Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GOP TAXScam bill passes. CALL AND PROTEST IN THE STREETS FOR THIS.

This is turning over our money to the KOCH brothers and other wealthy GOP Donors. This guts everything. The GOP Senators have lost their minds. IF they were worried about being primaried, they should pass Campaign Finanace Reform instead?

They did this on WORLD AIDS DAY too. I hate these guys so much. BTW, Senator Lisa Murkowski got what she wanted, drilling oil in the National Arctic Refuge, and natural conservation area. What kind of Psychpath are you, when you want to drill in a natural reserve? And what about Global Warming, which fossil fuels and even drilling cause?

I am so pissed. I hate this.

by Anonymousreply 30612/22/2017

WEll, I guess I should hope for State Encouraged euthanasia, because they just fucked my future.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2017

Get in out the streets and riot Americans. A lot of us in other countries wonder why you don't and haven't already. Black Lives Matter have got the right idea. Now you need to all join up and riot the fuck out of your country until you get it back from the 1% and corporately owned and controlled government...

How much worse are you going to let it get? Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2017

What the fuck can we do? This is bad? Everything will be gutted. Graduate students have to pay taxes on tuition waives, so they will not be able to afford university. They are going to gut medicare, soc ail security and medicaid.

This is the death of DEMOCRACY and many Americans will die because of it.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2017

Didn't the TransCanada pipeline just have a major oil spill?? Great timing.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2017

Not completely done yet. The house and senate have to each come up with bills and they have to reconcile. there will be one more vote

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2017

Fiscal responsibility.

Never ever trust a Republican senator. Never ever vote for them. Who does these days anyway?

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2017

The only hope now is to make sure that every single Democrat is registered to vote and follow it up - make sure they know what ID they need, where the voting takes place and make sure they know to verify if they get a robocall telling them that their voting station has changed. If they've been purged from the voting list, there needs to be some kind of action committee in every single state - maybe made up of lawyers - to get the word out to MSM.

That's going to be a key element ---- there needs to be a nationwide focus on making sure that legitimate voters aren't denied their rights and if they are, that needs some kind of million man march on Washington.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2017

R3, I paid my way through graduate school. So can everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2017

R8 "Graduate school"! LOL! Typical voice of privilege.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2017

Fuck you and your "I got mine" attitude, R9: You are part of the problem, and I hate you. I hope poor people invade your home and steal your Franklin Mint collection.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2017

^

I paid my way through college too. I got up at 4am for three years to sweep floors and empty garbage bins.

4am. Rain and shine.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2017

Oops, I meant R8. Sorry R9.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2017

Fuck all of you Bootstraps I got mine assholes. I hope homeless people camp in your yard.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2017

R8 is likely several thousand years old.

College tuition has gone up by 260% since 1980, while real wages have gone down.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2017

They are fixing to go down again, R14. Insurance rates and taxes are going up for wage slaves. That means their paychecks will be less.

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2017

It's time to start killing the elites.

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2017

How long before this shit kicks in? This is really bad.

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2017

^ Yes! Eat the Rich.

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2017

It's going to get worse. Automation is coming. Many jobs are going away.

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2017

The Rich must be forced to provide free board and lodging to young students

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2017

[quote] The Rich must be forced to provide free board and lodging

Lotsa luck forcing that idea on Barbra Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2017

That Barbara Streisand is the epitome of the Selfish Bitch.

It's always Me, Me, Me with people like that.

(At least that crazy Madonna and that Jolie woman adopted some little black babies from the other side of the world to enter their own world of culture shock and culture-alienation.)

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2017

The Senate bill doesn't tax grad students on their tuition-- that's the House bill. So when they reconcile the two, they better not fucking keep that provision in or they'll be almighty hell to pay.

by Anonymousreply 2312/01/2017

House Republicans are worse. The so-called moderate republicans in the senate voted for this #GOPTaxScam bill. It is a very dangerous bill.

*Raises taxes on the American people to give money to the billionaires, who do not need it obviously. *Guts health care, social and education *Blow a fucking 1.4 trillion dollar deficit hole in the budget *This triggers guts to medicare, social security and medicaid.

Americans are going to die because of the lack of services to protect them or provide care to them. The republicans gutted #CHIP, the children health care program already. Billions of dollars will be pulled from the US Economy and moved to off shore accounts and to rig our elections. This will trigger a larger recession, or worse.

This is the death of Democracy. Net Neutrality comes next, so no more DL or Twitter to get your message out and to organize Politically or Socially. You have to pay more for the internet and the companies control the website you go to. Think of it as Cable.

People think well this will be over in 2020. But, the election will be rigged. The information will be LIES. Access to information, will cost most. Americans will have no money to spend on it. Billionaires can run candidates as Democrats.

DEMOCRACY IS OVER!

PROTEST!!

by Anonymousreply 2412/01/2017

We must ACTION in the STREETS!!

by Anonymousreply 2512/01/2017

If Democrats take the House and even more hopefully, the Senate next year, can't they they propose a new tax plan to negate this crap and put forth their own ideas? They've been pretty much locked out of the writer's room on this latest plan.

by Anonymousreply 2612/01/2017

The thing is everything is so gerrymandered and so many are disenfranchised that it'll be difficult to get a lot of dems in the house and senate. And voting repubs out only to be replaced by another repub does nothing. The next batch will also be bought.

You gotta get rid of the people paying the politicians. And I'm not saying a guillotine would be a good idea, but a guillotine would get rid of he people paying the politicians.

by Anonymousreply 2712/01/2017

You can't the people in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 2812/01/2017

You can't trust the people in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 2912/01/2017

Eventually, there will be a guillotine. History has shown this over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 3012/01/2017

It is too late to do anything now, we are already completely fucked. I have warned people about this looming disaster for weeks and no one seemed bothered.

by Anonymousreply 3112/01/2017

We need another Women's March like this one:

by Anonymousreply 3212/01/2017

I agree, r30. Start sharpening it up.

by Anonymousreply 3312/01/2017
by Anonymousreply 3412/01/2017

BUT YOUR EMAILS!!! YOU FORCED ME TO VOTE STEIN!!

by Anonymousreply 3512/01/2017

I hope someone starts taking out the rich Repug donors. Once that starts happening, the other rich fuckers who want to back Repugs will think twice.

by Anonymousreply 3612/01/2017

[quote]A lot of us in other countries wonder why you don't and haven't already.

I think we've had enough of other countries telling us what to do and meddling in our affairs.

If the deepest political thought you can muster is "Garsh, why haven't you done this one single thing I just thought of?" then your ideas aren't particularly useful to us anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3712/01/2017

time to leave the usa. which country are you all going to? is that internet regulation gonna affect other countries? i'm so sick of this shit!

by Anonymousreply 3812/01/2017

Zimbabwe welcomes American progressives.

by Anonymousreply 3912/01/2017

Go learn Chinese and Russian. Because these two will be THE important languages in the future as the importance of the USA, and so the English language, more and more wanes.

by Anonymousreply 4012/01/2017

What will Susan Sarandon say now? Well, I guess this is good for her.

by Anonymousreply 4112/01/2017

Did they tuck-in an addendum ordering gays to be sent to internment camps?

by Anonymousreply 4212/01/2017

R2 You're right.

R37 you smug exceptionalist I guess we won't be seeing your ass on the line anytime soon,

& we can't wait for the Senate and House to examine each other's crap and decide to stick it to us anyway. The time is now.

by Anonymousreply 4312/01/2017

This bill is immoral. Can the House make it even worse?

by Anonymousreply 4412/01/2017

[quote]you smug exceptionalist I guess we won't be seeing your ass on the line anytime soon

I've done more than you have, you lazy piece of shit. I'm not sitting online all day telling others what to go do, I'm actually doing it. None of us need some holier-than-thou stranger on the internet from some other country making demands on Americans, as though they could possibly understand the country or its politics well enough to give us good advice.

Reactionary "you stupid Americans just need to protest" advice is bullshit. It's just whiny know-it-alls showing off on the internet. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 4512/01/2017

R44, with the House we have a chance of getting some changes or, in the best case scenario, blocking the bill. The House Dems have been much stronger in opposing Trump and the corrupt GOP than the Senate has. Several Senate Dems were on Twitter asking people to RT in agreement as if that would do anything, and that's all they did. Very little yelling -- and the LEAST this bill needed was some yelling on the floor -- and almost no protesting, no walk-out, nothing. Just tweets.

The House is much better at organizing and galvanizing the public beyond "RT if you agree." Because of that it's possible we can help mitigate what's happened. I don't want to say we can prevent it, but that possibility still exists.

Probably the best thing we can do right now is encourage all Dems running in 2018 to talk about this bill 24/7, talk about what it's going to do to citizens who are living paycheck to paycheck. But it's going to take work because, as much as it pains me to say it, we have a lot of lazy Democratic politicians, and the media is not even close to being on the side of the people.

by Anonymousreply 4612/01/2017

BUT MADONNA FELL DOWN THE STAIRS!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4712/01/2017

The House Republicans are more Batshit. Paul Ryan is the Speaker of the House. Paul Ryan is a whore of the Koch Brothers. They want to gut social security, medicare and medicaid. So, no it is worse in the house.

The so-called moderate Republicans are in the Senate. All of them voted for this #GOPTaxScam Bill.

The best hope is to continue to call the Republcans, really all senators to dump this bill. Senator Corker can still vote yes on the tax bill. But all the so called moderate republicans senator can vote it down, sabatoge it. How do we get them to do that?

CALL CALL CALL them in outrage.

Tell them to VOTE NO

KILL THIS BILL

PROTESTS

This is the only hope. Fuck these a-holes, it is Christmas. Imagine, doing this to sick people, sick children, families and all of us for Christmas. HATE THEM!

by Anonymousreply 4812/01/2017

R37 / R45 is triggered. R2 did not "make demands". Nor did R2 call Americans 'stupid'. YOU did that.

You say you've done more than I have and "are actually doing it."

Yes, you're fingering your smugma. You smell exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 4912/01/2017

Taxation Without Representation. We really need to look into this. Allegedly 6000 lobbyists worked on this bill. Media reports indicated that all the handwritten notes in the margins of the final printout given to Senators two hours before the scheduled vote were last minute lobbyist addenda. Dem. Senators called for a delay until Monday to review the bill but Rep. Senate leadership said fuck you. NOT ONE SENATOR had time and opportunity to review the nearly 500 page bill.

It's time to say fuck this shit, not roll over in defeat. We need constitutional law scholars such as Laurence Tribe and Norm Eisen - and more - to review the 'regular order' violations in this secretively written and opaquely presented bill, and we need their feedback to tell us if the Taxation Without Representation charges hold merit in court. If yes to any of this then We the Fucking People SUE over this bill.

And if that's not doable then we roll up our sleeves and just keep pushing back. Grassroots efforts stalled the trumpcare bill. This tax bill was a desperation need for the R Senate. We can take each provision in this bill and tear it apart with lawsuits. If nothing else, we gum up the enactment of the legislation until Dems take back the House and/or Senate. If nothing else, we stymie these R fuckers by slowing down enactment of each provision. Let's make this Trojan Horse bill their nightmare through grassroots judicial challenges.

by Anonymousreply 5012/01/2017

Just stay pulled in to this Tax BIll PRocess. Call your senators/write/Tweet at them/protest still/. Tell them NO WAY, VOTE NO on this #GOPTAxScam Bill

Follow #GOPTaxscam on twiiter. WE all need to shut this bill down. IT is very very dangerous bill.

Sleep now.

Wake up

CALL WRITE TWEET ORGANIZE PROTEST CALL CALL CALL

Stay pulled into this now.

by Anonymousreply 5112/02/2017

[quote]CALL CALL CALL

Calling is useless. No one listens. These Republican don't even listen to their own vote base why do you think they will listen to Democrats?

by Anonymousreply 5212/02/2017

For those who would like to read the GOP Tax Bill for yourselves, you can find it here:

Please read it and tell us pros and cons.

Also tell which claws will benefit you and which will harm you individually

by Anonymousreply 5312/02/2017

I haven't read the bill, but I read in a news article that Susan Collins introduced an amendment that will lower the threshold for the medical expense deduction (where the House bill had eliminated the deduction completely). If that amendment makes it through to the final version, it will be a godsend for me.

by Anonymousreply 5412/02/2017

Yes but that is iffy R54. She got 'guarantees' about health care legislation she favoured getting voted in later as quid pro quo for her Tax Bill vote. I am So disappointed in her... And Lisa Murkowski excitedly sold us out by voting for the drilling rights in the Arctic. Fuck both of them. And McCain. At one point they seemed to have a conscience about impact on citizens but evidently their true colours now emerge.

by Anonymousreply 5512/02/2017

Seriously, r55. And just as it's clear that Trump's presidency is about to hit the iceberg. You'd think one of these motherfuckers would say no, this is not the time for a bill like this, but no. Corrupt as shit, the lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 5612/02/2017

[quote][R37] / [R45] is triggered. [R2] did not "make demands".

I'm reading r2 right now and yeah, he is.

[quote] Nor did [R2] call Americans 'stupid'. YOU did that.

They didn't call Americans stupid, but they were right that r2 is implying Americans aren't smart enough to realize protest works. Except BLM, their example, hasn't worked, and protests in the past were marginally successful; Boomers like to claim protest ended the war, but it was Middle America finally coming around after years of thorough media coverage that did the most.

So it's not wrong or stupid to not protest. There are significant reasons to believe energy is best spent elsewhere.

[quote]Yes, you're fingering your smugma.

If you really want to make a difference, why would you be such a troll about it?

by Anonymousreply 5712/02/2017

'I think we've had enough of other countries telling us what to do and meddling in our affairs.'

Bit fucking rich coming from an American. Then again, the rest of the world says you 'don't do irony'.

BTW, I've been to America, I've liked most Americans I've met, and like many others around the world hope you manage to get rid of that Orange Asshole and all his cronies, but fuckwits like R37 are why America is often viewed with distaste from afar.

by Anonymousreply 5812/02/2017

I agree with r58, we fuck with every country and what we do impacts other countries in a big way.

by Anonymousreply 5912/02/2017

r53, "claws"??

You think like a Republican: "What hurts you individually?" A Democrat, nay, just a decent human being, thinks in terms of "What hurts people?"

by Anonymousreply 6012/02/2017

R37 was pretty obviously talking about Russian meddling. And yes, r2's advice is mostly useless.

If it makes you feel better to derail the thread into some kind of America bashing then go ahead, but you're kind of proving the point that individual anonymous posters aren't helping the situation any.

by Anonymousreply 6112/02/2017

Graduate school? Who needs liberal elite experts? PhDs in genetics, health, biochemistry, engineering, IT, what contribution could those people possibly make? Screw 'em. Failing my high school diploma was good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 6212/02/2017

It's not just that, r62, it's that the dipshit rich kids will be able to afford higher education and be the only ones who can get degrees. We'll be well and truly screwed when the only doctors are Colin and Tiffy Recherche of the Syosset Recherches.

by Anonymousreply 6312/02/2017

I’m fine with this bill.

My investment portfolio will get a boost.

Lower taxes are a good thing, hysterical foreigner cunts.

by Anonymousreply 6412/02/2017

^^^doesnt understand one fucking thing about economics.

by Anonymousreply 6512/02/2017

If you're talking to me R61 it was not my intention to derail the thread. And I don't see it as being at all obvious that R2 was referring to Russian interference - it just read as a 'don't tell us what to do' response from a citizen of the country that has probably meddled more in other people's affairs since the Romans were rampaging around. But I'll take your point and leave you to deal with your own issues. At least until the next time your president hangs up on our prime minister*. Best of luck dealing with the craven Republicans and their tax bill. I'll go see if there's any more gossip on rock stars being jerks. Hope there's some more Sting stories.

* He's an asshole too so I don't really care if your Orange Asshole hangs up on ours.

by Anonymousreply 6612/02/2017

It's over. We lost. There is no coming back from this. People holding hope for some sort of reversal in 2018 or 2020 are deluding themselves. The US is officially a third-world banana republic with an oligarch class ruling a mass of serfs.

Because, you know, her emails.

by Anonymousreply 6712/02/2017

As an over 60 year old who financially is doing pretty good, and has a stock portfolio, and my health, this bill is not on the face as damaging to me as many others BUT it is Just Not Right. I was raised to believe that you work hard, and do well, and then leave enough for others, or even better, spend time helping others, encouraging others, supporting others.

I'm a fucking dinosaur, flame this old fogey.

by Anonymousreply 6812/02/2017

I'm in the same boat, r68. I am worried for people who are barely getting by and for people who need health insurance. Down the road though, I think the economy will tank bigly. Without a healthy middle class we will not have a healthy economy.

I plan to start selling off some stocks in about six months and will sit on a pile of cash.

This is not going to end well and I'm so sorry this orange turd was elected and that Republicans are such fucking selfish crooks.

by Anonymousreply 6912/02/2017

[quote]Susan Collins introduced an amendment that will lower the threshold for the medical expense deduction. If that amendment makes it through to the final version, it will be a godsend for me.

Spoiler alert: It won't. The medical expense deduction will be done away with entirely.

by Anonymousreply 7012/02/2017

Collins basically blew away any good will she has built up over the years. I would love if this backfired on her and eventually cost her in the next election, but she probably has enough time will pass before then. Also, I suspect many of the Republican voters will be blind to this and when they are affected negatively will somehow blame it on Obama.

by Anonymousreply 7112/02/2017

[quote]It's time to start killing the elites.

Start with Elizabeth Warren. She made over $400,000 in one year teaching part-time at Harvard. Why anyone would listen to, let alone vote for this hypocrite, is anybody's guess.

College tuition is so high for two reasons. It is no longer a luxury, it is a necessity. And when you have a necessity, the price goes up. And the second reason is that college's spend so much money on stupid shit like Women's Studies and Black Studies that raise useless anarchs like OP and then they get their ass sued off because of it. Examples inlcude: Duke University, Mizzou, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7212/02/2017

I posted this in another thread from PBS

some are really screwed. guess they are going to get rid of the poor.

by Anonymousreply 7312/02/2017

[quote]I suspect many of the Republican voters will be blind to this and when they are affected negatively will somehow blame it on Obama.

Republicans are assuming that Democrats will be back in the majority when the worst effects of this tax cut hit the middle class -- and middle-class voters, being idiots, will blame the party in charge at the moment. They'll then return Repugs to the majority.

by Anonymousreply 7412/02/2017

Legislation that was ostensibly meant to simplify and optimize the tax code has become, in no particular order, a massive corporate tax cut; a massive tax cut for wealthy people; a tax hike for millions of middle-class Americans; a partial repeal of Obamacare; a ticking time bomb for the social safety net, including previously untouchable programs like Medicare; an all-out assault on graduate school education; and sops to the evangelical right, such as recognizing new legal rights for fetuses. “It Started as a Tax Cut,” reads a headline in The New York Times. “Now It Could Change American Life.”

by Anonymousreply 7512/02/2017

It should be painfully obvious at this point that facts don't matter and logic is completely irrelevant. The Rethugs don't care. They have no principles, they have no morals, and they have no shame. Yes they are hypocrites. They screeched at Obama over anything that he wanted to do because it would raise the deficit. Now, a trillion dollar addition to the deficit matters not at all. They are liars. It has been proven over and over again that tax cuts to the wealthy and the corporations do NOT stimulate the economy; there is no "trickle-down" effect. Doesn't matter. Rest assured, they are going to keep repeating that falsehood over and over again no matter what. And yes, they will next turn their sights on "entitlement programs" to start slashing benefits in an effort to reduce the deficit.

This is the scam, and we've been had. It is nothing short of criminal theft with a veneer of legitimacy thrown over it by a bunch of craven pricks who were nominally elected to represent the best interests of their constituents and the country. However, they are too addicted to power and the influence it brings with it to care about anything other than the money their wealthy donors will give them.

Despicable.

by Anonymousreply 7612/02/2017

The real problem will be when the Repubs re-focus on the deficit (which they just blew up) and go after medicare and social security. It's coming brothers and sisters...

by Anonymousreply 7712/02/2017

So is that the plan? Transfer all the vagina hate from Clinton to Warren?

We are so fucked.

by Anonymousreply 7812/02/2017

[quote] So is that the plan? Transfer all the vagina hate from Clinton to Warren?

It has nothing to do with vagina hate. Those women were in it for themselves disguised in the costume of "We care for all people." I call out men who do the same shit.

by Anonymousreply 7912/02/2017

[quote]Those women were in it for themselves disguised in the costume of "We care for all people."

All politicians are in it for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 8012/02/2017

r72, I think college tuition started going up when loans began replacing grant money. Grant money was a limited amount and if that money didn't cover tuition then students would go else where. When student loans replaced grant money people could borrow more and that meant universities could raise their tuitions.

I suspect Reagan was behind the reduction in grant money.

by Anonymousreply 8112/02/2017

A Ted Cruz amendment to expand the use of 529 education savings accounts got stuck at a 50–50 vote early this morning. It was held open until Vice President Mike Pence arrived to break the tie in the amendment’s favor. The wealthy and upper-middle class can now more easily use tax-preferenced vehicles for sending their children to private K-12 schools.

Chris Hayes:

The 529 is designed so that the more money you make, the greater the subsidy. Ted Cruz’s family gets a bigger savings from the gov’t than a firefighter or a nurse or a Marine.

by Anonymousreply 8212/02/2017

Taxing the tuition of PhD students would completely cripple the American research apparatus. It is not in the Senate version though, they werent that stupid.

The Republicans are counting on people being happy about their taxes going down, but this will explode the deficit and cripple the federal budget. Then they will use it as an excuse to go after social security/medicare/medicaid.

by Anonymousreply 8312/02/2017

Yes, how dare Warren take a high paying job. That is immoral.

And how dare she think as a wealthy person she SHOULD pay more in taxes than the poor. She is betraying her class.

by Anonymousreply 8412/02/2017

EXACLTY R14. I paid my way through school too, thirty goddamn years ago. RECOGNIZE that tuition and the living expenses associated with "putting yourself through school" are ridiculously high and getting up at 4 am to do a shitty minimum wage job ain't gonna by you a fucking textbook these days. The fuck do you want to rely on an uneducated society to make America great again? Fuck off cunt at R8

by Anonymousreply 8512/02/2017

"It is a period of civil war."

by Anonymousreply 8612/02/2017

Jeff flake only voted because he received a commitment from Republican leadership and the White House that they would pursue a permanent solution for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) illegal immigrants .

Or at least thats what he is saying

by Anonymousreply 8712/02/2017

His tweet

by Anonymousreply 8812/02/2017

They need to keep DACA separate from this.

by Anonymousreply 8912/02/2017

Lisa Desjardins @LisaDNews

WHAT DID FLAKE GET ON DACA?: WH aide Marc Short tells me he will be part of the conversation. ("Happy to include him".)

Me: Does that mean any agreement on timing (this year or no), substance?

Short: No, it is to include him in our talks.

by Anonymousreply 9012/02/2017

R89. Democrats and some Republicans have already said that they would not allow spending bill to pass until permanent protection for DACA

by Anonymousreply 9112/02/2017

r91, I'm surprised any republican would care. Must be republicans in the SW?

by Anonymousreply 9212/02/2017

They care . They need cheap labors for chamber of commerce

by Anonymousreply 9312/02/2017

Flake is a coward. So is Collins. Fuck them both. I hope they have nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 9412/02/2017

Hawaii Senator Brian Schantz:

For those of you who were concerned about storing and staffing private jets, Alaska cruise ships, and private colleges ineligible for federal funding because of discrimination - DON’T WORRY. They are all taken care of in this bill.

Also in this bill hedge fund managers are A OK, and the estate tax threshold is higher. But there was no room for a child tax credit because of the deficit.

by Anonymousreply 9512/02/2017

I looked at that PBS table related to the tax. According to the table, I'll be bringing home roughly an extra 800$ a year. Over the course of the year, that's not a lot, but it will help cover gas and groceries.

by Anonymousreply 9612/02/2017

It really is like they decided to stop any pretense with this bill, blatantly including things that only benefited the rich (private jets - golf courses) while cutting things such as deductions for teachers. Many also openly admitted that they needed to have this pass because of pressures they were getting from their donors.

by Anonymousreply 9712/02/2017

For how long, R96? Keep in mind that the changes to the individual code are mostly temporary; the other structural changes are mostly permanent. This will do nothing but drive up the debt and guess where the Republicans will go next?

by Anonymousreply 9812/02/2017

[quote] If Democrats take the House and even more hopefully, the Senate next year

There is no way Democrats will take the senate. In fact, they might lose some senate elections and the number of Rs in the senate will rise.

The House can do whatever they like but the GOP senate will vote everything down.

by Anonymousreply 9912/02/2017

It would take large scale rioting in the streets to enact any real change. You could take away everything folks have, push grandma out of the nursing home to die, and that wouldn't happen here. We're just too weak and lazy for a revolution.

by Anonymousreply 10012/02/2017

. There will be a small tax cut for the sheeple and that will make them happy. A huge pay day for the rich of course. Then in a few years the deficit will be the number 1 issue again. Repubs will then destroy Social Security and Medicare (their wet dream for decades.)

For some reason, American morons keep feeling for this shit.

by Anonymousreply 10112/02/2017

R96, you’re more likely to be turning that extra $ over to health insurance companies. Or maybe your state will have to raise taxes to compensate for fewer federal $. Or maybe some private entity will get a fat contract for what was an essential service but has had to be outsourced. You pay now or you pay later. We will be paying later for this bill.

by Anonymousreply 10212/02/2017

....falling not feeling...of course.

I worry that the media focus on sexual harassment has turned the tax bill into a non event. The most significant events get ignored while all the energy goes to stuff that titillates people and boosts ratings.

by Anonymousreply 10312/02/2017

[quote] I'll be bringing home roughly an extra 800$ a year. Over the course of the year, that's not a lot, but it will help cover gas and groceries.

LOL you're gonna lose that $800 in higher State and local taxes that will need to be paid after the Koch Mercer tax bill goes through. And since government services will be slashed, you'll be paying the private $ector for those services and the private $ector always charges more.

by Anonymousreply 10412/02/2017

It's just such awful long term planning for rich people. In five years when 75% of the country is in poverty who exactly is going to have any money to buy anything made by the company's rich people own?

by Anonymousreply 10512/02/2017

That's what is so ridiculous about this tax bill, R105. If companies were hurting for investment capital, if they didn't have any cash to retool, expand, etc., then doing something on the supply side might make sense. But we aren't in that situation and we haven't been in that situation for decades. Companies are sitting on hundreds of billions in cash and there is so much investment capital floating around that we're constantly seeing bubbles in various areas.

If you want to grow the economy, do it on the demand side: give the money to the people who will immediately go out and spend it.

by Anonymousreply 10612/02/2017

I think everyone should stop paying health insurance premiums. Everybody drop coverage and go to hospitals in ritzy areas and use their ERs. Ritzy area hospitals will be forced to close and the 1% will be forced to use public hospitals. That's when you'll see change in health insurance.

There should be a movement - Drop Health Insurance - and a specific date planned for a few months into the future as the day everyone drops their insurance. No insurance payments after that date.

by Anonymousreply 10712/02/2017

I used the calculator to see how I'd do under the new tax bill. I'm actually shocked. Someone making around 70K will get an $800 reduction the first year but In 10 years that will drop to $300 a year. I make 200K and will get a $2K reduction that will be reduced to about 1K in 10 years. As I live in NY state my taxes will in fact go up due to my loss in deductions. Anyone making 50K or so is absolutely screwed. No tax reduction at all.

The real benefits kick in when you make 5 million or more. Those people will get 6 figure tax decreases that continue for 10 years. I'm actually shocked the Republicans did this. It's like they don't give a fuck anymore. Let's just give the elite their money and stop pretending we care about anything else.

by Anonymousreply 10812/02/2017

[quote]In five years when 75% of the country is in poverty who exactly is going to have any money to buy anything made by the company's rich people own?

Now that American companies are mostly global, they don't care about selling to their native country. China and India are much bigger and more lucrative markets.

by Anonymousreply 10912/02/2017

We Americans are too ignorant to understand this tax bill or care how it affects us. We are more concerned with keeping up with the Kartrashians. How do you think Trump won?

by Anonymousreply 11012/02/2017

Economics is not black and white. Some cities/states are passing mandatory laws of $15 minimum wage. Organizations that employ low skilled employees will cut down on employees. When a machine can do the job, like at McDonalds, why employ a person? Perhaps with these tax cuts, decision makers will choose to keep the low skilled employees rather than introducing machines.

by Anonymousreply 11112/02/2017

One boon of migrants from poor countries is that they will block any attempts at revolution...

by Anonymousreply 11212/02/2017

Senators and representatives answer only to their $$$$$$$$$$$$$ donors.

by Anonymousreply 11312/02/2017

I know, it's fucking ridiculous how expensive the textbooks are!

we need hackers to hack them and get their nudes or expose their misdeeds, to get them out of office.

This country is over! Drilling in that beautiful nature! i'm so pissed.

by Anonymousreply 11412/02/2017

there are protests in nyc right now, outside midtown where he is having breakfast meeting. Cipriani.

by Anonymousreply 11512/02/2017

Americans don't need a tax cut, our tax burden is not that high as it is.

The only thing this accomplishes is gives peanuts to the masses to keep them happy while giving massive benefits to corporations and the rich.

[quote]. There will be a small tax cut for the sheeple and that will make them happy. A huge pay day for the rich of course. Then in a few years the deficit will be the number 1 issue again. Repubs will then destroy Social Security and Medicare (their wet dream for decades.)

+1. As some other posters have pointed out, this will run up to the deficit which will give the GOP an opening to gut their safety net. That is their plan. And if Dems retake power, they will have to the party who raised taxes.

by Anonymousreply 11612/02/2017

[quote]And if Dems retake power, they will have to the party who raised taxes.

So nothing changes?

by Anonymousreply 11712/02/2017

At one point in my life, I would've had some sympathy for the Trumpers ("They don't know any better", "They're caught up in ideology not facts", etc) but not any more. Reading reactions on social media this morning from his supporters was mind-numbing -- "Liberal tears", "Trump, winning again!" and so on. Although everyone else will get screwed as well, I'm waiting for these people's health insurance to skyrocket (as almost every non-partisan assessment of the budget has said will happen) and/or lose their coverage. Let the companies and corporations they work for use every new amendment and loophole to screw them over. Of course, they'll likely forget which party put them into the mess.

by Anonymousreply 11812/02/2017

[quote] Organizations that employ low skilled employees will cut down on employees. When a machine can do the job, like at McDonalds, why employ a person

Wtf does a $15 minimum wage have to do with automation? Do you think if the minimum wage was $7 and automation existed to do the job of the $7/hr worker that the company would keep the worker and not automate because they're only paying the worker $7?

We really need to rise up against retards like this poster who believes a higher minimum wage leads to automation.

Automation leads to automation no matter what workers get paid.

And BTW, when we rise up we'll be met by Eric Prince's security forces, paid for by Kochs, Mercedes, Adelsons, Thiels. The houses of the 1% will be fortresses with guards, drones, electronic pressure sensitive alarms on the grounds, etc. so we'd better bring AK 47s and not pitchforks.

by Anonymousreply 11912/02/2017

[quote] so we'd better bring AK 47s and not pitchforks.

Good luck with that, numbnuts. Democrats are trying to get all guns banned.

We really need to rise up against retards like this poster who believes anyone in government gives a shit about his life.

by Anonymousreply 12012/02/2017

Not this old bullshit again. Sorry, R120, but no matter how you try to spin this, you cannot find any Democratic legislation that is "trying to get all guns banned."

by Anonymousreply 12112/02/2017

if any of them died, i would not shed a tear.

by Anonymousreply 12212/02/2017

Americans should protest by not paying their taxes on April 15.

by Anonymousreply 12312/02/2017

R96, how much is your health insurance going to go up? I would guess it will suck up that "break" you are receiving at the beginning.

Like to drive on roads? Where will the $ come from to pay to fix them?

by Anonymousreply 12412/02/2017

Of course they care about immigrants: someone has to staff their businesses.

by Anonymousreply 12512/02/2017

America's collapse is complete.

by Anonymousreply 12612/02/2017

[quote]Start with Elizabeth Warren. She made over $400,000 in one year teaching part-time at Harvard. Why anyone would listen to, let alone vote for this hypocrite, is anybody's guess.

I don't get it. That was the salary she was offered. What was she supposed to do? Say no, I want less?

She can fight the banks even with one high paying year in her life.

Sanders made one million dollars last year. Do you every call him a hypocrite? Something tells me that you don't.

by Anonymousreply 12712/02/2017

Sorry people, but the time to riot in the streets was BEFORE the tax cut for the wealthy bill was passed. Now it's rather a moot point. Once the House and Senate bills are reconciled, it's over. Vote out the Repigs. Get rid of Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell. Impeach Trump.

Regarding this grifter tax plans that cuts taxes for the wealthy, it's the cuts to Medicare and how it will affect millions and millions of Americans including middle class senior citizens--you and your parents This tax bill also guts Obamacare denying health care to millions. The Repigs don't care. They are fucking heartless, soulless monsters.

by Anonymousreply 12812/02/2017

Americans get irony, at least on the east coast.

by Anonymousreply 12912/02/2017

R116 Obama raised taxes and not by much. Dems are the party of fiscal responsibility. They get the fact you get what you pay for. Taxing the wealthy is not an unpopular stance. We can do it again.

by Anonymousreply 13012/02/2017

[quote] Bit fucking rich coming from an American. Then again, the rest of the world says you 'don't do irony'. ... fuckwits like [R37] are why America is often viewed with distaste from afar.

You're talking about two different things, R58. Yes, the U.S. interferes politically and militarily in countries where it has no fucking reason to except greed -- I agree with that, and if you knew anything about U.S. politics you'd realize most anti-Trump people feel that way. It's the Trumpsters who want to invade and screw over other countries. We want to stop them.

You're conflating that with my talking about the Russian meddling, often from Russians who don't understand U.S. politics any more than some rando anonymous people on DL who think a huge protest or two will solve all our problems.

I seriously doubt people like me are why America is hated. People like me are trying to make America a decent country instead of letting it get taken over by absolute scumbags.

We just also know for a fact that people like you and R2 and R59 are useless internet warrior trolls who are taking out your petulance on random Americans online. You're distractions and unimportant. If you think my knowing that makes me a fuckwit, then so be it.

by Anonymousreply 13112/02/2017

Absolutely, R74. And they also know that if a Democrat tries to introduce legislation to take down this entire bill, they have a ready-made "Democrats are raising your taxes again" lie to run with -- that's why they've pushed the "this lowers your taxes" lie so hard, not just to pass it now but to have that excuse right there in the future if they need it.

This still has a House vote and then maybe even another Senate vote. The time to call your Reps and Senators is NOW. Keep hounding them with letters and calls. Look for local protest groups, too.

by Anonymousreply 13212/02/2017

I see friends on FB freaking out about this tax cut bill, but none of them are actually saying why it is so bad. So I ask, how will this bill adversely affect me? How will it change by daily life (for the worse)?

by Anonymousreply 13312/02/2017

Flame me but I figured since the bill is inevitable, I emailed my Senator(Roy Blunt. YUCK) and basically selfishly asked him to endorse the House plan as that keeps my income level at 12percent rather than 22 per cent of Senate plan. I had to adopt a selfish stance in this instance as the greater issues at hand seem too far gone.

by Anonymousreply 13412/02/2017

None of them linked to any of the many articles written about this bill, R133? I find that hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 13512/02/2017

This isn't over yet and it does have to go back to the house. So yes, get out there and raise hell, absolutely. Sit in at Congressional offices and raise pure hell. No one knows the impact of this written on the fly, no hearings no CBO scoring, it's terrible. We need to go to the mattresses.

by Anonymousreply 13612/02/2017

R135, I read an article on CNN, but nothing seemed that bad about the bill. From the chart someone posted in this thread, my taxes will go down. I guess I’m not seeing the connect to all the outrage.

by Anonymousreply 13712/02/2017

r133:

What state do you live in? Do you own a home? What is your tax bracket? Do you currently deduct state and local taxes Do you own a small business? Do you offer stock options for you business. Do you work in Education? Do you have children?

All this is going to be effected. The tax cut for individuals will expire the ones for corporations won't . We went for being a democracy to a country where corporations wil run everything.

by Anonymousreply 13812/02/2017

Just when I get my student loans out of default and my credit in better standing.

by Anonymousreply 13912/02/2017

The tax bill will also most likely drive up the deficit and there is talk of having trigger points where once it reaches a certain point, the middle class and lower class taxes will go up, but not the corporations. They are also trying to set up a mechanism to work on dismantling social security and medicate at that point rather than raise the corporate taxes.

But yes -- deductions for private jets, golf courses, one college that DeVos has a personal interest, and cutting deductions for teachers, child-care, seniors, and property which hits the middle class harder.

by Anonymousreply 14012/02/2017

Deplorables on here, is this the Trump you voted for. This is the drain the swamp guy? This guy said he was for the middle class. He is a billionaire just working for his billionaire buddies.

FUCK THAT. This guy is full of shit. You should be outraged.

by Anonymousreply 14112/02/2017

[Bold] Nothing will happen. Americans are the laziest cunts on the planet. They will stay hypnotized to their cells. Nothing will change. Doomed.

by Anonymousreply 14212/02/2017

I'll say it again: you pay now or you pay later. We will pay for this tax bill. You may realize a return in the first year but wait until the 2nd or the 3rd or even 10 years later. Wait until you need social security and it's gone because they need to finally pay for this bill.

by Anonymousreply 14312/02/2017

Yes, you must pull yourself up by your bootstraps....Except if you inherit lots of money tax-free.

by Anonymousreply 14412/02/2017

Having read your response R131 I see that you are more thoughtful than the 'ugly American' I took you for. And I made the wrong assumption that your comment was a blanket 'mind your own business foreigners' rather than aimed specifically at Russians and their interference. So my apologies for misreading you. Having said that, you have no idea what area I work in or what I do so your labeling me and others as 'useless internet warrior trolls' is as big an assumption as the one I made about you so perhaps we should both try to avoid jumping to conclusions. Anyway, back to the asshole rockstars.

by Anonymousreply 14512/02/2017

R138, I live in NY(C). I rent an apartment and make 120,000. I get the full amount taken out of each paycheck. I don’t own a small business or work in education. I do not have children.

by Anonymousreply 14612/02/2017

Do you claim deductions, R146?

by Anonymousreply 14712/02/2017

I'll repeat it, Americans don't need a tax cut r137.

This bill is not good for the fiscal health of our nation, as has been repeated many times it will run up the deficit thus forcing major cuts to programs Americans care about. And it repeals the mandate for healthcare which will also will cripple obamacare.

by Anonymousreply 14812/02/2017

R146, I do not claim any specific deductions.

by Anonymousreply 14912/02/2017

R133, yes, initially you’ll get a tax break, but look at your “savings” come 2027. Over the next 10 years, you’ll basically be giving all of that money right back (assuming you remain in the same tax bracket).

by Anonymousreply 15012/02/2017

Ok, so it sounds like I’ll gain a little in the short term and then have to pay it back in a decade or so. Ok, fine. Doesn’t seem that bad. This goes back to my original question then, if this bill is really no big deal, then what are some people freaking out about?

by Anonymousreply 15112/02/2017

What if we just don’t pay our taxes?

by Anonymousreply 15212/02/2017

OMG

Yesterday I said "Eat The Rich" and 120 posts have appeared overnight.

by Anonymousreply 15312/02/2017

Because it will cause a recession like the last big giveaway to the rich.

Because it will blow a whole in the federal budget that Republicans plan to use as an excuse to eliminate Social Security, Medicare, and every other aid to the poor and sick.

Because the Republicans who passed this lied about it being a significant tax cut to the middle class when it is really a giveaway to the rich.

Because the Republicans who passed it lied that it will create jobs. It will not.

What exactly do you need?

by Anonymousreply 15412/02/2017

[quote] What if we just don’t pay our taxes?

YEAH!

by Anonymousreply 15512/02/2017

on ny1 they are reporting that Jared pressed flynn to contact russia and other countries to delay some UN vote regarding Israel settlements. I wonder if Jared's jewish friends will help him get off. you know they have very creative ways. they probably have blackmail material on every single person in the US govt.

by Anonymousreply 15612/02/2017

there are no fucking jobs, robots are taking over and everything is going off shore. fucking liars.

by Anonymousreply 15712/02/2017

What exactly do I need, R154? Something that will affect me to make me care about this.

by Anonymousreply 15812/02/2017

Well aren't you a sack of shit, R158!

by Anonymousreply 15912/02/2017

I can't believe how republicans can tell blatant lies to the American people. About the tax bill. They must really think everyone in the country is stupid.

Deplorables have a lot to answer for.

by Anonymousreply 16012/02/2017

"Something that will affect me to make me care about this."

Do you have a parent living? Do you plan to retire some day? Do you ever expect to get sick some day?

And do you give a shit about anyone but yourself, you enormous piece of crap?

by Anonymousreply 16112/02/2017

[Quote] They must really think everyone in the country is stupid.

[Bold] That's because WE ARE!!!!!! DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16212/02/2017

They think they're smart by having the tax cuts expire a year or two down the road after midterms.

by Anonymousreply 16312/02/2017

Hey young people. Because of this #GOPTaxScam bill, there will be not health care, social or education programs for you. Also, social security, medicare and medicaid will be gone.

YOU WILL BE SCREWED. GET IT!

GO TO A PROTEST NOW! Especially, at a Congressional Office.

WE HAVE TO KILL THIS BILL IN RECONCILIATION PROCESS.

by Anonymousreply 16412/02/2017

[Quote] Hey young people.

They're hypnotized by their cell phones. Don't bother them.

by Anonymousreply 16512/02/2017

I do have parents living. They were smart and saved up quite a bit of money to retire on. They're not on Medicare/Medicaid. My dad gets decent money from a pension too.

At 35 years old, I never expected social security to last long enough for me to use it another 30 years from now. If it's not going to hold up let's just get rid of it and find another solution.

I think it's disingenuous for gay people on a gay site to be overreacting to this bill when it probably won't affect any of us (except to give us a short-term tax relief). We should be focused on the Russia investigation and more importantly making sure Pence and his ilk don't take away any of our rights. THAT is what will affect us here.

by Anonymousreply 16612/02/2017

The truth is that the GOP does not care about anyone who works for a living. They really don't care if we live or die and if you are black, brown, gay, non-Christian, female, old, poor or can think for yourself they would prefer that you die. In order for issues like gun control, pro-choice, fair elections, affordable healthcare and keeping churches in their place to be settled satisfactorily for the majority of Americans there's going to have to be bloodshed.

by Anonymousreply 16712/02/2017

Gay people might have parents who'll need Medicaid. Eldgergays might need it themselves. How fucking oblivious ARE you??

by Anonymousreply 16812/02/2017

"They think they're smart by having the tax cuts expire a year or two down the road after midterms."

Not all the cuts. Just the ones to the Middle and Lower classes are temporary. The cuts to the 1% are permanent.

by Anonymousreply 16912/02/2017

"I do have parents living. They were smart and saved up quite a bit of money to retire on. They're not on Medicare/Medicaid. My dad gets decent money from a pension too."

Oh, THAT's what my parents did wrong. Instead of being "smart" they worked their asses off until they were 65. They should have been smart like your parents.

"At 35 years old, I never expected social security to last long enough for me to use it another 30 years from now. If it's not going to hold up let's just get rid of it and find another solution."

Yes, let's run down to the solution store and find another solution. There must be dozens.

"I think it's disingenuous for gay people on a gay site to be overreacting to this bill when it probably won't affect any of us (except to give us a short-term tax relief). We should be focused on the Russia investigation and more importantly making sure Pence and his ilk don't take away any of our rights. THAT is what will affect us here."

And I think you are a giant sack of crap and that you are under-reacting because you think this won't effect you, when it surely will.

by Anonymousreply 17012/02/2017

There will not be health care programs for the American people. They are gutting them. You will be priced out. How do you think there are billionaires in the US anyway? IT is because the do not pay taxes. They go after health care, social, education, science programs that used to be funded by pooled tax money. Now, they are going after our pooled money in social security, medicare and medicaid.

WAKE UP! There will be nothing funded by the American people anymore. The Koch, Buffets, Gates of the world will become richer. THEY ALREADY should be paying more in taxes. BUT, no they are going after the money in all the remain programs, the bedrock programs of our DEMOCRACY.

THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS BILL!

PROTEST AT YOUR SENATORS OFFICE NOW!

by Anonymousreply 17112/02/2017

So, R166, all gay people are rich. Damn, I never got the message. I've missed out on being rich my entire life.

Really R166 this world would be so much better without you and probably your parents since you probably are the piece of shit you are because of them.

by Anonymousreply 17212/02/2017

R166 a catastrophic illness for either of your parents could easily wipe out savings. I have seen it happen to many couples or single elderly people who had a big nest egg (whether a stock & bond portfolio or not.) The costs of acute medical care, a long hospital stay (especially if in ICU/CCU) followed by recuperative care or nursing home care (possibly long term) can destroy that 'retirement savings.'

That's now, with the provisional level of coverage from Medicare but if they also have supplemental insurance to cover what Medicare doesn't (which they majority of seniors have) THOSE premiums will skyrocket, and perhaps cover less. Out of pocket fees and medical bills could be very daunting.

You could get hit by a vehicle or suffer a catastrophic illness that leaves you temporarily or permanently unable to work. You might need and qualify for the benefits provided by Medicaid, SSI or other safety net programs to help you survive that calamity in life circumstances. No one knows in advance if that stuff is about to happen or happen in 10 years.

You are either young or naive if you think this tax bill is of no concern and all that is relevant is the Mueller investigation. One can be equally focused on two critically important issues that are and will impact all of us for decades to come.

by Anonymousreply 17312/02/2017

[quote] democrats are trying to get all guns banned

This

Never

Happened

(Seriously)

by Anonymousreply 17412/02/2017

Go to the streets before such bills pass, not after the Congress and Senate have voted.

by Anonymousreply 17512/02/2017

Social Security will be gone, Medicaid will be gone, Medicare will be gone? We've been told for years it was already going. Deficit exploding? We've been watching it increase for years anyway. State and local taxes going up? We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Rich getting richer? Don't care - the rich always find a way to protect themselves. In ten years I'll be screwed? Who expects the tax code to be the same in ten years? Pay now or pay later? Personally, I'm so in debt, the future is already a financial black hole.

On the flip side, so many people are furious about this bill, maybe that will light a fire to get Democrats and moderate Republicans to start thinking and proposing some new, creative ideas. I look forward to reading them.

by Anonymousreply 17612/02/2017

CALL ALL YOUR HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NOW! Tweet/e-mail too

Say: I want Representative (the name of your house of representative person),

to Vote NO on the Tax Cut and Job Bill, in any form. It will hurt the American people and blow a hole in the deficit. VOTE NO on the Tax Cut and JOB BILL in any form.

Call now/email now

Call Monday

TWEET

PROTEST AT THEIR OFFICES

Stay Pulled in. This is happening right now.

CALL CALL CALL

by Anonymousreply 17712/02/2017

R175 this is from a poster on another thread with legislative experience. It is not too late:

Despite its progress, the margin on this bill is thin. Republicans are voting for it because they haven't gotten much pushback. (With everything else going on). They want to rush this out before recess.

All of us (but especially those who live in Red and Purple States) need to cal and tweet your HOUSE Members and firmly yell them The Truth. Some variation of:

"You are going to explode the deficit, and take away the ability to deduct my state taxes, just so you can give a trillion dollars to millionaire donors and corporations. If you do this I will never, ever vote for you."

Do it soon.

—Former staffer

by Anonymousreply 17812/02/2017

[quote] You could get hit by a vehicle or suffer a catastrophic illness that leaves you temporarily or permanently unable to work.

Exactly. In the past year I've known 2 healthy people who developed multiple pulmonary emboli after a plane trip. Experienced travelers, they were both shocked that it happened to them. Now, the more you travel the higher your chances of developing one but many people are predisposed to clots and could develop one after traveling by air once or twice.

What happens when you clutch your chest in overwhelming pain? You have to stop and think -- how much is my deductible? Maybe it's just gas. Maybe I should wait until my doctor is in his/her office; it will cost less than an ER visit. It'll pass if I wait.

Finally you say fuck it and go to the ER and get a $40, 000 bill.

by Anonymousreply 17912/02/2017

Believe it or not, my GOP congressman, who I cannot stand, is voting against the bill. He voted against it when it passed congress. People paid attention and went, "Whoa there, feller! Doing away with all middle income deductions? Don't think so!"

I went to his twitter account and tweeted "Can't wait to vote against you in 2018! Wish the election was today." Got a call from his office. "But he voted against the tax cut."

Me: Sorry, all republicans must pay for this anti American DISGRACE. Tell your boy to switch parties and I'll vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 18012/02/2017

[quote]We should be focused on the Russia investigation and more importantly making sure Pence and his ilk don't take away any of our rights.

No. Democrats need to stop focussing on the top of the tree and get down to the grassroots. Elect good quality progressives onto school boards so that quality education (with a strong emphasis on critical thinking) can prevent the next generation from being a bunch of easily led idiots.

There won't be any protests about this because people are wise enough to understand what's going on, because critical thinking skills are basically non existent.

by Anonymousreply 18112/02/2017

R181 Well said, thank you. We need to focus on precisely that - teaching critical thinking in education from the earliest age. We need people in office at the local level on up who champion that. We need to champion school funding for a variety of subjects and programs that enhance and reinforce critical thinking.

by Anonymousreply 18212/02/2017

[quote] R64: Lower taxes are a good thing, hysterical foreigner cunts.

Dubya reduced taxes and then, when the Great Recessian hit, we were too far in debt to better spend our way out of it.

The US economy is doing well now. If we changed taxes at all now, we should be raising them. Especially on the rich. Then, when the next downturn hits, we could reduce taxes then.

So, I disagree that lower taxes is good. The rich haven’t been carrying their weight.

by Anonymousreply 18312/02/2017

NYT total listing of all votes on the tax scam bill & amendments linked below. Time to call all repubs but really put the screws to R-Nev Dean Heller. He's up for '18 re-election and he's the most vulnerable in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 18412/02/2017

[quote] R137: I read an article on CNN, but nothing seemed that bad about the bill. From the chart someone posted in this thread, my taxes will go down. I guess I’m not seeing the connect to all the outrage.

I think some or all the outrage is from the disproportionate benefit to the very rich. You benefit in the short term a small amount, while the rich benefit by many, many times as much.

The middle/lower class benefits all sunset.

The elimination of the estate tax on estates over $5 million is symbolic of the tax bill in general. This helps only the very rich.

This bill raises the deficit.

The tax cut is being executed when the economy is doing well, and it should be executed, if ever, when we’re in recession. When we are in recession, we will be unable to get ourselves out, because we will be out of remedies, such as a tax cut.

People fear that when the deficit increases, as a result, the Republicans will say we must cut Medicaid and Medicare and other vital programs to reduce the deficit.

Trump and top Republicans are lying about the above, and that’s a bad sign.

by Anonymousreply 18512/02/2017

I wish the Dems would pledge now, for when next in power, to double the inheritance tax, and double the other tax cuts on the rich, unless the Congress passes a bipartisan tax bill.

by Anonymousreply 18612/02/2017

[quote] R158: What exactly do I need, [R154]? Something that will affect me to make me care about this.

Maybe you might consider that it hurts people with lower income, as a humanitarian matter.

Or, maybe, you might care about the country in general.

by Anonymousreply 18712/02/2017

R166, at the age of 35 you should have a little bit of life wisdom in you. You seem to be taking things for granted, which is usually the attitude of people much younger than you.

As far as not caring about anyone else but yourself, that's your upbringing. You seem to have no ability to recognize, or be concerned by, the needs of the society at large, or even your neighbors or colleagues at work, maybe even your relatives.

You will learn, though. Life will humble you sooner or later.

(Ignore this if you are a troll, though.)

by Anonymousreply 18812/02/2017

Calculate your tax cut.

by Anonymousreply 18912/02/2017

[quote] R166: At 35 years old, I never expected social security to last long enough for me to use it another 30 years from now. If it's not going to hold up let's just get rid of it and find another solution.

I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t expect SS to be there when you retire. Only if the majority surrenders to this claptrap, will it come true. As for “another solution”, there is nothing stopping you from proposing such a solution now, except that anything you come up with is probably not as good as SS.

Incidentally, SS is already protecting you now. If you are orphaned as a minor, you get SS benefits. If you are disabled, you get SS benefits. It’s not just for retirement.

by Anonymousreply 19012/02/2017

I'm a freelance musician. I make $40,000 per annum

this is what I get out of the fucking bill.

by Anonymousreply 19112/02/2017

EVERYONE HERE

Send an Email to your US Representative NOW.

It is Fast

GO here for information. (click the picture).

by Anonymousreply 19212/02/2017

R189, according to that I'd save $129

Big fucking deal

by Anonymousreply 19312/02/2017

r192 SENT

by Anonymousreply 19412/02/2017

^^ I wish this deranged loon would go out, get drunk & get laid.

by Anonymousreply 19512/02/2017

You could buy three or four Agnes Martin or Joan Mitchell paintings for that. A MUCH better deal if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 19612/02/2017

I don't know about y'all, but I'm looking forward to my tax cut!

by Anonymousreply 19712/02/2017

WRONG THREAD ^^^

by Anonymousreply 19812/02/2017

trump was at a fundraiser today in midtown and there were protests, on ny1, they interviewed a protester as well as a fan of trump who was obviously attending the event, he praised trump doing a great job and said sky's the limit! omg, i couldn't believe it. he was old and white of course.

by Anonymousreply 19912/02/2017

[quote]I do have parents living. They were smart and saved up quite a bit of money to retire on. They're not on Medicare/Medicaid.

Bullshit. If your parents are retired, they're on Medicare. If they're not retired yet, they will be on Medicare when they do.

[quote]At 35 years old, I never expected social security to last long enough for me to use it another 30 years from now. If it's not going to hold up let's just get rid of it and find another solution.

Social Security will hold up just fine if Republicans don't pass idiotic tax bills like this. There is nothing wrong with Social Security that cannot be fixed with a simple change.

[quote]I think it's disingenuous for gay people on a gay site to be overreacting to this bill

It's not "disingenuous." This bill is a legitimate fucking disaster: social engineering, massive tax cuts for the wealthy, a couple hundred billion dollars added to the deficit every fucking year, and all of this when the economy is doing pretty well and we should be reducing the deficit. What do you think will happen when the economy goes south, as it inevitably will? What do you think will happen to the deficit when we go into a recession?

This bill is a crippling bill, one that will ultimately raise taxes on most Americans, that will damage the U.S. economy for years to come if it passes, and that Republicans will use as an excuse to get rid of Medicaid, Social Security, and Medicare, three programs that work.

by Anonymousreply 20012/02/2017

[quote]Calculate your tax cut.

It raises my taxes by $1000.

by Anonymousreply 20112/02/2017

it cuts mine by $129

by Anonymousreply 20212/02/2017

Serious question: Is there any point in calling your reps if they are all Dems and have already voted against the bill?

I also think the sky is falling posters are right on this one. America doesn't come back from this. This is the end of the Republic. We will devolve into the type of societies we see in Central and South America. It's not just about the permanent enrichment of the 1%, and corporations. Public and higher education will be gutted, college and graduate school will become out of reach for all but the wealthy. Then they go after the safety net and turn back the clock and undo everything that's left of FDR's legacy with this bill and its scribbled in amendments.

The GOP are craven and traitorous. They don't fear anything. There will be no impeachment or resignation. If people take to the streets, a North Korean Reichstag Fire is waiting in the wings. Their smugness says it all. They are exacting their revenge on all who are not them for being forced to endure 8 years of a "ni**er" president, and the U.S. will be eternally removed from the world stage as a major player. In a decade our economy will be in shreds, tech innovations will be coming from China and India, and our citizens will be dying in the streets. Game over. Putin wins the cold war with the help of Republican traitors.

by Anonymousreply 20312/03/2017

People need to understand there is no such thing as a tax CUT. This is a shell game, and it is a tax SHIFT. And as they weaken or eliminate these EARNED benefits, the people who depend on them will not simply evaporate into thin air. They will still be here and the burden will shift to all of us in other forms. Remember this: Somebody ALWAYS pays.

States will either lay people off, eliminating basic programs, or raise taxes to cover things the federal government has "cut." Healthcare will once again be relegated to using ERs as primary care physicians, unless you are among the wealthiest. As a whole, our population will become sicker, less healthy, and less well educated.

If you think this tax bill won't affect you you are a complete fool. The costs for it will definitely be passed on to you in a million ways both seen and unseen. Educate yourself. And FIGHT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. This bill which, will also increase our deficit well into the trillions, is a threat to our national security.

Decide what kind of country you want to live in. Because these bastards are on a mission to completely dismantle government and privatize everything they can get their hands on. No accountability. We are going back to the dark ages. There was a reason why certain programs were put in place in this country. We thought we had learned from the past, but they want to turn the clock back to the 19th fucking century.. #RESIST.

by Anonymousreply 20412/03/2017

Most of the people who are defending this tax bill don't even know what's in it. Hell, the fucking bastards who voted for it don't know what's in it.

by Anonymousreply 20512/03/2017

I’ll see a tax cut because I itemize. However, I am also a public school teacher in NJ and there is a real chance I could lose my job in a few years as a result of the potential changes to SALT.

by Anonymousreply 20612/03/2017

Drat. I don’t itemize.

by Anonymousreply 20712/03/2017

[quaote]ose my job in a few years as a result of the potential changes to SALT.

What is SALT? State an d local taxes ?

by Anonymousreply 20812/03/2017

Where is the practical benefit to giving the wealthiest 1% a ridiculously high tax cut? Practically speaking? A tax cut that blows a hole in our deficit and imposes an incredible tax burden on people earning less than $75,000 a year? If this bill were above board ask yourself why was it developed in secret? Why were the people who had to vote it up or down not allowed to actually see it until it was called for a vote? Why was there no public hearing from the committees that developed it? Why were they allowing lobbyists to actually scribble amendments to the bill as it reached the floor for a vote and no one actually knew WTF they were voting on. What happened in the U.S. Senate this past week was shameful. They don't even pretend to represent the interests of the people who elected them. The same thing will happen in the House if we allow it. They did this in secret and some how it was OK with 51 Senators.

by Anonymousreply 20912/03/2017

R208, yes, particulary property taxes in states like NJ.

by Anonymousreply 21012/03/2017

May be Joy Ann Reied . Rachael Maddow, Chris Hayes, Chris Matthew , Laurence O Donnel , Joe and Mike and other DL favorites on CNN and CBS news etc should invite their new favorites politicians like John NcCain , Lindsay Graham , Paul Ryan , Cory Gardner , :Lmar Odam, Tim Scott , Roy Blunt and many more on their show

MSM quickly manages to get these Republican on their shows when these Republicans have to bash Trump on trivial issue. May be MSM should hound them and ask them why they voted for this bill and in this manner

by Anonymousreply 21112/03/2017

It's not a tax cut for most middle class people. I'm fact it will be a tax increase after the first few years.

It's shocking because it goes against everything the "tea party" and "deficit hawks" stood for. Everything was bullshit after all.

by Anonymousreply 21212/03/2017

I don’t know if it’s mentioned up thread or not, but this bill trashes many of the benefits that are particularly useful in Blue States. Reduction or elimination of deductions for State and Local taxes, for example. Also, the mortgage interest deduction. You’ll recall that Blue states already generally pay more in taxes that they receive in benefits.

by Anonymousreply 21312/03/2017

They are also looking at reducing or eliminating the medical deduction. I don’t understand this one at all. To get that deduction, you have to spend more than 10% of your taxable income on medical care. Shouldn’t we have some pity on people in this circumstance? It’s not like it’s elective.

Sen. Susan Collins is fighting to reduce this threshold from 10% to 7.5%. It was 7.5% for years and years but was increased to 10% to Fund the ACA. I take the deduction and am pissed that it’s threatened. It could cost me $3000 a year.

by Anonymousreply 21412/03/2017

Yeah, R212, it’s almost not worth using the calculator for this, because the bill is designed to tighten the screws on the middle class in later years.

I wish they were prohibited from doing this kind of thing, messing with the future like this. A future congress and President will get stuck with this when it all goes pear shaped.

by Anonymousreply 21512/03/2017

We have to hope that this bill makes its horribleness further known during the year once people can finally read it. Maybe it will spook reps worried about 2018. Congress van always amend or undo.

by Anonymousreply 21612/03/2017

It still has a to be reconciled.

by Anonymousreply 21712/03/2017

R217 it will be reconciled in favor of the 1% ers the middle class and anyone in high property tax states are about to get screwed.

by Anonymousreply 21812/03/2017

R203 yes, it important to call your Senators and Representative even if they are Democrats. First, it shows them that their constituents are paying attention to how they are voting. If you approve of their performance and record as it pertains to your beliefs and needs for representation then tell them so and thank them. Ask how you can advocate for the democratic agenda regarding this bill. Ask where the bill is available for viewing and read it.

Email EVERY Republican, especially Representatives right now, if you wish, to express your point of view on particular items in the bill that are egregious and unacceptable and demand that they justify their reasons for supporting those items. Let them know you are paying attention and will watch how they handle this next step. Suggest you will participate in the grassroots campaign to unseat them in '18. Representatives are looking at '18 elections and need to hear from all voters who disapprove of their voting record.

When you're done with the Representatives, you can start with the Senators up for re-election in '18 who voted for this tax bill: Dean Heller (R-NV) Ted Cruz (R-TX) Roger Wicker (R-MS) Deb Fischer (R-NE) John Barrasso (R-WY) Orrin Hatch (R-UT)* * Possibly retiring

(R-Nev) Sen. Dean Heller who voted for the tax bill tossed a constituent out of a town hall meeting. She is a Stage 4 Cancer patient who was asking him about health coverage in this bill. He's a snivelling coward.

Oh, and he's considered the most vulnerable R Senator up for re-election in '18. Datalounge, let's unseat this sorry excuse for a human. We can do it. Call, call, call on behalf of his D opponent. And call his office to spout off - especially about this treatment of his constituent.

by Anonymousreply 21912/03/2017

Here's the story about Sen. Heller and the Stage 4 cancer patient at the town hall meeting on Saturday 12/2.

by Anonymousreply 22012/03/2017

What imbecile thunks removing money from the economy in the form of spendable income, will strengthen the economy.

by Anonymousreply 22112/03/2017

The calculator says the Senate plan would save me $300, the house plan will cost me $200. Actually, I think both plans could cost me $5000 per year.

by Anonymousreply 22212/03/2017

For what tax year would this take effect?

by Anonymousreply 22312/03/2017

[quote]I also think the sky is falling posters are right on this one. America doesn't come back from this.

nature abhors a void, you take something away, some other thing will immediately take its place. Medicare goes away, a fucking discretionary military budget will take it's place. it's just physics.

by Anonymousreply 22412/03/2017

If this bill or a similar one gets passed, I plan on pre-paying some of my bills in 2017. I itemize on my taxes. I’ll bunch-up deductions in this tax year.

My property tax bill is issued right after the new year. I’ll pay it around December 15th.

I’ll pay my long term care insurance premium in December. It’s otherwise also due in January. It’s a medical deduction.

Ditto for state income taxes.

I just gave away $500 in clothes, too. I don’t think the charity deduction is threatened, but no matter.

by Anonymousreply 22512/03/2017

R224, oh, I hate that. The military should be cut.

by Anonymousreply 22612/03/2017

This bill will leave us with at least a $1.4 trillion deficit, if not more.

So the fiscally responsible party is doing what it always does-- borrow and spend.

It did it with two wars, Medicare Drug Law, and the huge tax cuts for the rich under both GWB and Reagan. THAT is why our debt doubled under Obama, not because anything much Obama did himself.

Obama was able to bring the years deficit down by filling the fiscal holes in the drug law via Obamacare, ending the wars, and raising taxes slightly on the wealthy.

This bill will now reverse it all again. And when a Dem is in the WH again, he will get blamed for the ballooning debt. I've seen this movie over and over

by Anonymousreply 22712/03/2017

Trump promises every family gets raises and brings back $4000 more per year.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOL

by Anonymousreply 22812/03/2017

Tax rates on corporations and high-income people need to be RAISED, not lowered.

by Anonymousreply 22912/03/2017

The Senator from South Carolina who has been propped up by the GOP as a spokesperson for the bill (and was recently on the CNN forum about the tax bill) admits he didn't read the whole bill

by Anonymousreply 23012/03/2017

Economies boom when the middle class has lots of money to spend. FACT.

This is why China's and India's economies started booming and the US' was its strongest after WWII.

Giving all the money to the rich doesn't suddenly make they create jobs, particularly if there's no middle class demand. That's the lie the GOP constantly spreads

by Anonymousreply 23112/03/2017

Teachers lose a small deduction for buying school supplies while 1% get tax break for private jets.

The Repubs aren't even trying to hide their agenda anymore.

by Anonymousreply 23212/03/2017

R282, clearly teachers need to hold class on private jets

by Anonymousreply 23312/03/2017

i’m gonna enjoy my tax cut! 😍

by Anonymousreply 23412/03/2017

I am in a blue state, can I call the reps in the red states using a phone card or something so that they can trace where I'm calling from to protest?

by Anonymousreply 23512/03/2017

sorry, i meant CAN"T trace where i'm calling from ? i'm post R235

by Anonymousreply 23612/03/2017

R202, if you had to pay an additional $129 you'd be screaming bloody murder.

by Anonymousreply 23712/03/2017

There are always options...

by Anonymousreply 23812/03/2017

My question too R236. If you don't live in a red district or state how can you call and email these GOP fuckers to tell them you will be giving your money and time to their future opponents?

by Anonymousreply 23912/03/2017

Will property values collapse?

by Anonymousreply 24012/03/2017

R240. I hope so

by Anonymousreply 24112/03/2017

TO THOSE SAYING VOTE OUT ALL REPIGS BECAUSE THEIR YES VOTE.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

DEMS ARE LAZY ASS CUNTS WHEN IT COMES TO VOTING.

REPIGS WILL GET MORE REPIG VOTERS TO SHOW UP.

SAD!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24212/03/2017

Hi Donald aka R242. How long have you been lurking on DL?

by Anonymousreply 24312/03/2017

On Friday night these 3 Democrats in the Senate voted AGAINST an amendment to protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Plz call them to let them know what you think of their vote.

@SenatorDurbin (IL) (202) 224-2152

@SenatorCarper (DE) (202) 224-2441

@MarkWarner (VA) (202) 224-2023

by Anonymousreply 24412/03/2017

Why the fuck would they do that, R244?!

by Anonymousreply 24512/03/2017

Yes R240 with the elimination of the deduction for state and local RE taxes you're going to see a big devaluation in RE prices. It's going to help push us back into a recession.

by Anonymousreply 24612/03/2017

" We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy. "

Nancy Pelosi 9 March 2010

by Anonymousreply 24712/03/2017

Jesus Christ, r247. You are so fucking stupid I can't believe you are able tie your own shoes without accidentally hanging yourself.

by Anonymousreply 24812/03/2017

Why liberals groups like Antifa and BLM are not protesting this bill ?

by Anonymousreply 24912/03/2017

they were only given 4 hrs to read the bill before it was passed. how could anyone fucking read the whole thing?

by Anonymousreply 25012/03/2017

They couldn't. A lot of it still basically consisted of margin notes scrawled by lobbyists.

by Anonymousreply 25112/03/2017

Yup, R248. That particular bit of trolling has been debunked so many times it's not even worth doing it again. The very fact that someone would bring that up reveals that they are either a) a moron, b) a troll, or c) both, usually the latter.

by Anonymousreply 25212/03/2017

[quote]Why liberals groups like Antifa and BLM are not protesting this bill ?

well, first. Antifa isn't real, bunky, it is something for fox net ratings.

BLM is probably too worried about getting beat up to think about tax law.

by Anonymousreply 25312/03/2017

The tax bill blow a $1.4 trillion dollars hole in the deficits, adds to it. We already have a deficit and you pay it down by raising taxes on corporations, stock exchanging fees and high end income and assets earners, like billionaire and millionaires. The longer we wait to do this, the worse the deficit becomes. This bill makes no sense economically, just on this only. The fall out for no tax revenue, and a huge deficit is a destructive one for our DEMOCRACY and the very lives of the American people.

When government sector does not have the money to employ people and there are lay offs, this is called a DEPRESSION. VERY VERY DANGEROUS. The government is the only entity that can pull a nation out of a recession/depression. But, you need tax revenue for this and coherent economic policy, you know based on math and evidence-based theory.

Clearly, if the government does not have tax revenue, this equals depression. How do you avoid a depression? You raise taxes and move to stabilize income equality/purchasing power.

by Anonymousreply 25412/03/2017

This, from Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) It would appear that the senator is speaking for a vast majority of us. Please watch it through - he tears a hole.

by Anonymousreply 25512/03/2017

R235 R236 R 239 R203 Yes. First, It is important to call your Senators and Representative even if they are Democrats. First, it shows them that their constituents are paying attention to how they are voting. If you approve of their performance and record as it pertains to your beliefs and needs for representation then tell them so and thank them. Ask how you can advocate for the democratic agenda regarding this bill. Ask where the bill is available for viewing and read it.

R235 R236 I believe it would be fine to use that card, pay cash. But I'm no expert.

Email EVERY Republican, especially Representatives right now, if you wish, to express your point of view on particular items in the bill that are egregious and unacceptable and demand that they justify their reasons for supporting those items. Let them know you are paying attention and will watch how they handle this next step. Suggest you will participate in the grassroots campaign to unseat them in '18. Representatives are looking at '18 elections and need to hear from all voters who disapprove of their voting record.

When you're done with the Representatives, you can start with the Senators up for re-election in '18 who voted for this tax bill: Dean Heller (R-NV) Ted Cruz (R-TX) Roger Wicker (R-MS) Deb Fischer (R-NE) John Barrasso (R-WY) Orrin Hatch (R-UT)* * Possibly retiring

(R-Nev) Sen. Dean Heller who voted for the tax bill tossed a constituent out of a town hall meeting. She is a Stage 4 Cancer patient who was asking him about health coverage in this bill. He's a snivelling coward.

Oh, and he's considered the most vulnerable R Senator up for re-election in '18. Datalounge, let's unseat this sorry excuse for a human. We can do it. Call, call, call on behalf of his D opponent. And call his office to spout off - especially about this treatment of his constituent.

by Anonymousreply 25612/03/2017

R244 Thank you. I will be calling their offices on Monday to check on the details you posted.

by Anonymousreply 25712/03/2017

Call you US representative (you have 1) via this number (Move-on.org): 844-311-7810

Call your US senators (you have 2): Sierra Club call system is: 855-980-5639

********************************************************************* Also, you may call your US Senator and Representative through the US Senate Switchboard here:

(202) 224-3121. A switchboard operator will connect you directly with the Senate office you request.

Please Stay Plugged-in. WE can a limited period of days to kill this bill. Actions need everyday. Changes may be with in an hour.

by Anonymousreply 25812/03/2017

[quote] erious question: Is there any point in calling your reps if they are all Dems and have already voted against the bill?

Call them and thank them. They're not used to getting calls like that.

We should start stockpiling guns so we can shoot GOP lawmakers. It needs to be done, after all. Look at all the mass shootings that kill ordinary, innocent people. It's not fair. America should be shooting the right people - GOP politicians who want to strip US citizens of everything

by Anonymousreply 25912/03/2017

If you call the Congressional switchboard, can you talk to any Senator's office or only your home state's Senators? I'm not sure thanking your Dem Senators and House members is worth wasting your time on right now. They know where we are and they voted accordingly. Their polling shows them that. We need to kill the phone lines and offices of the GOP pieces of shit. Can we do that as out-of-staters?

by Anonymousreply 26012/03/2017

Call your own and then call those that appear accessible to reason, then call those who aren't reasonable. Call everyone yu can no matter where you live. RAISE HELL. Do a little bit of research: Indivisible has good script suggestions on their websites and they have ranked the various members of Congress in terms of who may still be on the fence or have reservations or objections, but get busy.. If they don't respond to calls, "Mail box full" send them faxes and emails. But DO something. Find out who the staff is and contact them through their staff. Call their home offices in the districts or states where they live not just the D.C. offices. Keep calling. We have to pull this out. I hate McConnell and Orrin Hatch. Those cold smug corrupt pieces of shit they are celebrating too soon. Let's derail their fucking dreams.

by Anonymousreply 26112/03/2017

Chuck Grassley believes ordinary people don't deserve tax breaks.

by Anonymousreply 26212/03/2017

Here's a link to the Indivisible site. If you're not familiar with them get familiar. they do an outstanding job. They talk about the reconciliation process and the Senate and the House versions. if there is a conference committee they sense danger because it will expose their ratfucking for what it is. So the speculation is that Ryan will persuade his members to accept the Senate version and no need for a conference committee. Just support the Senate version and move on. if they do that our chances of stopping it are low. But we have alternatives. We can fuck with other legislation and end up funding programs one at a time.

by Anonymousreply 26312/03/2017

R259, you’re funny!

by Anonymousreply 26412/03/2017

It seems, R45 that they are blue dog Dems, the very worst kind. They are for severely cutting or ending Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Remember it was a Blue Dog Democrat, Backus (sp) I think it was who destroyed the public option in the ACA. These Democrats have to be get a primary opponent and be voted out. They are 99.9% as bad as Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 26512/03/2017

Social Security reduced poverty in the elderly by over 10%. We don’t necessarily think of that now because it’s done such a good job.

by Anonymousreply 26612/03/2017

If Ryan can persuade the House members to accept the Senate version and by pass the conference committee, thus avoiding pubic scrutiny and discussion and an opportunity for us to stop this, then we're fucked. And there's every likelihood he will. Watch what happens Monday.

by Anonymousreply 26712/03/2017

We're happy.

Old people used to be our best customers.

by Anonymousreply 26812/03/2017

From R262's link:

[quote]“I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing, as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies," Grassley told the newspaper.

Is this going viral yet? If not, make it!! It's simple enough for even the deplorables to understand.

by Anonymousreply 26912/03/2017

Your CALLS are working,

Senators who voted yes, are saying they might not vote yes on the final bill now. WOW! Just WOW!

CALL your US Representative (you have one)

Call your SENATORS (you have 2).

Make sure to e-mail your letters too. (to your 1 representative and 2 senators)

PROTEST PROTEST PROTEST at their Offices.

Move-on has some protest events listed on the website (you can click the picture, to go the Moveon dot org site)

GO to moveon dot org

KILL THIS BILL

TELL THEM TO:

VOTE NO on the Tax Cut and Job Bill, in any form!

by Anonymousreply 27012/03/2017

Would it be too much to ask of our Democrat senators to make a collective statement damning this tax bill?

At this point, I would like them to step out of their comfort zone of telling their constituents to keep calling and protesting, and stage a protest of their own.

Is that too much to fucking ask.

by Anonymousreply 27112/03/2017

[quote]Senators who voted yes, are saying they might not vote yes on the final bill now. WOW! Just WOW!

I tried to google this but couldn't find anything. Please, fill us in. I hope it's true but I don't trust any of them.

by Anonymousreply 27212/03/2017

STOP FUCKING AROUND WITH MY LOWER TAXES!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 27312/03/2017

Everyone CALL CALL CALL Monday morning

Your US Representative

Your 2 US Senators

Tell them to:

Vote No on the Tax CUt and job Bill, in any form.

We still can KILL THIS BILL, though the time is limited Monday and Tuesday.

PROTEST at their offices, join a protest and stay pulled into actions.

@moveon moveon dot org is one place

by Anonymousreply 27412/03/2017

The Senate version allow up 10K in property tax deduction. We will see if they keep it.

by Anonymousreply 27512/04/2017

NEW ROUND OF CALLING

NEW ROUND OF EMAILING

The Tax Cut and Job bill (aka #GOPTaxscam) just moved to conference committee between the house and the senate. So, you can call again both your representative and your 2 senators.

Tell them:

VOTE NO on the Tax Cut and Job Bill, in any form

Reasons:

*dangerous 4 Americans

*Gives a gigantic tax break &cuts to billionaires, who do not need it.

* Allows for Oil Drilling in the Arctic Refugee, Why is this is a Tax bill?

*Guts health care, social and education programs. Bedrock programs for our democracy.

*Add a dangerous amount to the deficit, $1.4 TRILLION.

CALL CALL CALL

EMAIL EMAIL EMAIL

VOTE NO on the Tax Cut and Jobs Bill, in any form

This is a new round because the bill is in a new phases/procedure called conference committee. So say we want this bill to be stopped in the committe.

VOTE NO on the Tax CUt and Jobs bill, in any form.

Click picture for more information:

Or on twiiter go to #GOPTAXSCAM

MOVeon dot org may have a protest event near you too. PROTEST!

by Anonymousreply 27612/04/2017

[quote] Is there any point in calling your reps if they are all Dems and have already voted against the bill?

Call and tweet reps in nearby red states telling them you can't wait til 2018/2020 to unseat them and that you're volunteering to canvas and drive people to the polls on Election Day.

by Anonymousreply 27712/04/2017

[quote] Call them and thank them. They're not used to getting calls like that.

They are absolutely used to getting calls like that. Therefore they know to disregard the obvious astroturf campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 27812/04/2017

[quote]Is there any point in calling your reps if they are all Dems and have already voted against the bill?

I called the office of one of the Republican reps in my state. I'm not his constituent, but my message was taken.

by Anonymousreply 27912/04/2017

Thank you, r279.

by Anonymousreply 28012/04/2017

[quote]They are absolutely used to getting calls like that. Therefore they know to disregard the obvious astroturf campaigns.

Says the "deplorable." Yeah, we'll be sure to take your "advice."

by Anonymousreply 28112/04/2017

They don't give a shit about your fucking phone calls.

by Anonymousreply 28212/04/2017

Yeah, they do. The Democrats are already going to continue to vote no on this dreadful bill but a few of the Republicans are genuinely nervous, and they damn well should be. Make some fucking noise.

by Anonymousreply 28312/04/2017

Isn't it interesting how the two people trying to stop people from calling are both deplorables?

by Anonymousreply 28412/04/2017

fuck congress

by Anonymousreply 28512/04/2017

No, fuck Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 28612/04/2017

R265 I thought it was Joe Lieberman who defeated the public option.

by Anonymousreply 28712/04/2017

It was a group effort. Lieberman played a strong role, particularly in blocking allowing those 55 and older to buy into Medicare, but Baucus before that, in his ill-fated "Gang of Six" negotiations, started from the wrong point and ruled out the public option from the very beginning.

[quote]Baucus very deliberately started the talks with a template that was the core of the 1993-4 Republican plan, built around an individual mandate and exchanges with private insurers—much to the chagrin of many Democrats and liberals who wanted, if not a single-payer system, at least one with a public insurance option. Through the summer, the Gang of Six engaged in detailed discussions and negotiations to turn a template into a plan.

by Anonymousreply 28812/04/2017

CALL CALL CALL New rounds of calls are needed NOW!

Call your US Representative on Tuesday (tomorrow) EMAIL THEM TOO, super fast.

Call your 2 US Senators on Tuesday and Wednesday

TEll THem:

Vote NO on the Tax Cuts and JOBS BIll

Reasons:

*Billionaires do not need a tax cut, they need a tax increase. *Bill threatens health care, social and education. *BLows a $1.4TRILLON dollar to the deficit (Adds to the deficit. *leads to guts to social security, medicare and medicaid. *Will harm our fellow Americans.

Click the picture, to go to an update page on actions to take and what to say.

by Anonymousreply 28912/04/2017

Don't worry OP- Unemployed homeless folks don't pay income tax- so scream at the moon and get back in your tent.

by Anonymousreply 29012/05/2017

Indivisible is a great website. They will walk you through everything you need to know with good suggestions and great links.

Keep calling keep protesting when you can cite specific examples. There is no way you can support a tax increase on people making less than $75,000 a year. No way you can support blowing a hole in the deficit. Now way you can support destabilizing healthcare. We need our healthcare and our parents need medicare. Tell them to start paying attention to the people who voted for them.

by Anonymousreply 29112/05/2017

New from WaPo: The richest 1% now own an astonishing 40% of the country's wealth, their highest share in over 60 years. Today, the top 1 percent of households own more wealth than the bottom 90 percent combined.

Thank goodness the Republicans are giving the poor things a tax cut in this, their time of need.

by Anonymousreply 29212/06/2017

What is the big fucking deal over making a lousy phone call or two or sending an email or a tweet.

I'm sure the ones on this thread that are discouraging people from doing it are filthy rich and can't wait to get their greedy hands on those tax cuts for the rich. Otherwise there is no point in discouraging people from doing something that takes next to no effort and can only help, not hurt.

by Anonymousreply 29312/06/2017

Look at what else they've posted, R293. Most of them are our resident trolls.

by Anonymousreply 29412/06/2017

I'm sure, R294. Thank you for doing the legwork I didn't think to do.

by Anonymousreply 29512/06/2017

“[The tax bill is] death to Democrats,” said conservative economist Stephen Moore, who advised Trump’s campaign on tax policy.

“They go after state and local taxes, which weakens public employee unions. They go after university endowments, and universities have become play pens of the left. And getting rid of the mandate is to eventually dismantle Obamacare,” Moore said in an interview, arguing that it would accelerate “a death spiral” in the health-care law’s marketplaces.

by Anonymousreply 29612/06/2017

oops

by Anonymousreply 29712/06/2017

R296 he is also spewing propaganda. Just don't look isn't wise but look and despise it is well justified.

by Anonymousreply 29812/06/2017

[quote]Just don't look isn't wise but look and despise it is well justified.

is English your second language?

by Anonymousreply 29912/06/2017

FUCKING HELL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 30012/21/2017

[quote] CALL AND PROTEST IN THE STREETS FOR THIS.

The melodrama ain't happening baby.

by Anonymousreply 30112/21/2017

Then Fuck you

by Anonymousreply 30212/21/2017

*Shrug* Give it time, R301. The damage will happen regardless of whether the protests do or not.

by Anonymousreply 30312/21/2017

it's total anarchy

by Anonymousreply 30412/21/2017

nobody will do shit .... yet. but next year, actually try to remember, millennials, and get your ass to the polls. if every millennial voted, we'd be fine.

by Anonymousreply 30512/21/2017

indeed, they stayed away in droves

by Anonymousreply 30612/22/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!