Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie

Anyone else watch tonight? Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 14Last Friday at 4:38 AM

Omg YES!

by Anonymousreply 111/24/2017

So I take it none of you bitches enjoy 90s nostalgia? Bitches!

by Anonymousreply 211/25/2017

Missed it, will have to find it online.

I grew up with Football Head and Rugrats too.

by Anonymousreply 311/25/2017

I saw it, and had mixed emotions...

For me a large part of the charm of HA! was the urban loucheness, the way the stories unfolded in their own time. I didn’t get that with the frenetic Jungle movie.

This will be an unpopular opinion but I also disliked Arnold’s reciprocation of Helga’s feelings. I understand fans desperately wanted closure and that Arnold had demonstrated a flicker of interest in Helga during the series, but this climactic get-together in the Jungle movie didn’t do that immensely slow & strong build justice. It felt rushed & contrived to me, and I preferred Helga’s open-ended confession of love in the first movie as it felt more true-to-life (which is what HA! was all about).

Another unique ‘magic ingredient’ of the show was the brilliance that is Helga, as I feel her frustrations powered the story. Her passion was a force all on its own, that made her creative & resilient & deep. I was waiting for the moment she realised she didn’t need Arnold anymore. to catalyse her into being an intelligent or driven artist or scholar, but sadly that didn’t happen. Now she has her man, that power is gone.

But I guess it’s over now, so it doesn’t matter unless there’s a reboot.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Thursday at 7:04 AM

Helga was best as Arnold's bully and pining for him when nobody was looking (well, except the heavy breathing kid).

by Anonymousreply 5Last Thursday at 7:37 AM

I haven't even seen the movie, but please tell me you're joking R4. He reciprocates her feelings? Not only does it make zero sense from a logical standpoint (she's an ugly, bitchy bulldyke who treats everyone like shit) but it basically ruins her character's purpose. Her whole "thing" was the "angry bitch concealing the hopeless romantic within" bit.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Thursday at 8:47 AM

I thought Arnold has a crush on some other girl? At least that was the case on the TV show. Him having feelings for Helga does seem forced with that in mind.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Thursday at 8:49 AM

Btw, for those who are into the douchey hipster Millennial look, here's Lane Toran (voice of Arnold) today:

It's hard to tell, but it looks like there might be a hottie hiding behind the beard and hair.

by Anonymousreply 8Last Thursday at 8:50 AM

I was right! Here he is without the beard:

by Anonymousreply 9Last Thursday at 8:52 AM

I kinda liked this show more for the relaxing jazz tones throughout the show, but i hated the grandpa's voice.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Thursday at 10:28 AM

Loved it for the urban feel of the show, for over the top Helga, and the "gather around ..." moments.

Arnold, on his own, was a quite the bland character even with his background of being an orphan raised by his grandparents. And yet he kept it all together like glue. Loved how he hardly ever reacted to Helga's bullying.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Thursday at 9:33 PM

Is Arnold a homosexual?

by Anonymousreply 12Last Thursday at 9:35 PM

R11 I remember Arnold did snap on his friends’ bullshit a couple times at least, and they just never listened to his advice. But yeah, most of the time he was Ask Abby; nice but incredibly bland. Gerald used to call him “a bold kid” and I would be like huh?

by Anonymousreply 13Last Friday at 2:58 AM

I'm debating on whether or not to watch this, I don't think Hey Arnold! needed a movie and want to remember things the way they were. I'm curious but don't want to be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Friday at 4:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!