Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vietnamese Americans. What do we know about them?

Tell us generalities or personal experiences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2018 10:47 PM

Kind.

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2017 4:10 AM

hint: they're human beings

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2017 4:12 AM

No one can truly say.

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2017 4:21 AM

We get good grades.

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2017 4:26 AM

The women are some FUCKED UP bitches.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2017 4:27 AM

They dominate the nail salon industry.

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2017 4:31 AM

I go to the Vietnamese grocery store and get great stuff, most of what I see I don't know what it's for. But they carry lots of Asian products, Chinese, Indian, etc. A lot of the produce puzzles me too. They have a booth where they roast duck.

by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2017 4:37 AM

That’s not duck.

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2017 4:42 AM

Hard working social climbers with hearts of gold, despite their avaricious tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2017 4:43 AM

I've been told the Vietnamese grocery store is the place to score good French bread. R7, would you grab me some?

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2017 4:44 AM

I take complete credit for placing them in nail salons. That, and the magnificence of my untalented daughter and granddaughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2017 4:49 AM

They brought us the "Vietnamese Sub".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2017 4:56 AM

Tila Tequila

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2017 4:59 AM

My limited experience with Vietnamese in the US is that they sometimes go for the glitzy, as in OP's pick.

The Vietnamese in Vietnam are smart, serious, extremely hard-working and extremely responsible. I was totally impressed with them.

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2017 5:00 AM

My partner's Vietnamese. Agreed, you get good small baguettes at Vietnamese grocery stores. One of the few good legacies of French colonization.

Also agreed, the woman can appear sweet, but if you get a look behind the masks, you'll find seriously scary personality disorders are common among them.

Vietnamese are geniuses are appearing friendly, and you will think they sincerely like you. They may actually be viciously ranking on your "inferior" race, your smell, your fatness, your stupidity, your dirtiness, etc.

If they want to help you, they go all out, and can be incredibly generous.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2017 5:11 AM

I’ve known a couple.

They were charming but also pathological liars.

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2017 5:18 AM

Good nail salons, donut shops, dry cleaners, restaurants. Very hard working. But believe this.....they ARE talking about you behind your back. Trust.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2017 5:25 AM

For what it's worth, I've known a couple men who married V. women. They both told the same tales: all lovey-dovey and sweet... 'til apres marriage.

From that point, non-stop demands, lust for material shit.

I worked w. an IT guy who had a pretty nice house, wasn't into flashy cars, had a bulletproof Honda Accord he maintained well. The V. wife decided that was unacceptable 'cause her friends husbands had luxury SUVs.

As far as she was concerned, of course they had to spend upwards of $40k on an Acura or some such. There was no question about it.

He took a job elsewhere before that song and dance played out so I don't know what happened, but he sounded like he wouldn't have cried for too long if her body washed up somewhere in the Mekong Delta.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2017 5:47 AM

This thread is literally killing me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2017 1:00 AM

R15's post in video form

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2017 1:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2017 1:13 AM

I've had sex with a good number of them. They don't do foreplay. The war really fucked them up including the more recent generations born here. There's just something off about them. A lot of them are hot.

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2017 1:18 AM

Family members all live together in the same house. Bunk beds in every room. Aunts, uncle's, grandparents stacked to the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2017 2:17 AM

I didn't know that, R23.

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2017 2:20 AM

My uncle owned a mechanics shop and in the 1970-80s. After the Vietnam war ended many Vietnamese came to San Francisco as refugees and he hired several to work in the shop He said they were excellent workers, smart, reliable, and honest. They were "underemployed", one was a pilot, but because they were refugees could not work at their former professional levels unless they passed US exams. Instead they worked as mechanics to earn money and take care of their families. Very admirable. He said the same about Nicaraguans who fled war in their country. Hardworking, reliable, and honest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2017 2:25 AM

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, along with some of your handsome men, yearning to breathe free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2017 2:29 AM

I know that many Vietnamese are actually ethnically Chinese, which complicates generalizations.

I also hear American tech-y expats are increasingly setting up shop in Vietnam, and I've flirted with the idea of working from Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city for a few months just for a change of pace. Apparently they're becoming pretty sophisticated these days.

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2017 8:06 PM

Many of them have names that are unfortunate in English such as Ho or Phuc

The ones that I've known here are very class conscious--they know exactly whose family was high class in South Vietnam and who was working in the rice paddy.

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2017 8:10 PM

Like the Cuban Americans, R28. They know too.

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2017 8:23 PM

They luv murica. Uncle ho is rolling in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2017 9:18 PM

I worked with several Viet people years ago, and found each one of them, as individuals, very kind and sweet. One young lady turned me on to hot sauce: she would prepare a plate for me at the restaurant where we both worked, and always seasoned it for me, and I discovered that I loved hot sauce. And she confided in me about 'our smell'. Apparently, to many Asians, white Americans smell like butter because of the foods we consume. One young fellow I worked with had a beautiful, tight body, and even though he knew I was gay, he was perfectly happy to let me massage his neck and shoulders, even though his fiance worked with us, too.

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2017 9:27 PM

Any verificatia of Viet sizemeat would be appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2017 9:32 PM

[quote]Apparently, to many Asians, white Americans smell like butter because of the foods we consume.

Nope. White ppl smell like mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2017 9:36 PM

Nicer than Filipinos, not as self-serving.

Plus they don't stink up the bathrooms like Filipinos do either.

And a lot nicer than Chinese people.

And stay out of those Asian markets - the hygienic practices are VILE!

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2017 9:41 PM

First generation Vietnamese-Americans are homophobic. Their children are more Americanized and are lax on gay people.

I've met some smelly Vietnamese people. It depends on the person I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2017 9:42 PM

Had one Viets fuckbuddy. Cute hot, average hung uncut R32, and good in bed. Fantastic ass.

by Anonymousreply 36November 18, 2017 9:44 PM

Not American, but when I got my first apartment back in 1989 the building was mostly Vietnamese who came to Canada as refugees. Best neighbours I have ever had. Most would work their asses off until they had enough saved up for a house then move. Shortly there after the building was taken over by Newfies coming to Ontario for welfare and the building went to shit fast.

by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2017 9:50 PM

[quote]Vietnamese are geniuses are appearing friendly, and you will think they sincerely like you. They may actually be viciously ranking on your "inferior" race, your smell, your fatness, your stupidity, your dirtiness, etc.

And gay men don't?

by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2017 10:17 PM

[quote] Apparently, to many Asians, white Americans smell like butter because of the foods we consume.

LOL, not butter

They claim Europeans smell like stinky cheese because they eat dairy. That goes back to Marco Polo days.

by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2017 10:20 PM

Again, we are making generalizations. Vietnamese, like those of us born in the United States, are all different. I know a number of people who either were born in Vietnam or were born in the U.S. - each have distinct personalities, needs, and expectations. How would we respond to a posting that read: Homosexuals. What do we know about them? OP - you are a racist!

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2017 11:49 PM

Awesome people. Good looking, smart and cultured. Great manners. Defeated the US and China back to back. Love them. I'd go back there any day. Fantastic banquets if you're lucky to get invited to one.

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2017 12:57 AM

No, OP is not a racist. Every country has some national traits - it's pretty inevitable. The French, for example, tend to be very rational thinkers, orderly, and a little obsessed with their appearance (and very into food and wine). No, not every single French person is like that, but those are widely recognized as French traits because so many people from the rest of the world have noticed them among the French.

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2017 3:22 AM

I enjoy that some of them are both Buddhist and Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2017 3:33 AM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts R40.

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2017 3:35 AM

R40 is Riley J. Dennis.

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2017 3:38 AM

So wonderful what with the sweets, nails, and happy endings

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2017 3:44 AM

I have slept with only one Vietnamese guy. He had a smooth tight body and a big cock for a little guy. He was very sweet and unfailingly polite. Nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2017 4:16 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2017 11:10 PM

R48, on the other hand, IS a racist. The giveaway is "you people."

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2017 11:50 PM

Many radiate garlic within a two yard circumference

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2017 12:05 AM

Get bent, snowflake r49.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2017 12:48 AM

Maybe we should judge people on their individual characteristics and behaviors and less on shared group characteristics. These individual factors probably determine whether we actually like the person or not...

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2017 11:07 PM

One of my coworkers came over in the mid-70s as a young refugee with her family. She has horror stories about being packed into a boat escaping Vietnam. Her dad wasn't so lucky, he spent years imprisoned there before he finally got out. He told all of his kids to concentrate on getting an education, because it's the only thing that can't be taken away from you.

She's now an award-winning author, spends much of her free time doing volunteer work, all of her kids are college grads, two are in medical school. They love America and talk frequently about how grateful they are that their family was given refuge.

by Anonymousreply 53November 21, 2017 1:33 AM

They tend to vote Republican but that may be changing post Trump.

by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2017 2:27 AM

I think the ones who came here would be more likely to vote Republican because they'd be the ones who wouldn't tolerate the notion of a communist government. They're like the Cubans in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2017 3:27 AM

[quote]They tend to vote Republican but that may be changing post Trump.

Yeah, not anymore, under Obama and then the Clinton election all ethnicities of Asian Americans became a solidly democratic voting bloc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 21, 2017 3:40 AM

^ That guy in that photo above may have Vietnamese nationality but I bet he is ethnically Chinese like R27 says.

The Chinese have infiltrated all of South East Asia, Australia and America ... and Europe and they're certainly buying up Africa and creating new lands as well in the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2017 3:54 AM

I have worked with many, and dated one. The worst story I heard was one guy who was a little kid packed onto a boat fleeing Viet Nam, which got boarded by pirates. He survived by hiding under dead bodies until another boat picked him up. Another guy was sponsored by a religious family in the midwest who seemingly expected him to be an unpaid farm worker. He was maybe ten years old, and hated having to stand be outside for hours in the snow, which he'd never seen before. He also was horrified by the endless glasses of milk they always wanted him to drink. He got to LA as soon as he was old enough to move out. They are great hosts. I was treated to a long afternoon of alternating drinking, talking, and snacking. We had oysters from the grill, "33" beer, and a lot of good home cooking. "Vietnamese Nights" at some venues have a different vibe, all ages are welcome. They do love a cha cha cha, and everybody dances whether you are 21 or 70 years old. All the times I went, there seemed to be a general joy of life in that moment, cutting loose with live music, dancing, drinking and laughing. I never saw a fight even though lots of people got pretty drunk.

by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2017 4:13 AM

In high school they were more integrated with the other races. The kids who were of Chinese and Japanese descent kind of just hung out together.

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2017 4:15 AM

R58 I guess his adopted MidWest family were feeding him 'endless glasses of milk' to make him grow to a normal height.

I hear second-generation Chinese are much taller than their parents because of all the protein they're eating here.

by Anonymousreply 60November 21, 2017 4:35 AM

My representative in Congress is U.S. Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-Florida), who came to this country as a infant and as refugee. She was a last minute candidate who defeated the Republican chair of the Transportation Committee

by Anonymousreply 61November 21, 2017 5:33 AM

Yes, they did defeat the USA and China, BUT not before driving out the French ("Angel of Bien Dien Phu" , my ass - can you imagine how much french cheese she ingested ...)

by Anonymousreply 62August 3, 2018 8:39 PM

I grew up in Houston which has so many vietnamese that their delicious restaurants outnumber chinese.

Every vietnamese person/family I knew was super sweet and inviting. God knows most of the WASPs in Houston were terribly racist towards them.

However in the late 80s/ Early 90s there was a wave of Vietnamese gangs, they drove super expensive sports cars, cavaricci's, went to nightclubs and had fabulous blown out hair.

They were always robbing and shooting people and had nicknames like Tony Playboy

by Anonymousreply 63August 3, 2018 9:44 PM

Is this a gay board? No one has mentioned "Miss Saigon" yet?

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2018 10:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!