Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Adam Sandler is an excellent actor when he wants to be

Just watched The Meyerowitz Stories on Netflix.

Not the best movie I've ever seen but better than most. Say 4 stars out of 5.

But Adam Sandler.

He's very good in it. Has range. Doesn't show any sign of the goofball characters he usually plays.

He had a movie 15 years ago called "Punch Drunk Love" where he also showed off his acting chops--another fairly serious role.

So why does he do bad goofball comedies?

The money? The fact that there aren't many roles for average looking middle aged guys and he knows his goofball characters will always be a box office hit?

DLers, what's your theory?

by Anonymousreply 21August 30, 2018 4:54 AM

He does a good job in Spanglish.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2017 1:02 AM

Because with shitty movies, he gets paid three times as much being the writer - Exec producer, actor, and sometimes director.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2017 1:15 AM

I think he likes goofing off with his friends filming and also giving them work

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2017 1:17 AM

R3, for some reason he doesn't come off as goofing on the set type. Something about him screams it's all just business most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2017 1:21 AM

He donated money to Rudy Giuliani's 2008 presidential campaign.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2017 1:26 AM

R5 is a tattletale.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2017 1:28 AM

I suppose that does describe what I was doing, yes.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2017 1:30 AM

Adam is a kind person. Has spoken out in favor of gay rights and Jews (yes, I know he is Jewish). Gave Winona Ryder her first job in one of his movies after no one would touch her because of the shoplifting trial incident. Seems to be benevolent and good natured on the whole.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2017 1:30 AM

One of my favorites spots with Adam in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2017 1:34 AM

I'm sure all that is true R8, but given that he really can act, why do you think he doesn't get cast more often?

Because he has a specific non-leading man look, or because he'd rather be doing his comedies, which, as per R2, he makes a whole lot of money on.

I'm asking because it seems that most good actors veer the other way-- taking on roles without major payoffs that fulfill their artistic needs and get them critical acclaim.

Or is Adam Sandler just the honey badger of actors?

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2017 1:34 AM

Sexy in an offbeat way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2017 1:35 AM

Just because he CAN act doesn't mean he likes to. It's probably only of passing interest. He probably has to be seduced to do these acting gigs by directors or co-stars or something like that. He seems at heart to be a comedian who wants to please his comedy film audience and cash his checks. Good life.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2017 1:41 AM

I guess that's what's surprising R12-- most people who can act seem to enjoy doing serious acting and getting the critical raves.

Though your theory is probably correct-- he'd rather be making people laugh and the fact that he's a good serious actor is just a lucky strike extra.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2017 1:46 AM

Adam is not exactly a versatile actor so therefore he sticks to comedy which is his forte.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2017 1:46 AM

Adam Sandler and wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2017 1:56 AM

Just watched The Meyerowitz Stories. Sandler is excellent but Elizabeth Marvel absolutely deserved an Oscar nomination over Mary J. Blige, Octavia Spencer and even Allison Janney.

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2018 2:18 AM

Agreed Sandler has real talent. But he also does some pretty terrible movies for no reason. If he applied himself to it earlier in his career, he possibly could have been one of the greats

by Anonymousreply 17August 30, 2018 2:22 AM

Sorry, but this is still my favorite Adam Sandler scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 30, 2018 2:32 AM

I thought "Happy Gilmore" & "Billy Madison" were solidly funny, and "8 Crazy Nights" made me laugh a few times, but the rest.... UGH I'll go to my grave trying to decide which was worse: "Punch Drunk Love" or "Pixels".

by Anonymousreply 19August 30, 2018 3:27 AM

Sandler’s dramatic films are the ones least likely to make lots of money, even though his dramatic performances are generally pretty good. He probably tries to balance his money-making films alongside personally fulfilling projects.

It’s interesting to see what he’s done with his Netflix producing deal - I believe The Meyerwitz Stories is one of the films produced under that partnership. His output has been hit or miss, but each project is distinct and he stretches himself more than he did in his box office movies. When making films for cinematic release, there is probably a lot of pressure to stick to proven formulas: for Sandler that probably means goofy voiced characters with explosive personalities.

by Anonymousreply 20August 30, 2018 3:44 AM

I thought Sandler was one of the weaker links in the Meyerowitz movie along with the daughter. I thought Elizabeth Marvel and, surprisingly, Candice Bergen blew the rest of the cast out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 21August 30, 2018 4:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!