

by Anonymousreply 103December 4, 2017 4:19 PM

Shit,I dont know what happened! Grab your hankies,girls!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 4, 2017 4:20 PM

R41 those were cartoons but honestly some of the best TV I had seen in a long time. Love you for mentioning them.

by Anonymousreply 105December 4, 2017 4:26 PM

A character on All My Children who died of AIDS, the wife of Adam's slow twin Stuart. Stuart was bed-side as she passed and though I always found her character to be a cloying simp, her death had me in tears, what 20 or 30 years ago. I think her name was Cindy.

by Anonymousreply 106December 4, 2017 4:32 PM

1968 June 06

Robert Kennedy being assassinated walking through the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in L.A. after winning the California primary.

His bodyguard told him to Avoid that kitchen but he did not listen and was shot 3 times. He asked the busboy who cradled his head "Is everyone OK?" and his last words were to the medics putting him on a stretcher which were "Don't life me."

This country as gone straight to hell ever since his death. SO far, the worst result of this tragedy is that fat piece of shit typing away on Twitter while he shoves pastries into his mouth at3 3 AM in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 107December 4, 2017 4:48 PM

Monica’s monologues in many episodes of Touched by an Angel.

by Anonymousreply 108December 4, 2017 4:50 PM

All In The Family when Mike and Gloria leave to go to California and Mike hugs Archie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 4, 2017 4:51 PM

When Mike and Archie are locked in the bar storeroom and Archie is defending his abusive father and talking about his childhood growing up poor and Mike finally understands Archie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 4, 2017 4:52 PM

The ending of "The Queen of the Stardust Ballroom" my Mother had just passed. She was widowed for many years and had a few loser boyfriends after my Dad died.

When I was a kid, the ending of "Lassie" when they played the theme song and Lassie places his paw up.

by Anonymousreply 111December 4, 2017 4:58 PM

I want to understand what OP is talking about but I don't speak dotardese.

by Anonymousreply 112December 4, 2017 5:00 PM

Ugly Betty after the ep where Santos is shot and the season premier we think Santos is alive but it's just Hilda imagining him still alive. When Betty goes into Hilda's room and Hilda breaks down I sobbed like a baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 4, 2017 5:04 PM

Another Cold Case episode "One Night" A teenage hustler is picked up and is buried alive and the team has to find him. When the two guys see each other again had me blubbering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 4, 2017 5:20 PM

The O.C. finale is a great one. I remember sobbing like crazy during it. I'm not sure why, but seeing Julie go back to college and graduated with her family in the audience made me blubber like a baby. I loved her character arc from spoiled rich housewife to poor trailer trash to victorious again. I loved that song they used, too. That entire show took me by surprised. I watched it at least 5 years after it had been off the air expecting a cheesy teen soap, but it gave the adults a lot of great material, too.

I remember 2 moments on Nip/Tuck that got me - 1.) Sean saying goodbye to his lover, Megan, as she kills herself with "Rocketman" in the background. So heartbreaking. 2.) the season two finale set to "All I Know."

by Anonymousreply 115December 4, 2017 5:51 PM

Yes(106). to all you said. She dies, and then suddenly she walked into her son's room in a floral dress, made up and healthy, fixed his blanket while he was sleeping, and faded away. Lovely ending to an very impactful storyline.

It was the beginning of the AIDS crisis. People tried to get her fired from the hair salon as "shampoo girl" because they thought she might infect them. An awful time in the world.

by Anonymousreply 116December 4, 2017 6:26 PM

When Jessica Tuck died from Lupus on One Life To Live.

by Anonymousreply 117December 4, 2017 7:18 PM

Try not to cry, Christmas edition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 4, 2017 7:39 PM

Miami Vice, Down For The Count at the end of part one when Stan finds Larry dead in the shower and hugs him. Saw it the first time as a kid and cried and as an adult it still breaks me up.

by Anonymousreply 119December 4, 2017 10:22 PM

The gay cops from that Cold Case episode shared a hot kiss. I remember it being the first time two men kissed on TV and nobody made a big deal out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 4, 2017 10:28 PM

I can’t find the clip, but the MASH episode where Margaret tells the nurses how she feels excluded by them.

“Margaret: [chastising the nurses, as she holds back tears] Did you ever show me any kind of friendship? Ask my help with a personal problem? Include me in one of your little bull sessions? Can you imagine what it feels like to walk by this tent and hear you laughing and know... I'm not welcome? Did you ever once ever offer me a lousy cup of coffee?

Nurse: [Stunned at this show of emotion] We didn't think you'd accept.

Margaret: Well, you were wrong.“

by Anonymousreply 121December 4, 2017 10:45 PM

You stupid idiot r64 Craig Ferguson of the late late show who used to follow david Letterman it was sad because I knew there probably be another great jost again.

by Anonymousreply 122December 4, 2017 10:47 PM

Lt Colonel Henry Blake's death on MASH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 4, 2017 11:41 PM

"He is moving like a tremendous machine!" Secretariat at the Belmont Stakes.

by Anonymousreply 124December 4, 2017 11:52 PM

When Dudley told everyone Mr. Horton touched him.

by Anonymousreply 125December 4, 2017 11:54 PM

Series finale of Six Feet Under. I have never boo-hooed at a damn TV show before. How dare they do that to me? And R124 Yes! Secretariat in 1973 Belmont can turn on the water works here.

by Anonymousreply 126December 4, 2017 11:55 PM

From 'The Wire', the scene where Omar sees that his boyfriend, Brandon, has been tortured and mutilated. Sorry, it's rough, so if you're too sensitive, skip it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 5, 2017 12:03 AM

Secretariat's Belmont for sure, R124 and R126. California racing fans may remember a tough old gelding named John Henry. I saw him run at Santa Anita, and his races always brought me to tears. He was nine years old in 1984 when he won the Arlington Million. The race begins around the 3:15 mark in the linked video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 5, 2017 12:08 AM

R126,. yes, and when you become an old man, you'll realize just how close to real life it really is. Time doesn't really exist, but we do....but only briefly. Life your life and be the person who were supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 129December 5, 2017 12:14 AM

R129, as usual, forgetting to add the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130December 5, 2017 12:15 AM

Bette singing to Johnny on his last show with guests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 5, 2017 12:23 AM

Secretariat was amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 5, 2017 12:25 AM

Too many to list, I have come to tears over touching commercials. I can't help it I am a crier.

One that I remember the most though is watching the announcement of the marriage equality decision from the Supreme Court.

Last one I remember is the ending of Cider House Rules which I saw for the first time last weekend, I told you it doesn't take much for me to cry, more so for happy endings than sad ones.

by Anonymousreply 133December 5, 2017 12:30 AM

When Titus dumps Michael ... and we find out Michael was playing around on Titus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 5, 2017 12:30 AM

The episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show that focused on how Pepper ended up in the asylum. I can't find any specific clips. But, I cried at the end when Pepper is the asylum and sees Elsa's picture on a magazine cover.

by Anonymousreply 135December 5, 2017 12:35 AM

OPs clip made me cry. MARY!

Cold Case was SO good in SO many stories about LGBT people, in a way no show was before and few have been since.

by Anonymousreply 136December 5, 2017 12:41 AM

[quote]Highway to Heaven usually could make me cry.

I remember my mom crying to some of those episodes. That show was corny, but there were several episodes that I really enjoyed. I have recently watched several episodes on YouTube and Amazon Prime recently. I think if many hardcore conservative Christians watched Highway to Heaven today they would hate it. The show was very pro-immigrant, anti-racist, and there was an episode that encouraged accepting non-Christians in the world.

by Anonymousreply 137December 5, 2017 12:41 AM

The General Hospital episode when BJ was left brain dead and Tony donates her heart to her cousin Maxie.

by Anonymousreply 138December 5, 2017 12:44 AM

The episode when Michael J Fox left Spin City because of his Parkinsons. His father from Family Ties, Micahel Gross,was on the show and at the end the cast all came out in front of the audience and hugged MJF. So moving.

by Anonymousreply 139December 5, 2017 12:48 AM

Oh yes, when Tony rests his head on Maxie's chest to hear BJ's heart beating inside...

SOB

by Anonymousreply 140December 5, 2017 12:48 AM

[quote]One that I remember the most though is watching the announcement of the marriage equality decision from the Supreme Court.

Yeah, I'm a crier, too. I'd give you a big hug if you were nearby.

by Anonymousreply 141December 5, 2017 12:54 AM

Here's another clip from the West Wing that always made me cry. If only we could just accept one another and live and let live!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 5, 2017 12:57 AM

The President of Earth Alliance has a speech before the 'Battle of the Line' in the TV movie, 'In the Beginning'. She implores any able ship to defend humanity's home before the final Minbari assault. Especially when she says that she believes that the human race stands at its twilight.

Honourable mentions for episodes 'Jurassic Bark' and 'The Body'. Probably quite a few more over the years due to gin consumption...

by Anonymousreply 143December 5, 2017 12:59 AM

For R121, at the 23 minute mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 5, 2017 1:00 AM

Adriana's death on The Sopranos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145December 5, 2017 1:04 AM

The incredible Six Feet Under ending

That is Sia, btw, singing her song Breath Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 5, 2017 1:06 AM

When the Laura Roslin dies at the end of Battlestar Galactica (the reboot), and when Buffy finds her mom.

by Anonymousreply 147December 5, 2017 1:07 AM

That's a nice one, R120, only spoiled by the fact that Brian Hallisay, who played the dark-haired cop, sticks it in Jennifer Love Hewitt IRL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148December 5, 2017 1:07 AM

Parts of the MASH finale were insufferable, but there were a couple moving moments w. people saying their farewells to Col. Potter.

by Anonymousreply 149December 5, 2017 1:09 AM

Okay. I am now convinced. I am going to start Six Feet Under again. Amazon Prime has all the seasons. Thank you, DL SFU queens/trolls.

by Anonymousreply 150December 5, 2017 1:10 AM

OP, in what language does "That the man he sees as he's walking down the aisle with his husband. " make a complete sentence? You lose on this one. To repeat R8 OP, R1 is correct. The sentence was badly written and unintelligible.

by Anonymousreply 151December 5, 2017 1:11 AM

In OP's defense, R151, he did start a very interesting thread. For that he should be commended. Let's all forgive him, shall we? We all have our moments.

by Anonymousreply 152December 5, 2017 1:15 AM

Mark Greene's death on ER.

by Anonymousreply 153December 5, 2017 1:15 AM

Pilot episode of L.A. Law with Alfre Woodard as a rape victim.

by Anonymousreply 154December 5, 2017 1:17 AM

Good one, r47! Coach was always so funny; that scene genuinely surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 155December 5, 2017 1:22 AM

Dr. and Mrs. Craig losing their only son on [italic]St. Elsewhere[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 156December 5, 2017 1:31 AM

R135 - I am still baffled how that actress wasn't nominated for an Emmy for that episode.

by Anonymousreply 157December 5, 2017 1:31 AM

I'm a HUGE cunt.

by Anonymousreply 158December 5, 2017 1:42 AM

R157 I think the problem is that Naomi Grossman was very unknown with Emmy voters and they tend to favor veteran actresses.

by Anonymousreply 159December 5, 2017 1:44 AM

Not Penny's Boat

From obscure show Book of Daniel, Anglican priest (Aiden Quinn) who lost one of his twin sons (played by Christian Campbell) imagines Jesus (Garrettsville Dillahunt) comes to him to talk to him. After several great episodes, Campbell's character is injured and close to death, and while Quinn struggles, Jesus appears for the first time to comfort Campbell, clearly for the first time not in Quinn's imagination.

St. Elsewhere: Jack Morrison has lost his wife Nina, been raped in prison, found out his best friend was a serial rapist, nearly lost his job, and loses his child Pete in apparent kidnapping. Everyone is sure Pete us dead, and Jack is called, presumably to identify Pete's body, but instead the police return Pete safe. And when Jack sees Pete he says softly not "Pete," but, "Oh, Nina."

Too many soap moments, but Maureen's death was a week of weeping. Also Andrew at the AIDS quilt saying, "I have brought you a brother."

by Anonymousreply 160December 5, 2017 1:46 AM

I sometimes forget R143 how good the writing was on B5. Like a lot of Sci-Fi shows, it wasn’t often great (usually mediocre to OK) when it was great, it was GREAT. The just had to land the occasional writer who knew how to combine Sci-Fi with allegory or a good story.

by Anonymousreply 161December 5, 2017 1:46 AM

Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey. (1977)

There is a scene where the young donkey is thrown out into a storm and his mother goes out into the storm to save him; it doesn't turn out well. This scene devastated me when I was 8. I was fucking inconsolable.

The link is to the theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 5, 2017 1:47 AM

The 'San Junipero" episode of Black Mirror. By its end, I had my face mashed into my pillow and was heaving these gut-wrenching sobs that I couldn't control. Kept crying for quite a while when it was over. It seemed to unlock something in me and I still can't figure out what.

by Anonymousreply 163December 5, 2017 1:49 AM

The last few minutes of the Penny Dreadful series finale just crushed me.

Rory Kinnear was amazing as Frankenstein’s monster/John Clare and he broke my heart in every scene.

I absolutely hated how they wrapped up the series but he was brilliant in the last few scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 5, 2017 1:58 AM

I love this thread, because many of us are actually kind old gays, who cry easily, and not bitches who enjoy crushing other people.

by Anonymousreply 165December 5, 2017 1:59 AM

What makes you think we're old?

by Anonymousreply 166December 5, 2017 2:03 AM

SAD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 5, 2017 2:16 AM

I used to cry at Seventh Heaven when it first came out because I wished my family was like theirs...then, the Dad turned pedo...

by Anonymousreply 168December 5, 2017 2:23 AM

The so-called Upstairs at the Downstairs in episode 4 @ 38:00 with the comedienne talking about counting sheep was filmed in The Monster. Spotted the scones first then saw the bar and the doorway to the bathroom on the right.

by Anonymousreply 169December 5, 2017 2:46 AM

^^^ Sorry wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 170December 5, 2017 2:49 AM

r128 what a beautiful old boy tears indeed

by Anonymousreply 171December 5, 2017 2:52 AM

R158: i'M A dumbass OF MAJOR PROPORTIONS.

by Anonymousreply 172December 5, 2017 2:55 AM

Rosario's death on Willi & Grace

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 5, 2017 2:58 AM

Maureen Bauer's death on GL.

Meghan's death on Valentine's Day on OLTL.

Ada's death on AW.

Oddly, Frankie Frame's death did not have as much impact as any of the others, even though AW was my favorite soap.

by Anonymousreply 174December 5, 2017 2:58 AM

R60: ER, Mark, eclampsia.

That episode is called "Love's Labor Lost." A pre=West Wing" Bradley Whitford played the husband.

The E.R. episodes that got me were when Dr. Anspaugh's son, Scotty, died of cancer, then then Nurse Jeanie Boulet sang Green Day's "Good Riddance" at his funeral. Billy Joe Armstrong thanked her when they won an award (either an MTV award or a Grammy) for that song. I thought that was pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 175December 5, 2017 3:20 AM

"Soap". Danny asks Elaine why she's always so cruel to people who are trying to nice to her. Later, Elaine's death.

by Anonymousreply 176December 5, 2017 4:28 AM

R176: You reminded me of some similar moments from [italic]Soap[/italic]: Jodie's break-up with Dennis Phillips, giving up on transitioning, and trying to kill himself while a speech by hospital roommate Barney (Harold Gould) gives him the will to live again; Jessica's speech to Corrine after the reveal that she's adopted; Burt's crisis of faith; there were others and now you make me want to go back and watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 177December 5, 2017 4:37 AM

[Quote] The O.C. finale is a great one. I remember sobbing like crazy during it. I'm not sure why, but seeing Julie go back to college and graduated with her family in the audience made me blubber like a baby. I loved her character arc from spoiled rich housewife to poor trailer trash to victorious again. I loved that song they used, too. That entire show took me by surprised. I watched it at least 5 years after it had been off the air expecting a cheesy teen soap, but it gave the adults a lot of great material, too.

I loved Julie's arc too and i think her character grew the most. The show definitely had some cheesy moments. I don't think season 4 was very popular due to Marissa's death but i never liked her so it didn't bother me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178December 5, 2017 12:39 PM

The only reason Marissa's death was unpopular was it didn't happen in Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 179December 5, 2017 1:11 PM

R179 Maybe.......would have been a depressing way to go.

by Anonymousreply 180December 5, 2017 1:26 PM

The How Great Thou Art episode of Designing Women, when Charlene wants to be a minister. She fights that battle (and loses) and there's a second plot line about Julia singing a lead in a church choir, afraid to hit the high note.

Of all the times Dixie Carter sings, this one made sense and provided a very emotional ending to the show. It's also remarkable because they really play the end very slowly, and let it build.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 5, 2017 1:45 PM

This finale of MASH was dull for the most part, but I do agree it had some tear inducing moments. Like when Charles finds out the group of Korean musicians he'd been trying to teach a classical piece have all been killed. Colonel Potter saying goodbye to his horse Sophie. And the ending where the whole cast gradually leaves the 4077 for the last time. I thought the most moving exit was by Potter, who goes off on his beloved horse Sophie, for one last final ride.

I also thought the "Goodbye, Radar" episodes were heart rending. Radar was probably the nicest, most sympathetic character on MASH; it's such a shame that Gary Burghoff decided to leave the show early. It would have been wonderful to have had Radar in the finale episode, going back to his native Iowa after saying goodbye to all his friends at the 4077. But Gary Burghoff was quite a pill, difficult and annoying, so finally he just decided to up and quit. The final "Goodbye, Radar" episode is unbelievably wrenching. Poor Radar; he meets a pretty girl while waiting for transportation back to the 4077 arrives, but their time together is brief because his transportation comes sooner than expected. Getting back to camp he's set upon by everyone because they need him to get a generator for them. He gets word that his Uncle Ed dies, getting him a hardship discharge. Abruptly he seems to go through a complete personality change; sweet, loveable Radar is now bitter, sarcastic, sardonic, humorless. He's "grown up." His going away party is cancelled due to incoming wounded. He's a changed man; as he gets driven away from the 4077 there's not one trace of happiness or anticipation on his face. At the end of the episode B.J. and Hawkeye and Potter find Radar's teddy bear in the swamp, indicating that Radar as they knew him was gone forever. WAH! Anyway, in an episode where they get a letter from Radar he seems back to his old innocent self, that that definitely didn't ring true. At the end of "Goodbye, Radar" it was like Radar had died. And in a real way, he had.

by Anonymousreply 182December 5, 2017 2:23 PM

When Dorothy put on that hideous Toilet paper wedding dress and married that jerk, almost killing poor Sophia.

by Anonymousreply 183December 5, 2017 2:33 PM

Two come immediately to mind:

1. E.R. - Dr. Green was my favorite character and his death devastated me. Whenever I hear that version of "Over the Rainbow" that was playing when he died, I get sad. I stopped watching E.R. after that.

2. Downton Abbey - Sybil had been my favorite character since the first episode and her death broke me. You didn't see it coming. I continued to watch the show, because in spite of Sybil's death, it was an awesome show. With that said, I never completely forgave Julian Fellows for doing that. She was a precious character. The acting by all in her death scene was stellar.

by Anonymousreply 184December 5, 2017 2:35 PM

Anything involving animals dying. Also, Col. Blake on M*A*S*H, Buffy taking the sacrificial plunge, and Cherry unexpectedly blowing up on China Beach.

by Anonymousreply 185December 5, 2017 3:25 PM

[quote] When Dorothy put on that hideous Toilet paper wedding dress and married that jerk, almost killing poor Sophia.

That wedding night, they went to the grocery store, got some fabric softener next to the aluminum foil, put rubber bands around them and made them into sploofs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 5, 2017 3:32 PM

The death of Ragnar Lothbrok on the show "Vikings". If you watched the series from the beginning, you had grown to love and admire this man and seeing him tortured and murdered hurt you in your heart.

The series finale of "Hannibal" - watching Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter embrace and then fall over a cliff was beautiful and sad. It was made more painful knowing that the show had been cancelled and we'd never see the progress of the bromance of Will and Hannibal.

I cried during both of these shows.

by Anonymousreply 187December 5, 2017 3:44 PM

Oh not a tv show but Macaulay Culkins death in My Girl . I was 15 when I saw that movie and bawled the rest of the day . I just could not stop crying .it was embarrassing .

by Anonymousreply 188December 5, 2017 4:39 PM

“thirtysomething”. Michael brings in a Christmas tree and finds Hope lighting a menorah. He then sees Melissa cautiously standing behind a door...all of this while Joni Mitchell’s “River” plays in the background.

I can’t even...

by Anonymousreply 189December 5, 2017 4:49 PM

[Quote] Oh not a tv show but Macaulay Culkins death in My Girl . I was 15 when I saw that movie and bawled the rest of the day . I just could not stop crying .it was embarrassing .

HE CAN'T SEE WITHOUT HIS GLASSES!!!

by Anonymousreply 190December 5, 2017 4:56 PM

thirtysomething had some amazing tear inducing moments, like the one r189 mentioned. Gary's death and the funeral episode was one. I remember that last flashback scene they had with Gary and his wife and very touching that was.

by Anonymousreply 191December 5, 2017 4:59 PM

Little House on The Prairie had an episode called “Remember Me” which guest starred Patricia Neal as a dying widow looking for homes for her children. It’s a killer, very moving. Reverend Alden reads the epitaph that she wrote for herself at her burial, her young daughter embracing her grave marker:

“Remember me with smiles and laughter, for that is how I will remember you all.

If you can only remember me with tears, then don't remember me at all...”

by Anonymousreply 192December 5, 2017 5:12 PM

Oh man, R192...I just re-read Neal's memoir, and Michael Landon wrote that role for her. It slays me too. She was such a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 193December 5, 2017 5:15 PM

[QUOTE] Downton Abbey - Sybil had been my favorite character since the first episode and her death broke me. You didn't see it coming. I continued to watch the show, because in spite of Sybil's death, it was an awesome show. With that said, I never completely forgave Julian Fellows for doing that. She was a precious character. The acting by all in her death scene was stellar.

It was a horrific death scene. They turned the volume way up, the panic, helplessness, and terror all seemed so realistic. It was one of the worst deaths on TV, next to Hotlips dog dying on MASH.

by Anonymousreply 194December 5, 2017 5:29 PM

OMG r192, I remember the first time I saw that 2 part episode. Patricia Neal was superb.

by Anonymousreply 195December 5, 2017 5:31 PM

Speaking of Downton, I wept for this scene.

Tears of joy. Finally, someone told that evil cuntress OFF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196December 5, 2017 5:36 PM

R96 mentioned my favorite. I was devastated when James died on the show--he's so much like my own father.

Another favorite: Colbert's tribute to his mother after she passed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 5, 2017 5:37 PM

The NYC Children's Choir singing "Silent Night" on SNL after Sandy Hook. I SOBBED.

by Anonymousreply 198December 5, 2017 5:39 PM

It's from one of the later lesser-quality seasons, but Darlene's wedding episode on Roseanne. Dan tells Darlene about some money (or maybe god coins?) he has hidden away and doesn't want her to tell anyone, including David. She tells him they're young and will be fine and have plenty of time to have the things they want. Dan goes off on her, telling her that's what everyone thinks, that they have so much time but they done. He then confesses that he hasn't spoken to his own father for years and his voice breaks. And then later he has the heart attack.

John Goodman absolutely nailed that episode and it was a great example of how even when the show when to shit, he never half-assed it.

by Anonymousreply 199December 5, 2017 5:46 PM

Sophia's son Phil dies. Rose of all people brings the wisdom: "So what if he was different? It's OK that you loved him."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200December 5, 2017 5:52 PM

I thought the death of Michael, Neela's husband on ER, was one of the saddest. He goes to Iraq as a medic and gets blown up by a roadside bomb. He leaves Neela a video tape of himself, for her to watch in case he doesn't make it back. Her watching the tape and him telling her how much she means to him is devastating.

by Anonymousreply 201December 5, 2017 6:04 PM

A different Cold Case episode "Forever Blue" Two cops in love in the 60s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 5, 2017 6:16 PM

When Abby gave birth to Joe on ER and had an abruption that required a hysterectomy, which obviously prevented her from having anymore kids. Luca, her baby daddy who previously lost his wife and children in Croatia, had to hold in a well of emotion as she asked him if he would be "okay with only having one". He proceeded to tear up and then walk off to the bathroom and trash the mirror with a garbage can. It was incredible acting by Maura Tierney and Goran V. Nobody died and in fact a new character was born, but the stress and Agony that the whole situation had put them through just brought me to tears. It was Abby's first child and it would be Lucas last, all because a gunman had shot up the ER.

by Anonymousreply 203December 5, 2017 6:25 PM

When "Green Acres" was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 204December 5, 2017 7:09 PM

Op, I watched that youtube link after reading your explanation and sobbed too.

It's amazing how life for gays has changed over the decades and older gays are watching their younger counterparts enjoying their lives, getting married, having kids.

by Anonymousreply 205December 5, 2017 7:37 PM

The Touched by an Angel episode titled The Violin Lesson. It's about a gay man dying of AIDS who reconciles with his family. It had a very pro-gay message which surprised me for a religious show. I cried at the end and I couldn't re-watch that episode for several years after.

by Anonymousreply 206December 5, 2017 7:46 PM

The Visitor from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine where Jake Sisko spends most of his life to bring back his father from sub space.

by Anonymousreply 207December 5, 2017 7:51 PM

r207, my favorite hour of Star Trek from my favorite Star Trek show. I re-watched The Visitor several months ago; the first time I saw it in years. I cried in the exact same moments I cried the first time I watched it. That ending! Wow! Cirroc 'Jake Sisko' Lofton acted his young ass off; truly his best performance in the series. Bravo to the always dependable Tony Todd as the grown Jake. Superb performances all around.

by Anonymousreply 208December 5, 2017 7:55 PM

R206 very touching and sad but beautiful episode

by Anonymousreply 209December 5, 2017 8:34 PM

On Dynasty when an increasingly unbalanced Krystal holds a dinner party and starts throwing the plates at the guests. Such good china RUINED!

by Anonymousreply 210December 5, 2017 8:57 PM

[quote]When "Green Acres" was canceled. —Suzanne Sugarbaker

Arnold Ziffel…what a hunk!

by Anonymousreply 211December 5, 2017 9:02 PM

This:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212December 5, 2017 9:15 PM

Obama singing Amazing Grace.

by Anonymousreply 213December 5, 2017 9:34 PM

SOB!

by Anonymousreply 214December 5, 2017 9:46 PM

Cold Case was amazing.

I hate the crime/forensic shows for the most part but CC was so good, and had some really fucking amazingly done stories about gay people.

I know this board is not in any way pro-trans but one of the stories they did was about an FTM trans person and it was excellent. The baseball player one, though, is the one that is maybe the best, because I think it was the first.

Even just watching this YouTube clip I found just now....the tears are running down my face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215December 5, 2017 9:49 PM

The All My Children scene when Tom has to tell Brooke that their daughter is dead is that much more poignant because the audience had no warning-no hints in previews-Julia Barr's Brooke is so real-not actress at all. It was so real like we were witnessing a real life tragedy. When soaps were this good the impact on the audience was indeed, like watching old friends suffer.

by Anonymousreply 216December 5, 2017 9:51 PM

[quote] When soaps were this good the impact on the audience was indeed, like watching old friends suffer.

There's a lot of shitty stuff on soaps, but when they were good, they were good.

In stories like this it was like watching your own family hear some news, happy or sad, and seeing how everyone reacted.

by Anonymousreply 217December 5, 2017 9:54 PM

R206 Here. Sometimes episodes are on youtube sometimes they're not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218December 5, 2017 9:55 PM

R213: I cried because it was so far inferior to Mahalia Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, and Nell Carter's renditions of the song.

by Anonymousreply 219December 5, 2017 9:57 PM

Second to last scene of Medical Center episode "The Fourth Sex" (1975) where Salome Jens finally meets her husband transitioned to woman (Robert Reed) - beautifully acted, written, directed, scored. Touching, tear-inducing moments.

by Anonymousreply 220December 5, 2017 10:00 PM

Damn, how many gay cops from the past who were murdered cases did Cold Case have?

by Anonymousreply 221December 5, 2017 10:04 PM

R220: At least on [italic]Murder She Wrote[/italic] we didn't try to saddle him with a girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 222December 5, 2017 10:07 PM

Ladies and Gentleman, Dion Warwick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 5, 2017 10:07 PM

I tried to cry when I got that scar in that car accident after falling asleep. Jo made it look so easy.

by Anonymousreply 224December 5, 2017 10:16 PM

beyond the gay episodes, there were so many wonderful stories on Cold Case. I remember one episode set during the Civil Rights years with a bunch of suburban white housewives, typical "fraus" who met for regular Tupperware parties. But it was all a cover as they were all secretly doing fund raising and activist stuff to help the black movement. It was a beautiful story.

by Anonymousreply 225December 5, 2017 10:19 PM

Derek and Ricky hugging each other goodbye in Jason Bateman's last episode of [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 226December 5, 2017 10:23 PM

R225 I remember one with WWII women pilots, too.

They just had very fresh approaches to stories.

We've had threads on the show here before but mostly they talked about the lead actress who was apparently a total bitch to everyone within 100 feet.

by Anonymousreply 227December 5, 2017 10:28 PM

One of the things I liked about Cold Case is that the audience was given insight into the victims' lives and the events leading up to their murders. However, in many episodes it was heartbreaking to watch the death scenes and the motives of the killers. The gay centered episodes were haunting. One episode that almost made me cry was the one where it was revealed that a deceased cop was actually a wife beater and he killed one of his twin daughters.

by Anonymousreply 228December 5, 2017 10:39 PM

The big Desmond and Penny episode on Lost. I think it was called the Constant, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 229December 5, 2017 10:45 PM

Waiting for the new fall schedule and seeing [italic]Who's the Boss[/italic], [italic]Growing Pains[/italic] and [italic]Full House[/italic] still depriving actually funny, intelligent, relevant, and believable situation comedies of air time.

by Anonymousreply 230December 5, 2017 10:48 PM

Cold Case also did one about lesbians starring Piper Laurie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231December 5, 2017 11:06 PM

"LAAURRRRAAA!!!"

[starts at 5:10]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232December 5, 2017 11:09 PM

Tower of Joy, baby, Jon Snow.

by Anonymousreply 233December 5, 2017 11:13 PM

Wow R162, I forgot all about that. I was probably 8 years old and that scene where Nestor’s mother died was devastating to me. That was a lot for a little kid in the 70s to absorb.

by Anonymousreply 234December 5, 2017 11:15 PM

Remember in the 80s when the phone company commercials kept making us cry and we hated them for it?

by Anonymousreply 235December 5, 2017 11:30 PM

When I turn on my tv to watch the news and see this, I will be crying tears of joy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 5, 2017 11:43 PM

The day ABC cancelled [italic]Webster[/italic] for those uniformly untalented white girls whose show has just been revived on Netflix because God hates TV.

by Anonymousreply 237December 5, 2017 11:54 PM

Rhoda Morgenstern's divorce.

I'm still verklempt.

by Anonymousreply 238December 5, 2017 11:58 PM

Thanks to those who mentioned Secretariat.

Secretariat was named one of the 100 Best Athletes of the 20 Century and ESPN Sports Century did a show on each.

At the 17:50 mark below they show multiple people talking about the Belmont Stakes race and their experiences before, after and while watching the race. One sports reporter tells how he encountered Jack Nicklaus at some later event. Watch and see what Nicklaus's reaction was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239December 6, 2017 12:01 AM

When Donna Martin lost her virginity.

And then David cried when she made him put a ring on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240December 6, 2017 12:06 AM

I was all ready to give OP shit for that unintelligible sentence, but then I watched that clip and cried too.

And even thinking about the scene with Archie & Edith's slipper makes me cry; I don't even have to see it.

by Anonymousreply 241December 6, 2017 12:08 AM

When Edith loses her faith in god after Beverly Lasalle is murdered also a sad one.

by Anonymousreply 242December 6, 2017 12:14 AM

The ASPCA commercials and the St Jude commercials. The commercial about “almost helping” and “Matter”. There was also a recent one about a medical research facility doing groundbreaking research, that showed a cancer cell being destroyed and all the medicine patients take being added to the screen with stop motion, then followed by photos of cancer patients. Very moving.

by Anonymousreply 243December 6, 2017 12:21 AM

The series finale of Dinosaurs. I don’t know that it made me cry, but it was deeply unsettling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244December 6, 2017 12:25 AM

THE OA

Can't wait for Season 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 6, 2017 12:29 AM

The girl on [italic]Facts of Life[/italic] who killed herself.

by Anonymousreply 246December 6, 2017 12:33 AM

I second the Nixon farewell. It was a man made humble, laid bare and very human. Having to confront his failings, giving us insight into his past struggles, his current shame. Not liking who you are/what you’ve become, and how do you reckon with that?

by Anonymousreply 247December 6, 2017 12:35 AM

R110's clip won't play for me, for some reason. I can watch this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248December 6, 2017 12:40 AM

The one time [italic]Family Guy[/italic] ever came close to [italic]All in the Family[/italic] was their homage to that episode, R248. No cutaways, no pop culture references, no music, no guest stars, just Stewie & Brian together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 6, 2017 12:47 AM

r216 Brilliantly said. That scene was so powerful. Julia Barr was amazing.

This thread has reminded me how unappreciated Cold Case is. It's a shame it is still not on DVD. The music rights will be a nightmare; however, considering the show started in the DVD era, it's a little surprising they didn't finalize those contractual details to ensure the show got a release in physical and digital formats.

by Anonymousreply 250December 6, 2017 12:48 AM

They need to change the music licensing policies and laws. It is embarrassing how many shows are unavailable because music rights make up the difference between profit and loss.

by Anonymousreply 251December 6, 2017 12:53 AM

I second the Lassie closing credits. The melodramatic music combined with the innocent look in Lassie’s eyes along with the paw and the melancholy whinnying make me tear up.

Does anyone remember Zoobilee Zoo? That show and Mr. Rogers would make me depressed as a child. There was also a TV animated movie called Dot And The Whale that could envoke crying. It was about saving the earth, I think. The Care Bear movies were sad too, about a potential world full of wholly indifferent people.

by Anonymousreply 252December 6, 2017 12:54 AM

[quote]The Care Bear movies were sad too, about a potential world full of wholly indifferent people.

You're telling me! They beat my butt at the box office and they never let me forget it!

by Anonymousreply 253December 6, 2017 12:55 AM

The surprise comes at around 1:40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254December 6, 2017 1:00 AM

In Boardwalk Empire when the man with the mask gets shot. He finds himself making his way back home and when he removes the mask his face is whole again.

Also, the backstory of the Gretchen Mol character is covered in the last 2 episodes, and it is DEVASTATING. I’m sure there’s a few others. Not my favorite show, but seems like a masterpiece compared to what’s on now.

by Anonymousreply 255December 6, 2017 1:02 AM

When Joan decides to keep the baby on Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 256December 6, 2017 1:03 AM

Dark days ahead (especially watching my hot daddy Tim cry).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257December 6, 2017 1:32 AM

No one will ever top this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258December 6, 2017 1:37 AM

"This is where I grew up' from 'Mad Men'. Kiernan Shipka's look was all I needed to see identify. I identify with this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259December 6, 2017 1:58 AM

damn, I miss Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 260December 6, 2017 2:02 AM

R236 LOL!

by Anonymousreply 261December 6, 2017 2:30 AM

SNL's video tribute to John Belushi, put together by his widow, Judith Jacklin. The song is "West Heaven", an original composition by their friend Rhonda Coullet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262December 6, 2017 4:05 AM

The episode of Newsradio about Phil Hartman/Bill McNeil's death.

by Anonymousreply 263December 6, 2017 4:22 AM

The episode when Billy died on Ally McBeal. So brutal and yet such a good sendoff for the character.

by Anonymousreply 264December 6, 2017 5:29 AM

When Lorelei Gilmore tosses a water bottle into Rory's empty bedroom at the start of Gilmore Girls season six. She loves her daughter so much but lost her to a hot rich guy and her backstabbing, enabling rich parents. And all Lorelei's ever really had is Rory.

Sigh. The grief of an abandoned parent who feels she failed...hard thing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 265December 6, 2017 5:34 AM

I was not a happy camper when [italic]The Wonderful World of Disney[/italic] cut up [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic] even more than it already had been to begin with to sell friggin' fabric softener. I feel bad for those who could only see the film by that means because they didn't have VCRs or The Disney Channel to watch what was then the most complete version available at the time.

by Anonymousreply 266December 6, 2017 5:40 AM

[quote]R266 I was not a happy camper when The Wonderful World of Disney cut up Bedknobs and Broomsticks even more than it already had been to begin with to sell friggin' fabric softener. I feel bad for those who could only see the film by that means because they didn't have VCRs or The Disney Channel to watch what was then the most complete version available at the time.

I saw B&B wjen I was about 8, was not impressed, and never saw it again : o

I don't think it got great reviews...

by Anonymousreply 267December 6, 2017 5:55 AM

Keri Russell's haircut on FELICITY....

WTF???

I'm still not okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268December 6, 2017 5:57 AM

R268 Oh! A Keri Russell fan!

Do you agree she looks like Lee Remick?

PS: I love her on THE AMERICANS. Great show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269December 6, 2017 7:00 AM

One of mine is weird -- It was the finale of the Stars series "Spartacus". Being an idiot I didn't know he was an actual historical character, so I was already oblivious. Anyway, from the episode description I got the idea that they (Gladiators) were going to be victorious in their final battle. So I was figuring on a happy ending.

Well... when Spartacus was killed I absolutely lost it. I mean big, loud, sobbing tears at his death. I thought of how great he was and all the good he did and how decent and kind he was. I was a mess. I still wonder what was going on with me that I had such a strong reaction.

I also had a tough time when James died on the original "Upstairs, Downstairs". Again, the decency of the character, all the shit he went through etc. Also, suicides usually get to me anyway because you know of the complete desolation that person has gone through.

For some reason, "Call the Midwife" makes me cry [bold]a lot[/bold]. I don't know what it is but I think I've cried to that show more (consistently) than any other.

by Anonymousreply 270December 6, 2017 9:02 AM

When the Maria and the rest of the Sesame Street gang have to explain to Big Bird that Mr Hooper isn’t ever coming back. It was moving but very well done because the writers chose to have Big Bird be confused and ask lots of questions, the way a child would. I think it was much better than if they portrayed Big Bird collapsing into tears and sobs. The other characters were obviously trying to hold it together, it must have been an awful day on the set.

by Anonymousreply 271December 6, 2017 11:41 AM

[Quote] One episode that almost made me cry was the one where it was revealed that a deceased cop was actually a wife beater and he killed one of his twin daughters.

I saw that one recently and i'm glad the mother was reunited with her daughter and her fiancee.

[Quote] Keri Russell's haircut on FELICITY....

Looking back, it's weird that such a huge fuss was made about that haircut. And The Americans is a great show.

by Anonymousreply 272December 6, 2017 1:00 PM

The scene in ANNE FRANK: THE WHOLE STORY when Margot dies in Anne’s arms and the other inmates start stealing Margot’s clothes and socks, and Anne realizes that she is all alone in the camp, and she looks up through the hole in the roof as the camera pans away...so heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 273December 6, 2017 1:40 PM

I think that was supposed to tie in with the skylight in the Secret Annex where she had a glimpse of the sky.

by Anonymousreply 274December 6, 2017 2:12 PM

The scene from Doc Martin when Martin proposes to Louisa after saving her friends life. Gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 275December 6, 2017 2:31 PM

Nestor The Long Eared Donkey when his mother dies protecting him in the blizzard.

Niagara Falls, Frankie angel.

by Anonymousreply 276December 6, 2017 4:29 PM

Oh! R162 and R234 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 277December 6, 2017 4:32 PM

My favorite Star Trek: The Next Generation episode was Lower Decks. Near the end when they announce the Ensign's death while on a secret mission was a gut punch. You got to know her and the group she was friends with very well. The scene at the end where the surviving friends grieve and Worf, who was the Ensign's mentor, comes to sit with them was so touching. That was some damn good Trek.

by Anonymousreply 278December 6, 2017 4:36 PM

The Xmas episode of My So Called Life when the mother realizes the homeless girl is a ghost and the girl says that she feels cold all the time. The entire episode was great but that scene is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 279December 6, 2017 4:40 PM

[quote]This finale of MASH was dull for the most part, but I do agree it had some tear inducing moments. Like when Charles finds out the group of Korean musicians he'd been trying to teach a classical piece have all been killed.

Agreed R182. First time I saw that and Charles smashes the record was very well done by David Ogden Stiers.

by Anonymousreply 280December 6, 2017 4:43 PM

The Chief dying on [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] and in real life.

by Anonymousreply 281December 6, 2017 4:44 PM

And the final season bringing on Rosie instead of Lynne Thigpen.

by Anonymousreply 282December 6, 2017 4:44 PM

I still get choked up the way Lucy Ricardo tells Ricky that she's pregnant. Lucille and Desi were awesome.

by Anonymousreply 283December 6, 2017 4:51 PM

When Peter Griffin farted.

by Anonymousreply 284December 6, 2017 5:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285December 6, 2017 5:15 PM

The finale of Dawson's Creek when Jen dies. She just seemed to have had a sad life. Bad relationships with parents, outsider bad girl reputation, boyfriends that never stuck around and then she dies.

Meanwhile, Joey fulfills her dream of living in Paris for awhile, has a great job and boyfriend in NYC. Then she comes back and Dawson and Pacey are still fighting for her love.

by Anonymousreply 286December 6, 2017 5:57 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287December 6, 2017 6:01 PM

When Grey's Anatomy's Dr. Thomas (When Christina was working at the hospital in Minnesota) keels over in the ER. That actor did the best dying of a stroke or heart attack I've ever seen. I've seen it happen suddenly like that to people in real life. The way the actors eyes looked and the way that his mouth was hanging open was so real. Most people don't die or go unconscious or even sleep with their mouths tightly closed, even though most actors do it that way, I guess because they don't want to look so awful with their mouths hanging open.

by Anonymousreply 288December 6, 2017 9:14 PM

Another Little House sad episode, Charles and Caroline finally have a son and Laura gets jealous. The baby dies and Laura thinks it’s her fault, so she runs away and goes to the mountains where God speaks to her in the guise of an old man, Ernest Borgnine I think. Very moving.

by Anonymousreply 289December 6, 2017 9:20 PM

So sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290December 6, 2017 9:28 PM

The very ending of Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 291December 6, 2017 9:34 PM

The Talk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292December 6, 2017 10:16 PM

I hate that episode, R289. Laura once again makes everything all about her; nobody gets to process their own emotions around the baby's death - they just have to help Laura.

by Anonymousreply 293December 6, 2017 10:24 PM

Several episodes of "China Beach" once John Wells signed on as producer starting with Season 2. Killing of Cherry was devastating but that final season which went back and forth in time and we dealt with McMurphy with PTSD was excellent and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 294December 6, 2017 10:28 PM

R293, I think the episode was supposed to take place over several weeks but it did seem compressed. Though I did love how Laura managed to find mountains in Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 295December 6, 2017 10:29 PM

Longer than that - the episode starts with Ma finding out she's pregnant, so the whole thing take place over a year or something

by Anonymousreply 296December 6, 2017 10:36 PM

You're right, 296.

There really was a baby boy that died young as well. He just never made it into the books. Much like the way that Wilder could never have remembered Kansas as she'd have only been about 2 before they gave that up and went back to Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 297December 6, 2017 10:56 PM

I think the baby boy is in the books too - possibly only mentioned in passing. (Sorry I'm a huge Little House nerd)

by Anonymousreply 298December 6, 2017 11:02 PM

On Modern Family when Cam and Mitch are getting married and Jay takes Mitch's arm to walk him down the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 299December 6, 2017 11:03 PM

Oh also on Modern Family, when they fired all the writers and replaced them with feces-throwing chimpanzees.

by Anonymousreply 300December 6, 2017 11:07 PM

This PSA about texting and driving. First time I saw it I welled up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301December 6, 2017 11:10 PM

This drunk driving PSA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302December 6, 2017 11:12 PM

Starts at 2:25 - Medical Center (1975), guest stars Robert Reed, Salome Jens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303December 6, 2017 11:58 PM

[quote]Oh also on Modern Family, when they fired all the writers and replaced them with feces-throwing chimpanzees. —Think it was two season ago?

Now that they have descended into transkid propaganda, I am going right back to [italic]Diff'rent Strokes[/italic] and [italic]Webster[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 304December 7, 2017 12:03 AM

In reality boys wouldn’t be lining up for Joey Potter . She had issues , was a bitch half the time and wasn’t all that hot . Never saw what the fuss was . Jen would be the heartbreaker in reality .

by Anonymousreply 305December 7, 2017 12:22 AM

Nobody's mentioned Sybil?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306December 7, 2017 12:31 AM

The conclusion of Princess Diana's funeral, when the muted bells start to go off throughout the city, and the crowd applauding the flower-covered hearse as it drives away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307December 7, 2017 12:44 AM

Buckingham Palace - the day after 9/11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308December 7, 2017 1:04 AM

The scene of the Mexican detective Marco seeing his murdered son's body in the US remake of The Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 309December 7, 2017 1:37 AM

R309 The same scene in the original series was very moving.

by Anonymousreply 310December 7, 2017 4:58 AM

Agreed, R310. It's a shame Kim Bodnia left the show after S2.

by Anonymousreply 311December 7, 2017 5:01 AM

The last ever episode of Bates Motel. I knew what was coming, and it was totally predictable, but it was still so heart-wrenching for me.

by Anonymousreply 312December 7, 2017 5:51 AM

Good bye England's Rose.

by Anonymousreply 313December 7, 2017 6:06 AM

Laura Ingalls might have somehow made her way to Carlton’s Peak in Minnesota

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314December 7, 2017 11:57 AM

Yes indeed, R307, the entire event had the lacrimal glands on alert. Just watching that clip gave me a reprise.

There was the goodbye note on the coffin, seeing the boys walking behind, Elton John's flawless song, and the applause which grew from outside to inside The Abbey for Charles Spencer's astonishing speech.

Even Christopher Hitchens admitted he cried at the great hymn 'I Vow To Thee My Country.' The entire event was otherworldly, operatic. Appropriately.

by Anonymousreply 315December 7, 2017 12:10 PM

^ from outside to inside The Abbey

by Anonymousreply 316December 7, 2017 12:12 PM

^OK, I give up, I'm not allowed to post the name of the Cathedral.

by Anonymousreply 317December 7, 2017 12:13 PM

The last 10 seconds of the last episode of Moral Orel. The "miracle" happens and he turns out OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318December 7, 2017 1:11 PM

Neil Young singing Imagine after 911. When Omar was killed on The Wire. When Joan Benoit won the first women's Olympic marathon.

by Anonymousreply 319December 7, 2017 1:53 PM

[Quote] The finale of Dawson's Creek when Jen dies. She just seemed to have had a sad life. Bad relationships with parents, outsider bad girl reputation, boyfriends that never stuck around and then she dies.

I think Michelle Williams criticized the show for killing Jen off, saying that they were punishing the bad/slutty girl.

[Quote] In reality boys wouldn’t be lining up for Joey Potter . She had issues , was a bitch half the time and wasn’t all that hot . Never saw what the fuss was . Jen would be the heartbreaker in reality .

Hmm i don't know. It's not like Katie Holmes was ugly and Joey had a tough childhood. However, i don't understand why her character was so popular and why Dawson/Pacey let her get away with being an asshole the majority of the time. Whenever Dawson would so much as blink at another female she'd start screeching. She needed to get over herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320December 7, 2017 2:01 PM

If Peter Griffin farting induces tears then the fans of "Family Guy" must spend thousands of dollars a year on Kleenex.

by Anonymousreply 321December 7, 2017 4:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322December 7, 2017 4:41 PM

They must be one of the sponsors, R321. I wouldn't know; I watch it on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 323December 7, 2017 4:42 PM

[quote] I'm not allowed to post the name of the Cathedral.

Which cathedral, R317? Here's a hyphen: -

by Anonymousreply 324December 7, 2017 4:43 PM

When I first posted, the shortened version of 'Westminster Abbey' appeared only thus: […]. Twice. But now it's appeared as I typed it. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 325December 7, 2017 5:03 PM

You're welcome. How odd.

by Anonymousreply 326December 7, 2017 5:04 PM

Christopher Reeve at the 1996 Oscars, his first public appearance since his accident. It wasn't a surprise -- it was announced days before that he'd be there -- but it was still very moving:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327December 7, 2017 11:42 PM

[quote]We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and ‘slipped the surly bonds of earth’ to ‘touch the face of God.'

My Mom was in the hospital at the time. We watched this on her hospital TV at the time. The old bastard at least knew how to give an address,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328December 8, 2017 12:38 AM

And the disaster itself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329December 8, 2017 12:39 AM

It was a number called "Shoes" on one of those Hollywood Turns 100 TV specials. They Drug out practically every star who could tap dance and put them in this number. They saved the best for last, and I burst into tears. Yes, I know: MARY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330December 8, 2017 12:45 AM

And Buzz Aldrin visiting [italic]Punky Brewster[/italic] to talk about the disaster and how it affected her dream to be an astronaut.

by Anonymousreply 331December 8, 2017 12:47 AM

My family moved into my current house back in 1963. My earliest memory is watching my Mom cry, watching this. I thought she was crying because I had used her lipstick all over the living room carpet. I still remember her sobbing as she got on her hands and knees to scrub the carpet before my Dad got home. I was just a toddler, but I still feel awful for my Mom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332December 8, 2017 12:50 AM

I’ll echo the post upthread about Elaine dying in Danny’s arms on Soap.

It was a curious show: a parody of serial dramas, a raunchy (for its time) comedy, and an occasionally quite moving story about evolving characters.

I’m not sure they ever had greater success with that evolution than with Elaine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333December 8, 2017 12:52 AM

R330, I don't even know what to say. December is always my toughest month, since I hate the short days, and don't care for Christmas. But that clip you shared is one I would have never seen, otherwise, and it lifted my heart, very much. Thank you, so much, R330. You might help me get past the awfulness of generic Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 334December 8, 2017 1:11 AM

When the female asian skater fell HARD at the Olympics and she got back up and finished the routine after everyone thought it was over and had stopped the music. Still placed at podium. Kerri Strug too. And when runners recently stopped to pick up another runner who fell.

by Anonymousreply 335December 8, 2017 1:42 AM

So many Olympic moments--I'm such a sucker. The African swimmer with the slowest time in history. Turns out he had never trained in a pool. Equatorial Guinea had a new swim team allowed to compete on a wildcard draw for developing countries and he tried out on a whim. He had so much trouble finishing, but the crowd just cheered him on. And of course there was tons of outrage after that he was allowed to compete at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336December 8, 2017 2:44 AM

Lu Chen in 1998 breaks down in tears on the ice after a near perfect program, which followed a year of hell after which her career nearly collapsed. Then when she exited the ice, she bowed down to her coach. Mary!

by Anonymousreply 337December 8, 2017 2:54 AM

Dan Jansen takes his victory lap with his daughter Jane, named after his late sister whose death wrecked his prior Olympics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338December 8, 2017 2:57 AM

And the mother of all tear-your-heart-out Olympic moments: Derek Redmond injures himself so badly he can barely hobble the rest of the race, and his father comes down to help him across the finish line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339December 8, 2017 3:01 AM

"Gunsmoke" has too many weepy moments to mention. God, that show was on a par with "Little House On The Prairie" when it came to characters dying or getting killed. One episode that sticks out in my mind is "Sam McTavish, M. D.'" ""Sam" is a woman doctor (played excellently by Vera Miles) that comes to Dodge to fill in for Doc (the also excellent Milburn Stone) while he's away. He doesn't really have a lot of faith in her (a woman doctor?), nor does anyone else. But she proves herself as good a doctor as any man and when there's an epidemic that's killing animals and starts spreading to human she takes charge of the situation despite the danger it poses. She and Doc come to like each other and even fall in love. But due to her dedication to finding the cause of the killing illness, she contracts it herself and dies. If you want a good cry, watch this episode. It'll break your heart.

by Anonymousreply 340December 8, 2017 3:13 AM

OK one more Olympics moment: adorable Alexandre Bilodeau wins his first gold and pulls his brother, who has cerebral palsy, up with him to celebrate, and talks about how he competes for the both of them. He did it again the second time he won gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341December 8, 2017 3:16 AM

I got weepy during an episode of Homicide Hunters, when Joe told the story about a teen girl who'd been brutally murdered and no priest would come wirh him to deliver the news to her family. Apparently, the local parish had some sort of priestly curfew after dark.

Kenda mentioned it to a rabbi, who grabbed a rosary and met him at the family's house. He proceeded to hold a mass for everyone and comforted the parents afterward. He stayed with them for several hours.

I was blown away that he was willing to do this and had a rosary on hand, as well as the knowledge of how to perform the ceremony. You won't find too many Christians willing to administer someone else's religious rites, so his decision struck me as an act of great love.

by Anonymousreply 342December 8, 2017 4:01 AM

Continuing with sports/Olympics moments -- Matthias Steiner , who, after winning gold in the Men's +105kg Weightlifting competition at the Beijing 2008 Olympics dedicated his win to his late wife and got emotional on the medal podium.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343December 8, 2017 4:12 AM

Muhammad Ali lighting the Olympic Torch:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344December 8, 2017 4:16 AM

One strange television moment for me was watching "American Experience: The Donner Party: A Film by Ric Burns" on PBS. I was okay throughout most of it but started getting emotional toward the end when the families were at their worst and the narration spoke about how they were forced to turn on each other for survival. I also lost it when the film told about how the Reed family managed to survive intact, including eight-year-old Patty who emerged from the snow-covered shelter clutching her tiny 4" doll which she had smuggled with her for the trip West.

On another historical note, this also made me tear up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345December 8, 2017 4:24 AM

Freddie Mercury commands the stage and the audience 20 years after he died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346December 8, 2017 5:10 AM

Miranda's freak out on SEX AND THE CITY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347December 8, 2017 6:29 AM

Harry & Charlotte on SATC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348December 8, 2017 6:37 AM

[quote]R298 I think the baby boy is in the books too - possibly only mentioned in passing. (Sorry I'm a huge Little House nerd)

HYPOCRITES! You know full well Maty's baby was used as a BATTERING RAM to break a window during that fire!! AND DIED!

It's all caught on tape!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349December 8, 2017 6:50 AM

Needless to say, we've got Karen Wolek's meltdown on the witness stand

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350December 8, 2017 6:54 AM

"This is Miss Schuster..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351December 8, 2017 6:55 AM

Re: R350 Karen Wolek meltdown, Part II

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352December 8, 2017 7:11 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353December 8, 2017 7:12 AM

I used to cry at the opening credits for Baywatch Nights.

by Anonymousreply 354December 8, 2017 9:36 AM

It that Judith Light at R353! She is completely unrecognizable.

by Anonymousreply 355December 8, 2017 2:38 PM

r355,,,,that would be EMMY WINNING Judith Light, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 356December 8, 2017 2:46 PM

What are you talking about, R355? She looks exactly the same as always.

by Anonymousreply 357December 8, 2017 4:30 PM

R345

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358December 8, 2017 8:20 PM

Okay, go ahead and crucify me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359December 9, 2017 12:33 AM

Gerda Weissmann Klein, the subject of the Oscar-winning documentary "One Survivor Remembers":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360December 9, 2017 1:39 AM

r360, that is my all time favorite Oscar moment.

by Anonymousreply 361December 9, 2017 1:59 AM

Gaby Giffords- before & after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362December 9, 2017 2:15 AM

"What are you talking about, [R355]? She looks exactly the same as always."

Are you blind? That face is SO messed up.

by Anonymousreply 363December 9, 2017 2:20 AM

For the poster who mentioned The Donner Party documentary,Patty Reed's doll is now in the museum at Sutter's Fort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364December 10, 2017 1:50 AM

I think this thread was supposed to be about FICTIONAL tv moments, not documentaries or sports events or Oscar speeches.

by Anonymousreply 365December 10, 2017 2:18 AM

Seriously, R365. Who cries over sports?

by Anonymousreply 366December 10, 2017 2:30 AM

But OP, which scenes gave you CHILLS????????

by Anonymousreply 367December 10, 2017 3:02 AM

R360. Thank you for that.

by Anonymousreply 368December 11, 2017 1:24 AM

I initially interpreted the thread as for fictional moments, but many of the non-fiction posts here are quite moving. Keep ‘em coming.

by Anonymousreply 369December 11, 2017 1:42 AM

[quote]This thread has reminded me how unappreciated Cold Case is. It's a shame it is still not on DVD. The music rights will be a nightmare; however, considering the show started in the DVD era, it's a little surprising they didn't finalize those contractual details to ensure the show got a release in physical and digital formats.

I used to watch a lot of crime procedural shows like CSI, Law&Order in addition to Cold Case. But, Cold Case was the one procedural show that I would have loved to have on DVD. Whenever I would see CSI, L&0, and NCIS DVDs in stores I never wanted to buy them. Sadly, Cold Case is pretty much forgotten by many because ION stopped showing reruns a couple of years ago. I doubt other cable networks would show reruns.

by Anonymousreply 370December 11, 2017 5:03 AM

r370 hopefully one day it will be released. The Wonder Years and China Beach were finally released on DVD with *most* of the music intact; however some episodes had to have music replaced because of music rights. Sadly my favourite episode of China Beach had some beautiful Willie Nelson songs replaced by some generic music, completely destroying the artistry and impact of the episode.

Like you said, Cold Case is forgotten by many so I wonder if a company like Shout Factory would even bother to put all that effort into sorting out the music rights.

by Anonymousreply 371December 11, 2017 5:21 AM

An episode of Due South called "A Hawk And A Handsaw" where a guy in a mental institution is dealing with his brother killing himself and he hates himself for not being there to save him from jumping to his death.

My brother died and still to this day I feel that I didn't do enough to help him and when I saw that episode it made me cry.

by Anonymousreply 372December 11, 2017 3:37 PM

R368, you deserve worse than crucifixion, although that would be a good start.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373December 11, 2017 3:43 PM

The bigoted "jokes" on that show do have an effect on its viewers. Someone once told me to my face that he considered homosexuality a choice, like smoking. He later revealed himself to be a fan of this show. It not only changed nothing regarding gays it made things worse, and what happened to the cast of [italic]Seinfeld[/italic] on their finale should have happened to the cast of that wretchedly vile cross between that and the equally abominable [italic]Full House[/italic] both on- and off-screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374December 11, 2017 3:45 PM

Don't give me the "it was thrown out of court" crap. And the ugly one was in that Bryan Singer movie that got an investigation, and he was the worst actor in it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375December 11, 2017 3:46 PM

Lady Gaga winning a Golden Globe and giving a speech worthy of a retard..

by Anonymousreply 376December 11, 2017 3:54 PM

For the other Cold Case fans: do you remember that episode with the pedophile grandmother? It was one of the weirdest things i had ever seen. Also, the guest stars were all played by TV legends like Donna Mills and Perry King. It was quite fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 377December 11, 2017 3:58 PM

r376, not only was Gaga Goo-Goo's performance in American Horror Story: Hotel absolutely atrocious but she also won over far superior performances like Kirsten Dunst (Fargo) and Queen Latifah (Bessie). Queen went on to win the Emmy later. Let's remind ourselves. The Globes awarded Pia Zadora a Best Actress statuette. Now that was tears induced by laughter.

by Anonymousreply 378December 11, 2017 4:04 PM

R376 But then we never would have seen this happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379December 11, 2017 4:13 PM

r379, I'm not a big Leo fan but that was some rude shit. What really pissed me off is that Leo had to apologize for the shade look he gave her, which I thought was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 380December 11, 2017 4:18 PM

R380 Yeah i thought that was funny too.

by Anonymousreply 381December 11, 2017 4:58 PM

The first version of ROOTS, when Kizzy is sold for helping her boyfriend escape from the plantation. Toby and Bell are devastated, and Bell begs her slave master and sinks to the floor, pleading for her daughter... Madge Sinclair was a fine actress who deserved the Emmy, but lost out to that old biddy Beulah Bondi for her lame guest spot on THE WALTONS...

by Anonymousreply 382December 12, 2017 2:19 AM

R371, that must have been the episode when McMurphy meets up with Dodger in the mid 70s when he has his bus. That is a fantastic episode.

by Anonymousreply 383December 12, 2017 10:09 PM

OP, the inter-cutting between time periods and actors makes it a little hard to follow, not seeing the entire episode. But clearly this has touched you emotionally.

We all feel. We all hurt.

Even the assholes who come onto the DL and sling shit at people.

God bless.

by Anonymousreply 384December 12, 2017 10:13 PM

R384 doesn't even go here!

by Anonymousreply 385December 12, 2017 10:39 PM

The crockpot fire on This is Us

by Anonymousreply 386September 25, 2018 1:17 AM

Some interesting and excellent choices on this thread. The only one that I don’t understand is the OP — had no idea what OP was writing about, and without knowing the backstories of the people in the clip, it meant absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 387September 25, 2018 1:29 AM

Forgettable content but beautiful staging of the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388September 25, 2018 1:45 AM

[quote]This thread has reminded me how unappreciated Cold Case is. It's a shame it is still not on DVD. The music rights will be a nightmare; however, considering the show started in the DVD era, it's a little surprising they didn't finalize those contractual details to ensure the show got a release in physical and digital formats.

It sucks about the music rights. The show is no longer in reruns which is sad. I thought it was a little bit better than other crime procedural shows. I did think there were some awful episodes like the stupid one about disco dancers and the War of the Worlds radio broadcast episode.

[quote]For the other Cold Case fans: do you remember that episode with the pedophile grandmother? It was one of the weirdest things i had ever seen. Also, the guest stars were all played by TV legends like Donna Mills and Perry King. It was quite fascinating.

I remember that episode and it was weird. Donna Mills played the creepy role quite well imo.

by Anonymousreply 389September 25, 2018 1:47 AM

Bobby Ewing's death on "Dallas".

Victoria Principal's acting was superb.

by Anonymousreply 390September 25, 2018 2:38 AM

Adventure Time's recent finale.

Steven Universe has a lot of teary moments for me, but Monster Buddies especially does it.

by Anonymousreply 391September 25, 2018 2:52 AM

The finale of CHINA BEACH where they all go to the Vietnam Memorial. Actually the entire story line of that last season, where KC gets her daughter on the last helicopter out of Saigon; where McMurphy confronts her alcoholism; Boonie's lost a leg, but is raising KC's daughter; KC's daughter's video interviews with the main characters in an effort to find out about her history and her mother. And the final scene where they're leaving the Wall and KC's limo pulls up and she rolls the window down to see her daughter, now an adult.

That whole series was great, and there were many memorable episodes along the way, but that least season really did it justice.

by Anonymousreply 392September 25, 2018 3:04 AM

I found this on PBS one weekend, and the story made cry just like when I read the book when I was little : (

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393September 25, 2018 3:24 AM

"How come he don't want me, man?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394September 25, 2018 3:26 AM

Re: R393

This is the complete story:

(didn't realize above was just one section)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395September 25, 2018 3:46 AM

This episode, where Aaron and Natalie are sent to Auschwitz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396September 25, 2018 3:52 AM

[quote]The episode of Roseanne where she spanks DJ, and then tells him about how her dad hit her when she was a kid always brings me to tears. Roseanne really was wonderful in that scene

Really, R22? I thought that was one of the worst episodes. She smacked him cause he had it coming. And then she chews through food AND the scenery as her mea culpa.

by Anonymousreply 397September 25, 2018 3:52 AM

THE VERY SPECIAL EPISODE WITH URKEL

by Anonymousreply 398September 25, 2018 4:00 AM

"The Civil War"-the Sullivan Ballou letter, the recitation of the Gettysburg Address, Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address, the account of the veterans at the 75th anniversary of Gettysburg breaking ranks of the staged reenactment to embrace their former enemies.

by Anonymousreply 399September 25, 2018 4:15 AM

[quote]r396 This episode, where Aaron and Natalie are sent to Auschwitz.

For a second, I thought this was about THE FACTS OF LIFE.

(A dream sequence?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400September 25, 2018 4:30 AM

Go to the 19.00 mark. Betty White is heartbreaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401September 25, 2018 4:42 AM

Speaking of Oscar acceptance speeches, this is my favorite of all time. It's the end that gets me. I just spontaneously bawl. A big MARY, I know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402September 25, 2018 5:00 AM

R402 - Not to change the subject, but you know what's really weird? Louise Fletcher, who's not usually a glamourpuss, wore a MUCH better dress to the Oscars the next year than Our Faye, who won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403September 25, 2018 5:09 AM

I know its for 13 year old girls but this scene from 13 reasons why had me snivelling like... A 13 year old girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404October 5, 2018 11:50 PM

Teary eyed bump

by Anonymousreply 405January 5, 2019 7:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406January 5, 2019 7:58 AM

The ending of Victim - a four part drama on BBC iplayer at the moment. Anyone in the UK should definitely check it out. It's about a woman who is convinced that a man living near her was the teenage boy who killed her 9 year old son 15 years ago, living under a new name. I won't give away the ending but it had me in tears, very moving and compassionate.

by Anonymousreply 407April 21, 2019 4:48 PM

The Gilmore Girls moment that got me was in the latest season where Lorelei calls her mother and tells her about the moment she treasured with her father. Knowing how cold and distant they could be, this really got to me. I thought Lauren Graham was worthy of an Emmy for that scene alone. Really beautiful work. Kelly Bishop had some great, moving moments throughout the show, too, when her cold exterior would fade and she'd show these moments to beautiful humanity. It gets a bad rep from some for being too twee, but there was a lot to love about that show.

by Anonymousreply 408April 21, 2019 8:15 PM

I didn't cry at the last Lost episode; too busy trying to figure out what the fuck it was about. However, I DID cry buckets when Charlie died. (also think the guy who played Charlie was the best actor on the set).

by Anonymousreply 409April 21, 2019 9:10 PM

The over the top melodrama of SKAM France brings this gayling to tears repeatedly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410April 21, 2019 9:54 PM

the news, daily

by Anonymousreply 411April 21, 2019 9:57 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 412April 29, 2019 10:30 PM

I cried to the monologue of Bonnie confronting her mother's abuse on Big Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 413July 30, 2019 9:00 PM

Hotch's wife getting killed on Criminal Minds.

Andy Williams singing The Battle Hymn of the Republic at RFK's funeral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414July 31, 2019 3:56 AM

The Cold Case baseball episode, "A Time to Hate," is on tomorrow, Thursday, August 1, 2019. Start TV (CBS Digital). 4:00 eastern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415July 31, 2019 9:38 AM

The Cold Case baseball episode, "A Time to Hate," is on tomorrow, Thursday, August 1, 2019. Start TV (CBS Digital). 4:00 eastern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416July 31, 2019 9:38 AM

This scene from the season 3 finale of The Handmaid's Tale made me cry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417August 15, 2019 11:00 PM

No contest. Thread done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418August 15, 2019 11:32 PM

I love Cold Case.

The ending of Six Feet Under was so good that everyone forgets how much the last 2 seasons sucked.

by Anonymousreply 419October 12, 2019 5:10 AM

OP, you owe r1 an apology. That sentence is incomprehensible because you didn;t look it over before you posted--YOU are at fault, not he.

by Anonymousreply 420October 12, 2019 5:50 AM

The Christmas episode of season 2 of Eight is Enough. New mom Betty Buckley is trying hard to make it a good first Christmas since original mom Joan died and no on is having it, least of all Tommy. But Joan was known to buy presents all year ahead of time and hide them and they find one for Tommy with a note and it’s a blubber fest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421October 12, 2019 6:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!