Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hanging out with my aged mother on a Saturday night.

We are watching Sanford And Son. Jealous bitches ?

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2018 9:09 AM

This is what I imagine most DLers lives are like.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2017 10:35 PM

It’s ok, on occasion. Besides, I’d give a kidney to hang out with my late mother again. Yes, I’m jealous!

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2017 10:40 PM

Nope, thanks to years of opportunities to do so with my mom and grandma.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2017 10:41 PM

I love that colored show !!!! That Aunt Ester is such a card !!! I be in real life she is a Godly Christian woman !!!

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2017 10:41 PM

My grandmother was kind of a grumpy old bat, but we bonded over WCW "rasslin' " on Saturday afternoons. Of course, we were both watching it for the mens.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2017 10:44 PM

OP, yes.

My mother 'died' when I was 10 years of age: my mother had given me to foster care because of her alcoholism. My father had died; she couldn't cope with the loss. She thought she was doing the right thing.

Now that I have a loving partner and young children, I understand the trauma of the circumstances. Though she'd passed away years ago, without our reuniting, I wish I could comfort her, letting her know I now understand the choice she'd made.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2017 10:52 PM

You are doing a very good deed, OP. When she is gone you will remember this evening and wish it back.

This is the real, elemental stuff of being a human on earth, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2017 10:59 PM

Yes, I'm jealous. I'd do anything to have my Mom back, and be able to watch 'Dancing with the Stars' with her and listen to her withering criticism. Enjoy your time with Mom, OP. It won't last forever.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2017 11:02 PM

Thanks guys I though you would be more rude about how loserish my life seems. I love my mother and she really the last family I have left so I do try to appreciate the time we have left. I also really love Sandford and Son. I cannot believe how well it has aged and how funny it still is. The theme song is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2017 11:10 PM

That theme song is my ring tone.

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2017 11:32 PM

Hot Saturday night!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2017 11:32 PM

R6. i am glad you have your "happy ending" i cannot even imagine what you felt at 10yrs old losing your home and family. my god its really beyond something i can even think of and i did not have a great childhood. so glad you have a happy life now

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2017 11:48 PM

My late Mom and I used to watch Keeping Up Appearances....I can still hear her laugh.

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2017 11:58 PM

No, not jealous, but I do think, if true, you're a good son and I hope mom appreciates you.

If you were straight you'd be considered a catch to women. The saying is if a man is good to his mother he's most likely a good man in general. If he lives with this mother run away from him as quickly as you can.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2017 12:35 AM

R4 or "Mamie" I think you need to reevaluate the God fearing perception of Lawanda Page

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2017 12:42 AM

R14: The saying is if a man is good to his mother he's most likely a good man in general.

This is true of moose as well.

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2017 12:52 AM

Me and my mom love watching Sanford together too!

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2017 12:55 AM

So, BILL-- why'd you stop using ALL CAPS?

And I never figured Ruth for a Redd Foxx fan.

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2017 1:08 AM

This is sweet & wholesome content, it’s heartening to see some men treat the women in their lives well. Makes me feel like a degenerate...

I haven’t been getting along with my post-Menopausal, martyr mother for several years now, since she swept a major illness of mine under the carpet and also refused to deal with her own grief-related issues which pretty much tanked my educational progress & career track. I’m still dealing with the fallout of her good intentions and I’m finding it very hard to let go or forgive her. She knows I’m livid and says it’s all me.

She’s a good, moral, ‘nice’ woman but I honestly can’t stand spending time with her like OP and haven’t been able to since I graduated HS. I’m too angry with her and I find her general personality too enraging. She will never face up to any discord or dysfunction in her life, and I can’t stay with her in Happy Valley. I would love to heal our relationship but she isn’t willing to acknowledge her part in the situation she has created or be emotionally available enough to discuss her own feelings/truth etc. I can’t do her work on fixing our family relationship when she won’t make any effort to resolve her past or see the present reality as it is - that her daughter is grown up, gay, and doesn’t want to live like an protocol droid.

I live in fear of her getting sick or needing care tbh; she is not yet 60 and fairly healthy but has a serious thyroid issue controlled by drugs as well as a family history of Diabetes & pulmonary, and I am the eldest/gay daughter who doesn’t intend to have kids. Even her having a cold or getting under the weather sends me into a dark depressive spiral where I panic about being stuck as her...carer (shudder).

I would love to quietly & gradually phase her out, and if that makes me a bitter hag or a monster sobeit. I don’t wish her harm or ill or discomfort and I hope she lives long & well, into her retirement. I just don’t want to be around for it, and want her subtle emotional blackmailing & her delusional bullshit out of my life. She’s not my tribe, is the honest situation. But I’m finding it hard to separate physically & emotionally.

There is so much rhetoric here & elsewhere encouraging close constant contact between mothers & adult children but honestly, it’s not always a lifelong possibility. Some things you can’t get over quickly, or ever.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2018 4:27 PM

I'm with you, R19. My mother's been needling me for as long as I can remember, and we went for years on and off without speaking. Now that she's 77, she has toned it down a bit, but I know "the real her," and I am always waiting for some new shit to come out of her mouth.

She loves Trump. She has a crush on Bill O'Reilly. She routinely regurgitates everything she hears on Fox News. As a true deplorable, one cannot reason with her, and I've long since given up trying. She's a horrible gossip and the nosiest person I have ever known. And of course, she is the authority on anything and everything, even though she is a high school dropout.

When she tries to start shit with me now, I calmly say, "I am not going to spend your declining years arguing with my elderly mother." That generally shuts her up.

That said, yes, I envy you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2018 4:42 PM

I could dip your face in batter and make me some gorilla cookies

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2018 5:14 PM

Watch the original Steptoe and Son, it's very dark and troublesome.

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2018 5:15 PM

Tired of it Been doing it for 20 years. My mother is the victim who can never get enough attention from her grown children. I’ve wasted a good chunk of my adulthood caring for her - 25 to 45 and no end in sight. She is a never ending pit of need.

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2018 3:14 AM

How can you have a S&S thread without

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2018 5:22 AM

Weak fathers and domineering mothers cause homosexuality

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2018 7:46 AM

Cherish those moments OP. As you can see, not everyone gets to have them.

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2018 8:44 AM

I would LOVE to be doing what you're doing right now. A blessing.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2018 9:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!