Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Post: Official Thread #1

The initial reaction to it is generally positive. It looks certain that Meryl will get an Oscar nomination but it’s up in the air if she’ll actually get #4, tying the record with Hepburn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2018 5:17 AM

This is pretty funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2017 3:06 PM

[quote] what Meryl Streep does in this movie, building a narrative about her character with each line, move, and gesture, is, even by her standards, astounding.

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2017 4:16 PM

[quote] Streep has multiple line-readings that remind you why she's Meryl Goddamn Streep.

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2017 4:17 PM

[quote] Elegant and efficient until it turns clumsy/corny at end. Streep fantastic (miraculously understated), Hanks very Hanksy and not particularly interesting. Wanted more Kay Graham, less familiar newspaper heroics.

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2017 4:19 PM

(Looking for a pan of Streep's performance, but can't fine one yet.)

[quote] And yes it’s the best Streep in ages. --- Alissa Wilkinson

by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2017 4:24 PM

Fun fact-Spielberg totally cut out a 10 minute sequence set at the Black & White Ball in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2017 6:54 PM

Hanks won Best Actor from the NBR? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2017 7:27 PM

And Meryl won Best Actress. Yep. Here we go.

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2017 7:29 PM

And The Post wins Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2017 7:31 PM

#4 could be possible? At least she will get another nomination and probably Golden Globe.

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2017 7:33 PM

She’s a lock for the Globe. And probably neck and neck for the Oscar. Of course when Trump trashes her and The Post she’ll have it in the bag.

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2017 7:37 PM

When do screeners go out for award season?

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2017 7:42 PM

Very soon, R12. Some are already out. The Post is obviously already being aggressive about getting the SAG Award for Outstanding Cast of a Motion Picture in addition to Streep, Hanks and Odenkirk. Screeners will probably arrive for all SAG members the week after Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2017 7:48 PM

I could cut a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2017 8:30 PM

Jesus even Kyle Smith liked it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2017 9:26 PM

^^^ Thanks for posting that. But we need to highlight this:

[quote] Meryl Streep finds yet another gear. She is the greatest actress in Hollywood history.

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2017 9:43 PM

Well, she IS.

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2017 1:46 AM

My money's still on Frances McDormand for the win.

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2017 2:25 AM

I think that ship has sailed, R18. I don’t get the backlash against Three Billboards already but there is one.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2017 2:27 AM

The RottenTomatoes score has just been assigned to it a couple of minutes ago. Read the reviews and marvel. Or despair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2017 2:17 PM

On Streep's acting, from TheWrap:

[quote]It’s unusual to see Meryl Streep playing a woman lacking in self-confidence, but over the course of the film, we see this socialite bloom from quiet and reticent to outspoken and firm in her convictions. (As portrayed here, this is a woman who changed the course of American history while wearing a gold caftan.)

[quote]This is by definition a quieter character than Margaret Thatcher and Julia Child and other real-life characters Streep has tackled, but her work here is some of her most riveting; the way Kay avoids conflict, and then later leans into it, offers Streep new ways to captivate.

I want a gold caftan now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2017 2:21 PM

Even if she wins, she won't tie Hepburn--Hepburn won all four in the leading category. Our Meryl has one in Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2017 2:29 PM

If this is the best movie of the year then I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2017 2:30 PM

the film looks awful and contrived...like all Spielberg films

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2017 3:13 PM

No SoSo Ronan is getting the Oscar. Bet on it.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2017 3:16 PM

Terrible name for a movie.

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2017 3:18 PM

Video review by Ben Mankiewicz, Alonso Duralde, and Christy Lemire. Raves, apart from some cheesy scenes that Spielberg is known for. However, none of them gave it more than 8.4 so they don't find it as good as I, Tonya even. Kinda shocked at that.

Fun fact: Ben met most of the characters in the movie as a kid. He also finds it curious that Meryl didn't get a SAG nom because he was at the SAG screening and everyone loved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2017 12:29 AM

I think Ronan is going to win also. It’ll be her third nomination plus the Academy loooves younger actresses to win in best actress category.

That being said I’m a Streep maniac and can’t wait to see The Post.

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2017 12:38 AM

Hepburn won HALF an Oscar when she tied with Babs.

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2017 7:02 PM

Trump White House Asks to Screen Steven Spielberg's 'The Post'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 5, 2018 5:52 PM

Which begs the question, WHY?

by Anonymousreply 31January 5, 2018 6:53 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 7, 2018 9:53 PM

Looking it up 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘗𝘰𝘴𝘵 could be retitled 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘜𝘯𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘥.

Release Date: December 22, 2017 Domestic Total as of Jan. 7, 2018: $3,849,656 (Estimate) t

Production Budget: $50 million

by Anonymousreply 33January 7, 2018 9:59 PM

Margot Robbie will win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 34January 7, 2018 10:02 PM

There won't be a second thread. Retire, you anti-semite-loving bitch! Yes Spielberg has gladly worked with anti-semites before like that self-hating anti-Israel Jew Tony Kushner, and he just cut a check to Roald Dahl's estate to help Disney produce The BFG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 7, 2018 10:05 PM

It will win the GG tonight. And so will Meryl. Suck it, haters.

by Anonymousreply 36January 7, 2018 10:06 PM

R33, The Post is only playing on 36 screens, up 27 from last week, so that’s actually a pretty impressive take; I saw it this morning at a 10am showing at the 1 theatre in Dallas it’s playing at and the show was packed.

by Anonymousreply 37January 7, 2018 10:07 PM

R33 You realize it was just in slightly wider release as of this Friday the 5th, right?

The showing I went to yesterday was completely full, and it was a matinee. It still is not in true "wide" release until next Friday, January 12.

Hard to see a movie when it ain't in the fuckin' theater, Toots.

by Anonymousreply 38January 7, 2018 10:07 PM

I never saw this guy before seeing him in the Post but damn, he's sexy as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 7, 2018 10:11 PM

[quote] It will win the GG tonight.

So did Pia Zadora.

by Anonymousreply 40January 7, 2018 10:15 PM

Nicole or Jess?

by Anonymousreply 41January 7, 2018 10:23 PM

Here is some of the most dishonest filmmaking of Spielberg’s career: There are strategically placed blacks and women in nearly every scene (though not on the Post’s editorial board — shades of Spotlight). The storyline seems slapdash, TV-movieish but without the urgency of a revelation that needed to be rushed to the screen in order to capture an important political moment. Spielberg never had Larry Cohen’s B-movie, tabloid genius, and he’s lost the feel for the zeitgeist that Morrissey has rediscovered. Instead, the film swings into feminist groveling. Streep is at her most obnoxiously “unassuming” when the Supreme Court sanctions the Post’s defiance of President Nixon’s effort to obstruct the paper’s publication. It’s cringe-inducing to watch Streep maneuver down the steps of the Supreme Court into radiant sunlight while throngs of women beam at her as if she were Hillary Clinton incarnate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 7, 2018 10:41 PM

Good God, some of you contrarian bitches here are so fucking tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 43January 7, 2018 11:12 PM

It's a great movie. Though I think she won't get it, because it's such obvious Oscar bait, given the current political/media atmosphere and Trump's frontal attack on the press, and the #MeToo...

And Meryl is a sublime actress, though I hate when people call her the greatest -- not to say anything about her talent, but how many actresses above a certain age get the same opportunities/offers/scripts that Meryl does? Alas, no one said life is fair...

by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2018 12:25 AM

Meryl’s absolutely wonderful in this film. Her work will be acknowledged.

by Anonymousreply 45January 8, 2018 12:26 AM

Spielberg just can't resist piling on the schlock when he deals with history -- apart from Munich, which is one of his underrated films.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2018 11:15 PM

[quote] Meryl’s absolutely wonderful in this film. Her work will be acknowledged.

Any awards won't be for her "work", it would be for her politics. We've seen it before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2018 11:26 PM

So Meryl Streep is playing Katherine Graham, Tom Hanks is playing Ben Bradlee, and the Washington Post is playing The New York Times?

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2018 11:52 PM

Meryl isn’t getting anything for this middle of the road pic. Her major stumbles with the #metoo movement have tarnished her shine, and it’s an okay performance that any elder actress could do.

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2018 12:40 AM

She’s fourth on Goldderby and handily eclipsed by Saoirse, Mc Dormand, and Hawkins. She’s not even in the running. No one is talking about Meryl for the win other then the tired delusional queens at DL.

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2018 12:45 AM

I saw it tonight.

That caftan! It drove me to distraction, honestly.

I'm glad I was able to follow along. Having watched Ken Burns' documentary this summer helped tremendously in knowing a lot of what was mentioned.

It's sad, actually, that we have these same sort of circumstances now in regard to the asshole in the WH.

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2018 7:56 AM

by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2018 2:13 PM

Meh. Spotlight -- same genre -- was better, and the conversations were more believable. Sometimes when I was listening to the dialogue, I knew it was for dramatic effect and not what was really said.

And I never get Meryl Streep . . . every time I'm watching her, I know I'm watching Meryl Streep playing whoever.

by Anonymousreply 53January 15, 2018 3:51 AM

[quote]the Washington Post is playing The New York Times?

No, dear. The New York Times is playing the New York Times, and its publisher and editor are featured in the screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2018 1:25 AM

One picky inaccuracy: When Ben Bagdikian (Bob Odenkirk) goes outside to use the pay phone, he's clearly NOT in Washington -- there are no buildings as tall as the ones shown in the background allowed in DC.

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2018 1:26 AM

I am not going to watch this movie. Every time I see Meryl "acting" on screen and being all technical and using her old tricks and tweaks I feel like I wanna punch her hard and break her nose.

by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2018 1:29 AM

[quote]Meh. Spotlight -- same genre -- was better, and the conversations were more believable. Sometimes when I was listening to the dialogue, I knew it was for dramatic effect and not what was really said.

Both The Post and Spotlight were written by the same guy: Josh Singer.

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2018 1:35 AM

I saw it today and really enjoyed it. It starts out slow but then picks up steam and ends up thrilling. Streep is very understated and does a great job. She has several amazing moments and her collaboration with Spielberg is successful. Hanks is also very good, along with Odenkirk, Letts, etc. It's a great tonic in the toxic age of Trump, and the audience applauded at the end.

by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2018 2:45 AM

#42 nails it. I feel that scenes were added or redone to turn it into a #metoo movie.

by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2018 2:52 AM

Didn't they finish the editing before the #metoo movement started? I think that was always the intent, to focus on Kay Graham's story. It's Spielberg,of course it will be a little sentimental. The best scene is when she tells off a board member. Classic

by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2018 2:57 AM

boring.....couldnt get thru it.

hanks and streep in this one are oy....vanilla.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2018 3:02 AM

I recommend watching it in a movie theater

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 16, 2018 3:07 AM

I just saw it last night and was happy to see how understatedly Streep playedthe character, growing little by little, line by line until she had matured by the end, but not in a Rocky Balboa way, but in a more realistic way

by Anonymousreply 63January 17, 2018 8:03 PM

I was one of the naysayers who derided it as a shameless Oscar bait. Well, I'm watching a cam version now (it's not playing in my shithole) and Meryl - in my opinion - earned her Oscar nomination merely 15 minutes into the movie, with the most delicate of gestures after Hanks tells her to butt out. It took my breath away and I keep rewinding it. She truly is the master.

I can't wait to see if the rest of the movie contains more gems like these.

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2018 3:15 PM

Finally saw it and enjoyed it. Trump is so much like Nixon, he must hate this film

by Anonymousreply 65August 31, 2018 4:54 AM

[quote] Trump is so much like Nixon

Not even close.

How old are you, R65? Your comment seems to indicate that you are very young and know very, very little about Richard Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 66August 31, 2018 5:00 AM

r66 I am 42 so Nixon was President before my time. Why do you say that? Nixon was more intelligent?

by Anonymousreply 67August 31, 2018 5:04 AM

It was better than I expected and I am not a fan of either Streep or Hanks. I wish they would both go away for 2-3 years.

I thought the best scene was where Mrs. Graham reminds Bradlee about his oh so close relationship with President John F Kennedy and asks him (Bradlee) how his judgement and integrity as a newspaper man was compromised during those years.

by Anonymousreply 68August 31, 2018 5:04 AM

I want to know more about Phil Graham's suicide. Then his son also committed suicide shortly before this movie was released.

by Anonymousreply 69August 31, 2018 5:16 AM

[quote] ...so Nixon was President before my time. Why do you say that? Nixon was more intelligent?

Nixon was a very smart man. He was also deeply flawed with an inferiority complex which made him suspicious and jealous of others. Those qualities led to his downfall.

Do most people know that when he became President, Nixon was determined to implement National Health Care? As a boy, one of his brothers became ill and that illness had a huge negative impact on his family's lives and financial situation. He was stymied in his plan for National Health Care by TEDDY KENNEDY. Yes, old Teddy stopped it. (Don't take my word for it, you can find about that by your own research.)

Nixon served in the Navy in WWII and became a Congressman in the same class as JFK.

And, they both were elected to the Senate the same year.

Nixon was far from a perfect man and made many many serious mistakes during his Presidency. He was painfully awkward and given the disadvantages of his youth was suspicious and probably jealous of those (like the Kennedys) who appeared to live life and have political advantages due to their wealth, family connections and charm.

But to compare him to Trump is so far beyond any semblance of reason that it must only come from someone woefully lacking in any knowledge of the man.

by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2018 5:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!