Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Great modern-era foreign songs

DL travelers and global citizens, please advise - who is the modern-day Stevie Nicks of Japan? The Kate Bush of France? The Tori Amos of Italy? The Adele of Argentina? What is the equivalent of Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" in Germany? What song is considered an alternative-style modern masterpiece in China?

I'm a bit tired of English-language songs from Anglo-Saxon countries. It's like living in a bubble, when there's a gigantic diverse musical world out there. Want to expand my musical horizons.

P.S. Please, no trashy Euro-pop or Asian-rap (like the Korean Psy). Quality pop a-la Abba is fine. Especially interested in foreign singer-songwriters.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2018 9:31 PM

I was introduced to the music of Mr. Mabel Matiz on my recent trip to Turkey:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2017 12:13 PM

I also like this French song I heard on the radio recently:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2017 12:13 PM

There's nothing wrong with Eurotrash pop, OP. It can sound great when done correctly:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2017 12:19 PM

I'm not sure if Susanne Sundfør is the Tori Amos of Norway, but she's pretty close to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2017 12:22 PM

Francis Cabrel is a singer songwriter who sings clearly so he is easy to understand if you know some French

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2017 12:44 PM

Carla Bruni is the Jewel of France

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2017 12:52 PM

I think Susanne Sundfør is the Bjork of Norway.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2017 12:57 PM

the italian Lorde, Francesca Michielin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2017 12:57 PM

What is it with Norwegians' fascination with foxes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2017 1:03 PM

From Quebec

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2017 1:04 PM

more from Italy, Meg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2017 1:05 PM

A spanish drag queen singing in french. And it's a great song, actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2017 1:12 PM

There's only two great foreign songs Dominique and Volare....

THAT'S IT

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2017 1:16 PM

Yeah, "Volare" is great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2017 1:35 PM

R5, thank you for reminding me about Francis Cabrel.

I heard his song "Je l'aime à mourir" at an ice skating rink in the Courchevel village in the French Alps. The great French skater Brian Joubert (who I had a crush on as a teen) was performing there and skating to Cabrel's mesmerising guitar song.

It's a shame he isn't more well-known internationally. It must be quite difficult for foreign singers to overcome the audience's language barrier, and get them to fall in love with non-English songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2017 1:44 PM

Though, admittedly, "Je l'aime à mourir" is a song from the late 70s. Still, sounds timeless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2017 1:51 PM

Mylene Farmer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2017 1:51 PM

And again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2017 1:54 PM

R4, Susanne Sundfør really does sound similar to Tori Amos! Those vocal cascades.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2017 2:22 PM

Agreed, R3. Nothing against good quality pop. As long as it's fun and not too simplistic.

Heard this one in Biarritz during the summer of 2012 - Jenifer "Sur le fil". Love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2017 2:42 PM

I like a lot of J-pop/rock songs from the '90s and '00s. There's something endearing about such simple music put to poetic words.

Field of View's 'Kimi Ga Ita Kara' is one of my favorites; it's a mochi-sweet melodramatic pop-rock ballad about someone who can't quite express how deeply they feel undying love for the person they're with. The lyrics are lovely if the music is a bit saccharine.

This is a decent cover of it by rock singer/musical actor Kenta Kamakari.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2018 9:14 AM

Declan O'Rourke is a pretty good singer-songwriter. He's best known outside Ireland for 'Galileo' from his best album 'Since Kyabram' but hasn't had much traction otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2018 10:27 AM

Mylene Farmer is fantastic. I've always loved her. I lived in France in the late 80s and she was huge. She had a Madonna level popularity in France.

Sans contrefacon was the first song I ever heard by her. I still love it to this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2018 10:35 AM

In France : Keren Ann

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2018 10:50 AM

And last summer everybody listened Juliette Armanet !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2018 10:53 AM

This song was pretty much every where in Europe a few years ago. Helene Fischer is basically the Celine Dione of Germany.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2018 11:02 AM

Lara Fabian - the Belgian Celine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2018 11:52 AM

China's Pu Shu isn't bad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2018 11:53 AM

There must be some great K-Pop surely.

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2018 7:58 PM

K-pop has some bangers if you like frantic dance done with the dark insanity of Clown-World, R29.

Imo SHIN-ee totally snap on the vocals and choreo here, even though the melody is all one note and it sounds like pr o gra m ming and it's too sad to watch the video now that Jonghyun's dead. I can't stop listening to it once I start, it's catchy af.

[quote] Loverholic, Robotronic/Geobuhal su eobtneun neoeui maryeokeun LU-CI-FER...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2018 8:14 PM

The best K-pop band are f(x). Those women can work a concept like no-one else.

The RED LIGHT album and title-song are a great starting point. It's weird and dance-y like all K-pop, but with a serious side. Their music and visuals are more engaging than of the other cookie-cutter 'girl-bands' coming out of SM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2018 8:18 PM

Arise by Wolfgang (Philippines)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2018 8:42 PM

Oo by Up Dharma Down (Philippines)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2018 8:47 PM

Lhasa de Sela, sadly died from cancer some few years ago. Very sad song, great viedo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2018 9:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!