Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My Excellent Instant Pot Cooker Stories!

My exquisite high-pressure Instant Pot cooker is in use again!

Tonight I'm making Balsamic Pork Loin Tenderloin. It takes 5 minutes of actual cooking time plus 7 minutes to cool down, and I'll have a juicy, tender 3 lb pork tenderloin with potatoes and carrots and the gravy. Recipe follows. I'll tell you how it turned out later.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Friday at 4:04 AM

Well....I'll come back tomorrow and tell you all about it. I'm too stoned to cook right now.

by Anonymousreply 111/15/2017

So how did it turn out? I'm bumping this thread because I'm thinking of buying an Instant Pot. What are the pros and cons?

by Anonymousreply 2Last Wednesday at 12:37 PM

Seems like a crude shill.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Wednesday at 12:44 PM

I hope the OP has tapeworms.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Wednesday at 12:46 PM

OP here,

How odd that someone should bump this post of mine again because I am cooking a roast in my Instant Pot right now! I pulled it out minutes ago, it is tender, tender, tender. And now I'm putting the potatoes in separately (don't want them to overcook). BTW, the pork tenderloin I made earlier in the post was exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 5Last Wednesday at 12:53 PM

R2, there are no cons to an Instant Pot. It is the only one made with 100% Stainless steel pot (no flaking Teflon). It's got all the buttons you need. Get the 6 qt or larger size, not the 3 qt which is pretty useless.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Wednesday at 12:54 PM

Those instant dishes are the equivalent of hamburger helper. OK if you're low brow but why not take 30 mintues and make the food properly?

by Anonymousreply 7Last Wednesday at 12:55 PM

R7, you don't know what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 8Last Wednesday at 12:56 PM

Why not use a pressure cooker?

by Anonymousreply 9Last Wednesday at 12:57 PM

R9, I believe it is a pressure cooker and a slow cooker. I am planning to get one.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Wednesday at 1:02 PM

Instant Pot is a pressure cooker.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Wednesday at 1:04 PM

R11, Instant Pot also has a button for Slow Cooking, so it is both.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Wednesday at 1:05 PM

On Black Friday, the 6 qt units went for $49. Now on Amazon they are $125

by Anonymousreply 13Last Wednesday at 1:06 PM

Tuff luck finding one at this date. The Instant Pot factory website is sold out of some of the models. Walmart is sold out of the model it carried, too.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Wednesday at 1:07 PM

I have a pressure cooker-slow cooker combo (8 qt) that I bought several years ago. This year I used it to slow cook a turkey breast. The only problem was that there were no "high" and "low" settings for the slow cooker function. The recipe called for "low;" I did some Googling and someone said that my particular machine defaulted to "low," so I used it. The turkey was done in less than half the time the recipe called for, so I think it was WAY too high. I guess the Instant Pot doesn't have that problem.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Wednesday at 1:08 PM

Instant Pot has 3 pressure settings, low, medium and high. They can be manually manipulated, too.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Wednesday at 1:51 PM

Great for cooking rice. Great for cooking beans.

Necessity for vegetarians. Not sure how good meat is in the pressure cooker.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Wednesday at 1:59 PM

r16 I was talking about the slow cooker settings, not the pressure settings.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Wednesday at 2:02 PM

One of my siblings was going to give me one of these for Christmas; fortunately, I found out ahead of time and told him not to do it. Fast is not the same as good. If you know how to cook and don't need to eat RIGHT NOW, you don't need an instant pot.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Wednesday at 2:42 PM

R19 does not own an instant pot, has never used an instant pot, has never eaten food from an instant pot, and yet we should consider her as an expert in all of this.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Wednesday at 2:56 PM

Don't know about this Instant pot but some of the tenderest meat I've ever eaten has come out of my old pressure cooker. I have a slow cooker and it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 21Last Wednesday at 2:58 PM

Hi guys. I'm hear to talk about my fabulous Santa Fe electric Quesadilla Maker! My meals have never been faster or more delicious. And my kids love to make both hearty quesadillas and dessert quesadilla. I'll even show you how to make a quesadilla birthday cake!

by Anonymousreply 22Last Wednesday at 3:26 PM

FF R22

by Anonymousreply 23Last Wednesday at 3:47 PM

marry me r22

by Anonymousreply 24Last Wednesday at 4:25 PM

Do I store this in my pantry next to my Panini maker?

by Anonymousreply 25Last Wednesday at 4:29 PM

Ree @ r22, if I had a husband with a big dick like Ladd, I wouldn't be hanging around on a gay chat board. Cowboy Josh is waiting in the background to steal him from you.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Wednesday at 4:39 PM

I'm curious but where would I put my counter-top Donut Factory?

by Anonymousreply 27Last Wednesday at 4:42 PM

Can I use it with my George Foreman grill?

by Anonymousreply 28Last Wednesday at 4:45 PM

InstantPot makes Dump Cakes at twice the speed!

by Anonymousreply 29Last Wednesday at 4:55 PM

Love my Instant Pot, though I've mainly used it for a pressure cooker. Made a great chili chicken verde from a recipe on Serious Eats, as well as coq au vin, boeuf bourguignon, I'll try carnitas next. All of these things usually need a 2-3 hour braise in the over, and they pressure cook in 30 minutes.

Pressure cookers are used in professional kitchens all the time. And although there are also slow cooker settings, pressure cooking is not the same; it's respected and used by chefs, whereas slow cooking is, yes, kinda slop. This is not that.

Last week, I bought the sous vide attachment for my Instant Pot and it works great. Absolutely perfect steaks, with zero guesswork about doneness. As well, there's almost no gradient -- the interior of the steak is almost 100% medium rare and there is no big strip of grey along the interior edge, like there is with grilled or pan-fried steaks. There is a reason that 100% of steakhouses use this cooking method.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Wednesday at 5:03 PM

Which would you say is more essential? The Instant Pot or my round microwave, the wonder of 2012?

by Anonymousreply 31Last Wednesday at 5:06 PM

I adore my Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic 1-1/2-Quart Ice Cream Maker. I just wish it came in a 6 quart variety.

by Anonymousreply 32Last Wednesday at 6:08 PM

I am also a Multi-cooker fan (another word for InstaPot combi pressure cooker slow cooker and mine sautes extremely well also). I have a diff brand, slightly more expensive (Fagor) and love the hell out of it. Whoever thinks “this isnt real cooking” is simply stupid.

I have made startling delicious jars of Lemon Curd, Cuban pork shoulder in 55mins, Coq Au Vin, Asian spare ribs, etc and yes it IS REAL COOKING. In a pinch I cooked Big Yukon potatoes for my Thanksgiving dinner in 6mins. Mashed and DONE in :15 total. Or I could have watched the water take :20 to reach a boil, then supervised the spuds for another 45mins. InstaPot, Fagor, Exceed any crock pot out there, but also are excellent slo cookers too.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Wednesday at 6:38 PM

Does the Insta Crock clear cookies, too?

by Anonymousreply 34Last Wednesday at 6:47 PM

I never heard of this thing until last week when my mother told me a friend had given her one. I’m not sure what it does but if it’s anything like a crockpot no thanks. I don’t like the food that comes out of those.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Wednesday at 6:56 PM

I've always used a pressure cooker for beans and I was late to the Instant Pot because its maximum pressure is lower than a stovetop model. I thought it would be a lot slower, but the time difference is negligible....maybe five minutes longer at most. What I like best is that I don't have to babysit it.

The sauté function gets a little too hot when it's on high and the Bluetooth disconnects all the time, but for making beans or slow-cooking grains it's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Wednesday at 7:42 PM

Op is a mom AND a busy career gal!

by Anonymousreply 37Last Wednesday at 7:47 PM

That's right R37!

One must keep going, going, going in this busy and modern world!

by Anonymousreply 38Last Wednesday at 8:09 PM

r33 I don't have an Instant Pot, but I have another electric pressure cooker (Cuisinart) and I find that some of the time savings are offset by the amount of time it takes to (1) come up to pressure and (2) release the pressure (using the natural release.) Also, the first time I did dried beans, they were overcooked and mushy. And unlike with conventional stovetop cooking, there's no way to check for doneness. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 39Last Wednesday at 8:10 PM

I bought an InstantPot three years ago, used it twice, and donated it to Goodwill. It wasn't a good purchase. R39 pretty much sums up the experience.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Wednesday at 8:12 PM

R39, always use the lowest pressure for beans. I do and they come out firm.

by Anonymousreply 41Last Wednesday at 8:14 PM

NY Times article: Why Do Cooks Love the Instant Pot? I bought one to find out.

by Anonymousreply 42Last Wednesday at 8:17 PM

This must be product placement.

It diminishes flavor and creates a mushy texture.

I was given one and found I could only use it for Beans.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Wednesday at 9:51 PM

here is some real 411

by Anonymousreply 44Last Wednesday at 10:15 PM

Very dedicated shilling.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Wednesday at 10:24 PM

It is dedicated shilling.

The linked video shows eggs being cooked 3 minute eggs, you can fucking cook them on the stove in 3 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 46Last Thursday at 12:48 AM

These devices are for people who are content with hospital food.

When you've never tasted good home cooking and have no idea what it's about... instant pot cookers and pressure cookers will do you fine.

There's a reason why serious cook don't use them.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Thursday at 1:49 AM

The video (at R44) on how to cook eggs in an electric pressure cooker shows how stupid people are.

Hard cooked eggs in the pressure cooker contraption: 8-9 minutes.

However, if you put eggs in an old fashioned pot with a lid, cover them with cold water, close the pot, turn on the flame to high, as soon as the water starts to boil turn of the heat.

Let the pot sit for 10 minutes undisturbed (a few minutes longer will do no harm)...and you'll have perfectly cooked eggs.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Thursday at 2:00 AM

R48 overcooked eggs. I find 7 minutes to be better.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Thursday at 2:34 AM

7 min are great for a moister, slightly undercooked yolk. For a hard boiled egg with fully cooked yolk, 7 min won't do.

by Anonymousreply 50Last Thursday at 2:38 AM

7 is perfect for fully cooked still moist. 10 turns them to rubber.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Thursday at 2:44 AM

R51 you're simply wrong.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Thursday at 2:52 AM

If you love your Instant Pot for pressure cooking, you'll love a real pressure cooker, like a Presto or a Fissler.

I have both. Each has its charms.

by Anonymousreply 53Last Thursday at 2:59 AM

I use an old heavy gauge aluminum pot my grandmother had. Yesterday I made beef stew in about the same time as an Instant Pot. And I used frozen stew beef.

Coat 1 lb. beef with flour in a plastic bag Brown beef on all side in oil Cover beef with water, plus one inch Toss in two cubes of beef bullion Bring to boil, then simmer for 45 mins. Add potatoes, carrots, 1 diced onions and 1 diced turnips Bring to boil once more and simmer for 1 hour Add more beef bullion to taste Add frozen peas and let stand for 15 mins.

Delish.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Thursday at 3:20 AM

Comical that a poster thinks a multi-pot user doesnt know “good home cooking” and are content with “hospital food.” In fact many foodies are very very innovative in the kitchens. We would have been the people to 1st purchase stand mixers, experiment with immersion sous vide, appreciate new food trends. Some of these items can actually be prepared in a bowl, parceled into jars and placed in the cookers with a little water. If you want to stand over a hot stove endlessly stirring and freaking out waiting for a custard to thicken be my guest. I esp like that there is only one pot to wash. ONE. Just one damn pot. That can never be overrated. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Thursday at 3:33 AM

R55 Do you "foodies" need an instant pot electric cooker to make a custard too?

by Anonymousreply 56Last Thursday at 3:40 AM

Let me tell you about my excellent pancake machine. Changed my life.

by Anonymousreply 57Last Thursday at 4:04 AM

OP how does it do with pie? Good crispy crust?

by Anonymousreply 58Last Thursday at 4:07 AM

How do we feel about sous vide?

by Anonymousreply 59Last Thursday at 7:20 AM

Dangling my meat in a hot tub usually ends with my ankles around my ears, R59.

by Anonymousreply 60Last Friday at 1:28 AM

Sous vide is a passing trend. Pressure cooking is a movement.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Friday at 4:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!