Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What profession is the ‘playwright’ of our time?

Who are the Bill Shakespeare & Kit Marlowe of Now, in terms of literary skill but also reach & fame/notoriety? What is today’s equivalent artform to a play in the round or a fawning sonnet for the Queen?

And, would an Elizabethan playwright today be a bigshot film writer/director? A Netflix screenwriter or producer? A rapper or pop songwriter who rubs shoulders with foreign royalty & international models?

by Anonymousreply 28Yesterday at 7:08 AM

Philip Dawkins

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2017

eh hem

by Anonymousreply 211/30/2017

Ryan Murphy

by Anonymousreply 311/30/2017

Beyoncé

by Anonymousreply 411/30/2017

Public Relations

by Anonymousreply 511/30/2017

I personally believe we DLers are at the forefront of the vanguard.

(AND we will surely be up for a Pulitzer or something for our probe into Operation Lansbury.)

by Anonymousreply 611/30/2017

I don’t blame you all so much for not taking the question asked in all earnestness seriously, as I blame myself for not anticipating it. As you were, lads.

by Anonymousreply 711/30/2017

Jay-Z recently predicted Chris Martin of ‘Coldplay’ would be held up like a Shakespeare in centuries to come. Really.

Beyonce is more likely than either man to take the wreath from Will’s head. At least she popularised certain turns of phrase. ‘Bootylicious’, the trochaic ‘Becky-with-the-good-hair’, “I’m in my feelings” and “I slay” are all more memorable and in wider use than any Coldplay lyric or Jay-Z line.

by Anonymousreply 811/30/2017

If Shakespeare or Marlowe were alive today, they'd be churning out episodes of power-blood-and-revenge sagas on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 911/30/2017

So basically George R. R. Martin is the Shakespeare of the 21st Century, R9?

What about the poetry side, though? The Bard was a multi-talented artistic force as well as a famed courtier, even though he was looked down upon by some for his plays. He also directed his own works and acted from time to time. Is there anyone alive today who even comes close? I’m thinking the late Prince Rogers Nelson might fit, given that he had films out...

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2017

I once heard Bill Cli n ton called the ‘Faustus’ of our time, not sure if I agree.

Who is the modern cognate of Chaucer? A hypeman, a forgerer, a travel writer & satirist to the rich, & amateur cardshark...

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2017

In the 1990s, it was the moguls & bookers of American pro-wrestling.

Behind the curtain was almost as much drug use, excess, sleazy sex and power-games as you’d expect from politicians of now...all for our Entertainment dollar. Vince Russo has a little John Ford about him.

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2017

quentin tarantino is the dialoqgue king since reservoir dogs. he just gets dialogue like willy the shake.

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2017

Nah R2, he wants to be a Beat. His auteur films and stints at teaching speak to that.

Shakespeare was more a dramatic storyteller than a diarist, more of the common-people. Bill was less about philosophy & personal journeys and more about society & relationships within it.

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2017

It was probably Rod Serling.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2017

Vlogger

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2017

Kit Marlowe produced almost nothing.

Bill Shakespeare was consistently productive.

No-one in the last century has produced as much as what Shakespeare did. It's a different world now.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2017

Yes, quite right R17. Shakespeare’s catalogue is remarkable even by today’s standards. One wonders when he stopped to eat.

However, I was speaking of legacy & largesse more than proliferation. I am asking: which writers of today have the influence & popularity of Shakespeare? Whose work is entering mass consciousness in the same way?

How about Bowie? His lyrics are as memorable, and as well-beloved.

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2017

[quote]I am asking: which writers of today have the influence & popularity of Shakespeare? Whose work is entering mass consciousness in the same way?

Michael Jackson, J.K. Rowling, Kanye West, Pixar.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2017

R19 those listed certainly do have the widespread appeal. But the talent...?

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2017

To be fair to Marlowe, he was killed when he was 29, so, no, he didn't write very much. Shakespeare was not yet "Shakespeare" at that age; much of his early work is pretty ragged. He did work like a demon once he got going, though.

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2017

Quality, not quantity, R21.

Don’t scholars now believe that Marlowe had a big hand in writing the Henry cycle?

by Anonymousreply 2212/07/2017

Tim Rice & Bernie Taupin are both world-renowned lyricists who have had their words in major stage productions. They have also worked with ‘stars’ and in film.

What sayeth the Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 2312/07/2017

R22, the current Oxford edition totally buys into the idea that Shakespeare and Marlowe collaborated on the Henry VI plays. I’m not sure how much of that is based on language algorithms and how much is based (longstanding) speculation. One might have hoped for something better from that match-up.

by Anonymousreply 2412/07/2017

R24 indeed. Two heads aren’t always better than one, particularly if those two heads are genius rivals. The idea of Marlowe & Shakespeare collabing is a tempting one, but there’s definitely still a case to say that they couldn’t have compromised enough to produce a whole play in tandem (and that they didn’t have enough time to get to comfortable enough to work together before Marlowe’s death). Still, the echoes of Marlowe in Henry VI are undeniable. I’ve always noticed a big jump in quality in that cycle...

What do you think they would admire nowadays? I feel that Shakespeare would look to recent acclaimed tv series like ‘Empire’ or popular comic dramas such as Wes Anderson films. To my mind, Marlowe might prefer more fantastic & experimental works such as Pynchon novels or series like ‘American Gods’.

by Anonymousreply 2512/08/2017

Would either of them have groped their female leads, do we think?

Will had his mistress Anne, so I doubt he’d feel tempted. He also had a daughter I believe, which would turn him off. Kit preferred men and seemingly liked them older, so perhaps it’s a no on both counts.

by Anonymousreply 26Yesterday at 4:59 AM

Stephen King. J. K. Rowling.

by Anonymousreply 27Yesterday at 5:02 AM

It galls me to think of King that way.

by Anonymousreply 28Yesterday at 7:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!