Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you give gifts to nieces and nephews for Xmas?

Trying to think of something inexpensive but thoughtful I could give six full-grown adults I am not particularly close to. And then there are the six grand-nephews and nieces ranging from age one to 18. What to do about them?

In recent years I've dealt with the issue by not giving anyone anything, but some of them have given me small token gifts the past couple of years so I feel like I should do something.

by Anonymousreply 58Last Friday at 3:51 PM

Gift cards for all, OP.

Something generic like Target or Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2017

[quote]Trying to think of something inexpensive but thoughtful I could give six full-grown adults I am not particularly close to.

For $25 dollars, you can have their names etched in a heart-shaped glass, stating we are family.

[quote] And then there are the six grand-nephews and nieces ranging from age one to 18. What to do about them?

For the one year old, all you need to offer is a cute onesie. They are super cheap and under $7. All the 18 and unders, you should get a supersize candy of some sort. They are $10 each. Target has them. You'll be the cool and fun uncle with those gifts.

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2017

Cash is king or gift cards. Amazon will buy them almost anything. Movie tickets are good, forces them out of the house. Dont buy any lame chachskies like R2. No kid wants some cheese glass heart from an obscure uncle.

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2017

If you're a Catholic, give them a Christmas Mass Bouquet, where masses will be said on their intentions for the next year. $3 each. If you are into that horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2017

You could get one thing for each family like a cake or an ornament with their last name instead of individual gifts for each adult and kid. That's what I do for my cousins. Saves time and money.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2017

I give to the one that’s still a kid living at home. The others have never ever reciprocated, so fuck them. It’s not how they were raised to be.

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2017

The ones that are adults that grew up and give back, include them. You don’t sound particularly close to anyone, so for kids I’d suggest just getting a single game like Jenga or similar that anyone can play.

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2017

Joansies Loves Chachskies

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2017

R4 made me laugh

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2017

[quote]Cash is king or gift cards. Amazon will buy them almost anything. Movie tickets are good, forces them out of the house.

He said gifts.

[quote] Dont buy any lame chachskies like [R2]. No kid wants some cheese glass heart from an obscure uncle.

Not kid!

The adults might appreciate an attractive glass keepsake, because it is thoughtful and inexpensive. It's unique and personal. They can use it as a paperweight or an art piece. Most importantly, no one will be able to regift it, because it'll have their names on it.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2017

I used to buy for my nephew stuff when he was a child. Now he gets a gift card. He is 19. I will buy until he is 21 then imma done. I only ever saw him at Xmas and didn’t last year as his mom got remarried and he spent it with new family.

by Anonymousreply 1111/30/2017

Do people really use gift cards?

I like to buy my nieces books that were favorites of mine when I was their age. The dilemma here is that of my four nieces, only one of them could really be called a reader.

by Anonymousreply 1211/30/2017

The only people I do buy for are my nephews. They're 6 and 4. We decided as a family that the adults don't need to buy each other gifts. We're all gainfully employed and if we need/want something we'll buy it ourselves. What we'll do instead is pick a night and go out to dinner or a show as a family. Spending time together is more important than stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1311/30/2017

Give them subscriptions to DL, on/y $1.50 a month.

by Anonymousreply 1411/30/2017

You could give the older ones a mini-subscription to spotify or netflix. (1-3 months.) Or take them all out for pizza one night.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Wednesday at 11:22 AM

My favorite gifts as a kid were obcs.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Wednesday at 11:39 AM

I have a niece and nephew and they are both married. They each get a $100 gift card or check for Christmas and their birthdays. My two great nieces get $50.

They are all nice, but they live 2,000 miles away and I don't see them often.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Wednesday at 12:21 PM

You could send each recipient a hand-written card that lets them know that a donation was made in their name to The Human Fund.

They’ll either be impressed by your philanthropy or get a good chuckle out of it.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Wednesday at 12:30 PM

I send cash $100 to my 15yr old niece. If it gets lost in mail, oh well. If I send a check then MOM(sis) has to cash it and ask about it.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Wednesday at 12:34 PM

I see mine once or twice a year, and that's when I give them something. It's more fun going shopping together than sending something in the post. And it stops at age 18.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Wednesday at 12:37 PM

One niece and one nephew.

They get cash because they are fashionistas like their fathers.

by Anonymousreply 21Last Wednesday at 12:42 PM

I have but thanks to Repugs, I am now too poor.

by Anonymousreply 22Last Wednesday at 12:50 PM

Why are you considering giving something to people you barely even know?

by Anonymousreply 23Last Wednesday at 1:05 PM

You have to feed The Xmas Machine with expensive gifts for people you hardly know or like. It’s the American way!

by Anonymousreply 24Last Wednesday at 1:07 PM

I do but told my brother I won't after they turn 16 and he is fine with that. He actually welcomes it.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Wednesday at 1:08 PM

I recommend the Buy Safe Buy Green Guide, 2017 Holiday Gift List. Because you are mostly giving to a Charity too. There are a few Indie businesses on there, as well.

There is a super cool plush chimp and T-shirt that supports the Jane Goodall Institute on the list. Actually, if you click on the chimp Jubliee, there is another plush toy that is also adorable and supports the JGI, for less money.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Wednesday at 1:16 PM

Dildos for everybody! A fine gift for girls and boys.

by Anonymousreply 27Last Wednesday at 1:44 PM

Do six adults who are virtual strangers really want to receive a plush chimp and Jane Goodall T-shirt from a distant relative?

by Anonymousreply 28Last Wednesday at 1:47 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Wednesday at 1:48 PM

NO. They get nothing from me. They are already entitled little cunts who consider anything less than $1000 to be cheap. I'm not going to feed that mentality.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Wednesday at 2:07 PM

My niece and nephews don't get anything for Christmas. We aren't close. One nephew only texts me if he needs something. I am still waiting for my niece to acknowledge, or thank me for her wedding gift from 18 months ago. The other two nephews don't even know my address or phone number.

by Anonymousreply 31Last Wednesday at 2:33 PM

I will only give gifts to my hot hockey-playing teenage nephews that I have shared a bed with during crowded family get togethers.

by Anonymousreply 32Last Wednesday at 2:36 PM

Op did say that he wanted a meaningful gift for relatives he barely knows.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Wednesday at 2:45 PM

Give them all tickets to Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Wednesday at 2:45 PM

If you haven't been giving anything I can't imagine why you'd want to start now. If you're very well to do and have money to throw away go for it but if not keep doing what you've been doing. They won't be expecting anything from you and there is a very good chance it won't be appreciated anyway. And if you do have money to throw around why not give to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 35Last Wednesday at 2:49 PM

If you wanted to give them something this year bc you will see them, make it something special.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Wednesday at 2:55 PM

I wanted to stop this year, but their Dad volunteered that Starbucks gift cards would be a good gift, so I think everybody is giving them same. That’s about ten gift cards.

They’re about 23 and 25.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Wednesday at 3:07 PM

Weed. The young folks all love it.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Wednesday at 3:10 PM

I gave my niece and nephew $50 checks a few years ago, by mail as I didn’t see them. Neither thanked me, and my nephew didn’t cash his check until March. Their Dad makes big money and buys them whatever they want, so I think it’s meaningless to them. So, I’m not eager to buy them gifts anymore.

I’m fond of my eldest nephew and his wife, but I bought them something unusual and expensive a few years ago, and never heard from them. Same the next year, so that was it. Finished with gifts. I send them a card or otherwise I might lose touch completely.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Wednesday at 3:19 PM

You could give them a framed photo of yourself so that they won’t forget what you look like.

Of course, if the frame is too nice, they may chuck the photo and replace it with a picture of someone they actually know and like.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Wednesday at 3:22 PM

One year I was flush and wanted to give $500 bills to my niece & nephew. That’s when I learned they don’t print them any more. I forget what I gave. Probably just a $100. My grandmother used to give crisp brand new bills but the bank tellers today act like you’re asking for something impossible, so I gave up with that.

by Anonymousreply 41Last Wednesday at 3:29 PM

Send them a POVITICA, a delicious bread/dessert that way they can all enjoy it !

use code U99 at checkout and the entire thing will run you $ 19.99 + FREE SHIPPING

take a look at the site. I've ordered several & everyone has enjoyed them thoroughly.

by Anonymousreply 42Last Wednesday at 3:32 PM

Not sure if younger nieces and nephews will appreciate "povitica", unless they are related to Melanija Knav Trump..

by Anonymousreply 43Last Wednesday at 3:37 PM

This is so sad that so many of you have such limited contact with your families and nieces and nephews. Though it explains why so many of you have such wild misperceptions about Millennials.

My aunts and uncles get me and my siblings gift cards or checks and have since we were teens. They get that we don't need some random inexpensive gift and that a $100 check we can put towards a pair of headphones or new racing bike is going to be much more appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 44Last Wednesday at 3:38 PM

P43

Most people like something good to eat.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Wednesday at 3:39 PM

R44, you’re a good egg. I wish you were my nephew, or niece, or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 46Last Wednesday at 3:43 PM

GIVE THEM SOMETHING SMALL AND THOUGHTFUL BACK.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Wednesday at 3:45 PM

They prefer gift cards and that's fine with me. I'm giving everyone gift cards, I'm too stressed and depressed this year to deal with shopping, I can barely bring myself to buy groceries most of the time. I may actually give them cheques to save the trouble of getting gift cards.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Wednesday at 3:49 PM

Sex toys

by Anonymousreply 49Last Wednesday at 3:50 PM

Y'know what...? I did so gladly for 5 nieces and nephews year after year after year, in spite of the fact that not a single one ever said thank you or acknowledged my gift in any way. (Yeah, R44, Millennials are soooooo thoughtful. ) I finally decided: fuck 'em. They're all post-college now, and I'm definitely post-them.

by Anonymousreply 50Last Wednesday at 3:50 PM

Those povitica thingys look pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Wednesday at 3:59 PM

I realize I'm going to sound very "bah humbug." I'm single and for years I've always been expected to buy gifts for 9 of my nieces and nephews ages 6-19 despite making way less than my siblings and their spouses. I've gone the full out decent, expensive, store bought gifts route, the gift card route and the quality hand made gifts route.

I've yet to receive anything from them or their parents in return sans a single thank you card one year and their forced "say thank you to your Aunt" appreciation. I feel cheap and scrouge-like, but I'm done with it. No gifts this year. Besides which, it's not like I can compete when their parents are giving them laptops, hockey jerseys, and guitars for gifts. One more reason to hate the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Wednesday at 4:00 PM

Send each sibling's family a RID kit with the following note:

" Hi hon, thought this would come in handy in case one of my lovely nieces becomes a big ole whore ! "

-love Uncle David

by Anonymousreply 53Last Wednesday at 4:00 PM

Ann Landers always used to say, if they do not send Thank Yous, you stop giving.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Friday at 1:38 PM

The best most of these brats should get is a vicious face slapping and a talkin' to.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Friday at 1:52 PM

ha. i buy for my siblings and small children and that is like candy. who are you trying to impress?

by Anonymousreply 56Last Friday at 2:25 PM

Send some money to charities in their name and make sure they know it. That will piss them off for the ungrateful shits they are and do some good for someone at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 57Last Friday at 3:48 PM

Donate money yo a charity in their name but DON’T tell them! In fact, don’t tell anybody, keep your charitable contributions confidential. That will really piss them off!

by Anonymousreply 58Last Friday at 3:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!