Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Guilty- STREISAND!

Listen, I'm old, I am 40- but I'm not THAT old. And this album I remember my parents digging when I was 4-

Holy fuck, I just downloaded the entire fucking thing.

Is this not one of the best pop albums ever?

Holy cow, this is some listenable music.

And the song Guilty, is like CRACK.

And Barry Gibb, you are pretty great too I finally know I am gay. I get this Barbra chick now!!

by Anonymousreply 259June 30, 2018 8:45 PM

So your dad smelled like hamantaschen?

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2017 11:37 PM

So forever, do or die

Kiss hello, no wave goodbye...

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2017 11:38 PM

I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!

NEVER GIVE UP!

NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2017 11:40 PM

I bought it at Record Explosion on 42nd St, right next to Grand Central. Took it home and listened.

I THOUGHT IT WAS THE WORST ALBUM OF BAB'S CAREER.

I'm talking about quality. This must be pointed out to you people since you equate sales with quality.

37 years later I've revised my opinion. It's not the absolute worst of her career.

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2017 11:41 PM

Grammy nominations:

Album Of The Year

"Woman in Love" (written by Barry Gibb and Robin Gibb) Nominated for Best Pop Vocal Performance - Female

Record of the Year

Song of the Year

Won "Guilty" (Duet with Barry Gibb) tBest Pop Vocal Performance - Duo or Group

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2017 11:41 PM

Big Streisand fan but never heard it. But then I think her vocal peak was in On a Clear Day.

Streisand and Lane=Callas and Verdi or Schwarzkopf and Mozart.

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2017 11:43 PM

Life, where the few may not ever find a heaven

I could be with you

Out in a world where nights they don't ever end

We got each other my love, my life, my friend!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2017 11:43 PM

In Barbra's backyard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2017 11:44 PM

Well... It's no FUNNY GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2017 11:44 PM

I wanna be everything you need, babe

And I'm begging you to stay in my heart

A room with a view

There's only a fool there

I will never give up, never give up, never give up!!!!!!!

Read more: Barbra Streisand - Never Give Up Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2017 11:46 PM

r4: I never warmed to GUILTY, either. I had the LP and gave it away - never 'upgraded' to a CD (when CDs were the newest thing)

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2017 11:47 PM

Lies. OP is 80 years old

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2017 11:51 PM

"Woman In Love" is totally Fall 1980 to me when I was 15.

Despite the "love" lyrics, the song has a very menacing sound, almost threatening.

One of my favorite Barbra songs ever, and definitely my fave Barbra album!

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2017 11:51 PM

Wow this stuff sounds like total shit. Yeah the OP has to be 80 and about to die. Must be having conversations with his dead Sicilian relatives.

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2017 11:54 PM

It has a certain darkness about it, despite the white album art and costumes. The rare bright spot is “I Will Never Give Up” but other songs that are supposed to be ‘up’ like “Promises” still seem melancholy and distant to me.

“The Love Inside” is heartbreaking though. My mother played this album non-stop in 1980 when her divorce from my father was finalized.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2017 11:57 PM

Streisand was smart to align herself with two of the biggest pop stars of that era-Donna Summer (big number 1 duet with Babs-No More Tears) and Barry Gibb producing and performing on Guilty. Absolutely love this album. Gibb and Streisand and have the most unexpected but perfect chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2017 11:58 PM

R7! I'm listening to that right now! Promises rules. The first 4 songs are one great song after another.

And fuck you all. I'll be 41 in May.

I am an old soul! :)

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2017 11:58 PM

Yes, Guilty is her best pop "album" and the one where she sounds most comfortable in a modern mode. Gibb did her a great service. Her earlier attempts at covering pop songs or trying to create her own modern pop material sound like an alien trying to communicate with Amy Adams in Arrival.

Guilty was the biggest-selling studio release of Streisand's career, shipping 5 million copies in the United States.. She simultaneously topped the Billboard 200 with the album and the Hot 100 with the single "Woman in Love." The album brought two more top 10 hits: the Grammy Award-winning title song and "What Kind of Fool."

So, when ally you nasty bitches are dead, the great, great grand children you didn't help produce will probably know songs from Guilty more than Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2017 12:02 AM

Oh fuck, Yeah I think Promises may alternate with Guilty as my favorite song.

Not to be critical, but it was almost 1981 when this was released. It had a real 1970's disco vibe, very Bee Gees , which makes sense considering the producer...

Was that a criticism at the time? I am thinking of albums released around that time, like Stevie Nick's Bella Donna ..

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2017 12:03 AM

An old boss turned me onto this album about 30 years ago. I really enjoy it, still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2017 12:08 AM

I respect her, and her talent, but her music does nothing for me. I want it to, but it just won't attach itself. Woman In Love is one of my earliest music memories. I was maybe 3 or 4 when I first heard it, and I only remember it because it made me scared.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2017 12:10 AM

Guilty is my favorite Streisand album. My parents bought it when I was 10, and I listened the hell out of it. I tend to listen to it in the summertime

Run wild out on the edge of time, child

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2017 12:14 AM

Bella Donna, R19? I don’t see the comparison.

Ah, but what an album that was. One of Stevie’s finest.

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2017 12:16 AM

OOPS! Wrong thread!!!

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2017 12:32 AM

I'm 36 and a fan, also I've watched Yentl about 30 times since I was 8.

by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2017 1:09 AM

oh and I'm not even Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2017 1:11 AM

Love the song woman in love. I was 9 when it came out and would sing it at my Cub Scout meetings.

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2017 1:43 AM

I would have been around 11 "Woman in Love" in love hit #1. I think I had the 45. Have not heard it in years so just listened to it YouTube.

I'd forgotten that 11 year old me thought she was singing "it's a ride at the fair" instead of "it's a RIGHT I DEFEND!" Haha

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2017 4:52 AM

Ioved "woman in love" when I was 17, but funnily enough, I never really paid attention to the lyrics till recently when I heard it again. Its a beautiful tune, but the lyrics are shit.

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2017 5:07 AM

Barbra Streisand is like nail on a chalkboard. Plus she's an egomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2017 5:14 AM

What? We're your parents 14?

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2017 5:17 AM

I've always been fascinated by how at the dawn of the '80s, the Bee Gees were basically blacklisted from radio yet their productions continued to be hugely successful up until the mid-'80s - the Guilty album, Dionne Warwick's "Heartbreaker", "Islands in the Stream" by Kenny and Dolly and "Chain Reaction" by Diana Ross was a huge hit in the UK. Nobody wanted to hear them sing anymore; they wanted other people to sing their music.

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2017 5:30 AM

How did that go over, r27?

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2017 6:39 AM

R32 The Bee Gees had a few more top 40 hits in the 80s but nothing like their late 60s through 70s success. I think they suffered from both the disco sucks movement and the out with the old in with the new that happens every changing of the decade to a lot of successful music acts.

Barry Gibb I’m sure recognized that this was coming and was smart to move into the production songwriting end of the business. No denying his talent.

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2017 10:38 AM

The BeeGees were at their peak in 1967 -68 with "To Love Somebody" and "Words".

Their disco stuff is cheap in comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2017 11:00 AM

OP I'm close to your age and I've never been a big Barbra fan, but I like Guilty too. I like most of her pop stuff from the late 70s/early 80s. Prisoner and Left In the Dark are also good.

by Anonymousreply 36November 18, 2017 11:03 AM

This is my favorite song off the album and maybe my favorite song she ever recorded. In those days she sang live with the orchestra. must be such pressure to get it right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2017 1:40 PM

"Love the song "Woman in Love". I was 9 when it came out and would sing it at my Cub Scout meetings."

And after this, you were the "most popular" little Cub Scout in your troop.

*wink-wink*

by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2017 1:52 PM

It's her best pop album, hands down.

The closing track, Make It Like a Memory, is a fucking epic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2017 10:48 PM

“Make it like a memory!!

Make it like a dream unreal...

Make it like we never ever met!

But I can’t forget...

it’s how I feel.”

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2017 10:54 PM

Barry Gibb was hot AF on that album cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2017 11:01 PM

Barry Gibb was hot most of his life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2017 11:07 PM

I was a kid when woman in love came out. I always pretended I was the woman.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2017 11:57 PM

My mom LOVED this album.

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2017 12:01 AM

I'm even older. My favorite song from 1968:

Bee Gees - I've Gotta Get a Message to You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2017 12:23 AM

Her best pop album. The songs were written for her voice, and she gave herself over to Gibb, Galuten and Richardson's production. My favorite is What Kind of Fool and the epic Make It Like A Memory. When they reunited 25 years later for the sequel Guilty Pleasures, her voice was still there, but the songs are mostly mediocre and there's something missing in the production. And by then, Gibb no longer had his brothers as songwriting partners and it shows. The best track is her remake of the Andy Gibb hit (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away, but Gibb as producer screws up the end, fading out way too soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2017 12:31 AM

He did wonders for Dionne too.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2017 12:34 AM

True, r47. "Heartbreaker" put Dionne back on top after a big career lull.

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2017 12:44 AM

My mom played this all the time when I was young. The Love Inside should've been a single. Beautiful song.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2017 12:56 AM

Well, Dionne had a hit with "I'll Never Love This Way Again" in 1979 and "Heartbreaker" kept up her chart momentum in 1982.

The Bee Gees were terrific producers. They knew how to produce for strong female voices. I am surprised they never produced an entire album for Olivia Newton John.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2017 12:57 AM

The thing to know about the Streisand catalogue is that it covers more ground than probably any singer pop to opera, ever. Some like the American song book and b’way ballads- some the pop and others the classical and standards- some the early bravura, some the polished peak in the 70s and early 80s. Some hate her- probably because she’s so damn great they need to. I tend to like selected tracks and songs in each category and era. Not a singer, musician, composer or performer in the business who does not respect her. Two of my favorites are her most recent: Sondheim’s Not a Day Goes By and Losing My Mind- diminished voice still mesmerizing and searing in person. She sang Losing My Mind at the 2016 NYC Clinton event and half the room cried. There will never be another like her.

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2017 12:59 AM

It's too bad the Bee Gees never worked with Donna Summer. That would've been something

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2017 12:59 AM

r50 ONJ sang Carried Away - a discard from Guilty - on her Physical album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2017 1:07 AM

This is her best pop album by far. Very well done, great idea, beautifully executed.

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2017 1:08 AM

I'm the biggest ONJ fan there is. My favorite song she does is a Bee Gee song. Come on Over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2017 1:12 AM

r55 that is a great cover. I am surprised that considering her connection to Andy and being one of the biggest female singers of the '70s and early '80s they didn't work more together.

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2017 1:14 AM

r46, I concur. I had read a couple great reviews of the Guilty reunion, but I found it soporific at best.

Sometimes you just can't go home again.

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2017 1:24 AM

Barry Gibb's demos for Guilty are pretty great as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2017 1:26 AM

Joan Baez covers The Love Inside

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2017 1:50 AM

I love Joan's voice. It's one of my favorites. Possibly even my favorite. Unfortunately she does about four songs I like.

by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2017 1:56 AM

Joan's voice is beautiful, but I'll admit I find it more or less devoid of emotion.

I always remember a story Marianne Faithfull told: she was with a bunch of sixties superstars around the time that Dylan was huge, and everyone was snide about Joan Baez singing old-school folk. Marianne Faithfull fell in line with everyone else until she heard Baez sing for a small group of them. She was completely awed.

by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2017 2:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2017 2:06 AM

Joan Baez has a great voice but she's a rock/folk singer. They aren't overtly emotional when they sing in the same way as a showboater like Streisand or Garland.

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2017 5:18 AM

Still I would have killed for a Barry Gibb produced album from Baez. Sometime around the time Guilty was released.

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2017 5:21 AM

those would be two very odd styles to put together

by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2017 5:25 AM

If she gave herself up like Barbra did it would be a masterpiece. I'm still in shock about how much control Babs handed over to Barry to make this. It's really a Barry Gibb CD with Barbra on vocals.

by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2017 5:27 AM

that was back in the day when Barbra didn't always produce her own albums. I think the 'control' period really started a few years later, with the Broadway Album.

by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2017 5:33 AM

Her freaky control shit really went into high gear beginning with Yentl.

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2017 5:35 AM

Oh she was very very controlling, trust!

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2017 5:35 AM

She originally wanted to hire the entire Bee Gees until she (and her record company) found out how much it would cost. Then she said "So how much for one?" And took just Barry. The result was still stellar, maybe better than if she had recorded with the whole group.

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2017 5:44 AM

The album sales might have suffered from it being a full Bee Gees + Barbra thing, so to the disco backlash that was still in recent memory. I think it worked out perfectly with just Barry.

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2017 11:12 AM

Havre any fully-recorded songs from the GULITY sessions that didn't make the album ever been released or leaked?

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2017 1:50 PM

There is one outtake that I know of, but I've never heard it. It has never appeared in any bootleg copy as many other Streisand unreleased recordings have.

by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2017 7:09 PM

I LOVE the "how much for one?" legend.

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2017 7:36 PM

Late 1980 also brought another pretty fantastic diva/producer pairing: Diana Ross with Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards.

Ross and Motown didn't give up quite so much control, however. She re-recorded vocals and had the album re-mixed without Rodgers and Edwards' input or even knowledge.

Both Guilty and Diana are my favorite albums from each singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2017 8:05 PM

Streisand sounds completely different on this album than anything else she ever did. Both her and Gibb get equal credit. Gibb for being the master producer and Babs for letting him. I also lament the fact he never did a full album for Olivia. That should have happened right after Physical.

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2017 8:12 PM

Wasn't Cher's 1982 Barry Gibb song, "I Paralyze", also a castoff from Olivia's 1981 PHYSICAL album?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2017 8:16 PM

god, that's an awful song

by Anonymousreply 78November 20, 2017 4:43 AM

r77 I Paralyze is written/produced by John Farrar who was Olivia's producer for the majority of her hits. It's not a Barry Gibb song.

Gibbs and his team definitely should have produced an ONJ album. They did great work with Dionne Warwick and Kenny Rogers. The Diana Ross album, Eaten Alive, has some melodies but suffers from a ridiculous amount of echo on her vocals, with the exception of the great track Chain Reaction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2017 5:37 AM

I really like Eaten Alive but Diana jumped on the bandwagon too late.

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2017 6:30 AM

#2 on the dance charts when La Streisand reunited with Barry on Guilty Pleasures. It has a great chorus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2017 6:46 AM

guilty pleasures is an unfortunately inferior album. it's too bad none of the songs are very good.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2017 6:51 AM

None of the Gibb/diva collaborations comes close to matching Guilty, especially the Guilty Pleasures reunion with Streisand.

The Dionne Warwick album was good, but not great.

By the time they got to Diana Ross, they'd run out of steam.

This track from Heartbreaker sounds so Bee Gee-ish!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2017 11:21 AM

[quote]Listen, I'm old, I am 40- but I'm not THAT old. And this album I remember my parents digging when I was 4-

Un-huh. I’m gonna add 10 more years to your 40. Nice touch with the 4 tho. Like you didn’t look up the year it was released and adjust your age accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2017 11:38 AM

Excellent album but not her best not my favorite. Guilty Pleasures.... well....

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2017 11:44 AM

r84 I'm also 40 and I remember my mom playing the shit out of this album when I was 4/5 years old. I'm assuming she got the album when it came out, and then kept playing it for several years after, like the above poster's parents.

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2017 11:46 AM

Among 1980 albums, it was no Hold Out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2017 11:56 AM

Superman was a better pop album.

by Anonymousreply 88November 21, 2017 12:01 PM

My favorite Streisand songs comes off of Superman. Baby Me Baby. It's a cover of an old country song.

by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2017 12:22 PM

1980/1981 were an interesting couple of years for music. It was a big transitional period, and there were all kinds of things going on.

by Anonymousreply 90November 21, 2017 5:03 PM

^^^yeah, we lost the sex of disco and got Eddie Rabbitt, Juice Newton, and the theme from Greatest American Hero in return. Sigh, it was a dismal few years- at least soon we had interesting things crossing the pond from The UK.

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2017 5:45 PM

Barbra says her next album is going to be 'more rhythmic' and was inspired by George Michael

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2017 6:13 PM

R16, these early duets were not Streisand's idea, they were that illiterate imbecile Jon Peters' idea. Peters was about sale! sale! sales!

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2017 6:21 PM

You bitches are crazy. 1980 was all about this album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2017 6:32 PM

R92 Really? Where did you that?

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2017 7:03 PM

You bitches forgot me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 22, 2017 12:39 AM

That track is from Emotion, which is overall a pretty awful album. BUT one of Barbra's best pop/rock tracks ever comes form that album....This:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 22, 2017 12:46 AM

Interestingly, Diana Ross covered that song in 1991, r97.

by Anonymousreply 98November 22, 2017 12:49 AM

Who made the first move? Who made the very first move? The very first move.

by Anonymousreply 99November 22, 2017 12:53 AM

OP, you are right on.

Woman in Love and What Kind of Fool are on every playlist I have. The Bee Gees were so fucking talented and Barbra knew it.

You must see the concert she put on in her backyard, One Voice. She and Barry duet. EVERYONE famous at the time, 1987, was in the audience and they all speak briefly on camera.

She also takes a minute to speak about and praise Judy Garland bigtime.

by Anonymousreply 100November 22, 2017 1:23 AM

Amen R100! Its like crack! Promises is officially my favorite song now. Every time Gibb shouts AWAY! I have an orgasm in my ears.

And fuck everyone accusing me of being 50! I am 41 in May.

And holy fuck if I do not love Left In The Dark and that duet with Kim Carnes! I am downloading those now! I have never even heard of that album, and Babs looking all hawt in her pink sweater!!!!

by Anonymousreply 101November 22, 2017 5:58 AM

wow, you love Left In The Dark? To each his own. Glad somebody likes it.

by Anonymousreply 102November 22, 2017 6:22 AM

OP has clearly been doing blow since last weekend.

by Anonymousreply 103November 22, 2017 6:46 AM

I had discovered Barbra in 1979 and when Guilty came out I managed to persuade a record store to give me one of the giant cardboards of the album cover they had. I schlepped it home, unpackaged, on the train. How I must have looked?!

by Anonymousreply 104November 22, 2017 10:34 AM

I love “Left In The Dark”, campy as it is. I think Barbra does a great job delivering the pathos.

“Don’t tell me now, I don’t need any answers tonight...”

by Anonymousreply 105November 22, 2017 6:04 PM

And speaking of great pop songs...

Comin’ In and Out of Your Life is from which album?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106November 23, 2017 2:48 AM

Omg, ^^^ that’s a gorgeous pop ballad.

by Anonymousreply 107November 23, 2017 2:49 AM

Her most underappreciated pop song is Kiss Me in the Rain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 23, 2017 2:52 AM

r97 That should have been the single. Produced by Maurice White of Earth, Wind & Fire.

by Anonymousreply 109November 23, 2017 2:52 AM

An outtake from the Emotion album. It's much better than most tracks that made that album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 23, 2017 3:04 AM

Great album, great songs, “Woman in Love” whew!

by Anonymousreply 111November 23, 2017 3:09 AM

Never released theme from "For Pete's Sake" a real good pop song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 23, 2017 3:31 AM

Best Bee Gees song: Run To Me

Runner-Up: Lonely Days

by Anonymousreply 113November 23, 2017 3:51 AM

After Comin' In and Out of Your Life was written and offered to her, she recorded it just ten days later. The song is pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 114November 23, 2017 3:58 AM

Coming In And Out of Your Life was going to be a bigger hit, but she killed it by releasing Memory too fast because she was afraid that someone else was going to release it.

Emotion is a dreadful, schlocky album. Total waste of talent.

Guilty is a fun album and Barbra sounds great, but the Bee Gees wrote the worst goddamned lyrics in pop history. Garbage full of non sequiturs that just rhyme.

by Anonymousreply 115November 23, 2017 4:15 AM

Tonight I'm obsessed with the perfection of Comin' In and Out of Your Life.

I never even notice backup singing in Barbra's songs, but these backup vocals are so strong I had to do a little research.

Tonight's Best Barbra Trivia:

Backing vocals performed by: THE POINTER SISTERS💥

I love everything about this.

by Anonymousreply 116November 23, 2017 4:25 AM

If I remember correct ALW wanted Barbra to record both Memory and Don’t Cry For Me Argentina but she didn’t want to do the second song. Comin’In came in instead and ALW produced it as a part of their recording session.

by Anonymousreply 117November 23, 2017 6:25 AM

I've always like "Prisoner," the theme song from the craptastic "Eyes Of Laura Mars" starring Faye Dunaway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 23, 2017 11:39 AM

Too bombastic.

by Anonymousreply 119November 23, 2017 12:51 PM

In terms of vocal performances Barbra's vocal's and interpretation on the Yentl soundtrack are some of her best.

That album is a master class in how to sing a performance. I miss that from singers, most singers now just get up there and open their mouths. They don't put any thought or meaning into what they are singing.

by Anonymousreply 120November 23, 2017 1:19 PM

I always loved Run Wild. The album sounds a bit dated but it is perfectly tailored to Streisand’s vocal talent. Woman In Love was a massive, instant hit - it was already at the top of the charts before I’d even heard it.

by Anonymousreply 121November 23, 2017 1:37 PM

Love Comes from Unexpected Places on the Streisand Superman album is sublime. Sounds like a porn film but it is one of her best performances.

by Anonymousreply 122November 23, 2017 1:54 PM

The Pointer Sisters sang on “Comin In and Out of Your Life?” Barbra must have liked them, because they appeared on her Emotion album a few years later singing backup on the song “Emotion.”

by Anonymousreply 123November 23, 2017 1:59 PM

I love the campy, oh-so-80s video for "Left In the Dark." It's also one of the few times we've ever seen Barbra smoking a cig.

by Anonymousreply 124November 23, 2017 2:27 PM

Whoops, here's the video!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 23, 2017 2:27 PM

Even though I didn't like Guilty, or much of anything she did in the 1970s, I'm happy that some of you did.

by Anonymousreply 126November 23, 2017 11:46 PM

OMG.

Barbra and her friends raised $53.8 Million in two hours to fund an overseas army (I don't need tell you which one)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 24, 2017 9:39 PM

Outside of the "Guilty" album, this is my favorite of her pop ballads. A perfect vocal, and love when her background girls come in on the final chorus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 25, 2017 5:50 PM

I don't believe it's the Pointers on CIAOOYL. They sing background on Emotion. The only problem is, Barbra put them so far in the background they could have been the Lennon Sisters for all anyone knew.

by Anonymousreply 129November 26, 2017 5:31 AM

I too love My Heart Belongs to Me. It's a really true account of how most relationships, that end, end. There's no big fight. No affair. No hatred. You just wake up in the middle of the night and look over and you're not in love. No big drama you're just not in love anymore and you just don't know how to leave yet. She sings it perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 130November 26, 2017 5:33 AM

The Streisand song/s that sticks in my mind when I think of her is the medley "One Less Bell To Answer/A House Is Not A Home" from "Barbra Joan Streisand". I wish she'd have done a lot more Hal David and Burt Bacharach stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 26, 2017 6:46 AM

I do too. She'd have been the obvious choice to record the Bacharach/David songbook. Why has she never recorded The Look of Love or What the World Needs Now or a studio version of Close To You?

by Anonymousreply 132November 26, 2017 7:53 AM

R131 Burt wrote several songs for her Till I Loved You album.

by Anonymousreply 133November 26, 2017 8:31 AM

Yeah but Carole Bayer Sager is no Hal David.

by Anonymousreply 134November 26, 2017 12:13 PM

It’s crazy that she didn’t sing “My Heart Belongs To Me” on her last tour with those wonderful background singers. It is her best single.

by Anonymousreply 135November 26, 2017 12:50 PM

I think her audience prefers the show tunes and stuff. They have very specific tastes, if you get my drift. Streisand, Hamlisch, Sondheim, etc.

I don’t think soulful black sounds are their thing.

by Anonymousreply 136November 26, 2017 1:06 PM

I disagree on the Burt Bacharach/Hal David Songbook.

Their songs demand a light, deft touch, and Streisand seldom delivers on that count. Dionne Warwick, Dusty Springfield, and Karen Carpenter remain the best interpreters of their songs.

That said, I think Streisand can rein it in when she has the right song and perhaps the right accompaniment. Her version of Randy Newman's I Think It's Gonna Rain Today is wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 26, 2017 1:24 PM

Didn't read the whole thread but OP made me want to revisit Guilty. Saw on spotify that it was the top song under Barbra so it's her most popular song there at least. woman in Love is number 3.

by Anonymousreply 138November 26, 2017 1:35 PM

Jesus, EVERYONE and their mother covered The Look of Love, What the World Needs Now and most of the decent Bacharach songs. Same with Jimmy Webb and Paul Williams songs. Streisand becoming the 1000th to do What the World Needs Now? NO.

by Anonymousreply 139November 26, 2017 3:50 PM

Bacharach / David wrote this for Barbra, and amazingly, except for this incredible live performance on Bacharach's TV special, she never recorded it for an album or single. Dionne Warwick and Laura Nyro would go on to record it, but this seems definitive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 26, 2017 5:12 PM

Don't bring that hack Laura Nyro into this thread. She is GUILTY of being horrible.

by Anonymousreply 141November 26, 2017 5:14 PM

My favorites from the Yentl album were the studio versions of 'No Matter What Happens' and 'The Way He Makes Me Feel'. I remember reading a long time ago that there was a 'studio' version of 'Papa, Can You Hear Me?', and that it was released only in England (or Europe). I would love to have this studio version of 'Papa'. Any DL know how I can find it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 26, 2017 5:32 PM

Hopelessly dated, R140.

by Anonymousreply 143November 26, 2017 5:42 PM

Donna Summer doing Papa Can You Hear Me? I forgotten the whole story but Barbra had to back out at the last minute and she convinced Donna to fill in for her with about a days notice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 26, 2017 5:52 PM

[quote]I wish she'd have done a lot more Hal David and Burt Bacharach stuff.

Speak for yourself, HUSSY!

by Anonymousreply 145November 26, 2017 5:53 PM

[quote]I think her audience prefers the show tunes and stuff. They have very specific tastes, if you get my drift.

Shut your mouth! Laura Nyro was fucking brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 146November 26, 2017 5:55 PM

[quote]And the song Guilty, is like CRACK.

An we gah an we gah nuthin tuh feel guitah fer

by Anonymousreply 147November 26, 2017 6:02 PM

[quote]Shut your mouth! Laura Nyro was fucking brilliant.

I suggest bringing the 'fucking' up front next time: 'Shut your fucking mouth! Laura Nyro was brilliant.' See how punchy?

by Anonymousreply 148November 26, 2017 6:04 PM

Shut your mouth! Laura fucking Nyro was brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 149November 26, 2017 6:37 PM

I'm so grateful she game me her rejects

by Anonymousreply 150November 26, 2017 6:44 PM

I think this is the most beautiful song from EMOTION: Clear Sailing, that nobody else knows about! lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151November 26, 2017 7:15 PM

R151 Beautiful indeed. Emotion didn’t sell like her previous albums and might be the reason she went to record boring ballad albums for decades.

by Anonymousreply 152November 26, 2017 7:34 PM

Emotion also got terrible reviews which, in hindsight, were kind of unjustified because it's a pretty good album. One of the reviewers called it Streisand's "musical menopause."

by Anonymousreply 153November 26, 2017 8:18 PM

What was the song that had the hideous video that MTV was paid to play?

by Anonymousreply 154November 26, 2017 8:26 PM

Left In The Dark

by Anonymousreply 155November 26, 2017 8:48 PM

No. It was different. It had the ballet dancer. Oh well I suppose I could googie it myself.

by Anonymousreply 156November 26, 2017 8:51 PM

I must be one of the very few people who LOVE Left In the Dark. It's so campy and overblown, I think it's a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 157November 26, 2017 8:58 PM

R154: It was EMOTION, with backup vocals from the Pointer Sisters and Barbra dancing with Baryshnikov!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 26, 2017 9:03 PM

That "Emotion" video is so 80s craptacular! Barbra looking all New Wave, like she was auditioning for the Human League.

by Anonymousreply 159November 26, 2017 9:17 PM

Oh that video is so sad. Is this the time frame she was riding Don Johnson's huge cock?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 26, 2017 9:21 PM

I believe Don Johnson's giant horsecock came later in the 80s. Barbra got some good dick in that decade!

by Anonymousreply 161November 26, 2017 9:23 PM

My favorite from Emotion is ‘Heart Don’t Change My Mind’. The sentiment the song and her soaring voice slice right through me.

by Anonymousreply 162November 26, 2017 9:43 PM

R158 Such a terrible video.

by Anonymousreply 163November 26, 2017 10:09 PM

I think her character at the end is cute though, the classic sexually frigid yenta and the pleading nebbish husband.

by Anonymousreply 164November 26, 2017 10:32 PM

I found Emotion embarrassing. But I waited another 15 years before dumping Babs completely. It took A Love Like Ours to do it.

by Anonymousreply 165November 26, 2017 11:48 PM

Emotion is a terrible album. It got terrible reviews and sold very poorly. What made it deeply ironic was that at exactly the same time, Linda Ronstadt, rock singer, was having huge sales, and garnering positive reviews, with her Nelson Riddle trilogy, the exact sort of album Barbra could have made and cleaned up with. But no. Barbra was too interested in being 'current' (she never was, she was always just her own thing). After the Emotion flop, she finally came to her senses and recorded THE BROADWAY ALBUM, one of her best ever.

by Anonymousreply 166November 27, 2017 1:37 AM

I remember that Barbra's record company wanted her to record What Kind of Fool as a solo rather than a duet, but she insisted on doing it with Barry. I wonder if a solo version exists. I'd love to hear it if it does.

by Anonymousreply 167November 27, 2017 1:42 AM

Barbra and Barry were perfection on What Kind of Fool. That is just a gorgeous song.

by Anonymousreply 168November 27, 2017 1:44 AM

The best films Barbra never made: She turned down Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Klute, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Julia, and unbelievably, Cabaret. She'd have left a great body of work if she'd made all those films.

by Anonymousreply 169November 27, 2017 1:45 AM

"(Emotion) got terrible reviews and sold very poorly"

Are you not capable of listening and evaluating a record without equating it to reviews and sales (and awards) ??? The album SUCKED, it had nothing to do with reviews or sales - even good selling albums can suck, R166. Is this beyond your comprehension?

by Anonymousreply 170November 27, 2017 1:47 AM

What the fuck is wrong with you? The album was awful. It was reviewed poorly. It sold poorly. I repeat, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

by Anonymousreply 171November 27, 2017 1:50 AM

One of my guilty pleasures was Babs singing the theme from "The Main Event". True, it's a stupid song, but it's fun, and I love to hear her hit that LONG final note on the song.

Her best: "My Man" from Funny Girl and "All I Ask Of You" from Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 172November 27, 2017 1:54 AM

R171 = reading comprehension issues

by Anonymousreply 173November 27, 2017 2:06 AM

Is it me, or did Barbra tease an all-Judy album during One Voice? Oh, if only?

Anyway, back to The Broadway Album. For me, this is the highlight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174November 27, 2017 2:07 AM

[quote]Emotion also got terrible reviews which, in hindsight, were kind of unjustified because it's a pretty good album.

No, it was rubbish.

I agree that it was good that she went back to standards with The Broadway Album, but that album is hurt by the cheesy 80s synthesizers on some songs.

by Anonymousreply 175November 27, 2017 2:08 AM

[quote]Is it me, or did Barbra tease an all-Judy album during One Voice?

I love how Barbra was all coy about not wanting to sing "Judy's" song -- and then sand the shit out of it in a way Judy could only dream of singing.

It was wonderfully competitive.

by Anonymousreply 176November 27, 2017 2:10 AM

I've never seen Laura Nyro disparaged here before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 27, 2017 2:30 AM

What I am about to share might scare you. It will stay with you for a very long time and uncomfortable time.

It is an unreleased disco version of SHALL WE DANCE from The Broadway Album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178November 27, 2017 2:48 AM

^ Good fucking G-d, that was horrendous.

It sounds like fucking Stacey Q.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 27, 2017 2:53 AM

R178, oh ... my ... gawd ...

Wow, I'm a lot more inclined to forgive the album cut of "Somewhere".

by Anonymousreply 180November 27, 2017 2:57 AM

Barbra was really offered Klute? I love Barbra, but the idea of her as an expensive call girl in Manhattan is laughable. Everybody wanted to fuck the young Jane Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 181November 27, 2017 3:16 AM

My favorite Barbara song is her cover of Lil' Kim's "Big Momma Thang," which was on her "Higher Ground" album.

Barbra sang that song with such emotion, you really could believe that she used to be scared of the dick, but now she throws lips to the shit and handles it like a real bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 27, 2017 3:20 AM

R83 Dionne's album is better than Streisand's. Streisand was a HORRIBLE pop singer.

by Anonymousreply 183November 27, 2017 3:23 AM

Nuts to you R181

by Anonymousreply 184November 27, 2017 3:23 AM

r181, yet she managed to get Nuts made over a decade later. .

by Anonymousreply 185November 27, 2017 3:23 AM

I've never had quite that level of a jinx here before, r184.

by Anonymousreply 186November 27, 2017 3:24 AM

I'll always remember Joe Queenan's quote about "Nuts" in the old Movieline magazine: "If women who looked like Barbra Streisand could get $400 for a blowjob, prostitution would be the most overcrowded profession in the country."

by Anonymousreply 187November 27, 2017 3:27 AM

What Kind of Fool is awesome!!!

by Anonymousreply 188November 27, 2017 3:29 AM

No r83!! What about Chain Reaction???!!! Great song!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189November 27, 2017 3:55 AM

Such a cleaver critic in the great magazine Movieline. Shows you how much he and R187 know about high end call girls. God there is ignorant shit on my this thread.

by Anonymousreply 190November 27, 2017 4:07 AM

R183, and the Beatles were a horrible band and Louis Armstrong sucked on the trumpet- I’m smart like you!

by Anonymousreply 191November 27, 2017 4:12 AM

Barbra sounds great on "Guilty" but the ornate production makes it sound more dated than her 70s stuff.

by Anonymousreply 192November 27, 2017 4:14 AM

r190 are you having a stroke?

by Anonymousreply 193November 27, 2017 4:20 AM

Yes, she was offered Klute. Jane Fonda has often said "Thank God Barbra doesn't like to work very much. She gave me my career."

by Anonymousreply 194November 27, 2017 6:16 AM

This biography came out soon after Guilty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195November 27, 2017 11:36 AM

Fucking Laura Nyro was brilliant.

For my career.

by Anonymousreply 196November 27, 2017 8:00 PM

I fucking hated that goddam afro.

by Anonymousreply 197November 28, 2017 5:11 AM

Man I fucking hated that afro too. Her mid 1960s Sasoon style cuts looked so great on her.

by Anonymousreply 198November 28, 2017 9:39 AM

After STAR IS BORN, and with her taking more control of her product, the quality of Streisands increasingly infrequent films and albums nosedived. She wasted her prime on shlock.

by Anonymousreply 199November 28, 2017 11:34 AM

The "Emotion" video played before the feature like a trailer in selected theatres.

by Anonymousreply 200November 28, 2017 2:20 PM

I want to say Billy Joel's "Keeping the Faith" video also had a brief theatrical run. CBS/Columbia thing? Boy, wouldn't that be better than anything that currently airs before a movie.

by Anonymousreply 201November 28, 2017 10:58 PM

r199, sadly I have to agree.

by Anonymousreply 202November 29, 2017 5:40 AM

so how's the new concert special

by Anonymousreply 203December 1, 2017 3:19 AM

The last song on her new netflix special is absolutely stunning.

by Anonymousreply 204December 3, 2017 3:12 AM

r204 Agreed. Saw her do the show live in NYC. She was pretty great throughout, especially "Losing My Mind" and "I Didn't Know What Time It Was"

by Anonymousreply 205December 3, 2017 4:12 AM

[quote] I am surprised they never produced an entire album for Olivia Newton John.

I'm not

by Anonymousreply 206December 3, 2017 6:05 AM

r189

It was a hit everywhere but in the USA. Kind of like the song "Frankie" by Sister Sledge which was a monster of a hit, going to #1 all over the world but never made it past the lower half of the top 100 here.

by Anonymousreply 207December 3, 2017 6:07 AM

Hair was best looking in 1966, her natural dark:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 3, 2017 4:04 PM

Someone mentioned Love Comes From The Most Unexpected Places from Streisand Superman - an album I always enjoyed. Wasn’t that song written by Kim Carnes? The only song on Emotion I ever enjoyed was the duet with Carnes, Make No Mistake, He’s Mine.

by Anonymousreply 209December 3, 2017 5:13 PM

She's mentioned just recently that she had been a George Michael fan and wanted to sing with him. Back when she was doing the Guilty sequel, she cited the GM "Older" album as the sound she liked. Too bad she never worked with him. Who's around today that could produce an entire good pop album with her?

by Anonymousreply 210December 3, 2017 7:09 PM

You know, Barbra in a GM produced album would have been a good thing. He'd have understood what the right sound was for her. Not sure who could do it now.

by Anonymousreply 211December 4, 2017 2:49 AM

Will Barbra's live album go to no. 1? Some in the press seem to think it will.

by Anonymousreply 212December 8, 2017 2:34 AM

Given that Barbra's fans buy their music, she probably will get to #1.

by Anonymousreply 213December 8, 2017 5:35 PM

No. Her recent live albums don't sell. The last one that did well was the '94 concert. The subsequent live CDs are tag-along releases tied to a TV special or home video. They focus promotion on the video and rake in the bucks. Her studio albums still do remarkably well.

by Anonymousreply 214December 8, 2017 8:26 PM

“Make It Like a Memory” is pretty soulful, and the ending is epic.

by Anonymousreply 215December 8, 2017 10:21 PM

So OP, are you pleading GUILTY of gayness ?

I love the gay.

by Anonymousreply 216December 8, 2017 10:30 PM

Ah ....... When music was music !

by Anonymousreply 217December 8, 2017 10:32 PM

Was there a moment when I cut you down?

by Anonymousreply 218December 8, 2017 11:04 PM

Why do I still remember the names of the background singers on Guilty? Myrna Matthews and Marti McCall were their names. I guess Barbra was into the letter "M" at the time. There was one other backup singer, but I can't remember her name.

It's probably because Guilty was my very first album and I studied those liner notes like they were the secrets of the universe. It had a book-style album cover that opened up to reveal lots of photos Barbra and Barry in their white outfits. I got it for Christmas in 1980, and it was my favorite gift as a kid. I'm sure my mother was thrilled buying it for her son, but it's what I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 219December 8, 2017 11:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220December 8, 2017 11:25 PM

Still pretty great for 75

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221December 8, 2017 11:32 PM

[quote] Why do I still remember the names of the background singers on Guilty? Myrna Matthews and Marti McCall

Marti McCall was a fucking great backing vocalist. Here she is on the Babys song Everytime I Think of You. Great record, but she pushes it that much further.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222December 8, 2017 11:45 PM

Find your glory out there with somebody else!

by Anonymousreply 223December 9, 2017 12:02 AM

I'll be where you find me. I'll be somebody else

by Anonymousreply 224December 9, 2017 12:04 AM

She looked better with a beard.

by Anonymousreply 225December 9, 2017 12:05 AM

Holy fuck, r222, that was a great performance!

by Anonymousreply 226December 9, 2017 12:18 AM

How many women copied Barbra's frizzy perm back in the day? That was a hugely popular hairstyle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227December 9, 2017 1:29 AM

No. It wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 228December 9, 2017 5:16 PM

Perms were huge in those days, and throughout the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 229December 9, 2017 6:05 PM

R221 Even the older husky voiced Streisand is better than most of the singers out there.

I'm wondering though, if during these live concerts she gets help from pre-recorded passages or from voice tweaking software to help her on some of those high notes. The ending of "Being Alive" especially.

by Anonymousreply 230December 9, 2017 6:10 PM

Yeah, but not because of her, R229.

by Anonymousreply 231December 9, 2017 6:11 PM

OP here, I watched that Netflix special and I have to say Barbra's voice is sounding rough. But holy cow, I aways think she is in her mid 60's. This woman is heading to her 80's!!!!!! So based on that, her voice has held up well!

And I don't care what anyone says, I have now gotten into EMOTION from 1984!!! I downloaded 3 songs!! That voice! Damn!!

by Anonymousreply 232December 9, 2017 7:34 PM

R221 her voice has changed but she is 75 and recorded it 32 years ago! She indeed sings and performs much better than singers less than half her age

by Anonymousreply 233December 9, 2017 8:50 PM

[quote]OP here, I watched that Netflix special and I have to say Barbra's voice is sounding rough. But holy cow, I aways think she is in her mid 60's. This woman is heading to her 80's!!!!!! So based on that, her voice has held up well!

She sounds better live than Betty Buckley these days, who's younger and professionally trained. Same with Patti LuPone, who sounds rough, too.

Everybody wants to fault Barbra for not training and taking care of her voice, but it wouldn't have made that much difference. Your voice is going to deteriorate as you age no matter what you do. She actually preserved it by not touring for decades. LuPone and Buckley trained their voices like crazy and they sound worse.

by Anonymousreply 234December 9, 2017 11:17 PM

Re the Netflix special. I thought she sounded a bit rough in the first half, but found a remarkable difference in the second half. She sounded her best in the last few songs. Maybe it just takes her a long time to warm up.

by Anonymousreply 235December 9, 2017 11:39 PM

One of my favorite Barbra albums is Je m'apelle Barbra....any other fans?

by Anonymousreply 236December 9, 2017 11:44 PM

R234 LuPone doesn’t sound worse and has sung live all her career. Barbra has sung mainly in the recording studio. Big difference.

by Anonymousreply 237December 9, 2017 11:51 PM

R237, LuPone sounds awful now. There's a reason she decided to retire from live theater when her last show closed. She knows her voice is gone.

by Anonymousreply 238December 10, 2017 2:07 AM

R232: I love “Clear Sailing” from the Emotion album.

by Anonymousreply 239December 10, 2017 2:50 AM

It's really a shame Barbra didn't make GYPSY instead of that execrable NUTS or MIRROR HTF.

by Anonymousreply 240December 12, 2017 5:57 AM

Mirror was a very good movie.

by Anonymousreply 241December 12, 2017 12:06 PM

meh. I could just about take it until all that makeover nonsense. Jeff Bridges is dreamy though.

by Anonymousreply 242December 13, 2017 12:35 AM

Mirror was worth it just for these 2:31. For a little over two minutes Bacall and Streisand drop every mannerism and tick they had as actresses. It was wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243December 13, 2017 4:31 AM

Bacall should have won the Oscar. It was ridiculous that Binoche--who is wonderful---was in that category.

by Anonymousreply 244December 13, 2017 4:33 AM

I will always like this. is it cheesy, tasteful friends?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 13, 2017 4:36 AM

no, great song

by Anonymousreply 246December 13, 2017 4:43 AM

R243 Bacall’s scenes were the only watchable ones.

by Anonymousreply 247December 13, 2017 7:59 AM

GUILTY is great. It's really a Bee Gees album using Streisand's voice. And MIRROR is enjoyable as a romantic comedy. Certainly has a lot more substance to it than most rom coms.

by Anonymousreply 248December 13, 2017 9:09 AM

Come to think of it, Lauren Bacall would have been great in GYPSY

by Anonymousreply 249December 13, 2017 5:34 PM

Always liked this one a lot - brilliant construction and execution. You will believe a man can fly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250December 13, 2017 6:10 PM

it seems like half a song

by Anonymousreply 251December 13, 2017 7:04 PM

In the era when most of her songs were too long, it was a breath of fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 252December 13, 2017 7:46 PM

Superman does seem like the composer got bored with it halfway thru and just wrapped it up.

by Anonymousreply 253December 14, 2017 2:46 AM

Overall, I thought Superman was a disappointing, lightweight follow up to the massive success of A Star Is Born. This was also one of the points in Barbra's career when, had she toured, she could have played stadiums and made incredible dough. She was hugely popular right then, and with a segment of the population who never really adored her again: teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 254December 14, 2017 3:45 AM

Bitches, once again I need to say that I LOVE Emotion. The album. Love it. Completely underrated.

by Anonymousreply 255June 30, 2018 7:21 PM

True, r254. Barbra could've made a mint from touring in the late 70s. It's not like she was making movies then, either. She only did The Main Event and that was it. She really could've filled huge venues at that period in time, and rode it all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 256June 30, 2018 8:37 PM

[quote]I think her character at the end is cute though, the classic sexually frigid yenta and the pleading nebbish husband.

I love you R164.

by Anonymousreply 257June 30, 2018 8:41 PM

I stumbled across a deluxe version of this CD and bought it for a buck or two, seriously. With little expectations beyond its nice grey cover design. But I must admit it's the best of hers I've heard in a long time -- because it's very low key, simple arrangements, no strings, no screaming on her part. Glad I found it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258June 30, 2018 8:44 PM

(P.S. found it on ebay, of course.)

by Anonymousreply 259June 30, 2018 8:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!