Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

UN monitor to examine extreme poverty in US. Kinda embarrassing.

At the heart of his fact-finding tour will be a question that is causing increasing anxiety at a troubled time: is it possible, in one of the world’s leading democracies, to enjoy fundamental human rights such as political participation or voting rights if you are unable to meet basic living standards, let alone engage, as Thomas Jefferson put it, in the pursuit of happiness?

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2017

Th UN should stay the hell out of our business.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2017

R1 You forgot to add, Dern furr'ners. Git.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2017

They're wise to get started now. After the repug tax bill becomes law they'll have a lot more people in the US to examine.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2017

It was only a matter of.time before the UN stepped in. Most of the rest of the world moved forward when we did from the 1940s through 1990s, roughly, but most of them did not fall back like we're doing. They can see the US and its people are in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2017

What's the point? Is this going to prompt change? Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2017

[quote] Observers have been surprised that the White House has honored the invitation to host Alston after the initial offer was extended by Barack Obama.

Kabuki theater prearranged last year.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2017

Now that a Democrat is out of office, the UN suddenly cares about poverty in the U.S., the media has noticed the country has a homeless problem and they suddenly care about military casualties. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2017

The UN cared before, r7.

by Anonymousreply 812/02/2017

If only extreme poverty would manifest in areas rich in fossil fuels, eh?

by Anonymousreply 912/02/2017

The wealth disparity and horrible conditions of child poverty that exist in the "richest country on Earth" are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2017

It demonstrates trickle down economics and how Ronnie started a downward slide that continues today.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2017

Yeah, without jobs to support a growing population, America’s decline was inevitable. It’s really not surprising at all.

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2017

It serves the republican agenda to keep the working class poor and angry.

It's a good strategy because they know Dems are snared in identity politics - which plate into GOP hands - and will never do anything real for the working class as they are also on the corporate leash.

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2017

I really want to make my voice heard in regards to this topic. I just need a platform to do it. This and so many other topics. I have a way of getting through to people. And I will.

Sad times we live in.

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!