Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Grammys: So Black & Fem

It still won't be enough, until Whitey is dead.

by Anonymousreply 5712/07/2017

Just scanned through the list and am happily officially old. So not my music.

by Anonymousreply 111/28/2017

[quote] You can look at these nods as a determined effort to repair the Grammys’ reputation, which in recent years has been badly damaged by case after case of important black artists being overlooked in favor of less-significant white acts. Think of Beyoncé losing album of the year to Beck. Or Lamar losing best rap album to Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Or Beyoncé losing album of the year — again — to Adele, who in her acceptance speech at this year’s ceremony basically tried to correct the academy, saying she couldn’t take the award from the singer responsible for “Lemonade.”

So are these awards based on quality or *importance*, whatever that means? Because all those winners make better music than the losers.

by Anonymousreply 211/28/2017

Kendrick Lamar is musically better than Macklemore. No credible person would say otherwise. Macklemore even essentially says it.

by Anonymousreply 311/28/2017

[quote]Or Lamar losing best rap album to Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.

The travesty of the century. The Grammys may never recover from that.

by Anonymousreply 411/28/2017

The GOP, so white and trashy.

They won’t stop until the whole world is a racist pig sty at war.

by Anonymousreply 511/28/2017

Good nominations

by Anonymousreply 611/28/2017

Great to see Childish Gambino nominated

by Anonymousreply 711/28/2017

You better be union if ya' wanna work in this town, R3

by Anonymousreply 811/28/2017

Glad to see Ed Sheeran snubbed except for 2 noms in the Pop category. His Divide album was a snooze fest and inferior to his last album. I expect Taylor Swift's Reputation album to receive similar treatment next year.

by Anonymousreply 911/28/2017

who the fuck cares

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2017

Clearly nobody since there are only 10 responses here, including two of mine. Grammies lost steam long ago. Probably right after Lennon and Ono won theirs after he'd been killed.

by Anonymousreply 1111/28/2017

Are Selena Gomez’ “Bad Liar” song and video that unimpressive? I adore both, but no love from the VMAs, AMAs and now, the Grammys. Clearly, the answer is yes; however, I am looking for an explanation from folks who know music.

by Anonymousreply 1211/28/2017

It is going to be interesting to see what the ratings look like. I thought I read a few years ago the rock and pop still outsell rap and hip hop, but I could be wrong or that could gave been a few years ago. Anyone up to date on that?

by Anonymousreply 1311/28/2017

I ain’t watching this shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 1411/28/2017

My old music lovin' heart weeps.

by Anonymousreply 1511/28/2017

Yeah, I'm one of those that lived for pop music once upon a time. And the Grammies would reflect that, at least some of the time (see "Graceland", Madonna's "Ray of Light", etc.) Now the only one I own on that entire list is Lana del Rey's "Lust for Life" and I am amazed to see it there.

by Anonymousreply 1611/28/2017

This will be the first Grammy telecast I skip in almost 50 years. I guess I'm officially over the hills. Way, way over.

by Anonymousreply 1711/28/2017

R7 Agreed! Couldn't be mothafuckin' happier dat Childish Gambinos gotz nominaterd! Hell to the mothafuckin' yeah! Fuck dem white bitches, we gonna get back what dey donez by winning dey awards! Hahaha white hoez don'ts even knows!

by Anonymousreply 1811/28/2017

[quote]It is going to be interesting to see what the ratings look like. I thought I read a few years ago the rock and pop still outsell rap and hip hop, but I could be wrong or that could gave been a few years ago. Anyone up to date on that?

Rap officially surpassed Pop this year to become the most popular music genre. Pop is now #2.

by Anonymousreply 1911/28/2017

Hip hop rules the charts and radio. Cool

by Anonymousreply 2011/28/2017

Gaga! Nominations for “Joanne” and “Million Reasons.” Hopefully she will perform at the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 2111/28/2017

fuck the grammys

by Anonymousreply 2211/28/2017

I like a few of the songs but most of it is repetitive garbage.

by Anonymousreply 2311/28/2017

I'm so clever!

Won't someone please SHIT IN MY MOUTH????

by Anonymousreply 2411/28/2017

I'm surprised that Harry Styles got zero nominations when he was clearly trying to get some with his album. I guess he didn't make a big enough splash.

Glad that Shawn Mendes was snubbed again with his trash music.

by Anonymousreply 2511/28/2017

The Grammys mean very little these days but I still like pretending they're important.

I'm really happy Kesha scored a couple of noms. She sang the living shit out of 'Praying' and deserves to win Best Pop Vocal Performance.

Album of the Year is guaranteed to go to Kendrick, who most think should have won over Tay Tay's '1989.'

R9 Nah. She's a shoe-in for Album of the Year on sales and reviews alone, and by extension Best Pop Album. Not sure how future singles will fare but I don't see 'Look What You Made Me Do' getting any love.

by Anonymousreply 2611/28/2017

Do you find Negros threatening, OP?

Because it sure sounds like you do.

by Anonymousreply 2711/28/2017

I’ll skip this year.

by Anonymousreply 2811/28/2017

Harry Styles should have been nominated for Album of the Year... Bastards!

by Anonymousreply 2911/28/2017

So many NO talents nominated this year.

by Anonymousreply 3011/28/2017

Rap sucks my donkey dick.

by Anonymousreply 3111/28/2017

Ed Sheeran's Shape of You should have been nominated for either song of the year or record of the year, maybe both.

by Anonymousreply 3211/28/2017

Totally agree

by Anonymousreply 3311/28/2017

Ha ha Despacito will never ever die

by Anonymousreply 3411/28/2017

r12, Julia Michaels wrote that song and is a ghost singer for Selena. Julia was rewarded by getting a BNA nom and a nom for her other song "Issues". It is well known in the industry Selena Gomez doesn't actually sing on her albums, it is Michaels or Charli XCX and there is another girl for her newer song.

by Anonymousreply 3511/28/2017

What about the Latin Grammy's. Who's up for Gangsta of the Year?

by Anonymousreply 3611/28/2017

Thank God there are still movies. You can have the Grammys but leave my goddam Oscars alone.

by Anonymousreply 3711/28/2017

It’s just a matter of time until Superheroes and Cartoons completely take over the Oscars like they’ve taken over the box office.

Everything is shit.

by Anonymousreply 3811/28/2017

Y’all are so old and uncool. Unreal

by Anonymousreply 3911/28/2017

R39 LOL. Like all you whippersnappers think the Grammys are cool. Go back to your fucking MTV Music Awards and leave the rest of us to our Tony Bennetts and Percy Faiths. Fucking jive ass turkeys!

by Anonymousreply 4011/28/2017

Thanks R35. I had no idea!

by Anonymousreply 4111/28/2017

The article and author are insufferable. Mikael Wood is as arrogant as any quasi-journalist out there. There aren't differing opinions; he's right. And so fashionable to declare that Beyonce is God -- when her albums and songs have piles of writers and musicians. She's got some talent, but fair play to people who think better of the performers who write their songs, play instruments.

by Anonymousreply 4211/28/2017

Lana is nominated!!! Yay!

by Anonymousreply 4311/28/2017

[quote]And so fashionable to declare that Beyonce is God -- when her albums and songs have piles of writers and musicians. She's got some talent, but fair play to people who think better of the performers who write their songs, play instruments.I

R42 thinks Doris Day, Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Whitney Houston, and Bing Crosby were undeserving hacks.

by Anonymousreply 4411/28/2017

Will #GrammysSoBlack be trending? I'm joking but, honestly, blacks only make up 13% of the population in the country so why isn't it strange when they get way more than 13% of the award nominations? I'm not forgetting that black people are treated like shit and have a ton of stuff going against them in America but, right now, I'm just talking about award percentages and the strange idea that if a group that represents 13% of the population gets anything less than 50-60% of the award noms, it's because everyone is racist.

by Anonymousreply 4511/28/2017

R45 I don't think so simply because American music is essentially black music.

by Anonymousreply 4611/28/2017

Are American movies essentially black movies? #oscarssowhite

by Anonymousreply 4711/29/2017

You have to wonder if ass-kissing white people like this journalist have considered the fact, that if every position of power and privilege must now go to someone who isn't white, then they will also be getting replaced by people who are more *significant* at some point.

by Anonymousreply 4811/29/2017

[quote] that if every position of power and privilege must now go to someone who isn't white

Sigh. Straight white males no longer being in charge of everything is not an attack on white people. No one is trying to commit genocide to the "white race" dear.

Just relax and take a breather from alt-right propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 4911/29/2017

So, R49, if we're going from straight while males to non-white people, when do white women get their turn? It's always strange to me that white women get treated as if the privilege of white males has just been completely shared by white women. Some have benefited from being straight, white male adjacent but that came with huge costs to their autonomy and self-actualization as full human beings almost universally until late in the 20th century. In parts of America, women were still considered their father's and then their husband's property until the 1970s and were not considered legally able to do anything. Even her children were the husband's property. Everyone should just be aware of that when discussing racial and sex dynamics.

by Anonymousreply 5011/29/2017

Yes, R50. My mother never forgave Hudson's Department store from taking her credit card away when she married in the 60s. And that was just the small stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5111/29/2017

R51, I bet almost no one in America realizes that stuff was going on so recently. It's why I get so angry when women are just included in the privileged class simply because they're white.

by Anonymousreply 5211/29/2017

Black music is often the majority of what’s hot and popular

by Anonymousreply 5311/30/2017

R53 kind of like their cocks?

by Anonymousreply 5411/30/2017

Yes, R52. If white women are as privileged across the board as third wavers claim, there would be no reason for them to engage in entryism as they do, or in fact claim feminism at all. They would just organize as poc or trans people or sex workers. Instead they push the cognitive dissonance of "no shared girlhood" and demanding that white women simultaneously see themselves as irredeemable oppressors and sharing interests with trans-identified males and woc. The mind games remind me of fundie churches - they gaslight and guilt-trip the people without whom their organizations cannot function, as a majority of western women are white.

by Anonymousreply 5511/30/2017

It doesn't have to make sense. It only has to manipulate well-meaning saps to cater to them.

by Anonymousreply 5612/07/2017

nope r49 — there is unquestionably a retributive vein to millennial POC activism. They are angry and they want to see heads roll in name of collective justice even if it means individuals suffer injustices. Be sure to check out recent scandal at university of Texas. student paper published an op ed that asserted that white death was only way to “our liberation.” Oh in case anyone thought this was a metaphor for white identity op ed made it clear that the problem was “white dna.” So no. There are intersectional activists who do want to kill whites.

by Anonymousreply 5712/07/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!