Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ethnic Whites

Which groups or people do you consider ethnic whites? I think Bulgarians fall into this category. Some people think whites with Native American blood too, like Sam Bradford.

by Anonymousreply 108Last Wednesday at 10:39 PM

Cecily Strong

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2017

Umm, we know for a damn fact DL considers Italians ethnic..

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2017

Anglos are an ethnic white.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2017

What are babbling about OP ? What kind of bullshit are you talking about ? You are like that stupid frau bitch on the Ancestry.com propaganda commercial, blathering on about her ethnicity being from every nation. I wish people would stop the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2017

[quote] You are like that stupid frau bitch on the Ancestry.com propaganda commercial, blathering on about her ethnicity being from every nation.

I abhor the one who says she told then “Hispanic” when she was asked about her ethnicity. That’s not an ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2017

What the fuck is NOT an ethnic white? The range of ethnicities within whites is pretty wide.

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2017

Are Irish considered "ethnic white" in the US anymore?

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2017

Is “adjacent” the DL equivalent of “ethnic white” on DL?

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2017

r7 no, just NYC cops

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2017

Woo rank the races!! Tier 1 White-anglo Saxon (Germany, England,Scotland) Nordic (Sweden, Denmark, etc) Tier II almost white- Irish, French, Italians Their III white adjacent - white South Americans, eastern euros, East Asians White but not "white"- JEWS, 'cock'us mountians, iran Tier 4 not white- India, black people

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2017

I think the Zulus.

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2017

(Quote)What the fuck is NOT an ethnic white? The range of ethnicities within whites is pretty wide.

Someone whose background would not be scrutinized by the parents if their bf/ gf brought them home and announced they were engaged. I attended college with guys whose parents forbade him to get involved with Jews, Slavs (that's right Melania), Greeks, Italians & Spaniards. Russian was ok as long as there was no visible Mongol blood. First thing out of their mouths was always, "So where are your parents from? No, where are they really from?" One friend wound up with a woman who makes his life utter hell, while the love of his life (Jamaican) married a Jewish man and they run a successfull business and have gorgeous children.

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2017

r11 quite big tits

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2017

My parents said the same, r12, but also said no Russians, no Irish, no Catholics - under any circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2017

R2 Italians aren't white.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2017

I thought 'ethnic' if discussing one set of people (without comparison) referred to people outside where there ethnicity can be traced to. So yes there are white people outside of Europe, but they're all 'ethnic white' because white people are native to Europe only.

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2017

True, r15.

Neither are Greeks.

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2017

Greeks and Italians in America would beg to differ, r17.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2017

Italian

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2017

And Italian. Ethnicity =/= race and race and both are subject to change during different social periods.

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2017

That doesn’t change facts, r18.

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2017

LOL @ R21. I was waiting for Erna to wag her putrid ass on this thread, but you'll do for now.

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2017

R11 HUGE TATAS!

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2017

Italian

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2017

Italian

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2017

Italian

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2017

Ethnic white simply means non-Germanic. Slavs, the Irish, Southern Europeans and Jews, basically.

by Anonymousreply 2710/29/2017

Awesome rack on the dancing girls.

by Anonymousreply 2810/29/2017

Aren't both Irish and Scots Celtic? Are they both ethnic white?

by Anonymousreply 2910/29/2017

I'm half Italian and always bought into the American stereotype of Italians as swarthy gangstas or rough trade New Jersey types and wondered why my family wasn't like that. Where were MY mafia relatives? I'm light brown hair/blue eyed via the Italian side. Then I went to Italy. Northern Italia (where my family is from) are whitey white. Sicilia or the boot is where the American stereotype of ethnic whites comes from.

Other than that, there is still a lingering WASP prejudice among older people that anyone who isn't Anglo Saxon or Nordic isn't really white (including the whiter than white Irish) because they are too emotional. Just bring up the Russians. That always fucks those people up. lol. They don't want to claim them. It's just tribalism.

by Anonymousreply 3010/29/2017

Except for Trump of course, who if anything, went full Russian and anti-Anglo Saxon breeding/manners/reserve.

by Anonymousreply 3110/29/2017

Isn't Trump Irish? What does that make him in the white o meter

by Anonymousreply 3210/29/2017

Trump is majority German/Scottish with a thing for Slavic women.

by Anonymousreply 3310/29/2017

[quote] Just bring up the Russians. That always fucks those people up. lol. They don't want to claim them.

That’s easy: Russians aren’t really European. They’re mixed with Asian and have European pretensions thanks to Peter the Great. If it weren’t for the German princesses they married they’d still be Mongols on the steppes.

by Anonymousreply 3410/29/2017

True, r34.

by Anonymousreply 3510/29/2017

How about the French? They are technically outside the WASP-o-meter due to Catholicism and romance language roots, but what about the white-o-meter?

by Anonymousreply 3610/29/2017

If you're German Scots are you still white? Is Scots white or Celtic?

by Anonymousreply 3710/29/2017

My parents considered the French quite adjacent.

They would have died if I had brought one home.

A Huguenot may have been tolerated, with serious reservations.

by Anonymousreply 3810/29/2017

OP every white is an ethnic white you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3910/29/2017

I think German Scots would be considered white.

Scottish ancestry seems to be fine, but definitely not Irish.

by Anonymousreply 4010/29/2017

German and Irish are the two largest white ethnic groups in the US. OP can you define what white ethnic means to you?

by Anonymousreply 4110/29/2017

R38 = Gloria Upson

by Anonymousreply 4210/29/2017

R40 Why are the Irish consisted not white? I've noticed this too. A Protestant catholic thing? Do you have to be Protestant to be white?

by Anonymousreply 4310/29/2017

Why is it all Irish Catholics are such social climbers? Do you suppose it's because their mothers were all maids?... Oh, I don't mean you.

by Anonymousreply 4410/29/2017

The German did that because they were direct competition to the social hierarchy in which German Americans were at the top. Funny enough, that quickly went away when the Italians and other whites started coming. Remember that the Italians were not seen as white and would often be lynched by German and Irish.

by Anonymousreply 4510/29/2017

I was told by an 18-yr-old UK boyfriend in the 80s that he wouldn't deal with me if I weren't Northern Italian because the others "weren't civilized".

by Anonymousreply 4610/29/2017

My father used to joke that Italians were not white. Haha, not funny. And we are Greek.

However, Greeks and Italians are often familiar with the expression Una Faccia Una Razza, Italian for "one face, one race" bonding Greeks and Italians together due to the strong historical, population and cultural ties.

by Anonymousreply 4710/29/2017

Did the white hierarchy transfer to the US or were there any changes along the way from Europe? I've met quite a few Scots Irish from the south. Did they intermarry more here than in Britain?

by Anonymousreply 4810/29/2017

R32 Trump's mother was from Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 4910/29/2017

And this is why it is so funny Prince Harry becoming engaged to a partially AA actress because the remnants of royalty were the gold standard for WASP racism/xenophobia.

by Anonymousreply 5010/29/2017

Although the Queen has always looked like a nice, Jewish girl to me. She should get her DNA done.

by Anonymousreply 5110/29/2017

R43 The Irish were considered an inferior race. I believe in one U.S. Census they had their own box. Eventually they became seen as white.

by Anonymousreply 5210/29/2017

Do the Scottish look down on the Irish then?

by Anonymousreply 5310/29/2017

God, these are the only threads that are bigger shit magnets than the Trump! shrieker threads.

A few facts for you parlor doilies that never leave the virginal. Germany has more Celts than Britain and Ireland. Many North Africans are wholly white by blood. A part of Ireland's population, the Dublin Irish, are descended from Vikings (look up the Battle of Clontarf).

I see the anti-Med morons set their teacups down long enough to "contribute". Vafunculo! Never mind them, R2. Their food is punishment enough. Leg of lamb without garlic or gravy. No Christmas raviolis. Salt, salt and more salt. (...urp)

My favorite gag: A novice asks for audience with the Mother Superior. She says to the Mother Superior, "I'm leaving the Church and I am going to become a prostitute". The Mother Superior, ashen and aghast says "My child, you cannot do such a thing! What about the Lord, what about your commitment, and your family.." MOTHER SUPERIOR!" says the novice more forcefully, "I AM LEAVING THE CHURCH AND I AM GOING TO BECOME A PROSTITUTE!".

"A PROSTITUTE"? says the Mother Superior. Oh Thank God, I thought you said "PROTESTANT"!

by Anonymousreply 5410/29/2017

Does this mean Irish and Italians are less racist than the Nordic whites? I've met a few Irish Italian guys and quite the fav, maybe a catholic thing.

by Anonymousreply 5510/29/2017

Not so much now, especially since they want independence and have rediscovered their Celtic identity, but back in the day there could be a tension. I remember in the 6th grade (80s) a hispanic/scots-american kid joyfully announcing to an irish-american kid across from him with a big smile on his face that they were supposed to hate each. That he was an Orangeman. But it was a joke by then - like astrology. It may have been less of a joke with the parents or Back East.

by Anonymousreply 5610/29/2017

Haha R54. My Irish lesbian friend said her partners very DAR mother was more upset that she was Irish than they were lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 5710/29/2017

R12

By your definition WASPs are ethnic whites. When I was growing up WASPs were seen as weak drunks, so parents were not to happy to see them pairing up with their children.

by Anonymousreply 5810/29/2017

[Quote]German and Irish are the two largest white ethnic groups in the US. OP can you define what white ethnic means to you?

Personally, I think each individual should be allowed to define his/ her identity. I would be perfectly fine if Rasheeda Jones, Meghan Markle or Maya Rudolph said they identified as white. Conversely, if Penn Badgely, Steven Tyler or Shaileen Woodly claimed their black culture, I would have no problem with that either.

by Anonymousreply 5910/29/2017

[quote] Personally, I think each individual should be allowed to define his/ her identity

Sadly that's rarely the case. The bulk of the problems among peoples is other people telling you who you are.

Also, why WASP? Aren't all Anglo Saxons white? Why not ASP?

by Anonymousreply 6010/29/2017

I don't know. With the older generations, I think some Irish can be more openly racist because of proximity (see fox news) - the same way deplorables can be more openly racist. WASPs can be more polite because, well, they are WASPs lol, but more coldly brutal. At the same time, there was a LOT more mixing and more friendships formed. There were more opportunities for couples to meet and less money to protect.

by Anonymousreply 6110/29/2017

Are we talking about white ethnicities in America?

Because if that's the case then the German and Irish are interchangeable in America, Southern Deplorables are mostly German and Northern Deplorables are mostly Irish. The English have mostly migrated to the West Coast and the Italians are mostly in the North East and the Southwest.

by Anonymousreply 6210/29/2017

All of them, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6310/29/2017

R62 none of what you said is true.

by Anonymousreply 6410/29/2017

In terms of color, I find east Asians to be whiter than white

by Anonymousreply 6510/29/2017

[quote] Southern Deplorables are mostly German and Northern Deplorables are mostly Irish.

I'd say so too from my experience.

by Anonymousreply 6610/29/2017

Many white ethnics have been here so long and are so intermixed with other white ethnics that they don't identify with a particular white ethnic group. A lot of them don't even know their entire heritage.

Many of Irish descent are now Republicans but there are still many Irish Americans in the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 6710/29/2017

When I was young people on Manhunt weirdly used to tell me I was sexy and “exotic” looking and ask my ethnicity. As far as I knew, I was mostly Irish, plus some German and French.

Took a DNA test a couple of years ago and found out how exotic I really am. 60% British! The rest Irish, and 2% each Scandinavian and Iberian. Oh, one percent is from the Caucasus—so now I tell people I am only one percent Caucasian and they look at me like I’m Rachel Dolezal, which I love.

I am basically as unexotic as it gets from a US or NW European sense. It’s like the brothers who bombed Boston and were immediately dubbed Muslim terrorists because they are and look literally Caucasian, from the Caucasus.

The “ethnic” thing is misguided and lame.

by Anonymousreply 6810/29/2017

I thought that southern deplorables were mostly French.

by Anonymousreply 6910/29/2017

[quote] A lot of them don't even know their entire heritage.

True especially of the south. Which is why it has been said that America was born in the south.

by Anonymousreply 7010/29/2017

[quote] Leg of lamb without garlic or gravy.

Gravy?

by Anonymousreply 7110/29/2017

My Ancestry DNA test is now idenifying “genetic communities,” and informed me one day that I belong to three so far...fascinatingly accurate:

-Early English settlers of Eastern North Carolina. My father’s whole family is from NC.

-Early settlers of Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana. My mother’s mother is Irish, from Pennsylvania, although her family arrived 2 generations ago, so not “early.”

-Connacht Irish, from around Galway. That, it turns out, is where the Irish grandmother’s family is from. Also likely the Iberian, since people from the west coast of Ireland are the most closely related to the Basque people of Spain/France. They’re not Celtic at all.

by Anonymousreply 7210/29/2017

This is completly stupid. Genetically, europeans have interbred for thousands of years and are all related to each other. There's no white adjacent. Italians and Eastern Europeans are an admixture like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 7310/29/2017

R73 Actually a woman I talk to on Twitter is from Galway in Ireland and she told me that her family has a lot of health problems, and they took genetic tests and found out they are over 98 percent Connact. They’ve been so inbred, she said, that they have three major genetic diseases in the family. So they aren’t all interbred. Some of them are extraordinarily inbred.

by Anonymousreply 7410/29/2017

[quote]none of what you said is true.

R64 = A triggered German

by Anonymousreply 7510/29/2017

This is a total generalization, but I've always found the Italians and the Irish to be most racist and bigoted of all white people. Which is ironic, since they were treated the worst by white people when they started immigrating to this country. When I know that someone is going to be pure racist, just ask for their last name and it will probably be Italian or Irish.

by Anonymousreply 7610/29/2017

R76, are you kidding me? Look at all those racist southerners who keep electing racist politicians in places like Alabama - whatever ethnicity they are.

by Anonymousreply 7710/29/2017

They are disproportionately German. Please! The Germans are trying to smear the Italians because they can't face the music of their own racist ethnic group.

by Anonymousreply 7810/29/2017

The most racist people in the United States can be defined more by geographical location than by ancestral background.

by Anonymousreply 7910/29/2017

[quote]If you're German Scots are you still white? Is Scots white or Celtic?

WTF is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 8010/29/2017

People of Russian-German descent, who are neither really Russian nor German (Mennonite descendants, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 81Last Wednesday at 12:34 PM

Anyone of European stock who is not British or Germanic (including Nordic) is an ethnic white. This basically includes any Catholic or Slavic countries and all Ashkenazi Jews.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Wednesday at 1:01 PM

Yes because the British and the Germans unlike the rest of the planet have no ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Wednesday at 2:03 PM

[quote]Italians aren't white.

This looks pretty fucking white to me. He could've walked into a Klan rally and nobody would've looked at him twice.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Wednesday at 2:41 PM

R84, that guy looks like Ronan Farrow.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Wednesday at 2:43 PM

Really r84? How about this Italian woman on the left? Could she waltz into the klan rally too and make it out alive?

by Anonymousreply 86Last Wednesday at 2:59 PM

Anybody who has origins from Europe but wasnt born there is 'ethnic white'. Because that is where 'white' people come from.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Wednesday at 3:03 PM

Really [R86]? How about this Italian woman? Could she waltz into the klan rally too and make it out alive?

by Anonymousreply 88Last Wednesday at 3:05 PM

R10 almost has it right with France being the exception. Norman vs. Corsica? Diverse population under one flag.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Wednesday at 3:19 PM

DL's fascination with ethnicity is fascinating.

I suspect most of you are Flyoverstanis?

In the rest of the US, everyone is some ethnicity or other and by my generation there are so many mutts, it's hard to keep track.

A lot of your prejudices or the prejudices you report seem to date back to the 1960s

by Anonymousreply 90Last Wednesday at 3:25 PM

My relative always said Italians were blacks turned inside out.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Wednesday at 3:32 PM

R51, I know! That's the big secret. Sister Margaret looked completely German Jew.

by Anonymousreply 92Last Wednesday at 3:34 PM

Most American whites don't know their full heritage. I didn't find out until I was in my 30's that one of my grandfathers that was born in the 1880's was from Austria/Bohemia. In the 1860s one of WASP grandfathers married a German woman. In the 1700s one of my grandmothers married a Frenchman who was captured as a prisoner of war and the last name was then anglicised.

If you are of WASP heritage you will find that they are extremely organized and wrote many genealogy books in the 1840s-1880s about their ancestors. If the WASP ancestor was of nobility then you will be able to trace your heritage to Charlemagne. After tracing a WASP ancestor with noble roots I literally found out I am a mix of all the ethnic groups Europe. Certain nationalities are further back, I found out I had noble Spanish and Italian ancestors in the 1400's.

Catholics, and Eastern Europeans didn't have as organized and egalitarian societies as the WASPS. Usually you can only track those ancestors back to when they got off the boat. Those people were peasants and were not counted as people or even educated properly. Only the nobility of their countries were very good about keeping track of their genealogy.

You have 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great grandparents, 16 gg grandparents, 32 ggg grandparents, 64, 128, 256, and on and on. 10 generations back you could have 1024 different grandparents. The more generations back the more ancestors people will have in common.

by Anonymousreply 93Last Wednesday at 3:37 PM

We're all related, hook or by crook. Irish, Turkish, French, Siciliano. We're all related through the Normans.

by Anonymousreply 94Last Wednesday at 3:37 PM

I know it's over a month ago, but is it still possible to track this OP down and show him an ethnic foot up his trolling ass?

by Anonymousreply 95Last Wednesday at 3:40 PM

Because people are desperately searching to belong.

My DNA test was a shocker! But with ancestors arriving in the 1600s you know you're mixed up the gazoo. Inuit?

by Anonymousreply 96Last Wednesday at 3:46 PM

I love that I'm related somehow to most people on the planet. Love it! The future will be like this foe everyone.

by Anonymousreply 97Last Wednesday at 3:48 PM

Princess Margaret's husband Lord Snowden used to insult her by saying "you look like a Jewish manicurist."

And yeah you can kind of see what he meant, especially as she got older.

by Anonymousreply 98Last Wednesday at 3:57 PM

Foe

by Anonymousreply 99Last Wednesday at 3:57 PM

Its true we are all related. If you have WASP ancestors you can usually trace them back in the census to the 1860s. Then google the ancestor's names that you find. I guarantee you will find info about them in one of those old 1840's-1860's WASP genealogy books. In those old books they can usually be traced back to the 1550s. Right to the time of the Protestant Reformation. If you find a WASP ancestor descended from nobility then it's possible to trace back over a thousand years. Then you will find you are mixed from everywhere in Europe.

Most WASPS have a noble descended ancestor so that means they have probably have medieval noble Italian and Spanish blood from about the 1300-1400's.

by Anonymousreply 100Last Wednesday at 4:01 PM

Where does DL fave Brenton Thwaites fit into this?

by Anonymousreply 101Last Wednesday at 4:06 PM

Italian nobility doesn't count. Handed out by the church. Some is real. About 3 %

by Anonymousreply 102Last Wednesday at 4:14 PM

This is all getting so stupid. People are people. All that really matters is if you're a good person. Or hot.

"Ethnic white":

by Anonymousreply 103Last Wednesday at 4:32 PM

"Black girl"

by Anonymousreply 104Last Wednesday at 4:34 PM

Where does Shawn Mendes fall into this?

by Anonymousreply 105Last Wednesday at 4:36 PM

All of 'em!

by Anonymousreply 106Last Wednesday at 4:40 PM

How about this Sicilian woman? Would the klan welcome her?

by Anonymousreply 107Last Wednesday at 10:29 PM

We don't seem to have French Americans. What's with that

by Anonymousreply 108Last Wednesday at 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!