Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's discuss Amy Irving.

She supposedly was quite the bitch to Spielberg.

And that Oscar nomination for Yentl? How the hell did that happen?

by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2020 1:26 AM

Such a weirdly affected actress. Surprised she had as much of a career as she did. Was she a bitch to Spielberg before or after Kate Capshaw came along?

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2017 5:37 AM

It took HOURS to straighten her hair, HOURS!

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2017 5:49 AM

before r1.

she supposedly was really dismissive of him as a geek even while they were dating. People felt she was only with him to better her career. She must have been so annoyed when he cast Karen Allen in Raiders. She was sort of the same type.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2017 5:52 AM

"I met a real heartbreaker last night."

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2017 6:00 AM

She's the one who'd insisted Tommy take Carrie to the dance.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2017 6:07 AM

She was really good in Crossing Delancey.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2017 6:43 AM

I seem to recall that she broke up with Spielberg frequently in the years they dated before they were married.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2017 7:40 AM

She got a $100 million divorce settlement. She's fine. A thread started by an internet troll farm is probably not going to affect her. You minions must be getting desperate if you're resorting to an Amy Irving thread.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2017 7:47 AM

oops...effect

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2017 7:50 AM

r8 is triggered!

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2017 7:51 AM

Maybe you should leave the site if it is so beneath you r8.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2017 7:53 AM

she was great in Yentl. A luminous beauty in her day.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2017 7:57 AM

Amy Irving MUST go down. That bitch has it coming.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2017 8:16 AM

I don't know her

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2017 8:19 AM

“Irving, Amy. Divorced from Steven Spielberg; cheated on him with Willie Nelson.”

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2017 8:25 AM

Love her in DePalma's Carrie and she was even better his similarly-themed The Fury.

She deserved every penny she got, all things considered.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2017 9:25 AM

She actually was quite good in Traffic.

There! I said it.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2017 9:28 AM

It was one long "Taffeta, Darling", R7.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2017 9:40 AM

Wasn't the legend that Amy and Spielberg had become estranged and then when Barbra asked him to watch Yentl he supposedly fell in love with her again and they got married?

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2017 12:19 PM

'Effecting Amy' the new thread in which we bring down the uber important Ms Irving.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2017 12:24 PM

I just happened to watch Traffic and Amy's part was really small.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2017 12:30 PM

Did all copies of Micki and Maude get burnt in a studio fire? I remember seeing it once on cable (which was plenty) after it came out and then never again.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2017 12:33 PM

The only actress to receive an Oscar nomination AND a Razzie nod for the same performance.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2017 12:34 PM

Amy was a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2017 12:41 PM

Micki and Maude had that memorable scene with nude gun guys.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2017 1:31 PM

Is R8 Candy Hohen?

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2017 1:41 PM

You go to hell!

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2017 2:06 PM

...AND I THINK YOU'RE UNDERREACTING, MRS. CHADWICK!!

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2017 4:16 PM

omg...an Amy Irving thread! This will change how I think and feel about her past and future performances and start a new path in my life.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2017 4:21 PM

Her mother was a much better actress.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2017 4:22 PM

R22 you're just looking for a reason to talk about Ann Reinking and how she "ruined" that Oscar show.

How many threads do we have on that already?

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2017 4:40 PM

Amy Irving is a fine actress; regrettabley she hasn’t done much work. She’s a far better actress and much more good looking than Karen Allen. Amy’s mother, Priscilla Pointer is a wonderful character actress. She was marvelous in “Carrie” and “Mommie Dearest”.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2017 5:11 PM

Morgan and Victoria were much prettier.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2017 5:14 PM

I never liked her until I saw her on an episode of Dinner for Five with Jon Favreau. I think Alan Cumming and Issac Mizrahi were also on the episode. She came off very well. Cool chica.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2017 5:37 PM

I couldn’t enjoy Crossing Delaney because I found Peter Riegert to be so unattractive. I did like Amy in it, and I thought she was great in Yentl.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2017 8:52 PM

She got Ron Silver fired from an Arthur Miller play called Broken Glass back in the 90’s because he was such an asshole (though she’s no prize either).

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2017 9:03 PM

I love R4 for quoting Julia Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2017 9:52 PM

Oh god I loved her back in the day as Sue Snell. She was so perfectly earthy and really reminded me of some of the high school girls who babysat me back in the 70s.

I also love The Fury. It's tonally all over the place and kind of off its rocker, but it's so brilliantly done with some sublime set pieces. And Irving is fab in it. Her glowy blue telekinetic eyes as she makes Childress explode!

Hey, Irving hater!! Go SUKKIT!!!! Then FUKKIT!!!

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2017 10:12 PM

Brian De Palma's "The Fury" -1978

Amy was awful; Kirk was 'hammy'; Andrew Stevens (who?); and John Cassavetes was a 'dreamy-meanie.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2017 10:44 PM

She gets down and dirty in Kleptomania as a bulimic shoplifting socialite.

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2017 2:08 AM

Milk or lemon?

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2017 6:18 AM

I loved The Competition. I know it was cheesy, but.... loved it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2017 6:20 AM

She blamed her divorce from Spielberg for the demise of her career. Not necessarily him, just that it seemed Hollywood felt the need to take sides, so of course she lost.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2017 6:23 AM

Pauline Kael wrote a hilarious review of The Competition, saying that Amy and Richard Dreyfuss were in another kind of competition over their bad acting mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 44October 22, 2017 6:23 AM

Is that you, BT?

by Anonymousreply 45October 22, 2017 6:25 AM

R28 Perfect

by Anonymousreply 46October 22, 2017 6:43 AM

R44 Lee Remick had some bad ass monologue in that movie. Pretty campily great.

by Anonymousreply 47October 22, 2017 7:00 AM

I remember being quite impressed with her when she did Amadeus on Broadway.I was just a kid but I thought she was pretty good. I think I'd seen her in some movies (probably Carrie and The Fury) and thought she was kind of spacey so I was impressed that she did a serious play like that. (but then again I was like 10 so what did I know.)

She didn't get the movie and was quite bummed about it. (saw some interview online)

That was odd casting. First they hired Meg Tilly who probably would have been good and then she got injured and they replaced her with some actress who just didn't fit the film. She seemed so modern. Elizabeth McGovern is scene on the dvd extra's auditioning for the film. I wonder why Foreman didn't hire her. She'd done well for him with Ragtime. Or at least hire Irving instead of the woman he did . (Elizabeth Berridge whom I don't think acts much anymore.)

by Anonymousreply 48October 22, 2017 7:07 AM

Fun Fact: (for those who don;t know).... Crossing Delancey was originally a play done off-Broadway on 14th Street in the Jewish District. I saw the original production. It starred Melanie Mayron. (I always wondered what she thought of the movie).

by Anonymousreply 49October 22, 2017 7:17 AM

I remember seeing Mayron interviewed somewhere joking about her three big disappointments in show biz. One was that she didn't get the film of Crossing Delancey.

The second was that on "Playing for Time" she shaved her head and got all these great reviews and then Jane Alexander and Shirley Knight had it in their contracts that they'd get big Emmy advertising pushes and she didn't. Alexander and Knight both got Emmy nods and she didn't (Alexander even won) when it is obvious if you see the film that Mayron was the most deserving.

The third was some pilot she developed post thirtysomething that the studio bought but insisted somebody other than her play the lead.

by Anonymousreply 50October 22, 2017 8:25 AM

I totally agree! But don't tell Faye Dunaway I said that. She'll KILL me! Priscilla did try to upstage her in her one scene in Mommie Dearest.

OH NO! Here she comes!

by Anonymousreply 51October 22, 2017 8:31 AM

That was for r30 folks! All this plastic surgery is making me dizzy!

by Anonymousreply 52October 22, 2017 8:33 AM

[quote]A luminous beauty in her day.

[bold]?!?!?!?!?!?![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 53October 22, 2017 8:36 AM

Mayron would have been better in "Crossing Delancey". Irving is one of those people who was in everything and then vanished. If got $100M from Spielberg, she probably doesn't need to work.As thread material, she seems pretty dull--at least the once omnipresent Joyce Bulifant had a lot of husbands and some nasty rumors about her her behavior.

by Anonymousreply 54October 22, 2017 12:09 PM

I thought she was great in Carrie, but nothing else. Don't really know what Spielberg saw in her, though.

by Anonymousreply 55October 22, 2017 1:05 PM

Two sons. Max Spielberg on the left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 22, 2017 1:17 PM

All her slights, however grave they may be, must be forgiven for her performance here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2017 1:19 PM

He blacklisted her. She had just gain an Oscar nomination. He stopped her potential.

by Anonymousreply 58October 22, 2017 3:24 PM

Speilberg didn't want an intellectual, cultured, classically-trained actress with an NYC theater-and-cultcha pedigree who herself commanded and demanded lots of regard, as a life partner. He wanted a starlet who would give up her "acting career" to be his wifey-poo/momsy-poo and give HIM the adoring regard . . . from the sidelines.

by Anonymousreply 59October 22, 2017 4:04 PM

Agreed, r59!

by Anonymousreply 60October 22, 2017 4:08 PM

I always liked her. Sue Snell is such a tricky role. I don't think she gets enough credit for that. I even liked her when she brought the character back in the sequel.

I saw her in a production of A Little Night Music a few years back as Desiree and she was surprisingly terrific. Very warm and funny and her "Send in the Clowns" was heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 61October 22, 2017 7:27 PM

I had always thought she was very pretty on screen but not particularly special. Then I met her in person. She WAS beautiful. One of these people who just had this movie star glow.

by Anonymousreply 62October 22, 2017 7:40 PM

co-starring with Michael Ontkean in the movie Voices

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 22, 2017 7:44 PM

I don’t think Spielberg blacklisted her. She just got older so naturally the roles dried up.

by Anonymousreply 64October 22, 2017 7:48 PM

R64 She discussed it in an interview. Spielberg didn't blacklist her. After all, he was the one who left her for another woman and that was well known, (although I think they both admited their marriage was probably over).

It's just that Spielberg was considered one of the kings in Hollywood, and she thinks major directors felt uncomfortable having to work with her, and the fact she had reached the age where actresses have a difficult time finding roles didn't help.

But she then hooked up with Independent director, Bruno Baretto, and still managed to eke out a respectable list of credits.

by Anonymousreply 65October 22, 2017 7:54 PM

She knows where the bodies are buried

Remember the whole Twilight Zone accident that killed Vic Morrow and those two girls? Spielberg flew to the UK to avoid any legal problems. Amy knows it all, including the other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 66October 22, 2017 8:08 PM

[quote] Spielberg flew to the UK to avoid any legal problems

How long did he stay? Didn't the trial go on for a long time?

John Landis acted like such a dick during that whole thing. The jury was supposedly in awe of the Hollywood big shot and let him off. ' I remember him giggling and smiling when he was acquitted. No respect for the people who died.

by Anonymousreply 67October 23, 2017 1:45 AM

Yeah, she's not with Bruno Barretto any more. She is on her third husband, a documentary guy named Kenneth Bowser. There's an interview out there where Bruno Barretto references how "losing her was very hard for me" or something like that. But where is the DISH???? Photos of Bowser from about 2008 are very good-looking. But in recent photos he looks unwell ... . or un-something.

by Anonymousreply 68October 24, 2017 6:31 AM

Ew. Max Spielberg is dumps ugs. He’s vulgar looking

by Anonymousreply 69October 24, 2017 9:38 AM

Thanks for starting this thread.... HUGE Amy Irving fan here... Loved her in Carrie, The Fury and Voices...

The Competition is my favorite Amy Irving movie... Yes it is a bit campy, but in addition to Amy it had the divine Lee Remick and the final competition scenes still give me goosebumps 36 years later.

by Anonymousreply 70October 24, 2017 10:01 AM

[quote]How long did he stay?

He shot Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom which was filmed in the UK (studios) and India as location.

by Anonymousreply 71October 24, 2017 2:10 PM

As an actress, she has the emotional range of a turnip, yet none of the charm.

by Anonymousreply 72October 24, 2017 3:31 PM

[quote] She got Ron Silver fired from an Arthur Miller play called Broken Glass back in the 90’s because he was such an asshole (though she’s no prize either).

I'm not sure Silver was fired from the play. I think he quit. And Amy herself was a last minute replacement for Dianne Wiest. The pre-Broadway production was a disaster. I don't think the producers knew what they wanted,

by Anonymousreply 73October 24, 2017 3:43 PM

The book Easy Riders, Raging Bulls details a little bit of their relationship. I read it years ago, but from what I remember Irving was made out to be a bit of a nightmare and was not well-liked by most of Spielberg's friends. I don't remember if she was mean to him for being a geek, but I do recall the book saying he was essentially a huge nerd and much more straight-laced than the other directors he came of age with in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 74October 24, 2017 3:53 PM

R72= Kate Capshaw

by Anonymousreply 75October 24, 2017 4:03 PM

"I'm not sure Silver was fired from the play. I think he quit."

Hmm. The scuttlebutt at the time was that Irving disliked him intensely and told the producers and Miller something along the lines of "I can't work with him - he goes or I do". They chose her. Silver is known for being a major league jerk.

As for Irving, she was not a last-minute replacement. She came into the show during the premiere run at the Long Wharf Theater before it came to Broadway. Silver left during that run and David Dukes took over and then followed the show to Broadway for it's brief run.

I saw Irving in the Lincoln Center production of Stoppard's COAST OF UTOPIA and thought she was very good in it.

by Anonymousreply 76October 24, 2017 5:13 PM

I saw Broken Glass and it was a snooze-fest that could have done with Ron Silver. David Dukes may have been more accommodating but he didn't have Ron's range.

by Anonymousreply 77October 27, 2017 12:41 PM

Sometimes at home alone I reenact her big finale in The Fury.

by Anonymousreply 78October 27, 2017 1:20 PM

Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will.

by Anonymousreply 79October 27, 2017 1:29 PM

R78 -

Do you do this while watching Trump on the news?

by Anonymousreply 80October 27, 2017 2:10 PM

I've read about Spielberg's complicated relationships with Amy Irving and Kate Capshaw. I think Capshaw is the love of his life. For some reason, they couldn't ever seem to work it out in the 1980s. I think if I remember correctly, Capshaw broke up with him more than the other way around. During one of their off periods, he met Irving again after their last break-up and reconnected. I think Irving got pregnant and they decided to get married.

Irving doesn't seem to have any bitterness whatsoever about Spielberg and Capshaw. I think Irving and Spielberg realized they got married for the wrong reasons. Rumor is Spielberg started hooking up with Capshaw again when he knew his marriage was failing and he and Irving finally agreed on a divorce. Irving got a huge sum ($100 million) and never had to work again.

by Anonymousreply 81October 27, 2017 2:27 PM

I just loved her and Ann Reinking in that MICKI & MAUDE Movie. It was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 82November 10, 2017 3:47 PM

R82 given DL you might be joking, but I saw it when I was 8 I think and I thought it was hi-larious. I assumed it wouldn't hold up when I saw it many years later and it's not a classic but I still really liked it. Dudley Moore was quite good - I don't think he made a decent movie after that.

by Anonymousreply 83November 11, 2017 7:20 AM

I saw her years in a Broadway production of Shaw's "Heartbreak House", and she was excellent, more than holding her own with such theater luminaries as Rex Harrison, Rosemary Harris, Dana Ivey and Philip Bosco.

by Anonymousreply 84November 11, 2017 7:55 AM

R83, not kidding AT ALL!!! I was ten when I saw it and i loved it. Agreed, its no classic, but I still enjoy it. Just thinking about Nurse Verbeck makes me chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 85November 11, 2017 3:35 PM

R15 I saw Honeysuckle Rose when it came out and she obviously had a black eye in some of the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 86November 11, 2017 4:22 PM

Used to get her mixed up with Karen Allen, bet Speilberg fucked her too

by Anonymousreply 87November 11, 2017 7:52 PM

Karen Allen was terrific in "Raiders" and also in "Starman". She should have had a bigger career. Spielberg was wrong to replace her with wife Capshaw in the 2nd Indiana Jones movie.

by Anonymousreply 88November 11, 2017 10:40 PM

Wasn't the rumor that her marriage to Spielberg (which was before his marriage to Capshaw) ended when Irving had an affair with Ben Cross? And that the affair is what ruined Ben Cross's career.

Not saying any of this is true, only that I recall hearing it at the time.

by Anonymousreply 89November 11, 2017 10:44 PM

I absolutely love that gorgeous shot in Carrie of Amy/Sue Snell at the prom where her entire face FILLS the screen as she realizes what's abut to go down. That one shot says so much and is so beautifully done. She didn't know; that's the big twist.

by Anonymousreply 90November 11, 2017 11:22 PM

LOVED Amy Irving. That's all I got.

by Anonymousreply 91November 11, 2017 11:37 PM

Amy was the singing voice of Jessica Rabbit; it's kinda funny how she sounds nothing like Kathleen Turner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 11, 2017 11:56 PM

"Let's discuss Amy Irving."

Smart chick. When SS proposed marriage to her in a bar, she'd coyly asked him to write up and sign a Pre-nup on a cocktail napkin. During their divorce proceedings, the judge overseeing their divorce proceedings had ruled in favor of Amy per said agreement.

by Anonymousreply 93November 12, 2017 12:19 AM

"Let's discuss Amy Irving."

Smart chick. When SS proposed marriage to her in a bar, she'd coyly asked him to write up and sign a pre-nup on a cocktail napkin. During their divorce proceedings, the judge overseeing their divorce proceedings had ruled in favor of Amy per said agreement.

by Anonymousreply 94November 12, 2017 12:22 AM

She got $100 million to keep her mouth shut cause she knew steven liked penis . read up on how he got his ex lover , who was a twin , who was going to rape him, put away for 25yrs. that shut himm up

by Anonymousreply 95November 12, 2017 1:01 AM

There was a Bob Costas interview on youtube where she discusses how she felt divorcing Speilberg hurt her career. People were afraid to hire her apparently.

She's done well on Broadway theater in recent years. She was in that epic The Coast of Utopia.

by Anonymousreply 96November 12, 2017 1:05 AM

She also appeared full-frontal nude with Dennis Hopper in "Carried Away". Both of them. Plus she was in some films with her Brazilian film director husband.

by Anonymousreply 97November 12, 2017 2:29 AM

How can she be ok with him if he’s a pervert?

by Anonymousreply 98November 12, 2017 5:11 AM

Crossing Delancey was on today.

Underrated movie.

by Anonymousreply 99September 7, 2020 12:38 AM

As a young gayling, I kinda had a crush on her. I was still a bit confused (whether I liked boys or girls better). The whole Yentyl things really did a number on my mind.

by Anonymousreply 100September 7, 2020 12:41 AM

I've talked to her on the phone at work. She was very nice. She also treated my staff really nice and with respect.

by Anonymousreply 101September 7, 2020 12:46 AM

The Troll Takedown Trifecta is now complete: Tilda Swinton, Linda Blair and now Amy fucking Irving.

by Anonymousreply 102September 7, 2020 12:46 AM

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC AT THE OPERA THEATRE OF ST. LOUIS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 7, 2020 1:42 AM

That annoying little bitch actually began to think she was the real Anastasia.

by Anonymousreply 104September 7, 2020 2:55 AM

A great beauty.

$99 million was great 'fuck you" money. but she wanted to keep acting, and Hollywood wouldn't let her do it.

by Anonymousreply 105September 7, 2020 6:20 AM

R8, you minion, you had it right the first time. “Affect”

by Anonymousreply 106September 7, 2020 7:17 AM

She was pretty and could act, but something about her has always bugged me. A certain smugness or reserve...I dunno. Just could never warm to her.

by Anonymousreply 107September 7, 2020 8:04 AM

I can’t accept her as a blonde.

by Anonymousreply 108September 7, 2020 8:17 AM

She has always been striking looking—her eyes, cheekbones, hair. She's always been beautiful. She still looks fantastic, even in her late sixties. I also think she is a very good actress, and I loved her in "Carrie" and "The Fury." I can see where R107 is coming from though in terms of her coming off as smug—I've seen interviews with her where she does seem very pleased with herself. Not sure if this is actually the case, but I also detect a bit of arrogance. Part of it could just have something to do with the way she speaks, because she has an extremely measured cadence.

by Anonymousreply 109September 7, 2020 4:29 PM

I just saw her in the Soderbergh film Unsane. She had a small role.

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2020 12:53 AM

[quote] A thread started by an internet troll farm is probably not going to affect her.

Yes, the Russian government will stop at nothing in its ruthless quest to damage Amy Irving’s romantic life.

by Anonymousreply 111September 14, 2020 1:01 AM

It's been mentioned upthread, but just barely....

If (as speculated), neither Amy nor Spielberg were faithful to one another during their 4-year marriage, why exactly did she walk away with $100 million? She did bear him a son during that time, but still...

Amy knows... a lot. She knows things about SS that she will never, ever tell. My guess is she'd never compromise SS anyway, for the sake of their son. But the $100 million settlement (and it's a settlement, not court-awarded) guarantees her silence.

I do think someone else is gonna bring him down, though. Or die trying.

by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2020 1:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!